Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,433 members, 7,850,527 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 12:42 AM

Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded (20380 Views)

Metuh’s Torn Statement Linked Jonathan To N400m – EFCC / Kogi APC Torn Apart, Audu Adopted For Polls / Lawmaker's Cloth Torn After The Fight At The National Assembly (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Nobody: 6:06pm On Feb 12, 2013
Phew! Some piece of work we've got here.
Students of history would undoubtedly ponder over the veracity of the counter-claims it contains for some time to come.
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by GARRIx7(m): 6:28pm On Feb 12, 2013
Afam4eva:
Pls educate us. How do we know what's the truth and what's not. Who determines that?

a) National Assembly

b) The house of commons in the UK

c) Governors forum

d) Demola

Mr. Man stop trying to be too clever by half. The Author of the article pointed out some deceitful items in Achebe's book. Why not disprove the writer's submission, instead of grasping at straws.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Afam4eva(m): 6:43pm On Feb 12, 2013
GARRI (x7):

Mr. Man stop trying to be too clever by half. The Author of the article pointed out some deceitful items in Achebe's book. Why not disprove the writer's submission, instead of grasping at straws.
I just got turned off the heading that read "The need for Achebe to be intelligent". Someone who makes such assertion deserves not to be taken seriously.

Since you've read the article why don't you tell us why you think Demola's account it the truth and that of Achebe is not. Pls be smart with your answers.

3 Likes

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by 9jaIhail(m): 6:48pm On Feb 12, 2013
GARRI (x7):

Garri abi na beans be your name, have you heard about the word which says only guilty conscience fears accusation? This is exactly what is happening to yuruba people since last year achebe release his book. Y'all should go hang transfer because all these counter claims make no sense and will not help to remove the awareness achebe book has created.

Achebe book is worldwide but yurubas counter claims exist and end only on Nairaland.

7 Likes

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by 9jaIhail(m): 6:50pm On Feb 12, 2013
Afam4eva:
I just got turned off the heading that read "The need for Achebe to be intelligent". Someone who makes such assertion deserves not to be taken seriously.

Since you've read the article why don't you tell us why you think Demola's account it the truth and that of Achebe is not. Pls be smart with your answers.

My brother abeg leave that gay she/he ain't worth your time.

3 Likes

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by GARRIx7(m): 6:51pm On Feb 12, 2013
Afam4eva:

Mr. Man don't be lazy. Read through the article and attempt to disprove any seeming falsehood you find therein.

Interestingly, no one has come up with a sensible argument as to any inaccuracy in the above article. All I've been seeing on this thread is the usual gibberish from folks who feel insulted that their Hero is being exposed to be the Liar that he is..

angry

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by texazzpete(m): 6:53pm On Feb 12, 2013
I'm sorry but all this talk about someone being immune to criticism becasuse he's 'well known' and 'famous' are pure bunkum and the proponents of this imbecilic viewpoint should be ashamed of themselves.

Hitler's 'mein Kampf' sold millions...and hitler will always be more well known than everyone on this forum combined. Does that make the content of his hate-filled book unimpeachable?

Let the intelligent ones provide rebuttals. Those who denounce without reading have shown the world their level of ignorance.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Afam4eva(m): 6:53pm On Feb 12, 2013
GARRI (x7):

Mr. Man don't be lazy. Read through the article and attempt to disprove any seeming falsehood you find therein.

Interestingly, no one has come up with a sensible argument as to any inaccuracy in the above article. All I've been seeing on this thread is the usual gibberish from folks who feel insulted that their Hero is being exposed to be the Liar that he is..

angry
You wey don read amd decided that it's the truth why don't you tell us why you think so. is it truth only when it suits your personal belief? Because i like garri won't make me to say garri is good and other foods are bad. I'm a rational person and rationality is my bread and butter.

1 Like

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Afam4eva(m): 6:54pm On Feb 12, 2013
texazzpete: I'm sorry but all this talk about someone being immune to criticism becasuse he's 'well known' and 'famous' are pure bunkum and the proponents of this imbecilic viewpoint should be ashamed of themselves.

Hitler's 'mein Kampf' sold millions...and hitler will always be more well known than everyone on this forum combined. Does that make the content of his hate-filled book unimpeachable?

Let the intelligent ones provide rebuttals. Those who denounce without reading have shown the world their level of ignorance.
Who says he should not be criticized? The only problem i have is calling him unintelligent in the process. That just makes the writer unpopular even without becoming popular.

1 Like

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by takedat(m): 6:58pm On Feb 12, 2013
Good to see another writer expose all the distortions of truth, vague and unsubstantiated innuendos, and personal opinion as fact in Achebe's book! A lie is a balloon and truth is pin, thankfully the writer has deflated Achebe's lies!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by ba7man(m): 7:02pm On Feb 12, 2013
Whatever....This year,I'v promised to avoid posting on threads like this....Whooops!!! I just did.
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by seanet01: 7:12pm On Feb 12, 2013
texazzpete: I'm sorry but all this talk about someone being immune to criticism becasuse he's 'well known' and 'famous' are pure bunkum and the proponents of this imbecilic viewpoint should be ashamed of themselves.

On Point.
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Iykopee(m): 7:13pm On Feb 12, 2013
this lenthy verbiage attracted some actions and reactions coz its all abt achebe....if it was abati or maku dat gave such a lenthy epistel nobody wud bother to read it and some wud rather use the title of d tread to react equitably....well achebe has done his piece, a rebuttal on nairaland is a perfect strategy to cause chaos between people of different tribes......some peeps here really need to get a life.

1 Like

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by EkoIle1: 7:40pm On Feb 12, 2013
If the other side dare uses “wipe out,” Achebe would have flagged it at an evidence of the plan to “annihilate the Igbos” but here, he let it pass without comment. It is from his side. And Ogbunigwe was not a product of Igbo ingenuity; it was a “bespectacled” American mercenary from MIT uncovered by the Irish journalist Donal Musgrave that was secretly training Biafrans on how to use fertilizers to make bombs (cf 13 August 1968 cable from American embassy in Dublin to the one in the Lagos).

The great ogbunike the tomahawk cruise missile..

lmao..ibo people no go kill pesin I swear. No wonder that bitter and hate mongering old man win hall of shame..

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by GARRIx7(m): 7:46pm On Feb 12, 2013
@Afam:

Why are you maintaining this sort of criminal silence even as your kinsman Ikeangwo spams this thread with unrelated pictures of Bance.

Didn't Seun tell you that off-topic posts is a bannable offence??
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Afam4eva(m): 7:48pm On Feb 12, 2013
GARRI (x7):
@Afam:

Why are you maintaining this sort of criminal silence even as your kinsman Ikeangwo spams this thread with unrelated pictures of Bance.

Didn't Seun tell you that off-topic posts is a bannable offence??
You've forgotten to answer the question i posed to you.

1 Like

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by GARRIx7(m): 7:54pm On Feb 12, 2013
Afam4eva:
You've forgotten to answer the question i posed to you.

Afam4eva:
You wey don read amd decided that it's the truth why don't you tell us why you think so. is it truth only when it suits your personal belief? Because i like garri won't make me to say garri is good and other foods are bad. I'm a rational person and rationality is my bread and butter.

I can't discuss an article which you refused to refused to read (out of bias) with you. There would be no basis for the discussion..

It's like trying to use the Bible to convince an Atheist(who hasn't even read the bible) that there is God...

9 Likes

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Nobody: 7:55pm On Feb 12, 2013
bushwailo: Can't read this very lengthy Opinion of a Nobody !
I concur
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Nobody: 7:59pm On Feb 12, 2013
very loooong thread! btw i thought we were done with Achebe? una don come again this year! make una free the man abeg.

1 Like

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by malc619(m): 8:00pm On Feb 12, 2013
Eko Ile:

The great ogbunike the tomahawk cruise missile..

lmao..ibo people no go kill pesin I swear. No wonder that bitter and hate mongering old man win hall of shame..

Who is Ogbunike??

Is he a MOD here
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by GARRIx7(m): 8:02pm On Feb 12, 2013
malc619:

Who is Ogbunike??

Is he a MOD here

Yes ooo!!

Ogbunike is Afam's Nickname..... cheesy cheesy
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by vedaxcool(m): 8:10pm On Feb 12, 2013
Wow this demilola guy took achebe to the cleaners, amazing effects and spectacular logic, in fact he showed me that achebe have Hitlerist tendency which any sane mind should abhor especially when Achebe goes to great lenght in referencing death of igbos yet finds it convinent to reduce the death of other ethnicities at the hand of igbos to being unconfirmed, unveriafiable etc! This man remains. In my 2012 Hall of Shame!

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by dapotemi: 8:12pm On Feb 12, 2013
Having read Achebe's book (there ws a country)and alot of other articles including dis one,i tink we shud understand dat there is no PERFECT book or perfect article,dis pple,no matter wat they av achieved are human like you and i.Ur opinion,my opinion,Achebe's opinion nd dis writer's opinion might nt necessarily equals TRUTH.Achebe is a great writer nd i respect him alot!I dont knw dis writeut i equally respect him,most of d tins he wrote here are equally verifiable,he ws making alot of reference dat a sensible reader can equally look it up to approve or disapprove,but all i can see here is jus d normal ranting nd whinning frm dos dat believe or place their ethnicity above our common heritage/entity,Nigeria.i commend d writer for taking his time to read achebe's book nd also to make personal research nd write a rejoinder,dat is wat intellectuals do,AND that does'nt make Achebe less intelligent or lesser dan wat he is today.

8 Likes

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by dayokanu(m): 8:20pm On Feb 12, 2013
Achebe has been proven once again to be a senile cripple.

Hall of Shame 2012 winner

5 Likes

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by donchris999: 8:30pm On Feb 12, 2013
Please i need an explanation on why the yorubas are just unneccesarily enraged by achebe's book? My question is: did awolowo who admitted on an interview i read actually proposed the starvation as a tool to annihilate the igbos? Smh. Yes or no. If yes, then how did achebe lied? if no then achebe is a liar. To the best of my knowledge and as admitted by awolowo himself, he did it. Why then vilify achebe for corraborating awolowo's admittance to an act?

3 Likes

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by GARRIx7(m): 8:37pm On Feb 12, 2013
^^^

Mr. Man, go and read the article then come back and modify your post to something more reasonable..

undecided
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by chreldb(m): 8:45pm On Feb 12, 2013
GARRI (x7):

angry

On a personal note I reserve my comment and opinion for reasons best known to me. @ bolded, Garri I would like to bring this to your notice. I visited the website that the write up was published and clicke on "ABOUT US" on the page and below is what was written.

"Pwc Review is an Information Chamber dedicated to stimulating the minds that are minds. It continues the tradition of the Nietzsche and every other nuclear minds. Kindly press X for exit at the top right corner of this page if you are not one of those minds."
http://pwc-review.com/about-us/

An attempt in engaging in an intellectual debate with some posters on this thread will be like pouring water into a basket. Bigotism and sentiments have gotten the better of some peoples judgement. As a result they have deliberately switched off their brains.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Kaduna APC To Suspend Shehu Sani / Buhari: Killers Of Borno Aid Workers Will Face The Law / Falana: Security Agencies Were Informed Of Planned Igangan Killings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.