Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,042 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:34 AM

Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology - Health (183) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology (878922 Views)

Ultrasound Machine Training On Obstetrics Pregnancy & Pelvic Scan in 2016 / Questions And Answers In Obstetrics, Gynaecology And Reproductive Health Issues / Re: Doctor In The House:obstetrics And Gynecology (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (180) (181) (182) (183) (184) (185) (186) ... (284) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 5:50pm On Aug 12, 2015
dexcira:
hi omicron. God bless u for your services here. my sis is havn a whitish vagina discharge (doesn't smell) she has gone for test one showed growth of staph. she has taken injections(ceftriaxone) etc and even different drugs and inserts .but to no avail. pls what can we do. this has lasted for like months now? can u prescribe a strong injection for her that can stop d discharge or can I pm u? tnx
Hi,

Thanks for your blessing.

First, please disregard lab results claiming you have Staph.

Your sis needs to be investigated by a competent personel. It is most likely she is having candidiasis with some underlying predisposing factors such as low immunity or overweight or some drugs.

Importantly, consumption of broad-spectrum antibiotics such as ceftriaxone is a risk factor for candidiasis.

However, there are other probabilities.

Unfortunately, I do not prescribe non over-the-counter drugs here.

All the best.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 5:56pm On Aug 12, 2015
Kudibaby:
hello Dr Omicron,may God bless you for the good work,pls interpreted this scan result for me.
the uterus is bulky,there is a well circumscribed heterogeneous predominantly hypo-echoic mass with a brocid based attached to the anterior myometrium,measuring 6.3x5.3cm in dimension. The remaining myometrium is preserved.
The right andexium harbours an ovoid cystic mass lesion measuring 4.0x3.8cm with low level echoes seen within it.The left adnexium is within normal limits.
Other pelvic organs are normal sonographically.
Conclusion Subserosal Fibroid
Right Ovarian Cyst
kindly explain the result and tell me what to do as I am TTC.
thanks.
Hi,

Subserosal fibroid is a fibroid that grows just below the uppermost layers of the womb. They usually do not affect fertility.

You need to follow up the ovarian cysts by further scans (if this is the first scan showing it) and hormone assay.

All the best.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by dexcira(f): 6:21pm On Aug 12, 2015
omicron:
Hi,

Thanks for your blessing.

First, please disregard lab results claiming you have Staph.

Your sis needs to be investigated by a competent personel. It is most likely she is having candidiasis with some underlying predisposing factors such as low immunity or overweight or some drugs.

Importantly, consumption of broad-spectrum antibiotics such as ceftriaxone is a risk factor for candidiasis.

However, there are other probabilities.

Unfortunately, I do not prescribe non over-the-counter drugs here.

All the best.
tnx dr. I sent u a pm
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 7:29pm On Aug 12, 2015
omicron:
Thanks.

Yea, it is perfectly normal once in a while, especially following a longer-than-usual period of abstinence.

Nothing to be worried about.
smiley ok thanks
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Kudibaby(f): 7:54pm On Aug 12, 2015
omicron:
Hi,

Subserosal fibroid is a fibroid that grows just below the uppermost layers of the womb. They usually do not affect fertility.

You need to follow up the ovarian cysts by further scans (if this is the first scan showing it) and hormone assay.

All the best.
thanks Dr may God bless you,actually this is not the first scan showing the cyst,in fact the last one showed a multilocular cyst with septation and the size has also reduced compare to the previous. Thanks once again

1 Like

Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by truemommy: 9:18am On Aug 13, 2015
[quote author=omicron post=36886976]Ok.

Then your progesterone level is low for Day 21, suggesting a lack of ovulation for that cycle.

PID is mainly a clinical diagnosis. Lab tests are supportive. Cardinal symtoms of chronic PID are pelvic pain (waist and lower abdomen), vaginal discharge, menstrual irregularities and subfertility. And the doctor can, on examination, elicit many other signs.

Supportive laboratory tests include Endocervical swab, ECS (Not High Vaginal Swab, HVS!), pelvic scan and HSG (if subfertile)

Treatment is with at least a 2-week duration of effective antibiotics, as well as management of any complications
[/quote

Good morning and thanks doc. for your quick response and your time. May God meet you at the point of your needs. Amen.

I wanted to do TVS but the question is will TVS show if I have PID? what is the difference between pelvic scan and TVS? When can I do both?

Apologies for all these questions sir.

Thanks.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 1:18pm On Aug 13, 2015
Hello Doctor, please what is the cause of a left groin pain that radiates to the left back and left leg after a month of miscarriage that involved a D and C. Anxiously waiting for your reply please
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 7:53am On Aug 14, 2015
[quote author=truemommy post=36906736][/quote]TVS is transvaginal ultrasound. It's a method of doing a Pelvic scan.

It could show some evidence of a PID.

But you must see your doctor for diagnosis.

All the best
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 7:58am On Aug 14, 2015
laralabelle:
Hello Doctor, please what is the cause of a left groin pain that radiates to the left back and left leg after a month of miscarriage that involved a D and C. Anxiously waiting for your reply please
Hi,

There are many possible causes, which may be related to the D and C or not. Any other symptoms associated with this pain?

The commonest possibility following a D and C is PID.

See your doctor, you will give more history, have an examination and some investigations.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by truemommy: 9:05am On Aug 14, 2015
omicron:
TVS is transvaginal ultrasound. It's a method of doing a Pelvic scan.

It could show some evidence of a PID.

But you must see your doctor for diagnosis.

All the best

Thanks Doc. but what is the best time for do TVS. OR would you rather i do pelvic scan?
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 9:13am On Aug 14, 2015
omicron:
Hi,

There are many possible causes, which may be related to the D and C or not. Any other symptoms associated with this pain?

The commonest possibility following a D and C is PID.

See your doctor, you will give more history, have an examination and some investigations. Thanks alot Doctor. I do not have any other symptom. I told my doctor and he suspected pid, he then placed me on ciprotab for 10 days, the symptoms left for like 3days and then came back again. Could it have been that ciprotab isn't effective enough for such or what?

Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 11:18am On Aug 14, 2015
truemommy:

Thanks Doc. but what is the best time for do TVS. OR would you rather i do pelvic scan?
Both of them are the same thing.

You can do them anytime.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 11:22am On Aug 14, 2015
Laralabelle,

Ciprotab is effective for PID. But usually, it is not taken alone. There are other organisms causing PID against which ciprofloxacin may not be effective.

You should report back to your doctor.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by truemommy: 11:57am On Aug 14, 2015
omicron:
Both of them are the same thing.

You can do them anytime.

Thanks Doc.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 12:24pm On Aug 14, 2015
omicron:
Laralabelle,

Ciprotab is effective for PID. But usually, it is not taken alone. There are other organisms causing PID against which ciprofloxacin may not be effective.

You should report back to your doctor.
ok. Thanks a lot!
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by guifeibao: 4:52pm On Aug 14, 2015
good day and happy weekend to everyone.

congrats to those with pregnancy news and congrats in advance to those whose testimonies are going to be served soon.

call or mail olamiposisquare@gmail.com to get your guifei bao.

Thank you.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by abracadabraspec(f): 7:12am On Aug 15, 2015
omicron:
I understand how you feel, but really actively ttc since March is not enough to panick.

Relax your mind. At least when you have tried for up to 6 months, you may begin by doing the basic tests of fertility.

All the best.
It's really frustrating after TTC since March and still no result, even my period doesn't have Ǻ specific cycle though it comes every month, (of I sud start my period today it will end d nxt day) d tot of dat alone is sad and I don't see any fertile symptom via my vaginal discharge, I only saw it once early dis year.
Pls is dere any fertility drugs u can prescribe dat can be of help?
Pls I really need urgent help.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by fearless07(f): 9:51pm On Aug 16, 2015
Good day. Pls what is the possible cause of pain in the left lower abdomen. Pelvic scan says all is ok, hvs and urine mcs have also been done and antibiotics taken but still the pain remains. There is no discharge nor itching. The pain is slight but enough to make one notice that it is there. What other tests can one run and do you have a clue of what is responsible for this pain?
p.s - this pain has been there for like 6 months. The last test was done in May. Scan read all is ok but hvs and urine mcs said bacteria which was treated with antibiotics. ( penicillin and levofloxacin)Thanks.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by irawo15(f): 1:09pm On Aug 17, 2015
Pls my 6yrs old complained about viginal hurt 6mnth ago and i took her to hospital the scan was done which reveal infection and she was treated. But the pain is back again now, pls what can be done again?
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 5:17pm On Aug 17, 2015
abracadabraspec:

It's really frustrating after TTC since March and still no result, even my period doesn't have Ǻ specific cycle though it comes every month, (of I sud start my period today it will end d nxt day) d tot of dat alone is sad and I don't see any fertile symptom via my vaginal discharge, I only saw it once early dis year.
Pls is dere any fertility drugs u can prescribe dat can be of help?
Pls I really need urgent help.
Hi,

You have to calm down and stop being anxious.

Taking fertility drugs arbitrarily is not recommended, and could complicate things.

You can ask your doctor for a fertility work-up and take it from there.

All the best
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 5:27pm On Aug 17, 2015
fearless07:
Good day. Pls what is the possible cause of pain in the left lower abdomen. Pelvic scan says all is ok, hvs and urine mcs have also been done and antibiotics taken but still the pain remains. There is no discharge nor itching. The pain is slight but enough to make one notice that it is there. What other tests can one run and do you have a clue of what is responsible for this pain?
p.s - this pain has been there for like 6 months. The last test was done in May. Scan read all is ok but hvs and urine mcs said bacteria which was treated with antibiotics. ( penicillin and levofloxacin)Thanks.

Good evening,

Well, it is hard to say what could be wrong specifically.

Chronic PID already sounds like a cliche, even though it still remains a strong possibility in this case despite the antibiotics and the clean ultrasound report. Other strong possibilites include pelvic adhesions, and an entity called "chronic pelvic pain syndrome" which medically is not well understood, has no cure and thought to be psychological by some authorities.

Adhesions are very likely. Sadly, there is no way to diagnose them apart from laparoscopic or open surgery.

Treat the pain symtomatically, stop focusing on it or associating it with a ttc status (ie, trying to remove a possible psychological input to this pain), and discuss with your gynaecologist to ensure proper investigation.

All the best
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 5:36pm On Aug 17, 2015
irawo15:
Pls my 6yrs old complained about viginal hurt 6mnth ago and i took her to hospital the scan was done which reveal infection and she was treated. But the pain is back again now, pls what can be done again?
Hi,

Take the child back to the hospital for investigations and treatment.

However, such cases as this raise suspicions of something wrong somewhere.

True genital infections are rare in sexually inactive children, though they can sometimes have vaginal candidiasis especially the fat ones, or those who often take antibiotics.

Is it possible that she, a fellow child or an adult is abusing her (self)?

1 Like

Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by irawo15(f): 12:30pm On Aug 18, 2015
omicron:
Hi,

Take the child back to the hospital for investigations and treatment.

However, such cases as this raise suspicions of something wrong somewhere.

True genital infections are rare in sexually inactive children, though they can sometimes have vaginal candidiasis especially the fat ones, or those who often take antibiotics.

Is it possible that she, a fellow child or an adult is abusing her (self)?

Thanks for the response. let me state here that i noticed all these went I used her potty to pee during labour of which i used to have infections durn pregy,so befor i can disinfect it she used it because i was still in hospital. I think i infected her couple with the fact that she is fat. But as u suggest will take her back to hospital. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by VickJames(m): 2:55pm On Aug 18, 2015
Hi doctors,
Can a girl miss her period for up to three months without being pregnant?
Note: she is feeling weak, pale and eating more than normal.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by yemitosin(f): 4:51pm On Aug 18, 2015
Hi i stop breastfeeding my baby for more than two months now but my period refuse to return. Should i be worried caused it took me time to conceive my first baby due to irregular period.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 7:40pm On Aug 18, 2015
VickJames:
Hi doctors,

Can a girl miss her period for up to three months without being pregnant?

Note: she is feeling weak, pale and eating more than normal.
Yes, it is possible. There are other causes of missed periods asides pregnancy. How old is she? When did she see her first ever period? Any other symptom?

However, if she is sexually active, let her do a pregnancy test. Until proven otherwise, pregnancy is assumed.

If negative let her see her doctor.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 7:49pm On Aug 18, 2015
yemitosin:
Hi i stop breastfeeding my baby for more than two months now but my period refuse to return. Should i be worried caused it took me time to conceive my first baby due to irregular period.

How long did you breastfeed?
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by VickJames(m): 8:01pm On Aug 18, 2015
omicron:
Yes, it is possible. There are other causes of missed periods asides pregnancy. How old is she? When did she see her first ever period? Any other symptom?

However, if she is sexually active, let her do a pregnancy test. Until proven otherwise, pregnancy is assumed.

If negative let her see her doctor.

She is 21years old. She's eating too much lately. They said she looks pale and always feel weak or better still lazy.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 8:13pm On Aug 18, 2015
VickJames:

She is 21years old. She's eating too much lately. They said she looks pale and always feel weak or better still lazy.
Ok. Has she done a pregnancy test.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by VickJames(m): 8:20pm On Aug 18, 2015
omicron:
Ok. Has she done a pregnancy test.

She hasn't. We have been convincing her to do the test but she thinks she isn't pregnant.

We feel she's pregnant because of some of the symptoms she's exhibiting. What are the chances that she's pregnant?
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by yemitosin(f): 9:15pm On Aug 18, 2015
How long did you breastfeed?
I breastfeed for ten months. He actually stop by himself then
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omicron(m): 10:48pm On Aug 18, 2015
VickJames:

She hasn't. We have been convincing her to do the test but she thinks she isn't pregnant.

We feel she's pregnant because of some of the symptoms she's exhibiting. What are the chances that she's pregnant?
Pregnancy test is the first thing to do.

(1) (2) (3) ... (180) (181) (182) (183) (184) (185) (186) ... (284) (Reply)

How Do I Calculate My Safe Period? / Anyone Trying IVF/IUI/ICSI (Fertility Treatments)? / NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.