Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,119 members, 7,814,923 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:34 PM

So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? (21408 Views)

Obiano Visits Mosque Which Was Attacked During The Protest In Onitsha (Photos) / These Are Four Key Factors That Will Determine Buhari's Success Or Failure / Nine Indices That Determine Political Success Or Failure In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by DanKan0: 10:11pm On Jan 09, 2012
FunLis:

I cant beleive a NORMAL Nigerian will support gej, what dont u get? That these "leaders" are all corrupt and the removed subsidy will be shared greedily as other funds and resources have and are been or that the average Nigerian cant afford the high cost of living due to d subsidy removal? He needs to think of snother way to generate the funds he needs, by the way, the protest today was successful.

80% of the people in Nigeria know this.  zero confidence in GEJ cool cool cool. GEJ is feeding the remaining 20% with his N1 Billion food allowance  cool cool
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by hbrednic: 10:12pm On Jan 09, 2012
DanKan0:

alj harem dont mind them. The situation on the ground is very different to that on the net  cool cool cool. If SE dont want to protest let them stay home since na Igbo man in office  grin. 2015 we shall see if GEJ or Nigeria lasts that long which im 50/50 about  cool cool cool
NO MORE HANDOUTS,NO MORE SMUGGLING TO CHAD AND NIGER,REST IN PEACE SUBSIDY
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by DanKan0: 10:13pm On Jan 09, 2012
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by Anybaba: 10:13pm On Jan 09, 2012
Occupy Nigeria !  Una don finish ? Even in the face of fact that what goes on in the downstream sector is gross corruption, some ill-informed people are ranting all over the place, running mad, without shirts, like spoilt little babies. Capital Failure ! You cannot fight an idea whose time has come. Downstream deregulation is here. FULL STOP. grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by DanKan0: 10:15pm On Jan 09, 2012
hbrednic:

NO MORE HANDOUTS,NO MORE SMUGGLING TO CHAD AND NIGER,REST IN PEACE SUBSIDY

Yep let GEJ + his boys eat it all sir. Let them become so fat that when we start chasing them nowhere to hide  cool cool . 1st January 2012 has marked a change in Naija for that I thank Mr Fisherman  cool
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by aljharem(m): 10:16pm On Jan 09, 2012
chikis:

That is another reason why the subsidy should not be allowed to stay. Rember, during Obsanjo time, subsidy was about N500 million. At Yaradua time, it climbed N200 billion just like you have mentioned. Now at Goodluck time, it skyrocketed to N1.3 trillion.
These are the more reason why it has to be removed. If it is allow to stay, the amount (subsidy) used in maintaining the price of fuel at N65 or less will keep on increasing due to corruption and high cost of importation of pure fuel from abroad. Now that the subsidy has been removed, the money saved from the policy will be pulled back into other areas of the economy like providing social amenities, good eductational system, health system if only the fund are well monitored. Again, if the subsidy is allowed to stay, it means the goverment will be using huge chunk of it revenue (funds) in subsidizing the cost of petrol. If that continues, it therefore means that our borrowing atitude will never stop and development will be at a snail speed. One thing about Nigerian goverment is that when they borrow, they don't service the loan on time and all this will be compounding our economic wows.

[size=20pt]Taaaaa!!!! stop your lies[/size]

Subsidy was never 500 million during OBJ era

It was [size=14pt]AROUND the same price during OBJ and Yaradua you bloody lairs. [/size]Although Inflation would take part thus not exactly the same price and exchange rate was 130 naira to a dollar

here is a link from BBC

"[size=18pt]Subsidising cheap fuel costs the government in Abuja more than $2bn (£1.25bn) a year - and getting rid of that subsidy has become the first priority of President Olusegun Obasanjo's second term in power. "

is about 200-300 billion not 1.3 trillion
[/size]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3077049.stm
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by MuNeme(m): 10:16pm On Jan 09, 2012
NLC and TUC leadership coaxed traders and businessmen to lock up their shops in solidarity to the strike action, at the end of the month the labour people get their salaries while the ordinary man is left to fend for his family.So who suffers?
The supposed leaders(comprising mostly election losers,disgruntled ex ministers and disfavoured political jobbers) of the protest encourage their followers to keep vigil at the protest ground while they retire to the comfort of their homes!
For every protester that's injured my heart bleeds because they deserve better.
Back to the topic of the thread:the protest failed though the strike succeeded. However,from tomorrow onwards businesses the tempo will start to fizzle out. I say this because my office is opening to customers tomorrow likewise other offices.
God bless Nigeria
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by Nobody: 10:17pm On Jan 09, 2012
Nigerians no fit just compose and do the right things! wetin be all dis burn burn wey I dey hia? Any ways a cigaba da gashi!! cool
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by dustydee: 10:18pm On Jan 09, 2012
alj harem:

Yes he is your brother ethnically speaking because he is Igbo

with that said, it is a sound policy and is anyone arguing ?

Well done
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by onyekabe(m): 10:19pm On Jan 09, 2012
A big failure cos it turned into religious fight in benin which will spread to other part of the country if it continued tomorrow
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by Anybaba: 10:19pm On Jan 09, 2012
DanKan0:

alj harem dont mind them. The situation on the ground is very different to that on the net  cool cool cool. If SE dont want to protest let them stay home since na Igbo man in office  grin. 2015 we shall see if GEJ or Nigeria lasts that long which im 50/50 about  cool cool cool

See this one? Why don't you quietly wait for 2015 and see what will happen. It should have been a Hausa man before he can get support. And who cares if Nigeria breaks in 2015? EPIC FAILURE ! The bigotry disguised as protest has failed. It will keep failing and failing. Deregulation of petroleunm industry is here, kpiam !!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by AmAlone: 10:22pm On Jan 09, 2012
chikis:

That is another reason why the subsidy should not be allowed to stay. Rember, during Obsanjo time, subsidy was about N500 million. At Yaradua time, it climbed N200 billion just like you have mentioned. Now at Goodluck time, it skyrocketed to N1.3 trillion.
These are the more reason why it has to be removed. If it is allow to stay, the amount (subsidy) used in maintaining the price of fuel at N65 or less will keep on increasing due to corruption and high cost of importation of pure fuel from abroad. Now that the subsidy has been removed, the money saved from the policy will be pulled back into other areas of the economy like providing social amenities, good eductational system, health system if only the fund are well monitored. Again, if the subsidy is allowed to stay, it means the goverment will be using huge chunk of it revenue (funds) in subsidizing the cost of petrol. If that continues, it therefore means that our borrowing atitude will never stop and development will be at a snail speed. One thing about Nigerian goverment is that when they borrow, they don't service the loan on time and all this will be compounding our economic wows.

So why not fight corruption and leave the damn subsidy??
hmmm?
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by Abagworo(m): 10:23pm On Jan 09, 2012
The truth is that it is either the price is reduced below 100 Naira or the Karl Max theory will come to play in Nigeria. The rise of the masses against the elites and it will be deadly.

The killing of protesters is raising the spirit of Nigerians. Their death shall never be in vain.

On the Southeast, they are not a politically sophisticated people and are bound to sheepishly follow any easy,myopically profitable route. I am Igbo myself and know this well. Even during the eve of election when we had South-southerners engaged in constructive arguments on reasons to vote or not to vote GEJ, the Ohaneze hurriedly endorsed him unanimously.

In Nigeria, the Fulanis have the best leadership quality followed by the Yorubas. They fight for human rights and are ready to die for it. The Hausas and non-Igbo South-southerners are good followers and will gain more political advantage than Igbos any day. Even Igbos in Delta State are not political nor the Ikwerres and Etches of Rivers State.
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by Ayoolu12: 10:23pm On Jan 09, 2012
Its too erly to tell. However, those poor souls that were killed will not die for nothing.
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by hbrednic: 10:24pm On Jan 09, 2012
DanKan0:

Yep let GEJ + his boys eat it all sir. Let them become so fat that when we start chasing them nowhere to hide  cool cool . 1st January 2012 has marked a change in Naija for that I thank Mr Fisherman  cool
Yes he is a fisherman and so what  
No more business as usual,GEJ IS THE MAN.BYE BYE TO CROSS-BOARDER SMUGGLING.
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by aljharem(m): 10:24pm On Jan 09, 2012
who do this people think they are fooling

OBJ = about 300-400 billion paid to subsidy - 8 years of payment
                                ^

Yaradua = 600 billion paid to subsidy - 2 years of payment

^

Jonathan= 1.3 trillion paid to subsidy - 1 year of payment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3077049.stm

http://saharareporters.com/article/nigeria-fuel-subsidy-and-yaraduas-time
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by megastu(m): 10:25pm On Jan 09, 2012
when people are sleeping in the Airports, when Jonathan has hurriedly told us that 25% og govt basic salaries will be cut, then u say the strike is not a success?
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by Nobody: 10:26pm On Jan 09, 2012
Wikileaks advices that Nigerians should get informed and stand for their human right or bow down to the dictatorship of President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan

Wikileaks admits of having in their possession secret/classified documents of bank transaction of President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan transferring 23billion dollars from Nigeria excess crude oil account and 80billion dollars from Nigeria foreign reserves account to his private account, that the removal of the country's fuel subsidy is a way of covering his tracks.

Wikileaks advices that to triple the price of fuel in the Nigeria, an under developing country of a population of 150million citizens, will increase inflations by 120% and devalue the country's currency by 50%, I.e citizens will have to pay double the price for a commodity(goods and services)

Wikileaks advices that Nigerian citizens to Protest against the dictatorship of President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan for 5working days for a start (that's from Monday-Friday) so the Government will feel the impact when the value of the stock exchange falls and the economy is at a standstill, google Wikileaks and read more, What GEJ is doing

And this is the man u apologists want us to support. I RATHER ENDURE A FEW MONTHS OF HARDSHIP THAN A GENERATION OF HARDSHIP BEING INFLICTED BY A WICKED AND INSENSITIVE GOVT. OCCUPY NAIJA,
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by Olumogun: 10:26pm On Jan 09, 2012
I AM NOT SURPRISE TO SEE SOME SPONSORED MEMBERS OF JONATHAN-HARAM TALKING ON NAIRALAND.
HOWEVER, IF YOU ARE NOT ONE OF THOSE IN THE CARTEL-CRAZY WHO IS BENEFITING FROM THE SO CALL SUBSIDY
THEN YOU WILL KNOW, OR SEE, OR HEAR BY NOW THAT TODAY'S BEEN THE FIRST DAY OF THE PROTEST (THAT MAY INVARIABLY BECOME REVOLUTION)
IS A BIG SUCCESS. SEE U TOMORROW AT FAWEHINMI GARDEN PARK, OJOTA FOR MORE ACTIONS
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by humblebee: 10:27pm On Jan 09, 2012
only failures will see today's protest as a fail attempt, Beaf and his cohorts with multiple IDs
a protest that disrupted the whole economy and the strike action handicapped both the sea ports and the airports. you call this failure, go back to school
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by Nobody: 10:27pm On Jan 09, 2012
[size=15pt]Its a pity that people call it a success even when what you clamored for, has not been granted. What makes it a success. Please am just asking. No offeinseee ![/size]
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by najoke: 10:28pm On Jan 09, 2012
happimis:

My prayers to all the idiots who support the removal of fuel subsidy is that may God turn their lifes in the other way round, becos u earn or make eneough money to afford the basic things of life, that y u all are saying BS, what of those who can even afford 3 square meals. All those who support the removal may God put u all in a position of  pains that a lot of nigerians are feeling. silly people. May God punnish u all who support the feul subsidy removal right in fron of the whole world, self centered people, , olose. Owon ode,  Mschew. Ill curse, if u can't even put d masses in consideration, cos u can afford to pay for fuel @#140/litre and afford increased price of commodities, what of the poor?, May God I worship punish u all who support the fuel subsidy removal now.

The protest was a huge success

Amen a million time,and they baba God shall punish 10*10 million time
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by eleffizi: 10:28pm On Jan 09, 2012
For those that said the protest was a failure, please look at the response on the URL below to see the reaction of Nigerians from all parts of the country to know if it REALLY was a failure.

http://lindaikeji..com/2012/01/photos-occupynigeria-protesters-march.html#more

There will always be Nigerians who do not support actions like this, that is normal. We cannot all think the same way.

But from what I am seeing, Nigerians cannot cope with this fuel subsidy removal, and they are determined to protest relentlessly until the policy is reversed.
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by VULCAN(m): 10:29pm On Jan 09, 2012
Listened to one of the serving House Of Reps members speaking at the NLC rally in Abuja. He said that when they asked Jonathan to explain how come fuel subsidy jumped to N1.2 Trillion when only N250 Billion was budgeted; that Jonathan said it was a cabal. They asked him who are those in this cabal. Then Jonathan said he wud send the names to them. Then he said that the next day Jonathan travelled to France with the cabal members on his entourage.

He is saying what everyone who is truthful to himself and who will stand before God one day also knows. The cabal eats and sleeps with Jonathan and made very heavy donations to his election. Anybody who opens his mouth to say that these people are faceless just because they are benefitting from this govt will repeat these words at the Gates of Heaven.

For those of you who dont know the cabal members you can go here: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-816623.0.html  This lists those who collect subsidy. The remaining members are a few government officials in NNPC, PPRA, DPR, Min of Petroleum and The Presidency.

Because I am involved in the oil and gas industry i also know dat a few of these guys have been promised Refinery licenses but the condition they gave was that the subsidy must go first. This is evil cause it will take a minimum of 18 months on average to put up a Refinery (this is in countries where things work it will probably take longer here!) So they want us to pay N141-N200 for that long.

The bible says "woe unto you when your king is a child"

So thats the woe we are experiencing. A man that has no experience whatsover in leading men. He studied Zoology so all his academic knowledge prepared him for dealing with animals. Even while he was a Gov. he was taking orders from Alams who had been disgraced out of office. What a shame. Let him cut down on his feeding and kitchen equipment. To budget N75m to refit your kitchen in Nigeria is insanity. Especially when we all know that the kichen will be refitted again next year.

I know that some people are saying that this is a fuel subsidy removal battle: actually its a protest against a father who tells his children that they have to stop eating delicacies cos he is not making enough money then goes on to order champagne and caviar in their presence while stopping them from eating chicken.
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by Nobody: 10:29pm On Jan 09, 2012
Nigeria is in lock down mode and u retards still think d strike is a failure, Keep decieving ur self
okonjo has joined akunyuli in the dustbin of nigeria's history
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by Goldcon: 10:30pm On Jan 09, 2012
I am not an economist but I know that a system that is subsidizing consumption without empowering production will DEFINITELY collapse. That is exactly what we are doing as fuel subsidy. You cant be subsidizing consumption and expect people to make efforts to produce. I don’t know all the details and what exactly should be done economically but if this is an economic challenge that requires and economic approach, then I strongly have faith in the judgment and prescription of a team make up of world renowned experts like Okonjo Iweala, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, Aganga including  Maduekwe. As far as I know they are about the best team Nigeria can put together at the moment. If another person were the president I wonder if we could have a better team setup. [size=8pt][size=8pt]I, you and everyone will eagerly swallow a bitter pill provided it was prescribe by a qualified Physician.
[/size][/size]

Nigerians want a change but are not ready to MAKE a change. When you expect change to occur on its own, I see that as evolution; which takes a very, very long time and you can hardly determine the result.

Maybe the Government didn’t handle the process well but what do you think are the benefits of this subsidy removal and what government should do.

1. Nigerians (some of them have refineries abroad) and other investors will now build refineries here which will lead to massive employment and product availability.

2. Government should “subsidize” the building of refineries through loans, tax reliefs, easy license acquisition etc.

3. Construct high-speed cargo and executive passenger railways particularly from Lagos to east.

Please, let’s have your view on the benefits of subsidy removal and what government should.
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by hbrednic: 10:30pm On Jan 09, 2012
tongue tongue tongue
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by aljharem(m): 10:30pm On Jan 09, 2012

Quote from Obiagu

This is the reason for the protest.
Check the base of those companies list; North and SW.

Carry go GEJ, no more oil thieves!

That was why he supports the removal of subsidy

ETHNIC BIGOT.
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by Nobody: 10:35pm On Jan 09, 2012
[size=15pt]Its a pity that people call it a success even when what you clamored for, has not been granted. What makes it a success. Please am just asking. No offeinseee ![/size]
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by Pukkah: 10:35pm On Jan 09, 2012
Channels TV station at 10pm today reported something like: 'the strike called by Labour brings the nation to a standstill'. The fact speaks for itself.

Every reasonable man acting reasonably knows that the strike was successful, at least in the area of creating awareness and forcing people to start asking questions on governance. People have been asking some probing and searching questions with no answers provided.

I ask those who are deluding or deceiving themselves (or trying to misguide others) about this action: how many of the 36 states and FCT ran today normally? Is there any enlightened and healthy/fit Nigerian, both home and even abroad, that did not know that something was happening? How many banks' head offices (or branches) opened for business? What of the stock exchange market? How many other companies or businesses opened?

To be honest, it's been very long that I saw a widespread protest/agitation of this magnitude in Nigeria (in terms of crowd and national spread). There is just some sort of anger, discontent, and disenchantment pervading the land. If you like take it, if you like reject it; it does not change the truth.

Nevertheless, the ultimate success of the action is in the way Mr President handles this sensitive issue and my advice is that he should do so carefully, cautiously and wisely. We don't want more deaths and Mr Jonathan should address all the concerns/questions while also removing the subsidy in a HUMANE and well-thought out manner. You don't just increase the hardship on people overnight and expect them not to kick or ask questions. If he fails to handle it well, no one is sure of who the eventual casualties will be.

In all of this, let's not be childish or infantile as to look for winners or losers. This is our country and we should want it to succeed. Our approach may be different but I assume that we should be patriotic, sincere, and honest in whatever we do or say because of that day when we shall be no more.

Peace.
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by Nobody: 10:36pm On Jan 09, 2012
whats all this fruitless debate we have become saddled with on nairaland.u say failure i say not.its done and over with.the thing is that we have been waitin for things to change and u being ur ogar eye and ears only come here to incite,demoralise and lie to us.
What more do u want from us.u kill us,steal from us,destroy us and divide us,what wrong have the nigerian pple done to u that you inflict us daily with grievances.
We have supported u guys,prayed 4 u in churches and mosques that GOD would touch ur hearts
u arent satisfied till u c us in rags?is that it?
We are not askn 4 schools,healthcare,justice,or jobs.we are askn that u let us manage our lives because we are rock bottom.just leave us the way u came and met us if u have no intention of helpn us
Re: So Is The Protest A Success Or A Failure? by Beaf: 10:37pm On Jan 09, 2012
#Occupy! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Fail.
Mentally lazy people.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Ali-Modu Sheriff: Allegations of Boko Haram Connection (What the Records Say) / Yorubas And Niger Delta Oil / Festus Keyamo On 774,000 Jobs: "Politicians Blackmailing Me"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.