Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,056 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:17 AM

Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World (45378 Views)

Nigerian Military Ranks And Their Symbols / Nigeria Ranks 4th On Interpol's African Wanted List / Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by chronique(m): 9:30pm On Jan 20, 2013
OUR DEFENCE BUDGET IS ALMOST 100% HIGHER THAN THAT OF ETHOPIA,YET THEY HAVE EQUIPMENTS THAT ARE ALMOST AT PAR WITH US AND EVEN HAVE MORE SOPHISTICATED WEAPONS THAN US. IT'S OBVIOUS OUR YEARLY DEFENCE BUDGET IS ALL FRAUD. THE MONEY GOES INTO PRIVATE POCKETS.
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by andrewza: 9:40pm On Jan 20, 2013
chronique: OUR DEFENCE BUDGET IS ALMOST 100% HIGHER THAN THAT OF ETHOPIA,YET THEY HAVE EQUIPMENTS THAT ARE ALMOST AT PAR WITH US AND EVEN HAVE MORE SOPHISTICATED WEAPONS THAN US. IT'S OBVIOUS OUR YEARLY DEFENCE BUDGET IS ALL FRAUD. THE MONEY GOES INTO PRIVATE POCKETS.

Did you take in to account number of solders, diffrence in pay, the amount spent on training, the maintaince cost difrence(new dose not mean more expensive to maintain far from it).the ammount of solders on operations extra extra.
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by stankezzy: 10:10pm On Jan 20, 2013
aribisala0:
They left VietNam? Why did they leave. What was there objective for Invading? "to fight communism" when they "left" VietNam was communist so please tell that fairy tale to someone who does not know the history. America failed in Vietnam and their people did not have the appetite for blood after 50000 American DEATHS . They abandoned the South to their fate after egging them on with false promises

This is what Henry Kissinger told President Ford "we cannot help draw the conclusion that our armed forces are not suited to this kind of war." That is when dem see wetin pass dem. The reality is US force saw in the Viet Cong the kind of determination they had never seen,that they knew they did not have

Ho Chi Minh is quoted as saying, "You can kill ten of my men for every one I kill of yours...But even at these odds you will lose and I will win."

The US like to bomb they don't like to FIGHT, in VietNam they had no choice.The only way they could have won that war was Nuclear weapons.

The Secretary of Defense McNamara said "the achievement of a military victory by U.S. forces in Vietnam was indeed a dangerous illusion.

Over 50000 men DIED and you say they "LEFT" as in they said "farewell see you later?"

What is their objective in Afghanistan. Even funnier ;they don't know and frankly no one does.

Well I really can and do call that struggling what are you going to do ,declare war?
most of us do nt know history,it is not just repeating what u heard but make inquiry,i have watched the vidio nd read d books,if you are bombing some body at d rate of one fighter every 30mins;for up to a year nd still d person refuse to surrender,nd d next tin he did was to mix soldgers wit civilians,wat will you do?mimd u america went to d place for peace nd not to kill every body nd by den the world have started accusing america of humanitarian crisis,they do nt have option than to pull out.they are nt deafeted.
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by Sagamite(m): 10:26pm On Jan 20, 2013
Blyss:

LOL, this is a complete joke.

The guy hear say Basketmouth dey make money, e too wan start comedy career.
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by stankezzy: 10:57pm On Jan 20, 2013
billyG: This list is trash how can yu say indian is aheard of istreal who supply them advance weapon tech,or above uk & france even impoverise ethiopia ahead of nigeriaHe!He!!He!!!
first either u manufacture weapons or u buy them,either you buy from the west/america or u buy from russia.the type of weapon sold to u is according to thier trust or how they are seeing u.mind u if you are a troublesome country ,usa/russian even china will not agree to sell advance equipments to u.in case of isreal if u attack them they will be fighting but when it becomes difficult to them, other world powers will send both money weapon and people.that is why they are said to be strong.isreal is not more than a state in nigeria in terms of population.we know problem we use to have is reapeting what we hear with out making enquiry.how can isreal that were nt fully establish during the six days war ,with a little population of around 1m then,coming together not more than 2years to become a country defeat the whole arab nations that ran in millions.we all know that those air superiority,the planes ,thousands of bombs that they use to over power the arabs was provided by somebody.is not as if am against them but i want to clearify some issues.although through usa, they have developed nuclear capabilitys more than most countrys above them in ranking.
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by slimfit1(m): 10:58pm On Jan 20, 2013
johndwayy: embarassedSo 9ja nor get money 2 buy submarine.....wetin dey happen sef.

You don't no Nigeria do have submarine it's used to chauffeur government officers to river Niger
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by aribisala0(m): 11:37pm On Jan 20, 2013
stankezzy: most of us do nt know history,it is not just repeating what u heard but make inquiry,i have watched the vidio nd read d books,if you are bombing some body at d rate of one fighter every 30mins;for up to a year nd still d person refuse to surrender,nd d next tin he did was to mix soldgers wit civilians,wat will you do?mimd u america went to d place for peace nd not to kill every body nd by den the world have started accusing america of humanitarian crisis,they do nt have option than to pull out.they are nt deafeted.
You have read videos and read books and others did what consulted Native doctor or TB Joshua?? Is there anything secret about what happened in the Vietnam war?? Better to keep quiet if you have nothing to say. If you leave your country to go to another man's country saying you will not allow that country to fall into the hands of communists and over 50000 of your men die and then you run away and that same country falls into the hands of communists then that looks very much NOT like a victory. I'd say it was a humiliating defeat.

War is not a game of "I killed more of your guys than you killed mine".

They had a MISSION and they failed to achieve their MISSION. The enemy ACHIEVED their mission.

You sound like the Americans who believe the enemy has a duty to surrender because of bombs as they would if it had been them. Well some people will literally fight to the last man and Americans did not have the stomach for that.
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by slimfit1(m): 11:39pm On Jan 20, 2013
With GEJ giving our military equipments to is VIP and pdp to use including Boko Ham we are of cause not safe as long as he is in government. We don't even have a submarine thank God America missed a bullet there, who knows what prejo would do with it. Probably give it out to his pdp Boko Haram members to attack America with it. I think I'm more safe with the Somalian Military than Nigerian military. The Nigerian military are jokers from the top to the bottom they all don't know there duties and boundaries in the civilian settings. I wouldn't be surprised if it was president Jonathan that is supplying boko Haram with guns. He supplied someone with helicopters the other day remember the one that crashed yeah.
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by Nobody: 11:56pm On Jan 20, 2013
Blyss:

Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Mexican-American war
Civil War
Spanish-American war
WW1
WW2
Korean War
Gulf War 1
Gulf war 2
Afghanistan war

These were all conventional wars in which the US took engaged in victoriously. Vietnam is often titled as Tie, but I say it was a lose. Panama wasn't really a conventional fight, it was more on par with what the Nigerian forces did in Liberia and Sierra Leon.

The war of 1812 was a tie.

The US could not have won the Korean war, beacuse its ally (South Korea) didn't (and still doesn't) control the entire peninsula.
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by Biafrarep(m): 12:01am On Jan 21, 2013
all4naija: Lol@ Nigeria and South Africa. It is surprising Ethiopians take security serious. Not in the case of Nigeria where the military officials would want to rule. Nigerian Active Fronline Personnel of 100,000(as at 2012) is dwarfed by Ethiopia 182,500(as at 2011).

Shame on the Nigerian military force for been so obsessed with president position and leaving the nation security at the mercy of weakness! I hope they sort themselves out and increase the manpower.
Ethiopia has every need to maintain such a large army because they have recurring rebelion by a section of the country that wants to break away and is located in a very hostile region, they have been engaged in a perpetual war of attrition with Eritrea and lately Somalia. The same applies to Egypt unlike Nigeria and SA That are located in relatively peaceful areas and equally surrounded by banana republics with no real threat to them
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by Blyss: 2:04am On Jan 21, 2013
HNosegbe:

The war of 1812 was a tie.

The US could not have won the Korean war, beacuse its ally (South Korea) didn't (and still doesn't) control the entire peninsula.

The war of 1812 was not a tie, it was a victory. The Brits invaded the US, and the US pushed them out, that's a victory. Now the US did attempt to go further and push them out of the border areas of Eastern Canada in a effort to obtain full control of the great lakes and the St. Lawrence River, they were rather successful up till their invasion of Quebec city, in whom's historic fortifications proved to be more trouble than the Americans were willing to put forth the effort for, and so they dropped the effort of taking Canada and pulled out, satisfied with the fact of that they kicked the Brits azz once again in their attempt to control them. cheesy

If the American would of continued their bombardment attack on Quebec, they would of taken eventually taken it within a few months more time, and in turn they would of obtained full control of the St. Lawrence riven and thus control of Eastern Canada, with the exception of Nova Scotia, in which would of taken maybe another month via a combined Navel and Land invasion, in that at the time the peninsula was the British's military strong point of Canada. cheesy

In regard to the Korean War, the objective was not to take control of the entire peninsula, but rather to simply prevent the communist from taking over the entire nation. This objective was achieved.
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by deb(m): 4:36am On Jan 21, 2013
Where GHANA?
They are not even on the list? shocked
Those guys sabi make noise sha? If I catch anyone of you run your mouth here again on NL against Nigeria, I will send only Zamfara State to destroy you! Mtscheeeew *hisses
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by JimmyBoy1: 7:17am On Jan 21, 2013
I dont know the source of the stats, but I am very certain that South Africa is Africa's Super power when it comes to millitary might, and they are indeed the only exporter of Arms and Amunnitaion in Africa.
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by Nobody: 7:26am On Jan 21, 2013
@Blyss, apparently we have different definitions of what amounts to a victory. A victory, in my book, is a succession of decisive military victories which involve routing an enemy and taking casualties.

Military objectives don't stay static in the course of a war, they change as determined by circumstances.

With the way you described both wars, I would call the War of 1812 the military equivalent of a 1-1 draw, while the Korean War could be seen as a goalless one. My view though.
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by andrewza: 8:32am On Jan 21, 2013
HNosegbe: @Blyss, apparently we have different definitions of what amounts to a victory. A victory, in my book, is a succession of decisive military victories which involve routing an enemy and taking casualties.

Military objectives don't stay static in the course of a war, they change as determined by circumstances.

With the way you described both wars, I would call the War of 1812 the military equivalent of a 1-1 draw, while the Korean War could be seen as a goalless one. My view though.

Your may have your view but it is wrong.
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by lookmangiw(m): 8:49am On Jan 21, 2013
Rolling.:

That is the whole essence of this thread;to educate ourselves. wink

Check the world ranking list and you will be surprise that Pakistan ranks ahead of Israel and israel just a point ahead of Egypt.

1 United States of America PwrIndx: 0.2461
2 Russia PwrIndx: 0.2601
3 China PwrIndx: 0.3644
4 India PwrIndx: 0.4346
5 United Kingdom PwrIndx: 0.5174
6 France PwrIndx: 0.6151
7 Germany PwrIndx: 0.6471
8 South Korea PwrIndx: 0.6528
9 Italy PwrIndx: 0.6794
10 Brazil PwrIndx: 0.6866
11 Turkey PwrIndx: 0.7016
12 Pakistan PwrIndx: 0.7276
13 Israel PwrIndx: 0.7539[b]
14 Egypt PwrIndx: 0.7543[/b]
15 Indonesia PwrIndx: 0.7591
16 Iran PwrIndx: 0.7773
17 Japan PwrIndx: 0.7856
18 Taiwan PwrIndx: 0.8588
19 Canada PwrIndx: 0.8638
20 Thailand PwrIndx: 0.8919
21 Mexico PwrIndx: 0.9092
22 Ukraine PwrIndx: 0.9126
23 Australia PwrIndx: 0.9361
24 Poland PwrIndx: 0.9511
25 Sweden PwrIndx: 1.0981
26 Saudi Arabia PwrIndx: 1.1003
27 Vietnam PwrIndx: 1.1216
28 North Korea PwrIndx: 1.1723[b]
29 Ethiopia PwrIndx: 1.1725[/b]
30 Spain PwrIndx: 1.1792
31 Philippines PwrIndx: 1.1838
32 Switzerland PwrIndx: 1.2266
33 Malaysia PwrIndx: 1.2465[b]
34 South Africa PwrIndx: 1.2582[/b]
35 Argentina PwrIndx: 1.2971[b]
36 Nigeria PwrIndx: 1.3412[/b]
37 Austria PwrIndx: 1.3722
38 Algeria PwrIndx: 1.4065
39 Syria PwrIndx: 1.4643
40 Venezuela PwrIndx: 1.4842
41 Colombia PwrIndx: 1.4981
42 Norway PwrIndx: 1.5147
43 Yemen PwrIndx: 1.5853
44 Denmark PwrIndx: 1.6107
45 Finland PwrIndx: 1.6131
46 Kenya PwrIndx: 1.6228
47 Singapore PwrIndx: 1.6333
48 Afghanistan PwrIndx: 1.6403
49 Greece PwrIndx: 1.6493
50 Romania PwrIndx: 1.6544
51 Serbia PwrIndx: 1.6847
52 Chile PwrIndx: 1.7081
53 Belgium PwrIndx: 1.7249
54 Croatia PwrIndx: 1.7413
55 Portugal PwrIndx: 1.7618
56 Jordan PwrIndx: 1.7716
57 Iraq PwrIndx: 1.8043
58 United Arab Emirates PwrIndx: 1.8099
59 Libya PwrIndx: 1.8361
60 Georgia PwrIndx: 1.8521
61 Mongolia PwrIndx: 2.0348
62 Kuwait PwrIndx: 2.1208
63 Paraguay PwrIndx: 2.1238
64 Nepal PwrIndx: 2.1578
65 Qatar PwrIndx: 2.4808
66 Lebanon PwrIndx: 2.5037
67 Uruguay PwrIndx: 2.5441
68 Panama PwrIndx: 3.0468

http://www.globalfirepower.com/countries-listing.asp

this ranking looks flawed to me. How can usa come on top of russia. Russia owns the largest nuclear stockpile in the whole world. That is enough to put her on the top
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by andrewza: 9:21am On Jan 21, 2013
lookmangiw: this ranking looks flawed to me. How can usa come on top of russia. Russia owns the largest nuclear stockpile in the whole world. That is enough to put her on the top

Nukes are not used in these rankings since they sucidal to use.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by jpphilips(m): 1:35pm On Jan 21, 2013
phantom: so SA no be number 1 after all the noise made on the other thread?

Nobody said SA is number one, just that Nigerians have been living with the fantasy that they have the best ground forces in the world, lol

100,000 men divided amongst the arm forces, with 6,000 transport vehicles and 1,407 APC's to fight with, gimme a break!!
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by jpphilips(m): 1:43pm On Jan 21, 2013
Otenestbestyaho: So as of 2010,oil consumption was 52,000 bpd? I doubt that rating,when it comes 2 ground combat,no nation can dear 9ja,pls update ur status and post again

continue deceiving yourself, reality is still what it is
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by Yewe2011(m): 1:51pm On Jan 21, 2013
aribisala0:

I do not know where you get "BEST" from. Does the size of a military have anything to do with its quality in terms of skill or technology.

I believe you do not understand the information you are posting at all.
To say Nigeria's military ranks 4th in Africa is a very misleading statement. At one time Sadaam Hussein had one of the largest armies on the Planet. See how quickly America dismantled them.

exactly!

this power ranking although informative it is only statistical and might not reflect what happens on the battlefield if any two nations go head to head.

Saddam's Iraqi army was #4 in the world right before the 91 invasion of Kuwait
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by Yewe2011(m): 1:52pm On Jan 21, 2013
lain: americans are not afraid of isreal because of their military might but .. America would destroy isreal in a minute .. What the americans are afraid of is what the jewish controlled americans would do inside america... All terrorist attacks carried out in the united states has an isreali hand involved.. Isreal can only destroy america using americans

America and Israel are not afraid of each other. Their relationship is mutually-beneficial.
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by jpphilips(m): 1:54pm On Jan 21, 2013
eDon_tey: ThIs list is only correct with respect to what all these countries choose to declare....north korea, israel, iran etc have no reason to be in that position. Some of these countries manufacture weapon day in day out by theirselves so that no other country can easily know their military prowess

small pikin talk, sometimes you take a break from beer parlous, Israel was using a $100,000 iron dome missile defence against Hamas $1,000 missiles, all Hamas did was to throw in 5,000 missiles, Voila!! the cost of war alone brings isreal to its knees.

you guys love conjectures more than facts, continue dreaming
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by jpphilips(m): 2:06pm On Jan 21, 2013
Humblesam:
For ur dream abi? Well, too much of american war films dey worry you. Were naija army dey use leg enter,american army dey use machine,i swear. Go ask UN peace keepers in countries wer naija soldiers bn deployed,then u go knw say American dey doff thier hats 4 our soldier. If u can give naija army machines needed in this era,then no one wld dare our army....they are good,just the administration that is killing us here.So pls stop underating and belittling our Army. Am proud of them.

shut up and sleep you are not arguing with your wife and kids, say the places, and the Nigerian soldiers unit who entered wherever Americans cant, that's why most Nigerians are very stup!d, you have the facts before you and ur still whining.
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by jpphilips(m): 2:06pm On Jan 21, 2013
eDon_tey: ThIs list is only correct with respect to what all these countries choose to declare....north korea, israel, iran etc have no reason to be in that position. Some of these countries manufacture weapon day in day out by theirselves so that no other country can easily know their military prowess

small pikin talk, sometimes you take a break from beer parlous, Israel was using a $100,000 iron dome missile defence against Hamas $1,000 missiles, all Hamas did was to throw in 5,000 missiles, Voila!! the cost of war alone brings isreal to its knees.

you guys love conjectures more than facts, continue dreaming
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by jpphilips(m): 2:47pm On Jan 21, 2013
vislabraye:

Quality of manpower would have to do with the skills or competence of the military personels.
For instance, US is the most equipped but Israel has the best infantries in the world as well as intelligence.
Also Nigeria has the best army in Africa, but was surprise to see Ethiopia ahead of us. Nigeria's military does not have the best equipment. But when it comes to ground combat, only few countries in the world compare to us.

lool, ignorance is not an excuse
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by Sagamite(m): 2:49pm On Jan 21, 2013
These are the typical fucktards that make up the Nigerian army:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/01/army-to-court-martial-11-officers-over-murder-others/
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by Silentical: 3:25pm On Jan 21, 2013
What of Nigeria Police force?
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by Chongaiman: 3:27pm On Jan 21, 2013
Sagamite: These are the typical fucktards that make up the Nigerian army:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/01/army-to-court-martial-11-officers-over-murder-others/
There! I said it. undecided The prince of fucktardry and e-bravado must be feeling pleased with himself.
I know you come from a tribe generally associated with cowardice especially in combat so, denigrating the army must be your opiate to salve your highly sensitive ego. Please spare us your BS - with your manifested utter lack of manners and decorum, you would do mankind a great service by keeping mum.
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by Sagamite(m): 3:35pm On Jan 21, 2013
Chongaiman:
There! I said it. undecided The prince of fucktardry and e-bravado must be feeling pleased with himself.
I know you come from a tribe generally associated with cowardice especially in combat so, denigrating the army must be your opiate to salve your highly sensitive ego. Please spare us your BS - with your manifested utter lack of manners and decorum, you would do mankind a great service by keeping mum.

You are a person!

I take it you are one of the illiterate, low-life animals we give guns to and call "military".

Cretin, which tribe is associated with cowardice? And which tribe is brave?

Cretinous product of a failed education system with their typical moronic assertions pulled from their arsse. grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by Chongaiman: 4:00pm On Jan 21, 2013
^^^
So predictably characteristic. grin
Whoever raised you did a great job.
On second thoughts, I hope your obsession with fork did not emanate from a dark past. wink
Re: Nigeria Military Ranks 4th In Africa And 36th In The World by lokopet: 4:03pm On Jan 21, 2013
OP........Naija ahead of KILLER SYRIA, with all their Nuclear weapon. I disagree. pls chk and repost.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

I Didn’t Sell House To Kiki Osinbajo – Landlord, Dr. Ayuba Musa / Disquiet In PDP As Jonathan Loses Senatorial District To Sylva, APC / Tafa Balogun Arrived Court In Handcuffs (Throwback Pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.