Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:51 AM

Should Buhari Contest For Presidency Again In 2015? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should Buhari Contest For Presidency Again In 2015? (18615 Views)

Which Competent Ministers Should Buhari Retain? / Picture: If This Was True, Then Why Is GEJ Running For Presidency Again ? / I Think It Will Be A Long Time Till A Northerner Wins The Presidency Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Buhari Contest For Presidency Again In 2015? by omenziate(m): 11:29pm On Dec 04, 2012
Buhari can never b President of Nigeria again and u can take it to Barclay's bank. What is dat his favourite quote again? The one with d "monkey and baboon blood mixing"? . Of course, he can contest but he would fail and weep yet again and dis time I pray youth corpers won't b killed because of his incendiary speeches.

1 Like

Re: Should Buhari Contest For Presidency Again In 2015? by Nobody: 11:30pm On Dec 04, 2012
Chamber10:

@OP, why are u avoiding to comment on the issues raised above? I'm all ears abeg

How many times do I have to reply same comment? The person posting that should read the thread for my reply.

People are just posting the same thing that really doesn't take anything from Buhari's integrity!
Re: Should Buhari Contest For Presidency Again In 2015? by Nobody: 11:32pm On Dec 04, 2012
omenziate: Buhari can never b President of Nigeria again and u can take it to Barclay's bank. What is dat his favourite quote again? The one with d "monkey and baboon blood mixing"? . Of course, he can contest but he would fail and weep yet again and dis time I pray youth corpers won't b killed because of his incendiary speeches.

If Buhari or people like him can't rule, Nigeria, forget about Nigeria! It's going to be chaos and more chaos!!
Re: Should Buhari Contest For Presidency Again In 2015? by hubreality(m): 11:32pm On Dec 04, 2012
0lumide:

Yea, and we should blame GEJ for the October first bombing by MEND! GEJ openly came out and said MEND didn't do it but MEND themselves said they did it!!

Wow!!!!! Look at you hypocrites!! look at your selves!!!
Even the innocently slain, crying spirits, and providence will definitely stand strong against him and supporters on such selfish ambition. Heartless breed without regards and value for human lives.

3 Likes

Re: Should Buhari Contest For Presidency Again In 2015? by mikron(m): 11:32pm On Dec 04, 2012
dem curse am with erection sorry election?
Re: Should Buhari Contest For Presidency Again In 2015? by taharqa: 11:38pm On Dec 04, 2012
4evergod2:

They say some are born deep thinkers while others have deep thinking thrust upon them. Obviously you and sincere 9gerian are not in any of those categories. Any right thinking Nigerian knows that the core issue with Nigeria is corruption. Falling standard of education can be traced to corruption, crime is traceable to corruption, quota system is simply corruption, Per infrastructure Obviously you dont know about the second port harcourt refinery which was built in the days of buhari and was refining 150,000 barrells of crude daily.

The government through the NNPC then under Buhari's leadership, expanded domestic refining capacity by contracting the building refineries in Kaduna (completed in 1980) and Warri (1978), and subsequently the expansion of Port Harcourt (1989) to a total national refining capacity of 445,000.

The NNPC under Buhari built the Warri and Kaduna refineries,20 depots and laid over 3000kms of pipelines,well over $1b was spent on TAM under Obj alone without any of them functioning.

Which Federal road was dilapidated in the days of Buhari? Name just one.
Let me cut the chase and go straight to my questn : Kaduna Refinery was built in 1980; Warri Refinery in 1978; Port Harcourt 1 in 1965 and Port Harcourt 2 in 1989; Buhari ruled 1983-1985.... What were u saying again about refineries bn built during his time. Am just interestd in d claim cos one of u listd 'facilitating' the building of refineries to me as one of his 5 greatest achievements when he was president... I just want to be clear plz

3 Likes

Re: Should Buhari Contest For Presidency Again In 2015? by charlesditro: 11:47pm On Dec 04, 2012
0lumide:

Thank you very much..

Trust me no matter how old Buhari is, as long as his mental capability is good, he is the best man for the Job. Becoming a king maker is something we don't want for our Democracy at all.. Let him contest again! We will start donations.

Given the chance and Buhari comes openly to say he won't islamize Nigeria nor have any intention to do so, will you vote for him?
una plan no go work.

2 Likes

Re: Should Buhari Contest For Presidency Again In 2015? by lynton(m): 11:50pm On Dec 04, 2012
Nashville: In a opinion he should not. Nigerians have rejected him three times already and I do not think they will accept him a fourth time. As someone said earlier, he already has a bad image especially in the South and he has done little to change it. People just see him as an Islamist and I cant see the justification.

If he truely means well, he should find a credible person within his party or another party to support - someone more electable than him and who carries his vision. Presidency is not about personal ambition, it is about serving the people and if they have rejected you, then you need to accept it and move on.

I also wouldn't vote for him if he contested. Although he says he will fight corruption, I do not think he has a great understanding of 21st century issues. I personally will not support anyone with a military background as I think we have had enough of them. And we have had enough of GEJ too. Let's see

@Nashville.
Are you the Nigerians that rejected him? And who told you that Gen. Buhari has Ω̶̣̣̥̇̊oτ̣̣̥ supporter i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ the South? You absolutely wrong on that. You are only living i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ A̶̲̥̅ world of assumption. I'm from the South-East and I'm A̶̲̥̅ big supporter of Gen. Buhari. Aren't you tired of PDP? Gen. Buhari Ȋ̝̊̅§ our only option for now and we all must put sentiments aside and support him. He will surely deliver.
Re: Should Buhari Contest For Presidency Again In 2015? by nnapal(m): 11:53pm On Dec 04, 2012
0lumide:

The support for Jonathan was sentimental nothing short of that bro.

Your points as to why Buhari can't win are rather very very corrupt. Corrupt in the sense that having someone who has the quality you prescribed doesn't guarantee a true leader.

If you are a south Christian, will you vote for Buhari? given the fact that he has proven himself to be a selfless, corrupt free, economic savvy leader with his track record. If yes, then I doubt you are the only Southern Christian that will vote for him. Bakare is a Christian and I bet you all the people in his church will vote for Buhari though small in number. In the west, Tinubu is a Muslim, so is Fashola and I bet you that didn't stop Christians from voting for him. I doubt Edo people will hug an unsophisticated rejection base on religion.

Don't generalize the south. We aren't the same. Politically, there is no south because ACN has the west, PDP have 99% of the rest. But if Buhari can have the west and North, I think the vote of Bayelsa, Akwa Ibom, Delta, Rivers, Calabar, Enugu etc can't stop him.

Remember if the west didn't vote for GEJ, he wouldn't have won even with east and south south votes.

And about a visionary leader, check Buhari's track record. GEJ wasn't a military leader and here we are still borrowing money and wallowing in corruption.

I swear your post makes me think you hate the man! He has every quality of a leader Nigeria need. At least to lay a strong foundation and pave the way for better leaders.

Buhari 2015
Is true dat from past history, he ruled well but he used high handedness to rule and again all dis killings in d north-from d after election crisis to Bokoharam-who ignited all(alledgelly he was said to have sworn dat Nigeria will never again see peace under d administraction of Gej). D south are very sour of him. He has discredited him by dat crises.

1 Like

Re: Should Buhari Contest For Presidency Again In 2015? by Nobody: 12:01am On Dec 05, 2012
lynton:

@Nashville.
Are you the Nigerians that rejected him? And who told you that Gen. Buhari has Ω̶̣̣̥̇̊oτ̣̣̥ supporter i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ the South? You absolutely wrong on that. You are only living i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ A̶̲̥̅ world of assumption. I'm from the South-East and I'm A̶̲̥̅ big supporter of Gen. Buhari. Aren't you tired of PDP? Gen. Buhari Ȋ̝̊̅§ our only option for now and we all must put sentiments aside and support him. He will surely deliver.

Abi oo... Help us ask them. Who rejected Buhari? Buhari is the winner and unless he dies, he remain our best choice.

Let them name someone else who can do the job that is not under the claws of some political master.

Even though I said using Tribe, Age and religion shouldn't be a reason to say no to Buhari. I still had to debate with the simple minded reasons and they can't pin a crime on the man that will stick.
Re: Should Buhari Contest For Presidency Again In 2015? by Nobody: 12:06am On Dec 05, 2012
0lumide:

Abi oo... Help us ask them. Who rejected Buhari? Buhari is the winner and unless he dies, he remain our best choice.

Let them name someone else who can do the job that is not under the claws of some political master.

Even though I said using Tribe, Age and religion shouldn't be a reason to say no to Buhari. I still had to debate with the simple minded reasons and they can't pin a crime on the man that will stick.

He does not have to be a criminal for us to reject him. I asked you earlier where he got all the money for these elections and you will never answer. Majority of Nigerians do not want him and he should get the message - so should you! This is democracy! I will pick Fashola, Rochas, Utomi and Ribadu over Buhari anyday, just to name a few!

2 Likes

Re: Should Buhari Contest For Presidency Again In 2015? by Arysexy(m): 12:06am On Dec 05, 2012
I RADA VOTE A GOAT THAN VOTE BUHARI
Re: Should Buhari Contest For Presidency Again In 2015? by takedat(m): 12:11am On Dec 05, 2012
taharqa: Let me cut the chase and go straight to my questn : Kaduna Refinery was built in 1980; Warri Refinery in 1978; Port Harcourt 1 in 1965 and Port Harcourt 2 in 1989; Buhari ruled 1983-1985.... What were u saying again about refineries bn built during his time. Am just interestd in d claim cos one of u listd 'facilitating' the building of refineries to me as one of his 5 greatest achievements when he was president... I just want to be clear plz
Not interested in the topic. Buhari did not build any refinery but he expanded the total domestic refining capacity of the refineries to the current 445000bpd guess that is an achievement on its own
Re: Should Buhari Contest For Presidency Again In 2015? by Nobody: 12:14am On Dec 05, 2012
nnapal:
Is true dat from past history, he ruled well but he used high handedness to rule and again all dis killings in d north-from d after election crisis to Bokoharam-who ignited all(alledgelly he was said to have sworn dat Nigeria will never again see peace under d administraction of Gej). D south are very sour of him. He has discredited him by dat crises.

Take note: The only south there is in Nigeria is geographical as it is now. There is no south politically, religiously, economically.

Obasanjo said do or die affair but I bet people in south still voted for him in 2003.

Buhari has nothing to do with the election violence and it was only natural given the make up of Nigeria. If Jonathan lost, it would have been the same thing in south with MEND blowing shiit up. Since that is an hypothetical case, I'll say what of the OCT 1st bombing that MEND did? That MEND said they did but Jonthan cam out to say no MEND didn't? Let's be honest!
Re: Should Buhari Contest For Presidency Again In 2015? by Nobody: 12:22am On Dec 05, 2012
Nashville:

He does not have to be a criminal for us to reject him. I asked you earlier where he got all the money for these elections and you will never answer. Majority of Nigerians do not want him and he should get the message - so should you! This is democracy! I will pick Fashola, Rochas, Utomi and Ribadu over Buhari anyday, just to name a few!

WOW!!!! He got donations from all over the country!!!!! That is proven and accepted name something else!!

Where did GEJ and PDP get the money for the last election? LMAO! Oyel money sweet ko?

Stop being blinded by hate and accept the truth. Fashola can not rule Nigeria better than Buhari can simple!!!

We need someone who understand that for Nigeria to progress, foreign pressure has to be ignored and our policies must be independent of loan agreements!

I'll vote Fashola and Buhari tho or Ribadu as president and Fashola. Buhari is the only candidate that can sweep the north again and we in the west already learnt our lessons "NOTHING LIKE SOUTHERN PEOPLE IT'S EVERYMAN ANSWER YA PAPA NAME" We will vote Buhari in the west even if PDP brings Fashola as a candidate. It's PDP and that's it!!
Re: Should Buhari Contest For Presidency Again In 2015? by Nobody: 12:23am On Dec 05, 2012
0lumide:

Take note: The only south there is in Nigeria is geographical as it is now. There is no south politically, religiously, economically.

Obasanjo said do or die affair but I bet people in south still voted for him in 2003.

Buhari has nothing to do with the election violence and it was only natural given the make up of Nigeria. If Jonathan lost, it would have been the same thing in south with MEND blowing shiit up. Since that is an hypothetical case, I'll say what of the OCT 1st bombing that MEND did? That MEND said they did but Jonthan cam out to say no MEND didn't? Let's be honest!

You keep saying there is no South and they do not hate Buhari. I ask you one question. Buhari has contested three presidential elections. TELL ME ONE SOUTHERN STATE HE WON in these elections. Please speak!
Re: Should Buhari Contest For Presidency Again In 2015? by hubreality(m): 12:29am On Dec 05, 2012
0lumide:

What better dishonesty and unrealiability than a supposed man of integrity not being a man of his words; he said he won't contest election again or go to election tribunal but CPC went to court on his behalf and he's now agitating for 2015, making blood bath and thirsting threats again. Corruption is not only when monies are stolen from public treasury but as such also. 2. We can not rule out his very old age by then. 3. His religious and ethnic extreemism are in his blood. E no get part two. He can say anything otherwise just like the ones he already said. People are wiser!

1 Like

Re: Should Buhari Contest For Presidency Again In 2015? by Nobody: 12:31am On Dec 05, 2012
Nashville:

You keep saying there is no South and they do not hate Buhari. I ask you one question. Buhari has contested three presidential elections. TELL ME ONE SOUTHERN STATE HE WON in these elections. Please speak!

show me the election was free and fair and I will tell you we hate Buhari.

Even in the east, all Jonathan courted was sentimental votes not merited at all.

Now that people have seen the evil of Jonathan, you think they'll vote him against Buhari? hahahaha

West and Northern votes for Buhari is enough to get the man to win if he contests! SS/SE can't win any where. The love for Jonathan is dead in the west and it's anyone but PDP. Right now, if Buhari come out, and there an is an election, even goat brain will not vote for PDP
Re: Should Buhari Contest For Presidency Again In 2015? by Nobody: 12:33am On Dec 05, 2012
hubreality:
What better dishonesty and unrealiability than a supposed man of integrity not being a man of his words; he said he won't contest election again or go to election tribunal but CPC went to court on his behalf and he's now agitating for 2015, making blood bath and thirsting threats again. Corruption is not only when monies are stolen from public treasury but as such also. 2. We can not rule out his very old age by then. 3. His religious and ethnic extreemism are in his blood. E no get part two. He can say anything otherwise just like the ones he already said. People are wiser!

And if that is the only reason to not vote for him, he is still the winner.

The current situation in Nigeria requires some one like him for clean up simple!!!
Re: Should Buhari Contest For Presidency Again In 2015? by Nobody: 12:35am On Dec 05, 2012
You are correct. Buhari did not build refineries as Head of State he build some as petroleum minister in the late 70s
taharqa: Let me cut the chase and go straight to my questn : Kaduna Refinery was built in 1980; Warri Refinery in 1978; Port Harcourt 1 in 1965 and Port Harcourt 2 in 1989; Buhari ruled 1983-1985.... What were u saying again about refineries bn built during his time. Am just interestd in d claim cos one of u listd 'facilitating' the building of refineries to me as one of his 5 greatest achievements when he was president... I just want to be clear plz
Re: Should Buhari Contest For Presidency Again In 2015? by Nobody: 12:36am On Dec 05, 2012
0lumide:

show me the election was free and fair and I will tell you we hate Buhari.

Even in the east, all Jonathan courted was sentimental votes not merited at all.

Now that people have seen the evil of Jonathan, you think they'll vote him against Buhari? hahahaha

West and Northern votes for Buhari is enough to get the man to win if he contests! SS/SE can't win any where. The love for Jonathan is dead in the west and it's anyone but PDP. Right now, if Buhari come out, and there an is an election, even goat brain will not vote for him.

Jonathan was only in 2011. What happened in 2007 and 2003. In 2007, he contested against a fellow northerner yet failed to win a single state in the south. In 2003, he contested against OBJ and the result was the same. You say the election wasnt free and fair. I ask you again, tell me one southern state Buhari won in these three elections!

I agree the opposition has a good chance of defeating GEJ in 2015 based on the fact that the West is tired of him and if there is a strong Northerner, then PDP may lose, but that person is not Buhari. He is unelectable in the South. I ask again, tell me one state that ever voted for this man in the South

1 Like

Re: Should Buhari Contest For Presidency Again In 2015? by Nobody: 12:53am On Dec 05, 2012
^
You cannot rely on results of rigged elections.

On NL Buhari won every poll against GEJ.
Re: Should Buhari Contest For Presidency Again In 2015? by hubreality(m): 12:58am On Dec 05, 2012
0lumide:

And if that is the only reason to not vote for him, he is still the winner.

The current situation in Nigeria requires some one like him for clean up simple!!!

No wise men or women who witnessed and followed how he forcely entered into govt 1983 via a bloody coup, dictatorshiply ruled in the name of fighting one sided corruption, no freedom of speech, his religious sentiments and comments pre and post elections in 2003, 2007 and 2011, the post election violences that claimed lives because he lost election can ever trust him. HE CAN NOT BE TRUSTED with his words either. His words now are just traps to attain his illusive power desperation. Good night Olumide BH.

1 Like

Re: Should Buhari Contest For Presidency Again In 2015? by Nobody: 1:05am On Dec 05, 2012
It was a bloodless coup, Buhari did not insigate it, he was selected after the coup was aleady complete.

Stop spreading lies about post election violence. Buhari was not behind the violence. Unless you can provide evidence you need to stop spreading malicious lies

hubreality:
No wise man or women who witnessed and followed how he forcely entered into govt 1983 via a bloody coup, dictatorshiply ruled in the name of fighting one sided corruption, no freedom of speech, his religious sentiments and comments pre and post elections in 2003, 2007 and 2011, the post election violences that claimed lives because he lost election can ever trust him. HE CAN NOT BE TRUSTED with his words either. His words now are just traps to attain his illusive power desperation. Good night Olumide BH.
Re: Should Buhari Contest For Presidency Again In 2015? by Nobody: 1:17am On Dec 05, 2012
4evergod2:

They say some are born deep thinkers while others have deep thinking thrust upon them. Obviously you and sincere 9gerian are not in any of those categories. Any right thinking Nigerian knows that the core issue with Nigeria is corruption. Falling standard of education can be traced to corruption, crime is traceable to corruption, quota system is simply corruption, Per infrastructure Obviously you dont know about the second port harcourt refinery which was built in the days of buhari and was refining 150,000 barrells of crude daily.

The government through the NNPC then under Buhari's leadership, expanded domestic refining capacity by contracting the building refineries in Kaduna (completed in 1980) and Warri (1978), and subsequently the expansion of Port Harcourt (1989) to a total national refining capacity of 445,000.

The NNPC under Buhari built the Warri and Kaduna refineries,20 depots and laid over 3000kms of pipelines,well over $1b was spent on TAM under Obj alone without any of them functioning.

Which Federal road was dilapidated in the days of Buhari? Name just one.
My friend stop your lies. FACTS ARE SACRED. Buhari was appointed federal commissioner of petroleum resources by OBJ in 1976, a position he held till 1979 when OBJ handed over. Did Buhari construct all the 3 refineries within a space of 2yrs or what? Even the credit of whatever little Buhari did as a commissioner should go to OBJ who appointed him and TOLD HIM WHAT TO DO.
The CORRECT history of our refineries is as follows:
1) Port harcourt refinery 1 was built by Shell/BP in 1965.
2) Port harcourt refinery 2 was commissioned in 1989 (where was Buhari then?)
3) Warri refinery was commissioned in 1978 (the only refinery commissioned while Buhari was commissioner but the work on it started far before Buhari came on board).
4) Kaduna refinery 1st phase was commissioned in 1980( Buhari was not in charge then)
5)Kaduna refinery 2nd phase was commissioned in 1982 ( Buhari was not in charge then)
FACTS ARE SACRED!!
http://www.nnpcgroup.com/nnpcbusiness/subsidiaries/wrpc.aspx
http://www.mbendi.com/indy/oilg/ogrf/af/ng/p0005.htm

4 Likes

Re: Should Buhari Contest For Presidency Again In 2015? by Nobody: 1:25am On Dec 05, 2012
You are wrong! Buhari was appointed Petroleum Minister after Obasanjo covertly assassinated Mohammed and became military ruler.
If Buhari had not been Petroleum minister Obasanjo would have looted the money for the refineries, the same way he had looted funds for his "operation feed the nation" to start his Ota farm.

Sincere 9gerian:
My friend stop your lies. FACTS ARE SACRED. Buhari was appointed federal commissioner of petroleum resources by OBJ in 1976, a position he held till 1979 when OBJ handed over. Did Buhari construct all the 3 refineries within a space of 2yrs or what? Even the credit of whatever little Buhari did as a commissioner should go to OBJ who appointed him and TOLD HIM WHAT TO DO.
The CORRECT history of our refineries is as follows:
1) Port harcourt refinery 1 was built by Shell/BP in 1965.
2) Port harcourt refinery 2 was commissioned in 1989 (where was Buhari then?)
3) Warri refinery was commissioned in 1978 (the only refinery commissioned while Buhari was commissioner but the work on it started far before Buhari came on board).
4) Kaduna refinery 1st phase was commissioned in 1980( Buhari was not in charge then)
5)Kaduna refinery 2nd phase was commissioned in 1982 ( Buhari was not in charge then)
FACTS ARE SACRED!!
http://www.nnpcgroup.com/nnpcbusiness/subsidiaries/wrpc.aspx
http://www.mbendi.com/indy/oilg/ogrf/af/ng/p0005.htm
Re: Should Buhari Contest For Presidency Again In 2015? by Noblechyk: 1:33am On Dec 05, 2012
Archmed: If there is one presidential aspirant who can call bluff,who is not coming 4rm a despirate political class,who has no godfather,who has seen it all in Nigerian government and Politics...its BUHARI..he is not perfect..No one Is,but i swear we will be better off with him!
and who & who would b ministers & SPA's under him. Dino Melaye? El Rufai? Tinubu? Don't Lawan was a righteous man til he was exposed. Ask question who was actually in control of affairs during his 2 years reign as military president.

1 Like

Re: Should Buhari Contest For Presidency Again In 2015? by Nobody: 1:47am On Dec 05, 2012
GenBuhari: You are wrong! Buhari was appointed Petroleum Minister after Obasanjo covertly assassinated Mohammed and became military ruler.
If Buhari had not been Petroleum minister Obasanjo would have looted the money for the refineries, the same way he had looted funds for his "operation feed the nation" to start his Ota farm.

Muhammad Buhari , Muhammad also spelled Muhammadu (born Dec. 17, 1942, Daura, Nigeria), Nigerian military leader and politician, who served as head of state (1984–85).
Educated largely in Katsina , Buhari took military training in Kaduna as well as in Great Britain, India, and the United States. He was INVOLVED in the military coup that ousted Yakubu Gowon in 1975 and was appointed military governor of North Eastern state (now Borno ) that same year. He WAS APPOINTED federal commissioner for petroleum resources BY Gen. Olusegun Obasanjo , who became military head of state when Gowon’s successor, Murtala Mohammed, was assassinated in 1976. By 1977 Buhari had become the military secretary at Supreme Military Headquarters, which was the seat of government. By September 1979 he had returned to regular army duties and commanded a division based in Kaduna. Although elected government had returned to Nigeria in 1979, dissatisfaction with what the military perceived as corrupt politicians led to another military coup on Dec. 31, 1983, and Buhari was chosen unanimously to be the new head of state.
INSURMOUNTABLE ECONOMIC PROBLEMS plagued the Buhari regime as petroleum prices collapsed in the face of EXPANDING FOREIGN DEPT. Buhari instituted austerity measures that caused SEVERE HARDSHIP to the average Nigerian. In addition, POLITICAL CORRUPTION CONTINUED unabated, with politicians escaping to Western countries with millions of dollars in government money. In an effort to STOP DISSENSION, Buhari instituted restrictions on the press, political freedoms, and trade unionists. By August 1985 even the military had had enough,and Ibrahim Babangida took control of the government. Buhari was detained in Benin City but was released at the end of 1988.
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/83801/Muhammad-Buhari
Only FOOLS will be deceived!!

3 Likes

Re: Should Buhari Contest For Presidency Again In 2015? by searay(m): 2:23am On Dec 05, 2012
If Buhari should contest 2015 Presidential elections then what should be the place of this popular saying "Youths are the leaders of tomorrow" in the Nigeria?
Re: Should Buhari Contest For Presidency Again In 2015? by Nobody: 2:26am On Dec 05, 2012
[size=18pt]The Achievement of General Muhammadu Buhari At PTF[/size]

By COMRADE AREMU

Obasanjo never hid his disgust for General Sani Abacha who had jailed him for a phantom coup. Released from jail and still wallowing in a fit of new found spirituality, he wrote a book and called it. The Animal Called Man. And he elected to wage a battle on this Animal Called Man. While taking his oath of office at the Eagle Square on 27th May, 1999, he had pledged to wrestle corruption out of our national psyche. In a fit of mediaeval triumphalism, he chanted: there will be no sacred cows!
But his first attack was a disaster. No sooner had he made that declaration than he dispatched Mallam Haroun Adamu to the headquarters of the Petroleum Trust Fund (PTF), an intervention agency run by General Muhammadu Buhari, to start the war on corruption. Haroun Adamu’s public brief was to wind down PTF but the hidden one was to disgrace General Buhari by exposing the shady deals in PTF.
Contractors working for PTF were used to picking their cheques across the counter without much ado. Under the new inquisitor, contractors discovered they now had to oil their cheques out, something alien to the PTF they knew. They cried foul. And there were several other fouls after the first foul. To say that Obasanjo was thoroughly embarrassed by his minions would be an understatement, so much so that till date he does not discuss PTF in public.

As a General, it would appear that Obasanjo read Sun Tzu’ s The Art of War upside down. Sun Tzu had counselled: Know thyself; know thy enemy. You will fight a thousand battles without defeat. The blitzkrieg he deployed only showed he did not know PTF. He might not have needed to fire a shot to win or wean PTF. To date, most Nigerians knew how PTF started, what it did but not how it ended. Not known as one who forgives, was it not surprising that General Buhari walked the streets with his head high throughout Obasanjo’s imperial majesty when the fear of EFCC was the beginning of political wisdom?

In October 1994, General Sani Abacha increased the pump price of petrol from N3.25k to N11.00 per litre. Nigerians assailed him with criticisms for this unpopular move and to assuage their feelings, he quickly established the Petroleum (Special) Trust Fund to use a portion of the proceeds of the increase to intervene in critical sectors of the economy. Nigerians never took Abacha seriously on this project until Gen Muhammadu Buhari was announced and inaugurated the chairman of the PTF in March 1995. That PTF awarded contracts worth billions of naira is not news. The news the PTF made within the four years it existed was and still is that contracts awarded were executed to their logical conclusion and for those not executed, the PTF got every kobo back. Before PTF, contractors were used to abandoning contracts and bolting away with their advance payments. It never happened in PTF. When Buhari visited the Onitsha end of the Enugu-Onitsha express way awarded to a local contractor and discovered the job was abandoned, he simply called on the bank that guaranteed the contractor to pay back. There and then, the contract was terminated and later awarded to another contractor. From that moment, banks and insurance companies that provided bonds to contractors learnt that the old order had changed and had to monitor projects it guaranteed.

For the years it existed, PTF published its annual reports and always addressed press conferences to respond to issues arising from the reports. And each time it did, it challenged anybody who could deliver on any of its projects at a price cheaper than what it cost the PTF to submit his proposal. Nobody ever did.
In one of the presentations of its annual report, the Executive Secretary of the Board of the PTF, Chief Tayo Akpata, maintained that the roads constructed by the PTF not only cost less than World Bank funded roads but were also better qualitatively. He challenged anyone to prove the contrary. Until the PTF was scrapped, nobody did.

While the PTF existed, contractors never needed to lobby and grease palms to get LPO’s. You only needed to belong to the appropriate group of the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria and other professional groups to qualify. Not a few contractors received requests to supply the PTF in the comfort of their offices. It was so unbelievably true that some had to travel to Abuja to reconfirm if the LPO’s they received were genuine. And genuine they were.

To be paid for a completed contract, all the contractor needed was to present a certificate of completion issued by the ubiquitous consultants engaged by the PTF and his cheque would be prepared. And with a proper letter of introduction, a contractor could send a third party to pick his check across a counter in the Finance Department without any ceremony. One cannot also forget in a hurry the PTF drug revolving scheme.

Under this, the PTF set up offices in hospitals across the country and supplied them with drugs. The financial consultants employed by the Fund ensured that receipts from the sales of the drugs were used to replenish the stocks in an unending cycle that banished out-of-stock anthem the Nigerian public were forced to listen to before then. And it was not easy to divert PTF drugs to the parallel market. The smallest tablet supplied had PTF logo engraved on it. Somebody attempted diverting the drugs and was caught. General Buhari took up the case personally and ensured the culprit went to jail. After that, nobody heard of diversions again.

The strategy of the PTF in procuring these drugs is worth reviewing. Over 60% of the drugs supplied to the PTF were locally produced. In fact, the PTF only imported drugs that could not be produced by the local pharmaceutical firms. The pressure on the existing pharmaceutical companies was so much that almost all these firms had to increase their capacity by expanding and employing more hands. Neimeth Pharmaceuticals, Emzor Pharmaceuticals among others can be contacted to affirm or disprove this. This policy was deliberately made to ensure that more jobs were created within the economy.

Builders who built for PTF would also tell you that they were not allowed to import paints. There was a list of all the paint manufacturers in the country maintained at the PTF from which builders bought paints. Within the same period, the capacity utilisation in these companies soared as they expanded and created more jobs. A look at the records kept by IPWA plc and other existing paint makers within the period under review is worth attempting to digest the profundity of the PTF intervention in the building sector; and other sectors it intervened in as its model was so overarching that critics labelled it the alternative government.

This column is not enough to put in a proper perspective the job General Buhari undertook and did while in PTF but it suffices through this glimpse to understand the mindset and the strategy of this maelstrom which the ruling elite hate for his forthrightness – a quality in short supply in governance today.
One can cite the number of roads and hospitals rehabilitated by the PTF. One can also quote the billions it spent. The essence of the PTF, however, lies more in the multiplier effect its intervention had on the economy as a whole than in the number of what it did, which on its own was equally impressive. This distinction is what differentiates growth from development. While the former is quantitative, the latter is qualitative. As a political economist, I know that the economic development of any third world country lies in qualitative transformation.

Before the coming of PTF, General Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida had introduced the Structural Adjustment Programme (SAP) which he had claimed had no alternative. The revered economist, Professor Sam Aluko, had also reminded him that economics was a science of alternatives; that even death had an alternative which was life and that SAP was a kiss of death. IBB was to acknowledge the failure of SAP when out of frustration around 1991, he exclaimed that the Nigerian economy had defied all known economic theories and was surprised that the economy had not collapsed.

The economy did not collapse. The PTF intervention ensured it did not. This was the lesson OBJ failed to grasp when he dissolved the Fund with executive fiat in 1999. As at 1997, funds available to the PTF was about N115 billion and Nigerians could point at projects the fund was expended on. A decade after PTF, the governments from OBJ’s to date had spent much more than that in the power sector alone and have not been able to generate even a megawatt more of electricity.

Managing public funds is serious business. General Muhammadu Buhari was fond of telling contractors on visit to sites: If you perform well, you get a handshake. If you perform badly, you get a handcuff. This is the mantra we need at this historical juncture. The man that incarnates this mantra out of the available presidential candidates is General Muhammadu Buhari.
There is also a lesson to be learnt from the day Buhari left PTF. Obasanjo, on assumption of office, announced the setting up of the interim management committee led by Mallam Haroun Adamu to wind down PTF. The following day, Buhari addressed a press conference and invited the new management to immediately take over. He told Nigerians that everything the new management needed were in the records to which they would have unhindered access. He bid his staff farewell, descended the stairs, literally jumped into his four wheel drive that took him home to Daura. He never stepped into that premises again to this day. And he never fled the country to escape the EFCC.

http://desertherald.com/the-achievement-of-general-muhammadu-buhari-at-ptf/
Re: Should Buhari Contest For Presidency Again In 2015? by Nobody: 3:23am On Dec 05, 2012
@GENBUHARI

Thanks for coming in oo!!! Please help me tell these people why we need this man as the leader of this nation.
Re: Should Buhari Contest For Presidency Again In 2015? by Nobody: 3:28am On Dec 05, 2012
General Buhari is our true patriot! We need his help one more time.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Biafra: IPOB Dead And Gone – Lai Mohammed / NNPC Hints Of Fuel Pump Price Rise, Says N145 Cheapest In West Africa / Tinubu: There Are Indications Wike May Work Against Atiku – Adeyanju

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.