Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,880 members, 7,817,594 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:11 PM

State Of Emergency Declared In Borno, Yobe and Adamawa - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / State Of Emergency Declared In Borno, Yobe and Adamawa (37391 Views)

Buhari Receives Emir Of Yobe And His Delegates In Abuja(photos) / Live Updates From Bornu, Yobe And Adamawa States / Breaking News: 24 Hours Curfew Declared In Adamawa State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: State Of Emergency Declared In Borno, Yobe and Adamawa by Orikinla(m): 8:16pm On May 14, 2013
These are still half measures.
Re: State Of Emergency Declared In Borno, Yobe and Adamawa by manny4life(m): 8:16pm On May 14, 2013
"Operation GERINIMO" - weed out them suckerz...

Good JOB GEJ..
Re: State Of Emergency Declared In Borno, Yobe and Adamawa by Nobody: 8:16pm On May 14, 2013
gunuvi:
Wait for your time, they already appointed my brother. You no know how long we sef don dey wait?
You fit try jump queue o as the queue too long.
Hehehehehehehe.

Make we see nau

1 Like

Re: State Of Emergency Declared In Borno, Yobe and Adamawa by Katier00(f): 8:17pm On May 14, 2013
iwanchop: Why declare state of emergency in Adamawa?
I smell something there,the president doesn't want it to look political
Borno and Yobe are controlled by opposition parties hence he was looking for a scapegoat (PDP controlled state) to partially balance it politically.He found the scapegoat in Adamawa.
which borno
Re: State Of Emergency Declared In Borno, Yobe and Adamawa by Marotzke(m): 8:19pm On May 14, 2013
Policewoman: WAIT O, IT'S LIKE THE GOVERNORS WERE NOT SUSPENDED. PRESIDENT JONA HAS GOOFED AGAIN
what do you want ? extreme security measures or removal of civilian governors? What this means in practical terms is this. 1 Right to liberty suspended. 2 Right to public assembly suspended .3 Right to be represented by a counsel suspended. 4 Right to be charged to court within 48hrs or within any time period after arrest, suspended. 5 Right of public speech or free speech suspended. Any one involved in boko haram activities or sympathiser of boko haram, or is suspected of harbouring boko haram sentiments is liable to arrest and indefinite detention. Rules of engagement have now changed from civil disobedience to enemy action. So you now want a military administrator brought to enforce martial laws to start water treatment and supply, buying drugs and renovating hospitals? You must be a coup prone policewoman. State of emergency means imposition of martial laws not change of civilian authority.

9 Likes

Re: State Of Emergency Declared In Borno, Yobe and Adamawa by HARDDON: 8:20pm On May 14, 2013
CFCfan:

In this case, the governors will still carryout their executive functions; but as u said, the military will take full control of the security in those states. There will be searches, lock-downs, and arrests made by the soldiers.

Now let d game begin. All those governors that have been harboring and nurturing these miscreants would ѕσση bé exposed!

Fire on all their coves . Death to all these evil perpetrators.

I hope d press keep us abreast with the shell thatz about to blow!

Kano's governor must have been given stern warning hence Kano's exclusion.
Re: State Of Emergency Declared In Borno, Yobe and Adamawa by mu2sa2: 8:21pm On May 14, 2013
GEJ should also declare State of emergency against pipeline vandalism, armed robbery, poverty, unemployment and corruption.
Re: State Of Emergency Declared In Borno, Yobe and Adamawa by omiobo: 8:21pm On May 14, 2013
superior1: No Amnesty again , Jona don confuse oo shocked shocked shocked

Na u dey confuse. He's on top of the situation. I support him on this.
Re: State Of Emergency Declared In Borno, Yobe and Adamawa by Confusion: 8:21pm On May 14, 2013
babyosisi: Can somebody intelligent explain to me what it means in practical terms
It means you cant do as u like
So much restrictions

1 Like

Re: State Of Emergency Declared In Borno, Yobe and Adamawa by Lexo22(m): 8:22pm On May 14, 2013
gerald09:
Yeah dey wuld I guess GEJ is making it more civilised, the military administrator in charge will ans directly to d president without disturbing the state governor n vis versa. That way d military take ova the state with d governor still in charge a little.

Thanks I understand better now but he would've given the military guys full control so that other disturbing states will take a better note
Re: State Of Emergency Declared In Borno, Yobe and Adamawa by Nobody: 8:23pm On May 14, 2013
HARDDON:

Now let d game begin. All those governors that have been harboring and nurturing these miscreants would ѕσση bé exposed!

Fire on all their coves . Death to all these evil perpetrators.

I hope d press keep us abreast with the shell thatz about to blow!

Kano's governor must have been given stern warning hence Kano's exclusion.

Yeah, I hope all the sponsors of BH, whether in high or low places, will be brought to justice.
Justice can be delayed, but it surely won't be denied this time.
Re: State Of Emergency Declared In Borno, Yobe and Adamawa by rawtruth(m): 8:26pm On May 14, 2013
Let Benue, plateau and Nassarawa declare their own state of "EMERGENCY" against fulani terrorists in their states...but wait, Nassarawa won't do that with the fulani puppet, Al-Makura, in charge. GEJ should then stamp hard on these fulani terrorists in the Middle Belt. Then, only then, will he have completed his "transformation". Middle Beltans are with you, carry go, Jona.

2 Likes

Re: State Of Emergency Declared In Borno, Yobe and Adamawa by Nogen: 8:26pm On May 14, 2013
alnaijiri: State of Emergency in the North is a codeword for restricting democracy and autonomy of the Muslim North and subjugate Muslims under this Xtian Crusader government. We know this is what the South wants. Maybe they're bankrolling BH and other "Islamic" groups all along to get what they want.

O D E is your name! You think Christians have time for you people. You better run to Niger or Chad where you migrated from before you get caught.

1 Like

Re: State Of Emergency Declared In Borno, Yobe and Adamawa by omiobo: 8:27pm On May 14, 2013
Hon. Kontigi:
state of emergency is another name for chop-chop. All the statutory allocation to the three states from the federation Account will just vamoose. OBJ declared state of emergency in plateau and in effect re-introduced military rule there for almost a year. At the end of the state of emergency plateau state witnessed even more violence.The same thing will likely happen in these three state because boko haram leadership have relocated to lawless chad.

I know you are one of the silly human beings that like it when Nigeria is bad shape. Tell me,what do you want him to do?
Re: State Of Emergency Declared In Borno, Yobe and Adamawa by Maxymilliano(m): 8:27pm On May 14, 2013
ADDRESS BY PRESIDENT GOODLUCK EBELE JONATHAN
ON THE DECLARATION OF A STATE OF EMERGENCY IN BORNO, YOBE AND ADAMAWA STATES IN ORDER TO RESTOREPUBLIC ORDER, PUBLIC SAFETY AND SECURITY IN THE AFFECTED STATES OF THE FEDERATION

MAY 14, 2013

Dear compatriots,

1. It has become necessary for me to address you on the recent spate of terrorist activities and protracted security challenges in some parts of the country, particularly in Borno, Yobe, Adamawa, Gombe, Bauchi, Kano, Plateau and most recently Bayelsa, Taraba, Benue and Nasarawa states. These unfortunate events have led to needless loss of lives and property of many innocent Nigerians including members of our security forces.

2. The recent killing of security operatives by a cult group in Nasarawa state is particularly condemnable. I have directed that no effort orexpense be spared in identifying and bringingto justice all those who had a hand in the killing of the operatives.

3. The activities of insurgents and terrorists have been reprehensible, causing fear among our citizens and a near-breakdown of law andorder in parts of the country, especially the North. We have taken robust steps to unravel and address the root causes of these crises, but it would appear that there is a systematic effort by insurgents and terrorists to destabilize the Nigerian state and test our collective resolve.

4. Since I returned to the country after cutting short my visit to South Africa and aborting a planned state visit to Namibia, I have received detailed briefings from our security agencies. These briefings indicate that what we are facing is not just militancy or criminality, but a rebellion and insurgency by terrorist groups which pose a very serious threat to national unity and territorial integrity. Already, some northern parts of Borno state have been taken over by groups whose allegiance is to different flags and ideologies.

5. These terrorists and insurgents seem determined to establish control and authority over parts of our beloved nation and to progressively overwhelm the rest of the country. In many places, they have destroyed the Nigerian flag and other symbols of state authority and in their place, hoisted strange flags suggesting the exercise of alternative sovereignty.

6. They have attacked government buildings and facilities. They have murdered innocent citizens and state officials. They have set houses ablaze, and taken women and childrenas hostages.

These actions amount to a declaration of war and a deliberate attempt toundermine the authority of the Nigerian stateand threaten her territorial integrity. As a responsible government, we will not tolerate this.

7. Previously, we adopted a multi-track approach to the resolution of this problem through actions which included persuasion, dialogue and widespread consultation with the political, religious and community leaders in the affected states.

8. We exercised restraint to allow for all efforts by both State Governors and well-meaning Nigerians to stop the repeated cases of mindless violence.

9. Yet, the insurgents and terrorists seek to prevent government from fulfilling its constitutional obligations to the people as they pursue their fanatical agenda of mayhem, mass murder, division and separatism.

10. While the efforts at persuasion and dialogue will continue, let me reiterate that we have a sacred duty to ensure the security and well-being of all our people and protect the sovereign integrity of our country. Therefore, we shall, on no account, shy away from doing whatever becomes necessary to provide the fullest possible security for the citizens of this country in any part of the country they choose to reside.

11. We have a duty to stand firm against those who threaten the sovereign integrity of the Nigerian state. Our will is strong, becauseour faith lies in the indivisibility of Nigeria.

12. Following recent developments in the affected states, it has become necessary for Government to take extraordinary measures to restore normalcy. After wide consultations,and in exercise of the powers conferred on me by the provisions of Section 305, sub-section 1 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 as amended, I hereby declare a State of Emergency in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states.

13. Accordingly, the Chief of Defence Staff has been directed to immediately deploy more troops to these states for more effective internal security operations. The troops and other security agencies involved in these operations have orders to take all necessary action, within the ambit of their rules of engagement, to put an end to the impunity of insurgents and terrorists.

14. This will include the authority to arrest and detain suspects, the taking of possession and control of any building or structure used for terrorist purposes, the lock-down of any area of terrorist operation, the conduct of searches, and the apprehension of persons in illegal possession of weapons.

15. The details of this Proclamation will be transmitted to the National Assembly in accordance with the provisions of the Constitution. But in the meantime, let me make it clear that within the purview of this Proclamation, the Governors and other political office holders in the affected states will continue to discharge their constitutional responsibilities.

16. I urge the political leadership in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states to co-operate maximally with the Armed Forces and the Police to ensure that the exercise succeeds. We call on the citizenry to co-operate with our security agencies to ensure a return to normalcy within the shortest possible time.

17. I am again approaching our neighbouring countries, through diplomatic channels, as done in the recent past, for their co-operationin apprehending any terrorist elements that may escape across the border.

18. Nigerians are peace-loving people; these sad events perpetrated by those who do not wish our nation well have not changed the essential character of our people.

19. I want to reassure you all that those who are directly or indirectly encouraging any form of rebellion against the Nigerian state, and their collaborators; those insurgents and terrorists who take delight in killing our security operatives, whoever they may be, wherever they may go, we will hunt them down, we will fish them out, and we will bring them to justice. No matter what it takes, we will win this war against terror.

20. I am convinced that with your support andprayers, we shall overcome these challenges and together, we will restore every part of our country to the path of peace, growth and development.

Long live the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: State Of Emergency Declared In Borno, Yobe and Adamawa by resty4(m): 8:27pm On May 14, 2013
Abeg GEJ no strong joor.Na Baba Obasanjo style of state of emergency na em fit those states were many innocent lives r lost daily n their families r forced 2 mental,emotnal,psychological n all kinds trauma.
GEJ why partial S O E? b strong like jare or if u fit hold naija oya make u begin waka.
Re: State Of Emergency Declared In Borno, Yobe and Adamawa by Maxymilliano(m): 8:27pm On May 14, 2013
ADDRESS BY PRESIDENT GOODLUCK EBELE JONATHAN
ON THE DECLARATION OF A STATE OF EMERGENCY IN BORNO, YOBE AND ADAMAWA STATES IN ORDER TO RESTORE PUBLIC ORDER, PUBLIC SAFETY AND SECURITY IN THE AFFECTED STATES OF THE FEDERATION

Double post ... Make una no vex

Long live the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: State Of Emergency Declared In Borno, Yobe and Adamawa by Nobody: 8:28pm On May 14, 2013
@ Maximilliano: Why the double posts?
Re: State Of Emergency Declared In Borno, Yobe and Adamawa by jane121: 8:28pm On May 14, 2013
I pray this brings an end to the killings

1 Like

Re: State Of Emergency Declared In Borno, Yobe and Adamawa by Confusion: 8:30pm On May 14, 2013
lacasa: This president is as confused as a blind bat in a market square.
#... Spits at this clueless govt

Pls I'm just curious, what other move do you think he should ve done
Pls I just want ur constructive answer
Re: State Of Emergency Declared In Borno, Yobe and Adamawa by Nobody: 8:31pm On May 14, 2013
Nogen:

O D E is your name! You think Christians have time for you people. You better run to Niger or Chad where you migrated from before you get caught.

Don't mind him
Let him stay dia and be typing with one finger instead of finding a hiding place
Re: State Of Emergency Declared In Borno, Yobe and Adamawa by Nobody: 8:31pm On May 14, 2013
haaaaaaaaaaa.......borno here i come na fight to finish
Re: State Of Emergency Declared In Borno, Yobe and Adamawa by Ucheosefoh(m): 8:31pm On May 14, 2013
OCHULORC: I think you are d clueless one. I don't like when nigerians like you critise every good and bad thing this man does. #..... Spits at your silly thread.
U are quoting that fulani man who never see any thing good in GEJ. He better advise his bother who is a commander of boko haram to waka cus oga Jona don vex send red eyes soldiers
Re: State Of Emergency Declared In Borno, Yobe and Adamawa by Nobody: 8:32pm On May 14, 2013
Confusion:

Pls I'm just curious, what other move do you think he should ve done
Pls I just want ur constructive answer

Do you expect any reasonable answer from those ACN/ CPC bats?
If there was no SOE declared,they would have been cussing Themselves
He declares one,they are cussing themselves too
Re: State Of Emergency Declared In Borno, Yobe and Adamawa by lacasa: 8:33pm On May 14, 2013
State of emergency(s) with sitting governors ..??.

State of emergency(s) is an outdated approach, OBJ proved that with the Plateau.

#.. Going round n round in familiar circles!
Re: State Of Emergency Declared In Borno, Yobe and Adamawa by 735i(m): 8:35pm On May 14, 2013
He who beats the evil drum; must be ready to dance the music of the spirits!!!

The big masqurades have come to dance.... Lets see if these cowards hiding under the guise of BH can survive the onslaught....

BH; The heat is on!!!
Re: State Of Emergency Declared In Borno, Yobe and Adamawa by resty4(m): 8:37pm On May 14, 2013
Middle Belt 4ever, liberatn frm hausa-fulani manipulatn.

1 Like

Re: State Of Emergency Declared In Borno, Yobe and Adamawa by DigitalSignal(m): 8:39pm On May 14, 2013
babyosisi:

Most likely more people will be needed in the military to go there and keep peace
All you everlasting JAMB and WAEC takers asking us to pray for you year after year
Your prayers have been answered ( with AK 47 on top) grin
You can now go and join the army and head north
If you perish you perish
grin

grin
Re: State Of Emergency Declared In Borno, Yobe and Adamawa by Chinom(m): 8:41pm On May 14, 2013
The commander-in-chief has spoken. They had better hold their peace in the affected states or this country will go to the dogs. We have a president. Somebody must be in charge.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Acting President Yemi Osinbajo In Surprise Muritala International Airport Visit / Kogi Governor-Elect, Usman Ododo Kneels Before Governor Yahaya Bello (Video) / Eniola Akinkuotu's Response To His Kinsmen Playing Ethnic Card Against Gbadebo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.