Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,183 members, 7,818,588 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:21 PM

Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East (26876 Views)

Elders Bowing for 17-Year-Old Delta-King Chukwuka-Akaeze I / Five Things We Must Stop Doing As Nigerians / Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Fulaman198(m): 6:58pm On Sep 11, 2012
MsDarkSkin: denials denials.

keep them coming.

Not one person is convinced but you and your sidekick pagan.

lol you nor well.

All the Nigerians are agreeing with me, it is only you and your fellow Americans/Westerners
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Fulaman198(m): 6:59pm On Sep 11, 2012
somalia2: slaves

For once, I have to actually quote this, in a way some people have become Mind slaves of the Western World, especially those who think it is ok and fine for Nigerians and other Africans to lose their culture in favour of another.
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:12pm On Sep 11, 2012
Fulaman198:

All the Nigerians are agreeing with me, it is only you and your fellow Americans/Westerners

consign 100%. whats up with this akatas as ifwe care for their useless opnion. they should teach us about p.ornography and drugs because that is all they know. angry angry angry angry
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:14pm On Sep 11, 2012
somalia2: slaves

truly. thank you ayanle. his shows a good outsiders opinion.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by somalia3: 8:07pm On Sep 11, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

truly. thank you ayanle. his shows a good outsiders opinion.

Well it doesnt take much to see that. The weaves on your womens hair says much more than anything else.

and to be frank with you, its normal to be a slave today, if you were a slave in the past, since everything you are today was because of white people.

You guys entire perspective on life is through the eyes of slavery. So much so that you guys have become a caricature of yourselfs.

look at black women taking names like, shaniqua, kiki,lmao...everything you people touch the rest of the world runs from.

to top it off, you guys claim every people. SOMALIS, ETHIOPIANS. People should claim you, not you claiming them. That tells me you guys have nothing.

Still laughing at SOMALIS ARE BLACK......

black is what the white man calls you cause his skin is white. your nationality is a border picked by whites. go by your ethniciities.

thats how we do it in the horn of africa, middle east, rest of the world.
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Fulaman198(m): 8:18pm On Sep 11, 2012
somalia3:

Well it doesnt take much to see that. The weaves on your womens hair says much more than anything else.

and to be frank with you, its normal to be a slave today, if you were a slave in the past, since everything you are today was because of white people.

You guys entire perspective on life is through the eyes of slavery. So much so that you guys have become a caricature of yourselfs.

look at black women taking names like, shaniqua, kiki,lmao...everything you people touch the rest of the world runs from.

to top it off, you guys claim every people. SOMALIS, ETHIOPIANS. People should claim you, not you claiming them. That tells me you guys have nothing.

black is what the white man calls you cause his skin is white. your nationality is a border picked by whites. go by your ethniciities.

This is America you are talking about those names do not exist in Africa.

That said, those women I respect because they are trying to carve out a name for themselves separate from White American culture, although that is impossible because no matter how hard a black American tries to be an African, they are still an American. Their thought process and their behaviour is still American.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:31pm On Sep 11, 2012
somalia3:

Thank you brother. that is all i wanted. it is what ive been trying to teach fellow Africans for ages. who says we are black I am dark-brown. and i dont even care for my skin colour. All that matters is that i am Hausa.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by ezeagu(m): 8:32pm On Sep 11, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
it wont be long before even our woman go half-clad in the streets and our men jump around like clowns.

Kind of hypocritical since you're an extreme traditionalist and (Igbo) Nigerian women once dressed like this:

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by ezeagu(m): 8:37pm On Sep 11, 2012
I don't like carnivals being imported from the Caribbean into Nigeria. But the problem is not that they are from the Caribbean or the girls are dressed "sexily", but the fact that it's overshadowing the masquerading traditions that the carnivals came from in the first place (especially Ibibio, Efik Igbo).

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:38pm On Sep 11, 2012
ezeagu:

Kind of hypocritical since you're an extreme traditionalist and (Igbo) Nigerian women once dressed like this:

PAGAN 9JA:

my ancestors never roamed naked. i am Hausa. i agree some tribals do roam around with leaves and loincloths due to climate, etc., but BY THE GODS, none of them would ever do this with se.xual intentions as is done in the carnivals.

cmon who are you kiding? do those Igbo women look sexually explicit or go around in the streets for the sole purpose to flaunt their privates. also how can you compare it with this:

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:40pm On Sep 11, 2012
also you and i very well know what the difference is. you and I live in the modern world where people generally do not go around unclad in streets, unless in the bush among their own people.

the thinking/mentality in the past and among these bush-natves was/is very innocent. it was the norm of the days and one gets used to it, when you seeyour entire family dressed in the same way but the prupose here is certainly different. note also, the purposeful emphasis on private parts.
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by ezeagu(m): 8:42pm On Sep 11, 2012
No, they may (may) not have always had that intention, but what difference does it make if there's a woman naked because she's horny and another because she's hot when there are men with well working bodies everywhere?

And how have you all of a sudden remembered we live in a modern world? What does that have to do with tradition?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Fulaman198(m): 8:46pm On Sep 11, 2012
ezeagu: I don't like carnivals being imported from the Caribbean into Nigeria. But the problem is not that they are from the Caribbean or the girls are dressed "sexily", but the fact that it's overshadowing the masquerading traditions that the carnivals came from in the first place (especially Ibibio, Efik Igbo).

Sure there are different types of festivities in different cultures.

In Fulani Mbororo society we have Gerewol and Cure Salée

In Hausa society they have Argungu

In Touareg society they have Cure Salée and other things as well

So in the Sahel and Sahara there are many festivities as well as in other parts of West Africa. The thing is, we do not call it Carnival, we call it something else. For Nigerians to copy a name like "Carnival" is an embarrassment
etc. etc.

We have different names

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:48pm On Sep 11, 2012
ezeagu: No, they may (may) not have always had that intention, but what difference does it make if there's a woman naked because she's Hot and another because she's hot when there are men with well working bodies everywhere?

no times progress. do you still use a gramophone in your home today NO. first of all we use cds/dvds and it wont fit in a gramophone. in the same way, in the past people, had different mentality. they never got h.orny when they saw their people around them half-clad becaue they have been seeing it since childhood. you can yourself try and go to the bush and see natives there. the hardly care. its part of their life. apart from that, also they are not even exposed to p.ornographic content in the form of ads, online content, camouflaged in movies and everywhere around you, which again makes all the difference.

Today, do you find Igbo women in the city who go around un-clad NO. because times have changed. the uncladness is not applicable in todays modern city-life just like the gramophone i described. you see now?

And how have you all of a sudden remembered we live in a modern world? What does that have to do with tradition?

What tradition !!!! the clothes worn by Igbo women in those days was not tradition or culural clothes! LWKMD! that was the only form of clothes they had!!!!

so are you telling me that for these carnival women, roaming unclad is part of their day-to-day lifestyle angry

you see the difference now? these carnival women roam around unclad only once a year in a city clearly filld with pople who are not acustomed to uncladness. the purpose in this case is very clear. .
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Fulaman198(m): 8:55pm On Sep 11, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

no times progress. do you still use a gramophone in your home today NO. first of all we use cds/dvds and it wont fit in a gramophone. in the same way, in the past people, had different mentality. they never got h.orny when they saw their people around them half-clad becaue they have been seeing it since childhood. you can yourself try and go to the bush and see natives there. the hardly care. its part of their life. apart from that, also they are not even exposed to p.ornographic content in the form of ads, online content, camouflaged in movies and everywhere around you, which again makes all the difference.

Today, do you find Igbo women in the city who go around un-clad NO. because times have changed. the uncladness is not applicable in todays modern city-life just like the gramophone i described. you see now?

What tradition !!!! the clothes worn by Igbo women in those days was not tradition or culural clothes! LWKMD! that was [b]the only form [/b]of clothes they had!!!!

so are you telling me that for these carnival women, roaming unclad is part of their day-to-day lifestyle angry

That's the thing, city Africans are "Westernized" not "Modernized". The mistake people make is that being Westernized means being Modernized.

Some of us were raised in villages, some raised in cities. I find it very astonishing how City Africans no nothing about the bush or desert. They know nothing of snakes, scorpions, plants used to treat wounds and sickness, etc.

They know nothing of hunting that it is quite disgraceful, but yet when you talk to them about people like D'Banj or Jay-Z they get all over-interested. I don't even consider those kinds of Africans "African".

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:58pm On Sep 11, 2012
thereis a difference between culture and history/historical tech. We Traditonalists are not against progress an development. however we want to preserve that traits and chracteristics such as dance, music, language, religion, etc. which has nothing to do with progess and development. today for example, JApanese do all of the above cultural stuff but that does that stop/hinder them rom using a mobile phone or driving a car or inventing taling and self-watering toilets

1 Share

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:01pm On Sep 11, 2012
Fulaman198:

That's the thing, city Africans are "Westernized" not "Modernized". [size=32pt]The mistake people make is that being Westernized means being Modernized [/size].

Some of us were raised in villages, some raised in cities. I find it very astonishing how City Africans no nothing about the bush or desert. They know nothing of snakes, scorpions, plants used to treat wounds and sickness, etc.

They know nothing of hunting that it is quite disgraceful, but yet when you talk to them about people like D'Banj or Jay-Z they get all over-interested. I don't even consider those kinds of Africans "African".

[size=32pt]GBAM![/size]

i am a Maguzawa Hausa to the extent that i admit i am fanatic about it. but has that stopped me from living and working in the u.k. in a work-place

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Fulaman198(m): 9:02pm On Sep 11, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
thereis a differencebetween culture and history. We Traditonalists are not against progress an development. however we want to preserve that traits and chracteristics such as dance, music, language, religion, etc. which has nothing to do with progess and development. today for example, JApanese do all of the above cultural stuff but that does that stop/hinder them rom using a mobile phone or riving a car

Exactly and dress as well in addition to the dance, music, language and religion things you mentioned.

I hate it when someone tells me to wear a suit when my traditional clothing is not a suit, or when someone tells me to speak English when my mother tongue isn't English. The worst are the city people who don't speak 1 kobo of their native tongue. Try talking to most city dwelling Fulani in NW Nigeria and all they speak is Hausa, the only thing they can say in Fulfulde is "A waali jam" then it goes to the "barka dai, lafiya" etc. etc. crap

No offense to Hausa language because I know you are Hausa Pagan bro, I just don't like it when I see people not knowing their language.
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:03pm On Sep 11, 2012
Fulaman198:
Try talking to most city dwelling Fulani in NW Nigeria and all they speak is Hausa, the only thing they can say in Fulfulde is "A waali jam" then it goes to the "barka dai, lafiya" etc. etc. crap

No offense to Hausa language because I know you are Hausa Pagan bro, I just don't like it when I see people not knowing their language.

none taken.

*smh i dey laf at this baboons.
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Fulaman198(m): 9:03pm On Sep 11, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

[size=32pt]GBAM![/size]

i am a Maguzawa Hausa to the extent that i admit i am fanatic about it. but has that stopped me from living and working in the u.k. in a work-place

Exactly, same can be said about all Nigerians living abroad. The problem is that most Nigerians living in the U.K or the States want to be either British or American so badly. When you hear them speak it is really disgusting

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:10pm On Sep 11, 2012
Fulaman198:

Exactly, same can be said about all Nigerians living abroad. The problem is that most Nigerians living in the U.K or the States want to be either British or American so badly. When you hear them speak it is really disgusting

yes i meet that kind all the time.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by ezeagu(m): 9:17pm On Sep 11, 2012
Do you think if European ideas of sexuality didn't hit Nigeria that in the baking heat women wouldn't still be unclad? Wearing a blouse and sweating through it on the bus isn't progression, in fact people (well, some feminists) in the west are trying to desexualise breasts which has affected even mothers nursing their babies. People on a tropical beach in some rich island/city nation wear skimpy clothing while using top of the range smartphones, cameras, and other devices, no?
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Fulaman198(m): 9:19pm On Sep 11, 2012
ezeagu: Do you think if European ideas of sexuality didn't hit Nigeria that in the baking heat women wouldn't still be unclad? Wearing a blouse and sweating through it on the bus isn't progression, in fact people (well, some feminists) in the west are trying to desexualise breasts which has affected even mothers nursing their babies. People on a tropical beach in some rich island/city nation wear skimpy clothing while using top of the range smartphones, cameras, and other devices, no?

The thing is that women have been unclad in some traditional cultures for some time

For example in many bush Fulani cultures, women breast feed their children in open public.

In the Western world, some people see that sort of thing as sexual. No one really cares if you are unclad in traditional cultures because they see it all the time. But those with Western mentality view being unclad as a s.exual thing.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:23pm On Sep 11, 2012
Fulaman198:

The thing is that women have been unclad in some traditional cultures for some time

For example in many bush Fulani cultures, women breast feed their children in open public.

In the Western world, some people see that sort of thing as sexual. No one really cares if you are unclad in traditional cultures because they see it all the time. But those with Western mentality view being unclad as a s.exual thing.

yes exactly! for example, i have seen some Asian men holding hands and walking on the streets. but it is not seen as gay in their culture. its just a sign of friendship . i have seen many of them do that.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:25pm On Sep 11, 2012
ezeagu: Do you think if European ideas of sexuality didn't hit Nigeria that in the baking heat women wouldn't still be unclad? Wearing a blouse and sweating through it on the bus isn't progression, in fact people (well, some feminists) in the west are trying to desexualise breasts which has affected even mothers nursing their babies. People on a tropical beach in some rich island/city nation wear skimpy clothing while using top of the range smartphones, cameras, and other devices, no?

so will you go into the water with your heavy-set pants on to drag you down into the depths. talk sense. what has this got to do with what we are discussing.
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by ezeagu(m): 9:43pm On Sep 11, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

so will you go into the water with your heavy-set pants on to drag you down into the depths. talk sense. what has this got to do with what we are discussing.

Climate. The reason why people wear sarongs and bras on Miami beach, is the same reason why people are topless in the equatorial forest.
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:47pm On Sep 11, 2012
ezeagu:

Climate. The reason why people wear sarongs and bras on Miami beach, is the same reason why people are topless in the equatorial forest.

so whos denying did i say that they are in the wrong i am talkng about this public stripping for se.xual puposes that takes place at this carnival and which must not be copied by us Nigerians. angry

e.g., in many arab countries, swimwear is allowed in beaches but is banned on the streets.
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by MrsChima1(f): 9:56pm On Sep 11, 2012
ezeagu:

Bless your heart. It is hard to speak sense to dummies huh? cheesy

You have to understand common sense is no longer common these days.
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:07pm On Sep 11, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

Bless your heart. It is hard to speak sense to dummies huh? cheesy

You have to understand common sense is no longer common these days.

shut up and stop interupting in between into selective posts. i have given a reply above. angry

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by Fulaman198(m): 10:11pm On Sep 11, 2012
ezeagu:

That isn't true, try wearing skimpy clothes in 48.89 °C which is 120°F for you Americans in the Sahara/Sahel and see how the weather deals with you.

There is a reason why people wear turbans and long clothes. That is to protect their bodies from the winds and harsh sands that are blown. In many really hot places skimpy clothing is not the preferred kind of dress.

Often people are unclad in the Bush is because they don't have the money for clothes. Nothing to do with climate. At least that is how it is Fulani bush/desert culture.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:14pm On Sep 11, 2012
Fulaman198:

That isn't true, try wearing skimpy clothes in 48.89 °C which is 120°F for you Americans in the Sahara/Sahel and see how the weather deals with you.

There is a reason why people wear turbans and long clothes. That is to protect their bodies from the winds and harsh sands that are blown. In many really hot places skimpy clothing is not the preferred kind of dress.

Often people are unclad in the Bush is because they don't have the money for clothes. Nothing to do with climate. At least that is how it is Fulani bush/desert culture.

the long clothes and facial covering and turban, in the Sahel my friend, is as you said , mainly to protect from dusty sandstorms. forest tribals were less clothes due to tropical sweaty/humid climate which is lso hot. you obviously cant wear a fur coat over there.
Re: Nigerians And Other Africans Must Stop Bowing Down To Westerners And Middle East by ezeagu(m): 10:46pm On Sep 11, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

so whos denying did i say that they are in the wrong i am talkng about this public stripping for se.xual puposes that takes place at this carnival and which must not be copied by us Nigerians. angry

e.g., in many arab countries, swimwear is allowed in beaches but is banned on the streets.

But you see, the point is that some of these West African festivals were sexual in nature, some had women naked specifically because of sexuality. I understand your point of sexualising nudity in the sense of massive orgies taking place everywhere, or the spread of diseases. My initial reply to you was only to point out that you can't be a traditionalist and be against nudity.

Fulaman198:

If people in the forest wanted they'd dress like this:

[img]http://2.bp..com/-cS9cPHNZDyY/TcCLZlYNzUI/AAAAAAAAAVo/FkHOhLfaMUU/s1600/Igwe.jpg[/img]

But even wearing a t-shirt in the humid forest (the Sahel isn't humid like a rain forest) will leave you drenched in sweat.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Olubadan Of Ibadanland Lands In London In Style. Photos / Olubadan's Wife, Kudirat Aduke Is Dead / Brazilian Man Eulogize Ifa And Masquerade In Yoruba . Photos & Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.