Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,430 members, 7,839,850 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 10:32 AM

I Watched In Horror As Our Abductors Shot Eight Captives Dead Inside Oyo Forest - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / I Watched In Horror As Our Abductors Shot Eight Captives Dead Inside Oyo Forest (37504 Views)

‘I Watched In Horror As They Slaughtered My Daughter Like An Animal’ (Picture) / Inside Oyo Islamic Torture House Where Children Are Caged / 200 Bandits Repent In Sokoto, Release Eight Captives (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Watched In Horror As Our Abductors Shot Eight Captives Dead Inside Oyo Forest by Curious345: 5:29am On May 11
On Wednesday April 17, four men left the Ilogbo area of Ogun State to attend a burial in the Saki area of Oyo State, but only two of them returned home alive following their abduction by a deadly gang of herdsmen on the highway. In this interview with KUNLE AKINRINADE, one of the victims, Nurudeen Olaitan Salami, who was later freed by the kidnappers, shares the heartrending encounter and narrow escape from death in the den of the kidnappers.

You were abducted by gunmen on April 17 alongside three others while returning from a burial. How did it happen?

It was an all-night final burial party of the mother of the chairman of Ilupeju Igbusi Ilogbo Community Development Association. As landlords and members of the community, I together with three others, namely Omogbolahan Olakunle, Rafiu Oriade Jolaiya and Ernest left work on that day to honour our chairman with our presence at the party.

After the party, we stayed back for a few hours on Thursday, April 18 to relax before boarding a minibus en route Lagos in the afternoon. It was a nine-passenger bus, and before it took off from the motorpark at Saki, some of our acquaintances who also came from Lagos gave us two loaves of Bokku bread and four soft drinks.

When our bus finally left the park around 3.30 pm, our expectation was a peaceful and exciting return to our base in Ogun State while savoured the bread and soft drinks our hosts gave to us. But about an hour later, the bus we boarded screeched to a halt at a checkpoint mounted by five AK-47 clutching herdsmen around the Maya axis of Lanlate-Eruwa Road.

Like a scene from a movie, the bandits dragged all the passengers out of the bus and led us into the forest, while they left two teenage Fulani passengers and the driver of the bus to continue the trip.

What then happened in the forest?
The first thing they did to us was to beat us and collect our bread and soft drinks, which they ate and drank in our presence. From there, we became the recipient of brutality and assault as they hit us constantly with sticks, and the flat ends of cutlass, and also slapped us repeatedly. They had on them a phone that looked like a satellite phone which they charged with a solar panel and used it to communicate with their contacts and family members of victims.

They didn’t want to see any iPhone at all. So the iPhones they seized from us, including mine, were all smashed on the ground and destroyed.

Apart from you and others that were seized from the bus, did you meet other victims in the forest?

Yes. Only seven of the nine passengers in our bus were kidnapped while two Fulani passengers and the driver of the bus were allowed to go. But inside the forest, we met no fewer than 11 other victims including a woman and her three young children kidnapped from their residence when the herdsmen could not get her wealthy husband, who was their target.

Among the captives was also a commercial motorcyclist otherwise called ‘okada rider’, who was abducted in Saki. He later escaped from the forest when he asked to be led to a stream to fetch water but they ran into some soldiers who opened fire and killed one of the herdsmen who led him to the stream.

How were you and other victims moved from one point to another inside the forest without running into people living in villages around the forest area?

They led us through thick forests and made detours to avoid running into villagers nearby. They were five in number but one of them was shot dead by soldiers attached to Operation Burst during an encounter the day after they led us into the forest while another member of the gang suffered a gunshot wound on his leg.
What happened was that they sent one of them to lead a victim, an okada rider, to fetch water from a stream when the soldiers who were on routine operation killed one of the herdsmen and wounded another while the victim escaped.

On the same day, at about 8 pm, they went in search of the one that suffered a gunshot wound on his leg, and that gave one of my kidnapped friends, Ernest, an opportunity to flee. That was how he escaped and contacted the police.

Ernest told us that he ran as fast as he could and that he slept in a thick forest overnight, contacted the nearby police station very early in the morning and was taken into custody.

How did you regain your freedom?

It was a narrow escape from death brought about by almighty God, who put it in the heart of the wicked herdsmen to set me free without any ransom paid. At about 7 pm on a Sunday, the leader of the gang told us that he would release us because he was expecting payment of ransom from a family whose three members were kidnapped. He however threatened to kill us if the operatives of Amotekun Corps attacked them in the forest.
Then suddenly, we heard sounds of gunshots from a distance. The shots were fired by a combined team of policemen and soldiers and the bandits returned fire too to scare the law enforcement team.

After the gunshots ceased, the leader of the gang returned to where we were kept in the forest and shot eight of their captives dead, including a 13-year-old boy. My friends, Omogbolahan Olakunle and Oriade Jolaiya, were also among the eight captives killed by the leader of the herdsmen.

Two members of a family abducted in their residence and the driver of a Sport Utility Vehicle (SUV) previously abducted were set free.

One of the two siblings kidnapped was a seven-year-old boy. His 21-year-old sister and their mother were abducted from their residence. Their mother died from exhaustion in the forest while we were being led around by the bandits. They were hitting us with sticks and blows.

I was tasked with carrying the wounded member of the gang on my back. To tell you how heartless the kidnappers are, each time I got tired, he would hit me with blows on my head from the back despite the excruciating pain he suffered from his gunshot wounds. We were beaten mercilessly as we trekked in the forest.

We were released around 1.30 am on Sunday, April 21. It happened that an older brother of the two siblings abducted brought the ransom on a motorcycle for the release of his siblings and their mother who he did not know had died in the forest. The woman was left with no strength to carry on and she started seeing blood and died shortly after.

Her older son who came with the ransom had been told by the kidnappers to put his two pointer lights on when coming. They also asked him to buy rice and meat with table water when coming to drop the ransom. So, when he arrived, the kidnappers quickly collected the ransom from him and collected the motorbike which they used to escape from the scene. It was the man that took us to his family residence from where we were taken by police to their station. We walked amid downpours from the forest to the home of the kidnapped siblings where sympathizers were waiting for us.

The kidnappers cooked rice in pots and ate before us while many victims drank their urine. One of us, Fawaz, was killed by the kidnappers. Another victim called Panko, who drank his urine, died after much exhaustion.

https://thenationonlineng.net/i-watched-in-horror-as-our-abductors-shot-eight-captives-dead-inside-oyo-forest-kidnapping-victim

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Watched In Horror As Our Abductors Shot Eight Captives Dead Inside Oyo Forest by Curious345: 5:30am On May 11
Is it true that the kidnappers demanded N50 million ransom for your freedom?
Yes. Initially, that was the amount they threatened to collect or they would kill us. However, after pleadings and negotiations, they agreed to collect N 2.5 million.

Was the negotiation for the reduction of the ransom smooth?
No. The negotiation and pleadings for a reduction of the ransom came with brutality. When I told them that I had a bus that I had asked my family to sell and bring the money to pay as ransom, the kidnappers said the N1.5 million the bus was to be sold was an insult to them, and that they could only reduce the ransom if the value of the bus was N14 million. Hence they subjected me to merciless beating, hitting me with the flat side of a cutlass for trying to raise N1.5 million ransom.

Similarly, we were beaten after Alhaji Saheed offered the kidnappers the sum of N400,000 for our freedom. At a point, I pleaded with them in Hausa language to reduce the ransom to N2.5 million and this again incurred their wrath as they further beat me mercilessly.

Did you find out if any ransom was eventually paid to the kidnappers for your release?
It was just the grace of God that I enjoyed as no ransom was paid. What happened was that ransom was to be paid and money had been mobilised for the purpose. The chairman of our landlords association. Mr Saheed, whose mother’s burial we were returning from before our abduction, was to bring the sum of N2.5 million, and he had been told by the kidnappers to take the money to a certain spot and wait for them there.

However, I quickly used the mobile phone of the man who came to drop the ransom for his siblings to contact Saheed. I told him that we had been freed and that he should not bother bringing any ransom to the kidnappers. I told Saheed to flee from the spot where he was waiting for the kidnappers because they were already on their way to the spot after collecting N2 million to free the two young siblings among us.

The ransom for the driver, Fawaz and Panko was raised by their family members and was to also be paid by Saheed whom the kidnappers mandated to collect the money and bring to them. Panko was hypertensive, so he died from the intensity of the gunshots fired by the leader of the kidnap gang when he shot other victims dead.

What happened to you after your release?
As soon as one of my aunties learned that I was freed by the kidnappers, she came to Ibadan and brought me back to Lagos. I landed in the hospital where I received treatment for days because my body was badly brutalised and I was already very sick.

Going by your experience, would you honour another invitation for an interstate party?
Never, I will not attend any party that involves travelling to another state. Instead, I would rather send money to the organiser. I don’t pray to suffer the same fate again in my life.

67 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Watched In Horror As Our Abductors Shot Eight Captives Dead Inside Oyo Forest by cenaman(m): 5:32am On May 11
H
Re: I Watched In Horror As Our Abductors Shot Eight Captives Dead Inside Oyo Forest by overdrive(m): 5:38am On May 11
Nigeria is gone.

97 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Watched In Horror As Our Abductors Shot Eight Captives Dead Inside Oyo Forest by Curious345: 5:39am On May 11
See as herdsmen are massacring my Yruba brothers like flies.. this got to stop! 🛑🛑

124 Likes 6 Shares

Re: I Watched In Horror As Our Abductors Shot Eight Captives Dead Inside Oyo Forest by hopeforcharles(m): 6:01am On May 11
Nigeria has been rubbished.

59 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Watched In Horror As Our Abductors Shot Eight Captives Dead Inside Oyo Forest by Thundafireseun: 6:11am On May 11
lipsrsealed
Re: I Watched In Horror As Our Abductors Shot Eight Captives Dead Inside Oyo Forest by Harddiskng(m): 6:26am On May 11
All these stories about fulani herdsman kidnapping.

God knows if i were President i have very little patience.

Any body, any tribe, that there is evidence they are constituting nuisance and moving dangerously: it is shoot on sight! angry

By the time the military downing bodies, it is done it they themselves they will give themselves brain. Go to Indian, ask them why they have fewer Islamist related terrorism.

110 Likes 17 Shares

Re: I Watched In Horror As Our Abductors Shot Eight Captives Dead Inside Oyo Forest by Nbotee(m): 6:28am On May 11
I thought Amotekun was tekuning these herdsmen??

50 Likes

Re: I Watched In Horror As Our Abductors Shot Eight Captives Dead Inside Oyo Forest by Creamypie(m): 6:29am On May 11
Just see wetin religious bias and tribalism cause us

49 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Watched In Horror As Our Abductors Shot Eight Captives Dead Inside Oyo Forest by Jakumo(m): 6:38am On May 11
This is by far one of the most viscerally terrifying kidnapping accounts that I have ever read in recent times. For typical law-abiding citizens who have never contemplated harming another human being, it is impossible to visualize the depth of gleeful, sadistic evil that resides in the hearts of career criminals who injure, maim, and kill their victims as a matter of daily routine. This first-hand account of a kidnap ordeal provides a jarring insight that lays bare in stark relief the abject paralyzing horror movie that is Nigeria in 2024.

Surveillance drones are required for deployment by police formations all over the Nigerian federation. With a round-trip mission range of well over ten miles, a used $500 DJI Mavic 2 Pro fitted with a new $200 extra-range battery sold online by Ali Express, could be issued to EVERY police station in the federation, after adequate laptop-based simulator training has been given to the drone operators. With this $700 security investment in all or some of Nigeria's police stations, and with flight batteries charged at a centrally located solar-powered drone battery charging station in each town, the tide can very quickly be turned against the kidnap gangs now proliferating with alarming speed all over the Nigerian federation.

88 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Watched In Horror As Our Abductors Shot Eight Captives Dead Inside Oyo Forest by Lavor234: 6:54am On May 11
Jakumo:
This is by far one of the most viscerally terrifying kidnapping accounts that I have ever read in recent times. For typical law-abiding citizens who have never contemplated harming another human being, it is impossible to visualize the depth of heartless, sadistic evil that resides in the hearts of career criminals who injure, maim, and kill their victims as a matter of daily routine. This first-hand account of a kidnap ordeal provides a jarring insight that lays bare in stark relief the abject paralyzing horror movie that is Nigeria in 2024.

Surveillance drones are required for deployment by police formations all over the Nigerian federation. With a round-trip mission range of well over ten miles, a used $500 DJI Mavic 2 Pro fitted with a new $200 extra-range battery sold online by Ali Express, could be issued to EVERY police station in the federation, after adequate laptop-based simulator training has been given to the drone operators. With this $700 security investment in all or some of Nigeria's police stations, and with flight batteries charged at a centrally located solar-powered drone battery charging station in each town, the tide can very quickly be turned against the kidnap gangs now proliferating with alarming speed all over the Nigerian federation.
Surveillance and intelligence would eradicate this menance. The army is buying heavy and bogus machinery relevant for invasion and not necessary for the pseudo- guerilla warfare

57 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Watched In Horror As Our Abductors Shot Eight Captives Dead Inside Oyo Forest by Ejebleje: 7:07am On May 11
Igboho is no longer speaking up ,as his man is now in power, but truth be told ,the entire country is surrounded.

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Watched In Horror As Our Abductors Shot Eight Captives Dead Inside Oyo Forest by Odin13: 7:23am On May 11
Yoruba land is gone tey tey..

Anyways that’s not their problem .. even if fulani wan kidnap a community and install emir.. they’re welcome

Yoruba business online and offline is all about igbos, ipob, Peter Obi , and how to deport and teach igbos lesson unlimited

Nice one from them..

98 Likes 15 Shares

Re: I Watched In Horror As Our Abductors Shot Eight Captives Dead Inside Oyo Forest by phorget(m): 7:34am On May 11
Odin13:
Yoruba land is gone tey tey..

Anyways that’s not their problem .. even if fulani wan kidnap a community and install emir.. they’re welcome

Yoruba business online and offline is all about igbos, ipob, Peter Obi , and how to deport and teach igbos lesson unlimited

Nice one from them..

It's just too bad sir, that is the country weve found ourselves in.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Watched In Horror As Our Abductors Shot Eight Captives Dead Inside Oyo Forest by Cassandraloius: 7:36am On May 11
Nigeria is done for.

5 Likes

Re: I Watched In Horror As Our Abductors Shot Eight Captives Dead Inside Oyo Forest by Gadafii: 8:15am On May 11
So okada rider escaped after the bandits met soldiers on their way stream, shouldn't the okada rider had directed the soldiers to where the others were kept

58 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Watched In Horror As Our Abductors Shot Eight Captives Dead Inside Oyo Forest by id4sho(m): 8:16am On May 11
shocked
Re: I Watched In Horror As Our Abductors Shot Eight Captives Dead Inside Oyo Forest by wizrose(m): 8:27am On May 11

2 Likes

Re: I Watched In Horror As Our Abductors Shot Eight Captives Dead Inside Oyo Forest by tutudesz: 8:42am On May 11
Killing killing killing shocked Nigerians are now use to the word

6 Likes

Re: I Watched In Horror As Our Abductors Shot Eight Captives Dead Inside Oyo Forest by ElevationD: 9:00am On May 11
Jakumo:
This is by far one of the most viscerally terrifying kidnapping accounts that I have ever read in recent times. For typical law-abiding citizens who have never contemplated harming another human being, it is impossible to visualize the depth of heartless, sadistic evil that resides in the hearts of career criminals who injure, maim, and kill their victims as a matter of daily routine. This first-hand account of a kidnap ordeal provides a jarring insight that lays bare in stark relief the abject paralyzing horror movie that is Nigeria in 2024.

Unfortunately, the same law officers will sabotage it.
We suffer a very big shame with some law officers in this country. One wonders how in this age of advanced technology, this country battles with these rag tag criminals and vipers on our highways. To think that the police do not even have trackers is a monumental disgrace.

How then with all the hefty budgets can things ge appropriately carried out? Even when the equipments are provided, we hear of security officers who share surveillance and intelligence secrets with bandits and kidnappers. The honest ones find out at the point that all their efforts wasted.

From all the security budgets of governors, how is it so difficult to purchase drones and trackers? What’s the point purchasing Hilux’s and bikes, when technology can penetrate much deeper and faster?

It is indeed very sad.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Watched In Horror As Our Abductors Shot Eight Captives Dead Inside Oyo Forest by Jakumo(m): 9:37am On May 11
ElevationD:

Unfortunately, the same law officers will sabotage it.
We suffer a very big shame with some law officers in this country. One wonders how in this age of advanced technology, this country battles with these rag tag criminals and vipers on our highways. To think that the police do not even have trackers is a monumental disgrace.

How then with all the hefty budgets can things ge appropriately carried out? Even when the equipments are provided, we hear of security officers who share surveillance and intelligence secrets with bandits and kidnappers. The honest ones find out at the point that all their efforts wasted.

From all the security budgets of governors, how is it so difficult to purchase drones and trackers? What’s the point purchasing Hilux’s and bikes, when technology can penetrate much deeper and faster?

It is indeed very sad.

You have highlighted the greatest benefit of cheap surveillance drones, which is that they can pinpoint the location of criminal encampments very quickly and without alerting the targets that the police have their coordinates that will used be to plan ambush attacks that have the potential to save kidnap victim lives. The element of surprise works in favor of law enforcement consistently, once it becomes possible to view real-time or recently filmed surveillance video footage during those vital minutes when task-force commanders plan counterattacks against hidden criminals so easily spotted from the air.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Watched In Horror As Our Abductors Shot Eight Captives Dead Inside Oyo Forest by Oceanfl0w: 9:56am On May 11
Gadafii:
So okada rider escaped after the bandits met soldiers on their way stream, shouldn't the okada rider had directed the soldiers to where the others were kept

Too many fish brains here.

They were being moved from one place to another.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Watched In Horror As Our Abductors Shot Eight Captives Dead Inside Oyo Forest by ElevationD: 10:31am On May 11
Jakumo:

You have highlighted the greatest benefit of cheap surveillance drones, which is that they can pinpoint the location of criminal encampments very quickly and without alerting the targets that the police have their coordinates that will used be to coordinate ambush attacks that have the potential to save kidnap victim lives. The element of surprise works in favor of law enforcement consistently, once it becomes possible to view real-time or recently filmed surveillance video footage during those vital minutes when task-force commanders plan counterattacks against hidden criminals so easily spotted from the air.

And do you know that it is so simple. Why they choose to ignore the right things, baffle people like me.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Watched In Horror As Our Abductors Shot Eight Captives Dead Inside Oyo Forest by Rich4god(m): 11:34am On May 11
What you guys dont know is that this country have been taking over by fulani bandits. I mean, in every nook and cranny of this nation, all the forests, there are sleeper cells of fulani terrorists. THey are there just waiting for the tright time to act. All these kidnapping is to raise fund for the bigger attack they want to do. Imagine from this story, the kidnappers are begging for food, this shows that the ransom dont end up in their pocket, it goes to their ogas at the top.

WHen they tell you that they wont stop till they dip the tip of their sword into the atlantic ocean, you thought they were playing.

There are only two ways to stop the inevitable blood shed coming up.

Divide this country to stop the overall advancemnt of jihadist into southern nigeria

or

Split the country into region with each region responsible for their own security. This way, we each region can use their state power to combat these herdsmen.

Else every effort by either the FG or state govt or individual vigilante will be sabotaged by their ogas in power.

Let me remind....
Did you hear the news of soldiers attacking a mopol base in jos, even when the mopol didnt do anything. Think...
Why is it that anytime the locals pick arm to challenge herdsmen, soldiers are been deployed to those areas, but when herdsmen are attacking, you wont see soldiers.

Let the south keep fighting each other base on tribe.

Soon, there might not be any tribal comments on the internet because southerners will probably be leaving in IDPs where there are no netwrk to browse the net.

By then, its too late.

56 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Watched In Horror As Our Abductors Shot Eight Captives Dead Inside Oyo Forest by Yankee101: 11:45am On May 11
Kidnapping should carry the death sentence in Nigeria

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Watched In Horror As Our Abductors Shot Eight Captives Dead Inside Oyo Forest by richiemcgold: 11:55am On May 11

One of the two siblings kidnapped was a seven-year-old boy. His 21-year-old sister and their mother were abducted from their residence. Their mother died from exhaustion in the forest while we were being led around by the bandits. They were hitting us with sticks and blows....

This is where I stopped reading. I can't bear the gory tales anymore.
Some people are damn wicked! Chei!

17 Likes

Re: I Watched In Horror As Our Abductors Shot Eight Captives Dead Inside Oyo Forest by kingthreat(m): 12:02pm On May 11
This experience is extremely horrifying. These Fulani bandits into kidnapping do not have a heart not to talk of conscience or believe in God. They have no value for life. There needs to be a law that any fulani camp in the bushes be set ablaze. Any fulanis caught with a gun in the bushes should be killed. And any kidnappers caught be publicly executed. Maybe when they see their brothers executed, they will have a change in mind and rear cows than embrace kidnapping.
Glad to know that there was Amotekun and Army making their work more and more difficult.

20 Likes

Re: I Watched In Horror As Our Abductors Shot Eight Captives Dead Inside Oyo Forest by Curious345: 12:25pm On May 11
Those Fulani terrorits are highly inflammably deadly and wicked .. that's why the Hausa vigilante guys in Zamfara send them to their makers immediately they are captured
richiemcgold:

One of the two siblings kidnapped was a seven-year-old boy. His 21-year-old sister and their mother were abducted from their residence. Their mother died from exhaustion in the forest while we were being led around by the bandits. They were hitting us with sticks and blows....

This is where I stopped reading. I can't bear the gory tales anymore.
Some people are damn wicked! Chei!

9 Likes

Re: I Watched In Horror As Our Abductors Shot Eight Captives Dead Inside Oyo Forest by samomoli: 12:26pm On May 11
Those old brain dead politicians leading the country who can not operate an android phone will not have any idea about modern gadgets to fight insecurity but to keep stealing money for their huge lifestyle, buying expensive cars for their girlfriends ask those actresses.They also in the military

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Watched In Horror As Our Abductors Shot Eight Captives Dead Inside Oyo Forest by Cooldowntemper: 12:28pm On May 11
Curious345:
See as herdsmen are massacring my Yruba brothers like flies.. this got to stop! 🛑🛑

Where are the COWS?

Is Evans a herdsman?

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Watched In Horror As Our Abductors Shot Eight Captives Dead Inside Oyo Forest by Curious345: 12:30pm On May 11
Cooldowntemper:

Where are the COWS?

Is Evans a herdsman?
who said it ?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Scammer Apologizes To Man After He Shared His Scary Story With Him. Graphic PICS / Fatu Ochigbo: DPO Tortured Lady In Lagos (Graphic Photos) / Bishop Lamor Whitehead Robbed At Gunpoint While Delivering Sermon On Livestream

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.