Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,034 members, 7,818,055 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:10 AM

Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. (12381 Views)

What Do You Think Will Be My Greatest Challenge when i become the president? / GEJ'S Greatest Challenge. / Ojukwu's Burial: Crowd Control As The Greatest Challenge During Burial (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by mosunade(f): 6:38pm On Dec 30, 2012
ballabriggs:

Yes corruption is one of the cause given the frequency. There are institutions that should monitor and take actions accordingly. But how will these organisations function when they have been bastardised by corrupt practices? How do they regulate people when they cannot regulate themselves internally? These are the issues. Corruption distorts public policy in its entirety.

LOL. So, you slam your foot on the gas pedal in an intersection with the red lights on and you jam another car head on, and you blame it on one corrupt person somewhere and not on yourself cos you acted foolishly? LOL. SMH. You overrun your speedometer and you have a blow out and die in the process and blame it on the corrupt tendencies of some faceless people? Haba.

You drive with a bottle of Henessey in your glove compartment, sipping it at intervals and you sleep off and ran into the bush and die in the process and then blame it on some politicians somewhere or on some law enforcement? Chuo.

Now, take GEJ out of the picture and think hard to see if you are making sense.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by babapupa: 6:43pm On Dec 30, 2012
chess guru:
Nigerians and fear of responsibility. Okay sir, if I may asked what is YOUR responsibility to the country.
When last did you do an ounce of community service 2 correct something in your locality.
To people like you, JF kennedy must have been high on some strong weed whn he said we shld not ask what our govt can do for us, but what we can do for our govt.
U still leave in an utopian world where an all powerful leader like moses will come with a magic wand nd fix the over 40 year infestation and propagation of corruption. Ur job is J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ 2 seat behind the sweet confines of ur room and point fingers at ur scapegoat jonathan, forgetting that the rest of ur fingers are pointing back at you.
Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt that GEJ has not lived up 2 expectation (even though some peoples expectation were J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ to utopian to begin with), it is my strong belief that the difference btw so many people accusing govt officials of corruption and them, is J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ OPPORTUNITY.
The average nigerian (by virtue of society) is selfish, self centered, and has no patriotic zeal or no interest.
This is the ATTITUDE that we must collectively change.
Even if all d govt officials were rounded up 2day for corruption, who are the people going in 2 replace them?
In other to enter the university, u bribed ur way in (while still pointing @ corruption in high places)
In other 2 pass ur exams u 'sorted'(while still pointing @ corruption in high places)
Whn u where departmental president u stole the little that came ur way(while still pointing @ corruption in high places)
Whn u where in SUG u stole again, the increased sum that came ur way(while still pointing @ corruption in high places).
The same thing whn u started working in a bank, or whn u had to get that contract.
Whn u became local govt charman nko?
So what can we expect of the new public officials even if all the present ones are arested for corruption?
At best they will devise more prudent ways of stealing, that's why the only 2 change is not J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ by arresting a few, but by changing the attitude and mentality of the majority.

What's all this rubbish got to do with me and corruption? I'm I an office holder? Are you paying me tax payers money to fight corruption? Are you paying me to hire worthless and incompetent ministers and other public officials.? I'm I the person you voted into office to take care of you and your problem?

That's the problem with you people, it doesn't matter how much you and GEJ try to shift blame, it is still gejs responsibility to fight corruption, its his resoibsibility to seek accountability from the people he hire.

We give these clowns from efcc to ccb and sss billions of naira every year to fight corruption and criminality and they are turning around and telling the me that it is my job to to do their job for them, its my job to do what I'm paying then billions in budgetary allocations for.

This is mind blowing. Only in Nigeria. It is even sad that we have some misguided so called leaders of tomorrow supporting this madness.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by ballabriggs: 6:43pm On Dec 30, 2012
mosun_ade:

OK. People are not killing themselves because CCTV will catch them, if there are no CCTVs, naturally, they will begin to kill themselves because they dont want to obey the law and because there is no law enforcement. I get u. classic.

Na wa o. So, people dont know to do what is good unless they are coherced.

Do you know how many conflicts man experienced in the past. From the dark ages, to the medieval era, man had a lot of conflicts resulting in murdering the next man to settle scores. But the evolution of man to the present day can be traced to laws put in place in the society. These laws are controls just like the CCTV you have. Man knows today that there are more and more consequences for his actions and he does everything not to be caught on the wrong side. In Nigeria the culture is one where an Ibori will be given a national honour. By who? By the President who should set a right tone at the top. They cannot even implement their laws and they want attitudinal change.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by chessguru1(m): 6:45pm On Dec 30, 2012
babapupa:

Ode, you are basically saying GEJ and the ones before him are all useless and incompetent for allowing things to degenerate to this level so keep quiet.
No need 4 d 'ode' name calling. The truth is that america is what it is today not becos of Obama, but becos it was founded on sound principles and ideals of equity nd justice by men of integrity and honor. We are talking abt the likes of washington, jefferson, Lincoln and rest.
Obama did not develop this american system, but was born into.
The reverse is the case in nigeria, can you describe the foundation of ur country (u will be suprised ow many people even know jack about nigerian history) as we cannot point 2 any NATIONAL (not regional now) leader that has done anything noteworthy in over 40 yrs of existence.
Instead, what we have is the same set of criminals hustling for another crack at d pie.
Yes all leaders, past and present (including jona) are 2 blame for nigerian's plight.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by chreldb(m): 6:45pm On Dec 30, 2012
koruji: Keep comparing sleep and death - you should be embarrassed.

Beautiful response!!!
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by Nobody: 6:51pm On Dec 30, 2012
chess guru:
No need 4 d 'ode' name calling. The truth is that america is what it is today not becos of Obama, but becos it was founded on sound principles and ideals of equity nd justice by men of integrity and honor. We are talking abt the likes of washington, jefferson, Lincoln and rest.
Obama did not develop this american system, but was born into.
The reverse is the case in nigeria, can you describe the foundation of ur country (u will be suprised ow many people even know jack about nigerian history) as we cannot point 2 any NATIONAL (not regional now) leader that has done anything noteworthy in over 40 yrs of existence.
Instead, what we have is the same set of criminals hustling for another crack at d pie.
Yes all leaders, past and present (including jona) are 2 blame for nigerian's plight.

America is what it is because of the forced labor of slavery, the emancipation of slaves, and the fight for civil rights.

Without hat, America would be another fallen Rome.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by babapupa: 6:54pm On Dec 30, 2012
mosun_ade:

LOL. So, you slam your foot on the gas pedal in an intersection with the red lights on and you jam another car head on, and you blame it on one corrupt person somewhere and not on yourself cos you acted foolishly? LOL. SMH. You overrun your speedometer and you have a blow out and die in the process and blame it on the corrupt tendencies of some faceless people? Haba.

You drive with a bottle of Henessey in your glove compartment, sipping it at intervals and you sleep off and ran into the bush and die in the process and then blame it on some politicians somewhere or on some law enforcement? Chuo.

Still doesn't mean what people do or don't do means you should not inject deterrent in form fines and punishment. It doesn't mean government should not enforce laws, it doesn't mean government should make ret.arded statements like somebody told me that more people die on good roads than bad roads, it doesn't mean law enforcement and crime prevention is the responsibility of the common man in the,street.

You are not making any sense.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by ballabriggs: 6:54pm On Dec 30, 2012
mosun_ade:

I can take one case, I can take two cases, however, when it happens as frequently as we have in our country, there is a problem with leadership.

In corporate governance, they say Directors have the ultimate responsibility for internal controls. Does it mean Directors are everywhere within the organisation where controls are implemented? But they set a tone at the top and cascade it through the organisation. Who are the Directors in this instance, it is Goodluck Jona and the leadership of the nation. They have a responsibility to change. That attitude which Jona deems suitable for the Nigerian people, it is his duty as the leader to embed it on the citizenry by cascading it from the top to the bottom.

But how can he when Jona and Ngozi done carry N5 trillion run?
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by chessguru1(m): 6:58pm On Dec 30, 2012
babapupa:

What's all this rubbish got to do with me and corruption? I'm I an office holder? Are you paying me tax payers money to fight corruption? Are you paying me to hire worthless and incompetent ministers and other public officials.? I'm I the person you voted into office to take care of you and your problem?

That's the problem with you people, it doesn't matter how much you and GEJ try to shift blame, it is still gejs responsibility to fight corruption, its his resoibsibility to seek accountability from the people he hire.

We give these clowns from efcc to ccb and sss billions of naira every year to fight corruption and criminality and they are turning around and telling the me that it is my job to to do their job for them, its my job to do what I'm paying then billions in budgetary allocations for.

This is mind blowing. Only in Nigeria. It is even sad that we have some misguided so called leaders of tomorrow supporting this madness.
Guy pipe down and relax before you blow an artery. Anybody that says GEJ has performed is either blind or sick.
But what I am asking is for you 2 define ur role as a nigerian citizen. So you pay ur taxes, good. What other responsibility do you have?
How many times have u seen illegality in ur vicinity and tried 2 do something about it (no matter how pointless it might appear)
How many times have u seen something wrong, and looked the other way, or corrected that person.
We all know the responsibility of this failing govt, but I ask what is yours?
When you can answer that, then you will know that development i is everybodys business not J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ one mans business.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by chessguru1(m): 7:05pm On Dec 30, 2012
ballabriggs:

I can take one case, I can take two cases, however, when it happens as frequently as we have in our country, there is a problem with leadership.

In corporate governance, they say Directors have the ultimate responsibility for internal controls. Does it mean Directors are everywhere within the organisation where controls are implemented? But they set a tone at the top and cascade it through the organisation. Who are the Directors in this instance, it is Goodluck Jona and the leadership of the nation. They have a responsibility to change. That attitude which Jona deems suitable for the Nigerian people, it is his duty as the leader to embed it on the citizenry by cascading it from the top to the bottom.

But how can he when Jona and Ngozi done carry N5 trillion run?
I will ave to agree with you here. And this is where his real failure resides.
If there is one thing fashola succeed in doing is changing d attitude of lagosians.
in other for there to be lasting decline in corruption, the attitude of d populace must be changed, and this change must be initiated by mr president. Sadly, it appears he really lacks that charisma, persona, and conviction 2 effect this change

1 Like

Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by chessguru1(m): 7:09pm On Dec 30, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

America is what it is because of the forced labor of slavery, the emancipation of slaves, and the fight for civil rights.

Without hat, America would be another fallen Rome.
Lolz maybe. But am talking strictly about the american governance/ political system here.
The foundations of american democracy and freedom is still true now, as it was 200 years ago
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by aribisala0(m): 7:13pm On Dec 30, 2012
It was claimed that accidents on bad roads are due to corruption .

The President rejects this stating that most accidents occur on good roads.

Our president seems to have a problem with logic.

If a fisherman tells me that he tends to catch more fish in his boat than when he is in his car do I conclude that this is because his boat makes him a better fisherman??

He did not dispute that their are "BAD ROADS" but has informed Nigerians that there are also some "GOOD ROADS"(This is as Bob Alan would say LEVEL 25 NEWS!) Let us accept this assertion for discussion sake. We would still like to know which roads are the good ones SO WE CAN AVOID THEM and which ones are the BAD so WE CAN USE THEM to save our lives.

I have considered his words for over an hour and still do not get his reasoning. Is he actually admitting that YES THERE ARE BAD ROADS DUE TO corruption but That is what is better for Nigerians because THEY HAVE BAD ATTITUDE to good roads. If you give them good roads they tend to crash MORE OFTEN? Give them bad roads and they have the right attitude

Honestly "I Perplex".
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by sonickay(m): 7:14pm On Dec 30, 2012
although dere is an iota of truth in his theory, I totally disagree wit d President, using road accidents as a yardstick for measurin d problems of d society is not very intellectual of him, is dat why he isnt bothered about corruption or repairing roads on large scale bt just patch up?. Contrast shud b made dat wher d roads are gud n wide enough for 2,3,4 vehicles, accidents wud be less on d roads. Yes, people speed on good roads but its because dey cant wait to get out of d naggin potholes, in d ensuing pothole-gud-road flight, accidents happens, but wher der is no potholes, people wil b careful n accidents wil reduce wit effective traffic control law n enlightenment. Reduce potholes on roads, enlighten people, implement realistic laws and lets see if ur theory will still stand or fall on itselF, dont sit n form theories, presidents dont do, dey act on theories given, without using it to conspire!
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by Gbawe: 7:17pm On Dec 30, 2012
Even indulging GEJ, who does the responsibility of changing the attitude of the masses fall on, by far the most, if not leaders? This is why some of us shake our heads when GEJ speaks. This is a President totally unprepared for Leadership. Till today, this guy cannot appreciate what he is and what he should be doing/saying. When GEJ is busy setting bad precedence for Nigerians to follow, what attitude change is he hoping for and who will set example , to Nigerians, of what good attitude is?

Do you encourage people to sacrifice for their Nation when you , the President at the top who should set examples, cannot scale back a vast budget for food? Sankara got rid of a fleet of cars to drive one vehicle himself. Such a man can demand his people change their attitude and embrace the notion of making sacrifices for the greater good of society - not the president buying Private planes to augment a bloated fleet and still demanding more.

GEJ will never note the patent inanity regarding some of the things he says because he is not a leader. Bottom line is that GEJ displays the attitudes he facetiously condemns such as greed, corruption, cronyism, lack of patriotism, disinterest in the plight of others, lack of sincerity, lack of dedication to duty, indolence etc, etc.

Mr.President is right that the attitude of Nigerians could improve but the message sucks coming from a leader who does not "give a damn" regarding setting examples or indeed even acting as if he understands what leaders must do.

http://www.streetdirectory.com/travel_guide/21386/leadership/leadership___leading_through_example.html

Leadership - Leading through Example

Leaders must lead by their own example. If subordinates see their leader doing one thing and saying another, they may follow the letter of the law and obey what is said without really following the spirit behind what the leader is trying to accomplish. Not following the spirit behind a rule can result in a very large loss in efficiency.

Leading through example is leading through intent not through directives. When people hear you say to do something they may follow what you say, but that is much less efficient than when they follow what you mean. By following your intent, your subordinates will be much more productive and much more aligned with your vision than if they just follow what you say word for word.

There was a CEO of a large company that was having a problem with parking. He told everyone they needed to park in a lower lot to give customers more space to park. By parking in his old spot, employees saw that he was following a different standard. While they followed the letter of the law, they didn't follow the concept behind what the CEO was trying to say about putting the customer first.

In a similar situation the president of a large university had a parking space near the building where she worked. Students had to park at the bottom of the hill and ride a bus to the campus. Several times a week, students found that they were riding on the bus with the college president because she wanted to park where the students were parking so she could make sure she understood how they had to park and get to school.

Students had a great deal of respect for the college president because she was following her own rules even though she didn't have to. The students felt like she valued them and as a result put a great deal of effort into helping the university succeed.

When you are able to lead through example, you show people the way to act and think. Showing people is much better than telling them. When you tell someone they will only understand a small percentage of what you said. When you show them they will understand not only what you meant to say, but the intent behind what you would have said. When people see you leading the way they can put their entire effort behind your intention and not feel like they have to reserve part of themself because you are trying to take advantage of them.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by GenOrumov: 7:20pm On Dec 30, 2012
Dede1: Nigeria’s main problem is rooted in tribalism and religion. The only remedy to Nigeria’s misery is disintegration. It is a perceived fact that the Republic of Igbo-land will try to avoid the instances of being shamed for lacking behind Republic of Odua in terms of socio-politico-economic development, vis-à-vis. There shall be a healthy competition as well as cooperation among the nation states. In addition, there shall be a genuine fight against corruption among the nation states.
I don't think Disintegration will totally solve our problems. Nigeria's main problem may be tribalism and religion but we have other countries that have more than one tribe and religion but their's isn't as pathetic as Nigeria's. Our major problem is poverty which has led to serious corruption. Even if we disintegrate, corruption which is now part of our orientation and culture will still hold us back. Jonathan has said it all. Attitude is our major challenge.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by KokoBeware: 7:23pm On Dec 30, 2012
aribisala0: It was claimed that accidents on bad roads are due to corruption .

The President rejects this stating that most accidents occur on good roads.

Our president seems to have a problem with logic.

If a fisherman tells me that he tends to catch more fish in his boat than when he is in his car do I conclude that this is because his boat makes him a better fisherman??

He did not dispute that their are "BAD ROADS" but has informed Nigerians that there are also some "GOOD ROADS"(This is as Bob Alan would say LEVEL 25 NEWS!) Let us accept this assertion for discussion sake. We would still like to know which roads are the good ones SO WE CAN AVOID THEM and which ones are the BAD so WE CAN USE THEM to save our lives.

I have considered his words for over an hour and still do not get his reasoning. Is he actually admitting that YES THERE ARE BAD ROADS DUE TO corruption but That is what is better for Nigerians because THEY HAVE BAD ATTITUDE to good roads. If you give them good roads they tend to crash MORE OFTEN? Give them bad roads and they have the right attitude

Honestly "I Perplex".

Seriously I think in nigeria there are more accidents on good roads.... After going through a long stretch of bad road and find a nice smooth road people see it as an opportunity to test their speedometers and see how far it can go... And there are no speed limits on this roads so they drive crazily..... Abuja is a very good example : you will wonder how anyone in his right sense will speed through an intersection in wuse2 ... But every other morning you'll find broken glasses at those junctions...
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by KokoBeware: 7:26pm On Dec 30, 2012
Gen. Orumov:
I don't think Disintegration will totally solve our problems. Nigeria's main problem may be tribalism and religion but we have other countries that have more than one tribe and religion but their's isn't as pathetic as Nigeria's. Our major problem is poverty which has led to serious corruption. Even if we disintegrate, corruption which is now part of our orientation and culture will still hold us back. Jonathan has said it all. Attitude is our major challenge.

True!!! Even after we disintegrate Hausa will still fight Fulani .... Delta igbos will still fight IMO igbos ..... Ogonis will still fight Okrika's .....the list is unending..
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by kulutempa: 7:29pm On Dec 30, 2012
When I read some of the imbecilic comments here supporting the statement of Goodluck Jonathan, a useless, good for nothing, shameless President of a country of 160 million people, I realise that Nigeria still has a long, long, long way to go. To take some of the arguments here to a logical conclusion, it's like Obama saying that he can't do anything about the frequent gun murders in America because Americans just have to change their attitudes about guns. This man Goodluck Jonathan is a disgrace to all Nigerians and he is one of the reason why Europeans and other saner countries would look down on you when you arrive at their airports with your green passports. Only an idiotic leader of the highest order would absolve himself of responsibility for the serious problems in his country and I have to say in this regard that GEJ is the most dense President this country has ever had the misfortune of having since her independence. And to those of you stating that he is right, I would say, birds of the same feather flock together.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by aribisala0(m): 7:30pm On Dec 30, 2012
Let us agree there are good roads and that more accidents occur on them We then have the following question.

Teacher :please choose the most suitable answer from A to E

This is because

A: Very few people use the bad compared to good roads and so more accidents will happen because of traffic volume
B; People tend to speed more on good roads because of their bad attitude and this results in more acidents on good roads
C; Accidents happen regrdless of road condition and the observation is a fluke
D; We need more research to explain our findings
E; The bad roads force people to drive so slowly there can be very few accident

GEJ : The Answer is B simple

Teacher :
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by mosunade(f): 7:44pm On Dec 30, 2012
kulutempa: When I read some of the imbecilic comments here supporting the statement of Goodluck Jonathan, a useless, good for nothing, shameless President of a country of 160 million people, I realise that Nigeria still has a long, long, long way to go. To take some of the arguments here to a logical conclusion, it's like Obama saying that he can't do anything about the frequent gun murders in America because Americans just have to change their attitudes about guns. This man Goodluck Jonathan is a disgrace to all Nigerians and he is one of the reason why Europeans and other saner countries would look down on you when you arrive at their airports with your green passports. Only an idiotic leader of the highest order would absolve himself of responsibility for the serious problems in his country and I have to say in this regard that GEJ is the most dense President this country has ever had the misfortune of having since her independence. And to those of you stating that he is right, I would say, birds of the same feather flock together.

Really. Not because Nigerians are known for crime and they have loads of them in their jail houses?

Act your name. Cool your temper. dont blow an artery because of GEJ. Cool down and make some sense.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by kulutempa: 7:47pm On Dec 30, 2012
Why ‘Following the Leader’ Is More Than Just a Hokey Expression

I believe leadership from the front is the right approach.

For instance, the Israeli Army has, since its inception, adopted the theory of Ahrayot. Loosely translated, this refers to the fact that Israeli commanders lead from the front, set an example, push themselves at least as hard as they push their troops, and demand the best from themselves first, and their fighters second.

Without wanting to enter into a political discussion, it’s fair to say that the first 30 years or so of the State of Israel shows the value of this approach – the Israeli Army achieved almost mythical success.

Moving away from sensitive political discussions and circling back to an example that’s for me much closer to home, I’m involved in a bunch of different voluntary organizations. Most of which are led by fine individuals that understand the concept of leading from the front. Unfortunately, one organization in which I’m involved is led by an individual who perfectly exemplifies how NOT to lead. Leaders may think that their subordinates don’t notice, but choosing the easiest jobs for yourself, treating particular members as favorites, and always planning things to most comfortably fit with your schedule are all examples of behaviors that lessen the respect subordinates will have for their leader.

Speaking with my wife the other night, she put it more succinctly than I can: “If you’re in a leadership position, you need to actually lead by example.”

How many of us have experienced a workplace situation where a so-called “leader” was never to be found. When things got tough and someone needed to step-up, he or she was invariably off having coffee somewhere, or muttering a host of excuses reasons as to why they couldn’t actually do what was needed at the time. I know I’ve experienced that often, and am guessing that most readers will have also.

link http://www.zendesk.com/blog/why-following-the-leader-is-more-than-just-a-hokey-expression
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by babapupa: 7:50pm On Dec 30, 2012
chess guru:
Guy pipe down and relax before you blow an artery. Anybody that says GEJ has performed is either blind or sick.
But what I am asking is for you 2 define ur role as a nigerian citizen. So you pay ur taxes, good. What other responsibility do you have?
How many times have u seen illegality in ur vicinity and tried 2 do something about it (no matter how pointless it might appear)
How many times have u seen something wrong, and looked the other way, or corrected that person.
We all know the responsibility of this failing govt, but I ask what is yours?
When you can answer that, then you will know that development i is everybodys business not J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ one mans business.

And I'm telling you that its not my job to fight corruption in Nigeria and I'm not the person or entities you are paying billions of naira every year to fight corruption.

Don't worry about my attitude, you just need to do your job and if I'm guilty of corruption or any crime, prosecute and throw me in jail ..that's your job regardless of my attitude, that's your primary and legislated obligation to your country regardless of my attitude.

Just do your job and quit pointing fingers at the same people they are paying you to serve and protect.

Question, do you have a job and if you do, do you do the job thy hire and pay you to do or you don't until the other people around you change their attitude.to your preceded attitude? I'm sure you don't because if you do, they'll fire you for laziness and Incompetence.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by Nobody: 8:21pm On Dec 30, 2012
in essence,he has thrown us under bus washing his hands like pilate about to kill jesus,he says "its u,its ur attitude that has made nigeria what it is,i dont have anything to do with the mess this nation is"i dont know what books u grew up on and whatlife lessons u learnt,as a first child,the buck stops with me,i have to pick up slack for my bro and sis,i have to make sure they eat even if there attitude is effked up,i have to make money to take care of my siblings and parents,even at twenty i knew that,and i worked my butt off,when i was a manager @26,i had to keep everyone satisified,if my team failed it was my head on the block,no excuses,so i learnt to solve,calculate,no time for the blame game.jonathan when u had ur phd,i was in sec sch,but as young as 12,i knew where the buck stopped.do u eater of 1 bn naira food?
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by modicum: 8:23pm On Dec 30, 2012
“Corruption is not the cause of our problems, it’s our attitude,” says Jonathan. Yeah. The same way PDP is not the cause of our problems, it’s Jonathan.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by Nobody: 8:29pm On Dec 30, 2012
Yoshi-Master:

I have always said our attitude as a people needs to improve, with that said however, most of the things you listed above are really indirect causes of corruption.

Just like the way some people might support these new very harsh laws in Lagos, advocating that tougher is better (even 3 years in jail tough for hanging a BB on your ear), the common trend is for people to fail to see how untamed corruption has gotten us to the point of these harsh laws and overall bad attitudes towards people.

Take the case of the chaotic lawlessness pervasive throughout the Lagos driving community, so who do we turn to, to save the day? Police? Corrupt as hell, and that right there is just my point. The systems of government have become so rotten, that it spurns internal hatred towards the government, and in turn towards others.

I mean I once got in a small wreck at lekki roundabout, and explained to the police that the roundabout has 3 lanes, same as the feeder roads that lead to the roundabout (also three lanes), and that upon reaching the roundabout, I expected the guy that hit me to adhere to his lane (meaning if he was on the middle lane approaching the roundabout, he should continue at the middle lane once at the roundabout instead of all three lanes trying to force their way to the left lane. Ofcourse the guy that hit me was like AHHHHHH, in Lagos Ke, and the police guy was just looking stupid and expecting me to give him money (how giving him money is related to my accident, I DO NOT KNOW).

Bottom line if u curb corruption, fire police who ask for a single bribe, CONSISTENTLY fine traffic offenders (have all residents in a system and license numbers linked so fines can be enfored), you wouldnt have soo much road rage and bad attitudes toward fellow drivers. This is just an example of corruption in traffic police, now factor in every government body, then its almost like EVERY MAN FOR HIMSELF.

THANK YOU!!!
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by 2goodbobo(m): 8:30pm On Dec 30, 2012
Mr president I beg to differ on this your assertion. We need a realist for a president and not an idealiest like you. We all know that the bane of Nigeria problem, backwardness, underdevelopment and stagnation, is Corruption. Your assertion to me shows that you are only trying to hide the truth under the carpet thereby trying to divert our attention from the truth and blame it on our attitudinal pattern.

If you can be bold enough to fight and curb corruption, Nigerians will be forced to change their attitude. You think Nigerians are blind or deaf not to see or hear the incessant and gigantic amount of money that is been stolen and laundered by political office holders?

You expect me to dance and clap my hands for someone that is stealing our money instead of using it to provide service to the people? We the Nigerian people entered a social contract with you and that's why we gave you our mandate. It is left for you to keep to your own part of the contract.

How many Federal roads are road worthy? If not for the fact the it was an elite that was involved in road accident, would you have gone to inquire from the Road Safety if it was an ordinary citizen. Instead of you to device a workable means on how to tackle corruption, you are here trying to defend your negligence. Attitude inter alia is part of our problems and we all know that but don't come here and say we must change our attitude before things can get better. Make things better and you will be appalled by the level of change in our attitude.

Finally, if you don't have any meaningful thing to say, is better you don't say anything because you are only adding salt to the already injury your regime has inflicted on Nigerians.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by onitshaigbo(m): 8:34pm On Dec 30, 2012
AMEN! Once again, Our President the Honourable Mr GEJ is right on the money. It's our inferior complex to other countries (even other African countries) that's holding us back, not the corruption that exists even in the most advanced countries. Nigeria will be a superpower in my life time. Amen.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by VolvoS60(m): 8:37pm On Dec 30, 2012
Fantastic thread. grin

Ther are some posters here whom I would definitely want on my side if I had a debate or a lawsuit I needed to win.

And there are others who greatly strengthen the case for compulsory education in critical reasoning/analysis, logic and philosophy grin in our schools.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by kulutempa: 8:50pm On Dec 30, 2012
Perhaps President Goodluck Jonathan Phd. Commander in Chief, would care to tell us why thousands of Nigerians abroad are not involved in accidents on the good roads of Europe and America because of their bad attitude. Come on Mr President, we are waiting.
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by userlist(f): 8:55pm On Dec 30, 2012
Ikengawo:
He's 100% right. People use corruption as a scapegoat because they're too lazy to think when in reality it's
the mentality of the people and attitude that's holding the country back. America is very corrupt. What we
call bribes here as called Lobby's in the US and Lobbyists (Bribers) get offices in Washington DC and websites.
They pay politicians to do what they want the politicians to do and pay the media to do their own bidding, but
the country functions. Everything from inflated contracts to cronyism and ballot manipulation, is in the US openly

the difference is if you pass a law in the US people follow it and whom ever's duty it is to enforce it will enforce it.
If you build a good road in Nigeria people use it to speed. The police hired to enforce it will sleep on he job,
and if someone gets in trouble for breaking a law they act like the government is oppressing them.

Most accidents in Nigeria happen on good roads. The only thing stopping Nigerians from going top speed in
their cars at all times are potholes. Nigerians need a new civic culture.

You are dead wrong my friend. In the US the politicians are not directly given the money but the lobby
group sometimes donate money to their interest group and their campaigns. People don't obey laws in the US
it is the enforcers of that law that is saddled with the responsibility of making sure that law is obeyed.
Now, you tell me why the same enforcers in Nigeria doesn't carry out their responsibility. CORRUPTION

If GEJ is not corrupt, he wouldn't have made such a statement. This dude is clueless

1 Like

Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by userlist(f): 9:02pm On Dec 30, 2012
mosun_ade
What has coruption got to do with people dieng in accidents because they do not obey traffic/driving rules.
Is over speeding an issue of corruption.
Is overloading an issue of corruption.
Is poor vehicle maintenance an issue of corruption?
Is drunk driving an issue of corruption?
The man made a statement on the cause of accidents and your blood pressure rose up causing you to start a thread on it.
You still have over two years of hot temper posting to do on NairaLand.

It is the duty of the government to change our
attitude. They make the laws and they are suppose to enforce it.
Some people here blame those that drink and drive, please tell
one person that has been convicted and jailed in Nigeria for drinking and driving.
Everything you listed in your posting are as a result of corruption
But here in the US, people are convicted everyday
Re: Jonathan: Our Greatest Challenge Is Our Attitutude Not Corruption. by userlist(f): 9:17pm On Dec 30, 2012
Then Jonathan should tell us how to change our attitude.
In Canada for instance, crimes are committed everyday
but if you are cut you get punished no matter your
status in the society. But in the case of Nigeria,
your guess is as good as mine

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Card Reader Fails To Recognise Governor Of Adamawa, Ngillari’s Biometrics / Celebrities And Policemen Protest Against Gender Based Violence / Nigerian Army Writes PREMIUM TIMES, Talks Tough, Threatens Legal Action

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.