Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,654 members, 7,809,477 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:14 AM

Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. (12373 Views)

What Do You Think Will Be My Greatest Challenge when i become the president? / GEJ'S Greatest Challenge. / Ojukwu's Burial: Crowd Control As The Greatest Challenge During Burial (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by dabossman(m): 2:03pm On Dec 30, 2012
No society can be free of corruption where there is no law and proper law enforcement. No man is born with a good attitude. It is learnt, most times unconsciously, through ones environment, be it the family or the society at large. Now, how easy is it to have a good attitude in the midst of social decay? How can you tell good from bad when there is no defining line?

Our attitude will only change when those who do wrong are punished appropriately and others learn fron that. Its how we learnt as kids.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by Nobody: 2:05pm On Dec 30, 2012
If the attitude of nigerians is the problem and not corruption,why do we have EFCC, ICPC and other anti-corruption agencies? GEJ is indeed daft!! grin

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by OsunOriginal: 2:06pm On Dec 30, 2012
Ikengawo: He's 100% right. People use corruption as a scapegoat because they're too lazy to think when in reality it's the mentality of the people and attitude that's holding the country back. America is very corrupt. What we call bribes here as called Lobby's in the US and Lobbyists (Bribers) get offices in Washington DC and websites. They pay politicians to do what they want the politicians to do and pay the media to do their own bidding, but the country functions. Everything from inflated contracts to cronyism and ballot manipulation, is in the US openly

the difference is if you pass a law in the US people follow it and whom ever's duty it is to enforce it will enforce it.
If you build a good road in Nigeria people use it to speed. The police hired to enforce it will sleep on he job, and if someone gets in trouble for breaking a law they act like the government is oppressing them.

Most accidents in Nigeria happen on good roads. The only thing stopping Nigerians from going top speed in their cars at all times are potholes.
Nigerians need a new civic culture.

Shut up your evil mouth... Are you telling me the terrible state of our roads is not caused by corruption? Are Nigerians reckless drivers or drunkards?

GEJ should stop ambarrassing us. Government should fix all roads first and you can then begin to blame subsequent accidents on reckless driving or attitude.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by Nobody: 2:07pm On Dec 30, 2012
Eko Ile: Now we know the reason why this useless man is not fighting corruption. You can not fight what you believe is not any kind of problem...
agreed your president you are abusing, indeed can be sometimes very analytical with issues and not audacious like president Obama of America .anyway but on a more serious note can you tell us the correlation between attitude and corruption? is there really any connection
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by Nobody: 2:07pm On Dec 30, 2012
Attitude is everything to an individual as honesty is to an institution. Relatively, he is right.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by kwajahafiz(m): 2:09pm On Dec 30, 2012
Ikengawo: He's 100% right. People use corruption as a scapegoat because they're too lazy to think when in reality it's the mentality of the people and attitude that's holding the country back. America is very corrupt. What we call bribes here as called Lobby's in the US and Lobbyists (Bribers) get offices in Washington DC and websites. They pay politicians to do what they want the politicians to do and pay the media to do their own bidding, but the country functions. Everything from inflated contracts to cronyism and ballot manipulation, is in the US openly

Sir , there's a good chance ur education terminated at a Nigerian high school level. Please stop pouting off regarding what you could never understand.

the difference is if you pass a law in the US people follow it and whom ever's duty it is to enforce it will enforce it.
If you build a good road in Nigeria people use it to speed. The police hired to enforce it will sleep on he job, and if someone gets in trouble for breaking a law they act like the government is oppressing them.

Most accidents in Nigeria happen on good roads. The only thing stopping Nigerians from going top speed in their cars at all times are potholes.

Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by AlexJ1(m): 2:09pm On Dec 30, 2012
BetaThings:

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/news/attitude-not-corruption-is-nigerias-problem-jonathan/

So why did we sack someone with the right attitude?
We are fighting corruption - no black eye? no blood. So why are we cutting budget of EFCC?
So why do we have more institution fighting corruption if it is not the problem
Should we not be putting more money into attitudinal change programmes like NOA (and what some people are doing on NL? - selling snake oil)

Attitude answers those. Mr President didn't say or suggest that he is free from that problem. He just stated a general truth.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by babapupa: 2:12pm On Dec 30, 2012
OsunOriginal:

Shut up your evil mouth... Are you telling me the terrible state of our roads is not caused by corruption? Are Nigerians reckless drivers or drunkards?

GEJ should stop ambarrasing us. Government should fix all roads first and you can then begin to blame subsequent accidents on reckless driving or attitude.

Well said. Dumb and daft people are always looking re excuses to justify their laziness. This goofball and useless man took incompetency to a new level.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by ijebabe: 2:17pm On Dec 30, 2012
What impeccable analysis!
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by Nobody: 2:18pm On Dec 30, 2012
berem: If the attitude of nigerians is the problem and not corruption,why do we have EFCC, ICPC and other anti-corruption agencies? GEJ is indeed daft!! grin
how is he daft, people like you dont appreciate noble things,do you think you will be able to run your mouth like this if General Buhari or some other politicians were in power? it obvious i think you deserve to be led by a brute
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by ALMUSTAQIM(m): 2:20pm On Dec 30, 2012
CAN SOMEONE HELP WITH THE DEFINITION OF CORRUPTION? . . . IS BAD ATTITUDE NOT PART & PARCEL OF CORRUPTION?
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by AjanleKoko: 2:23pm On Dec 30, 2012
In a weird way, the guy is right.
It's our attitude that has led to corruption, among other things.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by playahP(m): 2:24pm On Dec 30, 2012

What of power supply?
Health care?
Education?
Employment?
Welfare?

Are these things non-functional because of our attitudes

Please shut da Bleep up!!

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by awodman: 2:25pm On Dec 30, 2012
Eko Ile:

Please don't destroy topic with this illiterate talk, bribe is not lobby. In bribery, money change hands for personal gains while same is not the case on the other hand. Also according to the dictionary, they have different meanings.

In America, they know the difference. Lobbying is not against the law in America and bribery is, this is why they put their officials in jail for bribery and corruption offense unlike in Nigeria. You remember Halliburton. Yes, that Halliburton where Americans prosecuted and locked up the folks involved on their side while Nigeria refused to do the same which is another form of corruption.

Is the common man's attitude that took the bribe money? Is the common man's attitude to blame for not prosecuting the folks involved in the Halliburton bribery scandal in Nigeria or this worthless and useless man himself aka MANY EXCUSE GIVING GEJ?

Must you people defend the indefensible?
Must U̶̲̥̅̊ insult and abuse GEJ before making ur point?
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by nduchucks: 2:26pm On Dec 30, 2012
I have not read every post on this thread but I have to say that many of GEJ's critics here are being unfair, dishonest, and in some cases exhibiting gross bigotry.

We all know that the average Nigerian is lawless when it comes to abiding by existing traffic laws and this lawlessness, has caused untold number of accidents and deaths. Many of you drive on the wrong side of the road in Lagos or through unauthorized areas of the roadways, simply because there is a traffic jam ahead. If you people change your attitude, as GEJ is apparently suggesting, lives could be saved. Your lawlessness is just as responsible for deaths on our roads as the bad roads themselves.

Some of you bigots were hailing Fashola to high heavens when he said that we do not need constitutional amendments but a change in attitude. How is GEJ's statement worse than Fashola's.

You Nigerians are your own worst enemies and are enablers of the leaders who keep screwing you daily. abeg make I hear word. embarassed

1 Like

Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by kwajahafiz(m): 2:29pm On Dec 30, 2012
Well u heard it here folks. There's no corruption
In Nigeria , there's attitude problem.
The attitude adjustment needed is to vehemently
Deny the existence of corruption. If you don't believe in it , it will not exist . When you walk past the two billion naira house or estate being put up by a government official in the middle of your city, just close ur eyes and affirm " it's not due to corruption, it's simply my attitude regarding it that has to change".

Nigeria. What a country.

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by ALMUSTAQIM(m): 2:30pm On Dec 30, 2012
CHECKING MY SIMPLE LOCAL DICTIONARY, . . CORRUPTION HAS TWO PARTS : BAD ATTITUDE & OTHERS.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by aribisala0(m): 2:31pm On Dec 30, 2012
I would like to believe that on some level corruption is an attitude.
Let us leave that to one side.

On his road accident postulation.
How do you get a driving licence in Nigeria= corruption = unqualified,drunk or insane drivers on the road.
Most motorists are unqualified and the system for policing this is CORRUPT

What happens when drivers flout regulations and are caught??corruption.

What kind of attitude declares " i don't give a damn" when called upon to declare his assets? A corrupt one

What kind of attitude tells the whole world that criminals like IBB,OBJ and Alams are my "FATHERS AND BENEFACTORS"
A corrupt one

Corruption is NOT just taking or giving bribes,stealing only.

When there is impunity at the top,when one person gets away with a crime EVERYTHING collapses
Failure to prosecute Ibori
Failure to ask who signed the 2010 budget
Failure to ask where Governor Chime is
Policemen taking bribes even fighting on the streets
Soldiers raiding police stations the list goes on eventually people are so inured that nothing surprises or shocks anymore.
Telling Nuhu Ribadu to " GO AND TRAIN"
OGD suspending HALF of the State House of Assemble
Mr Uba kidnapping a serving governor.

The list is endless. Corruption and the top means there is a lack of moral authority to check underlings . To attempt to distinguish pervasive corruption from attitude is like trying to separate water from eba.

Human beings are the same everywhere they respond well to rules and punishment if those are regular and predictable.
GEJ would have us believe;
Cobras are not dangerous they just have an attitude problem
I am beginning to think Patience Jonathan would have been a better President

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by vislabraye(m): 2:31pm On Dec 30, 2012
You can separate attitude from corruption. We need functional laws.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by AlexJ1(m): 2:31pm On Dec 30, 2012
OsunOriginal:

GEJ should stop ambarrassing us. Government should fix all roads first and you can then begin to blame subsequent accidents on reckless driving or attitude.
First of all, you didn't need to curse. Not all Nigerian drivers are sane drivers. That suggests that there are reckless ones. Just before 15th of this month when students in my school were preparing to vacate, a student was killed by a reckless driver who was on his way TO a drinking joint in my campus. The driver was driving at speed fit for the highway on a good domestic road. He just made sure someone didn't go home to his parents and loved ones, ever. If such a person could be found on a small campus community, how about in a bigger picture of over 40 million car owners.
GEJ merely suggested that corruption is a subset of attitude; a content of attitude!
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by YoshiMaster: 2:34pm On Dec 30, 2012
ndu_chucks: I have not read every post on this thread but I have to say that many of GEJ's critics here are being unfair, dishonest, and in some cases exhibiting gross bigotry.

We all know that the average Nigerian is lawless when it comes to abiding by existing traffic laws and this lawlessness, has caused untold number of accidents and deaths. Many of you drive on the wrong side of the road in Lagos or through unauthorized areas of the roadways, simply because there is a traffic jam ahead. If you people change your attitude, as GEJ is apparently suggesting, lives could be saved. Your lawlessness is just as responsible for deaths on our roads as the bad roads themselves.

Some of you bigots were hailing Fashola to high heavens when he said that we do not need constitutional amendments but a change in attitude. How is GEJ's statement worse than Fashola's.

You Nigerians are your own worst enemies and are enablers of the leaders who keep screwing you daily. abeg make I hear word. embarassed

Take away law enforcement on U.S roads, and you will have Nigerian style roads. Trust me I know, I was drivng along the bush in Houston, following others to beat traffic. Difference is the police stopped as many of us as he could, while in Nigeria, the police will tag along.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by striker07(m): 2:35pm On Dec 30, 2012
Despite the fact that I don't fully agree with the president,I don't think you have to attack the president like that,can't you disagree on issues without being disrespectful?.
Demdem: Another extremely daft statement from our world renowned retardeen. No point deceiving ourselves, Ebele has no corruption to fight.
The dumb is simply out of touch.

It's attitude that made him and his aso gluttons to consume approx 1billion worth of food this year.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by AlexJ1(m): 2:37pm On Dec 30, 2012
playah P:

What of power supply?
Health care?
Education?
Employment?
Welfare?

Are these things non-functional because of our attitudes

Please shut da Bleep up!!
No, they are non-functional because of the attitudes of those responsible for their availability.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by kodkovski: 2:48pm On Dec 30, 2012
See who is talking about attitude.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by nagoma(m): 2:50pm On Dec 30, 2012
@ Ikengawo

The Reterdeen and his team of degenerates are at it again . This time in defense of corruption, they will soon be telling us that corruption is good for us as implied by the monkey ikengawo. Jonathan is preventing accidents by refusing to fix roads - since good roads cause accidents . A zero capacity president destroying our country and you guys are looking the other way. I curse them in the name of God. cry

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by ugotim: 2:51pm On Dec 30, 2012
The culture(attitude)of any organisation/nation is shaped by its leadership.the attitude of nigerians is a direct product of its failed successive leaderships(period).our attitude is poor,yes,but it was created and maintained by our successive poor leadership,including d present.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by Nobody: 2:57pm On Dec 30, 2012
In my opinion, corruption has fostered bad attitudes in Nigeria. Bad Attitudes have also fostered corruption....

Okay, someone in previous post questioned Jonathan's reasoning, calling him daft because the President said most accidents happen on good roads.

Yes, accidents do occur on good roads, but the President should also know that turning bad roads to good roads also reduces accidents by a better percentage.

Constructing good roads comes first before we can embark on changing attitudes... How people behave, and whether they behave in a civilized way depend much on options available. If these options are unavailable because of corruption, then society behaves in a reckless manner.

Firstly, Jonathan has to know that for him to change that attitude, he has to set examples. He sets examples by simply reducing corruption in his administration.

Secondly, if options are available, you technically change the way your populace behaves. Imagine a good rail network, where Nigerians and bulk product could travel on. This will ensure roads are less used, and there are fewer accidents.

Thirdly, Jonathan is worried about Nigerians' attitudes, and he is investing less in education? How about him investing more in education and changing the syllabuses to challenge century old ideologies that is putting us down?

If I were the President, I would design a primary and secondary school syllabus that encourages patriotism, selflessness, and working in groups. Classes will be smaller, and pupils will be assigned to always take group challenges. TEAM exercises will be key in our primary and secondary school curricula. I want to ensure that it is enshrined in our young ones that when their society progresses, they also progress

I would also make our mathematics and science involve more creative and logical thinking. The more our schools provide logical students, the less our society do away with retrogressive ideologies.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by Ilekokonit: 3:00pm On Dec 30, 2012
geeez:
GEJ has lost it whichever way you look at it

Did he ever have it in the first place ?

"Nemo dat quod non habet" (You cannot give what you don't have).

1 Like

Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by fxskye: 3:09pm On Dec 30, 2012
Eko Ile:

Is this the reason why he's ignoring Benin Ore road and many federal roads in Nigeria?

BTW, you illiterate.

Lobby: a group of persons engaged in lobbying especially as representatives of a particular interest group

Bribe: money or favor given or promised in order to influence the judgment or conduct of a person in a position of trust.

Thanks Eko Ile. Ikengo thought we are daft like his brother GEJ.
Two different words can never mean d same.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by mu2sa2: 3:16pm On Dec 30, 2012
Dede1: Nigeria’s main problem is rooted in tribalism and religion. The only remedy to Nigeria’s misery is disintegration. It is a perceived fact that the Republic of Igbo-land will try to avoid the instances of being shamed for lacking behind Republic of Odua in terms of socio-politico-economic development, vis-à-vis. There shall be a healthy competition as well as cooperation among the nation states. In addition, there shall be a genuine fight against corruption among the nation states.
Why are Igbo-dominated states (SE) not doing better than other states even now. From the look of things, if u had republic of igboland today armed robbers, kidnappers and ritualists will render the place ungovernable. Talking security, there is not a single town in SE today that one can feel safe in from kidnappers and robbers- and the perpectrators are not spirits but igbos (with all the violence by security forces and their boko haram partners in d mayhem,maiduguri is safer than anywhere in SE today). Disintegration will not solve anything, it is the same people who are ruining nigeria that will still be in charge. By the way, how many countries do we disintegrate into - 36, 776(lgas), 250(tribes)?
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by udemzyudex(m): 3:16pm On Dec 30, 2012
Ikengawo: Something as simple as forming a line in Nigeria will turn into a fight and people will push themselves and fight to get on a bus that everyone is boarding anyways and is going to leave at the same time and go to the same place whether they're first or not.

People, instead of hiring labor and helping unemployment, will find a 7 year old in their village and make them work for free

People, instead of hiring a graduated professional will hire their incompetent brother or nephew who doesn't take his job seriously
You will give people a good road and they'll drive the opposite of traffic

You will give a community an oil pipeline and they'll drill holes in it, blowing themselves up and polluting their community for the next 100 years.

People worship the rich and treat the poor as less than human even when they themselves are poor.

If you ask a nigerian about nigeria they will go on and on about everything bad in their life and wonder why the nation has a bad image, completely unable to count 1 of God's daily blessings

People harbor criminals if the criminal is from their local government area.

Corruption isn't the issue, it's the people and their attitude towards society.
You are right bro...i use to tell people that bad leaders is not the only problem of Nigeria but bad followers
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by babapupa: 3:19pm On Dec 30, 2012
Alex J:
Attitude answers those. Mr President didn't say or suggest that he is free from that problem. He just stated a general truth.

Actually he did. His statement was absolute because he did not say attitude is one of our many problems, he took corruption and fighting corruption off the table completely and stated categorically that attitude is the problem and he even injected the shameful and insulting rubbish about the word of mouth without study or official data nonsense about road accident from who he should have fired for suggesting such rubbish especially when the number 1 reason for deaths on our roads is bad roads.

Peoples attitude all over the world is the same good or bad. People will kidnap, rob, rape and steal money, but it is still the governments responsibility to put a stop to it with deterrents like laws, enforcements and putting people in jail to prevent others from doing wrong.

So, GEJ is woefully wrong as usual. The problem is the government not doing its job by prosecuting offenders. I guess its GEJs attitude that prevented from prosecuting the people responsible for the halliburton bribe scandal or is it other peoples attitude.?

Is it other peoples attitude that made him appoint crooks and people under investigation for corruption? Is it my attitude that's responsible for him not fixing bad roads or firing and prosecuting the people he put in charge or paid to fix the roads?

This useless man just said to us that our government is just there for nothing, collecting our money for nothing and they don't have to do anything, they don't have to fright corruption because its not the problem.

At least we now know why treasury looters are getting away unprocecuted, we now know. Why crooks and shady people are running the government, we now know why why this clueless man associate with and call ex convicts his benefactor.

The man is nothing but a disgrace.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Olusegun Odebunmi, Sponsor Of Press Gagging Bill, Suspends It For Consultation / Court To Rule On Suit Seeking Soludo’s Disqualification On November 30 / Anglican Bishop, Rev Nneoyi Egbe Rejects APC's Muslim-Muslim Ticket

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.