Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,598 members, 7,816,488 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:52 AM

Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? (36308 Views)

10 Practical Ways To Battle Sexual Temptation In A Christian's Life / Things That A Christian Shouldn't Buy Or Sell / Is It Right for a Christian to Expose False Prophets and False Teaching ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Nobody: 11:50am On May 12, 2013
na2day!:
Any group of people that hides under the veil of ethnicity and religion to chose their leaders instead of competence are doomed!
Religion or tribe is inconsequential so far, the development that people wants to see is apparent!
I'd rather make sheik makthoum, the sheik of Dubai the president of Nigeria, if he will make Nigeria like Dubai (FYI, many of our brothers, especially from the east are there hustling and they are not complaining about the religion), rather than Good luck Jonathan whose destiny is to make Nigeria , another somalia

My point is this: religion and ethnicity does not matter, in as much as the development we crave is there for all to see !

@ the bolded might be right in a sane country. However, in a country like Nigeria where there's stiff competition among all the groups and where people tribalise almost everything - ethnicity does matter. Losing your most prized and strategic asset would be disastrous and you may never recover from that. Sometimes, you need to keep certain things "in-house" to maintain your identity. Certain things are just non-negotiable when you live within an environment such as Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by nduchucks: 11:53am On May 12, 2013
This is quite interesting. In an ideal situation, it is easy to say that religion does not matter, but we all know that there is nothing ideal about the Nigerian condition.

Nigerians will support politicians who have performed better than their underperforming counterparts, be they governors, senators, or presidents, as long as the performing poitician has shown some progress. This is the reason why the likes of Ibori enjoyed the support of his people despite the fact that he robbed them blind. His people will quickly tell you that Ibori's achievements are there for all to see. What nonsense.

Things to ponder:

SW leaders have been talking about these items as part of the plan for regional integration of the SW, Ogbeni Aregbesola may emerge as the successor to Jagaban Borgu, Tinubu, as the next SW leader. To this end Aregbe has been preaching to those who listen closely to him.

(1)He is calling for "Regional Integration" where all of the south west act as a single political and economic entity.

(2)He wants all state governments in the SW to adopt his plan for regional integration and establish Ministries for Regional Integration.

(3)In this new integrated SW, Lagos will be the economic nerve center.

This plan is apparently itemized in his so-called green book, a document which some say is patterned after Ghaddafi's Green Book.

Why is this document a secret document? If someone has the document, lets have a link to it. What kind of leaders will have a grand plan that is a secret to its constituents? SMH

The fact that this document is a 'secret' enables critics to claim that it is part of a plan to Islamize the SW since a majority of the SW governors(past and present) including Tinubu are muslims.

2 Likes

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by asorocker: 12:07pm On May 12, 2013
The yoruba Christians in the South west Nigeria are still in their deep sleep , people should not disturb their sleep , very soon they will wake up when their day breaks by then it will be too late to revers what their ignorance has cost them and the rest of Nigerians will echo to them Good Morning

Meanwhile Good morning Niger Deltans and Middle belterns and Good afternoon Igbos of the South East. it is Mid day in igbo land you people who are in mid day should shine your eye well well for 2015

1 Like

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by sleekdot(m): 12:12pm On May 12, 2013
asorocker: The yoruba Christians in the South west Nigeria are still in their deep sleep , people should not disturb their sleep , very soon they will wake up when their day breaks by then it will be too late to revers what their ignorance has cost them and the rest of Nigerians will echo to them Good Morning

Meanwhile Good morning Niger Deltans and Middle belterns and Good afternoon Igbos of the South East. it is Mid day in igbo land you people who are in mid day should shine your eye well well for 2015

Why would you bother about SW Christians who produced Sir Michael Otedola as Lagos state governor.

Stop taking panadol for other headache and face your caves where nothing significant happens

When would an Osu be allowed to rule in your cave

12 Likes

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by sleekdot(m): 12:13pm On May 12, 2013
asorocker:

The igbos rushing to Lagos to do Import /Export Maritime Business and setting up Business will be rushing to the East very soon after the construction of deep sea ports in Ibaka, Calabar and Bayelsa , so just be alittle bit patient with them.

And is it the deep SAND port that is chasing them to Kano?

Leeches

5 Likes

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Mogidi: 12:35pm On May 12, 2013
sleekdot:

Why would you bother about SW Christians who produced Sir Michael Otedola as Lagos state governor.

Apart from Otedola name me another democratically elected christian governor of Lagos state. Its impossible for a christian to rule Lagos.
Alhaji Obafemi Awolowo was not a muslim or was he?
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by BrosPeter: 12:38pm On May 12, 2013
Mogidi:

Apart from Otedola name me another democratically elected christian governor of Lagos state. Its impossible for a christian to rule Lagos.

is not Alhaji Awolowo it is chief Obafemi Awolowo please get your fact from the aproprate place.

3 Likes

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Mogidi: 12:39pm On May 12, 2013
Bros Peter:

is not Alhaji Awolowo it is chief Obafemi Awolowo please get your fact from the aproprate place.

How about you getting some English lessons from the appropriate place?

1 Like

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by naptu2: 12:40pm On May 12, 2013
Mogidi:

The question is, how does christianity or islam provide clean drinking water, good roads, good healthcare service, security, rail services, etc. Lagosians are not bigots. Lagosians are much too sophisticated for that. When we vote we ask ourselves, how will this candidate make our lives better? The candidate's religion is his personal affair. It will not give us good roads or good schools.

9 Likes

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Mogidi: 12:46pm On May 12, 2013
naptu2:

The question is, how does christianity or islam provide clean drinking water, good roads, good healthcare service, security, rail services, etc. Lagosians are not bigots. Lagosians are much too sophisticated for that. When we vote we ask ourselves, how will this candidate make our lives better? The candidate's religion is his personal affair. It will not give us good roads or good schools.

Same with ethnicity, how would it affect the citizens if a non indigene rules over them as long as he provides the above? This is Nigeria where Religion and Ethnicity plays a big part in who governs.

To reduce the importance of religion or ethnicity is only to score cheap political point and you know it.

1 Like

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by naptu2: 12:53pm On May 12, 2013
Mogidi:

Same with ethnicity, how would it affect the citizens if a non indigene rules over them as long as he provides the above? This is Nigeria where Religion and Ethnicity plays a big part in who governs.

To reduce the importance of religion or ethnicity is only to score cheap political point and you know it.

Exactly! What matters is can he convince Lagosians that he is the best candidate and that he can improve their lives? Lagos has had elected and appointed public officials from different religions and ethnicities. The question is not what religion/ethnicity are they from, but can they deliver?

By the way, I'd love to know your definition of indigene.
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by naptu2: 1:00pm On May 12, 2013
Mogidi:

Again you are introducing religion and bigotry into the equation. The question is not "what is his religion?" rather it is "can he deliver?"

Sir Otedola is christian. The churches had been campaigning for the return of mission schools to their previous owners. Sir Otedola did not grant this request. Tinubu is a muslim, but he returned all mission schools to the churches and even paid the school fees of students that were admitted to the schools when they were public schools.

It's not about religion, it's about your policies. It's about whether people believe you can deliver. It's about whether the people have confidence in you.

3 Likes

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Mogidi: 1:05pm On May 12, 2013
naptu2:

Again you are introducing religion and bigotry into the equation. The question is not "what is his religion?" rather it is "can he deliver?"

Sir Otedola is christian. The churches had been campaigning for the return of mission schools to their previous owners. Sir Otedola did not grant this request. Tinubu is a muslim, but he returned all mission schools to the churches and even paid the school fees of students that were admitted to the schools when they were public schools.

It's not about religion, it's about your policies. It's about whether people believe you can deliver. It's about whether the people have confidence in you.

I see you refused to answer the crux of the matter. If religion and ethnicity plays no part, would you naptu2 allow an Igbo man to rule Lagos?
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Nobody: 1:10pm On May 12, 2013
Mogidi:

I see you refused to answer the crux of the matter. If religion and ethnicity plays no part, would you naptu2 allow an Igbo man to rule Lagos?

What do you mean by "allow Igbo man to rule Lagos"? We don't just give power to someone to rule us. It is through elections. Election is not about someone handing it to you. If an Igbo man qualifies to stand for election in Lagos, why not? Your thinking is the reason why we have not had an Igbo man elected as President. You always believe someone should just hand it to you on silver platter.

19 Likes

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by dayokanu(m): 1:14pm On May 12, 2013
Has any Lagos indegene complained to you

7 Likes

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Afam4eva(m): 1:15pm On May 12, 2013
naptu2: What has religion got to do with performance? Is it islam or christianity that will build bridges, provide drinking water, ferry services, etc?

By the way, Lagos has had christian governors in the past: Sir Michael Otedola, Mike Akhigbe, Olagunsoye Oyinlola (the worst governor in the history of Lagos), Ndubuisi Kanu, etc.
Is the bolded the same guy that governed Osun state?
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by naptu2: 1:15pm On May 12, 2013
Mogidi:

Actually, the answer to that question was in the very first word I typed. The question for me would not be "is he igbo", but can he deliver? Can I trust him? Would my life be better because of his administration?

An igbo person contested the last governorship election in Lagos. The heavens did not fall. Igbo people have won elections in Lagos. The heavens did not fall. An igbo man was finance commissioner. The heavens did not fall.

However, I would not vote for a person just because he is igbo, or yoruba, or hausa, or kanuri. The question is, "what can he deliver".

13 Likes

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by naptu2: 1:18pm On May 12, 2013
Afam4eva:
Is the bolded the same guy that governed Osun state?

Yes. He was military governor between 1993-1996. His regime was characterised by inaction. For the first time in my life I saw monster potholes on Awolowo Road. His excuse was "no bitumen". So I nicknamed his administration "no bitumen".

5 Likes

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Nobody: 1:21pm On May 12, 2013
naptu2:

Yes. He was military governor between 1993-1996. His regime was characterised by inaction. For the first time in my life I saw monster potholes on Awolowo Road. His excuse was "no bitumen". So I nicknamed his administration "no bitumen".

Oyinlola was there as a military Governor between 1993 and 1996 during Abacha regime. Tinubu was there between 1999 and 2007.
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by KnowAll(m): 1:21pm On May 12, 2013
When is Lagos State going to give that Igbo boy a chance. Akabusi has served both Tinubu and Fashola for 16 years now. Probably making him a deputy Governor would move votes en-mass towards ACN or APC. That is a food for thought! undecided
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Mogidi: 1:22pm On May 12, 2013
naptu2:

Actually, the answer to that question was in the very first word I typed. The question for me would not be "is he igbo", but can he deliver? Can I trust him? Would my life be better because of his administration?

An igbo person contested the last governorship election in Lagos. The heavens did not fall. Igbo people have won elections in Lagos. The heavens did not fall. An igbo man was finance commissioner. The heavens did not fall.

However, I would not vote for a person just because he is igbo, or yoruba, or hausa, or kanuri. The question is, "what can he deliver".

Well am going to leave you to live with your illusion that tribe or religion does not matter to an average Nigerian during elections.
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by emmatok(m): 1:23pm On May 12, 2013
shymexx:

That's what most of them don't know. Islam was prominent amongst Yoruba's way before Christianity and Uthman Dan Fodio. And a lot of Yoruba Muslim scholars schooled In Timbuktu under the tutelage of Baba Ahmed, when Songhai reigned supreme in West Africa.

I have been supporting your post until you. MMade the comment above.

Are saying that Yoruba Muslims are superior to Yoruba Christians.

Go check the history of the Yorubas you will always find great Christians.

Please don't allow these peeps pollute us with their religious views.

2 Likes

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Nobody: 1:23pm On May 12, 2013
KnowAll: When is Lagos State going to give that Igbo boy a chance. Akabusi has served both Tinubu and Fashola for 16 years now. Probably making him a deputy Governor would move votes en-mass towards ACN or APC. That is a food for thought! undecided

Nobody needs to hand him the Governor's seat. He needs to contest and beat every other contestants. All these "allow him to rule" is nonsense.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Restoration Of Manhood By Prophet Jeremiah Omoto Fufeyin - Pictures / Man Runs Towards Moroccan King's Car During Motorcade With Pope Francis / That Moment In Church When You Dance Like King David.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.