Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,578 members, 7,770,513 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 11:19 AM

How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. - Events (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. (23197 Views)

My Wedding Pixs / My Wedding Pictures. / My Wedding Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by Nobody: 10:54am On Dec 11, 2012
Curious_city: Same people asking for accountability from people in gov't think it is "un-African" for someone to be accountable on his/her wedding day. Our greed for free things makes our political office holders to show the present level of mediocrity. There is a big difference between someone's wedding ceremony and the community New Yam Festival. Positive things we should copy we won't, only copy negative body exposure/indecent dressing.

*Nods head*
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by aduje(m): 11:34am On Dec 11, 2012
zinfly: I need suggestions please. i am getting married soon and would like 300 guest maximum. i have already been advised by a few friends that they will be bringing their friends.

Firstly i find that rude as i understand weddings are meant for close friends and family.

I am considering getting bouncer and security.

Is this acceptable in Nigeria.
My sincere mind....If you are Yoruba by tribe, if the wedding is taking place in Lagos, Ibadan, Ijebu Ode etc you have to face it. It is one of those things. I guess you didn't grow up in 9ja...too bad. If you are from other tribe; say Ibo, Kogi, Edo, Fulani, Hausa etc. This is the solution (You need not to hire bouncers; fix your wedding on a Monday morning and choose any of the following as wedding venue 1) Rally Ground Maiduguri, Bornu State 2) Asa Dam road, Ilorin 3) Opp Uniben Maingate Ugbowo-Benin City 4) Besides Bridgehead, Asaba, Delta State 5) Otu-oke community primary school, Otu-oke Bayelsa state(GEJ Village) 6)Unilag Lagoon front (Unilag) Lagos 7) MFM Prayer City cool i will be back ok?
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by Rocktation(f): 12:17pm On Dec 11, 2012
^^did you just forget to add Aluu, Port Harcourt? grin
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by Nobody: 12:22pm On Dec 11, 2012
Rocktation: ^^did you just forget to add Aluu, Port Harcourt? grin
that one na only her and her husband go attend even satan no fit attend that wedding

1 Like

Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by somegirl1: 12:42pm On Dec 11, 2012
Na wa o
So someone can't decide who attends their own wedding?
Isn't 300 guests enough?
Parents' guests and guests of important guests would have been accounted for in the total number.
Why would I insist on bringing a friend when I've been warned in advance that they would not be admitted?

I totally subscribe to pre-ordering meals. That would certainly discourage unwanted guests.
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by dasparrow: 1:05pm On Dec 11, 2012
zinfly: I need suggestions please. i am getting married soon and would like 300 guest maximum. i have already been advised by a few friends that they will be bringing their friends.

Firstly i find that rude as i understand weddings are meant for close friends and family.

I completely understand where you are coming from. However, in Nigeria there are going to be people that will show up without being invited. It is the cultural norm. Maybe you should do your traditional wedding in Nigeria and the white wedding abroad. That way, the white wedding will be an intimate affair with only those guests invited showing up. Give it a thought.
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by Shokoloko(f): 1:11pm On Dec 11, 2012
u cant remove the gate crashers. but you may have a reserve area for your very special guests. secondly gate crashers are usually dressed casually. i wrote strictly formal on my card. casually dressed persons were sent home even if they were actually invited. start sharing food from ur reserve area. reduce the nos of ur cards to 150
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by Rocktation(f): 2:05pm On Dec 11, 2012
Shokoloko: u cant remove the gate crashers. but you may have a reserve area for your very special guests. secondly gate crashers are usually dressed casually. i wrote strictly formal on my card. casually dressed persons were sent home even if they were actually invited. start sharing food from ur reserve area. reduce the nos of ur cards to 150

shocked
shocked
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by anigold(m): 2:18pm On Dec 11, 2012
Emusan: Bro dont waste ur money pls.

Very simple, just anounce dat no item 7 gringringringrin
i bet you nobody wil come not even your relatives
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by zinfly: 3:20pm On Dec 11, 2012
some-girl:
Na wa o
So someone can't decide who attends their own wedding?
Isn't 300 guests enough?
Parents' guests and guests of important guests would have been accounted for in the total number.
Why would I insist on bringing a friend when I've been warned in advance that they would not be admitted?

I totally subscribe to pre-ordering meals. That would certainly discourage unwanted guests.

my dear the whole thing beats me. i feel even worse coming to NL to ask for advise. people are making me feel guilty and calling me stingy for not wanting people i know nothing about at my wedding. i wish people can just understand that it not about food or stingyness. i just want orderliness. i don't want people standing around and people looking confused not knowing where to go. i am not one of those brides that will calm down if i see my guest very confused and standing with a plate of food in their hands. All i want order. Uninvited guest in one way or the other inconvenience those who are bonafide guest. why is that so freaking too much to ask in a 21st century Nigeria.
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by Nobody: 3:34pm On Dec 11, 2012
zinfly:

my dear the whole thing beats me. i feel even worse coming to NL to ask for advise. people are making me feel guilty and calling me stingy for not wanting people i know nothing about at my wedding. i wish people can just understand that it not about food or stingyness. i just want orderliness. i don't want people standing around and people looking confused not knowing where to go. i am not one of those brides that will calm down if i see my guest very confused and standing with a plate of food in their hands. All i want order. Uninvited guest in one way or the other inconvenience those who are bonafide guest. why is that so freaking too much to ask in a 21st century Nigeria.

From the responses you now know the mindset of those gate crashers who are bent on coming in whether you like it or not,the more reason not to let them in
You have nothing to feel guilty about
Let the responses of those who insist you must allow all and sundry in in spur you to do all you can humanly do to keep them out.
I advised you have the reverend minister make an announcement after the church service that the reception is by invitation only.
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by manmustwack: 3:42pm On Dec 11, 2012
Dear zinfly na me o.your favorite uninvited officialy announced guest. I have to let you know weve found out about the church.I didnt know your father in-law is a pastor. Dat day go great beyond independence sef.
I went to get present for your today,an for lagoon i caught giant crocodile.jus 4u.
Na tarzan dem call me 4village.
If u prefer grasscutter i sabi catch dat one too.
My over extended reletives in bannana island have invited themselves.
I kno wat youre thinking."these nijah people self" Dont mind them jare.
We are not comin church,dats long,na de party be the main show.
we av bn hailing u since morning o.
if V.P. can dash tv an lapi we kno your own will be greater.
Na weekend we dey see food chop,so u need to kno dat two cows is the minimum for the masses.
My battalion of area boyz are shining their shoes from yesterday.
You do well O.
We salute you well O.
I can hear the drums beatin non-stop callin yr name.
thank you.you try O.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by zinfly: 4:04pm On Dec 11, 2012
babyosisi:

From the responses you now know the mindset of those gate crashers who are bent on coming in whether you like it or not,the more reason not to let them in
You have nothing to feel guilty about
Let the responses of those who insist you must allow all and sundry in in spur you to do all you can humanly do to keep them out.
I advised you have the reverend minister make an announcement after the church service that the reception is by invitation only.

i am really considering moving the whole thing from Nigeria. it will be cheaper. classy and memorable. i have really tried to be reasonable here. i eliminated ashebi cos i don't want that fuss. i have asked no one to contribute and i dont mind if you dont bring me a gift. both i and my fiance are fully responsible for our wedding. We just want a happy day less of moaning guest. the problem also is that Nigerians are not demure in their comment. i have seen people work their ass off to do wedding only for people to say the wedding was rubbish, there wasn't enough drinks and food. i was brought up to understand that you attend a wedding to show your support to the couple -food or no food. why do i have to waste my time and effort to please people i don't know. i think the more i read this comment, i become more adamant so that i will either move the whole thing or get heavily armed me. After the wedding i will pack my bags and go. its just cos my inlaws are too frail to attend abroad if not there will be no question about this ***Sigh***

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by manmustwack: 4:04pm On Dec 11, 2012
Goodnews for you O The people from village have found one trailer driver to carry dem.Ah god good O.All d way from oyinbo land to celebrate with us.
OLORUN A PESE FUN E O.
u see we are hailing u,prayin 4u and we dnt even kno u.Isnt africa great?
Im sure u will stay home and forget dat cold oyinbo land.Is it true they dont sell firewood?So how do u keep warm.
Na wa O.U must av serious coins to be comin home jus to feed us.
You are truely amongst the giants an big spenders.
Our gifts will impress you.U dnt av 2worry abt food,every body is bearing a captured bushmeat of some sort.
Area boyz/my battalion of 900 r bringin their wives an pikin so we will cook for the whole weekend.
As for seats,we are bringin our own. IS it true your husband has connection in brewery.
E don finish be dat.My jerry can go follow me reach house full.
Dont mind those people tellinh you long story wid big gramma inside.
Na lie dem dey talk,if u kno how much people party dem reach.even carry carrier bag of jolof go house.
We are hailing you.
You try sha.
No be 4dis nijah.?i kno say big spenders still dey.
Im comin someone is knockin door.
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by manmustwack: 4:21pm On Dec 11, 2012
SHEGE DANBURO BUBA See life O.I beg una o.b4 una enter canoe submarine or giant eagle reach oyinb land,make your people bless una well well O.
Dat way when una reach oyinbo man land una no go forget where una from.
Oyinbo land no be am O.
Na so persin go forget say na from village city take start.
Abeg wetin concern goat wid chewin stick.
Make u come feed the masses jare,Dis one no be tory.Na chop we wan chop.
Oyinbo africans/afropeans no sabi say na our job be dis sha.
4dis nijah? na lie u talk o. ama wole si e lara.

Boyzz are waitin wid huge belle and serious long throat.
Dis one wey i don capture crocodile finish.
Abeg make una talk better joor.where u dey pack load go?
Uneva reach u talk say u dey pack..Ok O.
Africa la wa O.
Nijah 4dat matta. We must chop ni O.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by zinfly: 4:24pm On Dec 11, 2012
manmustwack: SHEGE DANBURO BUBA See life O.I beg una o.b4 una enter canoe submarine or giant eagle reach oyinb land,make your people bless una well well O.
Oyinbo land no be am O.

Africa la wa O.

Manmustwack.... do you actually realize you are an uninvited guest on this thread. See how you are already causing much havoc where you are not wanted. i hope people can see why i want your type out...
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by Rocktation(f): 4:29pm On Dec 11, 2012
smileyManmustwack, thank you oo. We've had enough laughs for now. But Please ehnn, let's get back to being serious with the matter at hand, if we may. Let's not derail any further.
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by manmustwack: 4:34pm On Dec 11, 2012
BUT ITS A SERIOUS THING IM TRYIN TO SHOW ZINFLY,BUT OK MY MOUTH DON CLOSE.
Remember there is no village town or city in africa where there is such a thing as family and friends only
at a wedding,
It has never happn and god forbid it should.
i close mouth
i greetuna well
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by Nobody: 5:43pm On Dec 11, 2012
Don't put reception venue on the card send personal messages to those you want to attend but the problem there is if ur guest don't show up you and ur spouse will have to eat all the food

1 Like

Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by wizboi26(m): 5:50pm On Dec 11, 2012

Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by Goldieluks: 5:50pm On Dec 11, 2012
manmustwack: SHEGE DANBURO BUBA See life O.I beg una o.b4 una enter canoe submarine or giant eagle reach oyinb land,make your people bless una well well O.
Oyinbo land no be am O.

Africa la wa O.

Lmao, you are making matters worst. The OP wants orderliness in her wedding.
OP am sure you must have gotten your answers, so it is left for you to go and discuss it
with your sweetheart.
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by somegirl1: 8:16pm On Dec 11, 2012
zinfly:

i am really considering moving the whole thing from Nigeria. it will be cheaper. classy and memorable. i have really tried to be reasonable here. i eliminated ashebi cos i don't want that fuss. i have asked no one to contribute and i dont mind if you dont bring me a gift. both i and my fiance are fully responsible for our wedding. We just want a happy day less of moaning guest. the problem also is that Nigerians are not demure in their comment. i have seen people work their ass off to do wedding only for people to say the wedding was rubbish, there wasn't enough drinks and food. i was brought up to understand that you attend a wedding to show your support to the couple -food or no food. why do i have to waste my time and effort to please people i don't know. i think the more i read this comment, i become more adamant so that i will either move the whole thing or get heavily armed me. After the wedding i will pack my bags and go. its just cos my inlaws are too frail to attend abroad if not there will be no question about this ***Sigh***

Don't pay some serial wedding crashers on here any mind.
It is achievable. 300 guests is even too much sef.
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by Nobody: 8:49pm On Dec 11, 2012
zinfly:

Please do if you can
Less crowd but it will be memorable
I already have planned in my head what I intend to do for an anniversary celebration when it happens
It may not be cheaper than hiring a hall and throwing the gate open but it will be simple and classy and to my taste,exactly like I would want it done
Of course no asho ebi
My son as best man,daughter as maid of honor
It will be adults only no kids except mine,if I decide to have kids,they will be in a separate room attended to and served there.
There will be a full cocktail hour with heavy hor d'ovres and good music playing then after that we move into a dinner room with dinner and better dancing with the latest Nigerian rocking tunes and my childhood jams.
Not more than 100 intimate friends and family
People who matter to me
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by CoolKizzy(m): 9:44pm On Dec 11, 2012
bennie1980: Your action is Un-African and will only create enemies for you.

a million likes.
@op Prepare to see 'invited guests only' at ur funeral also. Cos if u create dis enemity now, no one will come near u in times of grief. This is africa wake up. we are africans for crying out loud.
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by CoolKizzy(m): 9:51pm On Dec 11, 2012
Kashif: When I wedded, I made it clear to guests that they should come alone. Many called to clarify, and I was firm! We wanted a maximum of 200 guests, and that was what we got! Many complained but I did not give a damn. People should learn to respect invitations. In abroad, you dont try it. If you get there, you will see the names of all the guests and their allocated tables. If your name is not there, you were not invited, and not wanted.

Last weekend, a friend 'invited' me to his friend's wedding. I declined, and gave him my reason(s). It is wrong. angry

ok now look around u. . . Dis place be lyk abroad for ur eyes?
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by Rocktation(f): 10:12pm On Dec 11, 2012
All jokes aside, it is possible. Infact, a friend did the same for 150 guests and it was quite successful. What she did was pay 1 million naira on the dot (as at 2009), to the management at Sheraton Hotels, and they took care of everything that concerns the reception for her. Food, bouncers, servers, ushers...
But again, her plan for 150 guests, couldn't have been absolute, as most of the drivers that brought her guests over, alongside some of the staff at the hotel, still had something to eat and even take home, I'm sure. Whatever you do anyways, just don't be too stringent with your rules. Best wishes, anyhoo. smiley
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by iamSi(m): 4:45am On Dec 12, 2012
I have another plan_ after doing what I asked u to do first_ set time for ur invited guests_ like 10prompt _ Then PUT ROTWILLERs or BuLL dogs _ no need bouncers that would work_ like the one wey happen for our gov. Mama burial _ Na cows dey road about the place_ see how ppl dey rub for Cows hahahahahahaha_ brother PUT DOGS and u'll know I am good_u'll pay me for my brain work sha Ooooo *waiting*
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by JeSoul(f): 4:39pm On Dec 12, 2012
zinfly:

Words of wisdom. Infact you have just expressed my exact feelings on weddings - in Nigeria or elsewhere. Please - do not bend to pressure. Do things the way you and your fiance want and you will have no regrets rather than trying to please 'unpleasable' people who do not care about you. Moving it to a 'calmer' location may be your best bet. You can return to naija for a 'thanksgiving' service/celebration for those relatives that cannot attend should you move it. I don't know why people believe that they are entitled eat freely of someone else's labor.

@babyosisi,
sister how body now? how you just take abandon us like that? How family & life? smiley hope all is sunshine.
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by Nobody: 7:40pm On Dec 12, 2012
JeSoul: Words of wisdom. Infact you have just expressed my exact feelings on weddings - in Nigeria or elsewhere. Please - do not bend to pressure. Do things the way you and your fiance want and you will have no regrets rather than trying to please 'unpleasable' people who do not care about you. Moving it to a 'calmer' location may be your best bet. You can return to naija for a 'thanksgiving' service/celebration for those relatives that cannot attend should you move it. I don't know why people believe that they are entitled eat freely of someone else's labor.

@babyosisi,
sister how body now? how you just take abandon us like that? How family & life? smiley hope all is sunshine

My dear sis,it is well with me and mine
Many blessings too innumerable,God has been good and faithful.
I trust you are doing good too..I can see the site has grown beyond measure.Yours is one of the few handles I still know
Where is Olabowale?,is he still around?
How about davidylan my young smart brother,is he married now?
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by JeSoul(f): 8:29pm On Dec 12, 2012
*sorry for off-topicking*
babyosisi:

My dear sis,it is well with me and mine
Many blessings too innumerable,God has been good and faithful.
I trust you are doing good too..I can see the site has grown beyond measure.Yours is one of the few handles I still know
Where is Olabowale?,is he still around?
How about davidylan my young smart brother,is he married now?
My sister we dey oh. I'm glad all is well with you and yours. It wasn't that long ago I stumbled upon that your "praising my God thread" complete with video and I was wondering where nwando was smiley.

The site dey. Though too many rugrats & pimply teenagers making noise lol. David is around...doing very well. He pops in the religion section frequently. The guy never marry oh, lol, see him talking on singles thread still. Olabowale has been missing since____. You should come by and say hi to your old friends, there're a few of us who missed you well well kiss smiley

1 Like

Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by LeJeun3: 7:02am On Dec 13, 2012
babyosisi:

Please do if you can
Less crowd but it will be memorable
I already have planned in my head what I intend to do for an anniversary celebration when it happens
It may not be cheaper than hiring a hall and throwing the gate open but it will be simple and classy and to my taste,exactly like I would want it done
Of course no asho ebi
My son as best man,daughter as maid of honor
It will be adults only no kids except mine,if I decide to have kids,they will be in a separate room attended to and served there.
There will be a full cocktail hour with heavy hor d'ovres and good music playing then after that we move into a dinner room with dinner and better dancing with the latest Nigerian rocking tunes and my childhood jams.
Not more than 100 intimate friends and family
People who matter to me

You said yours is an anniversary, Hers is a wedding! Plenty difference. Zinfly, one thing I learnt from Nigeria, is that such events as weddings etc are to benefit your parents. Forgive me for saying this your parents must have attended a few weddings where they weren't the hors d'ovre (special guests). So they will definately bear the brunt of whether it went well or not however if they r confy with it why not. My parents (Dad especially) doesn't go for any occasion uninvited so its easy for me to make a decision, but if my lady has been in all d ashewebi's or gone for many a weeding. . . . . . . . . Lest she becomes the most abused bribe. I don't go for weddings
Re: How Do I Keep Uninvited Wedding Guest Away From My Wedding. by somegirl1: 10:51am On Dec 13, 2012
LeJeun3: You said yours is an anniversary, Hers is a wedding! Plenty difference. Zinfly, one thing I learnt from Nigeria, is that such events as weddings etc are to benefit your parents. Forgive me for saying this your parents must have attended a few weddings where they weren't the hors d'ovre (special guests). So they will definately bear the brunt of whether it went well or not however if they r confy with it why not. My parents (Dad especially) doesn't go for any occasion uninvited so its easy for me to make a decision, but if my lady has been in all d ashewebi's or gone for many a weeding. . . . . . . . . Lest she becomes the most abused bribe. I don't go for weddings

do parents gate crash weddings

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Davido, Tiwa Savage To Perform In Africa’s Largest E-concert / Dresses For Bridesmaids And The Rest Of The Bridal Train; Who Should Pay? / With Love, From Makydebbie.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.