Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,540 members, 7,827,015 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:24 AM

This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. (93954 Views)

Captured On Our Streets By A Foreign Lens, Images that shamed Britain !!!! / Britain Gives The Go Ahead To Murder Ghaddafi / Should Great Britain Hand Back The Falklands Over To Argentina (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (157) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 11:55pm On Apr 03, 2013
adaobi123:
Arrrgghhhh my life. cry
Really ? That is a lot.

American education is expensive!! grin

1 Like

Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 11:55pm On Apr 03, 2013
adaobi123:
$200 ? is that it ?

Yes. I took out the $200 loan just to pay for some books and other stuff, because my grants arrived late sometime ago.
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 11:56pm On Apr 03, 2013
shymexx:

That's an American thing, we don't get that here in the UK...

That's why you should come over to US. If a brilliant student can not get scholarship, then UK is over hyped. There is nothing there.
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 11:56pm On Apr 03, 2013
Prof Corruption:

I can't tell if you are dull. I was just explaining that a brilliant student shouldn't bother whining about debt. There are many scholarships for the gifted.
University scholarships still don't help anyways, some are quite useless in my opinion. Most universities only take off £1000.
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 11:57pm On Apr 03, 2013
CFCfan:

Yeah, there are so many scholarships in America. But they are really competitive though.

However, you can easily get them if you're gifted.. or through sports...
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 11:58pm On Apr 03, 2013
CFCfan:

Yes. I took out the $200 loan just to pay for some books and other stuff, because my grants arrived late sometime ago.
Ohh okay. What do you study ?
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 11:58pm On Apr 03, 2013
payless:

I live in North Carolina. It is not easy anywhere in the U.S either. I paid $238 for gas and $79 dollars for elecricity for the month of March alone. Some times, I pay more than that. Water is $17 per month. If you want to live well, you have to pay well. That is the difference when compared to Nigeria. It is just not easy paying all these bills whether you are in Britain or U.S. What about day care for two kids? Add $230X2 per week for two kids.

I meant the cost of living differs amongst American states/cities. For instance, a couple earning $200,000, and taking care of 3 kids will definitely struggle to live in Manhattan; whereas the opposite is the case in Montana or Washington State.
Prof Corruption:

That's why you should come over to US. If a brilliant student can not get scholarship, then UK is over hyped. There is nothing there.

But you can't compare the standard of University education in the UK with America... The standard is pretty high and it's worth the price...

1 Like

Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:00am On Apr 04, 2013
shymexx:

However, you can easily get them if you're gifted.. or through sports...

The bolded is really crucial in America. Student-athletes are a lucky set of kids. In recent years, some people have been clamouring for such students to be paid monthly stipends in addition to the scholarship they receive.
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:00am On Apr 04, 2013
CFCfan:

I meant the cost of living differs amongst American states/cities. For instance, a[b] couple earning $200,000, and taking care of 3 kids will definitely struggle to live in Manhattan;[/b] whereas the opposite is the case in Montana or Washington State.

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked Blimey!!
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:01am On Apr 04, 2013
adaobi123:
Ohh okay. What do you study ?
Political science, as an undergrad degree. I'm planning on enrolling in a Law school by the last quarter of 2014.
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:01am On Apr 04, 2013
CFCfan:

I meant the cost of living differs amongst American states/cities. For instance, a couple earning $200,000, and taking care of 3 kids will definitely struggle to live in Manhattan; whereas the opposite is the case in Montana or Washington State.
Really ??
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:02am On Apr 04, 2013
shymexx:

But you can't compare the standard of University education in the UK with America... The standard is pretty high and it's worth the price...

How did you arrive at that conclusion?
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:02am On Apr 04, 2013
CFCfan:
Political science, as an undergrad degree. I'm planning on enrolling in a Law school by the last quarter of 2014.
Cool. Good on ya smiley
CFCfan:

The bolded is really crucial in America. Student-athletes are a lucky set of kids. In recent years, some people have been clamouring for such students to be paid monthly stipends in addition to the scholarship they receive.

I think they should be paid as well... Those kids generate billions of dollars for the NCAA and their colleges, yet they don't get paid for it...
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:03am On Apr 04, 2013
adaobi123:
Really ??

If u factor in the cost of primary and post-primary education and college, plus the bills and taxes that have to be paid; there will be barely enough money for savings.
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by bebe2(f): 12:04am On Apr 04, 2013
I can't go to Nigeria becos I have young children grin

I cant go to America becos I have young children cheesy

My mum is not in the uk

As for the tv license, dat's my oga's biggest pain. He pays it by direct debit.
There are pple dat will never open their front door for fear of tv license people grin
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:04am On Apr 04, 2013
CFCfan:

If u factor in the cost of primary and post-primary education and college, plus the bills and taxes that have to be paid; there will be barely enough money for savings.
Ohhh dear. That's bad
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:05am On Apr 04, 2013
shymexx:

I think they should be paid as well... Those kids generate billions of dollars for the NCAA and their colleges, yet they don't get paid it...

I know, right. But opponents of that idea claim that it may detract from the original purpose of attending a university- which is to gain an education.

Personally, I'm in favor of paying them a slice of the billions of $ which the NCAA generates.
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:05am On Apr 04, 2013
bebe2: I can't go to Nigeria becos I have young children grin

My mum is not in the uk

There are pple dat will never open their front door for fear of tv license people grin
LOOOOOOOL grin grin grin
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:06am On Apr 04, 2013
payless:

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

That's the truth... I was lucky to have some American students on scholarship in my class whilst I was in uni - and they believe the same thing as well... UK education is widely believed to be the best in the world...

2 Likes

Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:06am On Apr 04, 2013

My mum is not in the uk

Lol. I heard that the tv License fee funds the BBC. How true is that?
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:07am On Apr 04, 2013

My mum is not in the uk

[size=14pt]As for the tv license, dat's my oga's biggest pain. He pays it by direct debit.
[/size]

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Channel 1 - 5 piss-takers! undecided
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:08am On Apr 04, 2013
CFCfan:

Most of those athletes are thugs with no brain. I was in the same class with many of those athletes on several occasions when I was in college but few of them were good enough academically. They normally sit at the back of the classroom. They ask no question, contribute nothing in the class. They only go to school to play sports. Imagine giving them $90,000 scholarship for four year program and they end up spending a year or two in college before leaving to play pro sports. Whereas, many students are there looking for money to pay for college.
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:09am On Apr 04, 2013
shymexx:

That's the truth... I was lucky to have some American students on scholarship in my class whilst I was in uni - and they believe the same thing as well... UK education is widely believed to be the best in the world...

That's strange because one can never complete a Bachelors degree in the U.S. within 3 years. it's usually between 4-5 years. This is due to the fact that most U.S. schools emphasize general education. For instance, as a Political science student, I've had to take some courses in the pure sciences and a foreign language course (Spanish).

I guess the UK lecturers are very strict in their exam marking.
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by dayokanu(m): 12:09am On Apr 04, 2013
Whats a TV license?

What of if you dont have a TV and stream using your Computer?

2 Likes

Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:10am On Apr 04, 2013
CFCfan:

I know, right. But opponents of that idea claim that it may detract from the original purpose of attending a university- which is to gain an education.

Personally, I'm in favor of paying them a slice of the billions of $ which the NCAA generates.

Word...

Most of them risk their careers to generate money for the NCAA and their colleges... and giving them a cut from the huge revenue won't be a bad idea, to be honest... They deserve it...
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:11am On Apr 04, 2013
dayokanu: Whats a TV license?

What of if you dont have a TV and stream using your Computer?

TV license is for channel 1-5... As long as you watch those channels, you have to pay the TV license...
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:12am On Apr 04, 2013
payless:

Most of those athletes are thugs with no brain. I was in the same class with many of those athletes on several occasions when I was in college but few of them were good enough academically. The normally sit at the back of the classroom. They ask no question, contribute nothing in the class. They only go to school to play sports. Imagine giving them $90,000 scholarship for four year program and they end up spending a year on two in college before leaving to play pro sports. Whereas, many students are there looking for money to pay for college.

That's true. In fact, 98% of these student-athletes who go on to have professional careers are male, while the rest are female. Female student athletes are more likely to pursue a non-sporting career.

1 Like

Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:13am On Apr 04, 2013
shymexx:

TV license is for channel 1-5... As long as you watch those channels, you have to pay the TV license...

Are those cable/satellite channels? if not, why do u guys have to pay the tv license?
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by Nobody: 12:13am On Apr 04, 2013
CFCfan:

That's strange because one can never complete a Bachelors degree in the U.S. within 3 years. it's usually between 4-5 years. This is due to the fact that most U.S. schools emphasize general education. For instance, as a Political science student, I've had to take some courses in the pure sciences and a foreign language course (Spanish).

I guess the UK lecturers are very strict in their exam marking.

Imagine 126 credits before graduating. 60 credits alone on General Education.
Re: This God Forsaken Country Called BRITAIN. by bebe2(f): 12:13am On Apr 04, 2013
CFCfan:
Lol. I heard that the tv License fee funds the BBC. How true is that?

So they said o, but u still have to pay for sky satellite. I can comfortably live without the BBC but u can't opt out.

The moment u think, hey. I have £5k, thank God o, the next morning one better postman go land u bill wey go collect all the money. The thing don tire me o

I no come dis country con look london bridge o angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (157) (Reply)

"It Means I Won" - Trump Reacts To Georgian Governor's Tweet / Two Kenyan Government Staff In Sex Act. Photo Goes Viral / This Picture Will Change Your View About Obama

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.