Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,030 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:55 PM

Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa (54003 Views)

Children Playing At The Premises Of Onitsha Mall / ECOWAS To Implement Common Currency In West Africa – Official / Onitsha The Largest Business City In Afica! How True Is This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by spyder880(m): 12:26am On Jul 28, 2012
DMGS Onitsha

Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by spyder880(m): 12:27am On Jul 28, 2012
All saints church Onitsha

Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by spyder880(m): 12:29am On Jul 28, 2012
Nigerian Stock Exchange Onitsha, couldn't go closer as my time was up.

Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by Nobody: 12:30am On Jul 28, 2012
Wow! I grew up in those places. My dad street is
Just opposite that nkpor flyover,that flyover is
taking so long, and that picture inthe second page
of theree stoley(Igbo man) grin is where I use to do
my computer lesson when jamb fu.c.k me up cry there
is an erosion beside it and they sell car on the left. I have even treck from that nkpor flyover till one girl school beside the mini stadium(I think edo girls secondary school). It's been a long time nothing much has change and those roads don't use to be good atleast coated not this muddy sand.
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by Nobody: 12:35am On Jul 28, 2012
Take picture of all saints from a good view bro
that church looks better than that. and to get a sexy
view of onitsha, take it from that bridge coming from
Asaba.
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by aribisala0(m): 12:36am On Jul 28, 2012
spyder880:

Next visit sha, but I doff my hat for the Igbo traders, them 7MUCH sha. The amount of opulent structures they build? And they all like to hide their families in safe zones like Enugu too.

Hausa traders too are not easy they are the wealthiest in Nigeria and generally not boastful
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by aribisala0(m): 12:38am On Jul 28, 2012
aribisala0:

Hausa/Fulani traders too are not easy they are the wealthiest in Nigeria and generally not boastful
They control the greatest amount of the more important markets
Stock Market
Gold
Livestock
Cotton
Agricultural products
Oil
Cement
Sugar
Foreign Exchange
In short they own Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by noiseless: 12:45am On Jul 28, 2012
There you have it then, they own nigeria, but Igbos don't claim to own nigeria or control cement and oil even the oil in their land.
aribisala0:
Stock Market
Gold
Livestock
Cotton
Agricultural products
Oil
Cement
Sugar
Foreign Exchange
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by igboboy1(m): 12:54am On Jul 28, 2012
[size=16pt]"2 brothers caught with decomposing body parts of brother in Festac"
[/size]

How do you even begin to understand this? Two brothers, Toye and Tola allegedly slaughtered their younger brother, Akunbuyi, and sold his limbs. The full report when you continue...*

http://lindaikeji..com/2012/07/2-brothers-caught-with-decomposing-body.html

The world is full of evil...
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by spyder880(m): 12:55am On Jul 28, 2012
aribisala0:
Stock Market
Gold
Livestock
Cotton
Agricultural products
Oil
Cement
Sugar
Foreign Exchange

The truth is that we are proud of the little we have, and the future looks so bright.
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by IdeaIsNeed: 1:18am On Jul 28, 2012
It's the commercial capital of the world angry
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by chic2pimp(m): 1:23am On Jul 28, 2012
afam4eva:
You have said it all. I challenge any sub-group in the whole of Africa to come out and tell me they have more harworking people than Ndi-Anambra or thaat they can boast of more millonaires than Anambra. Anambra is homw to the most educated and at the same time the most illiterate people in Igboland. Anambra is the shining light of Ala-Igbo and a state of firsts.

Having said all these things, the truth has to be said about the social and economic well being of Anambra. Onitsha, Nnewi and Awka are the three most important cities but they've all under-performed and that is because Anambra has not being able to give technocrats the opportunity to turn those places into first world cities. I see no reason why Onitsha cannot thump Lagos as the commercial center of Nigeria or even compete with world class commercial and financialcenters such as New York, LOndon and Frankfurt[b][/b]. But first let's vote for someone in the mould of Soludo.

Anambra Kwenu!!

Ndi Igbo Mmamanu!!

Delusion of the Highest Grandeur!!!

Typical Delusional Nigerian Mentality....

Not once in my entire existence have I seen more a deluded set of people.
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:10am On Jul 28, 2012
chic2pimp:

Delusion of the Highest Grandeur!!!

Typical Delusional Nigerian Mentality....

Not once in my entire existence have I seen more a deluded set of people.

^^^And why can't Onitsha better Lagos as the commercial city of Nigeria? How is Afam being deluded? If anyones deluded here it's your sorry self.

Do you know there was a time in the colonial era when oyibo was still in charge (and things were still done fairly in this country and there was no bad-belle from peeps like you scheming to pull or hold Ndigbo down), when Onitsha was growing at such a fast pace as a centre of commerce and industry, that if things had remained the way they were -or if Biafra had succeeded- it would have been the pre-eminent commercial centre in west africa....trust Igbo man.

I'll tell you about Lagos: Lagos is what it is today because of the contributions of ALL Nigerians who have been made to locate and conduct business there owing to the shenanigans and wuruwuru of the owners of Nigeria and their southern collaborators in promoting it as the only national commercial/industrial centre with the attendant infrastructural investments that came with it; Lagos is what it is today because of a large amount of our stolen commonwealth that has been laundered there in real-estate, industries and other businesses; Lagos is what it is today primarily because of oyel money..... a large part of which is got from Alaigbo (Igboland); and Lagos is what it is today because of it's former status as the federal capital territory (of course there are other reasons as well for Lagos present status, but the aforementioned cannot be ignored).

If today Ndigbo were to be in control of our own natural resources, and we didn't have slippery characters like you looking for ways to hold us down (ie- we didn't share the same country with you), give us a decade and you'll see just what we're capable of: Onitsha will be mentioned in the same breath with cities like Dubai and New York.

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by aribisala0(m): 2:12am On Jul 28, 2012
spyder880:

The truth is that we are proud of the little we have, and the future looks so bright.
that is good nothing wrong in that.There is a huge difference ,though ,from being boastful and even condescending.Self awareness entails insight into how others see you and arrogance is "Not giving a damn"(apologies to Jona).
It is seen as better in some cultures when a man has 10 and he says he has 5, having 10 and claiming 100 seems quite strange to many but to each his own
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by Dainfamous: 2:28am On Jul 28, 2012
^^
please mr man post pixs of ur northern master in Nigeria let see how their billions have transformed the region,let me give you one example!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWgFEwEjxwI

we are not here to beat our chest we are simply show casing our achievement.....if u have better things to counter my point post it seeing is believing,days of cook ups lies and deceit is over my friend.We are living in internet world were everything is possible...
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by aribisala0(m): 2:37am On Jul 28, 2012
There is no reason why Onitsha cannot overtake Lagos but there are a number of challenges.A key advantage Lagos has is population which is already established.People of all backgrounds feel quite welcome and safe in Lagos and so different groups have all contributed to making Lagos what it is. I doubt very much that "settlers" will be equally welcome in Onitsha. We hear that it is hostile even to non -indigene Igbo whether or not this is true it is widely held.

The other key advantage Lagos has is the port.All along the West African coast from Ivory coast there is easy access to the Atlantic on sandy beaches which continues to Nigeria but ends in Lagos after that our coastline in mainly swamp and mangrove.Calabar is inland as is PH. It was for this reason that the British chose Lagos as capital. It offers the cheapest coastal access to all of Nigeria and was closest to Britain by sea.Other alternatives are possible but they will involve very expensive construction.Of course some specific benefits accrued by virtue of being Federal Capital eg location of stock exchange and Money market but that was not crucial as those benefits will never accrue to Abuja and Lagos actually pays its way from the port ALONE while Abuja will alway be a consumer rather than generator of resources for the FG. Of course manufacturing is located mainly in Lagos because most inputs are imported and so it is cheaper. However those projecting greatness for Onitsha on the basis of buying and selling should think again.That is all in the past the future is about technology,innovation, ideas and brain power.Onitsha's future greatness will lie in embracing change and adapting.The Pharmaceutic industry is a key example of one that will be key in the future but this requires corporate thinking not counterfeiting mentality.Singapore is doing well in that.The other possibility is to create Onitsha brands just like the Koreans did with Samsung,Hyundai etc again this requires a shift in the sole trader mentality typical not just of Igbos but all Nigerians.The richest countries have the biggest companies and those companies are not one man shows. So if Onitsha businesses cooperate more the sky is the limit. But that seems to be hard for the black man so far.Hmm
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by aribisala0(m): 2:46am On Jul 28, 2012
There is no achievement to showcase ANYWHERE in Nigeria. I do nor see why the need to put down any own group arises here. Claiming to be less bad is not the issue it is bad all over Nigeria whether for Igbo Hausa Yoruba or others .By and large our people are quite wretched and trying to say "I better pass my neighbour(aboki)" is just risible.
I think it is better to avoid me if you cannot be civil .When you speak to your father do you talk about the Aboki his Northern master??If not don't do that with me.
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by spyder880(m): 2:50am On Jul 28, 2012
aribisala0:
that is good nothing wrong in that.There is a huge difference ,though ,from being boastful and even condescending.Self awareness entails insight into how others see you and arrogance is "Not giving a damn"(apologies to Jona).
It is seen as better in some cultures when a man has 10 and he says he has 5, having 10 and claiming 100 seems quite strange to many but to each his own

If you talk about being boastful, then you are talking of another tribe, not the Igbo man. It is only an Igbo man that will be sitting on millions and decide to go hungry (other tribes dey use am yab us back then) I was challenged into humility the day my Anambra friend thought me marketing strategies. This guy sold goods of more that a million naira and paid almost all into his account, then we went home and came back to the shop next day. This guy told be he does not eat breakfast till he sell something. See as hunger dey wire my guy and he refused to eat, hustling to sell something to somebody, till around 12 noon before he sold some goods, by then my eyes don dey red grin

If an Igbo man tells you he has 5, search him very well, HE HAS 100

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by spyder880(m): 2:52am On Jul 28, 2012
aribisala0: There is no achievement to showcase ANYWHERE in Nigeria. I do nor see why the need to put down any own group arises here. Claiming to be less bad is not the issue it is bad all over Nigeria whether for Igbo Hausa Yoruba or others .By and large our people are quite wretched and trying to say "I better pass my neighbour(aboki)" is just risible.

So because of that we should all roll over and die?
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by aribisala0(m): 2:53am On Jul 28, 2012
spyder880:

So because of that we should all roll over and die?
If you do that will be a funeral for your family.
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by spyder880(m): 2:55am On Jul 28, 2012
aribisala0: There is no reason why Onitsha cannot overtake Lagos but there are a number of challenges.A key advantage Lagos has is population which is already established.People of all backgrounds feel quite welcome and safe in Lagos and so different groups have all contributed to making Lagos what it is. I doubt very much that "settlers" will be equally welcome in Onitsha. We hear that it is hostile even to non -indigene Igbo whether or not this is true it is widely held.

The other key advantage Lagos has is the port.All along the West African coast from Ivory coast there is easy access to the Atlantic on sandy beaches which continues to Nigeria but ends in Lagos after that our coastline in mainly swamp and mangrove.Calabar is inland as is PH. It was for this reason that the British chose Lagos as capital. It offers the cheapest coastal access to all of Nigeria and was closest to Britain by sea.Other alternatives are possible but they will involve very expensive construction.Of course some specific benefits accrued by virtue of being Federal Capital eg location of stock exchange and Money market but that was not crucial as those benefits will never accrue to Abuja and Lagos actually pays its way from the port ALONE while Abuja will alway be a consumer rather than generator of resources for the FG. Of course manufacturing is located mainly in Lagos because most inputs are imported and so it is cheaper. However those projecting greatness for Onitsha on the basis of buying and selling should think again.That is all in the past the future is about technology,innovation, ideas and brain power.Onitsha's future greatness will lie in embracing change and adapting.The Pharmaceutic industry is a key example of one that will be key in the future but this requires corporate thinking not counterfeiting mentality.Singapore is doing well in that.The other possibility is to create Onitsha brands just like the Koreans did with Samsung,Hyundai etc again this requires a shift in the sole trader mentality typical not just of Igbos but all Nigerians.The richest countries have the biggest companies and those companies are not one man shows. So if Onitsha businesses cooperate more the sky is the limit. But that seems to be hard for the black man so far.Hmm

I think you have 3 good points here, but that is the catalyst for the Igbo man unquenchable spirit.
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by ACM10: 2:56am On Jul 28, 2012
aribisala0:

I can't really explain what is your headache here. This thread was not opened to massage the insecurities of your like. You might just scroll pass. No hard feeling. We owe u no apology. We are not here to rank low on your arrogance scale. Neither can we change our ways to please u. Only u understands what u mean by boastful or condescending. You witnessed some of us who are Anambra natives taunting him for not doing enough job to expose the unsightly sides of Onitsha. I even went far to post some debasing photos of my state. Can u do that? Unlike your people that will do everything possible to to hide their shortcomings. Really, I don't know what you are doing on this thread. Your comments here cannot demote the status of Onitsha in Nigeria and West Africa. So you can go on with your subliminal dig at Igbos. We just don't give a sh!it about your personal opinion. Cos it's inconsequential.

3 Likes

Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by spyder880(m): 2:58am On Jul 28, 2012
aribisala0:
If you do that will be a funeral for your family.

If I die, nothing will change. Others will still live, what I was saying back there is that we are not supposed to fold up and think "Nigeria has nothing to show" so we all will go to sleep and allow things to remain like this forever, I don't think that was the way other developed countries emerged.

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by Dainfamous: 3:12am On Jul 28, 2012
i tireooo,u show pixs of ur region they go sayy man dey boast so how does tourist countries promote their place undecided undecided :- or should they sit and wait for outsiders to come and see for themselves?shallow mind is not good at all...

1 Like

Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by aribisala0(m): 3:15am On Jul 28, 2012
spyder880:

If I die, nothing will change. Others will still live, what I was saying back there is that we are not supposed to fold up and think "Nigeria has nothing to show" so we all will go to sleep and allow things to remain like this forever, I don't think that was the way other developed countries emerged.
so far what you have posted is cringe worthy and nothing to celebrate
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by aribisala0(m): 3:19am On Jul 28, 2012
ACM10:

I can't really explain what is your headache here. This thread was not opened to massage the insecurities of your like. You might just scroll pass. No hard feeling. We owe u no apology. We are not here to rank low on your arrogance scale. Neither can we change our ways to please u. Only u understands what u mean by boastful or condescending. You witnessed some of us who are Anambra natives taunting him for not doing enough job to expose the unsightly sides of Onitsha. I even went far to post some debasing photos of my state. Can u do that? Unlike your people that will do everything possible to to hide their shortcomings. Really, I don't know what you are doing on this thread. Your comments here cannot demote the status of Onitsha in Nigeria and West Africa. So you can go on with your subliminal dig at Igbos. We just don't give a sh!it about your personal opinion. Cos it's inconsequential.
I have no headache maybe you do.There is no possibility of any profitable exchange between you and I so if you ignore me I promise to reciprocate.
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by aribisala0(m): 3:30am On Jul 28, 2012
spyder880:

I think you have 3 good points here, but that is the catalyst for the Igbo man unquenchable spirit.
i believe there is only one Spirit which abideth in all men and is unquenchable in all.There are few if any great cities anywhere that have prospered on the work of only a single race,no one knows everything. I wonder whether your vision for Onitsha includes any other groups grin
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by odumchi: 3:43am On Jul 28, 2012
Unu biko gba nwoke mu a nkiti. Ihe ya bu mmebi oge.

Spyder, nwanna m, para jewa. Gosiwa anyi Onicha.
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by aribisala0(m): 3:54am On Jul 28, 2012
spyder880:

If you talk about being boastful, then you are talking of another tribe, not the Igbo man. It is only an [b]Igbo man that will be sitting on millions [/b]and decide to go hungry (other tribes dey use am yab us back then) I was challenged into humility the day my Anambra friend thought me marketing strategies. This guy sold goods of more that a million naira and paid almost all into his account, then we went home and came back to the shop next day. This guy told be he does not eat breakfast till he sell something. See as hunger dey wire my guy and he refused to eat, hustling to sell something to somebody, till around 12 noon before he sold some goods, by then my eyes don dey red grin

If an Igbo man tells you he has 5, search him very well, HE HAS 100
You see that is always a problem.I am talking about posters on this thread who happen to be Igbo(as you now inform me) quite a different notion from "The Igbo man". Did I at any point reference ethnic origin. It is quite common that some Igbo men see a disagreement or perceived attack on them as an attack on "The Igbo man" a rather unfortunate mentality, recently demonstrated by Govs Peter Obi and T.Orji. I accuse some posters here of being boastful and I stand by that. Claims have been made which I challenged asking for evidence and somehow we are now at the predictable "You hate Igbos" phase of the debate.If you come to a Nigerian forum and make claims then non -Igbos may or may not agree with you and you must accept diagreement with grace,It is churlish to start this you hate Igbo routine. You claim Onitsha market is the biggest in heaven and earth and fail to back it up. I will alway challenge such nonsense and will never blackmailed by the "you hate Igbo whinge" , it is rather hackneyed now.If you want to express foolishness unopposed create a website or put a paid advert in a newspaper!!
Regarding your claim of self-denial /hunger where is your evidence for this ?This is another empty boast is this true for ALL Igbos?? What about Ijebus? Guy stop all these stupid generalizations they are irritating. HAVE YOU STUDIED THE EATING BEHAVIOUR OF FULANI NOMADS OR URHOBO TRADERS

One thing I find puzzling is I have only encountered such rubbish from Igbo people online and never in person even though I deal with more Igbos than any other Nigerian group
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by MMM2(m): 4:03am On Jul 28, 2012
I think is aba
Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by Ndata(m): 4:30am On Jul 28, 2012
My alma mata.D.M.G.S Onitsha.The oldest secondary school in Igboland.A school that has produce many illustrious sons of Igbo nation.Dengramite for life.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha, The Commercial Capital Of West Africa by Ndata(m): 4:35am On Jul 28, 2012
@aribisalao
However those projecting greatness for Onitsha on the basis of buying and selling should think again.
The same buying and selling that has made Dubai the world center of commerce.My friend i can perceive bitterness from all your rantings in this thread.Typical pull them down attitude of Nigerians against anything Igbo.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Meet The Female Banks CEOs In Nigeria / Abuja Chinese Supermarket Shuts Doors / Woman Shows Off Her Savings From January To December (Photos,Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.