Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,485 members, 7,826,835 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 09:21 PM

Self-esteem And Confidence - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Self-esteem And Confidence (2244 Views)

How To Increase Your Esteem And Status (male's Version) / Low-self Esteem And Gold-digging Nigerian Girls Will Not Let Me Be / Backsides And Confidence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Self-esteem And Confidence by cfours: 3:01am On Sep 08, 2012
Some fool is trolling my posts... grin

1 Like

Re: Self-esteem And Confidence by Mynd44: 3:36am On Sep 08, 2012
Beauty is subjective.

2 Likes

Re: Self-esteem And Confidence by Nobody: 2:27pm On Sep 08, 2012
It happens to some people like that sha. Bt I dnt av ansas as 2 hw 1 can b like dat except that 1 shud just focus on his or her gifts & what the person is best at rather than beauty.

1 Like

Re: Self-esteem And Confidence by Mynd44: 7:12pm On Sep 08, 2012
Mynd_44: Beauty is subjective.
Re: Self-esteem And Confidence by cfours: 4:01am On Sep 09, 2012
richarts: It happens to some people like that sha. Bt I dnt av ansas as 2 hw 1 can b like dat except that 1 shud just focus on his or her gifts & what the person is best at rather than beauty.

true. It just amazes me at times. Confidence is beautiful
Re: Self-esteem And Confidence by queensmith: 10:51am On Sep 14, 2012
LOL!

One very smart cookie once said on this forum that people often mistake arrogance for confidence, you should know most of these men are overcompensating with bravado and they normally don't feel how they want others to perceive them. They need the validation.

I don't really buy into the whole PMSing thing (even as a woman who experiences the monthly discomfort) but it does make sense that the body changes, your experience coinciding with the pain will put you in a depressive and negative mood. It's normal to feel bad about yourself (esp if like me you get all sorts of spots randomly) but you should reassure yourself that it's only temporary and when the time is over all those feelings will be gone.

You can counteract some of the horrific symptoms with pills & creams and when you feel the time coming, beautify yourself. Do your nails, your hair, eyebrows before the time. Buy a nice outfit, some sexy lingerie, a nice pair of shoes a handbags. Things that make you feel good, wear make up, adorn yourself with hot accessories and go out with friends. Sometimes when our girlfriends compliment on our looks an style we feel better smiley.

Confidence is really how you feel about yourself, take the time to understand and appreciate yourself, give yourself the benefit of the doubt, understand different situations cause different things and love the person you are. Make an effort to love yourself and everyone else will love you. and try to appreciate that everyone feels the way you mentioned once in a while, it makes us human smiley

2 Likes

Re: Self-esteem And Confidence by Mynd44: 3:11pm On Sep 14, 2012
^^
Where have you been?
Re: Self-esteem And Confidence by queensmith: 11:23pm On Oct 01, 2012
i've been around jare! lol how are you
Re: Self-esteem And Confidence by Mynd44: 4:28am On Oct 02, 2012
You just left without looking back
Re: Self-esteem And Confidence by cfours: 6:59am On Oct 21, 2012
thanks guys! @esp queensmith
I was just having a very very bad day then.
It didn't help that I had about 5 copies of vogue magazine laying on and around my bedside. Way to depress by bloated self at the moment. Of course my period came a few days later. LOL
Re: Self-esteem And Confidence by Nobody: 9:58am On Oct 21, 2012
I agree with queensmith and would like to add something.

In order to have more self-confidence you need to learn how to truly love yourself. And if you love yourself, you also accept your shortcomings, which we ALL have. It's normal that on some days, we look better and on others worse. So love yourself regardless your "imperfection". In fact, love your shortcomings as much as you love the nice things about you.

Then: Get rid of all women magazines!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And never buy them again. The people in there don't look like normal human beings and they don't help us to develop a natural sense of beauty because some of them undergo plastic surgeries regularly and ALL of them are photoshopped. The media is brainwashing us and makes natural beauty appear like nothing.
Re: Self-esteem And Confidence by claremont(m): 3:33pm On Oct 21, 2012
It will interest you to know that most of the so-called ladies you accuse of resorting to plastic surgery actually do spend donkey hours in the Gym to get their fit bodies. Most black ladies just can't be arsed doing any physical activity because they have an innate assumption that black men like obese, unfit, and unshapely black women. Black ladies would rather sit on a couch all day watching X-factor and Britain's Got Talent while consuming copious quantities of takeaways, rather than go work out in a Gym.

If there are components of your body you are not comfortable with, do something about it.
Re: Self-esteem And Confidence by Nobody: 3:45pm On Oct 21, 2012
claremont: It will interest you to know that most of the so-called ladies you accuse of resorting to plastic surgery actually do spend donkey hours in the Gym to get their fit bodies. Most black ladies just can't be arsed doing any physical activity because they have an innate assumption that black men like obese, unfit, and unshapely black women. Black ladies would rather sit on a couch all day watching X-factor and Britain's Got Talent while consuming copious quantities of takeaways, rather than go work out in a Gym.

If there are components of your body you are not comfortable with, do something about it.

ladies like that exist for sure.
but you also need to consider that some men actually like thick women. different strokes ....
let me speak for myself. Men tell me that I have a great shape. I work out regularly. I eat healthy but I don't have the time to spend time in the gym like every day or 5 times a week. There is more to life than this. So if I see a famous woman who has given birth to 2, 3 or 4 children and still has a great shape then I also know that she has the means to do so. She has so much money that she can pay for people who take care of her kids and she has many other people who work for her. She can even afford a personal trainer. Most of us are just normal people who cannot do the same. I have to work hard for my money. And when I am done with work I am happy I can relax. Sometimes I feel like relaxing by doing sports, but some other time I want to watch TV or just read or meet my family and friends.

Apart from that, I don't expect my boyfriend to have a "perfect" body. And when I say "perfect", I mean the standards that media sets. For me my boyfriend can even be perfect when he has a belly. If you want your lady to look like in a magazine, fine. Make sure, you look like that too. I don't put that much pressure on people around me. Beauty is subjective.
Re: Self-esteem And Confidence by claremont(m): 4:04pm On Oct 21, 2012
carefreewannabe: Beauty is subjective.
I would rather argue that the evidence suggests that beauty is very objective. There are worldwide acceptable physical qualities that most men desire in a female. A man who says that beauty is subjective and hence would rather prefer obese, unfit, and unshapely black women is clearly ignorant. Most of the models we see on TV have not done any cosmetic surgery whatsoever, they ooze self-confidence because they know that they conform to universally accepted standards of beauty.
Re: Self-esteem And Confidence by Nobody: 4:18pm On Oct 21, 2012
claremont:
I would rather argue that the evidence suggests that beauty is very objective. There are worldwide acceptable physical qualities that most men desire in a female. A man who says that beauty is subjective and hence would rather prefer obese, unfit, and unshapely black women is clearly ignorant. Most of the models we see on TV have not done any cosmetic surgery whatsoever, they ooze self-confidence because they know that they conform to universally accepted standards of beauty.

beauty is subjective because one man likes beyonce and another one prefers rhianna. I don't like thin guys, some of my friends do. the list goes on.
furthermore, the ideal of today is not the ideal of tomorrow. look at the models of the 60s, they didn't look as anorexic as many do today. the ideal may change tomorrow. that is why I am saying that the media is brainwashing people. they set a standard and people believe that this is beauty and that it is objective.
I bet if the media start to show images of rather thick women, after a time, people will prefer thick women. it is universally accepted because people have been brainwashed before they could develop an own sense of beauty. a personal taste.

1 Like

Re: Self-esteem And Confidence by Nobody: 6:23pm On Oct 21, 2012
I don't think anyone feels confident 24/7. They have their moments too, just that they know how to conceal it. It's only human.

1 Like

Re: Self-esteem And Confidence by Mynd44: 8:18pm On Oct 21, 2012
ogugua88: I don't think anyone feels confident 24/7. They have their moments too, just that they know how to conceal it. It's only human.
True
Re: Self-esteem And Confidence by Nobody: 9:59pm On Oct 21, 2012
c.fours:
I consider myself average looking but on some days like this when I'm suffering from PMS, all I see is an ugly girl with a big stomach, fat and flabby arms, ugly face, ugly body,ugly hair,in fact, ugly everything! I thought it was normal to feel this way about oneself once in a while until... I met this lady who is extremely overconfident in her looks 24/7. She thinks she's the most beautiful person on earth and guess what? She looks 10x worse than me!! Don't you find this funny? How does one become that confident oneself.
Anybody met a person like this? They're so ugly but so comfortable with themselves that their confidence actually makes them appear very beautiful. I want some of what they're inhaling.
I've met guys like that too who are quite ugly but they are so confident (swag, as they call it) and that makes them so much better looking.
How does one reach that stage of confidence in oneself? Is it a case of 'ignorance is bliss' where they don't know that they are ugly? or is it a mental illness where they can't interpret the reality of their ugliness?
I pity them sometimes.... No, I don't pity them. I envy them.

My sister, you sound like someone with a good head on your shoulders.

This is a problem I can say I have more or less, just completely SOLVED in myself. It all happened recently.

The basis of self-confidence, as carefreewannabe already said, is total self-ACCEPTANCE. You have to accept yourself COMPLETELY. You have to completely learn to ignore the foolish opinions of others - because you hold yourself to higher standards than they do.

You need to have total self-trust, and believe that you are the coolest motherfucka on the planet. To the average socially conditioned robot, it might seem like you are even delusional.

Finally, you have to stop giving a hoot about what people think. As in, don't give a flying fvck about what anybody thinks. The mid-point between low self esteem and absolute confidence is INDIFFERENCE.

P.S: The only thing that really matters is what you think - the poem, by Walter Wintle,[b][/b] below beautifully captures it.

If you think you are beaten, you are
If you think you dare not, you don't,
If you like to win, but you think you can't
It is almost certain you won't.

If you think you'll lose, you're lost
For out of the world we find,
Success begins with a fellow's will
It's all in the state of mind.

If you think you are outclassed, you are
You've got to think high to rise,
You've got to be sure of yourself before
You can ever win a prize.

Life's battles don't always go
To the stronger or faster man,
But soon or late the man who wins
Is the man WHO THINKS HE CAN!

1 Like

Re: Self-esteem And Confidence by Nobody: 10:15pm On Oct 21, 2012
claremont:

The word that stands out from your post is COMFORM. Conformity is one of the basest attributes we have as humans - letting others do our thinking for us.

See, personally, I LOVE rice - I can eat it for 25 years, morning, afternoon and night, and I will never complain for once. Now, let's say you love beans as much as I do rice. If the WHOLE world ganged up tomorrow and told you that beans is bad, and that eating sand and gravel is now the in thing - will it make sense to you? That's exactly what you are doinggrin.
Re: Self-esteem And Confidence by queensmith: 4:24pm On Oct 22, 2012
c.fours:
thanks guys! @esp queensmith
I was just having a very very bad day then.
It didn't help that I had about 5 copies of vogue magazine laying on and around my bedside. Way to depress by bloated self at the moment. Of course my period came a few days later. LOL

i hear psychologies is a good magazine. I hear you on the this stuff! Alot of women share these issues, it's important to talk about them, don't hesitate to email me if you feel this way again its something I love to do!

Also there are some awesome books that might make a decent replacement for these magazines if you are interested in social studies, the beauty myth might give you better perspective on things.

1 Like

Re: Self-esteem And Confidence by cfours: 6:07am On Oct 24, 2012
queensmith:

i hear psychologies is a good magazine. I hear you on the this stuff! Alot of women share these issues, it's important to talk about them, don't hesitate to email me if you feel this way again its something I love to do!

Also there are some awesome books that might make a decent replacement for these magazines if you are interested in social studies, the beauty myth might give you better perspective on things.

haha I didn't buy the magazines. My friends were going to toss them out and so I took them to see what's in it. Ended up looking at all the pretty pictures and thinking to myself... damn I look bloated. grin That was just a temporary low feeling though. But it made me remember women i've met who just seem to be positive about things all the time even when they do not "fit the mold" and me wishing I could borrow some of their confidence.

Thanks for the tips.
Re: Self-esteem And Confidence by cfours: 10:26am On Oct 24, 2012
ogugua88: I don't think anyone feels confident 24/7. They have their moments too, just that they know how to conceal it. It's only human.

I hope so. LOL
Re: Self-esteem And Confidence by cfours: 5:06am On May 02, 2013
disclaimer: I am not fat or ugly. Just feeling low on that day. don't know why some woman-hating fool is trolling my posts and re-posting ugly/fat comments all over NL. his dad must have been raped by women in front of his eyes when he was 6 or something.

(1) (Reply)

His This D Way Men Show Luv Dis Days??. / Would You Agree To Date Someone Who Speaks Bad Of Your People? / Is It Really A Bad Thing If You Get Married To An Older Man?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.