Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,739 members, 7,837,687 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 09:21 AM

Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded (20327 Views)

Metuh’s Torn Statement Linked Jonathan To N400m – EFCC / Kogi APC Torn Apart, Audu Adopted For Polls / Lawmaker's Cloth Torn After The Fight At The National Assembly (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Nobody: 8:47pm On Feb 12, 2013
The book, to say the least, is a masterpiece of propaganda and sycophancy.

True

2 Likes

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by oboy3(m): 8:53pm On Feb 12, 2013
Mods why was i banned?
Look at what i posted and tell me whats wrong in It
o'boy:
Damola,leave Achebe alone and stop seeking cheap popularity,this is the Sixth essay of him on Achebe i have read so Far
kinda reminds me of one Nichole gravity that sang "i want finish timaya" to become Famous
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by vicade(m): 9:15pm On Feb 12, 2013

3 Likes

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by hercules07: 9:35pm On Feb 12, 2013
vicade: Wow.

Mind blowing. A newspaper should seek permission from demola and print this.

Achebe is a great story teller et la fiction. Its sad if not tragic to see a man so great in the literary world round up his glittering career with a book filled with lies.

The biggest lie I'm very sure of is The part achebe said Kaduna Nzeogwu was only igbo in name and had more northern values than igbo is just sad. Had he made further research into how kaduna eventually died, maybe he would have deleted that part. Maybe he did know but chose to ignore.

However, I believe cardinal rex lawason was ijaw not ibo and that song ,goats are crying was released in 1964 according to my uncle which is 2 years before its use in the supposed 1966 taunting of the northerners. Apart from this part, Demola took achebe apart.

Great story tellers are not necessary great historians. And as chimamanda Adichie said"...we all remember differently". Everything I know about d biafra war, I read cos I'm a child of the 80s' but I'm sad achebe has chosen to end his career like this. Things have really fallen apart at the end.

I am sure when Cardinal Rex Lawson released that song it was not meant to be a mocking song, it was probably adopted for the purpose by those misfits who brought great misfortune on others.

1 Like

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by vicade(m): 9:38pm On Feb 12, 2013
hercules07:

I am sure when Cardinal Rex Lawson released that song it was not meant to be a mocking song, it was probably adopted for the purpose by those misfits who brought great misfortune on others.

That's a more likely possibility.

This is front page material. Only if the moderators would do the needful.
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Nobody: 10:15pm On Feb 12, 2013
babyosisi: [size=28pt]Achebe speaks on the world stage,they reply him on nairaland and oshun defender grin grin grin
Who is the bigger masquerade?
[/size]
I didn't bother to read that garbage sha
World stage indeed! he merely used his propaganda talent to get it published by foreign media, let me asked you since he published this evil book has it attract any sympathy or positive gains for the ibo race?
You people are genius when it comes to propaganda and ashebe is just exhibiting his talent.

2 Likes

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by drnoel: 10:17pm On Feb 12, 2013
Olaolufred:

HIS POINT IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN HIM.
READ THE POINTS, IF YOU DO NOT AGREE,
THEN MAKE YOUR OWN POINT WITH EXPLANATIONS.
DO YOU KNOW THAT SAME QUESTION FITS YOU AND ME?
IF AFAM4EVA OR OLAOLUFRED IS KNOWLEDGEABLE ENOUGH, WHY IS OUR NAMES NOT EVERYWHERE LIKE OBAMA'S?
I agree with u. I wrote him asking him to give more information or write a book on his point of view.
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Nobody: 10:17pm On Feb 12, 2013
Achebe the fiction writer is a senile old fool for trying to distort history with his evil book.
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by CyberG: 10:22pm On Feb 12, 2013
Absolutely fantastic and flawless exposition! All Achebe's lies exposed in a single write-up: absolute masterclass!

2 Likes

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by GenOrumov: 10:49pm On Feb 12, 2013
I'm confused here. I don't know the better writer between world known Prof. Achebe and this totally unknown writer but for the painstaking research and effort that was put into this piece to reveal actually who Prof. is, I have to give it to this guy. He seriously dissected Prof. This is what happens to bigots.

11 Likes

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Abbott(m): 11:33pm On Feb 12, 2013
This is getting interesting.
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by kofoshi: 12:02am On Feb 13, 2013
I found the part about the Paul Anber "person" to be quite intriguing and revealing a lot about how the ibos have managed to turn propaganda into a special attribute of theirs. They do it so well.

I think more investigation should be done to reveal who is or was behind that monica.

What an outstanding piece and a very enlightening read it was.

4 Likes

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by DuduNegro: 12:12am On Feb 13, 2013
I promised and made it part of my new year resolution to do a series on Biafra using a volume of materials in my posession to steadily erode the Biafran propaganda machine and help bring truth to their victims, the Igbos. The Biafran propagandists have since went under and kept silent or maintained a low profile after I released the first two series incriminating Bank of Biafra as an accomplice in the extortion and starvation of Igbos and also sharing knowledge about emigrated priviledged refugee. Although this is not part of that series but it is worth noting here that Achebe as Biafran Minister of Information also served in a capacity as a Foreign Diplomat and with Azikiwe, travelled round the globe to earn sympathy for Biafra. One of the people that Achebe kept close contact with was Margery Perham, a Briton. I want you to see what she disclosed to Ojukwu in this letter.

"CONCERN FROM A FRIEND OF NIGERIA"

This is Margery Perham speaking. I am speaking to you, Emeka Ojukwu, and to the Ibo people with you.

You know for you have written to me--how many Ibo friends I have and how I have tried to put the Ibo ease in Britain for many months. I know that many wrongs have been committed both against your people and by your people since this conflict began. But it is no time to speak of these things now when your Biafra is being surrounded by Federal troops, and it cannot be long before you and your people will have to face defeat.

If you try to fight to the end, many thousands of lives which Nigeria cannot spare will be sacrificed, both on your side and on the Federal side. More than this, if you insist upon holding out to the end, then thousands, perhaps millions, of women and children may die, or be wounded, or have their health fatally destroyed by hunger and hardship. And those people who have come from Britain and elsewhere to help you--doctors, nurses and others--they too might be killed or wounded. It is feeling for your people, and especially the innocent women and children, which has so deeply stirred the sympathy of people in Europe and America who have seen their suffering on television. The world which is watching would condemn you if they now believed that you were using your leadership to prolong a hopeless struggle at their expense: there would be not only sorrow, but indignation against you.

You might say that I have been put up by the Federal Government [the Gowon-led Nigerian government] to make this appeal. It is not so. I think I am too well known in Britain and by many of your own people for it to be thought that I would act or speak in any other way than upon my own judgment and initiative, and as a Christian. I cannot speak for the Federal Government. I can only say that from what I have seen and heard, not only in Lagos but in visits to other parts, the East and the North, I do not believe that your people would be in danger of massacre or revenge. You must know, even if your people do not, that an immense effort is now being made to prepare the way back for your people into life in Nigeria.

I therefore beg you not to take upon yourself the terrible responsibility of refusing to surrender and of fighting to the end.

2 Likes

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by EkoIle1: 12:19am On Feb 13, 2013
Instead of writing the book as a writer who is Igbo, Achebe wrote the book as an Igbo writer hence working himself into a Zugzwang bind. In chess once you are in this bind, every step you make weakens your position further and further

This is just too funny... lmao

1 Like

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by oilsuop: 12:30am On Feb 13, 2013
is it the guilty conscience killing my yoruba brothers and sisters? why are we whining more than eboes sad we are great people we are not known for crying like a baby crying for sweet we cannot be like ibos,ibo are good at it!see the way we cry about football out of 250 ethnic groups in nigeria we are the ones that show more hatred,if we dont like other people in nigeria we should go our own way not bewitching the good name of nigeria, pls we should stop crying like a homeless baby sad

2 Likes

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by EkoIle1: 12:33am On Feb 13, 2013
oil suop: is it the guilty conscience killing my yoruba brothers and sisters?

you are not a funny comedian, try again..

5 Likes

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Nobody: 12:33am On Feb 13, 2013
oil suop: is it the guilty conscience killing my yoruba brothers and sisters?

For exposing Igbo's propaganda?

4 Likes

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by oilsuop: 12:40am On Feb 13, 2013
inufele2:

For exposing Igbo's propaganda?
is rather making us look stupiiiddd sad

1 Like

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Nobody: 2:05am On Feb 13, 2013
Afam4eva: Since this Damola guy is soo intelligent how come his intelligent has not made him world acclaimed? @justasking

This is a ludicrous response. You should know better.

1 Like

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by abouzaid: 2:38am On Feb 13, 2013
I'm posting by 2.35am so i won't do a detailed treatment, however, this article is based on verbal gymnastics and outright falsehood. 1) as a prove of the first, he picked achebe's saying that between 1000 to 2000 ppl mostly civillians were killed and twisted it to mean that since he does not know the exact amount killed, how would he know if they were mostly civillians? This position of his is plain baseless, it's like saying that we have between 1000 to 2000 traders at the local weekly market here in the north most of them being non igbos. The fact that i don't know the exact number of traders does not mean that i don't know for certain that most of them are not igbos. 2) also his claim that ogbunigwe was not a product of igbo ingenuity because a harvard professor was teaching igbos how to make bombs from fertilizers is a white face lie. Ogbunigwe was a dust mine, so what concerns a dust mine with fertilizer bombs?( on a side note, have the nigerian army ever developed and utilised any technology on a battle field even with foreign help? Not even a fertilizer bomb). If indeed he is an engineer, then he should have known that america and russia built their jet technology using captured german scientists while india,pakistan, iran etc are building theirs using returned and foreign scientists from places like harvard. Nobody wakes up one morning and builds something out of the thin air, u learn and innovate just as igbos have been learning and innovating in nigeria thereby giving rise to such widespread cliches like igbo made, aba made, onitsha made etc. I'm yet to hear akure or ogbomosho made. The author is an attention seeker and would be better ignored. Imagine wasting my precious time reading such a hogwash? Nna men, ndi ara gbara ọkwụ fa ghụ o.(unfollows thread).

4 Likes

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by EkoIle1: 2:59am On Feb 13, 2013
abouzaid: .(unfollows thread).

Great idea and please don't come back because your gibberish is headache inducing...

2 Likes

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Nobody: 3:27am On Feb 13, 2013
babyosisi: [size=28pt]Achebe speaks on the world stage,they reply him on nairaland and oshun defender grin grin grin
Who is the bigger masquerade?
[/size]
I didn't bother to read that garbage sha

You didn't bother to read it because you're a bumbling dunce with rocks for brains.

All that occupies your undeveloped, shallow mind is ''who is the bigger masquerade''.

A disgrace to our educational system.

8 Likes

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by Nobody: 3:35am On Feb 13, 2013
abouzaid: ( on a side note, have the nigerian army ever developed and utilised any technology on a battle field ...?

Err... actually yes. Ever heard of Defence Industries Corporation of Nigeria? We do manufacture heavy weapons in this country. I'll put your comment down to ignorance.

1 Like

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by DuduNegro: 3:59am On Feb 13, 2013
ROSSIKE:

Err... actually yes. Ever heard of Defence Industries Corporation of Nigeria? We do manufacture heavy weapons in this country. I'll put your comment down to ignorance.

you mean we assemble...
Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by birdman(m): 4:19am On Feb 13, 2013

Beside the fact that this has a language consistent with white supremacist literature, Achebe, to demonstrate he is not partial or a chauvinist, based himself on a 17 page report by Paul Anber in Journal of Modern African Studies titled Modernization and Political Disintegration: Nigeria and the Ibos.

I looked up the 1967 journal. Curiously this ‘scholar’ was designated as “a member of staff of one the Nigerian Universities.” Why would a scholar hide his place of work in a journal? I checked the essays and book reviews in all the 196 issues of Journal of Modern African Studies from Volume 1 issue 1 of January 1963 to the last issue Volume 49 November 2011, there was nowhere a piece was published and the designation of the scholar vague or hidden. Also this Paul Anber never published any piece before and after this article in this or any other journal. I wanted to start checking the academic staff list of the five universities in Nigeria then until I realized again that it says “he is a staff of Nigerian university;” I would have to check the names of janitors and cleaners, and other non-academic staff too. The truth is Paul Anber is a fake name under which someone else or a group of people possibly Igbo is masquerading. And he/they never used this name again for any other piece or books. So that this ruse would not be found out was the reason he/they hid his/their university. And this piece like The Protocols of the Elders of Zion has been the cornerstone of books and widely quoted by other journals over a period 45 years. It is the cornerstone of the chapter A History Of Ethnic Tension And Resentment which Achebe used to skew the motive for Igbo people’s maltreatment from the fallout of January 1966 coup and the inflammatory provocations they published to resentment for being allegedly the most successful and dominant tribe in Nigeria.

Whoa!

1 Like

Re: Prof Achebe's "There Was A Country" Is Meticulously Torn Apart & Shredded by DuduNegro: 4:23am On Feb 13, 2013
birdman:

Whoa!

...same things I said. cheesy cheesy Thats BIG! You cant trust these Biafrans....they cook up too much shyyt and assign fake authority to it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Why Buhari Should Not Be Addressed As Leader Of The APC - Dogara / Nigeria Shell Employees Causing Oil Leaks For Profit - Dutch TV / I Salute Their Courage: Buhari Mourns Soldiers Killed By ISWAP Terrorists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.