Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,067 members, 7,956,981 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 01:14 AM

Tithes And Offerings - Religion (119) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithes And Offerings (149112 Views)

"Stop Giving Offerings In Redeemed Churches If....." - Pastor Adeboye / Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles / Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) ... (141) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Image123(m): 4:18pm On Jul 28, 2014
Goshen360:

You know who I'm talking about - Your Daddy G.O When Adeboye made that statement, what did you come up with? He's wrong?

i don't get it. What makes anyone my daddy g.o? What makes my daddy g.o my favorite man of God?
When did Adeboye make a statement? What did you come up with when or if he made a statement? Are you omniscient?
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Goshen360(m): 4:28pm On Jul 28, 2014
Image123:

i don't get it. What makes anyone my daddy g.o? What makes my daddy g.o my favorite man of God?
When did Adeboye make a statement? What did you come up with when or if he made a statement? Are you omniscient?

Keep playing games and jumping around. Everyone knows who you are. Keep asking me when Adeboye made such statement and when this, when that. You are known to defend Adeboye with all kinds of twisting and gimmicks.

3 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings by nora544: 4:34pm On Jul 28, 2014
I just see that Daddy go was in Uk at a wedding!!!!!!

The son of a so called great man of god and one for the richest pastors from nigeria had his wedding in Uk, I could remember that he told his followers he need his jet to to spead the gospel!!!!!!!!!!!! Here you see it again how nigerian pastors can lie!!!!!!!!! because this has nothing to do with the gospel that is his privat plesure!!!!!!!!!
Re: Tithes And Offerings by DrummaBoy(m): 4:47pm On Jul 28, 2014
Image123:

DrummaBoy:

Pastor E A Adeboye made a similar statement but not with the exact words as written by nora544.

Adeboye's exact words:

“We need N1 billion from ten people. If you are
one of them, please see my personal Secretary
after we finish today,” Mr. Adeboye told the
congregation.

“We also need N100 million from those who can
afford it, if you are in that category. Please see
my personal Secretary as well.

“Nonetheless, we need everyone’s involvement. If
you can afford N50 million, N20 million, N5
million, N1 million to as low as N100, kindly make
sure you participate.”

See this link www.dailypost.ng/2013/08/14/three-kilometer-auditorium-angry-nigerians-blast-adeboye-say-n1billion-per-person-donation-is-criminal/

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Image123(m): 4:55pm On Jul 28, 2014
Goshen360:

Keep playing games and jumping around. Everyone knows who you are. Keep asking me when Adeboye made such statement and when this, when that. You are known to defend Adeboye with all kinds of twisting and gimmicks.

Can you answer the questions or you have no answers that don't further implicate you? At least, they are not recycled questions like the majority of questions here. Kindly answer, i'm not playing games. You're the one dishing out accusations which seem false.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by PastorKun(m): 5:40pm On Jul 28, 2014
Image123:

Rather the love of money has caused many problems.

Yes including inspiring the fraudulent tithe doctrine.

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings by DrummaBoy(m): 6:47pm On Jul 28, 2014
Image123:

Can you answer the questions or you have no answers that don't further implicate you? At least, they are not recycled questions like the majority of questions here. Kindly answer, i'm not playing games. You're the one dishing out accusations which seem false.

The train of discussion that led to Adeboye's statement and Image123 questions:

FortresOfChrist: Tithe has caused many problems in christianity including my family until we discovered the truth and now we are free.
Image123:

nora544:

And who brought the money issue into the church, the pastors from the new churches!!!!!!!!! With their lifestile!!!!!!!!!!!

I only remember who can give me 10 Million naira he will see me
who will give 1 million naira will see my seretary
who will give me 100 000 naira will see........

that is the beginning of the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goshen360:

We know who made those statement but Image123 so respect the "anointed man of God" that he can't even tell the truth the man is wrong. Holding the word of truth in hypocrisy angry
Image123:

You fellows are very frequent accusers. Beware, accusation is two ways, you MAY BE wrong or right. False witness or false accusation is still a sin in the new testament period.
i don't know what you're talking about BTW.
Goshen360:

What I'm saying is, speak the truth even when your "favourite" man of God make unhealthy statements. Don't be partial, half truth is as good as speaking lies.
Image123:

Show how i am partial please. And who is my favorite man of God.
Goshen360:

You know who I'm talking about - Your Daddy G.O When Adeboye made that statement, what did you come up with? He's wrong?
Image123:

Goshen360:

Image123:

DrummaBoy:

Pastor E A Adeboye made a similar statement but not with the exact words as written by nora544.

Adeboye's exact words:

“We need N1 billion from ten people. If you are
one of them, please see my personal Secretary
after we finish today,” Mr. Adeboye told the
congregation.

“We also need N100 million from those who can
afford it, if you are in that category. Please see
my personal Secretary as well.

“Nonetheless, we need everyone’s involvement. If
you can afford N50 million, N20 million, N5
million, N1 million to as low as N100, kindly make
sure you participate.”

See this link www.dailypost.ng/2013/08/14/three-kilometer-auditorium-angry-nigerians-blast-adeboye-say-n1billion-per-person-donation-is-criminal/
Image123:

My Deduction:

Please note the train of thoughts. The obvious reason for Image123 asking the questions is to reach the conclusion that no one knows the motive of Adeboye for raising 1 billion for a church auditorium. Since we are not omniscient we shouldn't question him or raise the issue.

But notice that Image123 is omniscient enough to question the motive of ForteofChrist (FoC)who testified of how God saved her family from tithes. Image knows her heart enough to blame it on the love of money. Or should we conclude that Image should not judge FoC motive for saying what she said?

As to the questions Image is bandying around. Here they are:

What makes anyone my daddy g.o?

The very fact that you are very ready to defend him, even if it means twisting arguments to your own confusion.

What makes my daddy g.o my favorite man of God?

Same reason above. Though I question he is the favorite. There is Oyedepo too. These are the men who we should blame for making threads like this this long. They are the ones who teach compulsory tithing. "Tithe or burn". "Tithe or things will be tithe for you".

When did Adeboye make a statement?

Check the link I provided.

What did you come up with when or if he made a statement?

The very things we are discussing here: love of money and tithes.

Are you omniscient?

Were you omniscient to think ForteofChrist loved money?

And what's the big deal about your question?

Don't bother answering seeing you can ask questions but have great difficulty answering people questions.

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Image123(m): 11:10pm On Jul 28, 2014
Good to see that you are actually working on that laziness. It gives hope that there are changes whether consciously or unconsciously. However, that your 'train' is broken and declared unsafe oh. i will show why/how.

FortresOfChrist: Tithe has caused many problems in christianity including my family until we discovered the truth and now we are free.

This fellow says Tithe has caused many problems in christianity. That is wrong. Some people pay and teach tithes without any problems or issues all through their lives. There are greater problems and rooted issues in christianity. There are churches where tithing is practiced and has been practiced that are not affluent. There are millions who are tithers and have never heard the antitithe arguments and they are living relatively contented and fulfilled lives. Some orthodox churches and christians preach and believe in tithing for centuries without friction. The recent internet noise about antitithe is what has caused more problems for the few that have being influenced by it.
Anyways, i simply stated a rooted truth about what has caused many problems, not just in christianity but all over the world.

Image123:
i didn't think about or refer to that fellow's personal or family problems. i basically stated a Biblical position, that the love of money is the root of evil(paraphrased). You also seemed to agree to the position that tithe is not the real issue sometime last week ithink, though you soon contradicted yourself some days later.

nora544:
And who brought the money issue into the church, the pastors from the new churches!!!!!!!!! With their lifestile!!!!!!!!!!!
I only remember who can give me 10 Million naira he will see me
who will give 1 million naira will see my seretary
who will give me 100 000 naira will see........
that is the beginning of the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nora and some others responded to my statement about the love of money. i responded to Candour's to clarify what needed to be clear. nora's post has no bearing but since Gosh picked on it, it joins our 'train of thought'. Nora says pastors in new churches brought money issue into the church. That's wrong and ignorant. Money is an integral part of life and the early christians talked about money and spent money. Poverty or abstaining from money is not spirituality. Even Jesus used money, so saying new pastors brought money simply makes no sense. Like saying our president brought facebook to Nigeria, lol.
She also said that she remembers the part i coloured green. i'm sorry i do not remember it. Only Goshen seems to remember with her though they are yet to tell us who said it and where or when. You, drumb wrote that Pastor Adeboye said something similar.

Image123:
Stop overreacting. i didn't attack the fellow personally, but made a general statement. The love of money has caused many problems. This is a plain scriptural truth that you don't have to twist sentimentally.
There is where i clarified with Candour.

Goshen360:
We know who made those statement but Image123 so respect the "anointed man of God" that he can't even tell the truth the man is wrong. Holding the word of truth in hypocrisy angry
Goshen is yet to tell us who made those statement. What you are saying that Pastor Adeboye said is different from that. But for assumption sake, supposing that Pastor Adeboye made the statement, well that Gosh and Nora knows don't mean i must know. i don't know when he made such statement if he ever did. However, Goshen in his omniscience claims that i respect the man of God and can't tell the truth, holding the word of truth in hypocrisy. That's high sounding mumbo jumbo. i was talking about love of money causing problem, Nora is remembering things that i have no idea of, i'm supposed to "tell the truth the man is wrong". Put yourself in my shoes if you can, he's saying rubbish basically.

Image123:
You fellows are very frequent accusers. Beware, accusation is two ways, you MAY BE wrong or right. False witness or false accusation is still a sin in the new testament period.
i don't know what you're talking about BTW.
Here i caution him(Gosh) to be careful lest he is falsely accusing me. Heck, come to think of it, he might even be falsely accusing Adeboye. There is no credible source provided as to corroborate whether Pastor Adeboye said that or not. i searched and i saw just two ONLINE news site that claim that. Common, i really do not believe everything news people say just because they say so, do you? Not to mention hungry ONLINE sites looking for visitors.

Goshen360:
What I'm saying is, speak the truth even when your "favourite" man of God make unhealthy statements. Don't be partial, half truth is as good as speaking lies.
Omniscient Gosh somehow concludes that Pastor Adeboye is my favorite man of God. How he manages to arrive at such conclusion might only boil down to omniscience. He seems to know what i do not know about me sef. He talks some stuff about half truth. i hope he can show me what part of what i have said is truth(half truth in this measurement). He also says that Pastor Adeboye has made unhealthy statements. Well, Pastor Adeboye is not here, i'd rather spend my time correcting people that i have access to and who will reply and discuss, than making silly comments on what other people said. i don't usually do gossip. Also, i initially didn't find Nora's post relevant as it didn't address what i said. She simply "remembered" who can give me 10 Million naira he will see me etc. That didn't ring any obvious bell for me, or inspire me to "speak the truth even when your "favourite" man of God make unhealthy statements".

Image123:
Show how i am partial please. And who is my favorite man of God.
i asked the obvious question.

Goshen360:
Here again, he assumes that i know what he is on about. He assumes Pastor Adeboye to be my daddy G.O and my favorite man of God. Well, he's not. When did Adeboye make his statement? Your post says it was last year. i did not know when he made it and i did not come up with anything. Even now that i'm being told when he ALLEGEDLY made it, it's hard to come up with anything. i hardly discuss people, i'd rather discuss personally with a person. If Pastor Adeboye is here and he says something, we can discuss on what he said. So here on NL, i'd rather correct directly. You'd hardly see me correcting someone who is not there. But since you both seem eager to know my opinion on if he's wrong IF HE ACTUALLY SAID THAT. Well, what he said has almost nothing to do with love of money(which was the focus of the TRAIN) except you guys now have a device that sees other's motives. He's simply raising funds for their church project. There are various methods of fundraising. Nothing wrong with him telling the bigger categories to see his personal secretary. That might be for accountability. If you are giving out billions or millions of naira, it is safe that the church knows who is giving so that they can at least question your source. i wouldn't want an anonymous Achan or philistine doing something huge for me, only for me to have problems later maybe with the police or even God. Now RCCG has millions of people as members, not everyone can see Adeboye's secretary personally or need to. Also, not many would give those categories mentioned. Some of these stuff is just common sense, and people who love and trust each other(as believers) do not need to make issues and mountains out of it.

Image123:
i asked Goshen this question but he developed cold feet. Drumb tried to come to his rescue. Well, i'd gladly leave it here. But i trust antitithers, many of them would come and take one phrase or group of sentences that they want to start some arguments about.

Goshen360:
Here's Goshen dodging my questions and frustratedly accusing me.

Image123:
End of drumb's train i guess.

DrummaBoy:

The train of discussion that led to Adeboye's statement and Image123 questions:

My Deduction:

Please note the train of thoughts. The obvious reason for Image123 asking the questions is to reach the conclusion that no one knows the motive of Adeboye for raising 1 billion for a church auditorium. Since we are not omniscient we shouldn't question him or raise the issue.
i asked the questions to know what Goshen was harping about. Stop stating your assumptions and suppositions as reality. i'm not interested in Adeboye raising one hundred naira. i simply stated a bible truth that the love of money has caused more problems around the world.

But notice that Image123 is omniscient enough to question the motive of ForteofChrist (FoC)who testified of how God saved her family from tithes. Image knows her heart enough to blame it on the love of money. Or should we conclude that Image should not judge FoC motive for saying what she said?
i've explained myself on this. You can read i'm sure.

As to the questions Image is bandying around. Here they are:

What makes anyone my daddy g.o?

The very fact that you are very ready to defend him, even if it means twisting arguments to your own confusion.
i'm ready to defend Olaa, i'm ready to defend Bidam, i'm ready to defend the defenseless, i'm ready to defend the truth.

What makes my daddy g.o my favorite man of God?

Same reason above. Though I question he is the favorite. There is Oyedepo too. These are the men who we should blame for making threads like this this long. They are the ones who teach compulsory tithing. "Tithe or burn". "Tithe or things will be tithe for you".
My daddy G.O(whatever that means) does not have to be my favorite man of God. i hope Gosh can come up with better answers to the questions which are directed at him. He's old enough, he can speak for himself.

When did Adeboye make a statement?

Check the link I provided.
The link is not credible enough as evidence, can you provide an audio or video link? Not to bother you, even if he made the statement, i've shared my thoughts on it.

What did you come up with when or if he made a statement?

The very things we are discussing here: love of money and tithes.
What did Goshen come up with when and if pastor Adeboye made this statement? Do i have to come up with something when everybody makes a statement? Why is Goshen asking me to come up with something?

Are you omniscient?

Were you omniscient to think ForteofChrist loved money?
You are being hyperactive.

And what's the big deal about your question?

Don't bother answering seeing you can ask questions but have great difficulty answering people questions.

It is just a question or group of questions, no big deal about it. i have no difficulty answering people's questions. In all honesty, you of all people should know that. Whether you like or agree with my answers is another thing or debate, but one thing a sincere person would not question on this forum is my not shying away from questions. AGAIN, ALL the questions asked have already being answered on this thread and on sister threads. i've done all sorts of rebutting, all sorts of explanations and answers, interviewed by Kunle, interviewed by Goshen, responded line upon line to countless others, and answered tough tough questions by the grace of God.
To show that all your questions have already been answered in the past, you and some others know the answers i would give to the so called questions. The truth remains unchanged. i also know your line of arguments and have no interest in circles. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings by nora544: 11:43pm On Jul 28, 2014
This fellow says Tithe has caused many problems in christianity. That is wrong. Some people pay and teach tithes without any problems or issues all through their lives. There are greater problems and rooted issues in christianity. There are churches where tithing is practiced and has been practiced that are not affluent. There are millions who are tithers and have never heard the antitithe arguments and they are living relatively contented and fulfilled lives. Some orthodox churches and christians preach and believe in tithing for centuries without friction. The recent internet noise about antitithe is what has caused more problems for the few that have being influenced by it.
Anyways, i simply stated a rooted truth about what has caused many problems, not just in christianity but all over the world.

Sorry that is not tru!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hear first about tithing from a friend from nigeria!!!!!!!!!!!!

In my country we didnot have tithing since 1790 that was the austrian-hungary empire!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wehave a churchtax what is 1,1% from my salery of one year when my income is more than 1000 euro per month and we didnot have tithing in the church. We have offering for churchprojekts

In Greece they didnot know about tithing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A church tax is a tax imposed on members of some religious congregations in Austria, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Iceland, Italy, Sweden, some parts of Switzerland and several other countries.

Contents

1 Austria
2 Croatia
3 Denmark
4 Finland
5 Germany
6 Iceland
7 Italy
8 Sweden
9 Switzerland
10 See also
11 External links
12 References

Austria

Church tax is compulsory for Catholics in Austria, with a rate of 1.1%. This tax was introduced by Hitler in 1939. After World War II, the tax was retained in order to keep the Church independent of political powers.[1]
Croatia

The Roman Catholic Church in Croatia receives significant state financial support and other benefits established in concordats between the Government and the Vatican. By the special agreement between Holy See and Republic Croatia, Croatia is, through state budget, financing salaries and pensions of clergy (even the military chaplains), church sacral objects maintenance and restoration, building and running of church schools and universities, and aside to that still pay a financial tribute to the Vatican. It is also worth mentioning that as a Nonprofit organization the Catholic Church in Croatia is exempt from most taxes with having benefits to those few taxes it pays[citation needed].

Percentage-wise, about 0.004% of state budget ends up funding activities of Roman Catholic Church in Croatia.
Denmark
Main article: Church of Denmark

The members of national Church of Denmark pay a church tax, which varies between municipalities, but can be as large as 1.51%. The tax is generally in the vicinity of 1% of the taxable income. The tax doesn't cover the entire budget of the church. An additional 13% is paid by the government. This means even people who are not members of the church finance the church through taxes.[citation needed]
Finland

All members of either the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland and the Finnish Orthodox Church (the two state churches of Finland) pay an income-based church tax of between 1% and 2%, depending on the municipality. On average the tax is about 1.4%.

Formerly, to stop paying church tax, one had to formally leave the church by personally going to local register office and waiting during an allowance of time for reflection. This requirement was removed in 2003 and currently a written (but not signed) statement to the church suffices. The majority of resignations since 2005 are now handled through a web site, Eroakirkosta.fi. If one is a member of the church when the year begins, he/she will pay taxes for the whole year; however, these are later returned as a tax refund.

In addition to personal taxation, the state divides some of the money collected by taxing private companies to the two state churches. It does not matter if company is owned by church members or non-members. It has been argued that the churches use this money to upkeep cemeteries, to which they are obligated by law.
Germany
Receipt dated September 17, 1923

About 70% of church revenues come from church tax. This is about €9.2 billion (in 2010).

Article 137 of the Weimar Constitution of 1919 and article 140 of the German Basic Law of 1949 are the legal basis for this practice.

In Germany, on the basis of tax regulations passed by the communities and within the limits set by state laws, communities may either

require the taxation authorities of the state to collect the fees from the members on the basis of income tax assessment (then, the authorities withhold a collection fee), or
choose to collect the church tax themselves.

In the first case, membership in the community is entered onto a tax document (Lohnsteuerkarte) which employees must surrender to their employers for the purpose of withholding tax on paid income. If membership in a tax-collecting religious community is entered on the document, the employer must withhold church tax prepayments from the income of the employee in addition to other tax prepayments. In connection with the final annual income tax assessment, the state revenue authorities also finally assess the church tax owed. In the case of self-employed persons or of unemployed taxpayers, state revenue authorities collect prepayments on the church tax together with prepayments on the income tax.

If, however, religious communities choose to collect church tax themselves, they may demand that the tax authorities reveal taxation data of their members to calculate the contributions and prepayments owed. In particular, some smaller communities (e.g. the Jewish Community of Berlin) choose to collect taxes themselves to save collection fees the government would charge otherwise.

Collection of church tax may be used to cover any church-related expenses such as founding institutions and foundations or paying ministers.

The church tax is only paid by members of the respective church. People who are not members of a church tax-collecting denomination do not have to pay it. Members of a religious community under public law may formally declare their wish to leave the community to state (not religious) authorities. With such a declaration, the obligation to pay church taxes ends. Some communities refuse to administer marriages and burials of (former) members who had declared to leave it.

The money flow of state and churches is distinct at all levels of the procedures. The church tax is not meant to be a way for the state to directly support churches, but since expenses for church tax are fully deductible (as are voluntary expenses for the Church, for charity or a bundle of other privileged aims) in fact such support occurs on a somewhat large scale. The effort of collecting itself, done by the State, is entirely paid for by the Churches with a part of the tax income.

The church tax is historically rooted in the pre-Christian Germanic custom where the chief of the tribe was directly responsible for the maintenance of priests and religious cults. During the Christianization of Western Europe, this custom was adopted by the Christian churches (Arian and Catholic) in the concept of "Eigenkirchen" (churches owned by the landlord) which stood in strong contrast to the central church organization of the Roman Catholic Church. Despite the resulting medieval conflict between emperor and pope, the concept of church maintenance by the ruler remained the accepted custom in most Western European countries. In Reformation times, the local princes in Germany became officially heads of the church in Protestant areas and were legally responsible for the maintenance of churches. Not until the 19th century were the finances of churches and state regulated to a point where the churches became financially independent. At this point the church tax was introduced to replace the state benefits the churches had obtained previously.

Taxpayers, whether Roman Catholic, Protestant or members of other tax-collecting communities, pay between 8% (in Bavaria and Baden-Württemberg) and 9% (in the rest of the country) of their income tax to the church or other community to which they belong.[2]

For example, a single person earning 50,000 euros may pay an average income-tax of 20%, thus 10,000 euros. The church tax is then 8% (or 9%) of that 10,000 euros: 800 (or 900) euros.
Iceland

Taxpayers in Iceland are obligated to pay a congregation tax[3] (Icelandic sóknargjöld) to the recognized religious organization of their choice. Those who do not belong to any recognized religious organization pay the same amount to the State. The Church of Iceland receives governmental support beyond the congregation taxes paid by its members.
Italy
Main article: Eight per thousand

Taxpayers in Italy are obligated to pay the so-called eight per thousand tax. This tax amounts to 0.8% of the total income tax (IRPEF) and every taxpayer can choose on their tax form the recipient of the contribution.

Currently the choices are:

Italian State
Catholic Church
Waldensian Evangelical Church
Seventh-day Adventist Church
Assemblies of God in Italy
Union of the Jewish Communities in Italy
Lutheran Evangelical Church in Italy
Baptist Evangelical Christian Union of Italy
Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Italy
Apostolic Church in Italy (Pentecostalism)
Italian Buddhist Union
Italian Hindu Union

If the choice is not expressly declared in the tax form, the tax is distributed according to the percentages of the taxpayers who have declared their choice of beneficiary. While it was intended that the State should use its own share of the 0.8% tax for social or cultural purposes, it has in practice employed it for general purposes, including its military mission in Iraq in 2004[4][5] and the upgrading of prison infrastructure in 2011.[6]
Sweden

The members of Church of Sweden pay church fee, which varies between municipalities, but can be as much as 2%. Church and state are separated as of 2000, however the burial tax (begravningsavgift) is paid by everyone regardless of membership.

In a recent development, the Swedish government has agreed to continue collecting from individual taxpayers the annual payment that has always gone to the church. But now the fee will be an optional checkoff box on the tax return. The government will allocate the money collected to Catholic, Muslim, Jewish and other faiths as well as the Lutherans, with each taxpayer directing where his or her taxes should go.
Switzerland

There is no official state church in Switzerland. However, all the 26 cantons (states) financially support at least one of the three traditional denominations – Roman Catholic, Old Catholic (in Switzerland Christ Catholic), or Evangelical Reformed – with funds collected through taxation. Each canton has its own regulations regarding the relationship between church and state. In some cantons, the church tax (up to 2.3%) is voluntary but in others an individual who chooses not to contribute to church tax may formally have to leave the church. In some cantons private companies are unable to avoid payment of the church tax.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by nora544: 12:06am On Jul 29, 2014
The last sunday we had the offering for MIVA

MIVA is a Catholic lay Association. We exist to provide one vital element for the success of the Church's health and pastoral work in areas of great need - a means of transport.

When you want to give you give for every kilometer you drive without an accident 0,001 euro for this NOG organisation!!!!

and what we know in my country that we see what the church make with every euro they get from this offering can you say the same for nigerian churches!!!!!!!!!

The offering from last year was € 4.769.617,40 and they could buy 2.821 cars, boats, bikes.... and they send it in 56 different countries and also to nigeria The administration costs was 2,92% and they need 3,82% for the donation promotion

I only want to ask you if this is possible in nigeria!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Tithes And Offerings by nora544: 12:26am On Jul 29, 2014
Prosperity theology (sometimes referred to as the prosperity gospel, the health and wealth gospel, or the gospel of success)[

] is a Christian religious doctrine that financial blessing is the will of God for Christians, and that faith, positive speech, and donations to Christian ministries will always increase one's material wealth. Based on non-traditional interpretations of the Bible, often with emphasis on the Book of Malachi, the doctrine views the Bible as a contract between God and humans: if humans have faith in God, he will deliver his promises of security and prosperity. Confessing these promises to be true is perceived as an act of faith, which God will honor.

The doctrine emphasizes the importance of personal empowerment, proposing that it is God's will for his people to be happy. The atonement (reconciliation with God) is interpreted to include the alleviation of sickness and poverty, which are viewed as curses to be broken by faith. This is believed to be achieved through visualization and positive confession, and is often taught in mechanical and contractual terms.

It was during the Healing Revivals of the 1950s that prosperity theology first came to prominence in the United States, although commentators have linked the origins of its theology to the New Thought movement which began in the 1800s. The prosperity teaching later figured prominently in the Word of Faith movement and 1980s televangelism. In the 1990s and 2000s, it was adopted by influential leaders in the Charismatic Movement and promoted by Christian missionaries throughout the world, sometimes leading to the establishment of mega-churches. Prominent leaders in the development of prosperity theology include E. W. Kenyon, Oral Roberts, A. A. Allen, Robert Tilton, T. L. Osborn, Joel Osteen, Creflo Dollar, and Kenneth Hagin.

Churches in which the prosperity gospel is taught are often non-denominational and usually directed by a sole pastor or leader, although some have developed multi-church networks that bear similarities to denominations. Such churches typically set aside extended time to teach about giving and request donations from the congregation, encouraging positive speech and faith. Prosperity churches often teach about financial responsibility, though some journalists and academics have criticized their advice in this area as misleading.

Prosperity theology has been criticized as heresy by leaders in the Pentecostal and Charismatic movements, as well as other Christian denominations. These leaders maintain that it is irresponsible, promotes idolatry, and is contrary to scripture. Some critics have proposed that prosperity theology cultivates authoritarian organizations, with the leaders controlling the lives of the adherents. The doctrine has also become popular in South Korea; academics have attributed some of its success to its parallels with the traditional shamanistic culture. Prosperity theology has drawn followers from the American middle class and poor, and has been likened to the cargo cult phenomenon, traditional African religion, and black liberation theology.

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings by nora544: 12:28am On Jul 29, 2014
[quote]Theology
The parable of the talents (as depicted in a 1712 woodcut) is often cited in support of prosperity theology.

Prosperity theology teaches that Christians are entitled to well-being and, because physical and spiritual realities are seen as one inseparable reality, this is interpreted as physical health and economic prosperity. Teachers of the doctrine focus on personal empowerment, promoting a positive view of the spirit and body. They maintain that Christians have been given power over creation because they are made in the image of God and teach that positive confession allows Christians to exercise dominion over their souls and material objects around them. Leaders of the movement view the atonement as providing for the alleviation of sickness, poverty, and spiritual corruption; poverty and illness are cast as curses which can be broken by faith and righteous actions. There are, however, some prosperity churches which seek a more moderate or reformed paradigm of prosperity. Kirbyjon Caldwell, pastor of a Methodist mega-church, supports a theology of abundant life, teaching prosperity for the whole human being, which he sees as a path to combating poverty.

Wealth is interpreted in prosperity theology as a blessing from God, obtained through a spiritual law of positive confession, visualization, and donations. This process is often taught in almost mechanical terms; Kenneth Copeland, an American author and televangelist, argues that prosperity is governed by laws, while other teachers portray the process formulaically. Journalists David van Biema and Jeff Chu of Time have described Word of Faith pastor Creflo Dollar's teachings about prosperity as an inviolable contract between God and humanity.

The prosperity theology teaching of positive confession stems from its proponents' view of scripture. The Bible is seen as a faith contract between God and believers; God is understood to be faithful and just, so believers must fulfill their end of the contract to receive God's promises. This leads to a belief in positive confession, the doctrine that believers may claim whatever they desire from God, simply by speaking it. Prosperity theology teaches that the Bible has promised prosperity for believers, so positive confession means that believers are speaking in faith what God has already spoken about them. Positive confession is practiced to bring about what is already believed in; faith itself is a confession, and speaking it brings it into reality.

The teaching is often based on non-traditional interpretations of Bible verses, the Book of Malachi often being given special attention. While Malachi has generally been celebrated by Christians for its passages about the messiah, teachers of prosperity theology usually draw attention to its descriptions of physical wealth. Frequently quoted verses include:

Malachi 3:10: "Bring to the storehouse a full tenth of what you earn so there will be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the Lord All-Powerful. “I will open the windows of heaven for you and pour out all the blessings you need. (Malachi 3:10 NCV)" (New Century VersionNCV).
Matthew 25:14–30: the Parable of the talents
John 10:10: "I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly" (KJV).
Philippians 4:19: "My God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus" (KJV).
3 John 2: "Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth" (KJV).

Prosperity theology casts itself as the reclamation of true doctrine and thus part of a path to Christian dominion over secular society. It contends that God's promises of prosperity and victory to Israel in the Old Testament apply to New-Covenant Christians today, and that faith and holy actions release this prosperity. C. Peter Wagner, a leader of the New Apostolic Reformation, has argued that if Christians take dominion over aspects of society, the Earth will experience "peace and prosperity". Some Latin Americans who have embraced prosperity theology argue that Christianity has historically placed an unnecessary focus on suffering. They often view this as a Roman Catholic doctrine that should be discarded and replaced with an emphasis on prosperity. Prosperity theology advocates also argue that biblical promises of blessings awaiting the poor have been unnecessarily spiritualized, and should be understood literally.
Practices

Prosperity churches place a strong emphasis on the importance of giving. Services commonly include two sermons, one of which focuses on giving and prosperity, including Biblical references to tithing; a second sermon on another topic follows the offering. Prosperity church leaders often bestow a specific blessing on the money being donated, some have even been reported to instruct worshipers to hold their donations above their heads during the prayer.

Congregants in prosperity churches are encouraged to speak positive statements about aspects of their lives that they wish to see improved. These statements, known as positive confessions, are said to miraculously change aspects of people's lives if spoken with faith. Prosperity churches also encourage people to "live without limits" and cultivate optimism about their lives. T. D. Jakes, pastor of The Potter's House non-denominational mega-church, has argued in favor of prosperity, rejecting what he sees as the demonization of success. He views poverty as a barrier to living a Christian life, suggesting that it is easier to make a positive impact on society when one is affluent.

While prosperity churches have a reputation for manipulating and alienating the poor, many are involved in social programs. Underlying these programs is a theology of empowerment and human flourishing with the goal of releasing people from a "welfare" or "victim" mentality. Many prosperity churches hold seminars on financial responsibility. Kate Bowler, an academic who studies prosperity theology, has criticized such seminars, arguing that though they contain some sound advice the seminars often emphasize the purchase of expensive possessions. Hanna Rosin of The Atlantic argues that prosperity theology contributed to the housing bubble that caused the late-2000s financial crisis. She maintains that home ownership was heavily emphasized in prosperity churches, causing a reliance on divine financial intervention that led to unwise choices. /quote]
Re: Tithes And Offerings by nora544: 12:29am On Jul 29, 2014
History
Postwar Healing Revivals
Main article: Healing Revival

Leaders of the Pentecostal Movement in the early 20th century did not embrace prosperity theology.[22] A recognizable form of the doctrine began to take shape within the movement during the 1940s and 1950s, through the teachings of Pentecostal deliverance and healing evangelists. Combining prosperity teaching with revivalism and faith healing, these evangelists taught "the laws of faith ('ask and ye shall receive') and the laws of divine reciprocity ('give and it will be given back unto you')".[23]

One prominent early figure in prosperity theology was E. W. Kenyon, educated in the 1890s at Emerson College of Oratory, where he was exposed to the New Thought movement. Kenyon later became connected with well-known Pentecostal leaders and wrote about supernatural revelation and positive declarations. His writing influenced leaders of the nascent prosperity movement during the post-war American healing revival. Kenyon and later leaders in the prosperity movement have denied that he was influenced by the New Thought movement. Anthropologist Simon Coleman argues that there are "obvious parallels" between Kenyon's teachings and the New Thought movement.[24]

Oral Roberts began teaching prosperity theology in 1947.[12] He explained the laws of faith as a "blessing pact" in which God would return donations "seven fold",[25] promising that donors would receive back from unexpected sources the money they donated to him. Roberts offered to return any donation that did not lead to an equivalent unexpected payment.[12] In the 1970s, Roberts characterized his blessing pact teaching as the "seed faith" doctrine: donations were a form of "seed" which would grow in value and be returned to the donor.[25][26] Roberts began recruiting "partners", wealthy donors who received exclusive conference invitations and ministry access in exchange for support.[27]

In 1953, faith healer A. A. Allen published The Secret to Scriptural Financial Success and promoted merchandise such as "miracle tent shavings" and prayer cloths anointed with "miracle oil".[28] In the late 1950s, Allen increasingly focused on prosperity. He taught that faith could miraculously solve financial problems and claimed to have had a miraculous experience in which God supernaturally changed one-dollar bills into twenty-dollar bills to allow him to pay his debts.[29] Allen taught the "word of faith" or the power to speak something into being.[28]

In the 1960s, prosperity became a primary focus in healing revivals.[30] T. L. Osborn began emphasizing prosperity in the 1960s and became known for his often ostentatious displays of personal wealth.[31] During that decade, Roberts and William Branham criticized other prosperity ministries, arguing that their fund-raising tactics unfairly pressured attendees. These tactics were prompted in part by the expense of developing nationwide radio networks and campaign schedules.[30] At the same time, leaders of the Pentecostal Assemblies of God organization often criticized the focus on prosperity taken by independent healing evangelists.[32]
Televangelism
TBN World Headquarters in Costa Mesa, California

During the 1960s, prosperity gospel teachers embraced televangelism and came to dominate religious programming in the United States. Oral Roberts led the way, developing a syndicated weekly program that became the most watched religious show in the United States. By 1968, television had supplanted the tent meeting in his ministry.[33]

Reverend Ike, a pastor from New York City, began preaching about prosperity in the late 1960s. He soon had widely aired radio and television programs and became distinguished for his flashy style. His openness about love for material possessions and teachings about the "Science of the Mind" led many evangelists to distance themselves from him.[34]

In the 1980s, public attention in the United States was drawn to prosperity theology through the influence of prominent televangelists such as Jim Bakker. Bakker's influence waned, however, after he was implicated in a high-profile scandal.[6][C] In the aftermath, Trinity Broadcasting Network (TBN) emerged as the dominant force in prosperity televangelism, having brought Robert Tilton and Benny Hinn to prominence.[35]
Word of Faith
Re: Tithes And Offerings by nora544: 12:30am On Jul 29, 2014
Word of Faith
Main article: Word of Faith

Although nearly all of the healing evangelists of the 1940s and '50s taught that faith could bring financial rewards, a new prosperity-oriented teaching developed in the 1970s that differed from the one taught by Pentecostal evangelists of the 1950s. This "Positive Confession" or "Word of Faith" movement taught that a Christian with faith can speak into existence anything consistent with the will of God.[36]

Kenneth Hagin was credited with a key role in the expansion of prosperity theology. He founded the RHEMA Bible Training Center in 1974, and over the next 20 years, the school trained more than 10,000 students in his theology.[8][37] As is true of other prosperity movements, there is no theological governing body for the Word of Faith movement, and well-known ministries differ on some theological issues.[38] The teachings of Kenneth Hagin have been described by Candy Gunther Brown of Indiana University as the most "orthodox" form of Word of Faith prosperity teaching.[5]
Recent U.S. history

The Neo-Pentecostal movement has been characterized in part by an emphasis on prosperity theology,[39] which gained greater acceptance within charismatic Christianity during the late 1990s.[13] By 2006, three of the four largest congregations in the United States were teaching prosperity theology, and Joel Osteen has been credited with spreading it outside of the Pentecostal and Charismatic movement through his books, which have sold over 4 million copies.[6][D] Bruce Wilkinson's The Prayer of Jabez also sold millions of copies and invited readers to seek prosperity.[4]

By the 2000s, adherents of prosperity theology in the United States were most common in the Sun Belt.[11] In the late 2000s, proponents claimed that tens of millions of Christians had accepted prosperity theology.[11] A 2006 poll by Time reported that 17 percent of Christians in America said they identified with the movement.[6] There is no official governing body for the movement, though many ministries are unofficially linked.[8]

In 2007, U.S. Senator Chuck Grassley opened a probe into the finances of six televangelism ministries that promoted prosperity theology: Kenneth Copeland Ministries, Creflo Dollar Ministries, Benny Hinn Ministries, Bishop Eddie Long Ministries, Joyce Meyer Ministries, and Paula White Ministries. In January 2011, Grassley concluded his investigation stating that he believed self-regulation by religious organizations was preferable to government action.[40][E] Only the ministries led by Meyer and Hinn cooperated fully with Grassley's investigation.[40]
International growth

In the 2000s, churches teaching prosperity theology saw significant growth in the Third World.[41] According to Philip Jenkins of Pennsylvania State University, poor citizens of impoverished countries often find the doctrine appealing because of their economic powerlessness and the doctrine's emphasis on miracles.[42] One region seeing explosive growth is Western Africa, particularly Nigeria.[41] In the Philippines, the El Shaddai movement, part of the Catholic Charismatic Renewal, has spread prosperity theology outside Protestant Christianity.[43] One South Korean prosperity church, Yoido Full Gospel Church, gained attention in the 1990s by claiming to be the world's largest congregation.[4]
Reception
Socioeconomic analysis

Most churches in the prosperity movement are non-denominational and independent, though some groups have formed networks.[8] Prosperity churches typically reject Presbyterian polity (or governance) and the idea that a pastor should be accountable to elders; it is common for pastors of prosperity churches to be the highest organizational authority figure.[44] Critics, including Sarah Posner and Joe Conason, maintain that prosperity teachers cultivate authoritarian organizations. They argue that leaders attempt to control the lives of adherents by claiming divinely bestowed authority.[45] Jenkins contends that prosperity theology is used as a tool to justify the high salaries of pastors.[46]

In the United States, the movement has drawn many followers from the middle class[2] and is most popular in commuter towns and urban areas.[11] In Exporting the American Gospel: Global Christian Fundamentalism Steve Brouwer, Paul Gifford, and Susan Rose speculate that the movement was fueled by a prevailing disdain for social liberalism in the United States that began in the 1970s.[13][G] Rosin argues that prosperity theology emerged because of broader trends, particularly American economic optimism in the 1950s and 1990s. Tony Lin of the University of Virginia has also compared the teaching to manifest destiny,[11] the 19th-century belief that the United States was entitled to the West. Marvin Harris argues that the doctrine's focus on the material world is a symptom of the secularization of American religion. He sees it as an attempt to fulfill the American Dream by using supernatural power.[47]
Hillsong Church in Sydney

Prosperity theology has become popular among poor Americans, particularly those who seek personal and social advancement.[2] It has seen significant growth in black and Hispanic churches and is particularly popular among immigrants.[11] Apologists for the movement note its ethnic diversity and argue that it encompasses a variety of views.[6] Joel Robbins of the University of Tokyo notes that most anthropologists attribute the theology's appeal to the poor—especially in the Global South—to the fact that it promises security and helps explain capitalism. Simon Coleman developed a theory based on the doctrine's rhetoric and the feeling of belonging it gave parishioners. In a study of the Swedish Word of Life Church, he noted that members felt part of a complex gift-exchange system, giving to God and then awaiting a gift in return (either from God directly or through another church member).[48] Hillsong Church, the largest congregation in Australia, teaches a form of prosperity theology that emphasizes personal success. Marion Maddox has argued that this message has drawn a significant number of upwardly mobile Australians.[49]

In a 1998 interview in Christianity Today, Bong Rin Ro of the Asia Graduate School of Theology suggested that the growth in popularity of prosperity theology in South Korea reflects a strong "shamanistic influence". Bong pointed to parallels between the tradition of paying shamans for healing and the prosperity theology's contractual doctrine about giving and blessings. Asia's economic problems, he argued, encouraged the growth of the doctrine in South Korea, though he claims it ignores the poor and needy. During the interview, he stated that he saw the problem beginning to be reversed, citing calls for renewed faith and other practices.[50] Cho Yong-gi, pastor of Yoido Full Gospel Church in Seoul, has been criticized for shamanising Christianity. This criticism has focused on his healing and exorcism ministries and his promise of material blessings. Malaysian Christian writer Hwa Yung has defended Cho's healing and exorcism ministries, arguing that he successfully contextualized the gospel in a culture where shamanism was still prevalent. However, Hwa criticizes Cho's teaching of earthly blessings for not reflecting a trust in God's daily provision and for their heavy focus on earthly wealth.[51]
Comparisons with other movements

Historian Carter Lindberg of Boston University has drawn parallels between contemporary prosperity theology and the medieval indulgence trade.[52] Coleman notes that several pre-20th century Christian movements in the United States taught that a holy lifestyle was a path to prosperity and that God-ordained hard work would bring blessing.[22]

Coleman has speculated that modern-day prosperity theology borrows heavily from the New Thought movement, though he admits that the connection is sometimes unclear.[53] Jenkins notes that critics draw a parallel between prosperity theology and the cargo cult phenomenon.[4] While citing the popularity of prosperity theology in agrarian African communities, he argues that it can also bear similarities to traditional African religious rituals.[54] J. Matthew Wilson of Southern Methodist University compares the movement to Black liberation theology owing to its focus on uplifting oppressed groups, though he notes that it differs in its concentration on individual success rather than corporate political change.[55]
Criticism
Re: Tithes And Offerings by nora544: 12:32am On Jul 29, 2014
Criticism

Mainstream evangelicalism has consistently opposed prosperity theology as heresy and prosperity ministries have frequently come into conflict with other Christian groups, including those within the Pentecostal and Charismatic movements. Critics, such as Evangelical pastor Michael Catt, have argued that prosperity theology has little in common with traditional Christian theology. Prominent evangelical leaders, such as Rick Warren, Ben Witherington III, and Jerry Falwell, have harshly criticized the movement, sometimes denouncing it as heretical. Warren proposes that prosperity theology promotes the idolatry of money, and others argue that Jesus' teachings indicate a disdain for material wealth. In Mark: Jesus, Servant and Savior, R. Kent Hughes notes that some 1st-century rabbis portrayed material blessings as a sign of God's favor. He cites Jesus' statement in Mark 10:25 that "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God" (KJV) as evidence to oppose such thinking.

Other critics of the movement assail promises made by its leaders, arguing that the broad freedom from problems they promise is irresponsible. Church leaders are often criticized for abusing the faith of their parishioners by enriching themselves through large donations.[59] Prosperity theology has been opposed for not adequately explaining the poverty of the Apostles. For instance, some theologians believe that the life and writings of Paul the Apostle, who is believed to have experienced significant suffering during his ministry, are particularly in conflict with prosperity theology. ]

In their book Health, Wealth and Happiness, theologians David Jones and Russell Woodbridge characterize the doctrine as poor theology. They suggest that righteousness cannot be earned and that the Bible does not promise an easy life. They argue that it is inconsistent with the gospel of Jesus and propose that the central message of the gospel should be Jesus' life, death, and resurrection. Jones and Woodbridge see Jesus' importance as vital, criticizing the prosperity gospel for marginalizing him in favor of a focus on human need. In another article, Jones criticizes the prosperity theology interpretation of the Abrahamic covenant, God's promise to bless Abraham's descendants, arguing that this blessing is spiritual and should already apply to all Christians. He also argues that the proponents of the doctrine misconstrue the atonement, criticizing their teaching that Jesus' death took away poverty as well as sin. He believes that this teaching is drawn from a misunderstanding of Jesus' life and criticizes John Avanzini's teaching that Jesus was wealthy as a misrepresentation, noting that Paul often taught Christians to give up their material possessions. Although he accepts giving as "praiseworthy", ] he questions the motives of prosperity theology and criticizes the "Law of Compensation", which teaches that when Christians give generously, God will give back more in return. Rather, Jones cites Jesus' teaching to "give, hoping for nothing in return." ] Jones and Woodbridge also note that Jesus instructed followers to focus on spiritual rewards, citing his command in Matthew 6:19–20 "Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth ... But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven" (KJV). Jones criticizes the doctrine's view of faith: he does not believe that it should be used as a spiritual force for material gain but seen as selfless acceptance of God.

In 1980, the General Council of the Assemblies of God criticized the doctrine of positive confession, noting examples of negative confessions in the Bible (where Biblical figures express fears and doubts) that had positive results and contrasting these examples with the focus on positive confessions taught by prosperity theology. The Council argues that the biblical Greek word often translated as "confess" literally translates as "to speak the same thing", and refers to both positive and negative confessions. The statement also criticizes the doctrine for failing to recognize the will of God: God's will should have precedence over the will of man, including their desires for wealth, and Christians should "recognize the sovereignty of God". The statement further criticizes prosperity theology for overlooking the importance of prayer, arguing that prayer should be used for all requests, not simply positive confession. The Council noted that Christians should expect suffering in this life. They urge readers to apply practical tests to positive confession, arguing that the doctrine appeals to those who are already in affluent societies but that many Christians in other societies are impoverished or imprisoned. Finally, the paper criticizes the distinction made by advocates of prosperity theology in the two Greek words that mean "speaking", arguing that the distinction is false and that they are used interchangeably in the Greek text. The Council accused prosperity theology of taking passages out of context to fulfill its own needs, with the result that doctrine of positive confession is contradictory to the holistic message of the Bible.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by MarkMiwerds(m): 3:04am On Jul 29, 2014
For those who continue to insist on branding me as being against tithing, I make the following statement...

If a Gentile Christian insists that tithing is required, I believe it should be done according to the way that God ordained it to be done.

If a Gentile wants to tithe, he should move to Israel Deuteronomy 12:8 where God's Word said tithing is to be done Deuteronomy 12:1-18 He should purchase land in Israel on which he can farm or raise livestock and tithe from the increase of such. Leviticus 27:30-33 He should take the firstfruits annually from his crops and livestock annually to the Temple in Jerusalem Nehemiah 10:37-38 (good luck finding that) and his tithes annually to one of 48 Levitic cities scattered throughout Israel Numbers 35:1-8 to give to the Levites living in those cities. Numbers 18:21-28; Nehemiah 10:37-38

The Gentile living in Israel should also take a second tithe annually to Jerusalem to the Feast of Weeks and eat that tithe with his family and with the Levites Deuteronomy 14:22-27 And every three years, the Gentile living in Israel should keep the tithe on his own property to feed the widows, orphans and foreigners of his community there in Israel with the tithe for that year Deuteronomy 14:28-29

The Gentile living in Israel will get a full one year reprieve from tithing his crops every seven years as he will not be able to harvest, nor sow his fields. Leviticus 25:4

If the Gentile is willing to do it God's way, Deuteronomy 12:8 I have no problem with it. LOL

Exodus 12:49 One law shall be to him that is homeborn, and unto the stranger that sojourneth among you.

The Gentile that chooses to tithe according to God's Word should not teach Gentiles living in other nations that they are required to tithe Psalm 147:19-20; Acts 15:10,23-29

3 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Image123(m): 8:37am On Jul 29, 2014
nora544: The last sunday we had the offering for MIVA

MIVA is a Catholic lay Association. We exist to provide one vital element for the success of the Church's health and pastoral work in areas of great need - a means of transport.

When you want to give you give for every kilometer you drive without an accident 0,001 euro for this NOG organisation!!!!

and what we know in my country that we see what the church make with every euro they get from this offering can you say the same for nigerian churches!!!!!!!!!

The offering from last year was € 4.769.617,40 and they could buy 2.821 cars, boats, bikes.... and they send it in 56 different countries and also to nigeria The administration costs was 2,92% and they need 3,82% for the donation promotion

I only want to ask you if this is possible in nigeria!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nigeria is not as organised as that, i think. However there are different types of offerings just as what you described above.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by nora544: 8:48am On Jul 29, 2014
Image123:

Nigeria is not as organised as that, i think. However there are different types of offerings just as what you described above.

It is only one offering but we know what the church make with the offering.

Our pastors and priest didnot have this big cars like this so called great man of God.
Or pastors didnot jet to Uk in a private jet for a wedding!!!!!!!
Nigerian Pastors like therir own life more and are a disgrace for a real christian because they love the luxury lifestile of a popstar and that belong to all af this pentecostal Pastors!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the University of the RCCG church got money from the worldbank and still the University is to expensive for normal nigerians!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Tithes And Offerings by DrummaBoy(m): 8:52am On Jul 29, 2014
I think the post by Nora is very instructive. I hope its lengthy nature does not discourage readers and deny them the understanding they ought to have.

The very fact that a teaching can be branded "Prosperity Gospel" is enough evidence that we have another gospel running around in our churches with increasing popularity.

The tithes is only a fraction of what is wrong with this gospel. It is hoped that those who have ears to hear will listen to what the Spirit is saying to the churches.

For any one who is interested in a thorough expose or further study into what Nora has posted, please join BabaGnoni, trustman and me on this thread on Word of Faith:

www.nairaland.com/1790500/word-faith-movements-doctrine-proponents
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Nobody: 8:53am On Jul 29, 2014
Image123:

What !!!!

You mean your church and churches in General do not carry out simple accounting and statistical tasks and procedures to know what happened or happens to the money they take from their members every Sunday, Monday, Wednesday , Friday and on special days

Sorry this is not about Nigerian not being organised, in fact it is a lame excuse. This is just evidence that the money is used and spent at the whims of the pastor and his henchmen either for expanding his empire or for his personal use. Of course a few crumbs will go to some poor ones in the congregation.

Smh

4 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Image123(m): 9:05am On Jul 29, 2014
nora544:

It is only one offering but we know what the church make with the offering.

Our pastors and priest didnot have this big cars like this so called great man of God.
Or pastors didnot jet to Uk in a private jet for a wedding!!!!!!!
Nigerian Pastors like therir own life more and are a disgrace for a real christian because they love the luxury lifestile of a popstar and that belong to all af this pentecostal Pastors!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the University of the RCCG church got money from the worldbank and still the University is to expensive for normal nigerians!!!!!!!!!!

i don't want to or care to discuss rccg's issues with you. However, one thing i'm sure of is that it is still people like you that would question the audacity and biblical basis of Pastor Adeboye asking his members to give any amount based on kilometers they transported themselves without accident. You would still condemn why and how rccg can generate a 5million Euros offering at one take. You would condemn redeem pastors for using 30million naira for administration costs, you would scream for ages at Pastor Adeboye using 39million for donation promotions. You won't see the 'lovely' things you're praising here. Well, it's your church not Adeboye's so therefore you're all clean.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by nora544: 9:36am On Jul 29, 2014
Image123:

i don't want to or care to discuss rccg's issues with you. However, one thing i'm sure of is that it is still people like you that would question the audacity and biblical basis of Pastor Adeboye asking his members to give any amount based on kilometers they transported themselves without accident. You would still condemn why and how rccg can generate a 5million Euros offering at one take. You would condemn redeem pastors for using 30million naira for administration costs, you would scream for ages at Pastor Adeboye using 39million for donation promotions. You won't see the 'lovely' things you're praising here. Well, it's your church not Adeboye's so therefore you're all clean.

What I post is the money from all the people in my country and we are about 8 million!!!!!!!!!! from this offering!!!!!!!!!! and that is only one offering, the church has to show all the offerings like i post it!!!!!!!!!!!

We didnot need to make this offering that we help that people in poor countries can help and that they have a car that they can reach people in poor districts!!!!!!!!!!

HEALTH & HIV

All around the world, the Catholic Church is one of the biggest health providers. In Nigeria, the Catholic Church has 1384 Health facilities mostly spread across underserved and hard-to-reach communities in the 36 states of Nigeria, providing varying levels of healthcare delivery services and humanitarian assistance to the poor, vulnerable and excluded persons regardless of race or religion.

Sustainable HIV/AIDS care and Treatment Action In Nigeria (SUSTAIN) Program

Caritas Nigeria is currently implementing the five years comprehensive HIV care, prevention and treatment grant titled Sustainable HIV Care and Treatment Action in Nigeria (SUSTAIN) funded by the United States Government through the Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Caritas Nigeria is one of the five CDC Nigeria’s Lead Implementing Partners with the mandate to coordinate HIV care and treatment interventions in faith based health facilities. The goal of the program is “Morbidity and mortality due to HIV infection is reduced in Nigeria.”

The SUSTAIN Project works through faith based health facilities to target people living and affected by HIV and AIDS in underserved and hard to reach communities in 12 states in Nigeria. The goal of the project is to saturate all faith based health facilities with required HIV care and treatment services in communities where there are needs. SUSTAIN provides value-based prevention education, treatment, care and support to people living with or affected by HIV in Nigeria. In line with the national plan to eliminate Mother to Child Transmission (eMTCT), SUSTAIN has a strong focus on preventing new infections in women of childbearing age, creating demand for uptake of antenatal care, and providing access to prevention of mother to child transmission (PMTCT) services for pregnant mothers.

The SUSTAIN Project presently supports about 100,000 people living and affected with HIV and AIDS with necessary services across 120 sites comprising of comprehensive care and treatment healthcare facilities, stand-alone PMTCT facilities and community based organizations. Caritas Nigeria currently works in 12 states of Nigeria, namely; Benue, Delta, Ekiti, Kaduna, Kogi, Nassarawa, Oyo, Ondo, Ogun, Osun, Plateau States and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).

Caritas Nigeria’s priority on the SUSTAIN Project is in line with the priority of the Government of Nigeria and CDC Nigeria to scale up HIV and AIDS prevention, care and treatment services in Nigeria. Caritas Nigeria’s focus is to strengthen the health systems in faith based healthcare facilities and the capacity of coordinating faith based health departments and organizations to support the national agenda while we continue to expand services to underserved communities and improve the quality of services. It advocates with governments, international organizations and drug companies for universal access to cost-effective and suitable medicines.

Caritas Nigeria is focused on improving the quality of services across all service delivery points by providing regular technical assistance, onsite and offsite training and mentoring, strengthen our strategic information program and promoting operational research activities.

The followings are some notable accomplishments of Caritas Nigeria’s work on the SUSTAIN program:
HIV Care, Treatment and Prevention

 77,083 adults and children provided with care

 46,656 adults and children with HIV infection are receiving antiretroviral therapy (current).

 110,180 pregnant women were tested for HIV.

 7,190 HIV positive pregnant women received ARVs to prevent transmission of HIV to their children.

 406,091 individuals received counselling and testing services for HIV.

 7,892 Orphans and Vulnerable Children received support services.

 4,817 individuals (in-school and out-of-school youths) reached with HIV prevention interventions

I never see something like that from one of the new churches never!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didnot have a church, I am a churchmember and I have friends good friends who belong to different churches!!!!!!!and one is a Bishop from the old catholics in my country and he was born in Nigeria, was a priest in Nigeria, was a teacher in Nigeria in Ibadan, he study in my country, went back in his country and he come back to make his PHD. a girlfriend is a pastor in a lutheran church, a good friend make at the moment his PHD in religion and his PHD thesis is about the new churches and the influence in the society in the world!!!!!!!and I have friends in nigeria who have parents who are pastors!!!!!!!!!
I know from what I write when I see the different lifestil.
My girlfriend the pastor and also teacher for religion.
I have a very good contact to a catholic secondary school in nigeria and what i hear from a nun last year when she was in my country to learn how a school is working in my country, we are still in contact!!!!!!!
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Image123(m): 10:31am On Jul 29, 2014
nora544:

What I post is the money from all the people in my country and we are about 8 million!!!!!!!!!! from this offering!!!!!!!!!! and that is only one offering, the church has to show all the offerings like i post it!!!!!!!!!!!

We didnot need to make this offering that we help that people in poor countries can help and that they have a car that they can reach people in poor districts!!!!!!!!!!

I didnot have a church, I am a churchmember and I have friends good friends who belong to different churches!!!!!!!and one is a Bishop from the old catholics in my country and he was born in Nigeria, was a priest in Nigeria, was a teacher in Nigeria in Ibadan, he study in my country, went back in his country and he come back to make his PHD. a girlfriend is a pastor in a lutheran church, a good friend make at the moment his PHD in religion and his PHD thesis is about the new churches and the influence in the society in the world!!!!!!!and I have friends in nigeria who have parents who are pastors!!!!!!!!!
I know from what I write when I see the different lifestil.
My girlfriend the pastor and also teacher for religion.
I have a very good contact to a catholic secondary school in nigeria and what i hear from a nun last year when she was in my country to learn how a school is working in my country, we are still in contact!!!!!!!

i don't intend to condemn or criticize what you do, i'll leave that to the usual suspects. If i posted what you posted and change the church name to Adeboye, they'd have resumed duty and be up and doing. All i'm saying is if you're going to be pointing fingers at others, know what you're doing.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by nora544: 10:36am On Jul 29, 2014
Image123:

i don't intend to condemn or criticize what you do, i'll leave that to the usual suspects. If i posted what you posted and change the church name to Adeboye, they'd have resumed duty and be up and doing. All i'm saying is if you're going to be pointing fingers at others, know what you're doing.

and I know what I am doing open the eyes from some brainwashed nigerian who will say to all what a pastors will thell them amen or haleluyah.

I know of the lifestile of your so called great man of God!!!!!!!!

3 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings by Image123(m): 11:02am On Jul 29, 2014
nora544:

and I know what I am doing open the eyes from some brainwashed nigerian who will say to all what a pastors will thell them amen or haleluyah.

I know of the lifestile of your so called great man of God!!!!!!!!

Okay, good luck.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by dazzlingd(m): 10:12am On Jul 30, 2014
Tithe according to d bible was never money...it was agricultural produce yet there was money system already in those days

The emphasis on tithe was d food and never money....deuteronomy 14 vs 22- 29 made it clear,

It explained d fact dat, u sud carry ur tithes to d place whr God has chosen and if the place is too far, exchange the tithe for money and wen u get there, use the money to buy food and eat before the lord

Moreover, this is an ancient law, the period of temple, tithing, peace offerings, sacrifice, priests, levites... The mosaic law in general

Jesus said in matthew 23-23..for u pay tithe in mint, anise and cummin....these were agricultural produce not money.

Anybody who still practices tithing does not understand Christianity and is ignorant of the bible

Anyone who still preaches tithing is either a fraud or does not understand wat he preaches

So preachers of tithe...why the lies?
Tithers.....why the ignorance and lack of knowledge?
Are u ancient jews? is your church a temple (ur body is now the temple of the holy spirit...., God does not dwell in buildings made by mortal hands acts 7 vs 48)?
is your pastor a levite? do u still practice burnt offerings and other mosaic laws?

6 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings by nora544: 12:11pm On Jul 30, 2014
some stories about Pastors and tithing it is very funny what they make that they get the money from the poor followers twisting the Bible

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt! Never ever say to a devout 10% church-tither that you give your offerings to an outside charity, spend it feeding the homeless..etc. They will go balistic- "you don't give to your chuuuuuurch You have to give to the church fiiiiiiiirst!!!" People would say, well it doesn't matter where the money goes, God sees your heart in giving and will honor you anyway. Yea, he saw my fear and greed motives. Nice!

I remember pastors challenging this attitude in their weekly mandatory tithe sermonette. Giving outside the church is offerings, not tithes, your 10% tithe still belongs in your church home. Creeps!!! :flame But dare you to stand up and ask where your 10% is going and you are automatically labelled divisive, contentious, trying to cause division..etc. Everytime I think how they use every tactic to manipulate people's money away from them and then curse them if they ask for an accounting or if they would prefer their money to go to actually "helping" people instead of just paying for some extravagant building- they were of "satan". :flame :bite

When I was tied up in the tithe bondage was when I was very young, just moved out of home and barely made enough to survive. So I dropped out of college because I could no longer afford books and tuiton, when all my extra money was going to tithes, faith offerings, covenent partner offerings, love offerings, missionary offering...etc. Even after my hubby and I got married, we were in bondage to tithing for the first year. I remember we moved away and the pastor told us before we moved cross country to send out tithes back home until we found a home church. We paid our tithes and lived off of a bag of potatoes and a bag of oranges for 10 days because we had no money left. Stupid me!! I'm so angry

There was a charismatic church across the community where the preacher taught that even if you quit church, you should still pay your tithes (which showed that his priorities didn't lie with attendance and soul saving, but pocket lining).

My pastor used one story time after time about an old lady in our church who used to make money on the side making quilted "chicken" door stops (remember those?), and every week, she would give him the $1 or $2 tithe on it. He said it used to break his heart when that would happen, since she was extremely poor, was living on a fixed income, and had relatives mooching off of her. He would tell about how he would want to give it back, plus some, and the "Lord" would stop him, not wanting him (the pastor) to rob her of her blessing.

4 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings by feedthenation(m): 4:21pm On Jul 30, 2014
MarkMiwerds: For those who continue to insist on branding me as being against tithing, I make the following statement...

If a Gentile Christian insists that tithing is required, I believe it should be done according to the way that God ordained it to be done.

If a Gentile wants to tithe, he should move to Israel Deuteronomy 12:8 where God's Word said tithing is to be done Deuteronomy 12:1-18 He should purchase land in Israel on which he can farm or raise livestock and tithe from the increase of such. Leviticus 27:30-33 He should take the firstfruits annually from his crops and livestock annually to the Temple in Jerusalem Nehemiah 10:37-38 (good luck finding that) and his tithes annually to one of 48 Levitic cities scattered throughout Israel Numbers 35:1-8 to give to the Levites living in those cities. Numbers 18:21-28; Nehemiah 10:37-38

The Gentile living in Israel should also take a second tithe annually to Jerusalem to the Feast of Weeks and eat that tithe with his family and with the Levites Deuteronomy 14:22-27 And every three years, the Gentile living in Israel should keep the tithe on his own property to feed the widows, orphans and foreigners of his community there in Israel with the tithe for that year Deuteronomy 14:28-29

The Gentile living in Israel will get a full one year reprieve from tithing his crops every seven years as he will not be able to harvest, nor sow his fields. [b]Leviticus 25:4[/b]

If the Gentile is willing to do it God's way, Deuteronomy 12:8 I have no problem with it. LOL

Exodus 12:49 One law shall be to him that is homeborn, and unto the stranger that sojourneth among you.

The Gentile that chooses to tithe according to God's Word should not teach Gentiles living in other nations that they are required to tithe Psalm 147:19-20; Acts 15:10,23-29

Your points are well structured.
It's amazing how most of our churches where tithing are preached don't offer the 7-year 'tithing time-off' reprieval as shown in the bolded statement.

3 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings by MarkMiwerds(m): 4:30pm On Jul 30, 2014
Thank you.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by MarkMiwerds(m): 4:33pm On Jul 30, 2014
feedthenation:

Your points are well structured.
It's amazing how most of our churches where tithing are preached don't offer the 7-year 'tithing time-off' reprieval as shown in the bolded statement.
They also don't give the tither the option to keep part of the tithe for him and his family as Deuteronomy 14:22-27 reveals was to be done.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by Image123(m): 8:41pm On Jul 31, 2014
The likes of Goshen, Drumb, Candor etc avoided that my long post up there like a plague. Before that, they were all over me like flies until i took some time and space to talk. They'll come in future some pages away or some other thread asking what they should learn here and keep to memory, and blame me for not being interested in the charade. So predictable they leave no room for the precious gift of prophecy.
Re: Tithes And Offerings by DrummaBoy(m): 9:21pm On Jul 31, 2014
Image123: The likes of Goshen, Drumb, Candor etc avoided that my long post up there like a plague. Before that, they were all over me like flies until i took some time and space to talk. They'll come in future some pages away or some other thread asking what they should learn here and keep to memory, and blame me for not being interested in the charade. So predictable they leave no room for the precious gift of prophecy.

I speak for myself here, only.

I will not respond to any post by you on the subject of "tithes" ever again on this forum.

You may come to whatever conclusion you wish on this statement and on the subject of discussion. I consider you incorrigible and a deceiver.

I pray you find grace to repent of your ways; only then would I consider discussing tithes with you on nairaland.

Farewell, Imag.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) ... (141) (Reply)

Why I Left Christ Embassy Church / Pastor U. Uden Dennis Arrested Over Sunday Service In Abuja / Serah Joshua And Promise Joshua: TB Joshua's Daughters (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 229
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.