Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,819 members, 7,956,085 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 01:18 AM

Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? (16689 Views)

Fayose Dares Buhari On State Of Emergency In Ekiti, Rivers, Says It Won't Work / Court Of Appeal Says Aisha Alhassan Is State’s Real Governor / Fulani Herdsmen Working For Boko Haram – Falae (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by rolchi(m): 7:34am On May 15, 2013
mentorken05: The News of the State Of Emergency was a well conceived and political strategised plan to save nigeria from another Civil War ..
Why Some Nigeria feel its a partial one due to the Governors of that state retaining their Executive power , but the Majority believe its a welcome development Long overdue .

In the past in the history of Nigeria , wherever State of Emergency were declared in troubled state by military Presidents ,state powers were delegated to military administrators and in most cases to loyal military officer who supported and planned the coup d e'tal.
GEJ has acted wisely in all sense to make the civilian Governors remain along side the deployment of military officer who will henceforth be in charge of the logistic planning and execution of all security challenges that will be going on in the affected state ..
The Northern elders who kicked against the state of Emergency had an evil and hidden motive , thinking the president might likely appoint non-hausas to become military administrators in Hausa states.
Now he did otherwise the Governors will retain their position while the military will study the situation and if there is any leak the Governors will be heard responsible ... Let's all watch and study this new Democratic definition of State of Emergency and I am fully in support of it knowing it will go along way to bring hope to the hopeless innocent muslims and christians in this affected state ... Long live Nigeria Long live GEJ .

You are indeed a MENTOR...good word.

If GEJ has removed Political Structures, it will cause the Political temperature of the Polity to rise and this will divide the support of the people and ultimately encouraged latent insubordination.

With this...everybody "SHUT UP". Till now, no Press Releases from (una know dem nau)!
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by rolchi(m): 7:43am On May 15, 2013
Pedagogue: Under GEJ, impunity is not only thriving, absurdity is the order of the day!!!

Has anyone checked Section 305 of the 1999 constitution ?

The constitutional expectation for a state of emergency declaration is that all political office holders will seize to exist!!! But GEj's coward brand of state of emergency is that the affected states will still have functioning Governors,commissioners and aides!!! What is the sense in that?

Until a full scale state of emergency is declared in those states and politicians no longer CHOP,d boko haram menace will continue!

Brother, you think Boko Haram doesn't know the Constitution...this is ideological warfare! If he appoints MILADS, opposition and bad-belle people will read meaning into it and then the populace may develop latent support for the "civilians" fighting in the name of allah to frustrate Jonathan.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by ochukoccna: 7:43am On May 15, 2013
Bullets do not stop a religious fueled insurgency undecided
Heavy handed tactics only wins sympathy and new foot soldiers for their demented cause
Ask the Yanks,Brits and other nations about their experience in Iraq and Afghanistan
I wish Ebele Goodluck cool
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by eldoradoxx: 7:46am On May 15, 2013
Nnanna nzewi: The kind of state of emergency announced by GEJ will not work very well..Let all the elected executives govenors and there likes vacate their offices until normalcy is restored.Full military occupation of these states is my advocacy!
State of emergency as known all over advanced democracies does not entail removal of constitutionally recognised offices like that of Governor etc, but the taking of extra constitutional steps in tackling extraordinary challenges facing a nation. It is Obasanjo that came up with the anomaly that State of emergency involves the removal of Governors, is it supposed to be a coup? Even if first republic when the Tafawa Belewa's government declared State of emergency over Western Nigeria, Akintola and his team remained in power. The state of emergency just declared I heard steem from the fact that there is intelligence report indicating large movement of ousted Rebels from Mali who are gradually relocating to Northern Nigeria to collaborate with Boko haram. That is why the last attacks on Mongonu barracks was said to have been carried out by armed men driving about 50 Hilux pickup vans from Mali. So this conflict is gradually going international and GEJ has to act swiftly to restore order. Do you know that as at yesterday there are LGAs that have been over run by these insurgents and destroyed all symbols of sovereignty? Taken over all public buildings, police stations, schools, hospitals, govt offices etc. This is not excerpt from GEJ's speech but from a living witness in Borno. Aside large movement of troops all over the states this emergency rule intends to implement is also aerial bombardment of identified Boko haram base in the states. Right now lots of Nigeria airforce crafts have been drafted to not only check cross border movement of insurgents but to do tactical air assault on identified strongs of boko haram particularly areas they ve taken and foisted their flags.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by palamo(m): 7:47am On May 15, 2013
I believe that this is the best option for now. Amnesty can't be given to a fanatic who has no regard for even his own life! You can only fight terror with overwhelming force. These people have killed thousands, its time to up the ante.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by JTAbeda(m): 7:50am On May 15, 2013
unclenna: Is state of emergency the best option to stop boko haram....Share your view
state of emergency shows us dat GEJ is movin toward been d iron man nija need, 4 me let him deploy military generals 2 rule dose state, nigeria belong. 2 every nigerian & not 2 any sect, lets not forget d military era where d north had d far share of d national cake. Why dis happenin nw wen a christian is rulin.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by hotmas911(m): 7:58am On May 15, 2013
emergency rule without declaring war on the sponsors and supporters of bh makes no sense
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by thirty(m): 7:59am On May 15, 2013
Sincere Bigot: Just like the Anglican communion said... IT WONT CHANGE ANYTHING!!!
it wont change anything when the sponsors, governors and hausa elders are at still large.
Presindent should arrest and prosecute the sponsors. Without stoping the source of flood it will continue to destroy life and property.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by Joyfullyme: 7:59am On May 15, 2013
Trouser na one one leg them dey take wear am....that question should be asked to security experts with full information on the happenings in the country.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by soulfood(m): 8:01am On May 15, 2013
Neo-XVI:
Nigerian leaders have always been poor in creativity and approach to solving problems. There's insecurity in the land, so implement state of emergency and it will be solved. Yes? Wish it were that simple.

Question to ask yourself is, what did the last state of emergency from Dec 31, 2011 to July 18, 2012 solve?
Are we looking for a temporary panacea or a long term solution and eradication of the menace?
What have our security agencies been doing since this BH issue reared up? Have they acquired intelligence dossiers on those involved, who their financiers are, how they get their guns and ammo, how their logistics are organized, how many, and the spread of their sleeper cells?

This is only a feel good measure. Nothing more. Nothing stops the BH boys from moving to Jigawa, Taraba, Bauchi, Gombe or Kano. I am no security expert but I think they can do a few more meaningful things like

- put the northern borders on lock down. I don't know the amount of trade across the northern border, but I don't think it is much anyway
- freeze the assets of their Nigerian financiers, and prosecute these folks. Until people start paying the price for their crimes, the status-quo will remain.
- cut off their arms supply. Very important
- infiltrate and destroy their cells
- take out (assassinate) their more influential leaders and commandos.
- immobilize their logistics. These guys can't possibly have a sophisticated operation. Haba!

And while you're slowly decapitating them, still leave the amnesty option open. They will soon start coming to the table voluntarily. Nobody dey tell mad man say rain dey fall.
Your head dey there. Infact I hope you have plans for joining the NSA team.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by Concept(m): 8:02am On May 15, 2013
shymexx: This is more of a political statement than anything else.

I believe a mini-martial law has been effected in those states for some time now, and nothing has changed. It's still the same thing. And a full martial law without rendering the governors "impotent" is just going to end up the same way.

You lot need to thread carefully before the BH thing consumes the whole country.

Exactly my thought.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by ilaugh1: 8:17am On May 15, 2013
OsunOriginal: State of emergency even when the governors and all elected officials are still there doing their job of funding Boko Haram guys. How will this be different from JTF patrolling the states other than more soldiers on the road? I am still wondering how this will help the situation.

Keep wondering until Boko Haram hits your ugly face.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by ilaugh1: 8:20am On May 15, 2013
Pedagogue: Under GEJ, impunity is not only thriving, absurdity is the order of the day!!!

Has anyone checked Section 305 of the 1999 constitution ?

The constitutional expectation for a state of emergency declaration is that all political office holders will seize to exist!!! But GEj's coward brand of state of emergency is that the affected states will still have functioning Governors,commissioners and aides!!! What is the sense in that?

Until a full scale state of emergency is declared in those states and politicians no longer CHOP,d boko haram menace will continue!

Nobody should take you serious. You want MILADS to be appointed and then the opposition cries out its a plot by PDP to consummate power in those states. They havent done so yet but your ACN and CPC are already crying so.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by camelus: 8:20am On May 15, 2013
The Executive,Judiciary & Legislative Powers/Function were not suspended in those States. So that's not State of Emergency.
Until we start acting accordingly things will not go well.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by Nobody: 8:25am On May 15, 2013
MY FELLO NORTHERNERS, our enemies have made a great impression; they have convey their warnings, threats and wishes with candour. Now it remains for us to show them the strength of our unity and strangeness of our valour for verily, the time has come, for us to judge not by emotions and sentiments but by reason of logic. We should take courage and fight them to the end, in the spirit of Nigerianism, for no night so long as not to end at dawn. Let us give a helping hand to our security forces to end this wantom loss of lives and property.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by ilaugh1: 8:27am On May 15, 2013
OP. Can you suggest the best option?
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by onchefx: 8:54am On May 15, 2013
I THINK THE PRESIDENT HAS DONE THE RIGHT THING,I SEE THESE BOKO HARAM AS REPEATING WHAT HAPPEN IN MALI TO NIGERIA IF WE ARE NOT CAREFUL WHAT HAPPENED IN MALI WILL HAPPEN IN NIGERIA.MR PRESIDENT YOU MUST BE VERY STRONG AT THIS MOMENT THE THIS ISLAMIST ARE READY TO TAKE OVER THIS COUNTRY AND MR PRSIDENT MUST TAKE NOTE THAT THIS WAR AGAINST THE SOVEREIGNTY OF NIGERIA.WE MUST STAND AND FIGHT AND WIN THIS WAR AGAINST THIS ISLAMIST SECT CALLED BOKO HARAM

1 Like

Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by byteem: 8:58am On May 15, 2013
I SEE SOME SENSE IN THE QUASILE DECLARATION OF EMERGENCY WHERE THE POLITICIANS RETAIN THEIR OFFICES .. THAT SHOULD NOT BE SEEN AS WEAKNESS BY GEJ..BUT QUITE A SMART WELL THOUGHT OUT MOVE..HOWBEITH MY ARGUMENT IS THAT THE GOVERNORS ARE PLAYERS IN THIS BOKHARAM THING .... THEY CREATED THE FERTILE SOIL FOR THESE DEMONS TO THRIVE IN THE NAME OF OPPOSITION .. THEY ISSUE THE PAY CHECKS WHETHER DIRECTLY OR THROUGH THEIR COHORTS ....

THE NORTHERN ELDERS ON THEIR PART ARE NOT BEING TRUTHFUL TO NIGERIANS ..THE RELATIONSHIP BTW THEM AND BOKOHARAM CAN BE COMPARED TO THAT OF FATHER AND CHILD ... THEY CREATED THIS MONSTER AND NO MATTER HOW BIG AND STUBBORN IT HAS BECOME IT REMAINS A CHILD OF THE NORTHERN ELITE SPONSORED AND NURTURED BY THEM... THEY ALONE HOLD THE KEY TO STOP THESE MENACE...

..SO LET THEM STOP THESE GAMES AT THE EXPENSE OF THE BLOOD OF NIGERIAN CITIZENS (UNIFORMED OR OTHERWISE).. . FACT IS, UNTIL THE FUNDING OF BOKOHARAM BY POLITICIANS AND THE NORTHERN ELITE IS CUT OFF..EVERY ACT TO CURTAIL THEIR EXCESSES WOULD LEAD TO LOSS OF LIVES AND BREED MORE CHAOS.. STATE OF EMERGENCY OR NOT..

1 Like

Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by barroymails: 8:58am On May 15, 2013
Full State of Emergency is NOT ONLY THE BEST BUT INDEED THE ONLY WISE OPTION in tackling and suppressing the Boko Haram-declaration of war against Nigeria. I salute Mr. President on the declaration of this partial state of emergency in three states. Responsible Nigerians had, however, expected full state of emergency in all the affected states. I am unable to understand how the governors and all other political office holders in the affected states could continue to perform their constitutional responsibilities in an emergency regime. All the political office holders ought to give way for the military to return the affected war zones to the path of peace. It appears that Mr. President acted out of fear as he most probably did not want to be criticized by the garrulous opposition leaders and the sponsors/promoters of Boko Haram. Poor him!
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by ngmart(m): 9:53am On May 15, 2013
With no explanation! .... Yes my brother.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by omoredia: 9:58am On May 15, 2013
deal with islamist squerely! Boko Haram are having mouth cos for now they are the ones that have access to arms!
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by raymondinc(m): 11:02am On May 15, 2013
I must advocate on behalf of the effort of his excellency. He has endured much more and had decided to take the right step. You see, having these governors still in office doesn't make him daft, non of these governors or personels can ever stand in the way of these soldiers because most of them re senior officer with integrity that can not be easily bribe by some bloody civiliams. I'm so glad!
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by raymondinc(m): 11:05am On May 15, 2013
I must advocate on behalf of the effort of his excellency. He has endured much more and had decided to take the right step. You see, having these governors still in office doesn't make him daft, non of these governors or personels can ever stand in the way of these soldiers because most of them re senior officer with integrity that can not be easily bribe by some bloody civilians. I'm so glad!
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by Dandostism: 11:15am On May 15, 2013
Yes Mr gej is riht! Some govns r surporting BH. Wit st of emergency other st wil take dressing

1 Like

Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by roselynbas(f): 11:42am On May 15, 2013
unclenna: Is state of emergency the best option to stop boko haram....Share your view

what kind of stupid question is this?
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by lastpage: 12:17pm On May 15, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: .These terrorists and insurgents seem determined to establish control and authority over parts of our beloved nation and to progressively overwhelm the rest of the country. In many places, they have destroyed the Nigerian flag and other symbols of state authority and in their place, hoisted strange flags suggesting the exercise of alternative sovereignty.

6.They have attacked government buildingsand facilities. They have murdered innocent citizens and state officials. They have set houses ablaze,and taken women and children as hostages. These actions amount to a declaration of war and a deliberate attempt to undermine the authority of the Nigerian stateand threaten her territorial integrity. As a responsible government, we will not tolerate this

^^^ GEJ's speech, this is enough to blow the whole region..You are clearly hosting another republic/country inside your boundaries, and the worst thing is they want to conquer the remaining parts...

Dont they have a "CAMEROONLAND" website in your country or are you people, ruled and held hostage by one Paul Biya for DECADES!, too backward to create a website where you can vent your genocidal tendencies?

If you expend as much energy as you do over here in your own country, one poo called Paul Biya wont be ruling herding you like Sheep, for decades!
Do you even have internet access in that your country? grin grin

Bug-off and stick your advice up your down-hole where the sun dont shine!
Mtcheew

Lastpage!
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by Nobody: 12:25pm On May 15, 2013
lastpage:

Dont they have a "CAMEROONLAND" website in your country or are you people, ruled and held hostage by one Paul Biya for DECADES!, too backward to create a website where you can vent your genocidal tendencies?

If you expend as much energy as you do over here in your own country, one poo called Paul Biya wont be ruling herding you like Sheep, for decades!
Do you even have internet access in that your country? grin grin

Bug-off and stick your advice up your down-hole where the sun dont shine!
Mtcheew

Lastpage!

Go fck your clueless fisherman first, at least I'm enjoying 100% security, stability and sanity, too bad the same can't b said for your kidnappers-terroristz infested country.

Keep living in denial, moronic bastard, but the truth remains Nigeria is at war.....
Btw no one forced you to quote me the first time so you bug off and go sit down.
Ohh I hope you don't think your ethnic rotation and rigged elections are something to b proud of lmao, Nigeriand and their suffering and smiling....a nigerian criticizing Biya? Wonder shall never end

2 Likes

Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by mentorken05(m): 3:08pm On May 15, 2013
rolchi:

You are indeed a MENTOR...good word.

If GEJ has removed Political Structures, it will cause the Political temperature of the Polity to rise and this will divide the support of the people and ultimately encouraged latent insubordination.

With this...everybody "SHUT UP". Till now, no Press Releases from (una know dem nau)!
tanx bro...we all fight and wish for wot z gud for d country
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by Mercury3000: 3:22pm On May 15, 2013
Civil War is my Prediction

1 Like

Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by o42austino(m): 5:22pm On May 15, 2013
OsunOriginal: State of emergency even when the governors and all elected officials are still there doing their job of funding Boko Haram guys. How will this be different from JTF patrolling the states other than more soldiers on the road? I am still wondering how this will help the situation.
in declearing state of emergency, political office holders in the state can still function but what they have lost is the power bestowed on their governor as the chief security office of the state, no one including the police will now take orders from the governor, all order now will be taken from chief of defence staff and the president only.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by o42austino(m): 5:45pm On May 15, 2013
Foolish Bingo like u
anti9JA: Those callers on 99.3 Nigeria Info who insists that "God bless Nigeria", "God is in Nigeria", "It is our prayer that is keeping Nigeria safe", if only wounds, gunshots, beheading, slaughtering of WAEC students can be communicated to them to feel what others have felt, they will not be claiming God is Nigeria, these callers are people whose very clothes they are wearing including their women's panties and braziers are imported and the God they are invoking 24/7 blesses the human hair they buy from Brazil, such people don’t deserve to live, they deserve Boko-haram, there’s nothing wrong in Boko-haram, Boko-haram is a tradition of those who are practicing arab culture and way of life who believe that their own wish and command must be enforced on Africans, and this is a tried and tested method that Danfodio and his followers descendants have perfected, so Boko-Haram is only carrying out the Danfodian legacies of MIGHT BACKED WITH RELIGION IS RIGHT, and therefore use force, intimidations, coercions and brutality and not dialogue in resolving conflicts in West Africa and Central Africa.
Re: Is State Of Emergency The Best Option For Boko-Haram? by Orikinla(m): 7:02pm On May 15, 2013
Yes.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Reps Take Delivery Of N3.6bn Cars / #ondodecides2016: Appeal Court To Deliver Judgement Today Friday 18 / Adegboyega Famodun: Why Nigeria's Next President Must Come From South-West

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.