Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,316 members, 7,819,073 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:53 AM

Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East (26883 Views)

Elders Bowing for 17-Year-Old Delta-King Chukwuka-Akaeze I / Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians / Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Nobody: 1:22am On Sep 10, 2012
Calabar/Akwa-Ibom arent Igbos. That video looks like a Calabar dance.

I'm talking about the carnival. I read about it somewhere, prolly NL.

MsDarkSkin: ancient african attire

[img]http://atomicfloozy.files./2012/02/african_warrior_princess.jpg[/img]

[img]http://3.bp..com/-rSFJEYJJpuk/TaSt9BLIvNI/AAAAAAAAAPc/Ty_RWB6vbgo/s1600/Kate_Laird.jpg[/img]

[img]http://mariehanft.files./2010/10/african-costumes2.jpg[/img]

shocked shocked shocked shocked Which part of Africa?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Nobody: 1:25am On Sep 10, 2012
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Nobody: 1:25am On Sep 10, 2012
interesting considering this is from the comments

This is complete IGBO cultural music from Nigeria..including Igbo police cultural masquerade and igbo Agaba masquerade...this people must be igbo decendants..100% sure

sting4bee 7 months ago
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Nobody: 1:26am On Sep 10, 2012
[size=18pt]Those pictures are from west, east and southern africa.[/size]

^^

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:44am On Sep 10, 2012
the slaves obviously didnt know these kind of African attires existed. it is only their descendants in recent years have started copying African costumes.

below these are Tutsi of Rwanda-Burundi doing their traditional dance. Almost no Tutsi were taken as slaves to the americas. they were deep in the interior of Africa and were the ruling-class. this msdarkskin is just taking any picture she finds of Africans and trying to compare. the others are Zlu costumes. they too were not much involved in the slave trade especiallyto the south americas.

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Nobody: 1:49am On Sep 10, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
the slaves obviously didnt know these kind of African attires existed. it is only their descendants in recent years have started copying African costumes.

below these are Tutsi of Rwanda-Burundi doing their traditional dance. Almost no Tutsi were taken as slaves to the americas. they were deep in the interior of Africa and were the ruling-class. this msdarkskin is just taking any picture she finds of Africans and trying to compare. the others are Zlu costumes. they too were not much involved in the slave trade especiallyto the south americas.

LOL sure wink

of course because once the left the continent everything about their lives was erased mentally. lolz.

they didn't remember their traditions. didn't remember their festivities. sure. grin

and fyi, i mentioned EAST, WEST, AND SOUTHERN AFRICA
to show you and everyone else, africans could be found unclad and or dancing ALL throughout the continent.

from then and now. keep living in denial.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Nobody: 1:53am On Sep 10, 2012

[img]http://crawfurd.dk/illu/carnival/car03_64.jpg[/img]

[size=18pt]A short History of carnival with a touch of Africa[/size]

[size=18pt]It is a common assumption that carnival traditions were brought to colonies in the New World by Europeans. It is partly true of course, but the inspiration flowed even stronger from another part of the world. When looking at today’s street carnivals it is quite clear that ancient African traditions have had a very strong influence.[/size]

The history of the carnival can be viewed from different angles, but one thing is sure: it is a result of a cross-cultural exchange that started centuries ago.

One track back in time will lead us to the countries in southern Europe, which have had masquerades and processions as part of their catholic traditions since Middle Ages. The carnival was connected to religious events, but the church and rulers had their trouble controlling the masqueraders from acting immoral (read: “they shouldn’t have too much fun”). In a period of time it was even strictly forbidden to wear masks at the carnival in Venice. Still today many carnivals are held in February, which traditionally is the time of Lent (the word “carnival” means the equivalent of “goodbye to meat”). The carnivals in Venice, some parts of Germany and Holland are still celebrated in the European style.

Most summer carnivals however seems to have other roots even further back in time and from another continent. Listen to the rhythms; view the colourful the street parades, the masks and feathers – this can all be traced back to ancient African festivals, of which many are still being celebrated. Similar ideas seem to have evolved in different parts in the world: an event that breaks the daily life with music and costumes. Like in Europe, the festivities originated from religious events, celebrations of harvest or in honour of spirits and ancestors. Where European masks often were meant hide a person’s identity, the African masks have another purpose: to represent and bring alive some kind of spirit.

There are many more differences and equalities between the African and European mask/costume celebrations, but [size=18pt]South America and the Caribbean are the places where traditions finally met and merged to some degree. Descendants of slaves kept the African traditions alive to keep in touch with their roots.[/size] Europeans brought their religious festivities and masquerades and added the common label “carnival”. Some places like the Bahamas actually use their local name “Junkanoo” which surely has more of an African ring to it. The world map of the greatest carnivals quite clearly points out where the catholic Europeans settled and met with slaves from Africa: Brazil, Barbados and Trinidad for instance. Another example is the Mardi Gras in Louisiana (USA) where French settlers also met with people of African descent.

The carnival certainly comes from a mix of cultures and still develops like this. It is a way to get in touch with our roots and a chance to get in touch with each other.

@red interesting.
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:54am On Sep 10, 2012
MsDarkSkin:

LOL sure wink

of course because once the left the continent everything about their lives was erased mentally. lolz.

they didn't remember their traditions. didn't remember their festivities. sure. grin

and fyi, i mentioned EAST, WEST, AND SOUTHERN AFRICA
to show you and everyone else, africans could be found unclad and or dancing ALL throughout the continent.

from then and now. keep living in denial.

then why dont north american blacks hardly remember anything at all about their slave days. cmon who are you kidding

they dont know nothing. NOTHING!

and stop dubbing all Africans as one people who are all the same uncld or whatever. we are not half-bred blacks like you. we are different peoples.
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Nobody: 1:54am On Sep 10, 2012
[size=18pt]African influences on carnival traditions[/size]

An important part of Caribbean festivals are the ancient African tradition of parading through villages in costumes and masks. This was believed to bring good fortune, to heal problems, and chill out angry relatives who had died and passed on. Carnival traditions also borrow from the African tradition of putting together natural objects like bones, grasses, beads, shells, fabric to create a mask or costume.

Feathers were frequently used by Africans on masks and headdresses as a symbol of our ability as humans to rise above pains, heartbreaks, illnesses, and problems. Today, we see feathers used in many ways in creating carnival costumes.

African dance and music traditions transformed the early carnival celebrations in the Americas, as African drum rhythms, large puppets, stick fighters, and stilt dancers began to make their appearances in the carnival festivities.

In many parts of the world, where Catholic Europeans set up colonies and entered into the slave trade, carnival took root. Brazil is famous for its carnival, as is Mardi Gras in Louisiana (where African-Americans mixed with French settlers and Native Americans). Carnival celebrations are now found throughout the Caribbean in Trinidad and Tobago, Barbados, Jamaica, Grenada, Dominica, Haiti, Cuba, St. Thomas, St. Marten; in Central and South America in Belize, Panama, and in Canada and the U.S. where Caribbean people have settled, including Brooklyn, Miami, and Toronto.
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by MrsChima(f): 1:55am On Sep 10, 2012
Thanks Sis! That man surd do look nekkid to me!! But i would tzp that arse if i wasnt with Chima. With he ole sexy self. Winks.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Nobody: 1:55am On Sep 10, 2012
Dang.. MDS is killing it up in here.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Nobody: 1:55am On Sep 10, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

[size=18pt]then why dont north american blacks hardly remember anything at all about their slave days. cmon who are you kidding[/size]

they dont know nothing. NOTHING!

and stop dubbing all Africans as one people who are all the same uncld or whatever. we are not half-bred blacks like you. we are different peoples.

is that your final answer?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Nobody: 1:59am On Sep 10, 2012
im waiting.
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by MrsChima(f): 2:02am On Sep 10, 2012
I dont understand why niggapagan and his likes think that African history and arts are hard to access and when you do get some people interested....you want biatch and cry that they are willing to learn about Africa. If they didnt show interest then they are stuck up and sheltered...i mean poverty that damn bad that you have to speak through your anus

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Nobody: 2:03am On Sep 10, 2012
lol thank you chima.

like i said long ago... "damned if we do, damned if we don't."

if we dont give africa credit, we are "lost".
if we do give her credit it's "slander" LOL grin
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Nobody: 2:06am On Sep 10, 2012
this fo0l said AAs don't remember their past. I guess to say they don't carry the tradition.

lol...i want to see if he is serious so i can drop these links on that a**. grin grin
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by MrsChima(f): 2:08am On Sep 10, 2012
MsDarkSkin: lol thank you chima.

like i said long ago... "damned if we do, damned if we don't."

if we dont give africa credit, we are "lost".
if we do give her credit it's "slander" LOL grin

I hear you...i dont give a Bleep about Africa...the West...the East....the South....the Nirth.....all i care about living my life the best way i can before joining my casket and hopefully making through the pearly gates!
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Nobody: 2:11am On Sep 10, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

I hear you...i dont give a Bleep about Africa...the West...the East....the South....the Nirth.....all i care about living my life the best way i can before joining my casket and hopefully making through the pearly gates!

And I feel you 100 percent.
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by PhysicsQED(m): 2:21am On Sep 10, 2012
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Nobody: 2:22am On Sep 10, 2012
ya.

its a cartoon/drawing that is inspired by Zulu women.

the artist is obviously a hornball. grin
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Nobody: 2:46am On Sep 10, 2012
MsDarkSkin: FROM: http://crawfurd.dk/africa/carnival.htm

[img]http://crawfurd.dk/illu/carnival/car03_64.jpg[/img]

[size=18pt]A short History of carnival with a touch of Africa[/size]

[size=18pt]It is a common assumption that carnival traditions were brought to colonies in the New World by Europeans. It is partly true of course, but the inspiration flowed even stronger from another part of the world. When looking at today’s street carnivals it is quite clear that ancient African traditions have had a very strong influence.[/size]

The history of the carnival can be viewed from different angles, but one thing is sure: it is a result of a cross-cultural exchange that started centuries ago.

One track back in time will lead us to the countries in southern Europe, which have had masquerades and processions as part of their catholic traditions since Middle Ages. The carnival was connected to religious events, but the church and rulers had their trouble controlling the masqueraders from acting immoral (read: “they shouldn’t have too much fun”). In a period of time it was even strictly forbidden to wear masks at the carnival in Venice. Still today many carnivals are held in February, which traditionally is the time of Lent (the word “carnival” means the equivalent of “goodbye to meat”). The carnivals in Venice, some parts of Germany and Holland are still celebrated in the European style.

Most summer carnivals however seems to have other roots even further back in time and from another continent. Listen to the rhythms; view the colourful the street parades, the masks and feathers – this can all be traced back to ancient African festivals, of which many are still being celebrated. Similar ideas seem to have evolved in different parts in the world: an event that breaks the daily life with music and costumes. Like in Europe, the festivities originated from religious events, celebrations of harvest or in honour of spirits and ancestors. Where European masks often were meant hide a person’s identity, the African masks have another purpose: to represent and bring alive some kind of spirit.

There are many more differences and equalities between the African and European mask/costume celebrations, but [size=18pt]South America and the Caribbean are the places where traditions finally met and merged to some degree. Descendants of slaves kept the African traditions alive to keep in touch with their roots.[/size] Europeans brought their religious festivities and masquerades and added the common label “carnival”. Some places like the Bahamas actually use their local name “Junkanoo” which surely has more of an African ring to it. The world map of the greatest carnivals quite clearly points out where the catholic Europeans settled and met with slaves from Africa: Brazil, Barbados and Trinidad for instance. Another example is the Mardi Gras in Louisiana (USA) where French settlers also met with people of African descent.

The carnival certainly comes from a mix of cultures and still develops like this. It is a way to get in touch with our roots and a chance to get in touch with each other.

@red interesting.

Did this article suggest Europeans as an origin of carnivals?

Puh-lease!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Nobody: 3:17am On Sep 10, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Did this article suggest Europeans as an origin of carnivals?

Puh-lease!!!

lol. grin

exactly. but hey! cheesy
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:08pm On Sep 10, 2012
MsDarkSkin:

is that your final answer?

no btw i meant pre-slavery days, not slave days. why do North american africans have no idea of their tribal African ancestor's culture??
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by MrsChima1(f): 3:06pm On Sep 10, 2012
LMAO@a dumb ads said Northern American Africans. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

When have two continents emerged!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by solomon111(m): 5:00pm On Sep 10, 2012
Mrs.Chima:
Thanks Sis! That man surd do look nekkid to me!! But i would tzp that arse if i wasnt with Chima. With he ole sexy self. Winks.
SMDH.!
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Fulaman198(m): 5:51pm On Sep 10, 2012
MsDarkSkin: ancient african attire

[img]http://mariehanft.files./2010/10/african-costumes2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://4.bp..com/_za0j8qH0lRc/TEwnkvw_ZgI/AAAAAAAARPQ/FWOJoGpip9s/s1600/DSCN0459.JPG[/img]

What you are linking are mainly Southern Africans, nice try though

West Africans have much different attire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gytyp3UyTc

You generalize too much, you think you know African culture, but you don't. There are millions of African cultures. Let us go by facts and not by what we think are facts. The fact is the majority of the world 90% are being Westernized. Many cultures have given up their culture(s) in favour of Western culture and it is not only African culture(s). Those include cultures in South America and Asia. Let us stop making stupid statements. IT IS NOT OK for Africans to lose their culture.

Chima and Darkskin, if you want to be puppets of white people in the West be my guest, you are both Westerners. I am a proud African, if I want to tell Africans to practice their tradition then I will. I will not bow down to Western acts.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Fulaman198(m): 5:52pm On Sep 10, 2012
KingMichael777: I'm taking this also..
[img]http://3.bp..com/-rSFJEYJJpuk/TaSt9BLIvNI/AAAAAAAAAPc/Ty_RWB6vbgo/s1600/Kate_Laird.jpg[/img]

Looks like something straight out of Marvel Comics Black Panther :rollseyes:
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Fulaman198(m): 6:18pm On Sep 10, 2012
All I can say is that this (my culture):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrBXxW_sT7E&

will never be lost for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g6PpIW3hPg

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by esere826: 6:41pm On Sep 10, 2012
All of una no get work sha

But I think we should all go back to being nu.de. No matter the race or culture, especially the ladies. wink
Men would then be judged not by their loud mouths, but by the breadth of their actions.

Nudit.y would ensure that the fashion industry is wiped out
Less environmental pollution

grin grin
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Nobody: 2:54am On Sep 11, 2012
denials denials.

keep them coming.

Not one person is convinced but you and your sidekick pagan.

esere826: All of una no get work sha

But I think we should all go back to being nu.de. No matter the race or culture, especially the ladies. wink
Men would then be judged not by their loud mouths, but by the breadth of their actions.

Nudit.y would ensure that the fashion industry is wiped out
Less environmental pollution

grin grin

lol you nor well.
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by somalia2: 3:01am On Sep 11, 2012
slaves

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Olubadan's Wife, Kudirat Aduke Is Dead / Brazilian Man Eulogize Ifa And Masquerade In Yoruba . Photos & Video / Turbaning Ceremony Of Hon Chibuike R Amaechi In Duara Kastina (Video & Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.