Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,117 members, 7,814,918 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:25 PM

So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? (21407 Views)

Obiano Visits Mosque Which Was Attacked During The Protest In Onitsha (Photos) / These Are Four Key Factors That Will Determine Buhari's Success Or Failure / Nine Indices That Determine Political Success Or Failure In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by Rad1cal: 9:52pm On Jan 09, 2012
[size=18pt]Kwam 1, and seun kuti entertained protesters today at the Lagos rally . . tomorrow muma gee, terry G and daddy Showkey are slated to perform . Please join us tomorrow for the Lagos subsidy removal carnival.

Chops and alomo shall flow ceaselessly. we await you tomorrow  grin[/size]
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by Detongue: 9:53pm On Jan 09, 2012
Did u hear d president of NLC speak today? u 'ill know d size of 'Ghana must go' he recieved 4rm d govt.
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by nadine07: 9:53pm On Jan 09, 2012
Pastor Tunde Bakare asked protesters to sleep on the grass at Gani Fawehinmi Park for "as many days as possible." And then he went home. Lolzzz! He went to occupy his bed.

foo.lish people

# laugh wan  kill me ohh#  pastor dey occupy jacuzzi  for house now.
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by Anybaba: 9:53pm On Jan 09, 2012
grin grin grin grin Nonsense people running about all in the name of fuel subsidy. What a worthy cause. EPIC FAIL !!!! grin grin
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by stiyke(m): 9:54pm On Jan 09, 2012
Did protesters succeed in disrupting business activities?? they did.
In how many states? 8 states out of 36 states
Was their voice heard?? Yes loud and clear, they used big speakers to drum their drums into their ears.
Who felt the most pain today?? The market woman that survives on daily sales, the protesters were worn out and no restaurants to eat in.

DID THE PROTEST SUCCEED?? THEY DIDNT CHANGE ANYTHING [size=20pt]CAPITAL FAILURE[/size]

Protesters or occupiers, pls wait till tomorrow make una see the sun way go hammer tomorrow!
Btw i thought you guys were going to sleep on the roads even take bath on the roads to drive home your point. (that was how the egyptians did theirs)
So tomorrow you guys should go out with your mats pillows mattresses and water containers for your bath on the ROAD.
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by aljharem(m): 9:54pm On Jan 09, 2012
[size=15pt]they removed subsidy on diesel, where are the refineries?[/size]
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by DanKan0: 9:55pm On Jan 09, 2012
[flash=300,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWrZpEzR2M4[/flash]

Ebele GoodLuck be very careful o   tongue
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by playboy19(m): 9:56pm On Jan 09, 2012
Alleluya:

CAPITAL FAILURE ! big shame to NLC and TUC who have been sponsored by otedola, adenuga, dantata et al. God bless GEJ !

Naija with their chicken brain,  Otedola? adenuga? dantata? sponsoring NLC? Are you kidding? I take that as the biggest joke of the year so far. I'll advice you to desist from statements like that and just continue with your blind argument. Cos hey, why would those people want to sponsor NLC against the government? Do you even know what subsidy is? No oil importer will ever support masses over this one. Cos it's their time to make Billions without having to lobby for LPO. If you know what subsidy really is and works, you will understand. 99% of the people who are fighting for and against subsidy dont even know how it works.

If the people who are fighting for subsidy removal know what subsidy really is, they'll commit suicide

If the people who are fighting against subsidy removal understand what subsidy really is and how it works, alotta prominent Nigerians will die tomorrow morning. But hey, seek knowledge and find out for yourself.

To cut the story short the protest is a protest it's a success as far as protest can go but it's a joke as regards to reality.
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by Obiagu1(m): 9:57pm On Jan 09, 2012
alj harem:

YOU SIR don't want change for this country that is why YOU SIR use ethnic bigotry and TRIBALSIM to cloud your thinking.
When you do the same thing for 51 year and still has no result, DO YOU THINK ALL OF A Sudden the result would come out ?

There's nothing tribal about it. GEJ is not my brother ethnically so how is it tribal?
A sound policy is a sound policy, period!
Some say they should have removed the subsidy over a period of time, but I bet you there will be protest any time a partial removal is done, so it's better dealt with once and for all.

Bye to subsidy, bye to NEPA (PHCN), what next GEJ? I'm waiting optimistically.
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by vedaxcool(m): 9:58pm On Jan 09, 2012
some response are almost as insane as the buffonluck jonafag intellect
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by Nobody: 9:58pm On Jan 09, 2012
all i can say is that today i was proud of my brothers and sisters.beaten not broken*intimidated but not cowed*finding their voices after years of silence*God is on our side and will c us tru*amen
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by Adanora: 9:59pm On Jan 09, 2012
Ask NLC wot happened to d refineries
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by aljharem(m): 9:59pm On Jan 09, 2012
Obiagu1:

There's nothing tribal about it. GEJ is not my brother ethnically so how is it tribal?
A sound policy is a sound policy, period!
Some say they would have removed the subsidy over a period of time, but I bet you there will be protest any time a partial removal is done, so it's better dealt with once and for all.

Bye to subsidy, bye to NEPA (PHCN), what next GEJ? I'm waiting optimistically.

Yes he is your brother ethnically speaking because he is Igbo

with that said, it is a sound policy and is anyone arguing ?

It seems after all the talk, shouting, teaching, lecture, protest, educating, directing,  etc people are doing, some people still don't know why people are angry

1. Yes the system/ government is corrupt. In fact the country is teeming in corruption

2. Yes subsidy has to go and everyone supports the FG for that

3. Before the removal of subsidy, build our refinery so we would not have this same issue in the future. If we have our refineries working, we would not be paying subsidy to anyone and we can control the prices of our crude oil as a Nation.

4. Before removal of subsidy , CUT THE COST OF GOVERANCE not just by 25% because the bulk of the money made in government is not through salaries but be over PRICED projects. An average senator in Nigeria collects more than Obama the american president.

5. Now remove subsidy.

Other things people are protesting for because it was a build up of anger since 1970 and this was the opportunity for a revolution are

1. protest against corruption and the arrest of these people

2. protest against boko haram and killing of Christians/igbos

3. protest against the NEGLIGENT of the Niger-delta

4. Building of the Niger Bridge. Must the bridge collapse before we maintain and build the next ? Since we can save lives, why not do it now.

Now what is the point of thinking ahead when there is still corruption and non-accountability in the government ?

What is the point of thinking ahead when the next administration would tell us about removal of subsidy again ?

IS THINKING AHEAD NOT BUILDING OF REFINERIES ?

Is thinking ahead not protesting against corruption ?

In Nigeria today, we have  No light, No security, No shelter, No good roads, No good water, No refinery even though we are oil producing, Total neglect of infrastructure, Total neglect of the Niger-delta, Total neglect of the Niger bridge, Total neglect of people dying in the North, Lack of accountability, Lack of credibility, Lack of industrial growth apart from Oil which the entire country is dependant on, Lack of economic growth apart from the telecommunication sector by OBJ.

I would like to educate the people about the politics behind what is happening according to my understanding and I would really appreciate if I can also learn more from other posters home and abroad.

In 2010, Sanusi made speech to the House of reps (HOR) that they were thieves and they are the ones sucking Nigeria dry due to the huge sum of money paid to them monthly. The HOR shut him down and called him all sort of names.

In 2011, Sanusi during the channels debate said 1.6 trillion naira is paid to this people out of 1.8 trillion naira thus 200 billion Naira is left for development of the country.

This people are the senator, governors, HOR, HOA, chairmen and the business men that were labelled as oil benefit thieves.

Now people Imagine 200 billion left for 150 million people in 36 states out of total of 1.8 trillion Naira. Yes I am sure people would agree with me that subsidy has to go !!!!

All am doing here is to make people political aware of the situation right now and lets not forget the Iweala and the IMF factor.

Now people are NOT and I repeat NOT angry at the removal of the subsidy I mean at such rate the paying of subsidy is not sustainable. It has to go at one point or the other, either through GEJ or the next administration. Yes I respect GEJ and Sanusi for thinking ahead of time. That is very commendable but the Issues that cause the subsidy corruption are not yet addressed.

In the future the issue would come up again so what is the point ?.
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by Obiagu1(m): 9:59pm On Jan 09, 2012
stiyke:

Did protesters succeed in disrupting business activities?? they did.
In how many states? 8 states out of 36 states
Was their voice heard?? Yes loud and clear, they used big speakers to drum their drums into their ears.
Who felt the most pain today?? The market woman that survives on daily sales, the protesters were worn out and no restaurants to eat in.

DID THE PROTEST SUCCEED?? THEY DIDNT CHANGE ANYTHING [size=20pt]CAPITAL FAILURE[/size]

Protesters or occupiers, pls wait till tomorrow make una see the sun way go hammer tomorrow!
Btw i thought you guys were going to sleep on the roads even take bath on the roads to drive home your point. (that was how the egyptians did theirs)
So tomorrow you guys should go out with your mats pillows mattresses and water containers for your bath on the ROAD.

LMAO, you're so funny.
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by chidikus: 9:59pm On Jan 09, 2012
100% FAILURE WHERE IS THE NLC &TUC LEADER,GEJ nwa oma carry go,the wind of change is blowing,and very soon it will blow their nyash,carry go jadi ,behind evry sucessful presido ther is a very dedicated woman,greet madam and our beautiful wonderl okonjo iwela

GEJ dont mind them dance dey go.anyi ga ama ndi ike ga agwu
osondi owendi u cant please evrybodi
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by hbrednic: 10:00pm On Jan 09, 2012
[b]OUT OF THE ESTIMATED 150 MILLION POPU,ONLY 0.001% CAME OUT TO PROTEST  :[/b]D cheesy cheesy
epic failure,may be the worst in Nigerian history.
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by aljharem(m): 10:00pm On Jan 09, 2012
chidikus:

100% FAILURE WHERE IS THE NLC &TUC LEADER,GEJ nwa oma carry go,the wind of change is blowing,and very soon it will blow their nyash,carry go jadi ,behind evry sucessful presido ther is a very dedicated woman,greet madam and our beautiful wonderl okonjo iwela

GEJ dont mind them dance dey go.anyi ga ama ndi ike ga agwu
osondi owendi u cant please evrybodi
hbrednic:

[b]OUT OF THE ESTIMATED 150 MILLION POPU,ONLY 0.001% CAME OUT TO PROTEST  :[/b]D cheesy cheesy
epic failure,may be the worst in Nigerian history.

The country is watching all u bigots along side your SE governors.
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by Enice(m): 10:02pm On Jan 09, 2012
Some clowns are talking about reversal. do they even know the implication of that? in a country where the price of goods hardly come down? so who pays the oil marketer that bought his product at a rate of N141/litre? or the man that bought his goods at the inflated rate? I just dey look those ignorant house of Rep members dey laugh. Them no dey think straight again.
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jan 09, 2012
My prayers to all the idiots who support the removal of fuel subsidy is that may God turn their lifes in the other way round, becos u earn or make eneough money to afford the basic things of life, that y u all are saying BS, what of those who can even afford 3 square meals. All those who support the removal may God put u all in a position of  pains that a lot of nigerians are feeling. Stupid people. May God punnish u all who support the feul subsidy removal right in fron of the whole world, self centered people, idiot, olose. Owon ode, Mschew. Ill curse, if u can't even put d masses in consideration, cos u can afford to pay for fuel @#140/litre and afford increased price of commodities, what of the poor?, May God I worship punish u all who support the fuel subsidy removal now.

The protest was a huge success
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by Obiagu1(m): 10:04pm On Jan 09, 2012
alj harem:

Yes he is your brother ethnically speaking because he is Igbo

For you to say GEJ is Igbo renders everything you said worthless because that shows you are biased.
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by aljharem(m): 10:04pm On Jan 09, 2012
[size=15pt]Subsidy removal: No protest in South-East, says Obi[/size]

[img]http://www.nigeriancompass.com/images/resized/images/stories/politics/peter-obi-(cropped)-latest_200_200.jpg[/img]

Anambra State Governor and Chairman of the South-East Governors' Forum, Peter Obi, has said that the South-East will not join in protests against the fuel subsidy removal which begin today.

He disclosed this shortly after a meeting of traders and political leaders in the zone at the Governor's Lodge, Amawbia near Awka, the state capital.

The South-East political leaders and traders had expressed support to President Goodluck Jonathan on the removal of fuel subsidy.

Obi said the support on the issue of the removal of fuel subsidy was predicated on the fact that funds saved from the exercise would be used to improve the economy of the country, especially in the areas of infrastructure, power, education and job creation, and enjoined the Federal Government to ensure that the funds were strictly applied in the specified areas.

While commending the Federal Government for efforts made so far, the leaders and traders had called for more decisive measures to ensure security of life and property in various parts of the country, especially the troubled parts.

On their own part, traders from the South-East have expressed support for the removal of fuel subsidy and have disassociated themselves from the nationwide strike which begins today.

In an eight-point communiqué issued after their meeting in Awka and signed by the President, Chief Okwudili Ezenwankwo and Secretary, Mr. Temple Udeh, the traders said they believe the decision was taken in the overall interest of the country.

They said their support was premised on the promise that savings from the subsidy will be channeled to massive infrastructural development and job creation. The communiqué noted that massive improvement in the road and railway infrastructure will facilitate easy movement of goods and services across the country and reduce distribution cost.

They observed that the initial hardship that will be experienced by Nigerians will be compensated by the palliative planned to cushion the effects and urged President Jonathan to fulfill promises made to the people in addition to reducing the cost of governance as a demonstration of his commitment to making sacrifice.

The traders lamented the monumental corruption that has characterised the petroleum industry over the years as a result of the distortions created by the subsidy which they noted have enriched the individuals.

They called on organised labour, civil society organisations and other stakeholders to give the government a chance and go into negotiations for lasting solution, urging them to begin talks with Justice Alfa Belgore-led negotiation team for peace in the country.

http://www.nigeriancompass.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10553:subsidy-removal-no-protest-in-south-east-says-obi&catid=54:nigeria-today&Itemid=594
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by DanKan0: 10:04pm On Jan 09, 2012
[flash=300,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvQyfl3aoKs[/flash]

Fisherman Jonathan  tongue tongue
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by supereagle(m): 10:05pm On Jan 09, 2012
The fools in the house who called the protest an epic failure. Do they watch AIT all to see state by state relaay.
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by sandee575(f): 10:05pm On Jan 09, 2012
That was one huge protest. The most successful ever. Only a CRETIN (apologies to Sagamite) will describe it as a failure.
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by kels001: 10:05pm On Jan 09, 2012
una wey dey talk say the protest na failure, just wait untill you see police begin pull uniform dey run enter bush na there una go know say nor be child play plus wen we don start to dey hold una fada and una for the naija money wey una chop na then una go fear fear
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by hbrednic: 10:06pm On Jan 09, 2012
alj harem:

The country is watching all u bigots along side your  SE governors.
Alhaji no more smuggling to Niger and Chad,hurt as you like
the subsidy is already resting in peace.to hell with economic sabotuers  cool cool cool
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by DanKan0: 10:07pm On Jan 09, 2012
alj harem dont mind them. The situation on the ground is very different to that on the net  cool cool cool. If SE dont want to protest let them stay home since na Igbo man in office  grin. 2015 we shall see if GEJ or Nigeria lasts that long which im 50/50 about  cool cool cool
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by AmAlone: 10:07pm On Jan 09, 2012
BIG SUCCESS!!!!

WOW!!! SO LOVELY
I CAN'T WAIT FOR TOMORROWS UPDATE

ONCE AGAIN THUMBS UP FOR PHCN
OBOI IT WAS LIGHT 2/4 THROUGH OUT TODAY OOO
CON C WHERE BOYS DEY OCCUPY NAIJA ALL OVER OJOTA

ABEG MAKE ORNA JOIN US!!!

THOSE OF YOU PAID RASCALS SAYING IT WAS A FAILURE
PLEASE COME TO OJOTA ANYTIME ANY DAY TO SAY THIS. . . .
P.s. Come with you coffin
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by FunLis: 10:08pm On Jan 09, 2012
I
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by moshoodn(m): 10:10pm On Jan 09, 2012
Chains of slavery is hard to break. . . But we shall break it this month.
Really Big Success!
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by chikis(m): 10:11pm On Jan 09, 2012
alj harem:

You see, you don't even know what the protest was about and you are here calling it a failure and shouting fresh air

bigotry is really killing Nigeria

Ok explain how 200 billion from yaradua subsidy jumped to 1.3 trillion during GEJ ?
That is another reason why the subsidy should not be allowed to stay. Rember, during Obsanjo time, subsidy was about N500 million. At Yaradua time, it climbed N200 billion just like you have mentioned. Now at Goodluck time, it skyrocketed to N1.3 trillion.
These are the more reason why it has to be removed. If it is allow to stay, the amount (subsidy) used in maintaining the price of fuel at N65 or less will keep on increasing due to corruption and high cost of importation of pure fuel from abroad. Now that the subsidy has been removed, the money saved from the policy will be pulled back into other areas of the economy like providing social amenities, good eductational system, health system if only the fund are well monitored. Again, if the subsidy is allowed to stay, it means the goverment will be using huge chunk of it revenue (funds) in subsidizing the cost of petrol. If that continues, it therefore means that our borrowing atitude will never stop and development will be at a snail speed. One thing about Nigerian goverment is that when they borrow, they don't service the loan on time and all this will be compounding our economic wows.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Accommodation Crisis Hits Buhari’s Ministers / Sheriff, Kashamu Want El-Rufai-Amaechi Ticket By Killing PDP - NYM / Police And Shiite Protesters Clash In Abuja (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.