Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,313 members, 7,811,932 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:01 AM

Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. (13979 Views)

7 Sins That Lead To Self-destruction: Christians Must Avoid. / God Is Not Looking At Your Sins To Judge You / Confessing Sins To A Priest , Right Or Wrong ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by ogasnow: 3:32pm On Oct 28, 2012
mediainspired: I keep praying for my catholic friends for God to open their eyes, be born again &become true xtians. One of d devil's greatest tool of deceit in human history is Catholicism (which, in its true sense, is not Christianity, but a cult). Their 'priest' hide Bible truths 4rm dem, &instead teach dem false doctrines &confuse dem by muddlin up &misinterpretin Bible doctrines. Their followers luv it too, cos it's a church of convenience. Wen catholics giv d excuses d 'priests' & 'fathers' confuse dem wit as justificatns 4dere questionable doctrines (confessin to anoda sinful man, idolatory via 'mary' &rosary etc), i shed tears 4dem. They hav very shallow knowledge of d Bible &of God. They're not in God's will

Will I trust an eternal institution whose history dates back to Jesus Christ himself, or a backwater assembly whose history is no more than 40-50 years old and whose growth is fuelled by ignorance an poverty?

Who to trust.....Who to trust.......
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by honeric01(m): 3:36pm On Oct 28, 2012
God4moi:

O boy read your bible properly jor. What was the first reference? ' Elders of the church' not just anybody the entire reference of 'one another' still refers to elders. And in the catholic setting that falls under the jurisdiction of the priest, bishops...

As a 'protestant' your elders may be your pastors and deacons and ...

point of correction, i'm a christian and not a protestant or any iesh like that.
John 20 spoke about how Jesus appeared to his disciples and breathed on them, gave all of the present the power to forgive and retain sin just as the way we all have the power to pray, rebuke and command situations to change. Every true christian is Christ's representation on earth and we all have been given the power to be sons of God. We're equal and one in one body. Confess to one another is a command for all true christians.

The leaders, elders you're talking about is not for forgiving sins, rather they're for situations you handled on your own but still remains like sickness, lack and wants. The bible's there bro, read not like a novel, ask the holy spirit for understanding na.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by fergusen: 3:40pm On Oct 28, 2012
zaragoza: You won't go to a priest for confession, then why go to a pastor for baptism? U insist on going to God directly, why not go to him for ur baptism?
if it's water baptism you are talking about, was it not John Dat baptised Jesus? Did he baptize himself? Jesus has set a perfect example to follow.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by honeric01(m): 3:43pm On Oct 28, 2012
jamp:

If. I can confess to u what is wrong in confessing to a priest?

confess to one another, meaning every true christian is qualified and not only the 'priests'. Secondly, we're all priests in christ and his representatives on earth. So i don't really see why only 'ordained' priest remain the only people catholics confess to.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by greedie1(f): 3:46pm On Oct 28, 2012
uy plus: 4nnny sets of ppl called catholcs..burnin incense lik pagans, prayg repeated pryrs,countn rosaries n wearn scapulars 4protectn, so dey say, blvn in saints dt neva existed n honourn em(in their wrds), prayg thru mary n adore her,buildn statues n cryg on statues, kpn pryr request lik sh's omnipresent.and I 1da if allcathlcs pray thru her at 12pm worldwide, who wld sh listen to 1st?is sh omnipresent, omnipotent or omniscient?.onli God is.den dey nw tel u da pope is infallible!! Wot a blv..whr did God eva say ders a man amongst u who is sinless.. Catholiscm is pure idolatry..blvn in wot da bible neva stated.. Imagne a catholc frnd tryg 2convinc me dt mary ascended 2heaven? Fallacy, n heressy!

dude/ babe, i read ur posts and i couldnt help but smh... You are too far gone! You are filled with so much hate i fear you may be infectious! Get a grip on yourself! I understand you do not like the catholic church but does that give u the right to write such blasphemous things? May God have pity on your soul, i will keep praying for you, i ll even solicit the intercession of Holy Mary on your behalf... GOD MUST SAVE YOU

@topic, i learnt early in life not to argue with non catholics about my faith, they ll come to their own conviction with time or keep wallowing their ignorance... How can i ever think of leaving the catholic church after reading the rants written by these ple? How can ple who claim to be holier insult another church? Write what you detest and move on instead of judging lest u are wrong and invite the wrath of God upon u!! At this rate, you all are worse than idol worshippers! An idol worshipper will not insult another religion, he will only say "worship your God while i worship my chi" why cant you all live and let live? Are you trying to convince us to join your wagon? Cz if dats your aim, im sorry it aint happening anytime soon, not even in d generation of ple who ll call me ancestor!
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by 49cents(m): 3:47pm On Oct 28, 2012
Funny none of the bible reading, catholic attacking Christians is yet to explain my earlier posts based on the scripture in John 20:21-22

Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.” And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive anyone’s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.”

What most hate is not "the Catholic church but what you believe is the Catholic Church" am quoting Cardinal Newman a convert from prostestantnism
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by Mintayo(m): 3:52pm On Oct 28, 2012
Debbie.o:
Well speaking from facts and what I was told when I was a catholic, whta I noticed firstly about Catholics (even when we r all christains n no offends) is that they r always quick to defend themselves, without actually thinking it through) u have the bible yet u refuse to open ur eyes n see for your selves.back then when I was a catholic I was told, we confess our sins to the priest and he in turn, prays to God on our behalf.what ever happened to the passage of the bible that says,I am the way, the truth and the light, no one comes to the father accept through me.besides after confession, u will b told by the priest to say (it depends on ur sins though) 10 hail marys, 5 our father n 3 glory be to the father, prayer.bck then I rember in my hrt am lk, is that all, hummm.well bt thank God for the bible o.I read passages my self before I was convicted to leave.may God give u d eyes of understanding.I rest my case

no priest or pastor has d power to forgive our sins but God through d blood of Jesus!
The problem wit catholic priest as you have rightly said is dt they do not give glory to God. Another thing you should note that ppl going to them have turnd them into a God believing that 1s they go to this priest their sin hav bin 4given and most times these pp com back to the priest with the same sin or even worse since what they v 2do is confess 2d priest whereas the blood of Jesus cleanse and washes us completely from our sins!
What James 5:13-16 is saying is that when you want to pray,ensure you confess your sin and repent of them b4 u pray so that the sin will nt stand as an hinderance to your prayers 4m bin answered!
The problems with we xtain of these days is dt we are very lazy to study d Bible and seek the face of God instead we take a particular passage of scriptues and dwell mightly on it- which is wrong!
Very long time ago,when England and some other european countries wanted 2 invade a jewish country,they went to the pope then and dpope 4gave dem their past sin and d sin they were abt to commit,as a results there invaders committed so much attrocities and so many unimaginable sins!
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by solbil: 3:57pm On Oct 28, 2012
let me try to answer some of the questions that came to my mind when i was reading through all of the posts.

On "do priests go to confession?"
yes, they do. And their confessor is a fellow priest. It dosent matter the height of priest hood. Ie, the pope can confess to a priest, he himself just ordained.

On whether priest have power too forgive sins.
Well, i think that verse in john 20 has said it all and no matter how pentecostals want to twist it. Notice that; the bible said HE BREATHED ON THEM. Meaning, he was giving them a new power. A power that had never been giving to any man. It was the first and only time he did that act of mysical significance (breathing) the same thing oyakhilome does.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by fergusen: 4:05pm On Oct 28, 2012
gree-die:

May God have pity on your soul, i will keep praying for you, i ll even solicit the intercession of Holy Mary on your behalf... GOD MUST SAVE YOU
cheesy why do you always try to equate Mary with Jesus. It's Jesus dat is seated at the right hand of God interceding on our behalfsmiley
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by Mintayo(m): 4:06pm On Oct 28, 2012
jamp:

Jesus didnot call it catholic church, catholic means universal church ie the church founded by Jesus is universal. How can u say constantinople appointed the first pope, that a lie, popes have been in exestence before constanople. After peter (the first pope) came linus etc.read ur history well.

How can u say peter is not the first pope, when christ rose from the dead he ask peter to feed his sheep 3 times, read jon 21 : 15-17

guy, u v been really misled,i pray God wld giv u undastanding...Peter is nt d 1st pope and nothing like pope was mention in d bible...pls dnt 4get that peter was married o,so where did u guys get d idea of pope nt getting married!

The pope and d catholic church will b one of d vessel the anti-christ will use in his bringin d world under 1 religion!

Let me say again that the problems which christains are havin in d world 2day(with oda religion) was majorly caused by the catholic church(d crusaders, bowing down 2 images etc)!

Its only d blood of Jesus that cleanses us of our sins nt d priest!

And most of these priest and pastors inclusive are d biggest sinners!
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by jamp: 4:17pm On Oct 28, 2012
honeric01:

confess to one another, meaning every true christian is qualified and not only the 'priests'. Secondly, we're all priests in christ and his representatives on earth. So i don't really see why only 'ordained' priest remain the only people catholics confess to.

So what is d big deal abt confessing to a priest? U ve said it all. So its not wrong after all
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by letsrhym: 4:32pm On Oct 28, 2012
HMMMMMMM
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by greedie1(f): 4:37pm On Oct 28, 2012
fergusen:
cheesy why do you always try to equate Mary with Jesus. It's Jesus dat is seated at the right hand of God interceding on our behalfsmiley

i wont quote scriptures for you o, but i ll answer your question...

Flash back to d wedding in cannan, when der was shortage of wine, what did the hostess do? She begged mary to intercede on her behalf and beg her son jesus to turn water into wine. What did jesus reply? ... Mother u know fully well its not yet time for me to start my ministry... But did jesus perform d miracle, d 1st miracle? Yes! Why? Because he cannot refuse his mother, the same reason you can not turn a deaf ear to ur mum's pleas!!

Its a priviledge to be the mother of Jesus christ, if the angels could hail holy mary as being full of grace and blessed among women, if she could be singled out as the vessel to bear the lord, do you think there are no priviledges attached to dat position? Dat she cannot be granted her request from her son?

Do you think she (the vessel) was impure? Do you think she was born wit d original sin? Do u think this lowly handmaid was spontenously picked to be the mother of the saviour? Dont you think that her role was premeditated and she was clothed wit holiness and grace for that purpose. Do you still think her worthless?

U are a demi- god seeing as you were created in God's image, you have a working brain too... These things are not abstract, think, think! Dont always believe what you were handed down by your pastor.

I hope i explained it well enough to show that there is no equating mary for Jesus here? We honour her, and rightly so

You make it look like God the father and God the son are different, have you ever heard about trinity in one God? Anyways, dats topic 4 another day
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by Matthais: 4:41pm On Oct 28, 2012
[quote author=gree-die][/quote]CONFESSING SINS TO THE CHURCH PRIESTS BY AVOIDING CONFESSING OUR SINS TO THE HEAVENLY FATHER WILL STUNT AND WEAKENING OUR RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD. ONLY BY DIRECTLY APPROACHING GOD CAN WE KNOW GOD BETTER.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by Matthais: 4:44pm On Oct 28, 2012
APOSTASY IS FORSAKING JESUS AND NOT THE CATHOLIC CHURCH. IT IS JESUS WHO IS THE ONLY WAY TO HEAVEN AND NOT THE CATHOLIC CHURCH OR MARY. JESUS SAID,"I AM THE WAY, THE TRUTH AND THE LIFE". sad
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by fergusen: 4:48pm On Oct 28, 2012
chukwudi44: You pentecostals are bunch of hypocrites!!! Even after I had provided biblical backing for the practice you are still blabbing
It is not proper to approach a priest for confession but you can approach a pastor for counselling which is another synonym for confession.
How does counselling or seeking advice from a pastor translates to confession?

So you fools know how to approach God directly in prayer but when it comes to tithe ,you may pay it to God through your pastors.
I am not in support of pastors who use tithes 4 selfish purposes.
The tithes collected are used to enhance the spread of the Gospel of christ Jesus. Eg sending missionaries to other countries to spread the Gospel of salvation,printing of tracts, etc.

He has even gone ahead to purchase a private jet when so many of those who paid these tithes cannot afford three square meals.This is the height of hypocrisy
I'm not supporting him, but do you know dat SOME (not all) of this MOG have Private companies and businesses not established with church tites?
Is it when U wear tartered clothes or you are poor then U become a true man of God?
Furthermore, the jet might be owned by the church, and even if he bought it personally, i don't see what is bad about that.It might be to aid the Gospel worksmiley
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by greedie1(f): 4:49pm On Oct 28, 2012
Matthais: CONFESSING SINS TO THE CHURCH PRIESTS BY AVOIDING CONFESSING OUR SINS TO THE HEAVENLY FATHER WILL STUNT AND WEAKENING OUR RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD. ONLY BY DIRECTLY APPROACHING GOD CAN WE KNOW GOD BETTER.

matthais, what are you on about? I believe the issues you raised has been answered by others, you may want to read from page 0, you aint getting anything from me!
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by aryzgreat: 4:56pm On Oct 28, 2012
gree-die:

dude/ babe, i read ur posts and i couldnt help but smh... You are too far gone! You are filled with so much hate i fear you may be infectious! Get a grip on yourself! I understand you do not like the catholic church but does that give u the right to write such blasphemous things? May God have pity on your soul, i will keep praying for you, i ll even solicit the intercession of Holy Mary on your behalf... GOD MUST SAVE YOU

@topic, i learnt early in life not to argue with non catholics about my faith, they ll come to their own conviction with time or keep wallowing their ignorance... How can i ever think of leaving the catholic church after reading the rants written by these ple? How can ple who claim to be holier insult another church? Write what you detest and move on instead of judging lest u are wrong and invite the wrath of God upon u!! At this rate, you all are worse than idol worshippers! An idol worshipper will not insult another religion, he will only say "worship your God while i worship my chi" why cant you all live and let live? Are you trying to convince us to join your wagon? Cz if dats your aim, im sorry it aint happening anytime soon, not even in d generation of ple who ll call me ancestor!

My dear, its of no use arguing with them, allow them vent the acidik venoms their pastors teach them every sunday to use and woo weak catholics, they say catholics confess to priest, but they go for counselling, they say catholics use image of mary and Jesus, yet they use a larger image of their pastor, daddy and mummy and even went further to put their pix on billboards, they say catholics dont read bible, i wonder wot constitute d first reading, 2nd reading, psalm and Gospel we read everyday in d catholic church? who compiled the different scripture and make them bible? There are biblical groups like CBIU, Charismatics, lay readers, st paul society etc they teach d bible for further understanding, yet some lukewarm catholics dat got confused and join the bandwagon of free style pentecostals will tell u dat we dont read bible but when he or she was a catholic he never made any attempt to join any bible society to understand d position of d catholic church. They say catholics are not following the bible yet we have thousands of church denominations breaking away from each other over doctrines and bible misunderstanding, doesn't this vindicate the catholic church? y would a church breakaway from RCCG if adeboye claims to know it all?

Am born a catholic, i am a catholic by conviction, i will remain a catholic, i will marry as a catholic and will die as a catholic, so help me God. I found God and the truth in this church when i made my personal research. Peace!
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by jamp: 4:57pm On Oct 28, 2012
Abeg make I leave dis thread and watch chelsea vs man u
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by honeric01(m): 4:58pm On Oct 28, 2012
jamp:

So what is d big deal abt confessing to a priest? U ve said it all. So its not wrong after all

its wrong when only 'ordained priest' are seen as the only one sins should be confessed to.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by Matthais: 4:59pm On Oct 28, 2012
@chukwudi, paying of tithes is Gods instruction Malachi 3:10 which every bible believer should follow.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by fergusen: 4:59pm On Oct 28, 2012
gree-die:

You make it look like God the father and God the son are different, have you ever heard about trinity in one God? Anyways, dats topic 4 another day
I BELIEVE 100% IN THE TRINITY
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by aryzgreat: 5:04pm On Oct 28, 2012
For those arguing about confession, apart from the biblical instruction dat support it, which do u think will make one a good christian? do u know the shame involved in confessing? God help u its a priest that know u. Confession makes one avoid sin when u remember the rigors and rebuke/counselling u will receive from ur priest, unlike the protestants that can easily sin and confess in ur room without any counsel or advice on how to avoid sin.

Look at it this way a catholic commits fornication and tells a priest (mind u for ur confession to be valid u must have remorse and resolve never to go back), then the priest counsels u, warn u on d danger to ur spiritual life and give u some psalms, bible passages or prayers to say, then a protestant confess same sin and confess in his rum. who in this 2 do u think will go bak to same sin?
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by Matthais: 5:05pm On Oct 28, 2012
Catholics give the most emphasis to the extra Biblical writings of the saints. They do not read the Bible. That was how many false theories entered the Roman Catholic denomination.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by honeric01(m): 5:07pm On Oct 28, 2012
Matthais: @chukwudi, paying of tithes is Gods instruction Malachi 3:10 which every bible believer should follow.

i don't believe in it because i no longer live under the law like the jews. Tithe is for the jews who are going to be judged by works in the last day.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by Matthais: 5:09pm On Oct 28, 2012
THE CATHOLIC FAITH IS BASED ON TRADITION AND MAGISTERIUM. BUT THESE MUST BE SUBJECT TO THE BIBLE OR ELSE THEY ARE WRONG. CATHOLICS DO MANY THINGS NOT FOUND IN SCRIPTURE.

THE HOLY SPIRIT IS THE FINAL AUTHORITY ON WHAT THE BIBLE MEANS. NOT THE CHURCH OR THE POPE.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by Matthais: 5:17pm On Oct 28, 2012
ONCE A POPE SAID THAT IF PEOPLE BOUGHT TICKETS TO FINANCE THE CATHEDRAL CONSTRUCTION, THEN THEIR SINS WOULD BE FORGIVEN. ISN'T THIS A LIE? YES. I LOVE THE POPES BUT WE MUST ALSO BEWARE OF POPES.
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by greedie1(f): 5:17pm On Oct 28, 2012
Matthais: CONFESSING SINS TO THE CHURCH PRIESTS BY AVOIDING CONFESSING OUR SINS TO THE HEAVENLY FATHER WILL STUNT AND WEAKENING OUR RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD. ONLY BY DIRECTLY APPROACHING GOD CAN WE KNOW GOD BETTER.
on a 2nd thought, u ll get sometin from me

Who fed you wit that crap that confession weakens ones relationship wit God? Let me ask you, when you confess your sins to God in prayer, do you go an extra mile to show remorse? Say by doing manual works of mercy? When you gossip about someone and ask for God's forgiveness, do you automatically think you have earned it just by asking or do you also go bak to apologise to the person you have wronged? Wen you actually speak out your sins, do you realise the gravity and try not to go back to those sins? Does doing all these weaken your relationship wit God? Thats wat confession is all about; contrition, confession, amendment (penance)

i dont really understand what you mean by approaching God directly, do we approach him indirectly? Pls enlighten me
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by Matthais: 5:19pm On Oct 28, 2012
I RESPECT POPES AND PRIESTS BUT THEY ARE ALSO HUMANS AND ARE THEREBY CAPABLE OF COMMITTING SINS LIKE SEXUAL ABUSE OF BOYS AND DORMITORY GIRLS. WE THEREFORE NEED TO LOOK TO JESUS WHO IS A HOLY GOD AND READ HIS BIBLE & BE GUIDED BY HIS SPIRIT.

ALL MY QUOTES ARE BASED ON THE TRUTH AND NOTHING BUT TRUTH FOR THE BENEFIT OF THOSE WHO DO NOT KNOW THESE
THANK YOU ALL FOR NOW AND GOD BLESS cool
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by Matthais: 5:22pm On Oct 28, 2012
I WILL BE BACK!
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by greedie1(f): 5:23pm On Oct 28, 2012
aryzgreat:

My dear, its of no use arguing with them, allow them vent the acidik venoms their pastors teach them every sunday to use and woo weak catholics, they say catholics confess to priest, but they go for counselling, they say catholics use image of mary and Jesus, yet they use a larger image of their pastor, daddy and mummy and even went further to put their pix on billboards, they say catholics dont read bible, i wonder wot constitute d first reading, 2nd reading, psalm and Gospel we read everyday in d catholic church? who compiled the different scripture and make them bible? There are biblical groups like CBIU, Charismatics, lay readers, st paul society etc they teach d bible for further understanding, yet some lukewarm catholics dat got confused and join the bandwagon of free style pentecostals will tell u dat we dont read bible but when he or she was a catholic he never made any attempt to join any bible society to understand d position of d catholic church. They say catholics are not following the bible yet we have thousands of church denominations breaking away from each other over doctrines and bible misunderstanding, doesn't this vindicate the catholic church? y would a church breakaway from RCCG if adeboye claims to know it all?

Am born a catholic, i am a catholic by conviction, i will remain a catholic, i will marry as a catholic and will die as a catholic, so help me God. I found God and the truth in this church when i made my personal research. Peace!
i wonder o!! I wont ever leave the catholic church by God's grace.... And his grace is sufficient for me
Re: Confessing Your Sins To A Priest. by greedie1(f): 5:26pm On Oct 28, 2012
Matthais: I WILL BE BACK!
i ll be waiting for you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Pastor Chris Oyakilome's Phone Number / Cobwebs Attack / Lets Talk; Christians Dating Unbelievers.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.