Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,984 members, 7,814,351 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:31 AM

Nzeogwu; How We Killed Sardauna (video) - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nzeogwu; How We Killed Sardauna (video) (60824 Views)

Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech / Tribalist Statements Credited To One Of Our Founding Fathers- Sardauna / Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nzeogwu; How We Killed Sardauna (video) by Katsumoto: 8:58pm On Jan 21, 2012
@ Physics_QED

Biographies can be objective, vindictive, or subjective depending on who is writing it. The few books that were written about Akintola were intended to present his side of the story and failed to capture certain events. Let me give a few instances. Faced with a smaller budget for 1962, the AG decided that government salaries and other perks such as housing and car allowances would be reduced. Akintola on the other hand, decided to cut grants to schools meaning that many pupils would have to pay fees. There was a backlash against Akintola. He rescinded his decision and did as demanded by the party.

The AG always voted on which party members would take appointments, sit on committees and take trips. After Akintola became Premier he started making unilateral decisions. In the Economic mission trip to Europe in 1961, he replaced party representatives with his own loyalists. When it was time for board renewals, again Akintola replaced all with his own men without consultation.  On the first instance, Awo and others looked away. On the second, they decided they had had enough. Akintola had started to buy loyalties of some members such as Rosiji, Biobaku, etc and was rewarding these people with appointments. This clearly was against party ideology and rules. This was why his approach was seen as feudalistic and elitists.

It is true that he fought the NCNC on some aspects such as political appointments and academic scholarships. But if we are to follow the process adopted by Akintola in appointing members to party positions, one can easily conclude that the list would have been made up of the sons of individuals trying to gain favour from Akintola.

With due respect, do not try to neutralize Aluko’s comment with a write-up from Fazil Agbe, a known Akintola disciple. Like you rightly stated, his write-up included many fairy tales. If you believe that it was just a clash of egos then you do not really understand Yoruba people, its history, and politics. Ego is always present in Yoruba politics. Anyone who thinks that Awolowo had a free reign in the Action Group is mistaken. Awolowo was challenged several times and the policies of the AG were usually put to vote.

Let me provide some context so that you may understand that it was more than ego. Akintola should never have joined the AG because his ideology did not match theirs from the onset. The NCNC was made up mostly of Lagos sons, returnee Saros and Agudas. These politicians were very bright and educated and all fell under the leadership of Herbert Macaulay. They believed very much in Nigeria. But the problem with the NCNC was that it was seen to be elitists because of the high educational standards of its members. The Ibadan Peoples Party on the other hand was made up the sons and grandsons of powerful Ibadan empire chieftains. They wrongly believed that for the British intervention in the last Yoruba civil war (Kijiji), they would have held sway over all of Yorubaland. Party hierarchy was not based on educational achievements but on old political powers.  This party was clearly not going to have reach all over Yorubaland.

Awolowo being a very astute and visionary leader capitalized on the weaknesses of the NCNC and Ibadan politicians to reach the rest of Yoruba people. Awolowo formed the Egbe omo Yoruba with others such as the Akintola brothers, Rotimi Williams, Akerele, Kofo Abayomi reached out to intellectuals who felt out of place in Lagos and Ibadan. This is why he had very strong support in Ogun, Ondo, and Ekiti. In all of his problems, these people would follow him to hell and back.

The IPP resented the AG for several reasons. The members were sons of those whom their fathers fought for centuries. With the rise of the AG, the IPP and Mabolaje Grand Alliance (another Oyo based party) realized that their ambitions were going to be limited and many (TOS Benson, Adegoke Adelabu, Adeniran Ogunsanya, etc.) decamped to the NCNC. Others who found AG manageable moved to the AG. Akintola, who was Aare Ona Kakanfo, had no business in the AG but he was smart enough to realize that the only party that could match his ambition was the AG and tried several times to change the party ideology.

For those on the outside, they assumed that the AG was just a Yoruba party but they didn’t realize that the AG actually was more than that. Its philosophy was leftist and it put the people at the heart of its policies. Awolowo, being human, was not perfect. He had his faults but the people were going to put up with his faults because they believed in his vision. He talked about the welfare of the people and implemented those policies. As much as Ibadan politicians resisted the AG, the AG developed Ibadan more than any other Yoruba city even though the revenue was really from Ondo/Ekiti areas.

1 Like

Re: Nzeogwu; How We Killed Sardauna (video) by Katsumoto: 9:04pm On Jan 21, 2012
On this issue, arguing with Dayo is akin to banging your head against the wall. grin grin grin

Akintola was his uncle.

Dayo, no matter how you try to spin it, people are not fools.

With regards to the wetie incidents, read Fazil Agbe's piece supplied by Physics and you will observe that even Akintola believed that they were sponsored by the NCNC. Of course you know that the NCNC assisted Akintola in causing the brouhaha in the Western House leading to the state of emergency in the West. And instead of joining the NCNC in an alliance, he chose to join Balewa/Bello.

1 Like

Re: Nzeogwu; How We Killed Sardauna (video) by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jan 21, 2012
dayokanu:

Those are within democratic processes now compare that to Wetie sponsored by his opponents

Within democratic processes or corruption of power and disdain for the rule of law?  Dayo ba wi aa ku, baa si wi aa ku. Quit the spin please, you are smarter than that!
Re: Nzeogwu; How We Killed Sardauna (video) by tunnytox(m): 9:12pm On Jan 21, 2012
Still I see no reason why Akintola was demonised, all the reasons given by katsumoto does not warrant the kind of unrest that led to the killings of many people who supported Akintola (wetie). I believe Awo should have stepped in to stop that kind of madness or may be he felt vindicated by that senseless killings of his political opponents?
Each political appointees will definitely have their own style of governance, Akintola differ in his own style of governance but that in its own does not make him a devil, to be honest if I was in Akintola shoes I'll rather build my own political dynasty rather than be a perpetual deputy to anyone.
Re: Nzeogwu; How We Killed Sardauna (video) by hercules07: 9:12pm On Jan 21, 2012
I was discussing with an Igbo friend during the strike period and he was comparing politics and politicians, he said the only politician that had an ideology was Awolowo, that though he was a tribalist (something I disagree with), there was something he stood for and those things were good. I believe if we had gone the Akintola way, we would have regressed, leadership is held in trust for the people, that Awolowo knew and he did, I only hope that we can have more of Awos in every state and every region.

1 Like

Re: Nzeogwu; How We Killed Sardauna (video) by Katsumoto: 9:14pm On Jan 21, 2012
tunnytox:

Still I see no reason why Akintola was demonised, all the reasons given by katsumoto does not warrant the kind of unrest that led to the killings of many people who supported Akintola (wetie). I believe Awo should have stepped in to stop that kind of madness or may be he felt vindicated by that senseless killings of his political opponents?
Each political appointees will definitely have their own style of governance, Akintola differ in his own style of governance but that in its own does not make him a devil, to be honest if I was in Akintola shoes I'll rather build my own political dynasty rather than be a perpetual deputy to anyone.

You are very funny; I have not gone into the reasons why Akintola was demonized. We haven't gotten to that part yet;Just wait. tongue

Anyone can build his/her own dynasty but your dynasty will be a reflection of the path you take.
Re: Nzeogwu; How We Killed Sardauna (video) by hercules07: 9:14pm On Jan 21, 2012
@tunnytox

The awolowo that was in jail? Akintola's style of governance was perceived as being feudalistic, Awo also had massive support of the people, it was always going to end in tears.
Re: Nzeogwu; How We Killed Sardauna (video) by dayokanu(m): 9:15pm On Jan 21, 2012
naijababe:

Within democratic processes or corruption of power and disdain for the rule of law?  Dayo ba wi aa ku, baa si wi aa ku. Quit the spin please, you are smarter than that!

What is the spin in it.

Let me give you examples. In 2007 INEC adjudged ACN to have lost elections in Osun, Ondo and Ekiti States

What did the ACN do? resort to Wetie or go to court?

If for every rigged election in Nigeria we have all resorted to Arson and disorder what would be left of the country?

You still believed Akintola was wrong to have disparaged his political opponents? Then I ask, whats Politics about?

Its because I am smart thats why I have chosen to look at the story from outside regardless of the folktales we were fed with (like Awolowos face was on the moon) and come to an independent conclusion

Like Akintola would say any of our opinion we must make it Pelu Iba ati waye ojo, Pelu Iba atiwo oorun
Re: Nzeogwu; How We Killed Sardauna (video) by PhysicsQED(m): 9:16pm On Jan 21, 2012
Katsumoto, thanks for the clarification on Akintola's style/approach to government and how it differed from the Action Group's principles and also for the info about the background of the different Yoruba groups back then. That definitely puts things in better perspective as to why he would be seen as feudalistic/elitist. I still think there was more to his divergence from AG than just that, but it was clearly a major factor.
Re: Nzeogwu; How We Killed Sardauna (video) by Nobody: 9:21pm On Jan 21, 2012
dayokanu:

What is the spin in it.

Let me give you examples. In 2007 INEC adjudged ACN to have lost elections in Osun, Ondo and Ekiti States

What did the ACN do? resort to Wetie or go to court?

If for every rigged election in Nigeria we have all resorted to Arson and disorder what would be left of the country?

You still believed Akintola was wrong to have disparaged his political opponents? Then I ask, whats Politics about?

Its because I am smart thats why I have chosen to look at the story from outside regardless of the folktales we were fed with (like Awolowos face was on the moon) and come to an independent conclusion

Jisox of Olodi Apapa  shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked. DK, you are not getting off that easily, in your analogy above did the ruling party i.e. PDP not abide by the court's ruling? Did they change the constitution just because they lost?
Re: Nzeogwu; How We Killed Sardauna (video) by Katsumoto: 9:22pm On Jan 21, 2012
PhysicsQED:

Katsumoto, thanks for the clarification on Akintola's style/approach to government and how it differed from the Action Group's principles and also for the info about the background of the different Yoruba groups back then. That definitely puts things in better perspective as to why he would be seen as feudalistic/elitist. I still think there was more to his divergence from AG than just that, but it was clearly a major factor.

You are welcome.  grin

naijababe:

Jisox of Olodi Apapa shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked. DK, you are not getting off that easily, in you analogy above did the ruling party i.e. PDP not abide by the court's ruling? Did they change the constitution just because they lost?

grin grin grin grin grin grin

Mogbe
Re: Nzeogwu; How We Killed Sardauna (video) by Nobody: 9:32pm On Jan 21, 2012
^ Ki lo gbe? grin
Re: Nzeogwu; How We Killed Sardauna (video) by Katsumoto: 9:36pm On Jan 21, 2012
naijababe:

^ Ki lo gbe? grin

I was reffering to the very brutal manner in which you ended that line of argument from DK.
Re: Nzeogwu; How We Killed Sardauna (video) by Nobody: 9:38pm On Jan 21, 2012
Katsumoto:

I was reffering to the very brutal manner in which you ended that line of argument from DK.

Shey na lie ni? cheesy
Re: Nzeogwu; How We Killed Sardauna (video) by Nobody: 9:45pm On Jan 21, 2012
dayokanu:

I personally think if the Germans have won the war, they would have painted the English and the allies as the worst set of humans ever. maybe they would tell us the same thing that Churchill intended to make us all slaves.

Have you ever taken the time to listen to any of Hitler's speeches?
Re: Nzeogwu; How We Killed Sardauna (video) by dayokanu(m): 10:05pm On Jan 21, 2012
naijababe:

Jisox of Olodi Apapa  shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked. DK, you are not getting off that easily, in your analogy above did the ruling party i.e. PDP not abide by the court's ruling? Did they change the constitution just because they lost?

I see that we are making progress since you have dropped one of the lines of argument that he disparaged other AG leaders maybe we can get to a midpoint in this and we dont have to resort to wetie afterall grin grin grin

Now regarding the alleged constitutional change. Can you shed light on what happened then? If there was any wrongdoing by the Akintola clique, I would think the appropriate thing was to take them to court and challenge the constitutional change

I believe thats how democracy works.
Re: Nzeogwu; How We Killed Sardauna (video) by tunnytox(m): 10:05pm On Jan 21, 2012
kingoflag:

Have you ever taken the time to listen to any of Hitler's speeches?

I believe what he meant was that Hitler would have brainwashed most people to believe so but that Hitler guy was a devil incanate I have watched some of his speeches he never hide his disdain for the jews whom he believe are traitors and less human.
Re: Nzeogwu; How We Killed Sardauna (video) by Nobody: 10:10pm On Jan 21, 2012
dayokanu:

I see that we are making progress since you have dropped one of the lines of argument that he disparaged other AG leaders maybe we can get to a midpoint in this and we dont have to resort to wetie afterall grin grin grin

Now regarding the alleged constitutional change. [size=16pt]Can you shed light on what happened then? If there was any wrongdoing by the Akintola clique,[/size] I would think the appropriate thing was to take them to court and challenge the constitutional change

Haba Dayo!!! Eti je dodo, e o le so ododo mo lipsrsealed What a shame sad sad

1 Like

Re: Nzeogwu; How We Killed Sardauna (video) by dayokanu(m): 10:12pm On Jan 21, 2012
^^Tunnytox,

That era wasnt one for political correctness, Infact most people in Europe hated Jews at that time because they were seen as wanderers who come and dominate the economy of their host.

Reading Shakespeare Merchant of Venice which was written centuries earlier, you would notice the sentiments against Jews as very wicked people.

If Hitler had won the war, the generations who would have succeeded him would have found ways of doctoring history to put Hitler in good light and put the Allies as the bad guys.

Like I said, victors rewrite history to favour them and make the vanquished look verry very bad.
Re: Nzeogwu; How We Killed Sardauna (video) by dayokanu(m): 10:14pm On Jan 21, 2012
naijababe:

Haba Dayo!!! Eti je dodo, e o le so ododo mo lipsrsealed What a shame  sad  sad

Awa o si nidi madaru,

Sugbon a se akiyesi wipe bi e sen se ayinike yin ni e tun se ayinipada itan ti o sele nigba yen

I am shocked
Re: Nzeogwu; How We Killed Sardauna (video) by EzeUche(m): 10:17pm On Jan 21, 2012
Deleted
Re: Nzeogwu; How We Killed Sardauna (video) by Nobody: 10:19pm On Jan 21, 2012
dayokanu:

Awa o si nidi madaru,

Sugbon a se akiyesi wipe bi e sen se ayinike yin ni e tun se ayinipada itan ti o sele nigba yen

Pitiable

grin grin grin grin grin. Okay Dayo, you win.
Re: Nzeogwu; How We Killed Sardauna (video) by tunnytox(m): 10:21pm On Jan 21, 2012
naijababe:

grin grin grin grin grin. Okay Dayo, you win.

Lol grin grin grin
Kare Dayo (my kinsman) Akinkanju omo Ogbomoso, ilu ti won gbe n joka tan ki won to muko yangan.
Re: Nzeogwu; How We Killed Sardauna (video) by dayokanu(m): 10:21pm On Jan 21, 2012
EzeUche:

Did anyone really mourn Akintola's death? I haven't heard any Yoruba do that.

The North mourned Balewa and the Sardauna but the south did not mourn Akintola or Okotie-eboh.

Just like no one in the whole country didnt remember to mourn Azikwe.

You saw how his burial place has now become a Senate house fr goats , snakes and rabbits to meet and discuss happenings in the animal kingdom
Re: Nzeogwu; How We Killed Sardauna (video) by EzeUche(m): 10:25pm On Jan 21, 2012
Deleted
Re: Nzeogwu; How We Killed Sardauna (video) by Katsumoto: 10:31pm On Jan 21, 2012
dayokanu:

I see that we are making progress since you have dropped one of the lines of argument that he disparaged other AG leaders maybe we can get to a midpoint in this and we dont have to resort to wetie afterall  grin grin grin

Now regarding the alleged constitutional change. Can you shed light on what happened then? If there was any wrongdoing by the Akintola clique, I would think the appropriate thing was to take them to court and challenge the constitutional change

You are very funny; that is how abuse of power, cronyism, and circumvention of rules works for those who will have power at all cost.

See the timeline below

1. Akintola and Ayo Rosiji (National secretary of AG) were stripped of their positions at the AG annual convention in Jos in 1962 witha unanimous vote. Awo subsequently asks Akintola to resign his position at a meeting with the leaders of the western region and mid-western. Akintola writes to Sir Adesoji Aderemi (Governor) of the region and to the speaker of the region's House of Assembly calling for the dissolution of the House and
for an emergency meeting of the House to test his popularity; but is ignored.

2. The AG parliementary body elects Soroye Adegbenro as the new premier of the region. Akintola calls on Balewa to sack Adegbenro. Governor states that Akintola had been sacked while Akintola states that he sacked the Governor. Akintola, consequently goes to Ibadan high court to restrain Aderemi from sacking him.

3. There was a riot in the Western House of Assembly in May 1962 caused by Akintola and his suporters from the NCNC; Akintola and Ayo Rosiji are expelled from the party subsequently.
4. Akintola's new pals, Balewa and Bello, declare a state of emergency in the west and dissolve the western house and sack Adegbenro and Sir Aderemi. Akintola subsequently wins his lawsuit at the Supreme court and returns as premier in 1963. He wins his lawsuit as Law luminary, Rotimi Williams, is barred by a petition raised by Akintola, from representing Sir Aderemi.
5. Adegbenro and Aderemi appeal to the Privy council in London which was the highest court of appeal and win with Privy council ruling that Akintola's removal was proper.
6. To circumvent the Privy council ruling, Akintola obtains approval from his friends Balewa and Bello to amend the regional consitution that rendered the Privy council vote invalid and back-dating that amendment to the 2nd of October 1960. A constitutional amendment to the regional legislature should have been deleibrated and approved by the Western House of Assembly. Two crimes here are -a- backdating the amendment to the constitution -b- having it approved by the federal government rather than the house which he sought to manage.

Akintola went to great lengths to remain premier even though he didn't enjoy the support of those whom he wanted to rule over. Ladipo Ademolekun surmised correctly, in his book 'Politics and Administration in Nigeria', when he stated that Akintola was heading a puppet givernment since he didn't have the mandate of the people.

DK, you can continue to try to spin this how you want, a majority will continue to disagree.

1 Like

Re: Nzeogwu; How We Killed Sardauna (video) by dayokanu(m): 10:35pm On Jan 21, 2012
Are you not aware that Azikwe was a slave to Balewa who was in turn a slave of Bello?

That should put his position in perspective.

Zik remembered with airports and wherever yet his burial place looks like a dunghill
Re: Nzeogwu; How We Killed Sardauna (video) by dayokanu(m): 10:40pm On Jan 21, 2012
Katsumoto:

You are very funny.

See the timeline below

1. Akintola and Ayo Rosiji (National secretary of AG) were stripped of their positions at the AG annual convention in Jos in 1962 witha unanimous vote. Awo subsequently asks Akintola to resign his position at a meeting with the leaders of the western region and mid-western. Akintola writes to Sir Adesoji Aderemi (Governor) of the region and to the speaker of the region's House of Assembly calling for the dissolution of the House and
for an emergency meeting of the House to test his popularity; but is ignored.

2. The AG parliementary body elects Soroye Adegbenro as the new premier of the region. Akintola calls on Balewa to sack Adegbenro. Governor states that Akintola had been sacked while Akintola states that he sacked the Governor. Akintola, consequently goes to Ibadan high court to restrain Aderemi from sacking him.

3. There was a riot in the Western House of Assembly in May 1962 caused by Akintola and his suporters from the NCNC; Akintola and Ayo Rosiji are expelled from the party subsequently.
4. Akintola's new pals, Balewa and Bello, declare a state of emergency in the west and dissolve the western house and sack Adegbenro and Sir Aderemi. Akintola subsequently wins his lawsuit at the Supreme court and returns as premier in 1963. He wins his lawsuit as Law luminary, Rotimi Williams, is barred by a petition raised by Akintola, from representing Sir Aderemi.
5. Adegbenro and Aderemi appeal to the Privy council in London which was the highest court of appeal and win with Privy council ruling that Akintola's removal was proper.
6. To circumvent the Privy council ruling, Akintola obtains approval from his friends Balewa and Bello to amend the regional consitution that rendered the Privy council vote invalid and back-dating that amendment to the 2nd of October 1960. A constitutional amendment to the regional legislature should have been deleibrated and approved by the Western House of Assembly. Two crimes here are -a- backdating the amendment to the constitution -b- having it approved by the federal government rather than the house which he sought to manage.

Akintola went to great lengths to remain premier even though he didn't enjoy the support of those whom he wanted to rule over. Ladipo Ademolekun surmised correctly, in his book 'Politics and Administration in Nigeria', when he stated that Akintola was heading a puppet givernment since he didn't have the mandate of the people.

DK, you can continue to try to spin this how you want, a majority will continue to disagree.

I believe we have both done justice to this topic and we both know where we stand.

I respect yours and wont try to convince you otherwise

My only motive on this thread is to bring all argument and perspective to the fore and let others make their own judgment independent of folktales they were all told
Re: Nzeogwu; How We Killed Sardauna (video) by Katsumoto: 10:42pm On Jan 21, 2012
dayokanu:

I believe we have both done justice to this topic and we both know where we stand.

My only motive on this thread is to bring all argument and perspective to the fore and let others make their own judgment independent of folktales they were all told

Agreed grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nzeogwu; How We Killed Sardauna (video) by Nobody: 10:45pm On Jan 21, 2012
dayokanu:

If only, more vaseline to you igunpa o jare, make u carry go
Re: Nzeogwu; How We Killed Sardauna (video) by Wily1Wily: 12:35pm On Jan 23, 2012
I like as those Soldiers killed Akintola, he caused the death of many Yorubas.
May the soul of Yorubas killed because of the action of Akintola rest in peace.
Operation Wetie=Awolowo Vs Akintola.
Re: Nzeogwu; How We Killed Sardauna (video) by whedon2(m): 10:17am On Aug 17, 2012
kingoflag: Nzeogwu, along with Buhari (And, maybe, Mur'tala) , are the only Patriots to have carried out Coups in Nigeria.

To understand Nzeogwu's thinking you'd have to read more about him and understand the situation of the period. The devils were Ifeajuna, Okafor, Ironsi and co.

Nzeogwu was a Revolutionary. Unfortunately, others had a different agenda than they sold him.

I say spot on man. Our problem is that we don't read and so we're so quick to villify. Nzeogwu is the man. If the Ifeajuna had done his bit, our country would have long been a better place.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Olisa Metuh Having Dinner With His Family At Home After His Release / Tinubu Pays Condolence Visit To Florence Ajimobi (Photos) / Ibe Kachikwu Smuggled Exotic Car Stolen From Jaguar Plant: US Govt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.