Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,494 members, 7,816,176 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:05 AM

Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? (36302 Views)

10 Practical Ways To Battle Sexual Temptation In A Christian's Life / Things That A Christian Shouldn't Buy Or Sell / Is It Right for a Christian to Expose False Prophets and False Teaching ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Nobody: 4:39pm On May 12, 2013
The first governor, Gen. Mobalaji Johnson is a christian. Other military governors like Olagunsoye Oyinlola and Ndubusi Kanu are christians.
A moslem ruling Lagos State has no difference with any christian governor ruling any state. Yoruba moslems have little or no difference with christians. Tinubu and Fashola sometimes worship in churches. Their wives are christians.

5 Likes

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by lakesider(m): 4:39pm On May 12, 2013
ops of nairaland are tribalistic and religion extremist .y not be plain in ur topics.y course religious crisis .ban me if u wan to

1 Like

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Dam02: 4:39pm On May 12, 2013
This guy will ever regret posting this topic.

1 Like

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Gamji007: 4:42pm On May 12, 2013
pistol:

The are always quick to point out that d governors have xtian wives and I always laugh within me as this lie continue to hold sway.
in case u don't know,this is a political strategy to win the votes of majority xtians in the state..
If ur religion permits you to marry four wives,for variety sake,y not get an infidel among them not that the governors really love them and in most cases,the are closet muslims.
Those wives don't know that the are pawns being used to play games..smh for them.

How can Nigeria move forward when we have people with this kind of mind set?

Any hope for nija?

2 Likes

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by killuminati(m): 4:54pm On May 12, 2013
krendo:

you can abuse me all you like but in 2015 the people of Lagos will question why only a certain religion produce the Governors in Lagos. It is a legitimate political question to ask. There is no need being abusive about it.

If Tinubu and Fashola are so open minded and Lagos is so United then they should have a process that allows all no matter there religion to have a chance. It is called equal opportunity.

Fashola was Attorney General to Tinubu, now Hamzat is Works commissioner to Fashola. There is nothing similar about these people in terms of career path. The reason for this pattern is nothing but their religion.

These are the fact!

If Religion does not matter then lets see Fashola and Tinubu back someone from the other side.

There is no need being nepotic and then turn around to accuse others of nepotism when they call you out on it.

Lagos will vote in 2015!
come on go and sit down somewhere! That's how you people spread hatred in the land... Christian or Muslim, all we need is a performer period.. Get the phuck outa here wit bigot bs crap!

1 Like

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by coolheed: 4:58pm On May 12, 2013
I see a lot of sentiments in the OP's question and these will not enable development of Lagos. He is calling to religious intolerance, favoritism, subjective politicking and nepotism. Why should everything have religious colorations? Why? I doubt if the OP will ever employ a non-Christian if he is in a capacity to employ. He may be one of the people who adds religion in their résumé just to create a religio-sympathy for consideration regardless of professional competence. This MUST stop if we crave for growth, development and positive transformation of our society.

Who cares about your religion? That is your personal baggage. What we should be concerned about is electing the man who can deliver. Pure and simple.

1 Like

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by onyewec3: 5:02pm On May 12, 2013
Eko Atlantic:

How is it your headache? are the real Lagosians complaining?! Funny how you these immigrants leave your various villages for better life in SW and still pokenose on matters bigger than you. You people better be worried about the problems in you guys thick villages.

If that's the case, when is an abdul... Or an alhaji going to govern any eatsern state?

Was surprised wen u brought d issue of eastern state n who tell u dat we have religion diversity as u does in ur yoruba land ehn fool?the east has no issue with religion because 99.99999999% of igbos are christians so what d hell is it about abdul or alhaji cos we virtually have non in dat class to govern any eastern state
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by onyewec3: 5:05pm On May 12, 2013
Bt for me I have no issue with any religion type ruling lagos.wat am interested in is who governs well....

But as human we can also ask questions like "what's wrong with fashola supporting someone from other religion" since he n his oga @ d top (tinubu) are both muslims..like I said,as human dese kind of questions can arise
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by lateef4me(m): 5:09pm On May 12, 2013
I'm fine with any candidate that can really perform than Fashola,not to Tinubu's pocket but for the interest of the people !
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Nobody: 5:11pm On May 12, 2013
Afam4eva:
Are you sure? cos i heard majority of Lagos indigene are Muslims.

I was born a Christian, and was baptised twice(Anglican and RCCG)...

Parents and siblings are devoted Christians.. grin

I'm not just really on the religion thing, but I tick "Christian" in everything... wink
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Gbawe: 5:16pm On May 12, 2013
coolheed: I see a lot of sentiments in the OP's question and these will not enable development of Lagos. He is calling to religious intolerance, favoritism, subjective politicking and nepotism. Why should everything have religious colorations? Why? I doubt if the OP will ever employ a non-Christian if he is in a capacity to employ. He may be one of the people who adds religion in their résumé just to create a religio-sympathy for consideration regardless of professional competence. This MUST stop if we crave for growth, development and positive transformation of our society.

Who cares about your religion? That is your personal baggage. What we should be concerned about is electing the man who can deliver. Pure and simple.

Well-said and I don't understand how some are comfortable displaying prejudice so openly. Any sensible person will realize it is commendable how the SW prove that different religions can live side by side in peace if people eschew the prejudice and ignorant phobia the OP and others display proudly. More Nigerians simply need to live and let live instead of going around judging everything and everyone.

1 Like

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by seunny4lif(m): 5:21pm On May 12, 2013
shymexx: ^^^^Who cares if the governor is Muslim, Hindu, Pagan, or whatnot?

As long as the person is Yoruba and indigenous to the state, Lagosians will support him/her.

You lot need to take your religious bs away from Lagos; most people from there have Muslims, Christians, and Traditionalists in their families. undecided undecided undecided
I tried for them oooo becos na so so problem dem dey look for?SW no send u maybe na jesus pikin or na mohammad pikin as long as the person sabi governor well....All SW former govs under PDP na wetin dem be?But wetin dem do......

1 Like

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Gbawe: 5:22pm On May 12, 2013
shymexx:

I was born a Christian, and was baptised twice(Anglican and RCCG)...

Parents and siblings are devoted Christians.. grin

I'm not just really on the religion thing, but I tick "Christian" in everything... wink

Similar here. Both parents are Anglican but I am virtually atheist. I think religion, on the whole, and in the African context, does far more harm than good. Religion should be de-emphasized and relegated to homes, Mosque and church as much as possible. Outside those places, and mingling where it should not, religion tends to be a serious menace for Africans.

4 Likes

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by seunny4lif(m): 5:24pm On May 12, 2013
bloggernaija:

Mimiko is a Muslim, his wife a practising xtian and ondo state is 99.9 % Christian .the idiot agagu was a xtian and ranks with bode George as the worst governors in the history of the state.
Sorry , we just see thing differently or should I say one of the most culturally advanced and spiritually emancipated people on the planet.even more than the American ,Europeans etc.
Even on an empty stomach, a Yoruba man will not lash out over religion.but European, Arabs and Asians lash out all the time even on a full stomach
Mimiko na xtian oooo becos na my state governor but the vice na mulism man

1 Like

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by seunny4lif(m): 5:29pm On May 12, 2013
onyewec3:

Was surprised wen u brought d issue of eastern state n who tell u dat we have religion diversity as u does in ur yoruba land ehn fool?the east has no issue with religion because 99.99999999% of igbos are christians so what d hell is it about abdul or alhaji cos we virtually have non in dat class to govern any eastern state
Then why are u complaining abt who governor SW people abi we dey complain to una....We dont have problem with anybody tht governor us as long as he is performing well...

1 Like

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by skyfall: 5:30pm On May 12, 2013
bloggernaija: A Yorubaman is a yoruba first before any other thing. Those okrika imported religion carry no weight in our region .get that in your head.Bringing it up won't make you friends either

LOL @Okrika religion.

Religion is virtually nonexistent in Lagos politics. I think these troublemakers should concern themselves with the politics of their state.
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by seunny4lif(m): 5:33pm On May 12, 2013
sleekdot:

And is it the deep SAND port that is chasing them to Kano?

Leeches
shocked shocked shockedgrin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Reference(m): 5:35pm On May 12, 2013
Dam02: This guy will ever regret posting this topic.

Why. It is a legit question that should be addressed rather than ignored or derided. There are a few places in Nigeria that were like Lagos a while ago but not so today. I think strategic thinkers will look more closely at this scenario and seek to strengthen the factors that unify the peoples of the state rather than live in assumption. The state of a nation or teritory is very important. Don't take anything for granted. The forces of division and destruction surely don't.

1 Like

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Nobody: 5:38pm On May 12, 2013
Gbawe:
Similar here. Both parents are Anglican but I am virtually atheist. I think religion, on the whole, and in the African context, does far more harm than good. Religion should be de-emphasized and relegated to homes, Mosque and church as much as possible. Outside those places, and mingling where it should not, religion tends to be a serious menace for Africans.

Religion in the African context is more of a ponzi scheme now, than anything else. All they do is collect money from willing sheeple for the lavish lifestyles of their pastors and build more Churches everywhere, rather than the essence of what the religion was created for in the first place. Despite the gazillion of Churches they've got out here, they are still creating more branches when they can put that money into good use by investing part of it, in the disadvantaged members of the Church.

Religion ran its course time ago.

7 Likes

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by caustical: 5:48pm On May 12, 2013
krendo: The Commercial capital of democratic south should not be the exclusive property of Muslim Politicians!

Fashola we are watching

If you are backing a Muslim we will question whether no christain is qualified

Bola Tinubu - Muslim
Fashola - Muslim
Hamzat - Muslim

U are so myopic in yur conclusion, and it seems U don't know yur history. What is religion of Samuel Otedola? At least do yur finding before coming to spew rubbish. Let it enter that sponge U call brain that we yorubas have advanced beyond the level of putting religious sentiments in the decisions we make.

1 Like

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by tolsmile(m): 5:50pm On May 12, 2013
krendo: http://www.osundefender.org/?p=100480

Fashola Backs Hamzat To Succeed Him As Opposition Mounts
Lagos State Governor, Babatunde Raji Fashola, SAN, is following the footsteps of his predecessor, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu by endorsing a member of his (Fashola’s) cabinet to succeed him.

Thegazellenews.com learnt exclusively that Fashola has put his weight behind the current Commissioner for Works and Infrastructure in the state, Dr Kadiri Obafemi Hamzat, to succeed him as the next governor of the state.

Just like Tinubu, Fashola was reported to have informed members of his kitchen cabinet of his decision.

His choice was reportedly borne out of the desire to have someone who understands the workings of the state to succeed him.

Hamzat was state Commissioner for Science and Technology for six years under Tinubu while he has been commissioner in the state since the advent of the Fashola administration.

He was in charge of Ministry of Science and Technology in Fashola’s first term and currently in charge of Works and Infrastructure ministry.

He is the third son of His Royal Majesty, Oba Mufutau Olatunji Hamzat, Olu of Afowowa but also the Lagos West Senatorial Disrict leader of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN).

Some members of Fashola’s cabinet have started working for the Hamzat. One of them, according to report is the state Commissioner for Rural Development, Pastor Cornelius Ojelabi.. Ojelabi, a former member of the House of Representatives was also one time chairman of Ojo Local Government and Otto-Awori Local Council Development Area (LCDA).

However, there are difficulties in the way for Fashola’s annointed candidate. In the first instance, the national leader of the ACN, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu has reportedly insisted that all governorship aspirants on the platform of the party will be given level playing ground to prove themselves in an openly conducted primary.

And in this instance, Hamzat is not seen as being a match for politicians like Senate Minority Whip, Senator Ganiyu Olanrewaju Solomon; former state Commissioner for Environment, Dr Muiz Banire and probably Senator Gbenga Ashafa who are experienced in grassroots politicking and are adept at mobilising people.

Solomon in particular is well noted for his grassroots connection and his popularity cuts across all sections of the society spread across the nook and cranny of the state.

Hamzat may also not be helped by alleged zoning of the party’s governorship ticket to the Lagos East senatorial district as his political base is in Mushin in the Lagos West.

Politicians are also quick to point to the fact that the Hamzat family has been enjoying juicy political patronage since the advent of the present democracy in the state. The patriach of the family has been a one time national vice chairman of then Alliance for Democracy (AD).

Now he is the Lagos West leader. Obafemi himself has been a commissioner in the state for the past 13 years and by the end of the Fashola administration he would have spent 15 years as a commissioner in the state.

Added to this is the fact that his elder brother and the older Hamzat’s eldest child and first son, Ganiyu, has been in the House of Representatives since 2003 representing Mushin Federal Constituency 2 and not to be forgotten was the older Hamzat’s second son, Bosun, who died three years ago, was a senior special assistant to both Tinubu and Fashola.

Finally, the question is can Fashola commits the kind of resources and energy to Hamzat governorship project as Tinubu did for him in the 2007 election? Your guess is as good as mine.

Sources within the party have told thegazellenews that majority of party members may not be favourably disposed towards Fashola’s choice not because Hamzat is not capable and suitable but because they are desirous of a change in the method of choosing the party’s candidates particularly the governorship ticket.

“We are determine to ensrue a level playing ground for all aspirants and we want them to show their popularity with members of the party and thank God our leader, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, has acknowledged this fact,” a prominent member of the party told our correspondent.

For now the die is cast as Lagosians await mother of all governorship battle in the ruling party in the state.

dis is d problem of dis country -religion. Let any thing b dere provided he/she as a right mind.

1 Like

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by AdekunleBalogun: 5:51pm On May 12, 2013
krendo:

you can abuse me all you like but in 2015 the people of Lagos will question why only a certain religion produce the Governors in Lagos. It is a legitimate political question to ask. There is no need being abusive about it.

If Tinubu and Fashola are so open minded and Lagos is so United then they should have a process that allows all no matter there religion to have a chance. It is called equal opportunity.

Fashola was Attorney General to Tinubu, now Hamzat is Works commissioner to Fashola. There is nothing similar about these people in terms of career path. The reason for this pattern is nothing but their religion.

These are the fact!

If Religion does not matter then lets see Fashola and Tinubu back someone from the other side.

There is no need being nepotic and then turn around to accuse others of nepotism when they call you out on it.

Lagos will vote in 2015!

You are a madman for even given this a consideration... You this hypocrite.

1 Like

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by tlops(m): 5:57pm On May 12, 2013
Please don't bring this divide into Lagos oh. what is wrong with you people fa? Anybody is free to contest. Christians and muslims as well. but we should vote according to capabilities not religious or tribal association. If God is able to use the donkey, the dove and the sea He is able to use anyone.

1 Like

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by mayuseakin: 5:59pm On May 12, 2013
[quote author=homerac7]

God bless you sir!

I am sure that if you ask them, they will swear that Christianity was in SW before
we dont need ur history on which religion came first.
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Slickest(m): 6:00pm On May 12, 2013
What's with u ppl..y d link btw religion and politics,datz y dis country will neva move 4wrd... We all want a confortable and condusive environmnt to live in some mumus are tokin religion.....jonathan is a christian,see what happens when a christian rules!!!.....abacha was a muslim,see what happens wen a muslim rules!!!....stop being dolt and be realistic, d God we are fighting is peaceful, u shall b judged according to ur deeds and not ur religion.....

1 Like

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Remii(m): 6:00pm On May 12, 2013
Osun state was ruled for over 7 yrs by Oyinlola and Obada (Christian , Christian) nobody said anything ooo

3 Likes

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Slickest(m): 6:00pm On May 12, 2013
What's with u ppl..y d link btw religion and politics,datz y dis country will neva move 4wrd... We all want a confortable and condusive environmnt to live in some mumus are tokin religion.....jonathan is a christian,see what happens when a christian rules!!!.....abacha was a muslim,see what happens wen a muslim rules!!!....stop being dolt and be realistic, d God we are fighting for is peaceful, u shall b judged according to ur deeds and not ur religion.....

1 Like

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by sojikul(m): 6:07pm On May 12, 2013
[quote
author=na2day!]Any group of people that hides under the veil of
ethnicity and religion to chose their leaders instead of competence are
doomed!
Religion or tribe is inconsequential so far, the development that people
wants to see is apparent!
I'd rather make sheik makthoum, the sheik of Dubai the president of
Nigeria, if he will make Nigeria like Dubai (FYI, many of our brothers,
especially from the east are there hustling and they are not complaining
about the religion), rather than Good luck Jonathan whose destiny is to
make Nigeria , another somalia

My point is this: religion and ethnicity does not matter, in as much as
the development we crave is there for all to see ! [/quote]
Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by mathskill: 6:07pm On May 12, 2013

1 Like

Re: Will Lagos Ever Have A Christian Governor? by Dotman01(m): 6:09pm On May 12, 2013
onyewec3:

and u av forgotten that, we av a perfect example here in the sw. ondo state av a muslim governor and a muslim deputy, they also av a 99.9% christian population. how about that?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Restoration Of Manhood By Prophet Jeremiah Omoto Fufeyin - Pictures / Man Runs Towards Moroccan King's Car During Motorcade With Pope Francis / That Moment In Church When You Dance Like King David.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.