Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,387 members, 7,815,828 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:01 PM

From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities - Properties (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities (33151 Views)

From Paper To Brick: Construction Of A Semi-detached Duplex / Why Do People Prefer To Give Their Building Project To Brick Layers? / Jarus CountryHome - A Journal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by ahf(m): 5:29pm On Dec 17, 2012
brabus: Checking out the Sample Window

Pic 1: View from the Kitchen
Pic 2: External View of the sample Window

Stunning Window.... Very nice design....

Please whats the unit cost for this window? by sizes?

GREAT JOB cool
Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by tundysho(m): 9:33pm On Dec 17, 2012
Hello Mr brabus

You are doing a wonderful job here,well done.
But how come you window is 3 coaches from the DPC
Dont you think its too low
Cheers
Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by brabus(m): 11:38pm On Dec 17, 2012
tundysho: Hello Mr brabus

You are doing a wonderful job here,well done.
But how come you window is 3 coaches from the DPC
Dont you think its too low
Cheers

I don't think so. It depends on the angle you're looking at it.

We gave our windows vertical emphasis by making the vertical dimension proportionately larger than the horizontal one. That way we can get the light we wanted.

We also planned our windows considering the following :

Thermal Heat Loss: we want this house to be energy efficient.

Ventilation: Windows provide ventilation to rooms and the extent of ventilation is dependent on the use and the size of the room.

1 Like

Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by brabus(m): 11:51pm On Dec 17, 2012
ahf:

Stunning Window.... Very nice design....

Please whats the unit cost for this window? by sizes?

GREAT JOB cool

I'll update this thread once I have information. I'm a little busy this days.
Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by brabus(m): 11:59pm On Dec 17, 2012
Progress: Roofing Woodwork and Tank Slab Construction

Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by ahf(m): 7:39am On Dec 18, 2012
brabus:

We gave our windows vertical emphasis by making the vertical dimension proportionately larger than the horizontal one. That way we can get the light we wanted.

Ventilation: Windows provide ventilation to rooms and the extent of ventilation is dependent on the use and the size of the room.

This new window design seems to be the most common nowadays. I believe some call it "french windows"
Formerly normal window has 4 coaches above DPC before window base.
Just depends on personal preference.
Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by brabus(m): 5:01pm On Dec 18, 2012
Roofing Woodwork

Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by brabus(m): 5:59pm On Dec 18, 2012
Today in picture

Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by brabus(m): 6:04pm On Dec 18, 2012
Noggin

Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by brabus(m): 11:48am On Dec 19, 2012
Happening Now: Roofing Woodwork

Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by brabus(m): 11:50am On Dec 19, 2012
Meanwhile, here's Unit 2

Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by Samb2403: 12:07pm On Dec 19, 2012
Really like the design of the house. I'm hoping to start my own project I'm in February and the size and layout is very similar to this project. I will like a likely cost breakdown of the project.
Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by brabus(m): 12:55pm On Dec 19, 2012
From Paper to Brick: Window Design Consideration

The workload is lighter now, its high time we resume blogging.

An ideal window should be appropriate to the building. However there are a number of initial things to look for when designing your window.

• Look at the context – what type of windows characterise similar buildings around you? Are they successful and what would you have done better?
• Take account of the context, what emphasis and style of windows would be appropriate? Should they have horizontal or vertical emphasis?
• How are the glazing bars/top dividers arranged?
• What profile are you using and why?
• *What is the ratio of window to wall space on each elevation of the building? This is very important. Please always pay attention to details
• How do the windows open? Will it obstruct aesthetical details and the ornamentals?
• How are the areas immediately around the window opening treated, such as cills, lintels etc?
• Are decorative features (window hood, stone walls, quoins etc) a character of an area – are they appropriate to the overall design or are they fussy and over designed?

Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by brabus(m): 6:10pm On Dec 19, 2012
Here We Are

Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by brabus(m): 6:12pm On Dec 19, 2012
Unit 2: Aerial View

Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by tundysho(m): 11:05pm On Dec 20, 2012
brabus:

OK,i see,thats great,but looking at the safety angle,don't you think adventurous children might de tempted to jump!
Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by ahf(m): 10:11am On Dec 21, 2012
tundysho:

OK,i see,thats great,but looking at the safety angle,don't you think adventurous children might de tempted to jump!

I doubt... Burglary bars are usually installed in this part of the world.
Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by brabus(m): 1:27am On Dec 22, 2012
Roof Covering: Coffee Black

Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by katki: 3:08am On Dec 22, 2012
Waiting for the upper floor plan pls
Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by Fhemmmy: 2:17pm On Dec 22, 2012
brabus: What we've done!

Is it a water area or why the cast and not the usual bricks? just wanna learn oh
Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by Fhemmmy: 2:22pm On Dec 22, 2012
brabus: A similar fence project done in August 2012 at Graceland Estate, Iyana Ishashi, Lagos/Badagry expressway, Lagos

Client: Nairaland Friend
Project Duration: 45 days
Terms of Engagement: Labour and Supervision only

Terrain: WATERLOGGED.

Thanks, this answers my previous question, but i am yet to read it all cos yet to see any cost effect of the project
Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by Fhemmmy: 2:25pm On Dec 22, 2012
euromilion:
Dry season is better but building materials are more expensive.

I am sure it is possible for someone to buy the materials in the raining season and store them away till dry season to start the project.
Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by Fhemmmy: 2:28pm On Dec 22, 2012
brabus:

I'll provide answers to all other questions related to the cost of land in the estate as soon as I gain information.

Will the carcass includes everything but just without furnishing?
Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by brabus(m): 6:08am On Dec 24, 2012
Our House Now Has A Roof.

Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by brabus(m): 6:09am On Dec 24, 2012
More pics from the site.

Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by brabus(m): 6:11am On Dec 24, 2012
katki: Waiting for the upper floor plan pls

I've not gotten clearance from my client to post the floor plans. Pls bear with me. But should you require a similar design, you can speak to ihebrooke. He designed the house.
Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by brabus(m): 6:16am On Dec 24, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Will the carcass includes everything but just without furnishing?

Yes
Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by bugmenot: 8:14pm On Dec 25, 2012
Welldone Brabus! What's the roof material called and what drove your decision to use it here? How many sq feet is the roof and roughly how much will the entire roof cost? Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!
Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by brabus(m): 8:59am On Dec 27, 2012
bugmenot: Welldone Brabus! What's the roof material called and what drove your decision to use it here? How many sq feet is the roof and roughly how much will the entire roof cost? Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!

I think it’s obvious by now that updating this blog has become a little more difficult. In between balancing work, family and of course the project I’ve found little time to update it. Sincere apologies to those who come back looking for updates often. The project is actually on break now.

I'll update the cost of this project later on this thread. Meanwhile, we're doing some background works prior to finishing of the house now.

Watch this space as from next week as things begin to unfold. "From Paper to Brick: Rendering and Facade for our shell"
Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by Fhemmmy: 3:34pm On Dec 27, 2012
brabus:

I think it’s obvious by now that updating this blog has become a little more difficult. In between balancing work, family and of course the project I’ve found little time to update it. Sincere apologies to those who come back looking for updates often. The project is actually on break now.

I'll update the cost of this project later on this thread. Meanwhile, we're doing some background works prior to finishing of the house now.

Watch this space as from next week as things begin to unfold. "From Paper to Brick: Rendering and Facade for our shell"

Will surely be back to see more . . . Thanks
Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by bugmenot: 3:36pm On Dec 27, 2012
brabus:

You ignored my questions on the roofing.
Re: From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities by Natudu: 5:20pm On Dec 28, 2012
Wow! This is great. I am looking at making something like this, too. But in Port Harcourt.
Watching this space. Can't wait to see the upper level plan to make up my mind. Cost update will also be appreciated.

Well done, Brabus.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Whats D Minimum Cost Of Building A 5 Bedroom Duplex On Half Plot In Iyanaipaja / INTERIOR WALLPAPER AND 3D WALL PANEL / Families Disagree Over Building Renovation In Lagos - See What They Did (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.