Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,506 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:28 PM

Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. (12380 Views)

What Do You Think Will Be My Greatest Challenge when i become the president? / GEJ'S Greatest Challenge. / Ojukwu's Burial: Crowd Control As The Greatest Challenge During Burial (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by muredo(m): 3:22pm On Dec 30, 2012
Jonathan is only daft president i have ever seen in my life,slowpoke PRESIDENT
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by OsunOriginal: 3:26pm On Dec 30, 2012
AjanleKoko: In a weird way, the guy is right.
It's our attitude that has led to corruption, among other things.

You dont seem to understand what GEJ is yabbing - read the OP again.

GEJ is saying bad road is not responsible for most of the accidents on our road but rather driving attitude of Nigerians - and justified this by the number of accidents on his "good" roads and the bad one. You know most Nigerians are reckless drivers and drunkards.

GJE needs help.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by Ryannn(m): 3:29pm On Dec 30, 2012
God punish those FRSC pipo. Like they have any true records or data. Another careless statement from GEJ undecided
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by maygah(f): 3:32pm On Dec 30, 2012
Attitudes that lead to corruption
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by Shanshani: 3:35pm On Dec 30, 2012
Oh my God i hear say the man na drunkard i no belief, but this time ebi like say he dey smoke egbo join.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by IYANGBALI: 3:37pm On Dec 30, 2012
Eko Ile:

Is this the reason why he's ignoring Benin Ore road and many federal roads in Nigeria?

BTW, you illiterate.

Lobby: a group of persons engaged in lobbying especially as representatives of a particular interest group

Bribe: money or favor given or promised in order to influence the judgment or conduct of a person in a position of trust.

pls help me to tell the americana who believes that corruption and lobbying are the same
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by mosunade(f): 3:37pm On Dec 30, 2012
http://thenationonlineng.net/new/news/fashola-advocates-attitudinal-change/

[size=14pt]Fashola advocates attitudinal change

[/size]

Lagos State Governor Babatunde Fashola has advocated change in attitude for things to be better in the country. Hosting members of the Island Club, Onikan, Lagos on Monday night, Fashola said the challenges facing the nation border on the choices people make daily. He said there was nothing wrong with the constitution, adding that it is the people that make the constitution and not the other way round.

Fashola said: “I think that with the right values, we can succeed even with the worst constitution. The Constitution can only be as good as what we put into it.”

He cited examples of nations across the world which have advanced and grown as a result of adherence to law and order. “I believe that the dreams we aspire to as a people and as a country cannot be delivered to us by anybody. We must want it hard enough to begin to act to earn it.

“Law and order must be our gold standard. No revolution will bring a better life to us either, because I have heard the various calls for revolution. But the revolution we need is in our hearts. No leader can also force us to do that unless we are persuaded that it is necessary and I believe it is necessary,” he said.

Fashola said Nigerians must decide what they want and work hard to achieve it, adding that the time has come to replace finger-pointing and blame trading with “individual; family; community; state and national action to change things that are not acceptable.

“Sometimes, I struggle to understand where we want to go. But in spite of those struggles, I am clear in my mind what kind of society I want to live, grow old and die in. That is clear to me. In my lifetime, I want to see a reliable electricity power supply in Nigeria. It is not just praying about it. It is about talking about it and doing something about it”, he said.

He said his administration did not only produce transformers and downstream electrical equipment to take advantage of the distribution aspect of the Federal Government’s Power Reform when it comes on stream, but built an Independent Power Project to supply constant electricity to some health and Judiciary institutions on Lagos Island.

The governor highlighted other steps taken to better the lives of Lagosians as elevating Gbagada General Hospital to an annex of the State’s University Teaching Hospital to serve as Cardiac and Renal Centre, Kidney Centre and Burns Unit; the construction of light rail to improve transportation and improvement in security through the establishment of Security Trust Fund, among others.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by IYANGBALI: 3:38pm On Dec 30, 2012
Shanshani: Oh my God i hear say the man na drunkard i no belief, but this time ebi like say he dey smoke join.
abeg no kill me with laff
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by Nobody: 3:38pm On Dec 30, 2012
Demdem: Another extremely daft statement from our world renowned retardeen. No point deceiving ourselves, Ebele has no corruption to fight.
The dumb is simply out of touch.

It's attitude that made him and his aso gluttons to consume approx 1billion worth of food this year.
...so na my(our )attitude make 13 armed robbers with guns storm a serving colnel's house on christmas day at the back of my house and shoot him for neck..as we speak, dont know if he is dead or alive...let him be sitting there in aso rock believing he is untouchable,Mubarak did too,and he was ill in jail on christmas day

1 Like

Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by mosunade(f): 3:40pm On Dec 30, 2012
If Fashola is or was right, why is GEJ being castigated?

1 Like

Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by Raxz(m): 3:40pm On Dec 30, 2012
I wonder while ppl seem nt to accept anything this man said. Yes Mr president is right. attitude is our biggest problem. Negative Attitude give birth to corruption if our attitude is right we will do things right and we dnt hv to talk about corruption any more bt if u doubt wht Mr president said then ask any American citizens why is the system in America working fin and the level of corruption in they country is nt as high as our, they will tell u, positive attitude towards the country and almost every things they do. If we are to fight corruption in this country we hv to fight our attitude first. Mr u are 100% right!
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by Nobody: 3:43pm On Dec 30, 2012
mosun_ade: If Fashola is or was right, why is GEJ being castigated?

Because fashola has credibilty as a doer, gej is just an excuse man.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by lacicrips(m): 3:46pm On Dec 30, 2012
Let's analyse GEJ's comment properly:

Accidents happen on good roads, which according to GEJ means Nigerian drivers are either reckless on the road or are not qualified/trained/licensed to drive.

Now tell me why the above happens. Simple, CORRUPTION.

I would have insulted this man, but it's simply wrong to insult one's president. Like I said earlier, I voted him in in 2009, and now I can't wait to vote him out in 2015.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by Nobody: 3:47pm On Dec 30, 2012
all what he is saying is story,if he hasnt got the memo,the poor are growing everyday and outnumber the rich,and the injustice(soft jusice for big thieves,hard justice for small thieves)coupled with hunger, desensitization and gradual dehumanization of the common Nigerian,the country will become unrulable,very soon people will lose fear of guns and death and then what is left,mass lynchings of the rich...we are a ticking timebomb

1 Like

Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by OsunOriginal: 3:47pm On Dec 30, 2012
kwajahafiz: Well u heard it here folks. There's no corruption
In Nigeria , there's attitude problem.
The attitude adjustment needed is to vehemently
Deny the existence of corruption. If you don't believe in it , it will not exist . When you walk past the two billion naira house or estate being put up by a government official in the middle of your city, just close ur eyes and affirm " it's not due to corruption, it's simply my attitude regarding it that has to change".

Nigeria. What a country.

Exactly what GEJ is preaching to Nigerians - he wants us to deny corruption in Nigeria so PDP can continue to loot and no reason to vote them out.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by abrat: 3:48pm On Dec 30, 2012
mosun_ade: What has coruption got to do with people dieng in accidents because they do not obey traffic/driving rules.

Is over speeding an issue of corruption.

Is overloading an issue of corruption.

Is poor vehicle maintenance an issue of corruption?

Is drunk driving an issue of corruption?

The man made a statement on the cause of accidents and your blood pressure rose up causing you to start a thread on it.

You still have over two years of hot temper posting to do on NairaLand.

I love your submission.

Good pple do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly while bad pple will find a way around the laws.

I think it has a lot to do with attitudinal changes & that why we have to work more on our behaviours.

However, In any society there are bad pple and that is why we have law enforcement agencies, that are, to some extent, corrupt.

On a final note, i would say we as a society should tackle our behaviours first before tackling corruption.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by mosunade(f): 3:48pm On Dec 30, 2012
oyb:

Because fashola has credibilty as a doer, gej is just an excuse man.

So if Fashola says white is white, and GEJ says the same thing, then GEJ is not saying the right thing? Haba.

Try to reason objectively, it doesnt reduce your worth.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by Nobody: 3:52pm On Dec 30, 2012
I don't blame him!

To be fair to him, he met corruption when he took office. Obasanjo had already instituted corruption through out the entire system, and I truely do not believe he is his own man and that he is not secretly taking orders from either Obasanjo or Babangida (a.k.a. IBB).

In the final analysis who have we got to blame for the fact that our leaders continue to deceive us 14 years after return to so-called democracy?

Who do we have to blame but ourselves?

Daily we read about corruption, looting, squander and mortgaging of our children's heritage and future, but what have we done about?

Why blame GEJ? Blame ourselves.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by Raxz(m): 3:52pm On Dec 30, 2012
OsunOriginal:

GEJ is saying bad road is not responsible for most of the accidents on our road but rather driving attitude of Nigerians - and justified this by the number of accidents on his "good" roads and the bad one. You know most Nigerians are reckless drivers and drunkards.

GJE needs help.
Mr president is nt the one who say this bt FRSC cor marshal ( Mr osita) said so, I personal watch the live broadcast on the AIT cable netwrk during NAS public hearing on the topic title. the near total collaps of our roads. early this month or late November i think. So if u are nt current dnt say things u knw nothing about.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by saintohia: 3:53pm On Dec 30, 2012
Ikengawo: He's 100% right. People use corruption as a scapegoat because they're too lazy to think when in reality it's the mentality of the people and attitude that's holding the country back. America is very corrupt. What we call bribes here as called Lobby's in the US and Lobbyists (Bribers) get offices in Washington DC and websites. They pay politicians to do what they want the politicians to do and pay the media to do their own bidding, but the country functions. Everything from inflated contracts to cronyism and ballot manipulation, is in the US openly

the difference is if you pass a law in the US people follow it and whom ever's duty it is to enforce it will enforce it.
If you build a good road in Nigeria people use it to speed. The police hired to enforce it will sleep on he job, and if someone gets in trouble for breaking a law they act like the government is oppressing them.

Most accidents in Nigeria happen on good roads. The only thing stopping Nigerians from going top speed in their cars at all times are potholes.
Nigerians need a new civic culture.

^^^^^

You mixed it up .

A standard road should have a speed limit, hence it's also the responsibility of the govt. to regulate and prosecute those speeding above a particular road limit. Are you saying that the president has convinced and proved to Nigerians on why federal roads should not be maintained and dualized?

Bribe and Lobby are entirely two different things,

You bribe to influence right judgement or change the truth from being told, while you lobby to quicken a process ( not having the intention to influence or change what is generally known to be wrong).

You can lobby or give what is termed tip in U.S.A., those are completely different from bribe.

Btw, do you know about U.S. "FCPA" and it's implication?
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by babapupa: 3:54pm On Dec 30, 2012
mosun_ade: If Fashola is or was right, why is GEJ being castigated?

Because fashola did not say attitude is our main problem and not corruption and on top of that, he enforces the law to make people change their attitude. Ask okada, ask the busineses LASEPA locked up for violating environmental laws and noise pollution, ask oil tankers, ask tax evaders.n.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by Raxz(m): 3:56pm On Dec 30, 2012
OsunOriginal:

GJE needs help.
Mr president is nt the one who say this bt FRSC cor marshal ( Mr osita) said so, I personal watch the live broadcast on the AIT cable netwrk during NAS public hearing on the topic title. the near total collaps of our roads. early this month or late November i think. So if u are nt current dnt say things u knw nothing about.
OsunOriginal:

GJE needs help.
OsunOriginal:

GJE needs help.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by tpapi: 3:56pm On Dec 30, 2012
lacicrips: Let's analyse GEJ's comment properly:

Accidents happen on good roads, which according to GEJ means Nigerian drivers are either reckless on the road or are not qualified/trained/licensed to drive.

Now tell me why the above happens. Simple, CORRUPTION.

I would have insulted this man, but it's simply wrong to insult one's president. Like I said earlier, I voted him in in 2009, and now I can't wait to vote him out in 2015.
too much hatred n criticising no allow u remember d year wey u really vote in gej
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by OsunOriginal: 3:58pm On Dec 30, 2012
Alex J:
First of all, you didn't need to curse. Not all Nigerian drivers are sane drivers. That suggests that there are reckless ones. Just before 15th of this month when students in my school were preparing to vacate, a student was killed by a reckless driver who was on his way TO a drinking joint in my campus. The driver was driving at speed fit for the highway on a good domestic road. He just made sure someone didn't go home to his parents and loved ones, ever. If such a person could be found on a small campus community, how about in a bigger picture of over 40 million car owners.
GEJ merely suggested that corruption is a subset of attitude; a content of attitude!

You have made no point with this your post. It is the responsibility of a responsible government to instil orderliness in the system. It is the responsibility of government to ensure some attitudes are not allowed in the system - have you ever travelled out of this country to places like USA? On every road you have speed limit and whoever goes beyond the limit will be fined the first time and if it becomes an attitude, you risk being banned from driving or your car impounded for a period.

That we have a lazy corrupt government, spending 1Billion naira annually on feeding, is not enough to put attitude blame on Nigerians even if all the roads are in good condition. I can name notable Nigerians who have died on lagos-Ibadan express road as a result of potholes and gullies on that terribly bad road that this hopelessly corrupt government of PDP has refused to fix.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by tpapi: 4:05pm On Dec 30, 2012
Gej u r on point, don't mind dos deluded pessimist n sadist
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by mosunade(f): 4:07pm On Dec 30, 2012
babapupa:

Because fashola did not say attitude is our main problem and not corruption and on top of that, he enforces the law to make people change their attitude. Ask okada, ask the busineses LASEPA locked up for violating environmental laws and noise pollution, ask oil tankers, ask tax evaders.n.

Begin to interpret what was said na, so it can suit your argument. Where did GEJ say attitude is the main problem?

"The president rejected the submission and instead retorted, “If Nigerians would change their attitude, you will realise that most of these issues being attributed to corruption are not caused by corruption."

Only crude people wait for them to be beaten black and blue before doing the right thing. Must you be told not to drive on the opposite side of traffic? I bet you will say thats also because of corruption not because of people's bad attitude to legal driving.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by babapupa: 4:09pm On Dec 30, 2012
mosun_ade:

So if Fashola says white is white, and GEJ says the same thing, then GEJ is not saying the right thing? Haba.

Try to reason objectively, it doesnt reduce your worth.

But they did not say the same thing...
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by OsunOriginal: 4:09pm On Dec 30, 2012
Raxz: Mr president is nt the one who say this bt FRSC cor marshal ( Mr osita) said so, I personal watch the live broadcast on the AIT cable netwrk during NAS public hearing on the topic title. the near total collaps of our roads. early this month or late November i think. So if u are nt current dnt say things u knw nothing about.

Shut up man if you dont have anything reasonable to say. He wasnt the one that said it but he was using what the FRSC man said to dismiss the sermon from a pastor. What is the difference? FRSC man said it and he accepted it.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by mosunade(f): 4:10pm On Dec 30, 2012
babapupa:

But they did not say the same thing...

Please excuse us here. Let people who think objectively make their points.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by vanstanzy(m): 4:10pm On Dec 30, 2012
Poor attitude begets corruption. GEJ is right on this one!
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by AjanleKoko: 4:10pm On Dec 30, 2012
OsunOriginal:

GJE needs help.

I'm not defending GEJ's statements. Just saying, in a twisted sort of way, he has a point. And corruption is a 2-way thing really. GEJ is no different from the vast majority of Nigerians.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Celebrities And Policemen Protest Against Gender Based Violence / How INEC Disenfranchised Me / APC Ward Chairman Confirms Emefiele’s Membership, Says He Registered February 21

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.