Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,341 members, 7,811,990 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:08 AM

Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. (13980 Views)

7 Sins That Lead To Self-destruction: Christians Must Avoid. / God Is Not Looking At Your Sins To Judge You / Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by solbil: 6:10pm On Oct 28, 2012
do you think pentecostals have problems with confession? No they do not! The only reason they are saying what they are saying is becos they just cannot put up with the idea of leting someone else know what bad thing they have done.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by greedie1(f): 6:23pm On Oct 28, 2012
Mintayo:

no priest or pastor has d power to forgive our sins but God through d blood of Jesus!
The problem wit catholic priest as you have rightly said is dt they do not give glory to God. Another thing you should note that ppl going to them have turnd them into a God believing that 1s they go to this priest their sin hav bin 4given and most times these pp com back to the priest with the same sin or even worse since what they v 2do is confess 2d priest whereas the blood of Jesus cleanse and washes us completely from our sins!
What James 5:13-16 is saying is that when you want to pray,ensure you confess your sin and repent of them b4 u pray so that the sin will nt stand as an hinderance to your prayers 4m bin answered!
The problems with we xtain of these days is dt we are very lazy to study d Bible and seek the face of God instead we take a particular passage of scriptues and dwell mightly on it- which is wrong!
Very long time ago,when England and some other european countries wanted 2 invade a jewish country,they went to the pope then and dpope 4gave dem their past sin and d sin they were abt to commit,as a results there invaders committed so much attrocities and so many unimaginable sins!

you say only God can forgive, quite true! But what he does through his priest is d doing of his own power, do u disagree? Take a moment to ans cz if you say yes, then you are invariably saying that eg when men of God, heal, preach in God's name, its not actually God but their name.

Since you understand d bible so well, what do u think Jesus was trying to teach wen He (as a mortal) told a sick man ... Ur sins have been forgiven, arise, take up ur bed and walk...? He showed that d power to forgive sin can be exerted not only in heaven but no earth... He have this power to peter when He told peter... I give u the keys to the kingdom of heaven.. The power to bind and loose, to forgive is judicial, it was given to the apostles (priests), not all followers of Jesus.

Do you think the apostles power to forgive sin ended when they died? Dat it wasnt granted them in their official capacities nd so a permanent institution of the church? If so, do you mean that the power to baptize ended dem too and that its wrong for priests, pastors, yes pastors to baptize in God's name? Or do u reject some, not all authorities vested by God to his disciples as it pleases you? Pray answer
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by mediainspired: 6:30pm On Oct 28, 2012
aryzgreat, gree-die, ogasnow, jamp &other catholics on dis thread, let us hear d summary of d Bible: EXCEPT A MAN BE BORN AGAIN, HE CANNOT SEE D KINGDOM OF GOD. Except u are born of the Spirit (genuinely repenting &confessing ur sins to God thru Jesus) &of water (baptism in a river), &u live a holy life, u cannot go to heaven or see God. Stop following doctrines or historical extra teachings of so-called saints. Stick to the Bible. It shuld be ur only standard &reference. Read it urself &clear ur mind of ur 'priest.s' or 'father's' interpretatn. Then d HOLY SPIRIT WIL MINISTER TO U. Afta den dat d Holy Spirit enters into u, NOBODY WIL TELL U TO SEARCH D SCRIPTURES MORE URSELF &SEEK D TRUTH they've hidden 4rm all these years u thru false indoctrinations

2 Likes

Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by greedie1(f): 6:38pm On Oct 28, 2012
honeric01:

These passage was for every believer and not to peter alone, you need the holy spirit asap.
you need the holy spirit rnrn( right now right now)

so you are saying dat if Gej gives seun an authority, you automatically have d authority cz you are a nairalander?? Have you heard about ranks, level of spirituality? You should cz penticostals believe in it alot... Daddy is the MOG and G.O, only daddy can bless the handkerchief and lay hands on the sick...

there you go again, interpreting d scriptures according to your ignorance. Smh
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by mediainspired: 6:42pm On Oct 28, 2012
BTW, hav u pondered on wat culd possibly be d scandal d former buttler to d pope wanted to reveal, which dey hav now swept under d rug? If there was nothing to hide (like we've always heard about nuns & 'priests'), why didnt dey allow him talk? I'v known some so-called 'priests' & 'fathers' in private wit violent tempers &secret sins, but pretend to be sheep &doves to their followers. Why? U cannot be innately holy except the Spirit of God is in u (born-again). We've heard of revelatns of a Pope that is in hell. BEWARE!!! Dis is both an injuncntn &a warning. Establish a direct relationship wit ur creator, witout any intermediaries (which is idolatory). May God open ur eyes dat u ppl ar in grave error, b4 it!s too late in Jesus' name (Amen). Even d real Mary in heaven is weeping for millions of misled catholics...
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by greedie1(f): 6:42pm On Oct 28, 2012
mediainspired: aryzgreat, gree-die, ogasnow, jamp &other catholics on dis thread, let us hear d summary of d Bible: EXCEPT A MAN BE BORN AGAIN, HE CANNOT SEE D KINGDOM OF GOD. Except u are born of the Spirit (genuinely repenting &confessing ur sins to God thru Jesus) &of water (baptism in a river), &u live a holy life, u cannot go to heaven or see God. Stop following doctrines or historical extra teachings of so-called saints. Stick to the Bible. It shuld be ur only standard &reference. Read it urself &clear ur mind of ur 'priest.s' or 'father's' interpretatn. Then d HOLY SPIRIT WIL MINISTER TO U. Afta den dat d Holy Spirit enters into u, NOBODY WIL TELL U TO SEARCH D SCRIPTURES MORE URSELF &SEEK D TRUTH they've hidden 4rm all these years u thru false indoctrinations

i dont know if its in the scripture but wat i have to tell you is this : remove the log in your eye so you can see better the speck in mine!

How can a blind man lead the one eyed? Eh?
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by UjSizzle(f): 6:47pm On Oct 28, 2012
chukwudi44: New International Version (©1984)
Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.

This
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by greedie1(f): 6:55pm On Oct 28, 2012
mediainspired: BTW, hav u pondered on wat culd possibly be d scandal d former buttler to d pope wanted to reveal, which dey hav now swept under d rug? If there was nothing to hide (like we've always heard about nuns & 'priests'), why didnt dey allow him talk? I'v known some so-called 'priests' & 'fathers' in private wit violent tempers &secret sins, but pretend to be sheep &doves to their followers. Why? U cannot be innately holy except the Spirit of God is in u (born-again). We've heard of revelatns of a Pope that is in hell. BEWARE!!! Dis is both an injuncntn &a warning. Establish a direct relationship wit ur creator, witout any intermediaries (which is idolatory). May God open ur eyes dat u ppl ar in grave error, b4 it!s too late in Jesus' name (Amen). Even d real Mary in heaven is weeping for millions of misled catholics...

are we talking about the priests as humans susceptible to sin like you me, adebayo etc or are we talking abt the power vested on them by virtue of their calling and office?

Are you saying that paul, former saul isnt qualified to be a disciple cz of his formal lifestyle? Dat d apostles were sinless like God? Dat pastors are also without sin and when they build schs from tithes and charge exorbitant fees it isnt a sin? Or that priests have a higher responsibility than d ones mentioned above, you expect more from them and when they default, the catholic church which they represent looses its credence?? Your reasoning is faulty, i do not mean to insult, but the only word dat come to mind right now is "demented"

d last part about real mary in heaven, do u really mean dat you believe? Or is dat a typo you want to modify?
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by ijawcitizen(m): 6:58pm On Oct 28, 2012
I WOULD ADVICE CATHOLICS AND NON-CATHOLICS ALIKE TO READ AN UNBIASED PUBLICATION LIKE "CATHOLISM AND FUNDAMENTALISM" BY KARL KEATING

PLS DONT-AND I MEAN NEVER CRITICIZE WHAT YOU DONT UNDERSTAND. IT UNDERMINES UR LEVEL OF MATURITY AND OBJECTIVITY
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by greedie1(f): 7:07pm On Oct 28, 2012
ijaw citizen:

PLS DONT-AND I MEAN NEVER CRITICIZE WHAT YOU DONT UNDERSTAND. IT UNDERMINES UR LEVEL OF MATURITY AND OBJECTIVITY
word!
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by Autero: 7:32pm On Oct 28, 2012
Pls bro lecture this ignoramus, penticostalism was born out of disobedience, one man wakes up n understands the bible in a diff way n thats it, they pull out from the main n prosperity becomes the norm
gree-die:

are we talking about the priests as humans susceptible to sin like you me, adebayo etc or are we talking abt the power vested on them by virtue of their calling and office?

Are you saying that paul, former saul isnt qualified to be a disciple cz of his formal lifestyle? Dat d apostles were sinless like God? Dat pastors are also without sin and when they build schs from tithes and charge exorbitant fees it isnt a sin? Or that priests have a higher responsibility than d ones mentioned above, you expect more from them and when they default, the catholic church which they represent looses its credence?? Your reasoning is faulty, i do not mean to insult, but the only word dat come to mind right now is "demented"

d last part about real mary in heaven, do u really mean dat you believe? Or is dat a typo you want to modify?
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by God4moi: 7:34pm On Oct 28, 2012
Matthais: APOSTASY IS FORSAKING JESUS AND NOT THE CATHOLIC CHURCH. IT IS JESUS WHO IS THE ONLY WAY TO HEAVEN AND NOT THE CATHOLIC CHURCH OR MARY. JESUS SAID,"I AM THE WAY, THE TRUTH AND THE LIFE". sad

Is dat wat your bible said?

Quote the part that states 'I am the 'only' way'.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by greedie1(f): 7:39pm On Oct 28, 2012
Autero: Pls bro lecture this ignoramus, penticostalism was born out of disobedience, one man wakes up n understands the bible in a diff way n thats it, they pull out from the main n prosperity becomes the norm

i dont even want to go into dat, atleast not tonite or i may end up staying awake all nite... Des peeps no dey gree...

Isnt it written somewhere in the bible dat ..dey look but do not sleep and hear but do not understand...

Btw, its sis not bro
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by God4moi: 7:42pm On Oct 28, 2012
honeric01:

point of correction, i'm a christian and not a protestant or any iesh like that.
John 20 spoke about how Jesus appeared to his disciples and breathed on them, gave all of the present the power to forgive and retain sin just as the way we all have the power to pray, rebuke and command situations to change. Every true christian is Christ's representation on earth and we all have been given the power to be sons of God. We're equal and one in one body. Confess to one another is a command for all true christians.

The leaders, elders you're talking about is not for forgiving sins, rather they're for situations you handled on your own but still remains like sickness, lack and wants. The bible's there bro, read not like a novel, ask the holy spirit for understanding na.

Why do these 'situations' remain if u're truly equal in xtainity?

Are the elders hoiler? Or why didn't he say call somebody or anyxtain?
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by God4moi: 7:47pm On Oct 28, 2012
honeric01:

confess to one another, meaning every true christian is qualified and not only the 'priests'. Secondly, we're all priests in christ and his representatives on earth. So i don't really see why only 'ordained' priest remain the only people catholics confess to.

True! But why do we need pastors?
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by God4moi: 7:54pm On Oct 28, 2012
Matthais: Catholics give the most emphasis to the extra Biblical writings of the saints. They do not read the Bible. That was how many false theories entered the Roman Catholic denomination.

They are extrabiblical to you cos outa over 50,000 epistels, letters, and scrolls writen by early xtains you only have access to 54 so your knowledge is limited and that makes it understandable.

Incase you don't know there are 50 epistles and only 5 was collated to make the bible.

So when you read 5 accounts and I have 50 accounts to read and compare you'd say they are extra biblical and that's understandable. Your knowledge can only go as far as you know.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by uyplus(m): 7:59pm On Oct 28, 2012
Lookn up to Jesus da author n da finsher of my faith.. Nt lukn upto mary or saints..imagne sum1 teln me he intercedes thru mary wen Jesus said, I'm da way da truth n da life.. So, ow does mary cm into dt picture?? Sh wsnt da 1st 2 see da risen Jesus 1st, mary magdalene did!! If sh ws dt imprtnt as ya'll rant, y didn't Jesus call her 1st 2shw her he is risen??imagne sm1 on NL sayg mary wsnt born wit orignal sin.whr ws dt stated in da holy bible?. U onli blv wot da scripture states n nt assssume 4GOD wot he shd hv done.. Mary ws jst a vessel, nufn more 2dt!!sh is neva and wld neva b worth da hype.. U go abt sayg da pope is infallible, buh I tel u, helll NO..in da new covenant, we r all kings n priest.. Y confessss 2a human being??who is he??how can he forgv ma sins??as in??ds doctrine of da cathlcs is pure heresssy n fallacy!!
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by jes7: 8:02pm On Oct 28, 2012
1ndidi2: Every priest has been taken out of mankind and is appointed to act for men in their relations with God. to offer gifts and sacrifices for sins;and so he can sympathize with those who are ignorant or uncertain because he too lives in the limitations of weakness. That is why he has to make sin off
erings for himself as well as for the people. No one takes this honour on himself,but each one is called by God. Hebrews chapter 5.

You don't seem to understand Heb 5. The passage talks about the weakness and inefficacy of human priests, that is the reason Christ became a better high priest who offered himself a sacrifice once and for all and is continually in God's presence making intercession for believers. Read other passages in Hebrews and see why we don't need humans anymore to stand between us and God. Heb 7 vs 26 Jesus, then, is the High Priest that meets our needs. He is holy; he has no fault or sin in him; he has been set apart from sinners and raised above the heavens. 27 He is not like other high priests; he does not need to offer sacrifices every day for his own sins first and then for the sins of the people. He offered one sacrifice, once and for all, when he offered himself.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by God4moi: 8:07pm On Oct 28, 2012
honeric01:

These passage was for every believer and not to peter alone, you need the holy spirit asap.

Hmm. How come Paul recognised the Authourity of Peter since Jesus was speaking to every believer?
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by Pdizzle(m): 8:19pm On Oct 28, 2012
mediainspired: I keep praying for my catholic friends for God to open their eyes, be born again &become true xtians. One of d devil's greatest tool of deceit in human history is Catholicism (which, in its true sense, is not Christianity, but a cult). Their 'priest' hide Bible truths 4rm dem, &instead teach dem false doctrines &confuse dem by muddlin up &misinterpretin Bible doctrines. Their followers luv it too, cos it's a church of convenience. Wen catholics giv d excuses d 'priests' & 'fathers' confuse dem wit as justificatns 4dere questionable doctrines (confessin to anoda sinful man, idolatory via 'mary' &rosary etc), i shed tears 4dem. They hav very shallow knowledge of d Bible &of God. They're not in God's will
on the contrary, the catholic rev frs' av a very deep knowledge of the bible..they study for nine years,some eleven..dude wtf
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by God4moi: 8:23pm On Oct 28, 2012
uy plus: Lookn up to Jesus da author n da finsher of my faith.. Nt lukn upto mary or saints..imagne sum1 teln me he intercedes thru mary wen Jesus said, I'm da way da truth n da light.. So, ow does mary cm into dt picture?? Sh wsnt da 1 dt saw da risen Jesus 1st, mary magdalene did!! If sh ws dt imprtnt as ya'll rant, y didn't Jesus call her 1st 2shw her he is risen??imagne sm1 on NL sayg mary wsnt born wit orignal sin.. U onli blv wot da scripture states n nt assssume 4GOD wot he shd hv done.. Mary ws jst a vessel, nufn more 2dt!!sh is neva and wld neva b worth da hype.. U go abt sayg da pope os infallible, buh I tel u, helll NO..in da ne covenant, we r all kings n priest.. Y confessss 2a human being??who is he??how can he forgv ma sins??as in??ds doctrine of da cathlcs is pure heresssy n fallacy!!

If you're really speaking the truths why have you avoided my queries?

Same you've not explained your understanding of the fluence 'just vessel' took @ the wedding @ canaan?? If the wooden tabernacle was precious I wonder what he taught of a woman in his own image and likeness. I'm sure he'll reward you for treating her with so much disdain.

She didn't see Jesus the day he rose. But safe what you read is the koran then I'm sure you'd know she was in the room on the day of pentecost.

Yes we are all priests. What I wonder is why you all are not pastors seating on the alter during ur various programs?

And as for the pope been infallible in matters of faith. O yes he is! And that's why your mushroom lies can't prevail against it.

The religious leaders of isreal said thesame to Jesus. How can he forgive sins he's the son of a carpenter!

Before you make another comment respond to my earlier queries. grin
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by jes7: 8:27pm On Oct 28, 2012
ogasnow:

Will I trust an eternal institution whose history dates back to Jesus Christ himself, or a backwater assembly whose history is no more than 40-50 years old and whose growth is fuelled by ignorance an poverty?

Who to trust.....Who to trust.......

Trust the bible, the word of God. I don't understand the institution you are talking about. If you are referring to the church which is the body of Christ's true followers i.e those who are born again and are free from sin irrespective of where the worship, I agree with you, but if you are talking of a particular church that claims to have been founded by peter, I am sorry, you are wrong!
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by Pdizzle(m): 8:27pm On Oct 28, 2012
uy plus:

Charlatans.. Nw calln peter a pope.. Whr ws it recorded in da bible dt hs name is pope petr?? Cos da bible accorded da name apostle 2dem.. Catholiscm is falllacy n heressssy!! U burn incens 4who?? God?? Crazy!!!u jst say doctrinal crap.. U failed 2honour mary magdalene, cos sh ws da 1st 2seee da risen Jesus??& it wsnt virgn mary, n I wonda y sh is nt honoured tooo..Jesus loved evry1 equally, he didn't accord special luv n attentn 2any human!!and evn in da ryt hand of God da father, he stl maintains hs Godhead.. And u cathlcs sh stop sayg mary da mother of God, pls!!nt da God I serve anywy..sh wsnt da der wen God cr8td da heavens n da earth, and da bible makes me 2understand dt da trinity were all involved in cre8tn, so ws mary mothr of God afta cr8tn or b4?? Cos wen u say sh's da mothr of God, u'r telln me my Jesus jst came into existnc 2k yrs ago, n he wsnt God b4 mary existed..
what is someone who carries an infant in the womb for nine month called
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by Pebcak: 8:45pm On Oct 28, 2012
bros check this verse and you ll know that the one another refers to the anointed ones John 20:22-23 When he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.
honeric01:

Did you check the bolded too? why should it be the priest and not to anyone else?
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by jes7: 8:45pm On Oct 28, 2012
gree-die:

you say only God can forgive, quite true! But what he does through his priest is d doing of his own power, do u disagree? Take a moment to ans cz if you say yes, then you are invariably saying that eg when men of God, heal, preach in God's name, its not actually God but their name.

Since you understand d bible so well, what do u think Jesus was trying to teach wen He (as a mortal) told a sick man ... Ur sins have been forgiven, arise, take up ur bed and walk...? He showed that d power to forgive sin can be exerted not only in heaven but no earth... He have this power to peter when He told peter... I give u the keys to the kingdom of heaven.. The power to bind and loose, to forgive is judicial, it was given to the apostles (priests), not all followers of Jesus.

Do you think the apostles power to forgive sin ended when they died? Dat it wasnt granted them in their official capacities nd so a permanent institution of the church? If so, do you mean that the power to baptize ended dem too and that its wrong for priests, pastors, yes pastors to baptize in God's name? Or do u reject some, not all authorities vested by God to his disciples as it pleases you? Pray answer

Can you give any example in the bible where Peter, Paul or any of the apostles forgave sins? Why did the bible say we should come boldly to the throne of grace that we might obtain mercy heb 4 vs 16? The throne of grace is a direct access to God through Jesus Christ the ONLY mediator between man and God. 1 Timothy 2 vs 5
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by Smartiegurl(f): 8:48pm On Oct 28, 2012
Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter. Fear God nd keep his commandments. . . . . . .be u catholic or pentecostal.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by jes7: 8:49pm On Oct 28, 2012
"For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus" 1 Timothy 2 vs 5
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by God4moi: 8:50pm On Oct 28, 2012
jes7:

Can you give any example in the bible where Peter, Paul or any of the apostles forgave sins? Why did the bible say we should come boldly to the throne of grace that we might obtain mercy heb 4 vs 16? The throne of grace is a direct access to God through Jesus Christ the ONLY mediator between man and God. 1 Timothy 2 vs 5

Are you saying the Authourity Jesus gave was useless? Or that the apostles didn't use it?

Oga o!
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by God4moi: 8:55pm On Oct 28, 2012
Smartie gurl: Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter. Fear God nd keep his commandments. . . . . . .be u catholic or pentecostal.

And to add to it. If you're truly a xtain you'd be too busy fighting your way to God's throne than condeming others. Cos if you're truly holy your light will shine and you may draw people to God.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by nathdim: 8:56pm On Oct 28, 2012
who is adeboye compared 2 d pope he no know say level d
ey
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by ijawcitizen(m): 8:57pm On Oct 28, 2012
"CATHOLISM AND FUNDAMENTALISM" BY KARL KEATING IS THE ANSWER TO ALL YOUR PROBLEMS
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by God4moi: 9:04pm On Oct 28, 2012
ijaw citizen: "CATHOLISM AND FUNDAMENTALISM" BY KARL KEATING IS THE ANSWER TO ALL YOUR PROBLEMS

Please send me an e-copy (maryschol@yahoo.com)wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Pastor Chris Oyakilome's Phone Number / Cobwebs Attack / Lets Talk; Christians Dating Unbelievers.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.