Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,387 members, 7,822,796 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:05 PM

Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa (54027 Views)

Children Playing At The Premises Of Onitsha Mall / ECOWAS To Implement Common Currency In West Africa – Official / Onitsha The Largest Business City In Afica! How True Is This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by Castos(m): 7:32pm On Jul 27, 2012
Pasting evening pictures won't work! My people listen, I'm an Anambrarian and I knew how Onitsha in particular have been. I couldn't agree more with the guy that said it's better now than before. Listen, Anambra rians are too commersial, they love money and want to make it at all cost(what ever it take, i mean to any lenght). Onitsha started beaming heavily with business, making Anambrarians too busy that they hardly have time for infrastructure and beautification rather, they build their own houses(I mean huge and tall houses to contain more customers and more money aswell). They build their houses ramdomly and because of land issues(land is the most serious issue in Anambra, and they can kill for it)they want to claim and use it all. Because they can't give up little of their lands(greed)their streets(onitsha)are alway small and narrow. Within those narrow streets, business is firing on. An average Onitsha man has a shop at the porpular ONITSHA MAIN MARKET, guess what? The wife is also selling else where and the children are selling at the yard. Business flows within the blood, everybody is busy that beautification hardly comes to mind. We(ANAMBRARIANS) pray that one day, we'd be the best in the world and not withstanding, in commerse. grin
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by Castos(m): 7:32pm On Jul 27, 2012
Pasting evening pictures won't work! My people listen, I'm an Anambrarian and I knew how Onitsha in particular have been. I couldn't agree more with the guy that said it's better now than before. Listen, Anambra rians are too commersial, they love money and want to make it at all cost(what ever it take, i mean to any lenght). Onitsha started beaming heavily with business, making Anambrarians too busy that they hardly have time for infrastructure and beautification rather, they build their own houses(I mean huge and tall houses to contain more customers and more money aswell). They build their houses ramdomly and because of land issues(land is the most serious issue in Anambra, and they can kill for it)they want to claim and use it all. Because they can't give up little of their lands(greed)their streets(onitsha)are alway small and narrow. Within those narrow streets, business is firing on. An average Onitsha man has a shop at the porpular ONITSHA MAIN MARKET, guess what? The wife is also selling else where and the children are selling at the yard. Business flows within the blood, everybody is busy that beautification hardly comes to mind. We(ANAMBRARIANS) pray that one day, we'd be the best in the world and not withstanding, in commerse. grin
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by Castos(m): 7:33pm On Jul 27, 2012
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by Yujin(m): 7:35pm On Jul 27, 2012
spyder880: Are we not in a democracy? Lets vote on this.

Option 1. Show it all
Option 2. "Dress the city"

Voting stops by 9pm when pictures comes up. Vote either 1 or 2.
Option 1, show it all. The fact/truth though bitter always sets one free.
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by aribisala0(m): 7:38pm On Jul 27, 2012
Actually the largest market in Nigeria is the Lagos Stock Exchange (Less is More)
I look forward to someone shifting the goalposts and redefining markets.
Next to that in terms of turnover it is the,The Capital/Money market,
The Foreign Exchange Market,
Insurance Market ALL in Lagos and all accounting for for in terms of GDP than OIL.
Outside of Lagos Wudil Cattle Market is probably the largest market
It is important to Note that the entire Business district in Lagos Island Encompasses so many Markets which are not ALL listed above.
So when we say Onitsha Market is it the whole of Onitsha or just one market.
In terms of turnover is there any data on which the Onitsha claim is based or is it the usual "I say so so it must be true and if you dare disagree you are a fool routine"
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by aribisala0(m): 7:45pm On Jul 27, 2012
Large Markets such as ONITSHA main market will be a thing of the past for obvious reasons. It is a fragmented market = several owners with few synergies between them and so its traders lack "market power" that enables them to negotiate or even bully manufacturers. e.g they cannot offer any customer service,product warranties etc such as is seen elsewhere and even taken as rights . If there is consolidation with fewer large players e.g Wal-Mart sole traders will be forced out of business as has happened in virtually every so called developed country.Those who think internet shopping is far off in Nigeria are mistaken.I predict a boom in less than 10 years and this will be dominated by corporate players who leverage their size ,internationality and logistic competences.
Of course the Onitsha players can prosper or even dominate any emerging scenario if they learn new tricks i.e forming alliances/corporate entities and prioritizing customer satisfaction which will mean subordinating old instincts/habits we shall see. hmm
eg if walmart or such like were to enter the Nigerian market few players can challenge them and they can sell virtually any product line.
In summary having a large market might once have been a thing of pride but the world is changing and in an era of internet shopping large markets(in terms of space occupied) are a liabilty not and asset.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by 2mch(m): 7:58pm On Jul 27, 2012
All i see on this thread is a paranoia of Yoruba attack. Calm down guys, i can see no Yoruba even came here to attack. Why una dey piss for pant. Na so una fear us reach? lmao. grin grin grin. Besides, you guys are only trying to make us believe what you say, without evidence. So

1 Like

Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by Pukkah: 8:04pm On Jul 27, 2012
noiseless: We must learn to ignore what the ofemmanus would say about us cos whether good or bad,they are known to be alleric to anything about us,it's their pull down tactics. So we need do our things and ignore them when we are supposed to keep focused for our own interest as they will never change. Pls OP, we are waiting and don't spare anything, lol!

What is the meaning of alleric please?
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by 2sexy(m): 8:12pm On Jul 27, 2012
Dranatomy: Talk in English so dat i can hear you
Write in English so that I can understand.
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by odumchi: 8:14pm On Jul 27, 2012
aribisala0: Large Markets such as ONITSHA main market will be a thing of the past for obvious reasons. It is a fragmented market = several owners with few synergies between them and so its traders lack "market power" that enables them to negotiate or even bully manufacturers. e.g they cannot offer any customer service,product warranties etc such as is seen elsewhere and even taken as rights . If there is consolidation with fewer large players e.g Wal-Mart sole traders will be forced out of business as has happened in virtually every so called developed country.Those who think internet shopping is far off in Nigeria are mistaken.I predict a boom in less than 10 years and this will be dominated by corporate players who leverage their size ,internationality and logistic competences.
Of course the Onitsha players can prosper or even dominate any emerging scenario if they learn new tricks i.e forming alliances/corporate entities and prioritizing customer satisfaction which will mean subordinating old instincts/habits we shall see. hmm
eg if walmart or such like were to enter the Nigerian market few players can challenge them and they can sell virtually any product line.
In summary having a large market might once have been a thing of pride but the world is changing and in an era of internet shopping large markets are a liabilty not and asset.

http://books.google.com/books?id=ks53FgVNjLkC&pg=PA57&dq=onitsha+main+market&hl=en&sa=X&ei=fecSULTAFMHW0QGyh4GACA&ved=0CEYQ6AEwBA

The largest open-air markets in Nigeria are found in (in order from largest to smallest): Onicha (Onicha Main Market), Aba (Ariaria Market), Lagos (Balogun Market), and Kano.
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by seunajia: 8:16pm On Jul 27, 2012
Mr. Globe:

Lmaooooooo.. The same way I saw in one thread that graveyards ogbomosho and ota are the most industrialized non capital cities in Nigeria. Lmaooo. Yoruba people will never cease to hide their Stup!d!ty.
To the topic post the pictures. its only Peter obi agents here who fear about the truth will say otherwise. I wish all anambra people will drop sentiments aside and vote a technocrat like soludo under pdp (very important) to fix this mess. Clown Peter obi is too petty to improve our cities

Yoruba?
I strongly object to your use of that word because it's a derogatory term for an ethnic group in Nigeria. Don't dish what you can't have. Only a silly person will as far as I'm concerned speak such words without provocation. Stop being a disgrace to the Igbo people. Learn to speak and quit being a bigot!

You don't seem to understand what the word objectivity means hence you and some others were very quick to ask the poster not to upload the pictures.
Who is deceiving who? What's with the facade?
If onitsha with all it's potentials is as it is right now won't it make greater sense to publicise the injustice been done to that very pivotal city??
This and more is the reason why we'll probably never make it to the list of great nations.

I'm an Ijebu man. I ensure to always reprimand a tribes man that speaks ill unjustly of others. If there is a place in my area that's not doing well, I'll happily publicise and clamour for change, and ask others to do same. This is only when change can come.

Enough said. Mr Globe and others like him change your ways!
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by aribisala0(m): 8:40pm On Jul 27, 2012
Mr Odumchi since you quote me,I will respond and i hope you will be kind enough to answer.I really do not know what you mean by[b] "open-air market" is this a technical term?[/b]
Kindly supply a definition of that term otherwise I don't see how one can make sense of your claim

Secondly For the purpose of our discussion here Please give a "working" definition of largeness as far as markets particularly open-air markets are concerned.
Cheers
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by odumchi: 8:56pm On Jul 27, 2012
aribisala0: Mr Odumchi since you quote me,I will respond and i hope you will be kind enough to answer.I really do not know what you mean by[b] "open-air market" is this a technical term?[/b]
Kindly supply a definition of that term otherwise I don't see how one can make sense of your claim

Secondly For the purpose of our discussion here Please give a "working" definition of largeness as far as markets particularly open-air markets are concerned.
Cheers

An open-air market is a market in which goods are displayed externally: not housed within a building.

I'm not going to argue anything technical. Besides, it's not my claim. I'm only telling you how Onicha is recognized (as supported by that book). If you refuse to accept it, or decide to think otherwise, it's not my business.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by noiseless: 8:59pm On Jul 27, 2012
Sorry my dear,i meant to type ALLERGIC!
Pukkah:

What is the meaning of alleric please?
Sorry my dear,i meant to type ALLERGIC!
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by noiseless: 9:13pm On Jul 27, 2012
I hope that one does even half of what he preaches, and not jumping in to score a cheap point. It will really go a long way if had started from your people the very usual suspects,and don't even claim that you know not what i mean.
seunajia:

Yoruba?
I strongly object to your use of that word because it's a derogatory term for an ethnic group in Nigeria. Don't dish what you can't have. Only a silly person will as far as I'm concerned speak such words without provocation. Stop being a disgrace to the Igbo people. Learn to speak and quit being a bigot!

You don't seem to understand what the word objectivity means hence you and some others were very quick to ask the poster not to upload the pictures.
Who is deceiving who? What's with the facade?
If onitsha with all it's potentials is as it is right now won't it make greater sense to publicise the injustice been done to that very pivotal city??
This and more is the reason why we'll probably never make it to the list of great nations.

I'm an Ijebu man. I ensure to always reprimand a tribes man that speaks ill unjustly of others. If there is a place in my area that's not doing well, I'll happily publicise and clamour for change, and ask others to do same. This is only when change can come.

Enough said. Mr Globe and others like him change your ways!
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by aribisala0(m): 9:20pm On Jul 27, 2012
odumchi:

An open-air market is a market in which goods are displayed externally: not housed within a building.

I'm not going to argue anything technical. Besides, it's not my claim. I'm only telling you how Onicha is recognized (as supported by that book). If you refuse to accept it, or decide to think otherwise, it's not my business.
I doubt very much that Goods are "not housed within a building" at Onitsha market I have never been there.I have been to Ariaria though,many times.Goods are certainly housed in shops which I believe are "buildings"

The other question which you failed to answer is how you define largeness. Let me remind you of the latin aphorism Ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat"he who makes a claims must prove it not he who challenges"
You claimed not only that ONICHA ia the largest but even supplied a ranking of 1st,2nd 3rd etc so we need to know what are the parameters used to define "LARGENESS".

Imagine if I declared that my "equipment" is larger that yours,folk would want to know whether we are talking weight,length,breadth,volume or what then I would say "that is generally recognized" grin.

At any rate maybe Balogun Market should NOT be on your list of "Open-air markets" because goods are certainly housed in buildings.
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by odumchi: 9:28pm On Jul 27, 2012
aribisala0:
I doubt very much that Goods are "not housed within a building" at Onitsha market I have never been there.I have been to Ariaria though,many times.Goods are certainly housed in shops which I believe are "buildings"

The other question which you failed to answer is how you define largeness. Let me remind you of the latin aphorism Ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat"he who makes a claims must prove it not he who challenges"
You claimed not only that ONICHA ia the largest but even supplied a ranking of 1st,2nd 3rd etc so we need to know what are the parameters used to define "LARGENESS".
At any rate maybe Balogun Market should NOT be on your list of "Open-air markets" because goods are certainly housed in buildings.

You should take this up with the people that ranked Onicha so, not me.
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by aribisala0(m): 9:33pm On Jul 27, 2012
odumchi:

You should take this up with the people that ranked Onicha so, not me.
They have not come to Nairaland to propagate the claim you did.
Remember you quoted me first and I am only responding.As you know from previous encounters I always dismantle inanities

Either you subscribe to it in which case you must be prepared to back it up or you creep away if you do not subscribe.
What is clear is you are backing down which is fine.We can confine the claim to the garbage heap where it belongs.
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by odumchi: 9:35pm On Jul 27, 2012
aribisala0:
They have not come to Nairaland to propagate the claim you did.

Either you subscribe to it in which case you must be prepared to back it up or you creep away if you do not subscribe.
What is clear is you are backing down which is fine.We can confine the claim to the garbage heap where it belongs.

Create a special thread for this. Let's avoid derailing this one.
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by aribisala0(m): 9:38pm On Jul 27, 2012
odumchi:

Create a special thread for this. Let's avoid derailing this one.
FYI I modified my last post which I see you quoted.Just editing cuz my screen is small
I WILL NOT CREATE A THREAD.
YOU CALLED ME OUT.
I hope you learn.Next time do not start what you cannot finish.
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by BizBooks(m): 9:42pm On Jul 27, 2012
deleted
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by aribisala0(m): 9:48pm On Jul 27, 2012
The issues are quite simple
Lagos and Kano have the largest populations in Nigeria and one would expect that they have the largest consumption of food and other FMCGs fast moving consumer goods.They certainly have the greater consumption of "RECHARGE CARDS" so one would expect the largest retail food markets in these two states.It is also the case that the greatest part of our GDP is agricultural and the output is in the North and middle belt again one would expect the largest wholesale markets to be in these areas.
This is also true for cattle and other ruminant livestock even poultry.
With regards to manufacturing almost half of FMCGs are manufatured in Lagos and in some product lines 100% we are talking things like Toilet soaps,detergents,body creams,biscuits etc which are sold NOT just to Nigerians but as far away as Ghana.
So rather than making these exuberant claims about ONICHA tell us what Goods are sold in ONICHA and to whom.

Who are the consumers of all that exchange and where do these goods come from i.e how do they get to ONICHA are they Imported or made there.
These are quite simple questions
so let us break it down
cement
Steel
Timber
Building Materials in general
Food
Textiles
Agricultural produce
Livestock
Cars
Trucks
soft drinks
beer
Fish
Palm oil
Which of these does ONICHA lead
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by ACM10: 10:20pm On Jul 27, 2012
Enugu-Osha Expressway before Boromeo bus-stop. I feel so embarrassed by the state of that road that I have to snap photo. Truly, we don't deserve the type of people we have at the helm of the affair of our state

Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by spyder880(m): 10:21pm On Jul 27, 2012
@ aribisala0, calm down bro, visit Onitsha and see the market first, am sure you will be shocked, I was!

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by seunajia: 10:21pm On Jul 27, 2012
noiseless: I hope that one does even half of what he preaches, and not jumping in to score a cheap point. It will really go a long way if had started from your people the very usual suspects,and don't even claim that you know not what i mean.

Cheap point? I felt insulted by his ofenmannu talk. And was surprised about the level of paranoia which was been displayed that was why I commented. Else, check me up. Never conceited.

BTW, The your people my people talk smacks of prejudice though.

Summary of my posts: Let's all stop being quick to play the race-card when you know you'll end up crying wolf. No one is perfect and no one enjoys being trodden upon.

In essence Mr Globe's Ofenmannu talk was inappropriate.
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by ACM10: 10:23pm On Jul 27, 2012
more

Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by ACM10: 10:27pm On Jul 27, 2012
Enugu-Osha Expressway

Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by aribisala0(m): 10:28pm On Jul 27, 2012
spyder880: @ aribisala0, calm down bro, visit Onitsha and see the market first, am sure you will be shocked, I was!
I have travelled through ONICHA several times and even spent a "long" weekend there so I have no doubt that it is a very commercial city.I have not visited the Main market though.What I have sought to clarify is quite simple so no need to ask me to calm down because I am NOT aroused.

Is the claim that the main market is the largest or the entire town most comercial.
If the former are we talking size i.e acreage or Turnover. Either way we need data. I do not need to visit the market that is the essence of research and publication. Do I need to visit Mount Everest,Kilimanjaro or the River Nile to verify claims about them.Even if I visited Everest it is doubtful I could verify any claims
Please!!!
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by spyder880(m): 10:29pm On Jul 27, 2012
aribisala0: The issues are quite simple
Lagos and Kano have the largest populations in Nigeria and one would expect that they have the largest consumption of food and other FMCGs fast moving consumer goods.They certainly have the greater consumption of "RECHARGE CARDS" so one would expect the largest retail food markets in these two states.It is also the case that the greatest part of our GDP is agricultural and the output is in the North and middle belt again one would expect the largest wholesale markets to be in these areas.
This is also true for cattle and other ruminant livestock even poultry.
With regards to manufacturing almost half of FMCGs are manufatured in Lagos and in some product lines 100% we are talking things like Toilet soaps,detergents,body creams,biscuits etc which are sold NOT just to Nigerians but as far away as Ghana.
So rather than making these exuberant claims about ONICHA tell us what Goods are sold in ONICHA and to whom.

Who are the consumers of all that exchange and where do these goods come from i.e how do they get to ONICHA are they Imported or made there.
These are quite simple questions
so let us break it down
cement
Steel
Timber
Building Materials in general
Food
Textiles
Agricultural produce
Livestock
Cars
Trucks
soft drinks
beer
Fish
Palm oil
Which of these does ONICHA lead

Bro, please cool down very well. I dont know how or why but these things you mentioned up there, bring 100 containers and it will be loaded full with any of the items you mentioned, Onitsha is a full fledged market at every corner.

If you visit the city, you will be shocked, I was! lipsrsealed
See me as I was looking like a first time visitor to London grin
if you want just simple underwear, (ordinary pants grin) you will be sure to find over a thousand traders who live, breathe and sell only pants! And these guys are seriously rich, pulling jeeps, having warehouses everywhere and shuttling to China and Dubai like they are going to the toilet!

I passed a street selling girls wears, thousands of sellers, you will see the model which is being released only today for the first time in history! In fact, I will return to Onitsha again, you guys needs to see this.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by ACM10: 10:29pm On Jul 27, 2012
Enugu-Osha Expressway before Zik Roundabout

Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by ACM10: 10:32pm On Jul 27, 2012
undecided

Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by spyder880(m): 10:33pm On Jul 27, 2012
aribisala0:
I have travelled through ONICHA several times and even spent a "long" weekend there so I have no doubt that it is a ery commercial city.I have not visited the Main market though.What I have sough to clarify is quite simple so no need to ask me to calm down because I am NOT aroused.

Is the claim that the main market is the largest or the entire town most comercial.
If the former are we talking size i.e acreage or Turnover. Either way we need data. I do not need to visit the market that is the essence of research and publication. Do I need to visit Mount Everest,Kilimanjaro or the River Nile to verify claims about them.Please!!!

I will visit Onitsha again just for you, the whole city is a very large market, the type never seen anywhere else in West Africa. Both in turnover and acreage, size, volume and depth, Onitsha is a city where fortunes are made and lost daily. Guys here prefer trading to going to school, and most are seriously rich boys now.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Woman Shows Off Her Savings From January To December (Photos,Video) / Nigeria, The Only Country That Goes Cashless Without Network (pics) / CBN Introduces New Charges On Bank Deposits And Withdrawals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.