Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,879 members, 7,810,340 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:28 AM

Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? (11480 Views)

Poll: Chief MKO Abiola would have been a good president:

Yes: 45% (65 votes)
No: 54% (78 votes)
This poll has ended

MKO Abiola International Airport Will Be Ready Next Year- Osun Government / Mubashiru Abiola Is Dead (MKO Abiola's Younger Brother) / Can Osinbajo Be A Good President? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Aleksys: 5:32am On Jan 12, 2008
would? Ifs,suppose or assuming are all politically incorrect languages. You cannot judge somebody in anticipation. Please let Abiola rest in peace. You do not speak evil of the dead because he is not here to defend himself.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by YangaRat: 7:45am On Jan 12, 2008
bodsibobo:

'O ma se o'! Haa, Iku naa l'o wa so eniyan nla di igi itayin bayi'!

Translation: "What a pity? It is death that has now turned a great man into a toothpick like this"

This same MKO, that fellow Nigerians are now rubbishing on this thread, is the same man that one of ANC major stalwarts, whom I happened to meet recently was speaking so highly of, and telling me many good things MKO did for the struggle in South Africa, and Africa (part of which helped them to get their freedom today) which even Nigerians are not aware of.

Anyway, didn't the Bible say something about a great person not being accepted in his own country?

Well, I never met MKO, I never worked in any of his companies and I never directly benefited from his wealth, but I can only describe him in one word;
to me he was 'PHENOMENAL'.

Bobo if to say you be woman I for dey hug you for this ya true word.

Na the time when Baba MKO come die, na him all these people come dey insult am, BUT all those THOUSANDS of poor student dem, from Africa to America, when don do better for life because of MKO sponsorship, dem nogo forget Baba, and na every day dem go dey pray make him soul rest in peace.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Nobody: 1:07pm On Jan 12, 2008
Yanga Rat:

Bobo if to say you be woman I for dey hug you for this ya true word.

Na the time when Baba MKO come die, na him all these people come dey insult am, BUT all those THOUSANDS of poor student them, from Africa to America,

You are talking about him throwing a few million naira to "thousands" of students, while we are talking about billions of naira that belongs to 150 million Nigerians. This money got lost under his care.

Yanga Rat:

BUT all those THOUSANDS of poor student them, from Africa to America, when don do better for life because of MKO sponsorship, them nogo forget Baba, and na every day them go dey pray make him soul rest in peace.
Why woun't they pray for him? After all, some market women are doing well in business now with the money Lawrence Anenih sprayed to them. Do you think these market women dont pray for Anenih everyday? Abegi!
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by wesleymof: 3:32pm On Jan 15, 2008
The irony of it all is that his name is fast being forgotten, an average Nigeria that was not born before the death of Abiola and Fela tends to know FELA and his agitations than anything Abiola did when he was alive!
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by tufe(m): 5:18pm On Jan 15, 2008
yes, i believ he would have been a wonderful president
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by ndelta1(m): 9:15pm On Jan 18, 2008
Would have! Not the president!,

Did you remember ITT and less I forget, The drowning of Containers carrying Bibles for the lost, he was responsible for that, I believe, if Abiola was President, then many Church would have been changed to M and Canaan land, Redeem Camp, Love world and many praying Camp would have been a dream not fulfilled.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Fife: 7:25am On Jan 19, 2008
Oh no! Its as simple as that.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by djcrucifix(m): 1:53pm On Jan 19, 2008
we cant really tell can we? the guy didnt get the chance to be president.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Sijien(m): 8:34pm On Jan 19, 2008
d man is dead jo. make una leave am make im rest in peace. for d record he wont have made a good prez.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by klag(m): 2:42pm On Jan 20, 2008
What difference does it make? The problem is not just the politicians (MKO or whoever) who are nothing more than the product of their society. All elections, like June 12, are rigged in Nigeria. The people themselves must bear some responsibility. The fact that people are still asking questions like this, leads to what this guy calls, 'Nigeria, the Pussycat of Africa': http://www.lagosian.com/blog_detail.php?blog_id=30
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by ojujucala: 6:02pm On Jan 20, 2008
No doubt MKO abiola was what many in his generation were not:  A business mogul, a magnanimous philanthropist and a well meaning nigerian.  He was also an ardent supporter of sports in Africa. an industrialist, a large employer of labour and a people's man.

So much has been said and unsaid about this great man. I believe he is one of the greatest Nigerians ever to live.

But the question is,  considering his military connections and dealings, and the fact that he is a product of the "Nigerian factor" (contracts, ITT, oil blocks, et all) would MKO Abiola have made a difference as a Nigerian president had the elections not been annulled?  Or would he have been a farce like the rest of them all?

@noetic, Bankole01, bibiking, kobojunkie and all good nairalanders

I love this topic and all your answers. It shows that we have a thriving community here. Can you please help me? My question is " What can we do to make Nigeria a better place?
Please join us,  and other well meaning
Nigerians as we come together to discuss, share ideas
and give practical suggestions about how we can make
Nigeria a better place. Click here
www.successdigestnigeria.com/forum  and give your own
advice. Register today to make your contribution to the discussion. Registration is F.REE.

As you make your suggestions please no complaints, no acrimony, no hatred, no excuses, no blaming of anybody, only honest & practical
suggestions. You can make a difference. Be a part of the solution. LETS MAKE NIGERIA A BETTER PLACE. Visit
www.successdigestnigeria.com/forum  and give your own
suggestions.

You could be saving your loved ones from future pain
and sorrow. Your honest and unbiased opinion could
help save someone, somewhere in Port Harcourt
,Modakeke, Taraba, Warri, Jos, kano, Lagos, and other
hot spots of Nigeria, from  suffering hardship, poverty
and unemployment because of social injustice or losing
their lives to political, economic and religious
intolerance. Thank you. LET’S MAKE NIGERIA A BETTER
PLACE . Join the discussion forum to make your suggestion
Click here now, www.successdigestnigeria.com/forum registration is
free.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Virgo83(m): 10:56am On Aug 01, 2008
CHIEF M.K.O. ABIOLA, A King that never got crowned, I rest my case.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Gonorrhea(m): 12:17pm On Aug 01, 2008
Most likely!
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Ibime(m): 12:32pm On Aug 01, 2008
I can't believe you guys are even affording Abiola the decency to call him a business man.

There is nothing 'business' about stealing money and securing contracts by bribery.

If he was a good businessman, with all his wealth, he would have successful businesses abroad.

However, he could only function as a businessman in the muddied water of Nigerian political backscratching.

Business man my ass. Thief, more like.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Mustay(m): 1:06pm On Aug 01, 2008
Ibime:

I can't believe you guys are even affording Abiola the decency to call him a business man.

There is nothing 'business' about stealing money and securing contracts by bribery.

If he was a good businessman, with all his wealth, he would have successful businesses abroad.

However, he could only function as a businessman in the muddied water of Nigerian political backscratching.

and the same Niagrans condemn their leaders for setting up businesses abroad
`
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Gonorrhea(m): 1:09pm On Aug 01, 2008
Mustay:

and the same Niagrans condemn their leaders for setting up businesses abroad

u can say that again my brother!
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by cruworld(m): 1:11pm On Aug 01, 2008
it that i dont know what to say i feel like contributing to this issue, so i no fit shout
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by sleekymag(m): 1:55pm On Aug 01, 2008
@ Poster

Being a people's man, MKO would have faired well, but he wouldn't have made a perfect president. Perfection doesn't come cheap. In his 4 or 8years in office he still wouldn't have been able to correct all the ills done by preceding administrations (military and civilian) over the years. There would still have been the poor and those without employment (though statistics may differ). And as politicians are usually known for promises unfulfilled, he may not have fulfilled 100% of what he said he was going to achieve in office. However, would he have been a good president? My answer, he would have given a good shot at it.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by papagiddy(m): 2:30pm On Aug 01, 2008
Dead issue, Dead topic, Dead man, that is it!
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Queenisha: 3:42pm On Aug 01, 2008
n_delta:

Would have! Not the president!,

Did you remember ITT and less I forget, The drowning of Containers carrying Bibles for the lost, he was responsible for that, I believe, if Abiola was President, then many Church would have been changed to M and Canaan land, Redeem Camp, Love world and many praying Camp would have been a dream not fulfilled.

Good point.
The man was as fanatic as they get with his Islam.
He swore that he'll spread Islam all over Nigeria until the Al Koran is dipped into the Atlantic Ocean.
Well, looks like God had a different plan.
The cold hands of death snatched up his soul before his mission could be accomplished.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by monsho(m): 3:59pm On Aug 01, 2008
@Bankole01

If it is true that M.K.O financed many coups during the dark days of the Military
     then, he must have done what he needed to do as a businessman to remain in
     business.

Don't tell me you do not know the role DANGOTE is playing in the current polity.
     Would DANGOTE had succeeded to become what he is today if he had not cont-
     ributed to the success of "PEOPLE DESTROYING PEOPLE's" agenda that resulted
     in the mass rigging of "1999 GENERAL ELECTION"?

Let us learn never to talk evil of the DEAD for, we will be with them ONE DAY!

My father said to me at a very tender age: "LANRE! Do not search for the faults
    of others; do not have evil thoughts about anyone - Instead, look at your own
    faults and try to put them in order. Above all, speak in a nice and humble way!

I doubt if this make sense to you.

Remember, i mean no harm!
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Queenisha: 4:07pm On Aug 01, 2008
monsho:

@Bankole01

If it is true that M.K.O financed many coups during the dark days of the Military
then, he must have done what he needed to do as a businessman to remain in
business.

does that now make it OK shocked shocked shocked
Thieves steal because they need the stuff,do we now excuse them? shocked shocked shocked

Don't tell me you do not know the role DANGOTE is playing in the current polity.
Would DANGOTE had succeeded to become what he is today if he had not cont-
ributed to the success of "PEOPLE DESTROYING PEOPLE's" agenda that resulted
in the mass rigging of "1999 GENERAL ELECTION"?

and so what?
if that's what he's doing should we now lose sight of right and wrong because everyone seems to be doing it? shocked shocked shocked

Let us learn never to talk evil of the DEAD for, we will be with them ONE DAY!

Bull crap !!
we might as well cannonize Hitler, Abacha and Jeffrey Dahmer.
They are afterall dead.
abegi
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by eminemkc(m): 4:29pm On Aug 01, 2008
WHAT CAN I SAY NOW? SHORT OF WORDS,
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Akolawole(m): 4:38pm On Aug 01, 2008
Ibime:

Baseless accusation.

Dont put your mouth into what you dont know grin

@Kobo

Abiola made first class in accountancy in Glassgow.
I dont know how conversant you are in Naija politics in second and third republic but Abiola dont need any millitary BUT God to win June 12 presidential election.
The only time he need to use his big influence and money was in Jos convention where he has to face Kingibe from a more formidable Yaradua movement.

## I believe the drowning of the Bible thing is just a hearsay. His life and most of his wives are christians.

### He is a detribalise Nigerian

@Topic

Can he make a good president if sworned in in 1993?

Ans: Nooooooo

Can he make a good president after the wahala of the actualisation of 1993 election?

Ans: Yes
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Queenisha: 4:41pm On Aug 01, 2008
Akolawole:

tell that to the Redeemed choristers !!
detrabalized indeed.
There's only one detribalized nIgerian and his name is Gani
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by abdurrazaq(m): 4:48pm On Aug 01, 2008
The end of Abiola should be enough for us to know the type of person he really was. From all that I've read here and all that I've been hearing from people about Abiola, I now believe strongly that EVERYBODY WILL REAP WHATEVER HE/SHE SOW.
Why wasn't OBJ election in May 1999 annulled?
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by chisco: 4:54pm On Aug 01, 2008
He was a glory to behold while the Hope 93 campaign lasted because of the quality of mobilisation he carried out before and during the elections. But he wouldn't have made a good president because he had so much dents in his pedigree which he tried seriously to correct by way of philantrophy and embracing the downtrodden but all that would have changed if he had finally gotten power because his reckless and ruthless nature would have truely come to the fore. To this end Obj and IBB would have been mere children compared to him.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Kobojunkie: 4:59pm On Aug 01, 2008
Akolawole:

@Kobo

Abiola made first class in accountancy in Glassgow.
I don't know how conversant you are in Naija politics in second and third republic but Abiola don't need any millitary BUT God to win June 12 presidential election.
The only time he need to use his big influence and money was in Jos convention where he has to face Kingibe from a more formidable Yaradua movement.

## I believe the drowning of the Bible thing is just a hearsay. His life and most of his wives are christians.

I do not care what school he attended. But from your post on his life with the military and winning the June 12 election, I can only guess you read all this from books designed to give you one view versus actually living through Abiola era. I am sorry. June 12 was clear Abiola coming in as pal to Babangida. Friendship went sour and we ended up with the same old stupid riots were we have Nigerians hacking at each other for no solid reason but tribalism/racism.

Way before then, Abiola had nothing but the milltary help he got that gave him access to millions of Nigeria's money which he embezzled and yet to be returned to date. He may be your hero but at least be bold enough to accept even his faults if you expect not to be seen as another mind-raped drone or something.

Fact - Abiola was one of the many corrupt leaders we had. He is reason why Telecom is in state it is today in Nigeria
Fact - Even though he played philantropist, it does not in anyway absolve him of his past crimes against the nation
Fact - His relationship with Babangida was part of reason why we came close to an Abiola presidency

You can live in denial of this but anyone who actually lived through and remember Babangida's reign well would be open to admitting that Abiola was sort of his right hand man. I remember when Third Mainland bridge was finished, Abiola was one of those who congratulated the government for a good job.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by moHot(f): 5:13pm On Aug 01, 2008
Please let the man rest in peace , though i wouldn't know if he would have made a good president , he was a philanthropist i heard--- but then someone that had a humble beginning like him  should not be heartless.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Kobojunkie: 5:17pm On Aug 01, 2008
moHot:

Please let the man rest in peace , though i wouldn't know if he would have made a good president , he was a philanthropist i heard--- but then someone that had a humble beginning like him should not be heartless.

Are you willing to make the above claims for the following men when they are gone then??

1) Obasanjo
2) Babangida

and are you willing to accept that Abacha would have also made a good president (in some netherverse), he was a philantropist and since he also had a supposedly humble beginning should not be heartless.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by moHot(f): 5:40pm On Aug 01, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Are you willing to make the above claims for the following men when they are gone then??

1) Obasanjo
2) Babangida

and are you willing to accept that Abacha would have also made a good president (in some netherverse), he was a philantropist and since he also had a supposedly humble beginning should not be heartless.
helooooooooo!!! i think people should read and understand a post before replying it , i neva said he would have made a good president but i[b] think[/b], please read and understand.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Kobojunkie: 5:50pm On Aug 01, 2008
Ok,  Let me re-type then since that part seems to be the big issue for you. 

moHot:

Please let the man rest in peace , though i wouldn't know if he would have made a good president , he was a philanthropist i heard--- but then someone that had a humble beginning like him  should not be heartless.

1) Obasanjo
2) Babangida

and are you willing to accept that Abacha was  he was a philantropist and since he also had a supposedly humble beginning should not be heartless.
While we are at it, we might as well apply the same to men like Anini and Adedibu who are also dead and were of humble beginnings ( Lord knows how much this part matters)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Aftermath Of Ogboni Fraternity, Rochas Thugs Storms Nigerian Horn And Murdered O / Benin-Auchi Highway: FG Mobilises RCC Back To Site After 2 Years / Workers Protest In Warri Over 13 Months Salary (pic + Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.