Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,885 members, 7,810,402 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:21 AM

Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? (11481 Views)

Poll: Chief MKO Abiola would have been a good president:

Yes: 45% (65 votes)
No: 54% (78 votes)
This poll has ended

MKO Abiola International Airport Will Be Ready Next Year- Osun Government / Mubashiru Abiola Is Dead (MKO Abiola's Younger Brother) / Can Osinbajo Be A Good President? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by babaana: 10:12pm On Jan 06, 2008
can anyone point one successful business mko had and still functioning today. it shows what sort of president he would had been.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by bibiking1(m): 10:31pm On Jan 06, 2008
baba ana:

can anyone point one successful business mko had and still functioning today. it shows what sort of president he would had been.

hardly can you find any nigerian business that has had very smooth succession from one generation to the other
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 10:32pm On Jan 06, 2008
Dantata
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Bankole01(m): 11:16pm On Jan 06, 2008
baba ana:

That is the result of the man's lack of self control. He laid a time bomb for his offsprings, which has laid them to waste and which will continue to resonate for some time in the future!!!!!!!!!!!!
And this is the man some wanted to lead the nation?
Y'all better start thanking your lucky stars. Nigeria would have disintegrated under him or as his legacy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Teriba(m): 11:19pm On Jan 06, 2008
I have no doubt in my mind that MKO Abiola would not have made a good president. Absolutely no doubt about that! But there is more to this issue than a-single-sentence answer.
The first thing I want to emphasize is the fact that a businessman is not the same thing as a Reverend Father-it seems some of us are confusing the two. The bottom-line of a businessman is profit maximization. Whoever expects a businessman to be a paragon of morality must be kidding. So all the arguments about how criminal Abiola was hold no water. I think those advancing this argument should tell us their favourite millionaire in Nigeria, especially the one that was/is not a criminal.
The second point has already been mentioned by some fellow Nairalanders, but still worthy of mention nonetheless. One thing that I`m happy about is the way MKO Abiola died. Who else can we describe as the Father of Democracy in Nigeria- if not Abiola ? This is one feat no other person had been able to achieve before now. And this is one status that neither Awo nor Zik could lay claim to. I like that!
The moment that this man decided to contest a presidential election, a presidential election that the world described as free and fair, his past should become irrelevant. This is the side I find most unfortunate; the fact that the man that was poisoned for his mandate did not arouse our moral conscience.This says alot about us as individuals. If one is looking for a true criminal in the world today, Italy`s Berlusconi would be up there among them. Yet Italians embraced him having won their general election. But the evil mind of the black man would not make it possible for him to differentiate between the business interests of a man and his political ambitions. Very soon most of us that have been commenting here would go and start another thread on how to achieve democracy in Nigeria. The truth is that we deserve no democracy . What makes this thread more shocking is the calibre of people that have been expressing their thoughts here. I`m truly Perplexed!
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by omofineboy(m): 11:29pm On Jan 06, 2008
Bank Habib Bank which later merged with Platinum Bank was owned by MKO and Late Yaradua and still have Kola Abiola as the chairman of Board.

Majority of us here just talked. I advise that some of us should go and read his biography before we talk. It is very bad and ignoble to call a MKO a criminal, it will be good if we are a bit courteous and careful too.How many Nigerian billionaires living or dead made their money without the military boys? or better still without the oil money I doubt if we can find one. Why don't you let us concentrate on the living and leave the dead alone. To me the fact that we still write lots on MKO today speaks volume about him. As for me and many who knew MKO's contributions to education and sports will live to thank him. He alone donated to all Nigerian higher Institutions in 1991 sum of 1m each, I doubt if any billionaire had done such since then. NO Nigerian students as at that time would say he/she didnt benefit from that largesse. In some schools the money was used to equip library and Health Centers.

In academics I doubt if most of us castigating him could march his rare intelligence. Besides some of us who aleged that he stole money can u prove your allegations. Obasanjo is alive today he did nothing to alleviate the sufferings of the masses despite the fact that he stole billions some of us blaming MKO are stunt supporter cum defender of OBJ, What a tragedy.

Anyway I advise that we leave the dead alone and if anyone of us has proof as to fraudulent activities of MKO please forward your petition to EFCC.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by TheSly: 11:40pm On Jan 06, 2008
Post!

I dont think so!. . . cool
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Bankole01(m): 11:43pm On Jan 06, 2008
omofineboy:

Bank Habib Bank which later merged with Platinum Bank was owned by MKO and Late Yaradua and still have Kola Abiola as the chairman of Board.

Majority of us here just talked. I advise that some of us should go and read his biography before we talk. It is very bad and ignoble to call a MKO a criminal, it will be good if we are a bit courteous and careful too.How many Nigerian billionaires living or dead made their money without the military boys? or better still without the oil money I doubt if we can find one. Why don't you let us concentrate on the living and leave the dead alone. To me the fact that we still write lots on MKO today speaks volume about him. As for me and many who knew MKO's contributions to education and sports will live to thank him. He alone donated to all Nigerian higher Institutions in 1991 sum of 1m each, I doubt if any billionaire had done such since then. NO Nigerian students as at that time would say he/she didnt benefit from that largesse. In some schools the money was used to equip library and Health Centers.

In academics I doubt if most of us castigating him could march his rare intelligence. Besides some of us who aleged that he stole money can u prove your allegations. Obasanjo is alive today he did nothing to alleviate the sufferings of the masses despite the fact that he stole billions some of us blaming MKO are stunt supporter come defender of OBJ, What a tragedy.

Anyway I advise that we leave the dead alone and if anyone of us has proof as to fraudulent activities of MKO please forward your petition to EFCC.

clap! clap! clap! good defense job.
Dead or alive a thieve is still guilty!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Kobojunkie: 11:47pm On Jan 06, 2008
omofineboy:

In academics I doubt if most of us castigating him could march his rare intelligence. Besides some of us who aleged that he stole money can u prove your allegations. Obasanjo is alive today he did nothing to alleviate the sufferings of the masses despite the fact that he stole billions some of us blaming MKO are stunt supporter come defender of OBJ, What a tragedy.

Your first statement there already shows you do not know the man well. Abiola did not need to wear khaki to make his money. He infact made a lot of friends in the Khaki gang. He wined and dined his way into getting funding for his ITT project which was never implemented.

In College, Abiola was not top of his class infact his biography paints him more as a man from a poor background who could not make it through school but was able to build his empire up from nothing. Please stop making up things to claim you know him. The fact that we still write about him today only says that we still write about him today and nothing more. Accepting stories WE HEAR blindly is not enough. Please research persons before you make idols of them.  I am not in Nigeria to get you information on the man but here is an article online that can give you a better picture of who this was as well. http://nigeriaworld.com/feature/publication/oduyela/092004.html

On the 1993 Election Annulment issue, MKO was IBB's back man until IBB decided to annul the election. Many people were sick of IBB and wanted anything else but IBB and Abiola happened to be the devil that we know vs the angels we did not know well at that time. I am not 100% on IBB's reason for the annulment myself but I do remember well and many Nigerians will remember that Abiola did not run on an anti-IBB ticket but as a friend of IBBm situation between the two went sour after the annulment.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by omofineboy(m): 11:49pm On Jan 06, 2008
which court found him guilty?
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by omofineboy(m): 11:51pm On Jan 06, 2008
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Kobojunkie: 11:57pm On Jan 06, 2008
omofineboy:

Aaarrrgghhhh good one. Which court found IBB guilty . Heck, let us deal with Nigerian justice that way. If No court found em guilty, even when there are documents upon documents showing that they did steal away money, they are innocent, huh LMAO!!! You have got to be kidding me!!!
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by omofineboy(m): 12:03am On Jan 07, 2008
May be u dont know, Abiola made a first in his class at University of Glasgow check this fact. My friend, you and no one else confuse yourself check what you wrote earlier and what you just wrote now and the subject matter. Name Three top Civilian Millionaires who made money without the military boys? may be you are too far away to know the happenings here. Anyway you are entitled to your opinion. why dont you read article in print and not online. Its bad to castigate the dead.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by AbidemiAy(m): 12:11am On Jan 07, 2008
only Baba God knows
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Kobojunkie: 12:32am On Jan 07, 2008
omofineboy:

May be u don't know, Abiola made a first in his class at University of Glasgow check this fact. My friend, you and no one else confuse yourself check what you wrote earlier and what you just wrote now and the subject matter. Name Three top Civilian Millionaires who made money without the military boys? may be you are too far away to know the happenings here. Anyway you are entitled to your opinion. why don't you read article in print and not online. Its bad to castigate the dead.

1) Fact: Abiola graduated from University of Glasglow. This is mentioned in his biography. The first degree part I have no knowledge of and would appreciate it if you could provide us with information as to how you came to add that.
Fact: It is possible to study at glasgow and struggle through it all.

2) Fact: ITT was Abiola's big break. He rode the Millitary ride to get the money he wanted through ITT. There are tons of documents in Nigeria for those who really want to learn of what happened with ITT and why it was a disaster and why it affects Nigeria to this day. I could get you books but I do not have access to data here. I do provide you links down here for your convenience. Now you can always come back with the Nigerian conspiracy argument that EB and Oxford press and all the others are against MKO but dude, e no go fly, LMAO!!

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1O46-AbiolaMoshoodKashimawolwl.html

http://www.answers.com/topic/moshood-abiola

http://www.bookrags.com/Moshood_Kashimawo_Olawale_Abiola

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/inatl/longterm/nigeria/stories/abioladeath070898.htm

http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9123780/Abiola-Moshood-Kashimawo-Olawale
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Iman3(m): 1:40am On Jan 07, 2008
The claims that Abiola,formerly an ITT VP,was involved in financing coups is interesting when you recall that ITT has similarly been accused of financing coups in Chile-http://www.zmag.org/ZMag/articles/USA-Chile.htm There were accusations that it was acting as a CIA front.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Kobojunkie: 2:05am On Jan 07, 2008

In 1969, he became the comptroller of International Telephone and Telegraph (ITT), Nigeria, Ltd., and rapidly rose to become vice president for ITT's Africa and Middle East branch. He was also chairman and chief executive officer of ITT Nigeria, Ltd. from 1972 through 1988.

Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Globaltech: 4:33am On Jan 07, 2008
Noetic, Kobojunkie,Jakumo,Teriba & Omofineboy  I strongly agree with you .Abiola might be a BAD guy before sadsad but I believe the man repented.
Abiola was good @ giving and so on. I remmember when I was in college  my lecturer was telling us About a gentle man that went to him and asked him  for money and also to become the chairman of a company he was about to float,  to cut a short story short  Abiola told him that he was tired of the chairman thing and asked him for what he wanted ,he gave the man money to start the company the  man couldn't believe him when he called back again that the company is on and that he is expecting Abiola to chair the company, the man told him that he gave him the money for the business. I was lucky to be one of those that worked in the company. that company was great then , and I want to believe that the coy is still kicking fine we are always at per with A national insurance company when it comes to big businesses.Lastly, some years ago (8years to be precise) I went to  Chase (JP Morgan )for carrier opportunity,   when they saw my resume (I guess) one of the[b] Top [/b] Guns of the bank came out to see me(White American ).(interview turns tete -a -tetes)He said a lot about this man that I can not share here but the bottom line of what he said was that we wasted their chairman that they soooo much cherished  him and that Nigerians do not know his importance .that day I was on top of the world as a Nigerian cool smiley @ the same time angry for the man was wasted I pray that Nigeria can have such opportunity again.EITHER WE LIKE IT OR NOT THAT MAN MADE ME TO KNOW THAT WE LOST A RARE GEM IN THE HISTORY OF AFRICA NOT IN NIGERIA ALONE .Even Black  Americans knew him.He was the one in charge of reparation.YES I believe he would have tried for Nigeria as president and even the rest of Africa.HIS WEALTH WAS WORKING FOR HIM BOTH HOME AND ABROAD.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by candies(f): 7:49am On Jan 07, 2008
I was too young at the time of MKO to know exactly what was up and I am not a politically inclined person, but from what I've read about him, I think he would have a made a good president. He had a human heart and was down to earth. He was popular even among the masses and since it was democracy, it would have been best to let us see what he had to offer the public who so publicly supported him.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by charles316: 9:38am On Jan 07, 2008
how can a yoruba man make a good president.

cowards
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Omolulu(m): 9:55am On Jan 07, 2008
charles316:

how can a yoruba man make a good president.

cowards

your ancenstors must be nuts, go and kiss the national grid if you have a problem with a yoruba being presidents
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by mmb(m): 4:39pm On Jan 07, 2008
some nigerians are very bad and have totally lost hope in their nation building. you are part of the society, contribute your own quoata and dont curse someone who has died.Abiola was on the verge to declare that africa was cheated by the europeans. MAY HIS SOUL REST IN PERFECT PEACE.AMEEEN
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Kobojunkie: 4:45pm On Jan 07, 2008
mmb:

some nigerians are very bad and have totally lost hope in their nation building. you are part of the society, contribute your own quoata and don't curse someone who has died.Abiola was on the verge to declare that africa was cheated by the europeans. MAY HIS SOUL REST IN PERFECT PEACE.AMEEEN

On the verge?? LMAO!!!! You mean we had not all figured that part out on our own? Why are you afraid of the dead?? No one has so far cursed him. He actually cursed his own self by his own actions while he was alive. I do not see why anyone should treat him differently than we treat people like anini who is also dead. I am not superstitious anyway so dead or alive, you reap what you sow.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by bawomol(m): 5:54pm On Jan 07, 2008
hardly can you find any nigerian business that has had very smooth succession from one generation to the other

the transition doesn't help when u don't choose a heir, update ur will and have a billion real and imaginary children competiting for ur wealth. if abiola was so disorganized raising his family, how are we sure he would done a good being the head of the nigerian government.

he was all talk and little action.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by bawomol(m): 5:55pm On Jan 07, 2008
some nigerians are very bad and have totally lost hope in their nation building. you are part of the society, contribute your own quoata and don't curse someone who has died.Abiola was on the verge to declare that africa was cheated by the europeans. MAY HIS SOUL REST IN PERFECT PEACE.AMEEEN

lol@on the verge,i guess abiola is a philospher now. maybe we sould place him alone socrates.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by bolulawal(m): 8:35pm On Jan 07, 2008
well, i think there's really no point in this discussion. the man is dead. DEAD! our debating whether he would've been a good president is really irrelevant. it doesn't matter. now, i'm sure a million and 1 people out there will have my head for thinking this way, but i believe since abiola's presidency never saw the light of day, its pointless debating it, and hey, don't worry, i haven't been paid by babangida or abacha!
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by nanee: 8:45pm On Jan 07, 2008
HI
I'VE BEEN SELECTED FOR THE TELEPHONE INTERVIEW WITH "CISCO"
CAN ANYBODY TELL ME WHAT TYPE OF QUESTIONS CAN I EXPECT?

PLEASE HELP ME

THANKS AND REGARDS
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by bawomol(m): 9:55pm On Jan 07, 2008
you have to correct mistakes made in ur history to move forward. it makes no sense to forget about the actions of abiola just because he is dead.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Nobody: 10:11pm On Jan 07, 2008
Isn't this the same Abiola that vowed to eradicate Christianity from Nigeria and dip the Koran into the Atlantic ?
Well God heard him.
May soul rest if he deserved it
@ the poster,we can't answer the question,the man is now in the "mysterious beyond"
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by SweetT1: 10:37pm On Jan 07, 2008
Even though i love Chief Abiola he would have created a lot of opportunities but he would also be dictatorial. Plus he has a rough temper.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Ndipe(m): 1:13am On Jan 08, 2008
I read in one paper that during his imprisonment, Abiola affirmed the Messiaship of Jesus Christ. It was unbelievable, but I did read it.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Aleksys: 1:43am On Jan 08, 2008
Whatever we say about Abiola's unrealized presidency will remain hypothetical. We have seen demon turned around to become saint. Labelling Abiola a criminal is nothing short of libel. This guy was never tried or convicted in any known court of the land. He was never indicted by any tribunal, why then should we villified the dead who is not in a position to defend himself. He may be a fool, a nimcompoop or even worse still an armed robber, as long as he was allowed to contest the election and he was voted for by millions to emerge the winner, it is more criminal to deny him of his mandate. You cannot indict a person based on intent. We have all lost that opportunity to witness the result of Abiola's presumed failed presidency in embryo. Nothing and nobody is at the receiving end of our outrage and unfortunately that chance will never come, no not in this life. may be hereafter.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

A Nairalander At Ongoing Apc Ward 4 Rally, Benin City / President Buhari Meets With APC Stakeholders At The State House (Photos) / Keyamo, An Embarrassment To The Legal Profession - Atiku Campaign

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.