Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,094 members, 7,811,067 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:09 PM

My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation - Crime (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation (41458 Views)

My Robbery Experience At Diamond Bank Today / Ogun Police Arrests Cultists For Armed Robbery, Recovers 10 Cars (photo) / Lagos-Ibadan Express Way: Robbery Experience TODAY (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by infolpf: 2:46pm On Nov 01, 2012
@ OP -
Quite an experience, glad you are alive to tell the tale.
I am curious, what happened to your friend, the lady you dropped off at the estate? Was her house also attacked? Did they take you along with them to her house also?
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by Areaboy2(m): 2:48pm On Nov 01, 2012
Deep Sight:

You are right! Sunday morning, and it was a close!

what amazes me is not even one of the robbers got killed WTF!!! do robbers have fire fight training? shocked

i tot they just point and shoot undecided
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by montelik(m): 2:48pm On Nov 01, 2012
claremont: Let's not blame the Nigerian police for anything, they are a part of a system that is broken. Tell me, what incentive is there for a Nigerian policeman to risk his life for anyone?!

I understand your point, but it is not a valid reason. I don't blame any police man who is reluctant to put his life on the line. even the most well trained and equiped officers (bullet proof vest, tactical rifles e.t.c) would sweat blood dealing with 10+ plus armed assailants. but the problem, particularly for a state like Lagos, is the fact robbers can move in massive numbers and operate for long stretches at a time. yet once they are finished, it ends there. the police have zero interest in even doing the most basic of investigations. we live in a society where robbers operate without masks openly, and often leaving mountain of evidence behind, but the police won't even do just basic follow up investigations. it is not until police have huge pensions, bullet-proof cars & vests, apcs, tactical weaponry that they can do their job. just by ensuring that they can pursue and bring perpertrators to book will reduce crime significantly. the threat of being caught even after get away is a powerful deterent.

1 Like

Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by VolvoS60(m): 2:49pm On Nov 01, 2012
^^^^OP,

As someone said, your story does read like a movie script. Very sad to read about the four men killed and the girl who was violated.

You are spot-on in your reasons for them dragging you along after they took your car. It could have gone very wrong for you (as if that could be possible!) in the sense that they could have met the police on the way with you in the car and you could have been shot. These things happen all the time - cars are snatched with the owner forced along for the ride, there's a shootout with the police and the car owner dies or is maimed in the crossfire.

With the scale of the violence, I'm surprised I didn't hear about this incident before now - I'm a bit familiar with that axis. I guess you would rather not disclose the estate where your friend lives - can't blame you for that. The part about the hammer just left me speechless.

Armed robbery in Nigeria can be the most hellish experience. We are in very serious trouble. All the guns that came in during the 2011 election and those which have come in since then are being deployed to maximum effect. Unfortunately, its every man for himself.
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by Odunnu: 2:49pm On Nov 01, 2012
I am still in shock for real.
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by Areaboy2(m): 2:49pm On Nov 01, 2012
info@lpf:
@ OP -
Quite an experience, glad you are alive to tell the tale.
I am curious, what happened to your friend, the lady you dropped off at the estate? Was her house also attacked? Did they take you along with them to her house also?

its a big estate. it took him 10mins to drop her and back. I bet she had no idea what was happening until morning undecided

1 Like

Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by nagoma(m): 2:53pm On Nov 01, 2012
What a harrowing experience my brother. I have been visited by gun wielding gang of (well) armed robbers and tormented for 45 minutes at my home but I find your experience most agonizing and scarifying.Its day time here but my hairs are on end and I am frightened by what I read in your account. What however amazes me the most is your proposed solution to Nigerias problems.it is astounding that you think a sovereign national conference can solve the governance problem in Nigeria!!! I am sorry apart from revolution which I think is practically impossible i do not see a solution to our problem. What I will advocate at this point in time however is the division of the country into two. North and South. This division while ensuring viability may inculcate sense of belonging, nationalism and rule of law, which are the missing elements in our nation state. And I am a full blown Northerner and a Northern nationalist because of circumstances - you may want to know.

3 Likes

Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by Nobody: 2:53pm On Nov 01, 2012
Praise the Lord! Am really happy for,just imagining the trauma u would've gone thru. Nigeria system ca Never change. All the systems are so corrupt.

Most of the police officer are either illiterate or semi literate,imagine a situation whereby a police officer cannot construct a good sentence,what do you expect from such policeman,interms of efficiency.
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by Nobody: 2:53pm On Nov 01, 2012
coogar:
where are the jobs? there are petty businesses everywhere - it's just that our people are lazy or they want the least of minimum effort to make megabucks! it's quite insensitive of you to support armed robbers - if your sister was räped in this kinda incident, you would be more sympathetic with the victims - lets apply common sense in whatever we say....

I don't condone armed robbery, however, it epitomises everything wrong with Nigeria... The system created the "monster" and I think this should spur everyone to demand a change... Nigeria needs a change - and we can't just keep feeling sorry for the victims, when the system created both the victims and the monsters - that's going to amount to "window dressing" only the solution, when we can effect a total change of the barbaric system that's creating these monsters...

I'm glad the OP can also decipher the point I was trying to make...

nigeria is not the only country having to cope with poverty - in the other countries i know, the anger is towards their government, in nigeria - the anger is towards the neighbour! what kind of idiotic mentality is that? robbers should go to abuja and attack senators and ministers - not the struggling populace!

That shows everything wrong with Nigeria and the cowardice of the average Nigerian... That's the Nigerian mentality!

i think fashola should be doing much more about the security of lagos state! how can an incident last 4 hours with no armed policemen in sight? even after the incident, there's no forensic science to pull the crime scene apart and find clues........in 2012? in few days time, a silly nigerian would go to the travel section and say nigerians in diaspora are envious of the home-based nigerians! wowzer!!!!

Hello, this is Nigeria - the police might also be part of the plot...
double post
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by pappilo(m): 2:53pm On Nov 01, 2012
This story is false. A major operation like this would have made the tabloids at least and savvy lekki dwellers would have reported it on social media. I hope dDeep sight and Sept12 are the same people otherwise I am cancelling my trip to Naija this December!
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by kenono(m): 2:56pm On Nov 01, 2012
Naija POLICE!!! Chai!!! The ones around my area only come to work in the morning, eat rice and beans, , and go on a vehicle seizing trip, with swollen stomachs and heavy eyes.

I rather report my case to my dead grand mother than to take it to them

1 Like

Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by Nobody: 2:59pm On Nov 01, 2012
Area_boy:

what amazes me is not even one of the robbers got killed WTF!!! do robbers have fire fight training? shocked

i tot they just point and shoot undecided
don't be surprise that most of the robbers,are either military men,or ex-service men.for them to have carried out the operation in commando style,show they were trained men.
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by coogar: 2:59pm On Nov 01, 2012
montelik:

I understand your point, but it is not a valid reason. I don't blame any police man who is reluctant to put his life on the line. even the most well trained and equiped officers (bullet proof vest, tactical rifles e.t.c) would sweat blood dealing with 10+ plus armed assailants. but the problem, particularly for a state like Lagos, is the fact robbers can move in massive numbers and operate for long stretches at a time. yet once they are finished, it ends there. the police have zero interest in even doing the most basic of investigations. we live in a society where robbers operate without masks openly, and often leaving mountain of evidence behind, but the police won't even do just basic follow up investigations. it is not until police have huge pensions, bullet-proof cars & vests, apcs, tactical weaponry that they can do their job. just by ensuring that they can pursue and bring perpertrators to book will reduce crime significantly. the threat of being caught even after get away is a powerful deterent.

once upon a time, there was operation sweep unit in lagos and armed robbery was reduced to the barest minimum.......democracy decided to shelf that method of combatting violent crime - i think it's about time we let the military take over! we are not yet mature for democracy!
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by Sept12: 2:59pm On Nov 01, 2012
Area_boy:

lol.. you just shot yourself in the foot!! grin grin grin grin grin

cos you created a new account "sept12" just to reply to this thread!! guess u need a new one "Aug12" cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

I did create a new id for this thread. Just the same way i knew the story immediately he started it (strange...even before reading the third line i knew it was the same story. I guess because i heard some of the people the victim was with said his part of the story)...and the way the OP would have never guessed that someone on Nairaland would know the story....that is the same way i fear the robbers may read the story. I have been on Nairaland for close to 5 years...I may have mentioned where i live at some point. Trust me....paranoia is the order of the day.

Back to the post:

@ OP
I can truly understand your experience my bro. I saw the scene and heard what happened to you at the scene. A lot of the victims had to move away from the area. The young girl you mentioned moved out the next day...leaving 2 years of rent. I still go around there and there is now a gate on the close and mopo. Too little too late.

I am building a house and i had put in burglar proofing, bullet proof doors, big iron gates etc....but after seeing what those robbers did to gain access into the compounds in less than 10 minutes each i was told.....i felt like removing everything. Infact, i wont lie....I have not been able to pack into my house. I am that scared.

7 Likes

Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by Treasure10: 2:59pm On Nov 01, 2012
Woah DeepSight, you seem to have had a really messed up year. My heart goes out to you. Thank God you didn’t succeed in committing suicide, cos then there is no repentance.
The good thing is that things can only get better cas you have been through the worst. Walk with God in everything you do, and give all to his to take control. That's the key to joy, happiness and fulfillment.

On Nigerian Police, I believe I have never come across a more useless group of professionals most especially those in Lekki. I was robbed on my last trip to the stupid country Nigeria. They snatched my bags, my cash, my cards, camera, ipad etc. Went to the police to log a statement as I am covered with insurance, they told me to take them to the crime scene to investigate. We went with a taxi to see where I was robbed then back to the police station. I was them told to pay 20,000 for a police extract. I reminded the so-called policeman that I had been robbed therefore had no access to cash as it was also a public holiday. He said there-fore I cannot help you. I didn’t know what annoyed me the most, the thief who robbed me, or the criminal wearing a faded police uniform.
God help Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by DeepSight(m): 2:59pm On Nov 01, 2012
pappilo: This story is false. A major operation like this would have made the tabloids at least and savvy lekki dwellers would have reported it on social media. I hope dDeep sight and Sept12 are the same people otherwise I am cancelling my trip to Naija this December!

I really dont know what to say to the bold. I posted this story simply to make my countrymen aware of our security issues. If you are interested, you can visit or send to the Maroko Police Station to confirm the incident.

The Maroko Police Station is close to the Oniru Market, in Oniru, V.I. extension.

3 Likes

Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by agohavivi(f): 3:05pm On Nov 01, 2012
@OP:Please don't set yourself on fire. it's so unfortunate that the police more often than not, are absolutely useless.
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by DeepSight(m): 3:07pm On Nov 01, 2012
Sept12:

....that is the same way i fear the robbers may read the story.

Do you know oh! I actually mentioned the exact name of the police station and DPO on the mainland that were involved in the car vandalization and asking for a bribe afterwards, when I first wrote the story, but fear come catch me, say, what if they read the story and come after me? So I removed those details.
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by coogar: 3:07pm On Nov 01, 2012
pappilo: This story is false. A major operation like this would have made the tabloids at least and savvy lekki dwellers would have reported it on social media. I hope dDeep sight and Sept12 are the same people otherwise I am cancelling my trip to Naija this December!

the murder rate in nigeria is the worst on the planet if the media coverage is half as efficient as the developed countries! there are loads of unreported violent crime in that country to even encourage you to visit! at this rate, i don't think nigeria can be anything worse than the hell-fire we are all avoiding......
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by plaetton: 3:11pm On Nov 01, 2012
shymexx:

But where are the jobs? There are millions of graduates in that country that can't even get a decent job - how do expect unskilled people to get jobs? The unemployment rate in Nigeria is about 50%(officially), the country is abyss!

Poverty breeds evil and anger - that's the truth... And Nigeria is a country where people worship money and so people would do anything for it, it's just sad..

I don't know, but it's going to be difficult to conquer it in a country like Nigeria, where there's no central database, ill-equipped and ill-trained police force, no CCTV cameras, and with poverty everywhere...

How can there be jobs when the federal government allows oil comapnies to import Philipino workers to do jobs that many Nigerians are well qualified and eager to do?

2 Likes

Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by Sept12: 3:14pm On Nov 01, 2012
Deep Sight:

Do you know oh! I actually mentioned the exact name of the police station and DPO on the mainland that were involved in the car vandalization and asking for a bribe afterwards, when I first wrote the story, but then fear catch me, say,what if they read the story and come after me? So I removed those details.

Bros. Try to fear O. I am sure you left contact addresses at the police station too....? I am naturally ultra paranoid. I knew the Noble close story...and heard how you narrated to the victims how your car had been snatched and that you had never been to 'that part of Lagos before'....but hearing your part of the story brings the events to an even starker reality. I am guessing the estate you dropped off your friend is Goshen estate.....if they robbed and killed someone in that estate almost 2 hours before the Noble close incident that means the police had absolutely nothing on them for about 4 hours!

I tire.
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by pappilo(m): 3:14pm On Nov 01, 2012
Deep Sight:

I really dont know what to say to the bold. I posted this story simply to makemy country men aware of our security issues. If you are interested, you can visit or send to the Maroko Police Station to confirm the incident.

The Maroko Police Station is close to the Oniru Market, in Oniru, V.I. extension.

Boss, please no vex. I am just hoping you will say something like April fool. I actually left Nigeria because of insecurity. Got robbed 3 times in 6 months in the same damn house. I always dread when I have a trip planned and this your story is just making me reconsider my December trip.
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by debosky(m): 3:16pm On Nov 01, 2012
If 'rich' people are subjected to these kinds of ordeals, what happens to 'middle class' people in Festac, Surulere, Yaba, Isolo and others? undecided undecided

Lagos state residents have to demand and do better - we know Nigeria is a mess and we can't solve the entire mess in one go, but surely we can begin to do things differently from a smaller scale??

It is an appalling thing to happen and the lack of any attempt at actually catching the culprits is the worst bit - yes no one wants to die, but do your job afterwards when your life isn't at risk.

Stay at home you get robbed and killed, go out you get robbed and killed. . . .nowhere is safe. sad

1 Like

Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by Nobody: 3:16pm On Nov 01, 2012
plaetton:
How can there be jobs when the federal government allows oil comapnies to import Philipino workers to do jobs that many Nigerians are well qualified and eager to do?

Whoa!! Stinking Philipino midgets are now more superior to Nigerians smh...

When are you guys going to start fighting for what rightfully belongs to you? It's your damn country - and there has to be a quota system for Nigerians at the multinational companies making money in Nigeria....

The state of affairs in Nigeria is pathetic!! You guys need a bloody revolution!! Dammit
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by ballabriggs: 3:17pm On Nov 01, 2012
pappilo:

Boss, please no vex. I am just hoping you will say something like April fool. I actually left Nigeria because of insecurity. Got robbed 3 times in 6 months in the same damn house. I always dread when I have a trip planned and this your story is just making me reconsider my December trip.

Ahhh few weeks before I left Nigeria, I saw robbers shoot my neighbour. It was a very horrible experience. For years my Mum was in deep trauma. If you've never been through it, you won't understand what this man went through.
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by plaetton: 3:18pm On Nov 01, 2012

Idiotic and insensitive.
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by Nobody: 3:18pm On Nov 01, 2012
Nigeria has a murder rate of over 10,000 per year - yet you guys don't want to die...

You're more or less a walking dead corpse if you live in Nigeria, why are you guys scared, anyway??
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by coogar: 3:19pm On Nov 01, 2012
pappilo:

they are normally out of sight in december as most of them would be in their villages spending their loot - the months leading to december are usually the worst!
Re: My Armed Robbery Experience And Thoughts On The Nigerian Situation by DeepSight(m): 3:20pm On Nov 01, 2012
Sept12:

Bros. Try to fear O. I am sure you left contact addresses at the police station too....? I am naturally ultra paranoid. I knew the Noble close story...and heard how you narrated to the victims how your car had been snatched and that you had never been to 'that part of Lagos before'....but hearing your part of the story brings the events to an even starker reality. I am guessing the estate you dropped off your friend is Goshen estate.....if they robbed and killed someone in that estate almost 2 hours before the Noble close incident that means the police had absolutely nothing on them for about 4 hours!

I tire.

It was Bakare Estate, off Aguingi.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Man Who Disguised As A Woman In Ghana Caught. Photos / Pastor Who Rapes Pregnant Girls In Abia Church Turned Baby Factory Arrested(Pic) / Native Doctor Asks The Gods To Kill Man Who Flogged A Lady In Libya

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.