Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,874 members, 7,810,327 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:06 AM

Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? (11479 Views)

Poll: Chief MKO Abiola would have been a good president:

Yes: 45% (65 votes)
No: 54% (78 votes)
This poll has ended

MKO Abiola International Airport Will Be Ready Next Year- Osun Government / Mubashiru Abiola Is Dead (MKO Abiola's Younger Brother) / Can Osinbajo Be A Good President? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Kobojunkie: 2:06am On Jan 08, 2008
Ndipe:

I read in one paper that during his imprisonment, Abiola affirmed the Messiaship of Jesus Christ. It was unbelievable, but I did read it.

I have noticed that seems to be the trend with persons in jail. Who knows if they are for real?? I would say one thing about this situation, only God knows if he really changed or not. Fact remains, to the ordinary man who can not read the heart of a man, if he changed or not, that we will never be sure of. I mean there are stories out there that Hitler may have changed in his last minutes too. The way I view things is this, if you make a mistake as huge as the one he made, he could have at least apologized for it. See, we never get apologies from any of these people. All we get is them throwing us crumbs of good deeds here and there and we are somehow supposed tto take those as signs that they have repented for the evil they have done to us. I don't know, if a man is too proud to come out and say "ok, I know this is the cloud that has been hanging over my head for ALL THESE DECADES, I want to tell you all what really happened" and then goes on to tell us the truth and apologize if need be, then fine, I would say that is change but this man never did that and he, till the end, felt he deserved to be leader while he continued to deny us what we deserved, the truth about what really happened with all the ITT money and why what he delivered was useless wires that never worked.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by gr8child(m): 8:33am On Jan 08, 2008
Na wa. I never realised so many people hated Abiola.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by YangaRat: 9:59am On Jan 08, 2008
Na jealousy dey worry dem, Gr8Pikin. Them no fit believe say any Nigeria person dey at all when fit get money how as MKO get am, wey e nogo be say na teef e teef am.

I sure say all these biggi grammar people when dey abuse Abiola, na the same people when for dey dance follow Abiola, dey take MKO name sing if to say the man still dey this life to dey serve dem money.

Monkey no fine, but him mama love am.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by emmydee(m): 11:01am On Jan 08, 2008
MKO certainly would have made our problems worse. he was a shrewed business man. forget him plz.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by olydim: 12:29pm On Jan 08, 2008
BY IMPLICATION OF HISTORY, THE MAN WAS A SLAVE OF THE BINIS, LIKE ALL HIS BROTHERS. MOREOVER HE WAS A COMMON THIEF, ALSO LIKE HIS BROTHERS OBJ, TAFA BALOGUN AND BODE GEORGE, AMONGST OTHERS.

HAVE YOU EVER WONDERED WHY THE FABLED ABIOLA FINANCIAL EMPIRE CRUMBLED SOON AFTER HIS DEATH?
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by seunspice(m): 12:43pm On Jan 08, 2008
i dont think this thread is a reflection of how people feel about MKO as a person, and maybe most Nigerians react based on their exposure to detailed information or otherwise. one thing i know is that MKO was MKO and when he was alive he seemed never to be able to do no wrong ( apart from his philandering). The outcome of the 1993 elections can prove this. he was one loved Nigerian.
I do not judge people, but i know we would only be remembered by what we have done. i am learning a lot from this thread , such as 'what would be said about me when i am no more?'
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by seunspice(m): 12:50pm On Jan 08, 2008
olydim:

BY IMPLICATION OF HISTORY, THE MAN WAS A SLAVE OF THE BINIS, LIKE ALL HIS BROTHERS. MOREOVER HE WAS A COMMON THIEF, ALSO LIKE HIS BROTHERS OBJ, TAFA BALOGUN AND BODE GEORGE, AMONGST OTHERS.

HAVE YOU EVER WONDERED WHY THE FABLED ABIOLA FINANCIAL EMPIRE CRUMBLED SOON AFTER HIS DEATH?
Yeah, we all know his financial empire is not what it used to be, that is the only sense in all what you have said, i think you are suffering from an inferiority complex or something, you dont have to speak so low about a whole group/tribe of people cause you have or perceive you have a growse with someone. it speaks volumes about your personality. Are those the only corrupt fellas in Nigeria?
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Kobojunkie: 1:54pm On Jan 08, 2008
seunspice:

i don't think this thread is a reflection of how people feel about MKO as a person, and maybe most Nigerians react based on their exposure to detailed information or otherwise. one thing i know is that MKO was MKO and when he was alive he seemed never to be able to do no wrong ( apart from his philandering). The outcome of the 1993 elections can prove this. he was one loved Nigerian.
I do not judge people, but i know we would only be remembered by what we have done. i am learning a lot from this thread , such as 'what would be said about me when i am no more?'

I am glad you at least are able to see that this has nothing to do with hating the man but being able to judge him BY HIS OWN ACTIONS. I used to be an MKO fan myself, just as I used to be an IBB fan until he became president and showed us all BY HIS ACTIONS who he really was. Majority of people in Nigeria do not even accept or have somehow repressed their memories of MKO's IBB days or even MKO's ITT days. This I know of the Nigerian people, we are a society that is quick to idolize and less to do our research on people. This is, in my opinion, the reason we continue to REPEAT OUR MISTAKES over and over and over and over in that continent as a whole. A man comes into town and throws money and hugs around and BAM,  He becomes a loved man in the eyes of the people, not many bother to verify his version of of stories. Are we created stupid??

I know someone already said that it is meaningless debating this topic since the man is already dead and I agree with him but I also harbour this fear that one day, one of MKO's many kids will come up one day to run with the abiola name and legacy as ticket and many Nigerians will, without really doing their research about who the man really was, vote him in. embarassed
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by noetic(m): 2:00pm On Jan 08, 2008
Kobojunkie:

I am glad you at least are able to see that this has nothing to do with hating the man but being able to judge him BY HIS OWN ACTIONS. I used to be an MKO fan myself, just as I used to be an IBB fan until he became president and showed us all BY HIS ACTIONS who he really was. Majority of people in Nigeria do not even accept or have somehow repressed their memories of MKO's IBB days or even MKO's ITT days. This I know of the Nigerian people, we are a society that is quick to idolize and less to do our research on people. This is, in my opinion, the reason we continue to REPEAT OUR MISTAKES over and over and over and over in that continent as a whole. A man comes into town and throws money and hugs around and BAM, He becomes a loved man in the eyes of the people, not many bother to verify his version of of stories. Are we created stupid??

you kobjunkie and your cohorts have continued to cast an aspersion on Mko and every other person that has ever led or aspire to lead this country. you have refused to offer alternatives, ideas, qualities or set bench mark for the development of this country. your form of destructive criticism is the last thing Nigeria needs at this point in time.

you belong to the microwave generation that goes to church to pray for a "nigerian messiah" repent for the betterment of nigeria
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Kobojunkie: 2:13pm On Jan 08, 2008
noetic:

you kobjunkie and your cohorts have continued to cast an aspersion on Mko and every other person that has ever led or aspire to lead this country. you have refused to offer alternatives, ideas, qualities or set bench mark for the development of this country. your form of destructive criticism is the last thing Nigeria needs at this point in time.

you belong to the microwave generation that goes to church to pray for a "nigerian messiah" repent for the betterment of nigeria

I am thinking you have more issues than you have debating skills. Why in the world would you go around asking people for solutions just cause you can not handle the fact that they do not approach topics as you do?? Look up, what is the Topic of the thread?? WOULD MKO ABIOLA HAVE MADE A GOOD PRESIDENT?? I gave my answer and I went ahead and gave over and over my reasons for my answer. Why do you think I owe you a solution ?? Then I even add that people should learn to do more research on people before they decide to idolize them or not Can you read??

I am sorry to disappoint you but your assumption of me is wrong. I do not believe in a Nigerian messiah and neither do I have a messiah complex. Maybe the reason you keep mentioning that over and over yourself is cause that is what you believe but sorry not every does. If you actually spent time to read any one of my threads, you would seew how  I put the responsibility over and over on the Nigerian people themselves to dig Nigeria out of the pit hole we have put ourselves in.  I do go to church, sure, but I don't think I have prayed for Nigeria since I was a kid. Now I have prayed for Iraq and the Iraqi people though more than I have the Nigerian people cause I do believe as you do, LMAO!!!

I propose you spend more time READING UP what people actually post and less time trying to PSYCHO ANALYZE those you know little of. It might help you a whole lot.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by noetic(m): 2:45pm On Jan 08, 2008
should I assume that you lack intellectual reasoning abilities or is it a case of ambivalence, just writing because others are or cos u want to b noticed. please go and re-read your posts, especially on this topic.

you kept casting aspersions on MKO, u made mention of his degree, how ITT made him wealthy, how he taught the khaki boys how or how not to loot the treasury. how he financed every coup since 1960. this has been your basis for impugning a man who ran an issue based campaign.

that you may know, except for when I initially pasted this topic, I have never delved on his complex past. y? because his antecedents are mixed by the known and unknown. he did good things we all can see and testify to and bad things no one can prove but speculate about.

you dont owe me a solution. you owe your answers, its called constructive criticism.
the question is WOULD MKO HAVE MADE A GOOD PRESIDENT? u answered no.
look at your reasons, they reflect the opinion of a mind abused by a sinistrous "pull down at all cost syndrome"

I propose you stop thinking dumb as it has proven to be your undoing, instead start reasoning, this way u answer questions, make criticisms and at least suggest solutions no matter how thoughtless they seem.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Kobojunkie: 2:50pm On Jan 08, 2008
interesting, basically my delving in to the information that forces me to answer NO to the main question is your problem here and to you unintelligent ?? You mean you lied when you posted this at the start of this thread?? Were you trying to bait people into answering so you can cut them down for doing exactly what you requested

Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President?
« on: January 05, 2008, 06:39 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No doubt MKO abiola was what many in his generation were not: A business mogul, a magnanimous philanthropist and a well meaning nigerian. He was also an ardent supporter of sports in Africa. an industrialist, a large employer of labour and a people's man.

So much has been said and unsaid about this great man. I believe he is one of the greatest Nigerians ever to live.

But the question is, considering his military connections and dealings, and the fact that he is a product of the "Nigerian factor" (contracts, ITT, oil blocks, et all) would MKO Abiola have made a difference as a Nigerian president had the elections not been annulled? Or would he have been a farce like the rest of them all?

I think you should READ AGAIN. I am sorry if I have and hold these reasons against the man to this day since there is no record of him apologizing or explaining to the people what really happened and why. I think you need to learn what constructive critiscism is yourself. What are you afraid of?? People not seeing things as you do?? Anywho, never mind. I am the one at fault for thinking the poster in this case was a sane person. Next time, I will learn to avoid your posts at all cost so as not to set you off since I do not see the world through your own eyes. My bad!!
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by noetic(m): 3:01pm On Jan 08, 2008
after re-reading your posts, I cant but concur that your mental state and sanity raises questions.
u debated because u felt the poster is as dumb as you are to reason without being logically able to analyse his thoughts.

I guess your expiriences in life obviously as a looser is responsible for your "never see good in others approach". thats y u are jittery over the incations or actions of a dead man
my post reflects my neutrality, I painted both sides of the picture, good and bad. give your reasons and back them up cogently and not relly on unintelligent excuses
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by femionasan(m): 3:40pm On Jan 08, 2008
Wow!!!!!!!!! MKO has a lot of enemies oh!!!! Even in death. Nobody can say how he would have run the country if he had made it to Aso rock. So i dont think all this is relevant. Let the man rest in his grave. Everybody thinks they can be the best when given the opportunity but u then see their true colours when the are handed such responsiblities.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jan 08, 2008
It's very clear that you are being either sentimental or confused here.
Weren't you the person who wrote this first post?

"But the question is,  considering his military connections and dealings, and the fact that he is a product of the "Nigerian factor" (contracts, ITT, oil blocks, et all) would MKO Abiola have made a difference as a Nigerian president had the elections not been annulled?  Or would he have been a farce like the rest of them all?"

Now tell me what on earth MKO could have done to out weigh philantropism his MK if not to explain his involvement in ITT fraud and his involvement in most coups that took place in Nigeria?
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Nobody: 4:12pm On Jan 08, 2008
Now tell me what on earth MKO could have done to out weigh his philantropism if not to explain his involvement in ITT fraud and his involvement in most coups that took place in Nigeria?
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by seunspice(m): 5:00pm On Jan 08, 2008
If some decades ago, this sort of question was asked about Jerry Rawlings in Ghana, we might have heard this type of replies we see on this thread. The man was in and out of power, planned coups, carried out mass slaughters, plundered the Ghanian Economy, murdered sleep. But right now, even an average Ghanian would whoop your ass if you talk rubbish about this man cause he set them on the path to recovery. I have said in my earlier post on this thread that we cannot judge Abiola by what he was pre June 12 , He could have turned out to be worse than Abacha, IBB and OBJ put together and he could have turn out to be better than Awolowo (if he had been a good president) or whoever.

Various circumstances we find ourselves in definitely dictates how we would react to situations. Afterall, the everwise biblical Solomon turned out to be the greatest Adulterer of all time. Abiola this, , Abiola that, Let sleeping dogs sleep. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by bibiking1(m): 5:18pm On Jan 08, 2008
@seunspice
you obviously detest the truth and prefer fantasy and fables.
you always want to tell your kids of abiola the "great man" like Udeme in that guinness ad
truth is abiola was a saboteur, and his travails were a result of his past political infamy
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by BigB11(m): 5:20pm On Jan 08, 2008
I've tried my best to ignore this topic, because it isn't right to talk about someone who is no long here; there is nothing worst than judging another human being, especially when he or she is not here to defend himself or herself. So, may God forgive me in advance for my comment.

Question:Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President?

First, MKO, a one of a kind; extremely intelligent and a very courageous human being.
But as a president, I'm not sure if he was the right man.
I feel that with that many kids, many wives and enormous amount of baby mamas and unclaimed kids, it would have been more than impossible for MKO to stay focused and tackle all these difficult unique issues facing our nation.
Moreover, from his character, I also saw a little bit of lack of willpower; which I think is very relevant for a true leader to have and to succeed.

Therefore, my honest answer will be capital "NO"

He was a great man; may his soul continue to rest in peace!
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by noetic(m): 8:20pm On Jan 08, 2008
@Nuzo

I m neither sentimental nor confused. and in fairness to me I offered no opinion.
Abiola had a dirty past, but ran an issue-based campaign, the only I can attest for in modern Nigeria.

If I had any logical reason to believe that Abiola would have made a good or bad president, then I wouldnt have pasted this in the first place.

it was in an attempt to see other people`s analyses of abiola`s agenda that neccesitated me to write this topic. but unfortunately certain people simply despised him and continued to ring his past in our ears as if no one had a past. I just felt that perhaps someone could state convincingly that his manifesto was a hoax or something else we never thought of, et al

I elaborated on his bad past and positive side and took no side, though undoubtedly I like the man and still think he is one of the greatest africans ever to live .
I am entitled to my opinion.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Nobody: 1:44am On Jan 09, 2008
I read in one paper that during his imprisonment, Abiola affirmed the Messiaship of Jesus Christ. It was unbelievable, but I did read it.

@ Ndipe,the Koran acknowledges Jesus as the Messiah but that is not enough.
One must accept him as Lord and saviour not as some prophet.
If he did accept Christ good for him.
I also read that Saddam accepted Christ before his hanging.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Nobody: 5:00am On Jan 09, 2008
noetic:

@Nuzo

I m neither sentimental nor confused. and in fairness to me I offered no opinion.
Abiola had a dirty past, but ran an issue-based campaign, the only I can attest for in modern Nigeria.

If I had any logical reason to believe that Abiola would have made a good or bad president, then I wouldnt have pasted this in the first place.

it was in an attempt to see other people`s analyses of abiola`s agenda that neccesitated me to write this topic. but unfortunately certain people simply despised him and continued to ring his past in our ears as if no one had a past. I just felt that perhaps someone could state convincingly that his manifesto was a hoax or something else we never thought of, et al

I elaborated on his bad past and positive side and took no side, though undoubtedly I like the man and still think he is one of the greatest africans ever to live .
I am entitled to my opinion.

I respect your opinion my friend and i expect every right thinking person to do so. But would that lead us anywhere if we don't try to be objective on this issue?
In as much as MKO ran an issue-based campaign, was very good with charity; it still would not change the fact that he was one of the first people who looted the country big time. Until his death, he was not able to explain what happened to the ITT fund.
With this, most people will find it very difficult to be carried away with his philantropism.

Part of what has been killing Nigeria is that we hardly can differentiate between philantropism and patriotism.

PEACE.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by mashaun(m): 7:44am On Jan 09, 2008
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy nigerians have problem.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by seunspice(m): 10:36am On Jan 09, 2008
bibiking1:

@seunspice
you obviously detest the truth and prefer fantasy and fables.
you always want to tell your kids of abiola the "great man" like Udeme in that guinness ad
truth is abiola was a saboteur, and his travails were a result of his past political infamy
bibiking1, i would rather tell my kids how myopic, unintelligent, arrogant and stupid you are, rather than tell them anything about Abiola, you go about judging dead men, Others would judge you when you are gone too. Obviously you are deluded. I can't point to anything endearing about Abiola that i posted on this thread neither have i given any indication that my posts on him are borne out of a personal feeling about him. So i wonder how your fish brain came about its conclusion. we need to purge the society of vermins like you.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by peteroby(m): 10:41am On Jan 09, 2008
so many people in here really do not know much about MKO, i worked with him during his political years and he sound very nice.the only problem with MKO is that he is  an Adulterer he love women so much and that made him got so many wives.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by zheroes(m): 11:34am On Jan 09, 2008
political leaders are like FOREX SOFTWARES, until tested and proven right in a particular circumstance, you never can tell, even in the future you still don't know. they are so unpredictable.
past performances do not guarantee future results

if MKO never ruled, he shouldnt be judged good or bad because he was never tested politically.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by seunspice(m): 12:30pm On Jan 09, 2008
Preach it zhetoes , grin grin grin grin
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Besteric(m): 12:33pm On Jan 09, 2008
LOL, june 12 1993 election was my first time of casting a vote cuz i turned 18 that same year: I voted for Abiola cuz i was mad that we lived in a country where a particular region felt it was their birth right to monopolise nigerian leadership.  We knew Abola was corrupt, selfish,damn dangerous to deal with but we swallowed everything just cuz of de fact that he was a southerner.
             Now his death brought about the change of heart by the northerners  whose only reason to cancel the election was because he was nt a hausa-fulani man.    
        May his Soul rest in peace , Amen. He was nt a saint but his death brought something good to the nation,.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by otokx(m): 5:41pm On Jan 09, 2008
Did Fela like Abiola? He sang of him a lot.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Guk: 6:07pm On Jan 11, 2008
MKO WOULD HAVE BEEN THE WORST PRESIDENT IF HE WAS SWORN IN IN 1993.

He would have been a Stooge of the CALIPHATE, but i believe, he would have been
a decently achieving President if sworn in afer release from prison as he had learnt
by the things he suffered
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by bodsibobo(m): 8:36pm On Jan 11, 2008
'O ma se o'! Haa, Iku naa l'o wa so eniyan nla di igi itayin bayi'!

Translation: "What a pity? It is death that has now turned a great man into a toothpick like this"

This same MKO, that fellow Nigerians are now rubbishing on this thread, is the same man that one of ANC major stalwarts, whom I happened to meet recently was speaking so highly of, and telling me many good things MKO did for the struggle in South Africa, and Africa (part of which helped them to get their freedom today) which even Nigerians are not aware of.

Anyway, didn't the Bible say something about a great person not being accepted in his own country?

Well, I never met MKO, I never worked in any of his companies and I never directly benefited from his wealth, but I can only describe him in one word;
to me he was 'PHENOMENAL'.
Re: Would MKO Abiola Have Made A Good President? by Nobody: 11:48pm On Jan 11, 2008
as a yoruba man, the potential to f--- up is very high.afterall, we thought very highly of obj in 1999 cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Don’t Hold Elections In Adamawa, Governor Begs INEC / Igbos Can Only Achieve Its Dreams Of Producing Nigeria's President In PDP -Atiku / Osun Governorship: Supreme Court Will Still Favour Me – Adeleke

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.