Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,564 members, 7,820,036 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:50 AM

How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? (23785 Views)

How Did Tinubu End Up Owning Lagos State House, Marina? / Did Tinubu Deployed LASTMA Officials To Adamawa For GMB Campaign (pics)? / Fashola Performed Better Than I Did – Tinubu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by Lamasta(m): 10:46pm On Apr 02, 2013
Stop abusing the word *POWERFUL* how will a THIEF be tagged powerful? A man that don't believe in democracy how can He be called a Powerful Man, As far as am concerned there is no democracy in ACN, they only choose candidates not elect candidates and you tell me that a leader of that party is powerful mtchew....
Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by kolexy(m): 10:49pm On Apr 02, 2013
Afam4eva:

Let me engage you guys...

Apart from Oshiomole, the governors in ACN were relative nonentities before they emerged as the governor of their respective states. Most of had little or not political clout before been picked by Tinubu to tule their states, so they owe him that much. Let Tinubu try and field a popular candidate like Jimi Agbaje and see what happens to his relevance. The only way Tinubu can remain relevant is to field people with no political relevance and make them indebted to him.

Are you this ignorant, or ur just shying from the truth. Kayode Fayemi was a popular pro-democracy activist. He was the coordinator of Radio Kudirat.¥ Ajumobi was CEO of Conoil, and later a Senator. Amosun is a Fellow of Ican FCA and a former senator. He was the 1 who introduced Gbenga Daniel top Obasanjo. The only person Tinubu made is Rauf Aregbesola of Osun.

1 Like

Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by Nobody: 10:50pm On Apr 02, 2013
Listen guys, Tinubu was Powerful, when he was in Power. Right now, he is powerless, except power has been redefined. My Critics will disagree, not because I am wrong, but because their duty is to just disagree with me, they will even disagree if I say that Tinubu is a human being. That being said, I need to add that personal powers can be gained by obeying the salient laws of power, which ofcourse is akin to popularity command and not really power.

Tinubu is popular in the South West, not really powerful. He was able to use 'Political Power' to accrue wealth and create political connections which creates an envelope of power illusion around him, it is simply a mirage. He indeed is powerless but tries as much as he can to create propaganda themes which hypnotizes his ignorant disciples. An illusion they misconstrue for power.

2 Likes

Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by kolexy(m): 10:56pm On Apr 02, 2013
[quote author=Afam4eva]
Did you know Fashola, FAyemi and Ajimobi before they became governor? Did they win because they had a name politically or because Tinubu used his influence? Pls don't mention Oshiomole again because he won his first term on the platform of Labour party and he won because he was Osho baba and not because of his party.[/quot

Wrong, wrong, wrong! Oshiomole first came out under Labour party, but he never contested under Labour party. He contested under the defunct AC. Please check your facts.
Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by Sweetlemon(f): 10:56pm On Apr 02, 2013
I have been studying about Tinubu all day. (Something I do when something or someone motives/intrigues me) I have been able to bring out these qualities which I believe other politicians and indeed everyone of us can learn from.

1. Tinubu surrounds himself with smart achievers and not empty brained praise-singers. This is the most important lesson. Tinubu does not allow himself to be carried away by the loud singing and drumming of his supporters and praise singers. Although he does acknowledge their praises he keeps them at a distance when he wants to do serious business.
This is unlike most of our other politicians who forget themselves while listening to the sugar-coated voices of their often empty-skulledpraise singers.
2. Tinubu has the gift of fore-sight and knows how to apply it. He knows when to pull out of a venture which will not turn be successful in order to save his face.
This is unlike most other politicians who act before they think about the effects their actions will have on their political careers.
3. Tinubu does not allow women distract him. Of course he does his occasional runs, but he knows how to keep them out of his business and does open favours for his wife only.
4. Tinubu is unique. His style, his approach, his swagg. Everything stands out. He has is own identity.

I strongly believe if we all adopt these qualities in our personal lives, and in Nigerian politics, Nigeria will be a tad better.
Cheers!

3 Likes

Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by mrIZik: 10:59pm On Apr 02, 2013
so sad, no 1 remembered tinubu paid for NECO in 1999/2000, and am sure many of the pdp Governors then were busy taking away money to swiz banks and the UK. many of you don't know that history works more than magic. fruits don't come in a day. only the persistence reaps fruits, who remembered the anti NADECOs today. but we know those who believed in the race of making Nigeria a state and not just come shop politicians.

2 Likes

Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by Nobody: 11:00pm On Apr 02, 2013
Lamasta: Stop abusing the word *POWERFUL* how will a THIEF be tagged powerful? A man that don't believe in democracy how can He be called a Powerful Man, As far as am concerned there is no democracy in ACN, they only choose candidates not elect candidates and you tell me that a leader of that party is powerful mtchew....

And the democratic parties did what? Diddly squat as usual grin
Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by Sweetlemon(f): 11:07pm On Apr 02, 2013
naijababe:

And the democratic parties did what? Diddly squat as usual grin
Lol!
Some people ehn!
Just because they don't like someone or because the person is not from their part of the world, they will close their eyes to anything worth admiring. Nigerians and sentiments ehn!
Tufia!
Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by OurYansh: 11:08pm On Apr 02, 2013
Billyonaire: Listen guys, Tinubu was Powerful, when he was in Power. Right now, he is powerless, except power has been redefined. My Critics will disagree, not because I am wrong, but because their duty is to just disagree with me, they will even disagree if I say that Tinubu is a human being. That being said, I need to add that personal powers can be gained by obeying the salient laws of power, which ofcourse is akin to popularity command and not really power.

Tinubu is popular in the South West, not really powerful. He was able to use 'Political Power' to accrue wealth and create political connections which creates an envelope of power illusion around him, it is simply a mirage. He indeed is powerless but tries as much as he can to create propaganda themes which hypnotizes his ignorant disciples. An illusion they misconstrue for power.

S

E

N

S

E

L

E

S

S
Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by OurYansh: 11:08pm On Apr 02, 2013
Billyonaire: Listen guys, Tinubu was Powerful, when he was in Power. Right now, he is powerless, except power has been redefined. My Critics will disagree, not because I am wrong, but because their duty is to just disagree with me, they will even disagree if I say that Tinubu is a human being. That being said, I need to add that personal powers can be gained by obeying the salient laws of power, which ofcourse is akin to popularity command and not really power.

S

E

N

S

E

L

E

S

S

cheesy

1 Like

Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by Nobody: 11:09pm On Apr 02, 2013
Our Yansh:

S

E

N

S

E
Corrected! Your brain is in your head, locate it, and use it.

1 Like

Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by Nobody: 11:12pm On Apr 02, 2013
Sweetlemon:
Lol!
Some people ehn!
Just because they don't like someone or because the person is not from their part of the world, they will close their eyes to anything worth admiring. Nigerians and sentiments ehn!
Tufia!

I don't know why it is so hard for some people to give credit when and where it is due. Doing just that will make their third leg shrink I suppose undecided. Strangely enough, I don't care for the man at all but I do respect him for many reasons.

1 Like

Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by AjanleKoko: 11:38pm On Apr 02, 2013
It's hard to say that Tinubu is powerful. Financially, he's definitely powerful. He's also managed to get the chunk of the SW 'elite' on his payroll.

It just goes to show how far down the well of ignoble leadership we have sunk in Nigeria. The polity is held hostage by robber barons, frauds, and tricksters. All principles are thrown out of the window, and the popular psyche is so badly bruised that any kind of 'development' is acceptable and praised.

But then, when you look the other way and what you see is the bunch of rapacious criminals known as PDP, what choice is there? embarassed When you take that in, you have to admit that Jagaban is way ahead of the rest of the criminal mor.ons currently dotting Nigeria's political landscape

2 Likes

Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by omonnakoda: 12:08am On Apr 03, 2013
How did Tinubu become so powerful?
I heard he joined Nairaland and spent a lot of time there.Eventually after many years online he was nominated to be a leader of men.

1 Like

Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by shuddyy: 12:08am On Apr 03, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
"his ACN currently"

So you agree with those who call ACN Tinubu's property?
That is why I call it imaginary powers. When more former governors and new generation of ACN governors emerge, there'll be internal power play within the party that'll dislodge that imaginary powers.
You keep talking about 'when.....' while we discussing now. Surely, nothing last forever - even you won't! All I can see is you trying so hard to impress it on your mind that Tinubu is not power but your conscience is whispering in affirmative.
Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by AjanleKoko: 12:11am On Apr 03, 2013
omonnakoda: How did Tinubu become so powerful?
I heard he joined Nairaland and spent a lot of time there.Eventually after many years online he was nominated to be a leader of men.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by 7lives: 12:18am On Apr 03, 2013
Sweetlemon:
Can you imagine?! A whole president sending a jet to pick one man. As in see swagger!!!!
Wow!!!!!
I learnt something today. Which is that whatever you do, do it so well and so differently that you stand out fron your peers. Also, always learn the tricks/ropes of every game you play

Very smart of you, now rush to the nearest book shop and get yourself a copy of MY LIFE IN MAFIA, BY VINCENT THERESA.
Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by 7lives: 12:30am On Apr 03, 2013
politician: Tinubu saw the lacuna in the power-grabbing structure of Nigeria and explored it!!

1)By retiring the old horses in AG/AD, he paved way for young folks to come to mainstream politics in SW...even obasanjo said it while presenting Gbenga Daniel vs osoba.

2) You can't lead a rebellion and still partake in governance...he understands this rule, hence the godfather mantra..if tinubu should contest for any elective post, he is done for...

3)the principle of meritocracy as against democracy in party candidature is also his strong point.. forget the sharing of rice every week oooo, ACN is the party that gives you a chance based on competency and loyalty..no room for gerontocrats

i remember caravan telling elders in oyo at Drovans that ...... only dogs of this age can chase rabbits of this age...

aye wetie ti lo ooooo.. aye awon omowe ni a wa!!

hence present your sons and daughters that are educated..

And can hardly presents candidates without in-built back up plan, once u don't remit, no second term.

Tinbu matches pdp money for money, thug for thug and rigging for rigging..

he clearly marks his territory and makes his subjects believes that their view thus count..

like DK said, better candidate who has proven their mettle and thus always deliver...bobo fash and now..jimmy boy (yes jimi agbaje, forget all dos banire noise, the blueprint is on already).

finally, jagaban told ganiyu Solomon to forget minority leader and the former governor of benue was given the post to strengthen ACN in north central...that's how he operates..

and he knows his limit, and never forget the streets where majority of the votes come from...

hence he loves slogans...

Jeun soke!!! chop up..

eni to ba bawa jeun soke, a jeun sapo...
if u follow us chop up, u go chop for pocket..
grin

Gba won sonu!!!
pinrin ko si oshi, ara won no oshi wa..

sloganeering for the streets, educated candidates for the elites..
rough politics for the opponents... recipe of a good opposition leader..

CORRECTAMUNDO,ori e pe, o wake up.
Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by maclatunji: 12:33am On Apr 03, 2013
idupaul:

You don't know Nigerians yet , when de can't eat from U they bail to the next source .. Tinubu's current heroism started in 1999 by becoming Governor of Nigerias most prosperous state and is still on just because he has a loyal stooge as governor in the person of Fashola .. By the time an ingrate enters Lagos govt House Tinubu will just become irrelevant like Orji UZor Kalu in Abia overnite

That is the thing about Tinubu, he holds most of the aces. Controls the House of Assemblies and uses them to counterbalance ACN governors.
Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by 7lives: 12:48am On Apr 03, 2013
Lamasta: Stop abusing the word *POWERFUL* how will a THIEF be tagged powerful? A man that don't believe in democracy how can He be called a Powerful Man, As far as am concerned there is no democracy in ACN, they only choose candidates not elect candidates and you tell me that a leader of that party is powerful mtchew....

So what should we call those who rigged an election.
Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by soloyes(m): 1:16am On Apr 03, 2013
jmoore: Fear Tinubu, for what?
Even a brutal dictator like Hitler was powerful.
One can be powerful through a crooked way.
What is the positive influence of tinubu's "power"?

When politicians like tinubu loot the treasury of the state they have lost their respect.
lost their respect but have an ever increasing hold on the polity abi! That u don't like him does affect him. The man is indeed a political gladiator that have left even baba himself startled.
Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by Mogidi: 1:40am On Apr 03, 2013
Still the biggest crook the S west can boast of.
Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by musiwa20: 1:48am On Apr 03, 2013
you can see also that they turn of the light on Goodluck yesterday too. he started laughing...

who as God made the most powerful person.. Musiwa.

who is the prime minister again... Musiwa family.

Can the world now listen top me..

nigeria will end up in civil war.
Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by Nobody: 2:36am On Apr 03, 2013
Join my blog site www.leystradamus..com where you find anything you are looking for Be it News, Educative materials, sports and so on... Your comments will also be needed there...
Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by birdman(m): 2:48am On Apr 03, 2013
kolexy:

Are you this ignorant, or ur just shying from the truth. Kayode Fayemi was a popular pro-democracy activist. He was the coordinator of Radio Kudirat.¥ Ajumobi was CEO of Conoil, and later a Senator. Amosun is a Fellow of Ican FCA and a former senator. He was the 1 who introduced Gbenga Daniel top Obasanjo. The only person Tinubu made is Rauf Aregbesola of Osun.

Even Aregbesola was self made. He has spent significant time in jail, being a thorn to state powers.
Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by CyberG: 3:00am On Apr 03, 2013
Let the objective reader pay attention: give credit where and when it is due. I am not a Tinubu fan, just like no fan of most of the politicians in Nigeria BUT Tinubu deserves a lot of credit! Yes, you can also give some credit to his team (whoever they are), it is not easy to create something from nothing and that is what exactly he has done!

Now, watch closely, most of the people who are still castigating him here have NO leaders from their corner of the country. Since 1999, For 14 years, none of their governors have created anything for Nigerians to look to, talk about or draw any kind of hope from! For them, it is all about where the money will come from : PDP! I don't mean to be harsh but the most celebrated, albeit ridiculous, 'leader' of the iboz, who are the majority in casting aspersions on Tinubu here, Ojuku, never won any election all his life since he was granted amnesty to return to Nigeria! This is in reality the only 'leader' in iboland but in the West and North, there have been leaders, who have pulled their weight creditably and the weight of Nigeria. While Chief Awolowo will remain a colossus, Tinubu is doing a great job and hope he accomplishes greatly to have his place in history. It will be extremely gratifying if he were to be able to keep showing up talented and trained leadership like Fashola, plus many others who are forming a pool of leadership candidates like Oshiomole, Fayemi, Aregbesola, Amosu, Ajimobi and co who I hope can help build a promise of a better tomorrow for their people and Nigerians at large! While the West had to start all over again in 2003 after OBJ compromised the budding AC, the next in line leader, Bola Ige, killed under his watch and 4 years later, the West is even stronger, the iboz have never built a party from the ground up like we are seeing in ACN. It is just the truth and if anyone wishes to show-up any new knowledge about some masterful politician and builder of people and parties in iboland, I am available to learn and engage in a honest debate.

3 Likes

Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by chucky234(m): 3:42am On Apr 03, 2013
First what is your definition of the word "powerful".
Tinubu is only a force to reckon with in few SW states and I don't think that's enough to have referred to him as being "powerful"since he has no control over the majority of the 36 states ....
The most power politician in Nigeria? Certainly not as OBJ calls the shot at the highest level of Nigerian politics home and abroad and nothing moves without OBJ's input,Tinubu controls Lagos and few SW governors along few SW senators but OBJ remains a king maker as he decides who become the president and who doesn't.
Tinubu still pays homage to OBJ as egbon and baba agba of Nigerian politics and that's because OBJ is the only politician alive that can tame IBB,Buhari,Abdulsalam,and the other big egos we have around,Tinubu is still a puppet before those stakeholder of Nigeria politics.
Tinubu became a force in SW by looting Lagos dried and eliminating Funsho Williams who was a big threat to him as Funsho was loved by all for his exemplary lifestyle and Tinubu was quick to perceived the danger Funsho's presence posed to his political ambition and his quest to take control of Lagos.
Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by chucky234(m): 3:56am On Apr 03, 2013
CyberG: Let the objective reader pay attention: give credit where and when it is due. I am not a Tinubu fan, just like no fan of most of the politicians in Nigeria BUT Tinubu deserves a lot of credit! Yes, you can also give some credit to his team (whoever they are), it is not easy to create something from nothing and that is what exactly he has done!

Now, watch closely, most of the people who are still castigating him here have NO leaders from their corner of the country. Since 1999, For 14 years, none of their governors have created anything for Nigerians to look to, talk about or draw any kind of hope from! For them, it is all about where the money will come from : PDP! I don't mean to be harsh but the most celebrated, albeit ridiculous, 'leader' of the iboz, who are the majority in casting aspersions on Tinubu here, Ojuku, never won any election all his life since he was granted amnesty to return to Nigeria! This is in reality the only 'leader' in iboland but in the West and North, there have been leaders, who have pulled their weight creditably and the weight of Nigeria. While Chief Awolowo will remain a colossus, Tinubu is doing a great job and hope he accomplishes greatly to have his place in history. It will be extremely gratifying if he were to be able to keep showing up talented and trained leadership like Fashola, plus many others who are forming a pool of leadership candidates like Oshiomole, Fayemi, Aregbesola, Amosu, Ajimobi and co who I hope can help build a promise of a better tomorrow for their people and Nigerians at large! While the West had to start all over again in 2003 after OBJ compromised the budding AC, the next in line leader, Bola Ige, killed under his watch and 4 years later, the West is even stronger, the iboz have never built a party from the ground up like we are seeing in ACN. It is just the truth and if anyone wishes to show-up any new knowledge about some masterful politician and builder of people and parties in iboland, I am available to learn and engage in a honest debate.
After ranting and banting you ended up not making a single point,what a waste.
Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by femiero: 4:30am On Apr 03, 2013
So all the S/W governors, senators, House of Rep members are all Tinubu's relatives shey? If you have exhausted your rational thinking supply, borrow from your neighbor.

ITbomb: Worse than the PDP godfathers, making sure only his relative gets into elective positions and hand picking a governor without regards to the votes of the people.
Is that Power?

1 Like

Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by CyberG: 4:34am On Apr 03, 2013
chucky234: After ranting and banting you ended up not making a single point,what a waste.

LOL...retardeens cannot find a point either in a single line post, 10 lines or a million! You know where you belong! grin grin
Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by ddeola: 4:37am On Apr 03, 2013
Corruption and paddy paddy, the same way IBB,OBJ and the rest of them made their money

1 Like

Re: How Did Tinubu Become So Powerful? by larpah(m): 4:49am On Apr 03, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: Tinubu appears "powerful" only in certain people's imagination. He's only enjoying the status of being the ONLY former governor in ACN at the moment. When more former governors emerge and as new generation of ACN governors emerge in ACN, Tinubu's imaginary powers will fade away.

However, one thing is not in doubt. Tinubu has used his position as the face of the opposition to build an empire of wealth for HIMSELF, perhaps in anticipation of when his political influence will wane.

OBJ lost out in his battle with Tinubu for the soul of southwest because OBJ was too silly that he NEVER reckoned with PERFORMANCE as a parameter for choosing his foot solders and putting people in positions of authority. While OBJ was using federal might to put people in positions of authority, the only parameter that was on his mind was loyalty. On the other hand, Tinubu was wise enough to consider both loyalty and PERFORMANCE. That made all the difference.
Dude, have you heard of segun osoba, bisi akande, niyi adebayo, chris ngige and george akume? They are all former govenors and they are acn members.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Ambode Inaugurates Neighborhood Safety Corps Agency (photo) / 2019: New PDP Meets Buhari, Osinbajo Today, Reveals What Will Happen / Who Is Sick Between Buhari Supporters And Atiku Supporters? - Dele Momodu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.