Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,317 members, 7,815,592 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:00 PM

Mandinka/Malinke/Dioula people of Mali, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea, Burkina... - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Mandinka/Malinke/Dioula people of Mali, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea, Burkina... (61962 Views)

Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State / The Kru People Of Liberia And Cote D'ivoire / Akan Of Ghana And Cote D'ivoire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mandinka/Malinke/Dioula people of Mali, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea, Burkina... by Nobody: 8:35pm On Mar 20, 2013
I Just Run My Finger Across the Font and It Paints it and Edits it the Way I Want.
Re: Mandinka/Malinke/Dioula people of Mali, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea, Burkina... by Nobody: 8:36pm On Mar 20, 2013
I am trying to think of that other song by Salif....

Ahhh It will come to me sooner or later.
Re: Mandinka/Malinke/Dioula people of Mali, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea, Burkina... by Nobody: 8:42pm On Mar 20, 2013
Thiendella, j'ecouterai les vids plutard quand je serai a la maison, generally I don't like Hip Hop in french mais Hip Hop en langues africaines is dooope!

1 Like

Re: Mandinka/Malinke/Dioula people of Mali, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea, Burkina... by Nobody: 8:44pm On Mar 20, 2013
Sybellah: ok I see, do u know if Malian and Guinean have this name as surname as well ?
Yeah I think there are basic name all mandinkas share, depending on their location they have new names because of mixing. I think Bambaras are a group of malinkes who left mande and settled in Mali, by Sundjata's reign, even during all the Mali empire, Bambaras were not a distinct group, only malinkes existed then.
It's like the sosses, they have basic mandinka names in addition to names like sané, mané, diané, diassé ... These names are bainuk, bainuk are a tribe living in southern senegal who are the first settlers in senegambia and got almost totally assimilated into either the jolas, or the mandinkas, Sagna is a bainuk name, Bacary Sagna is Jola from Bainuk origin
Re: Mandinka/Malinke/Dioula people of Mali, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea, Burkina... by Nobody: 8:46pm On Mar 20, 2013
Sybellah: Thiendella, j'ecouterai les vids plutard quand je serai a la maison, generally I don't like Hip Hop in french mais Hip Hop en langues africaines is dooope!
Ecoute hein stp, gambian mandinka hip hop really has an awsome rythme smiley
Re: Mandinka/Malinke/Dioula people of Mali, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea, Burkina... by BlackKenichi(m): 8:51pm On Mar 20, 2013
thiendella: I really like this song , he is one one the greatest mandinka singers, together with Sory kandia kouyate, I think he has a lot of merit for that because he is not even a griot, and when non griots decide to sing, they usually suck.

Mande speaking groups are quite hierarchical. Apparently Salif Keita is a direct descendant of an Ancient Malian Emperor! That doesn't mean much, everyone knows male Monarchs love to spread their seed!

1 Like

Re: Mandinka/Malinke/Dioula people of Mali, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea, Burkina... by Nobody: 8:51pm On Mar 20, 2013
thiendella:
Yeah I think there are basic name all mandinkas share, depending on their location they have new names because of mixing. I think Bambaras are a group of malinkes who left mande and settled in Mali, by Sundjata's reign, even during all the Mali empire, Bambaras were not a distinct group, only malinkes existed then.
It's like the sosses, they have basic mandinka names in addition to names like sané, mané, diané, diassé ... These names are bainuk, bainuk are a tribe living in southern senegal who are the first settlers in senegambia and got almost totally assimilated into either the jolas, or the mandinkas, Sagna is a bainuk name, Bacary Sagna is Jola from Bainuk origin

Very true. Today u can find a few mandes with the name bah or diallo, although these names are fula.
There are names all the mandes groups no matter their country shares, there are others that belongs strictly to some regions.
Re: Mandinka/Malinke/Dioula people of Mali, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea, Burkina... by Nobody: 8:53pm On Mar 20, 2013
thiendella:

i will wink
Re: Mandinka/Malinke/Dioula people of Mali, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea, Burkina... by BlackKenichi(m): 8:56pm On Mar 20, 2013
thiendella:

The best rappers on the Continent are Senegambians! Closely followed by South Africans! smiley

1 Like

Re: Mandinka/Malinke/Dioula people of Mali, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea, Burkina... by Nobody: 9:00pm On Mar 20, 2013
Black Kenichi:

The best rappers on the Continent are Senegambians! Closely followed by South Africans! smiley
cool cool You know good things don't you ?
Re: Mandinka/Malinke/Dioula people of Mali, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea, Burkina... by BlackKenichi(m): 9:06pm On Mar 20, 2013
thiendella:
cool cool You know good things don't you ?

Daara J are sick. Same with MC Solaar! As I said though some South African rappers can give the Senegambian rappers a run for their money!
Re: Mandinka/Malinke/Dioula people of Mali, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea, Burkina... by Nobody: 9:14pm On Mar 20, 2013
SeneGambian Hip Hop Artist Maintain their Culture and Style.

The Rest of Africa Bites off the West.

Senegalese Music Is Beautiful....

Forget Hip Hop at the Moment.....Yohh Check it, Love this Song.....And Tha Darker Chiq is Fione

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNZPW0y2Se4&list=FLeccyvX3gqz6LoAZNLqKL5A&index=199

1 Like

Re: Mandinka/Malinke/Dioula people of Mali, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea, Burkina... by Nobody: 9:14pm On Mar 20, 2013
Black Kenichi:

Daara J are sick. Same with MC Solaar! As I said though some South African rappers can give the Senegambian rappers a run for their money!

isnt MC Solaar Tchadian
Re: Mandinka/Malinke/Dioula people of Mali, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea, Burkina... by Nobody: 9:16pm On Mar 20, 2013
Traditional music are the best, i generally do not like hip hop undecided

My favorite Singer from Senegal kiss
i used to be amazed by the video, the lyrics, the quality of the music, are just too good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI6XDlZ8YvM

I like Youssou Ndour as well smiley
Re: Mandinka/Malinke/Dioula people of Mali, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea, Burkina... by Nobody: 9:17pm On Mar 20, 2013
I went on wikepedia and tried to gather pics of senegalese mandinka players (sosse)
I thinks sosses are darker, what do you think?

Papiss cisse

cheikhou kouyate
[img]http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Cheikhou+Kouyate+Senegal+Men+Official+Olympic+jDEewTiQlxSl.jpg[/img]
Sadio Mane

Moussa konate
[img]http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Moussa+Konate+Senegal+Men+Official+Olympic+FwZgITKxG5gl.jpg[/img]
Lamine sane

ousmane mane
[img]http://www.sportsenegal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Ousmane+Mane.jpg[/img]
Re: Mandinka/Malinke/Dioula people of Mali, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea, Burkina... by Nobody: 9:20pm On Mar 20, 2013
Thank u for the pics Miss smiley

Can u actually tell the difference just by looking at them? Is there a big physical difference between wolof and mandinka?
Re: Mandinka/Malinke/Dioula people of Mali, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea, Burkina... by Nobody: 9:21pm On Mar 20, 2013
IIIIxRoyalxIIII: SeneGambian Hip Hop Artist Maintain their Culture and Style.

The Rest of Africa Bites off the West.

Senegalese Music Is Beautiful....

Forget Hip Hop at the Moment.....Yohh Check it, Love this Song.....And Tha Darker Chiq is Fione

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNZPW0y2Se4&list=FLeccyvX3gqz6LoAZNLqKL5A&index=199
Haha I really don't like this salam diallo and his gayish moves, the best in this kind of music (tassu ) is Pape thiopet, he's awesome cheesy cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh8QIlaH8DQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt1vzT7Jd5I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt1vzT7Jd5I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD9CTvpvf_I
Re: Mandinka/Malinke/Dioula people of Mali, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea, Burkina... by Nobody: 9:21pm On Mar 20, 2013
thiendella: I went on wikepedia and tried to gather pics of senegalese mandinka players (sosse)
I thinks sosses are darker, what do you think?

Yeah, Seems like the Mandinka From the SeneGambian Region Meshed in and Absorbed more Wolof and Serer Feature Traits

Beautiful People.

2 Likes

Re: Mandinka/Malinke/Dioula people of Mali, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea, Burkina... by BlackKenichi(m): 9:21pm On Mar 20, 2013
Sybellah:

isnt MC Solaar Tchadian

I have no idea!
Re: Mandinka/Malinke/Dioula people of Mali, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea, Burkina... by Nobody: 9:24pm On Mar 20, 2013
Sybellah: Thank u for the pics Miss smiley

Can u actually tell the difference just by looking at them? Is there a big physical difference between wolof and mandinka?
A mandinka is more muscular than a wolof, less tall too, but it's not obvious for a non senegalese, but when I go to the old railway market in Dakar, which is a bambara market, I can easily tell a bambara or a guinean
Re: Mandinka/Malinke/Dioula people of Mali, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea, Burkina... by Nobody: 9:25pm On Mar 20, 2013
Black Kenichi:
I have no idea!

i ve just checked, he is born in senegal from chadian parents
Re: Mandinka/Malinke/Dioula people of Mali, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea, Burkina... by Nobody: 9:27pm On Mar 20, 2013
thiendella:
A mandinka is more muscular than a wolof, less tall too, but it's not obvious for a non senegalese, but when I go to the old railway market in Dakar, which is a bambara market, I can easily tell a bambara or a guinean
ooh ok I see, cause from the pics, pape cisse for example if it was not for his name, i will think he was wolof. Was there a lot of inter-mixing in the past between wolof, fulas and mandinka?
Re: Mandinka/Malinke/Dioula people of Mali, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea, Burkina... by Nobody: 9:27pm On Mar 20, 2013
Sybellah: Traditional music are the best, i generally do not like hip hop undecided

My favorite Singer from Senegal kiss
i used to be amazed by the video, the lyrics, the quality of the music, are just too good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI6XDlZ8YvM

I like Youssou Ndour as well smiley
Yeah Ismael lo is a great singer, but senegalese don't like world music in general , that's why singers like ismael lo will be appreciated in europe but will not be that successful in Senegal. They prefer mbalax and traditional music.
Re: Mandinka/Malinke/Dioula people of Mali, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea, Burkina... by Nobody: 9:31pm On Mar 20, 2013
thiendella:
Yeah Ismael lo is a great singer, but senegalese don't like world music in general , that's why singers like ismael lo will be appreciated in europe but will not be that successful in Senegal. They prefer mbalax and traditional music.
shocked shocked that man was not successful in Senegal? he is among my fav african singers, Mballax c'est chic, j'aime bien

1 Like

Re: Mandinka/Malinke/Dioula people of Mali, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea, Burkina... by Nobody: 9:40pm On Mar 20, 2013
Sybellah: ooh ok I see, cause from the pics, pape cisse for example if it was not for his name, i will think he was wolof. Was there a lot of inter-mixing in the past between wolof, fulas and mandinka?
There are many wolof with this name...Cisse. It's actually one of the most common names in Senegal. There are wolof with mandinka names cisse, diakhate, cissokho, toure, camara etc, in general they will tell you that their ancestor is a a mandinka marabout who visited a wolof village and stayed or a mankinka family who settled there. But I think wolofs and mandinkas just look alike, it will be difficult, even for a senegalese to tell a wolof from a mandinka, a toucouleur, or a serer,. I also know there are wolof colonies in Sedhiou, a very mandinka region
Re: Mandinka/Malinke/Dioula people of Mali, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea, Burkina... by Nobody: 9:47pm On Mar 20, 2013
Sybellah: shocked shocked that man was not successful in Senegal? he is among my fav african singers, Mballax c'est chic, j'aime bien
People know him, but his songs won't be airing much on radios, he is not as popular as youssou Ndour or thione seck because people prefer original mbalax to world music.
Re: Mandinka/Malinke/Dioula people of Mali, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea, Burkina... by Nobody: 9:51pm On Mar 20, 2013
thiendella:
There are many wolof with this name...Cisse. It's actually one of the most common names in Senegal. There are wolof with mandinka names cisse, diakhate, cissokho, toure, camara etc, in general they will tell you that their ancestor is a a mandinka marabout who visited a wolof village and stayed or a mankinka family who settled there. But I think wolofs and mandinkas just look alike, it will be difficult, even for a senegalese to tell a wolof from a mandinka, a toucouleur, or a serer,. I also know there are wolof colonies in Sedhiou, a very mandinka region

ok i see, i did not know actually that Wolof could have Manding patronyms, i am definitively learning. So Pape Cisse regardless is name could be wolof as well.
i think mandings looks different according to their regions because they have been mixing a lot with surrounding ethnic groups. If you take CIV for examples, many manding migrated south, and when they settle in another region, they generally take spouses from their new locations, and their kids although mixed will be considered Malinke. I think it may be difficult to make the difference between a Senegalese Mandinka and a Wolof but less difficult to differentiate an Ivorian or Guinean Mandingue from a Senegalese Mandingue.

1 Like

Re: Mandinka/Malinke/Dioula people of Mali, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea, Burkina... by Nobody: 10:02pm On Mar 20, 2013
This is Alima the one i was talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC0J55eQfYw
Re: Mandinka/Malinke/Dioula people of Mali, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea, Burkina... by Nobody: 10:13pm On Mar 20, 2013
Re: Mandinka/Malinke/Dioula people of Mali, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea, Burkina... by Nobody: 10:13pm On Mar 20, 2013
Re: Mandinka/Malinke/Dioula people of Mali, Cote d'Ivoire, Guinea, Burkina... by Nobody: 10:36pm On Mar 20, 2013
Mix of Akan and Malinke, this song is beautiful smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2cmu3HzQ0g

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Man Who Sat On The Throne Of Tor Tiv Barnished From TIV Land (pic) / Obi Of Onitsha Ofala Festival 2015- PHOTOS / Corper Olori Ajoke Adeyemi: Alaafin Of Oyo's Wife Pictured In NYSC Uniform

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.