Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,945 members, 7,810,617 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:09 PM

Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? (11482 Views)

Poll: Chief MKO Abiola would have been a good president:

Yes: 45% (65 votes)
No: 54% (78 votes)
This poll has ended

MKO Abiola International Airport Will Be Ready Next Year- Osun Government / Mubashiru Abiola Is Dead (MKO Abiola's Younger Brother) / Can Osinbajo Be A Good President? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by deb(m): 3:20pm On Jun 15, 2009
If the man was that bad, why did you vote him. I'm sure 90% of people on this thread
who were eligible to vote then in 1993 voted him.
Nigerians will always be award winners in criticism
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Fhemmmy: 3:23pm On Jun 15, 2009
It is hard to assume on what was never allowed to be.
Abiola has his own faults and there were some of his actions that scares me of his intentions.
Abiola will throw money in the air anyhow for people, and i think that is an abuse of the national currency.
Abiola is morally corrupt and such leaders will run us down cos of back side of a nice chick.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by deb(m): 3:25pm On Jun 15, 2009
Fhemmy, did you vote him or not?
Let me guess. u will say a NO
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Fhemmmy: 3:30pm On Jun 15, 2009
I wasnt in Nigeria during the election and if i was, i probably would have not voted for him.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by deb(m): 3:50pm On Jun 15, 2009
You response is a reflection of what a lot of people on this thread would have done.
So, I ask why castigate the dead hero that won the freest and fairest election ever to be
conducted in the history of the Nigerian nation.

He would have been the best thing that ever happened to us. God gave us that chance and we
missed it.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Fhemmmy: 3:53pm On Jun 15, 2009
deb:

You response is a reflection of what a lot of people on this thread would have done.
So, I ask why castigate the dead hero that won the freest and fairest election ever to be
conducted in the history of the Nigerian nation.

He would have been the best thing that ever happened to us. God gave us that chance and we
missed it.

I will like to know where you draw your conclusion from, that he would have been the best president Nigeria ever had.
I probably would have annulled the election too, cos neither of the 2 candidate has what it takes to run the nation.
there was no doubt about it that Abiola is a great biz man and i give him kudo for that, but as for him running Nigeria right, i so much doubt it.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by deb(m): 4:11pm On Jun 15, 2009
Its so amazing how we could prefer people who have not managed anything of their own successfully to be
president ahead of those who have proven to be very successful in their private businesses
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Fhemmmy: 4:15pm On Jun 15, 2009
If being successful in biz would translate to being a great president, then, i guess Bill gate needs to get ready to contest in 2011 for american presidency.
There is a place for every kinda leadership my guy, and like i said, Abiola is a great biz man, but i dont think he has what it takes to run Nigeria, he is a fraud too.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by deb(m): 4:29pm On Jun 15, 2009
Abiola had all the money, he did not have to come and embezzle our money.
He just wanted to transform Nigeria and we all believed in him that was why we voted him.
Now the guy is dead, a lot of hypocritical words are now being thrown around.
Fear God Nigerians

He was a hero who died for what he believed in.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Lagosboy: 4:52pm On Jun 15, 2009
MKO the legend !!! The president that never was!!! The lion of Gbagura with a heart full of kindness!!!

He is the 2nd greatest  Nigerian I ever met in my opinion. A man of intelligence in its highest form , with a memory of a computer hard drive. He was a great man indeed, his brain will have transfromed Nigeria with a high degree of professionalism.

No doubt he romanced with the army but can anyone tell any polotician of that generation that never did. The army were in power and no businessman will not be close to the pwers that be. I am not talking of the origin of his wealth as that is a different story.

The is No Nigerian and this is a fact no Nigerian living today that touched the lives of many how MKO did. There is no wealthy Nigerian today that attempted or attempt to spread wealth like MKO. In his words he said he wants to spread wealth like manure in Nigeria. This was a man that touched the lives of many home and abroad. Completely detribalised , touched the lives of christaians and muslims, igbo and hausas and got 90% of the votes of the entire Nigeria. Hope 93 it was but it was neer meant to be. Whatever sins he committed those 4 gruelsome years in solitary confinement is more than an atonement and expiation of those sins. He his and forever will be my hero!!!

This was a man that was told to renounce his mandate for freedom and he refused yet people still say he wanted to come and embezzle and not for the development of Nigeria. Of course his business will have also improved if he was president but his love for the people and principled stance should be acknowledged. No or very few Nigerarian politicians will do what he did with the mandate. Everyone around him betrayed him but he stuck to his principles and paid the supreme price.

"A life without a cause worth dying for is a life not worth living"

His brain, intelligence, sincerity and love of the common man will have made him a good president of the masses. None of our leaders give a shit about the common man and they are completely detached from the reality of the Nigerian brand of poverty.

MKO may the mercy of our Lord be on you !!!
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by deb(m): 11:20pm On Jun 15, 2009
"All men eventually die, but some men never really lived" - William Wallace

Abiola, the Hero Lived before he died. The ungrateful Nigerians may express their evil heart
but some of us will forever uphold your great legacy. We will continue the fight that you did
not finish until your enemies are brought to book. IBB your greatest enemy and the greatest
enemy of our nation will be jailed. It may not happen now but it will surely happen. maybe in his old age,
he will spend the rest of his life in prison.

Nigerians are so forgetful, they even want IBB to become president. A man that ordinarily should be rottening in jail
in any civilized society. Abiola the change that you died for will happen in this country and your death will not be in vain.
All your enemies including OBJ will die in shame, nemesis will catch up with them and their chiildren's children.
Some people don't understand the consequences of what they do. I pity their generation yet unborn
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by adigun101: 2:33pm On Jun 18, 2009
Abiola was a summary of Nigeria's problems. I remember complicacies in his not running for president when Shehu Musa Yar'Adua was running. Only to come in on a grand scale after he was disqualified. He was close to IBB and was in on the plan all along. IBB only turned on him when he was put under pressure by senior military officers.

After being cheated and banned by IBB, Abacha evntually made  Yar'Adua pay by mudering him in cold blood.
Alhaji Shehu Musa Yar'Adua has paid a higher price than Abiola will ever do.
But why isn't he as celebrated.

Just contributing a careful analysis !
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Lagosboy: 3:10pm On Jun 18, 2009
adigun101:

Abiola was a summary of Nigeria's problems. I remember complicacies in his not running for president when Shehu Musa Yar'Adua was running. Only to come in on a grand scale after he was disqualified. He was close to IBB and was in on the plan all along. IBB only turned on him when he was put under pressure by senior military officers.

After being cheated and banned by IBB, Abacha evntually made Yar'Adua pay by mudering him in cold blood.
Alhaji Shehu Musa Yar'Adua has paid a higher price than Abiola will ever do.
But why isn't he as celebrated.

Just contributing a careful analysis !

Could you expanitate your reasons why he paid a higher price.

mind you musa yar adua has always been celeberated by the pwers that be. The conference center in Abuja named after him, every single year a gathering cum annual lecture is made in is honour with OBJ an Atiku always in attendance. Now Abiola isnt celeberated by the powers that be but celeberated by the masses . There must be a reason for this. Abiola hasnt never been recognised post humously by the federal govt but yaradua has .

I will really like you to expantiate on your reasons for the above statement.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by charles316: 4:36pm On Jul 25, 2009
a yoruba man cant make a gud presido, obj for instance
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by deb(m): 6:10am On Jul 26, 2009
Is it Yara-Nothing sorry dua that is better or an average easterner that cannot even be trusted by you?
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by nex(m): 7:49am On Jul 26, 2009
What you should be asking, in case you didn't know is: was Abiola a good man?

When you can answer that, you can answer any questio about Abiola.

Somebody that studied the average Nigerian he'd impoverished so well that he didn't see need to even buy their votes with money. He used FOOD. Milk, Salt and Rice.

Only God can punish Abiola and anybody that is trying to sanctify him. Especially Tinubu.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by oyinda3(f): 7:56am On Jul 26, 2009
can there be a "i don't know" option in the poll?
i mean i don't know if he would have made a good president but he had the potential to be one. he was already a rich businessman n didn't need to steal our money. plus he was civilian and civilian is always better than millitary.
so yes he would have been WAYYYY better than Abacha. that's for sure

i still remember his campaign song sef. mko action kingigbe abiola abiola progress. lol i was only 3 yrs and still remember some images from the commercial sef. i would have loved him to be president.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by nex(m): 8:49am On Jul 26, 2009
I wonder how everybody seems to remember that song.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by oyinda3(f): 8:52am On Jul 26, 2009
they prolly played it every five minutes everyday. mko can afford to pay for his ad on NTA u kno. cheesy

do u remember the song too? was there a scene on the bus where some guy was standing and holding on the rail. that's the only clearer image i remember. and i think there was a light bulb somewhere in it too.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Jakumo(m): 9:33am On Jul 26, 2009
Lagosboy:

MKO the legend !!! The president that never was!!! The lion of Gbagura with a heart full of kindness!!!

He is the 2nd greatest Nigerian I ever met in my opinion. A man of intelligence in its highest form , with a memory of a computer hard drive. He was a great man indeed, his brain will have transfromed Nigeria with a high degree of professionalism.

No doubt he romanced with the army but can anyone tell any polotician of that generation that never did. The army were in power and no businessman will not be close to the pwers that be. I am not talking of the origin of his wealth as that is a different story.

The is No Nigerian and this is a fact no Nigerian living today that touched the lives of many how MKO did. There is no wealthy Nigerian today that attempted or attempt to spread wealth like MKO. In his words he said he wants to spread wealth like manure in Nigeria. This was a man that touched the lives of many home and abroad. Completely detribalised , touched the lives of christaians and muslims, igbo and hausas and got 90% of the votes of the entire Nigeria. Hope 93 it was but it was neer meant to be. Whatever sins he committed those 4 gruelsome years in solitary confinement is more than an atonement and expiation of those sins. He his and forever will be my hero!!!

This was a man that was told to renounce his mandate for freedom and he refused yet people still say he wanted to come and embezzle and not for the development of Nigeria. Of course his business will have also improved if he was president but his love for the people and principled stance should be acknowledged. No or very few Nigerarian politicians will do what he did with the mandate. Everyone around him betrayed him but he stuck to his principles and paid the supreme price.

"A life without a cause worth dying for is a life not worth living"

His brain, intelligence, sincerity and love of the common man will have made him a good president of the masses. None of our leaders give a shit about the common man and they are completely detached from the reality of the Nigerian brand of poverty.

MKO may the mercy of our Lord be on you !!!
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Nobody: 10:54am On Jul 26, 2009
A saying say"IF U DONT HAVE ANYTN TO LIVE FOR,THEN,U SHOULD HAVE SOMETIN TO DIE FOR"
Even if he would have been the worse president Nigeria will have,this guy won the freest election in this country, European & other countries countries have had successful businessmen turned-president as their leaders & they are not doing bad.Abiola died for a cause i.e Democracy
@phemmy, People like u make comments only to increase ur poll counts, I gues if u were born during the June 12 struggle cuz every Nigerian have sympathy for the cause.So stop spoiling this guy afteral he's a dead man.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by tarano: 9:19pm On Jul 28, 2009
MKO Abiola would have been a better President because he is a populist, He was a man that believed in people
Not arrogant bastards like OBJ.
I believe MKO would have been a better leader than Obasanjo for sure
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by ikeyman00(m): 10:55pm On Jul 28, 2009
never know

but most likely [size=14pt]no[/size]

still guarantee better than obj-yara mango
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Sunofgod(m): 6:59pm On Apr 17, 2010
Maybe then but not now,

Today's Nigeria would be beyond him.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by RoadStar: 7:45pm On Apr 17, 2010
In Nigeria you are good until u occupy a public office.
So Abiola no matter what he did would've turned out a bad president.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Sunofgod(m): 7:49pm On Apr 17, 2010
The majority of NL's have voted no!

I.T.T? -  shocked
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by sjeezy8: 8:08pm On Apr 17, 2010
No I think it was dumb for Abiola to run for office now that i think of it.- he should have stuck to business.

Interview with OONI OF IFE

You mentioned Chief MKO Abiola, what was your relationship with him? Because there are those who say that you did not support the June 12 cause in relation to Abiola?

Kabiyesi: You see, it's a long story. Abiola had been coming to greet me before I became Ooni. I used to give Abiola business to do. Abiola was the closest friend of my late younger brother, Dapo. So Abiola was a younger brother to me. Awolowo was above Abiola. Abiola was one of those who did not allow Awolowo to reach his goal and that is partly why we are suffering today.

If Awolowo had made it to being the president of this country, this country would have been great. Abiola had been planning to be president for 20 years. grin LOL

I believe so much in your ability but I don't believe in your destroying anybody. Whether I believe in June 12 or not, I donated and gave Abiola money up to four times. In my house in London, Abiola was with me up to three times. I knew Abiola very well and he was very close to me.

Everybody on that day spoke in my favour. They didn't want secession; they didn't want the country to break-up. So, they were more or less on my side except one traditional ruler from Imo State. He said: "Why don't you allow the government do whatever they think is right". The Awujale was sitting opposite me. When he took the microphone, he said: "Mr. President, you know I always disagree with the Ooni every now and then, but on this occasion, I agree with Ooni a hundred per cent"! President Babangida later took the microphone. He said gentlemen," I'm the closest to Abiola's family and what I have done is for friendship's sake". He brought out a file and said he has paid Abiola over $800 million for jobs done and those not done. The whole place was dead silent.

Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by sjeezy8: 8:19pm On Apr 17, 2010
$800 million  shocked shocked he gave Abiola- Abiola was a crook and no different than IBB himself.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by nex(m): 10:38pm On Apr 17, 2010
Not at all. He would have been a very terribly corrupt and clueless president.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Nobody: 11:42pm On Apr 17, 2010
We will never know!!!!!!

He stole money, He is a philanthropist (Robin hood).

We will never know. If he really stole money meant for the infrastructure that will benefit the people, then he's not the people's man. To be honest his dealings with military you guys are talking about doesn't really stain him the characters that he was dealing with is what matters. I don't know him so jah bless the dead!!!
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by bobolic: 4:05pm On Jun 14, 2012
He would have been a disaster. No doubt he would have failed monumentally. The key issue here is lack of intelligence or capacity to take difficult decisions.This , on the other hand is one of Babangida's strong points.Abiola was the one who met with Abacha and gave him a list of those Yoruba people that he wanted in Abacha's cabinet. True or false? The gentlemen are still alive today and can testify to it.The same Abiola suddenly changed his mind one afternoon and declared himself president, no doubt , on the advise of some other Yoruba people.Why could he not decide what he wanted for himself in the first place? In prison, his son advised him to drop the matter and get back to his business.Some old men, some of who are still alive advised him to the contrary. He could not decide. Was he not preparing to leave the prison when Abdusalami came in, after suffering in the prison already? Some of us were not kids when these things were going on. Abiola would not have been a good president.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Katsina: Appeal Court sacks 2 PDP Reps members: Chindo Ahmad, Ismail Dalha / Keyamo, An Embarrassment To The Legal Profession - Atiku Campaign / "HTTP Server Error" - INEC Opens Up IREV Failure During Presidential Poll

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.