Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,616 members, 7,816,526 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:39 PM

Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming (28309 Views)

UNILAG Students Arrested For Attempting To Resurrect Colleague..see Pictures / Court Restrains FG From Renaming UNILAG / ASUU Introduces ‘UNILAG Forever’ Badge To Discredit Renaming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by ortopazz(m): 12:31pm On May 29, 2012
Piyke: Very sad news angry. University of Lagos would command much more international repute. Now this beautiful place now has a name that makes it sound as if its a place that raises dullards. No disrespect to MKO, he was a great man but men! Its like changing University of London to Tony Blair University

your right on spot but i doubt if it will change a thing, i am of the beliv that most of his cabinet members must av told him of the consequence and yet he decided to still go on.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Jongrac: 12:32pm On May 29, 2012
Jonathan has lost it, wat a sad way 2 celeb democracy day by giving himself away to insults from hitherto loyal students. Oda advanced countries name buildings and memorials after fallen heroes. Beta still, should there be any nid 2 immortalize anyone, such wld hav bin tort out frm inception and nt abruptly changing d name of a renowned institution lik UNILAG. For those who care 2knw, name is brand, n brand markets d product. I stand wif d students on this one!
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Raxxye(m): 12:33pm On May 29, 2012
It‘s very unreasonable to change the name of that institution. I wonder on who‘s advice GEJ went about this, that is pitching him against the people. The name “University of Lagos“ commanded lots of respect!
GEJ, better don‘t try it with my Uniport!
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Iveanyi: 12:34pm On May 29, 2012
jmaine: Going away from the emotional tirade which i also indulged in briefly . . .aint we supposed to bug ourselves with the entire GEJ speech by trying to scrutinize his speech for the merits and the demerits . . .

Funny how much tears is shed over "Just name change" that is materialistic than focus on issues that have more substance that will impacts on our lives directly

What's it's really in a name when we should be concerned about the quality of the education we receive . . . .
Your last paragraph is what I expected the 'name changers' to have had in mind in the first place.

1 Like

Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by crusufixo(m): 12:34pm On May 29, 2012
I just passed the protest. They blocked traffic at fadeyi area which caused serious holdup. A truck full of armed military police men later showed to open up traffic. There was no violence though.

If i were in their shoes, i would also not be happy, but they went about it the wrong way.Am just grateful that there was no violence, else we would be hearing of dead students, and i hope it remains that way.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Pukkah: 12:34pm On May 29, 2012
Today, very few people even remember that Obafemi Awolowo University used to be known as Unife. As at that time, there was also some sentiment against the name change to OAU. Some alumni even refused to refer to the school as OAU preferring to stick to the defunct, arguably more prestigious, Unife.

However, time cures everything as the initial scepticism and kicks that greeted the change to OAU is now history. Such is life. I'm not surprised though that the present Unilag's, sorry MAU's undergrads are protesting against the name change. They were not old enough or unborn when MKO held sway and were probably very young when MKO paid he supreme sacrifice for the democracy that is in place today.

I'm not holding brief for Jonathan but you see, time heals everything. Very soon, only a few people will remember, just like the case of Unife or OSU, that MAU was once known as Unilag. The questions should be: does MKO deserve he honor, was due process followed in the name change, and so on?
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by chrisosi: 12:35pm On May 29, 2012
Season film......I just sidon dey look no mean say i no get sense. gej should beta stop this trash now b4 its too late
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by PHIPEX(m): 12:39pm On May 29, 2012
What goes around truely comes around, am not happy about this change of a great name like Unilag because even the Bible says that a good name is worth more than riches but I remember that some persons on NL were asking for the change of UNN to Ikemba Ojukwu when the NA was asked to immortalise him. Beware of what you wish for others because you may have it first. The beautiful word "Unilag" is hereby deleted from the global dictionary but other Universities in the north should take note because Umaru Yaradua University maybe given birth to by the next administration.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by benzion72(m): 12:39pm On May 29, 2012
GEJ advisers have done it again. Everything is stupid and dumb. Now he want to do what OBJ fail to do recognizes. MKO but he did it the wrong way. Habana GEJ why not get. Better adviser and stop consulting sycophants

1 Like

Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by duni04(m): 12:40pm On May 29, 2012
See hw jona has destroyed their swaggar. Eyin omo unilag or Mau, pele o.Great Mauites! Lmao. Very soon he'll announce the appointment of Dame patience Jonathan as d new VC of Mau to totally finish wots left of d remaining swaggar.

1 Like

Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by glimpse(f): 12:40pm On May 29, 2012
Alxmyr: Is this the first time government will change name of University?
Make all the UNILAG dudes go and sit down.

wen university of ife was changed 2 obafemi awolowo university,i dnt tink they protested. Mak al dose unilag...oops MAU students go read dia book b4 anoda yr wld b added 2 dia stay in sch.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Iveanyi: 12:40pm On May 29, 2012
Raxxye: It‘s very unreasonable to change the name of that institution. I wonder on who‘s advice GEJ went about this, that is pitching him against the people. The name “University of Lagos“ commanded lots of respect!
GEJ, better don‘t try it with my Uniport!
Lol! Wait till there's a need to immortalize Ken Saro Wiwa.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by ifihearam: 12:41pm On May 29, 2012
What is wrong with all those protesting? Is their fathers the owner of the school? Are they the ones that will tell the president what and when and how to name a school? Wether they protest from now till nightfall nothing can be done to reverse or rescind the decision of the president.
And if they persist they will be arrested and heaven will not fall
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by amosy007: 12:41pm On May 29, 2012
ollah1: As unilag don become MAU and
AKOKAITE becomes MOSHOOIDTE

Expect changes like

University of Ibadan - Lamidi Adedibu University

LASU - Bola Tinubu University

University of Ilorin - Saraki University

Osun state University - Iyiola Omisore university

Niger Delta University - MEND/GEJ university

University of ABJ - OBJ University.

University Of Benin - Stella Obasanjo University SOA etc =)) =D

university pf nigeria nzuka - ojukwu ikemba uni cool
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by damoskiy(m): 12:43pm On May 29, 2012
Viewing this topic: jossy26, felix200, gegee(m), davidwemby, Honadeadek, asala1, DaShyGuy(m), overkill®(f), crusufixo(m), Raxxye(m), amaham, solgee(m), tomzman, petrus4good, Chanchit, p. rimzi, joshuapharm, de Hitchcock(f), Jongrac, tonmandy(m), twizzleshi(f), honouruy(m), Pukkah, Hemanwel(m), tintingz, idnoble007(m), sesanayo(m), nastydamus(m), sarutobie(m), stchrischu, sun_temi(m), Tobbylobar(m), 2muchluv, johnsonadex, Taiw(m), saxywale(m), SimonAndal(m), Ekuzzy, euphoria, solsy(f), KILLnairaland, saintkola(m), eraddy07 (m), oldlord(m), neeyee88, DRIZ, kody-licky(f), olumidazz, donigspain(m), gbesky(m), tainot2002(m), Adagba1, tripleaa, gaborel, mollytinrox(f), kowade, jnrremedy, kingPINN(m), rill, salibee, shadows4(m), PHIPEX(m), Ayorh4you, chidike(m), macIB(m), susku mayaya(m), polis007, damola1, duni04, glimpse(f), Emmy9ite, icemann, llorisbhone(m), maclatunji, fatadis, Jkorokoro, Claroo(m), daik(m), ifihearam, emmasonik(m), al-ahamad(m), eezeebone(m), nasty45(m), Edbieni(m), pauloman(m), stalyf, don buchi(m), desertboom(m), kamsibaby, warrior01, amosy007, livapul86(m), jmoore(m), basisop, bamaiyii(m), sirwebs(m), chuglothen(f), POTUT(m), area_boy1(m), DSB(m), flash_it(f), WackyJ1(m), Iveanyi, damoskiy, TheShopKeeper(m) and 156 guest(s)

just because of this change of name o ga gan.......................
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Adagba1: 12:45pm On May 29, 2012
I doubt weda this man attended univesity at all.If it is my almamater I wont forgive him.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by chidike(m): 12:45pm On May 29, 2012
Please UNILAG/MAU students should go back to their hostels o! Before you know it, thugs will hijack this protest which i'm sure isn't coordinated and innocent girls will be raped, people will be robbed, injured and the police will start shooting at people and later claim they shot in the air. Its just a name change after four or five years you go waka leave am. i graduated from Nnamdi Azikiwe university, which people refer to as UNIZIK, its just a name change to honor someone who deserved it, the 'UNILAG' name cannot be removed from our minds. A word they say is enough...
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Ilaje44(m): 12:46pm On May 29, 2012
PHIPEX: What goes around truely comes around, am not happy about this change of a great name like Unilag but I remember that some persons on NL were asking for the change of UNN to Ikemba Ojukwu University (IOU) when the NA was asked to immortalise him. Beware of what you wish for others because you may have it first. The beautiful word "Unilag" is hereby deleted from the global dictionary but ABU should take note because Umaru Yaradua University maybe given birth to by the next administration.

Dont be silly! What do you think A B U stands for?
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by alahamad(m): 12:47pm On May 29, 2012
Pretty soon, he'll re-name is to Patient Ebele Jonathan University "PEJU".....then we'll have soldiers gaurding the senate building
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by godello: 12:47pm On May 29, 2012
Cold war! Better know what you ar fighting for!.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by glimpse(f): 12:50pm On May 29, 2012
Uniport, b prepared o. Cos u jst might b renamed Ken Saro Wiwa University...lol grin
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by kasiem(m): 12:50pm On May 29, 2012
do they want dis school to be producing womanizer, rogues, and people who'l die of tea poison?

1 Like

Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by ifihearam: 12:51pm On May 29, 2012
Is this protest really necessary and some of you have the guts to say the president is dull
Why protesting against what can never be undone
Foolish student protesting
Don't go face ur study
Anofias
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Ilaje44(m): 12:52pm On May 29, 2012
ifihearam: What is wrong with all those protesting? Is their fathers the owner of the school? Are they the ones that will tell the president what and when and how to name a school? Wether they protest from now till nightfall nothing can be done to reverse or rescind the decision of the president.
And if they persist they will be arrested and heaven will not fall

A very pathetic opinion. If their fathers are not the owner of the institution, which is untrue, does that give GEJ any right to abuse our democracy? I am a diehard Abiola fan, I voted for him on that faithful June 12, and I believe he should be immortalized, however not in such a dumb and autocratic way.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Iveanyi: 12:53pm On May 29, 2012
glimpse:

wen university of ife was changed 2 obafemi awolowo university,i dnt tink they protested. Mak al dose unilag...oops MAU students go read dia book b4 anoda yr wld b added 2 dia stay in sch.
Actually not only Uni Ife. Zaria to ABU, Sokoto to UDF, Edo to AAU, Ogun to OOU, not sure but I think Kano & Bauchi to BUK & ATBU respectively, just to name a few. So it's not new to us. My only problem is that it is not and never was called for. Nomenclature is not the problem with our tertiary education. There are better ways to immortalize past statesmen. That's if they even deserve it.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by cowgurl: 12:54pm On May 29, 2012
SMH
@ students protesting cos of the renaming, are they going to be in the
school forever? Misplaced priorities exhibited in the highest order,
pathetic when the protest falls on deaf ears as usual.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by PHIPEX(m): 12:58pm On May 29, 2012
Ilaje44:

Dont be silly! What do you think A B U stands for?
I'v taken note, thanks.
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by 9free(m): 12:59pm On May 29, 2012
Rename Unijos and loose your presidential seat @GEJ
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by pauloman(m): 1:00pm On May 29, 2012
Ideasroole: I totally disagree with you on this. Seriously, the name of any institution has got little or nothing to do with your individual capability and acquired skills maybe you were just trying to talk about the swagzzz that's attach to it.

Have u ever heard of the word Brand? That is what UNILAG represents and its not just locally but internationally. Imaging changing the name HAVARD UNIVERSITY to another name?!
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by phreakabit(m): 1:00pm On May 29, 2012
[size=18pt]RFLMAO!!!! What an absolutely razz name . . . This automatically means NO MORE SWAG! Students of LASU must be laughing their asses off right now. I remember when LASU used to be referred to as the razz one. Though no longer a student, I don't support the change of name at all![/size]
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by overkillR(f): 1:01pm On May 29, 2012
What's in a name? The name of an institution is changed from A to B so how does that affect d standard of education? Mtschewww.... Except I'm missing something here. Misplaced priority! They are just as clueless as the accused!
Re: Occupy UNILAG: Students Protest MAU Renaming by Iveanyi: 1:02pm On May 29, 2012
ifihearam: Is this protest really necessary and some of you have the guts to say the president is dull
Why protesting against what can never be undone
Foolish student protesting
Don't go face ur study
Anofias
Everyone has a right to protest. That's a hallmark of democracy. And who says it can't be undone? Difficult & Impossible are two different things. By the way, it's 'Anu ofia'.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

How I Almost Got Rusticated Today!!! / ASUU’s Demands Unrealistic – Oby Ezekwesili / Truth Or Dare: What Really Is The Game All About In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.