Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,821 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:07 AM

Shouldn't Every Nigerian Be Entitled To A Monthly Allowance? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Shouldn't Every Nigerian Be Entitled To A Monthly Allowance? (8444 Views)

A Better Alternative To N5,000 Monthly Allowance For Unemployed Nigerians / Saraki, Baraje Are Not Entitled To Guards – Police / Ex-governor Of Bayelsa,alamieyeseigha Could Be Entitled To Billions Of Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Shouldn't Every Nigerian Be Entitled To A Monthly Allowance? by Rick9(m): 7:11pm On Nov 17, 2012
Yes / No
Re: Shouldn't Every Nigerian Be Entitled To A Monthly Allowance? by Sagamite(m): 8:10pm On Nov 17, 2012
ebankole: @SHAGAMITE
Well i might be tempted to say u are a product of frustration.But really on what ground did u accuse me?Am glad that atleast we 90% right deeming nigerian in here who contribute with insultin any,Out of which 10% frustrated u are among..u ar on ur own,i bet u hav pic in dis forum.

Your spelling and grammar confirms it: You are a product of a failed education system.
Re: Shouldn't Every Nigerian Be Entitled To A Monthly Allowance? by ektbear: 8:13pm On Nov 17, 2012
terrible idea.

plus, the money won't even stretch far enough.
Re: Shouldn't Every Nigerian Be Entitled To A Monthly Allowance? by Nobody: 8:20pm On Nov 17, 2012
Monthly allowance ko, weekly dole ni! SMH. How about demanding accountability from people who are robbing you blind. Some countries will go to the extent of desalinating ocean water to provide drinking water to their citizens, while Nigerian leaders steal more than they will ever need and buy jets they can't maintain beyond their term in office!
Re: Shouldn't Every Nigerian Be Entitled To A Monthly Allowance? by InvertedHammer: 8:26pm On Nov 17, 2012
I am really concerned because of the way Naija people take love awoof.
Damned if you do; damned if you don't
Re: Shouldn't Every Nigerian Be Entitled To A Monthly Allowance? by Sagamite(m): 8:51pm On Nov 17, 2012
Aigbofa: Monthly allowance ko, weekly dole ni! SMH. How about demanding accountability from people who are robbing you blind. Some countries will go to the extent of desalinating ocean water to provide drinking water to their citizens, while Nigerian leaders steal more than they will ever need and buy jets they can't maintain beyond their term in office!

And the person baboon citizens will pray for them and celebrate them.

https://www.nairaland.com/1056780/nairaland-prayer-network-patience-jonathan

https://www.nairaland.com/1077961/best-first-lady-nigeria-ever
Re: Shouldn't Every Nigerian Be Entitled To A Monthly Allowance? by adconline(m): 8:54pm On Nov 17, 2012
It's enshrined in Naija constitution!
Re: Shouldn't Every Nigerian Be Entitled To A Monthly Allowance? by jayjagz: 9:29pm On Nov 17, 2012
Unemployment benefit is a good thing to think of but come to think of it, we know the attitude of we Nigerians, won't it be abused? Some will collect more than some other people, some won't even bother to work again because calculation the remains of the salary after transport fare and other expenses will lead to deterioration of the enthusiasm of people in search of Jobs and these can destroy our economy totally.

1 Like

Re: Shouldn't Every Nigerian Be Entitled To A Monthly Allowance? by mrscolite(f): 9:46pm On Nov 17, 2012
Gentle Naaz: Imagn naija dy pay me #500,000 per month, guy i 4 don buy dat ur land within 3 years. Mara4kas, mk una no go plan una future wlela, wait 4 naija 2 bgn pay u

Don't be silly,we not talkin about thaaat amount of money...
Re: Shouldn't Every Nigerian Be Entitled To A Monthly Allowance? by ebankole: 10:04pm On Nov 17, 2012
@shagamite
It's only polite to point out these errors in my last comment but really u shouldn't allow or unleach what ever u are going thru offline/on take the best of u.& really this is just an issue of YES/NO insulting pple will portray u brainless or insolent.Well i may have 2 quit to respond to u just to prove to,not just u how reasonable i'm rhetorically and psycologically.Prove that u ain't frustrated,letting ur yes be yes and no be no.
Re: Shouldn't Every Nigerian Be Entitled To A Monthly Allowance? by Sagamite(m): 10:07pm On Nov 17, 2012
ebankole: @shagamite
It's only polite to point out these errors in my last comment but really u shouldn't allow or unleach what ever u are going thru offline/on take the best of u.& really this is just an issue of YES/NO insulting pple will portray u brainless or insolent.Well i may have 2 quit to respond to u just to prove to,not just u how reasonable i'm rhetorically and psycologically.Prove that u ain't frustrated,letting ur yes be yes and no be no.

Fck Lawd!

AHHHHH!

Abacha, e no go better for you in hell o!

IBB, na miserable death you go die o!

See our education system!

KAI!

This guy has unleach (sic) his grammar on me!
Re: Shouldn't Every Nigerian Be Entitled To A Monthly Allowance? by Nobody: 10:11pm On Nov 17, 2012
In regards to the monthly allowance,
I dont think it would do much to stop poverty and crime if it was just handed out.
Here in Canada, you are eligable for a monthly child tax benefit and a national child tax benefit if you have children and it is based on your yearly income.
It is to help with the cost of raising children and to help reduce the depth of child poverty. In some cases Im sure it can,in others,it may not,depending on the family I suppose.
Re: Shouldn't Every Nigerian Be Entitled To A Monthly Allowance? by ebankole: 10:37pm On Nov 17, 2012
Well,with all being said the reason why i brought this message up is that its baffles me alot when i hear about how wonderful Nigeria was,and a nation to be reckoned at that,i pray for this in whatever form it may manifest it's not about the ALLOWANCE'as quoted about the nigeria and nigerians of our DREAMS.
Re: Shouldn't Every Nigerian Be Entitled To A Monthly Allowance? by ebankole: 10:42pm On Nov 17, 2012
Well,with all being said the reason why i brought this message up is that its baffles me alot when i hear about how wonderful Nigeria was,and a nation to be reckoned with at that,i pray for this in whatever form it may manifest it's not about the ALLOWANCE'as quoted but about the nigeria and nigerians of our DREAMS.
Re: Shouldn't Every Nigerian Be Entitled To A Monthly Allowance? by Sagamite(m): 10:45pm On Nov 17, 2012
ebankole: Well,with all being said the reason why i brought this message up is that its baffles me alot when i hear about how wonderful Nigeria was,and a nation to be reckoned at that,i pray for this in whatever form it may manifest it's not about the ALLOWANCE'as quoted about the nigeria and nigerians of our DREAMS.

ebankole: Well,with all being said the reason why i brought this message up is that its baffles me alot when i hear about how wonderful Nigeria was,and a nation to be reckoned with at that,i pray for this in whatever form it may manifest it's not about the ALLOWANCE'as quoted but about the nigeria and nigerians of our DREAMS.

What level in the education system did you get to before you stopped?
Re: Shouldn't Every Nigerian Be Entitled To A Monthly Allowance? by remzytimer: 11:15pm On Nov 17, 2012
It is the government's responsibility to employ you?

The government should keep on ballooning the public expenditure

You guys have destroyed our education system. See the products for fck sake![/quote]
kai! u're graduate of which school? U're a disgrace to that school.... See ur word constructions,u don't even know ur entitlement as a citizen of a country. Mtchweee
Re: Shouldn't Every Nigerian Be Entitled To A Monthly Allowance? by amobii: 11:16pm On Nov 17, 2012
odumchi: I think the purpose of any government is to empower the governed so that they can help themselves. Dashing out money defeats this purpose, and most of the time, breeds laziness and crime. Rather, the money should be implemented as a subsidy where and when it's needed.

Anyway, thread moved to politics.

That is absolutely wrong, if you go to UK, if you are resident as soon as you born a child you get child benefit, other support they get from government are income support allowance, if your income cannot take care of your family, there is threshold for the income before you qualify. So if the government fail to empower people, i think the next option is to empower them by giving some of the money they are looting.
Re: Shouldn't Every Nigerian Be Entitled To A Monthly Allowance? by Sagamite(m): 11:35pm On Nov 17, 2012
remzytimer:
kai! u're graduate of which school? U're a disgrace to that school.... See ur word constructions,u don't even know ur entitlement as a citizen of a country. Mtchweee

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

You are a person!

Please tell me what your "entitlement as a citizen of a country is". grin
Re: Shouldn't Every Nigerian Be Entitled To A Monthly Allowance? by odumchi: 11:53pm On Nov 17, 2012
amobii:

That is absolutely wrong, if you go to UK, if you are resident as soon as you born a child you get child benefit, other support they get from government are income support allowance, if your income cannot take care of your family, there is threshold for the income before you qualify. So if the government fail to empower people, i think the next option is to empower them by giving some of the money they are looting.

What you're talking about and what I'm talking about are different. The UK's social welfare plan is designed to accommodate those of low income who are unable to take care of their families because of one financial issue or another. When someone gives birth, they receive a check which is meant to take care of the expenses of the new baby (diapers, formula, etc). The US's social welfare plan is also similar to the of the UK, but instead of giving away checks, it gives food stamps which can only be used to redeem food items (this is to make sure that the money is used for what it was intended for).

In the case of Nigeria (or in any country, for that matter), handing out Naira notes just for breathing is unacceptable because it breeds the "why should I work when the government is paying me for being alive" mentality. Instead of wasting money this way, the government should subsidize things like education and healthcare so that things would be cheaper and more accessible.
Re: Shouldn't Every Nigerian Be Entitled To A Monthly Allowance? by Sagamite(m): 12:04am On Nov 18, 2012
odumchi:

What you're talking about and what I'm talking about are different. The UK's social welfare plan is designed to accommodate those of low income who are unable to take care of their families because of one financial issue or another. When someone gives birth, they receive a check which is meant to take care of the expenses of the new baby (diapers, formula, etc). The US's social welfare plan is also similar to the of the UK, but instead of giving away checks, it gives food stamps which can only be used to redeem food items (this is to make sure that the money is used for what it was intended for).

In the case of Nigeria (or in any country, for that matter), handing out Naira notes just for breathing is unacceptable because it breeds the "why should I work when the government is paying me for being alive" mentality. Instead of wasting money this way, the government should subsidize things like education and healthcare so that things would be cheaper and more accessible.

Don't mind the fucktards!
Re: Shouldn't Every Nigerian Be Entitled To A Monthly Allowance? by CuntDestroyer1: 12:13am On Nov 18, 2012
ebankole: One thing i meditate on a daily basis is'HOW DO WE STOP POVERTY and REDUCE CRIME?

1-As a nigerian every citizen should be entitle to a monthly allowance ofcos out OIL money.

Ask Tinibu to start paying indigenes some allowance first before you claim oil money that isn't yours.

ebankole: 2 Education should be make compulsory out of this benefit.

with such grammar phrasing from your jakande freely educated a55 it will amount to a dangerous waste

ebankole:
Any caught embezling our money shud be excuted.

Again you amaze me. Like you jointly opened an account with the FG at CBN.
Re: Shouldn't Every Nigerian Be Entitled To A Monthly Allowance? by ebankole: 1:00am On Nov 18, 2012
@odumchi

That's a good idea but ofcourse our Gov'ts are that willing to make any change.Its all about 100billion this and that we been embezzled almost on a daily basis we read/hear everyday.
Re: Shouldn't Every Nigerian Be Entitled To A Monthly Allowance? by CuntDestroyer1: 1:09am On Nov 18, 2012
ebankole: @odumchi

That's a good idea but ofcourse our Gov'ts are that willing to make any change.Its all about 100billion this and that we been embezzled almost on a daily basis we read/hear everyday.

go get a job and do something with your life you lazy bum.
Re: Shouldn't Every Nigerian Be Entitled To A Monthly Allowance? by Sagamite(m): 1:24am On Nov 18, 2012
ebankole: @odumchi

Please. I beg you. Don't tell me you are a graduate.

I beg you in the name of God. Please tell me you are not.

I might die of severe heart break if a higher institution in Nigeria gave you a certificate.
Re: Shouldn't Every Nigerian Be Entitled To A Monthly Allowance? by shdemidemi(m): 1:35am On Nov 18, 2012
Nigerians are funny and confused people.This system works in most places.y should we not be planning it,if not for ourselves but for our kids,job seekers and disables. like this is not thesame country they say people live below a dollar a day. no matter how strong and hardworking u are. thr are times u need the system for support. i live in uk where i can drive at night,and where sanity is visible every where.am not saying is perfect here but it wild be different if they get thesame treatment we get from our government.
Re: Shouldn't Every Nigerian Be Entitled To A Monthly Allowance? by Ilekokonit: 1:39am On Nov 18, 2012
Before you castigate the poster, ask yourself the reason unemployment, homelessness, hunger and general hopelessness does not push any legal resident of the UK into Armed Robbery like it does in Nigeria ?

If a legal resident of the UK chooses to commit Armed Robbery then it is not because of hunger and it's most likely to fund a drug habit or because of sheer greed.

The UK Govt looks after its citizens from cradle to grave and has a safety net called "social security" that is designed to catch you if you fall on hard times through no fault of your own.

Your housing and feeding (for all legal citizens) becomes the responsibility of the government until you get a job at which time you have no choice but to pay back into the social security pot by way of PAYE Tax and National Insurance Contributions that is then used to fund social security payments to the currently unemployed, child benefits and pension payments to the elderly.

And both able bodied people and the disabled are entitled to this safety net as long as for the able bodied he or she can show regular verifiable evidence of their job search activity.

And the UK does not have the oil that Nigeria has !!! BUT what they have is a system that will continue to work into perpetuity because it was designed with fairness and an even distribution of wealth in mind

Tell me how the violent crime as a result of hunger will not be low in such climes ?

WHY CAN'T THE UNEMPLOYED PEOPLE AND PENSIONERS IN NIGERIA HAVE SUCH A LIFE SAVING SYSTEM

The UK system is not perfect and you have the odd greedy person who cons the system out of money they were not entitled to but if caught, they pay the penalty which could be a prison sentence of 6 months or in one severe case a prison term of about 2 years for a con carried out on the system 25 years earlier.

Also, you do get some people who become lazy and make a life out of living on benefits but a) the system eventually catches up with them and b) the amount given to them is just enough to keep body and soul together and is not enough to tempt someone with dreams to want to depend on for life.

Just because some people might abuse a noble system is no reason not to introduce such a life saving system in Nigeria. The benefits of such a system far outweigh the disadvantages.

Compare this with Nigeria where even disabled people with no family to support them have to fend for themselves. I continue to say it that a lot of the violent crime in Nigeria will stop if such a safety net such as outlined above is introduced in Nigeria.

Funding such a system in Nigeria

If the so called overdraft and/or lootocratic billionaires like Otedola, Dangote, Adenuga, IBB, OBJ, Danjuma, Atiku, Abdusalami Abubakar paid their fair share of taxes to the Government coffers then it is possible in Nigeria. Remember that Danjuma stated in 2009 that he made 2 Billion dollars from an oil well given to him by Abacha and he does not know what to do with the money. Yet millions of Nigerian adults, children, the sick and the disabled are going to bed hungry or half full every night !!!!!

If only 20% of all the money stolen by Nigerian politicians at all levels is collated and used to fund such a scheme as described above, I am 110% sure that crime will be drastically reduced in Nigeria AS NO ONE WILL GO TO BED HUNGRY AND DESPERATE.

We need a safety net in Nigeria to catch and cater for the feeding and housing of the desperate poor in Nigeria. A hungry man is an angry man.

And because no condition is permanent (as the Global recession has shown and continues to show us), we should not pour scorn on any effort to at least feed and house the poor in our midst as the events of the past 4 years have shown us that, let him that stand take heed lest he falls since NO ONE IS IMMUNE TO THE EFFECTS OF THE GLOBAL RECESSION THAT HAS TURNED ERSTWHILE MIDDLE CLASS FAMILIES TO NOW DEPEND ON FOOD HANDOUTS.

But the sad aspect in Nigeria is that our leaders know perfectly well that the idea is a noble one but they will not do it because a) it reduces the amount they can steal and b) such regular life saving payments to the poor will mean that there is no longer a large pool of desperate Nigerians for the politicians to abuse and exploit for the menial jobs which their own children will not do.

There is no country in the world with 100% employment which is why Governments who see it as their duty NOT to look after their own pockets and those of their cronies BUT to look after the unemployed and less priviledged in their societies introduced such a safety net as described above.

Where there is a will there is a way. But only a God sent leader can implement this in Nigeria not the current devils ruling us.

Need I say more to our wicked and deaf leaders whose conscience has been seared with hot iron and they are now irredeemably wicked and hostile to the well being of the long suffering Nigerian masses

1 Like

Re: Shouldn't Every Nigerian Be Entitled To A Monthly Allowance? by ebankole: 2:02am On Nov 18, 2012
I want to apologise for some of the errors in my recent posts and or comments i'm on mobile phone with screen problem.Its amazing that there're still some nigerians who can contribute their quota without being insultive,why some frustrated,invisible elements are just out here to pour out their frustrations.This's all about HOPE.
Re: Shouldn't Every Nigerian Be Entitled To A Monthly Allowance? by CuntDestroyer1: 2:04am On Nov 18, 2012
ebankole: I want to apologise for some of the errors in my recent posts and or comments i'm on mobile phone with screen problem.Its amazing that there're still some nigerians who can contribute their quota without being insultive,why some frustrated,invisible elements are just out here to pour out their frustrations.This's all about HOPE.

coming from somebody that started a post calling for the death penalty.

How fuustrated can anyone be who opens a thread calling for gullotine inspired revolts?
Re: Shouldn't Every Nigerian Be Entitled To A Monthly Allowance? by Sagamite(m): 2:12am On Nov 18, 2012
Ilekokonit: Before you castigate the poster, ask yourself the reason unemployment, homelessness, hunger and general hopelessness does not push any legal resident of the UK into Armed Robbery like it does in Nigeria ?

If a legal resident of the UK chooses to commit Armed Robbery then it is not because of hunger and it's most likely to fund a drug habit or because of sheer greed.

The UK Govt looks after its citizens from cradle to grave and has a safety net called "social security" that is designed to catch you if you fall on hard times through no fault of your own.

Your housing and feeding (for all legal citizens) becomes the responsibility of the government until you get a job at which time you have no choice but to pay back into the social security pot by way of PAYE Tax and National Insurance Contributions that is then used to fund social security payments to the currently unemployed, child benefits and pension payments to the elderly.

And both able bodied people and the disabled are entitled to this safety net as long as for the able bodied he or she can show regular verifiable evidence of their job search activity.

And the UK does not have the oil that Nigeria has !!! BUT what they have is a system that will continue to work into perpetuity because it was designed with fairness and an even distribution of wealth in mind

Tell me how the violent crime as a result of hunger will not be low in such climes ?

WHY CAN'T THE UNEMPLOYED PEOPLE AND PENSIONERS IN NIGERIA HAVE SUCH A LIFE SAVING SYSTEM

The UK system is not perfect and you have the odd greedy person who cons the system out of money they were not entitled to but if caught, they pay the penalty which could be a prison sentence of 6 months or in one severe case a prison term of about 2 years for a con carried out on the system 25 years earlier.

Also, you do get some people who become lazy and make a life out of living on benefits but a) the system eventually catches up with them and b) the amount given to them is just enough to keep body and soul together and is not enough to tempt someone with dreams to want to depend on for life.

Just because some people might abuse a noble system is no reason not to introduce such a life saving system in Nigeria. The benefits of such a system far outweigh the disadvantages.

Compare this with Nigeria where even disabled people with no family to support them have to fend for themselves. I continue to say it that a lot of the violent crime in Nigeria will stop if such a safety net such as outlined above is introduced in Nigeria.

Funding such a system in Nigeria

If the so called overdraft and/or lootocratic billionaires like Otedola, Dangote, Adenuga, IBB, OBJ, Danjuma, Atiku, Abdusalami Abubakar paid their fair share of taxes to the Government coffers then it is possible in Nigeria. Remember that Danjuma stated in 2009 that he made 2 Billion dollars from an oil well given to him by Abacha and he does not know what to do with the money. Yet millions of Nigerian adults, children, the sick and the disabled are going to bed hungry or half full every night !!!!!

If only 20% of all the money stolen by Nigerian politicians at all levels is collated and used to fund such a scheme as described above, I am 110% sure that crime will be drastically reduced in Nigeria AS NO ONE WILL GO TO BED HUNGRY AND DESPERATE.

We need a safety net in Nigeria to catch and cater for the feeding and housing of the desperate poor in Nigeria. A hungry man is an angry man.

And because no condition is permanent (as the Global recession has shown and continues to show us), we should not pour scorn on any effort to at least feed and house the poor in our midst as the events of the past 4 years have shown us that, let him that stand take heed lest he falls since NO ONE IS IMMUNE TO THE EFFECTS OF THE GLOBAL RECESSION THAT HAS TURNED ERSTWHILE MIDDLE CLASS FAMILIES TO NOW DEPEND ON FOOD HANDOUTS.

But the sad aspect in Nigeria is that our leaders know perfectly well that the idea is a noble one but they will not do it because a) it reduces the amount they can steal and b) such regular life saving payments to the poor will mean that there is no longer a large pool of desperate Nigerians for the politicians to abuse and exploit for the menial jobs which their own children will not do.

There is no country in the world with 100% employment which is why Governments who see it as their duty NOT to look after their own pockets and those of their cronies BUT to look after the unemployed and less priviledged in their societies introduced such a safety net as described above.

Where there is a will there is a way. But only a God sent leader can implement this in Nigeria not the current devils ruling us.

Need I say more to our wicked and deaf leaders whose conscience has been seared with hot iron and they are now irredeemably wicked and hostile to the well being of the long suffering Nigerian masses

Part of the reason the UK does not have armed robbery is because they have a good police force and a culture of hard work.

Also learn that the UK has more oil than Nigeria if you take into consideration oil production per capita. Some of you have been fooled by this rubbish about Nigerian oil. The UK has a lot of oil, they just consume it all. Nigeria is only famous for oil because we export it, we do not have the economy to consume it. We export it and do not consume it like the UK because we are backwards and under-developed. Being an oil exporter is nothing to be proud of. It is a shame!

Don't compare a welfare system to what this person is advocating: National sharing of cake.

Moreover, how do you expect a country without records or data to set up a welfare system?

A country that does not even have a reliable census?

A country that has porous borders?

A country full of morally bankrupt and dubious minded people?

A country that can't pay pensions old people worked for is the one you think the corrupt officials will pay benefits to young, able people that did not work for it?

Stop dreaming!

Never compare what is being done in the UK to Nigeria.
Re: Shouldn't Every Nigerian Be Entitled To A Monthly Allowance? by Turbocharged: 3:58am On Nov 18, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

You dont want welfare for Nigerians

Smh.
Welfare... yes. What other welfare will be better than quality and affordable education & healthcare, well maintained infrastructures and amenities, well established institutions, and a conducive environment for businesses to thrive.
With the above, reasonable hardworking people should be okay. Not looking for a Santa Claus government.
Re: Shouldn't Every Nigerian Be Entitled To A Monthly Allowance? by Felixadded(m): 11:20am On Nov 18, 2012
ebankole: One thing i meditate on a daily basis is'HOW DO WE STOP POVERTY and REDUCE CRIME?

1-As a nigerian every citizen should be entitle to a monthly allowance ofcos out OIL money.

2 Education should be make compulsory out of this benefit.

3-Every Gov'ts at all level shuld be made to sign A performance agreement,and if fail shuld be expurge.

Any caught embezling our money shud be excuted.

Wat's ur say.?
U need to see lots of frustrations which which youth are going through, most especially, the unemployed graduates. They should start with unemployed youth.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari's School Certificate: How Real? / Ogoni Clean-up: Nothing Has Started... / Nigeria Custom Generates N95.7Billion In August

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.