Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,505 members, 7,819,831 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:57 AM

Why Do Women Always Want To "Marry Up"? - Romance (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Do Women Always Want To "Marry Up"? (11037 Views)

Why Do Women Always Return To Guys They Once Rejected. / 9ja Women Always Faking! / Why Do Black Women Always Have Attitude Towards Guys Dating White Females? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Women Always Want To "Marry Up"? by ogrebuga(m): 8:39pm On Dec 14, 2007
mehn, you guys are cracking me up o! All over this simple issue, if it was natural for a lady to want to marry someone less succesful than her, then why are we here having this conversation As a man, it's in-built into you to want to provide for your family, at least most normal men anyways, But then again if you're both earning so much (e.g. beyonce and Jay), what does it matter who's pay cheque is larger
Re: Why Do Women Always Want To "Marry Up"? by EmekaNaija(m): 9:00pm On Dec 14, 2007
Thanks for the correction.
@Nwando

You are indeed above the average Nigerian pettiness. Some others would have seen the correction as "insultive" or "belittling". May you "marry up" (to the highest you ever dreamed of), if you aren't already.
Take care, Nwanne mmadu.
Re: Why Do Women Always Want To "Marry Up"? by Dalby(m): 11:08pm On Dec 14, 2007
uchetobi:

who cares about marrying up or down, money is not a criteria for me to date a guy or marry him because i have mine, as long as he has no complex about it we'l prolly get along

99 out off a hundred, it never works out. It probably is not intentional on either parties. Have u tried to imagine how the physically challenged feel amidst the smiles, sometimes it gets that bad for this kind of man embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Why Do Women Always Want To "Marry Up"? by choco4life(m): 2:34am On Dec 15, 2007
Na who one suffer?

Common gurls marry up,up and up.
And to my Guys, stop hating and go find something to do
so u cud go up the ladder.
Re: Why Do Women Always Want To "Marry Up"? by aloib(f): 4:19am On Dec 15, 2007
hey omoge, never knew yu were an ib babe, infact maybe i knew u sef, i was in command odgbo, lol, geez i just read a thread wer yu mentioned going to army day, thats wassup
Re: Why Do Women Always Want To "Marry Up"? by Jezzy(f): 8:10am On Dec 15, 2007
@Nwando,I enjoyed reading your take on this matter.

Marrying up from the little online search I did seems to refer to marrying someone better than one is-whether the better is in finances,assets,education.The most emphasis is on finances though.

So do women want to marry up because they don't feel like they're making enough money or is it just a status symbol thing?Whether marrying up or down,a woman should never marry a man that can't provide for her and their kids.Though women are working more and are in some instances making more money than their male counterparts or available suitors,a man should and must be able to provide for her regardless.That's what being the head is all about grin.
Re: Why Do Women Always Want To "Marry Up"? by lilian(f): 8:32am On Dec 15, 2007
I will like to marry a better person that has money more than my family oooooooo
Re: Why Do Women Always Want To "Marry Up"? by oziomatv(m): 3:39pm On Dec 15, 2007
before I start , EKELE KELERE M NWANDO NWANNAA.
@ TOPIC,
Women are inteligient in terms of marriage they don't like to choose just because they want something to fill the whole like men do in making choice.
women marrying up is like having mike tyson as a bodyguide.
Re: Why Do Women Always Want To "Marry Up"? by Elishacom(m): 3:46pm On Dec 15, 2007
aloib:

hey omoge, never knew yu were an ib babe, infact maybe i knew u sef, i was in command odgbo, lol, geez i just read a thread wer yu mentioned going to army day, thats wassup

Sweet babe i wanna know you, dont mind marrying you up wassup? grin
Re: Why Do Women Always Want To "Marry Up"? by moondust(m): 4:48pm On Dec 15, 2007
cos they can't "marry down", i guess
Re: Why Do Women Always Want To "Marry Up"? by omoge(f): 8:11pm On Dec 15, 2007
aloib:

wink soja for life grin
Re: Why Do Women Always Want To "Marry Up"? by oge4real(f): 9:34pm On Dec 15, 2007
Marrying up as you may put it is actually Biblical: better is the end of a thing than the beginning thereof. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Why Do Women Always Want To "Marry Up"? by Ebaby2: 2:39am On Dec 16, 2007
Who want to marry down before, eya those poor guys don stuffer oh, Chie no one want to marry down, na wa oooooo

As 4 me, I will marry up because marry down isn't acceptable in my family cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Do Women Always Want To "Marry Up"? by Nobody: 2:46am On Dec 16, 2007
E-baby:

Who want to marry down before, eya those poor guys don stuffer oh, Chie no one want to marry down, na wa oooooo

As 4 me, I will marry up because marry down isn't acceptable in my family cheesy cheesy cheesy

lol. . true true. which parent would want their daughter to bring home a carpenter or a baber or even a gutter cleaner?
Re: Why Do Women Always Want To "Marry Up"? by PTH(m): 2:47am On Dec 16, 2007
E-baby:

cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Why Do Women Always Want To "Marry Up"? by Nobody: 2:50am On Dec 16, 2007
Jezzy:

@Nwando,I enjoyed reading your take on this matter. Marrying up from the little online search I did seems to refer to marrying someone better than one is-whether the better is in finances,assets,education.The most emphasis is on finances though.

So do women want to marry up because they don't feel like they're making enough money or is it just a status symbol thing?Whether marrying up or down,a woman should never marry a man that can't provide for her and their kids.Though women are working more and are in some instances making more money than their male counterparts or available suitors,a man should and must be able to provide for her regardless.That's what being the head is all about grin.

Thanks my dear.
It is not greed to want to marry a man that can provide.
It's only natural

oziomatv:

before I start , EKELE KELERE M NWANDO NWANNAA.
@ TOPIC,
Women are inteligient in terms of marriage they don't like to choose just because they want something to fill the whole like men do in making choice.
women marrying up is like having mike tyson as a bodyguide.

Ozioma my dear,God bless.
Love should not be blind.

EmekaNaija:

@Nwando

You are indeed above the average Nigerian pettiness. Some others would have seen the correction as "insultive" or "belittling". May you "marry up" (to the highest you ever dreamed of), if you aren't already.
Take care, Nwanne mmadu.

Thanks.
And yes I married up because me sef,I am up and I'm not ashamed to say it.
I would do it over again.
Re: Why Do Women Always Want To "Marry Up"? by Ebaby2: 2:52am On Dec 16, 2007
toyinrayo:

lol. . true true. which parent would want their daughter to bring home a carpenter or a baber or even a gutter cleaner?
lmfao cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy abi my sister cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

PTH:

cheesy grin cheesy
grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Women Always Want To "Marry Up"? by MrInfo1(m): 2:56am On Dec 16, 2007
Who dey where wink
Re: Why Do Women Always Want To "Marry Up"? by Iman3(m): 3:01am On Dec 16, 2007
Women want to "marry up",but also men want to "marry down".Very few men will want to marry a woman who has higher income than them.
Re: Why Do Women Always Want To "Marry Up"? by Nobody: 3:08am On Dec 16, 2007
I-man:

Women want to "marry up",but also men want to "marry down".Very few men will want to marry a woman who has higher income than them.

In my Church in Enugu,a big Pentecostal Church,our pastor looked an engaged brother (who was a carpenter living in one room) in the face and advised him that the chick he was about to marry was not in his league.The lady had a car,a great job and lived in a big house.
He told him the marriage would not work because it was not designed to work.
Thank God he listened.
Re: Why Do Women Always Want To "Marry Up"? by Nobody: 3:14am On Dec 16, 2007
I am pretty ambitious and I have a desire to get wealth but I do not desire to personally make more money than my husband,ever
I would always want him to be the main provider for the family.
I believe that will make him see himself as the head of the family which he is.

It just looks wierd to see men running errands and babysitting while their wives work double shifts because they make more.
I'm sure those men don't feel good about the situation.
Sitting at home watching "Judge Judy" and "oprah"
These men can only make noise in Nigeria because amongst their contemporaries here people know who brings home the money.

I know there are temporary setbacks and roles are reversed but every one should pray it's only temporary.
Re: Why Do Women Always Want To "Marry Up"? by bjibola: 7:15am On Dec 16, 2007
Guess we fill each other's needs. With all the talk, how many guys really want to marry up. What guy wants a woman with more money than him and will lord it over him(Your Ego wont take that, even if u scream u want it). Truth Guys! We just rub your ego. You don't want to marry up, we don't want to marry down. EOD grin
Re: Why Do Women Always Want To "Marry Up"? by SignorZax: 12:49pm On Dec 16, 2007
mARRY uP? maRRY doWN?

marRY lefT? marrY righT?

marry centre?

ABEG Joo, AL MARRY NA MARRY.
Re: Why Do Women Always Want To "Marry Up"? by ono(m): 4:11pm On Dec 16, 2007
Interesting topic. And BabyOsisi aka Nwando, I hope all your entries will encourage the ''lazy'' ones among us to wake up.

But folks, I have a case in hand where a ''brother'' dated a girl of his dreams while he earned more than this girl. At the time, he was earning just above 100k per month, while the girl had just finished serving (NYSC) and was in the job market. The babe sure agreed to marry my guy, and they were living fine. The girl later got a job with pay almost 3 times that of my brother friend - in thesame company my brother friend is working, after just a couple of months - she sure had the talents, excellent grade from his school in an engineering program. She's damned pretty too. Everyone would like to have her.

Her great job not withstanding, they went ahead and got married. After some time, my brother friend came back to me for advice. He's having a rough time in there with the chick. At the slightest provocation, the girl tells him, he's supposed to know that she's the one taking care of the home and all that thrash - you know how women behaves with their mouth. He isn't planning a divorce, he just wants his marriage to work. At the moment, his wife still earns more than himself, albeit, the gap isn't as wide as before - just a couple of thousands - according to him.

How do I advise my brother friend to make his marriage of 2 years work?
Re: Why Do Women Always Want To "Marry Up"? by PTH(m): 4:47pm On Dec 16, 2007
ono:

How do I advise my brother friend to make his marriage of 2 years work?

patience and hardwork. Sister will soon climb out of her home in the clouds.
Re: Why Do Women Always Want To "Marry Up"? by oziomatv(m): 5:43pm On Dec 16, 2007
I am pretty ambitious and I have a desire to get wealth but I do not desire to personally make more money than my husband,ever
I would always want him to be the main provider for the family.
I believe that will make him see himself as the head of the family which he is.

It just looks wierd to see men running errands and babysitting while their wives work double shifts because they make more.
I'm sure those men don't feel good about the situation.
Sitting at home watching "Judge Judy" and "oprah"
These men can only make noise in Nigeria because amongst their contemporaries here people know who brings home the money.

I know there are temporary setbacks and roles are reversed but every one should pray it's only temporary
Bia Nwando I thought you're a man, ever since I've been refering you as a man never knew you're a woman.
Re: Why Do Women Always Want To "Marry Up"? by FemiATL: 6:00pm On Dec 16, 2007
Bia Nwando I thought you're a man, ever since I've been refering you as a man never knew you're a woman.

Oops------same here-----lol
Re: Why Do Women Always Want To "Marry Up"? by oziomatv(m): 6:07pm On Dec 16, 2007
men make una hustle well cause women nowadays expecially nigerian ladies no money no love.
If ladies change their mind to marry down men will be asking for permition  a week in advance to make love.
  exept you no dey interested for that side.
Re: Why Do Women Always Want To "Marry Up"? by oziomatv(m): 6:10pm On Dec 16, 2007
Oops------same here-----lol
hello
Re: Why Do Women Always Want To "Marry Up"? by omoge(f): 8:17pm On Dec 16, 2007
em Ono,

So how do women behaves with their mouth? undecided
Re: Why Do Women Always Want To "Marry Up"? by omoge(f): 8:19pm On Dec 16, 2007
he should look for another job with higher pay  grin
the bacon should be fat  cheesy

sister Nwando, make i borrow your word (bacon) bo wink.
Re: Why Do Women Always Want To "Marry Up"? by azucar(f): 9:12pm On Dec 16, 2007
why not marry up; maybe some of the men out there can use the situation as motivation. hey; the Sky's the limit.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

When I Thought I've It Seen All (guys Things Dey Happen O) / No Money, No Good Wife In Nigeria? / The Number One Thing No Girl Can Resist In A Guy. Hint: It’s Not Money.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.