Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,230 members, 7,815,297 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:26 AM

Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World (45381 Views)

Nigerian Military Ranks And Their Symbols / Nigeria Ranks 4th On Interpol's African Wanted List / Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by vislabraye(m): 3:05pm On Jan 20, 2013
einstein_e:

The average Ethiopian soldier has more military experience than the Nigerian soldier. They have been battling Eritrea and Al Shebab for years. Before that, they've had skirmishes with italy. They have always taken their military as serious business hence their ranking on this list.

Do you know how many Nigerian soldiers go for peace keeping?
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by TerryCarr(m): 3:11pm On Jan 20, 2013
KnowAll:
[size=18pt]HOW COULD ETHOPIA BE D SECOND IN AFRICA, WHEN THEY LOST PART OF THEIR TERRITORY IN A WAR TO ERETRIA AND THEY COULD NOT EVEN DEFEAT AL-SHEBAB DESPITE SEVERAL ATTEMPTS IN SOMALIA[/size].
Ethiopia kick them out of Mogadishu http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fall_of_Mogadishu
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by TerryCarr(m): 3:16pm On Jan 20, 2013
aribisala0:
There is nothing new so why should I be surprised you are misusing the word "BEST" and also misinterpreting the information. I am not disputing the information just YOUR INTERPRETATION. Does biggest mean best The question really is WHAT DOES THE INFORMATION MEAN
Does it separate Maritime from LAnd or Airbase capabilities. Does it mention whether the country manufactures or BUYS arms and what significance that might have.
Saudi Arabia spends more than many countries on arms but their strength is VERY DOUBTFUL

does it help us predict outcome if any of those on the list engage each other. Does it matter WHERE the engagement happens eg.

If the US were to engage Chinese forces in China will the outcome be the same as if they engage them in Mexico or in Burma.
A country may be very good in defending itself but have little offensive capability.

The facts are what they are but please eschew that word BEST that is YOUR OWN INTERPRETATION.
Some countries are very strong on water while others have next to No Naval capacity . Some countries can deploy outside their continent while others cannot.so the comparisons are meaningless in practice.
Can Nigeria go to war in Tanzania

Certainly American forces were NOT best in Vietnam and are struggling to be best in Afghanistan.

America left Vietnam then the north invaded the south. and the only time you got solders dieing in afghan is mostly because of an IED so you really can't call it "struggling"
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by ignis: 3:50pm On Jan 20, 2013
lain: I doubt if even the americans can defeat nigeria in a conventional war strictly with the use of guns.. Our skin tough pass their own na
Bros, abeg no think am
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by einsteine(m): 3:57pm On Jan 20, 2013
There is a HUGE difference between peacekeeping and actual war. Nigeria has not been involved in the latter since 1970.
vislabraye:

Do you know how many Nigerian soldiers go for peace keeping?
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by aribisala0(m): 4:00pm On Jan 20, 2013
TerryCarr:
America left Vietnam then the north invaded the south. and the only time you got solders dieing in afghan is mostly because of an IED so you really can't call it "struggling"
They left VietNam? Why did they leave. What was there objective for Invading? "to fight communism" when they "left" VietNam was communist so please tell that fairy tale to someone who does not know the history. America failed in Vietnam and their people did not have the appetite for blood after 50000 American DEATHS . They abandoned the South to their fate after egging them on with false promises

This is what Henry Kissinger told President Ford "we cannot help draw the conclusion that our armed forces are not suited to this kind of war." That is when dem see wetin pass dem. The reality is US force saw in the Viet Cong the kind of determination they had never seen,that they knew they did not have

Ho Chi Minh is quoted as saying, "You can kill ten of my men for every one I kill of yours...But even at these odds you will lose and I will win."

The US like to bomb they don't like to FIGHT, in VietNam they had no choice.The only way they could have won that war was Nuclear weapons.

The Secretary of Defense McNamara said "the achievement of a military victory by U.S. forces in Vietnam was indeed a dangerous illusion.

Over 50000 men DIED and you say they "LEFT" as in they said "farewell see you later?"

What is their objective in Afghanistan. Even funnier ;they don't know and frankly no one does.

Well I really can and do call that struggling what are you going to do ,declare war?
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by levos2007(m): 4:35pm On Jan 20, 2013
you need to look at the economy as well, NK is a strong country that can face USA without any Allies. They produce their own weapon.
rileest: I'm finding it hard to believe this ranking with North Korea being so down in the ranking and South Korea being way ahead of them. Anyone should be educate me on this because I've been made to believe North Korea is a military country and could easily erase the whole of South Korea If the South doesn't get help from US and other world Powers. Nice one for Nigeria though
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by Blyss: 4:48pm On Jan 20, 2013
rileest: I'm finding it hard to believe this ranking with North Korea being so down in the ranking and South Korea being way ahead of them. Anyone should be educate me on this because I've been made to believe North Korea is a military country and could easily erase the whole of South Korea If the South doesn't get help from US and other world Powers. Nice one for Nigeria though

No, NK ground forces are of course well trained, though the entire force as a whole is full of old rundown rusty dusty equipment, while SK has some of the worlds most advance equipment at their disposal and they are also very well trained. The only thing NK will have on SK is moral. The NK have been groomed for war and very little else. Their life evolves around what they consider an inevitable incident. They welcome the day the South and or US will go to war with them. cheesy
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by mrjingles(m): 4:54pm On Jan 20, 2013
einstein_e: There is a HUGE difference between peacekeeping and actual war. Nigeria has not been involved in the latter since 1970.

Bros you don't know your history, you think Nigerian troops went to sierra leon and liberia for vacation? That was not peacekeeping but peace enforcement. It was all out war bros.
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by Blyss: 5:05pm On Jan 20, 2013
mrjingles:

Bros you don't know your history, you think Nigerian troops went to sierra leon and liberia for vacation? That was not peacekeeping but peace enforcement. It was all out war bros.

It wasn't a war in the conventional sense.
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by andrewza: 5:08pm On Jan 20, 2013
mrjingles:

Yes but you never fought a war here either.
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by true2god: 5:21pm On Jan 20, 2013
cyril83: simply bcoz they believe in juju coz they lack tactical training besides you dare not try american army or ussr with ur juju
Funny but true.
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jan 20, 2013
It was a CONVENTIONAL WAR.

Blyss:

It wasn't a war in the conventional sense.
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by true2god: 5:36pm On Jan 20, 2013
aribisala0: I remember the local draughts champion in my area one Igbo guy whose name I forget.

His favourite expression "one tack two". Believe me nobody could play him 20;20
R u sure? Chat me on my yahoomail sml_danlz@yahoo.com. I love draught and chess. If he beats me den hes a true champion.
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by andrewza: 5:38pm On Jan 20, 2013
aze: It was a CONVENTIONAL WAR.

Realy. You do not know what the term means. The reble where not a realy army. They had no heavy wepaons never mind air suport. There logistics was a joke. What you did there was a low to midiem inteserty war.
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by Blyss: 6:06pm On Jan 20, 2013
andrewza:

Realy. You do not know what the term means. The reble where not a realy army. They had no heavy wepaons never mind air suport. There logistics was a joke. What you did there was a low to midiem inteserty war.

Correct.
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by vislabraye(m): 6:09pm On Jan 20, 2013
andrewza:

Yes but you never fought a war here either.

Has there ever been war in the US soil? But can you try their soldiers?
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jan 20, 2013
vislabraye:

Quality of manpower would have to do with the skills or competence of the military personels.
For instance, US is the most equipped but Israel has the best infantries in the world as well as intelligence.
Also Nigeria has the best army in Africa, but was surprise to see Ethiopia ahead of us. Nigeria's military does not have the best equipment. But when it comes to ground combat, only few countries in the world compare to us.
Lol... Hahaha!!! I am enjoying this.
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by vislabraye(m): 6:15pm On Jan 20, 2013
ignis:
Bros, abeg no think am

Its true. The US can't try Nigeria in conventional war. Firstly, they don't understand our terrain. Our climate won't favour them.
The strenght of the military depends a lot on eqipments.
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by andrewza: 6:21pm On Jan 20, 2013
vislabraye:

Has there ever been war in the US soil? But can you try their soldiers?

The USA has fought a number of high inteserty wars before. The last one was the invasion of Iraq that then becam a coin opertion. During the first gulf war where the wiped out the Miltary of Iraq. Then there was vietnam. A war that was both coin and a high intesty war against the NVA (the Amrican never lost a major battel against the communasts there) so they have experiance in it.
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by CARLISTO77(m): 6:23pm On Jan 20, 2013
wassup123:

Kudos!! With the rankin, bt very ironic as we ar still facin the bokoharam menace
Just as Spain did struggle with ETA, deadly terrorist group
that passed long-term menace to the sovereignty of Spain.
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by andrewza: 6:23pm On Jan 20, 2013
vislabraye:

Its true. The US can't try Nigeria in conventional war. Firstly, they don't understand our terrain. Our climate won't favour them.

Iraq thoght the same thing and they where a lot stronger than Nigeria. If you said in a un covetnionl war you would be able to talk with truth.
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by Sagamite(m): 6:26pm On Jan 20, 2013
vislabraye:

It is a SUNDAY and all you decide to do with the day is to get seriously and ridiculously high?

You are smoking that special shyt all day?
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by CARLISTO77(m): 6:31pm On Jan 20, 2013
PHIPEX: I agree with you, this ranking should be about possesion of weapon of war rather than being the best. Compare the amount Egypt and SA budgeted for their Military in d statistics above and you'll discover that each of them budgeted double of the amount Nigeria budgeted for same period meaning they can afford to buy more Military hardwares than Nigeria. Does it then imply that if Nigeria doubles it's budget for the Military and uses it to acquire some military hardware its ranking will improve? For there to be ranking on which country has the BEST military, the skills of the military personnel should be noted because. For instance, 5 military men who have seen several wars (both home and away) from Nigeria maybe be able to take care of 15 Soldiers from Ethiopia who have not been to major wars in several years even with the weapons at their arsenal. Moreso, should a country that is landlocked be seen as worse-off simply because it has no Navy?. The title is misleading.

Well articulated my fella...You've posted well.
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by Godogwu: 7:47pm On Jan 20, 2013
Ganys: .......Choi...i thought Nigeria is The Giant of Africa shocked shocked shocked
Hmmm......Maybe we are the Giant in Corruption, Kidnapping, Armed Robbery and terrorism undecided undecided undecided

Aren't you F O O L I S H ?
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by Tinyemeka(m): 8:00pm On Jan 20, 2013
Rolling.:

My great country Nigeria

Nigeria PwrIndx: 1.3412
 MANPOWER
 Total Population: 162,470,737 [2012]
 Available Manpower: 72,319,838 [2011]
 Fit for Service: 40,707,659 [2011]
 Reaching Military Age Annually: 3,455,147 [2011]
 Active Frontline Personnel: 100,000 [2012]
 Active Reserve Personnel: 0 [2012]

I compared the weapons systems and available millitary manpower between Nigeria and South Africa. Besides the purchasing power and Defence budget, I don't see how RSA is being rated above Nigeria.

In time of war or as conditions necessitate, that defence budget can drastically increase. Even within that fiscal year.

LAND SYSTEMS
Tank value includes MBT, light tanks and tank destroyer systems, wheeled or tracked.
 Tanks: 363 [2012]
 Armored Fighting Vehicles: 1,407 [2012]
 Self-Propelled Guns: 48 [2012]
 Towed Artillery Pieces: 680 [2012]
 Rocket Projectors (MLRS): 0 [2012]
 Portable Mortar Systems: 300 [2012]
 Portable AT Weapons: 120 [2012]
 Logistical Vehicles: 6,000

AIR POWER
Includes fixed-wing and rotary-wing aircraft from all branches of service.
All aircraft types accounted for including UAVs, transports, gunships, recon, naval, trainers, etc...
 Total Aircraft: 294 [2012]
 Helicopters: 84 [2012]

NAVAL POWER
Aircraft Carrier value does not include helicopter carrier-type vessels.
 Total Strength: 37 (includes auxiliaries)
 Aircraft Carriers: 0 [2012]
 Frigates: 2 [2012]
 Destroyers: 0 [2012]
 Corvettes: 4 [2012]
 Submarines: 0 [2012]
 Coastal Craft: 16 [2012]
 Mine Warfare: 2 [2012]
 Amphibious Assault: 0 [2012]

RESOURCES (PETROLEUM)
 Oil Production: 2,528,000 bbl/day [2012]
 Oil Consumption: 52,000 bbl/day [2010]
 Proven Oil Reserves: 37,200,000,000 bbl/day [2012]

LOGISTICAL
 Labor Force: 52,500,000 [2012]
 Merchant Marine Strength: 89 [2012]
 Major Ports and Terminals: 3
 Roadway Coverage: 193,200
 Railway Coverage: 3,505
 Serviceable Airports: 53 [2012]

FINANCIAL (in USD)
 Defense Budget: $2,215,000,000 [2012]
 External Debt: $9,640,000,000 [2011]
 Reserves of Foreign Exchange and Gold: $35,210,000,000 [2012]
 Purchasing Power Parity: $418,700,000,000 [2012]

GEOGRAPHY (in km)
 Square Land Area: 923,768 km
 Coastline: 853 km
 Shared Border: 4,047 km
 Waterways: 8,600 km

http://www.globalfirepower.com/country-military-strength-detail.asp?country_id=Nigeria
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by Blyss: 8:02pm On Jan 20, 2013
andrewza:

The USA has fought a number of high inteserty wars before. The last one was the invasion of Iraq that then becam a coin opertion. During the first gulf war where the wiped out the Miltary of Iraq. Then there was vietnam. A war that was both coin and a high intesty war against the NVA (the Amrican never lost a major battel against the communasts there) so they have experiance in it.

Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Mexican-American war
Civil War
Spanish-American war
WW1
WW2
Korean War
Gulf War 1
Gulf war 2
Afghanistan war

These were all conventional wars in which the US took engaged in victoriously. Vietnam is often titled as Tie, but I say it was a lose. Panama wasn't really a conventional fight, it was more on par with what the Nigerian forces did in Liberia and Sierra Leon.
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by andrewza: 8:12pm On Jan 20, 2013
Blyss:

Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Mexican-American war
Civil War
Spanish-American war
WW1
WW2
Korean War
Gulf War 1
Gulf war 2
Afghanistan war

These were all conventional wars in which the US took engaged in victoriously. Vietnam is often titled as Tie, but I say it was a lose. Panama wasn't really a conventional fight, it was more on par with what the Nigerian forces did in Liberia and Sierra Leon.

I did not count any thing pre 1970s. The advance in warfare was to great.

And the war of 1812. Was that not when Canada (well it was britsh canda) invaded you. Just saying according to history Canada is one of the only 3 countreis to invade home land amrica(mexio on brits being the second.
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by billyG(m): 8:23pm On Jan 20, 2013
This list is trash how can yu say indian is aheard of istreal who supply them advance weapon tech,or above uk & france even impoverise ethiopia ahead of nigeriaHe!He!!He!!!
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by Faculty14(m): 8:23pm On Jan 20, 2013
Tah!..dz rankin is so fake!..hw cn u rake isreal 13..nd ethiopia 2nd..bro do d math again
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by Blyss: 8:23pm On Jan 20, 2013
vislabraye:

LOL, this is a complete joke.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Disquiet In PDP As Jonathan Loses Senatorial District To Sylva, APC / Tafa Balogun Arrived Court In Handcuffs (Throwback Pic) / Owerri Deserted As Nnamdi Kanu Appears In Court In Abuja: Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.