Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,341 members, 7,811,991 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:19 AM

Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe - Politics (41) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe (67908 Views)

Summary Of President Muhammadu Buhari Recent Al Jazeera Interview About Biafra / [must Read] Gov Amaechiā€™s Channels Tv Interview About Election Postponement / IBB Recent Interview About Life Without His Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) ... (46) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 12:42am On May 30, 2013
remark D: If you don't know what Modern African Literature is, at least you know that Chinua Achebe is the Father of Modern African Literature.

you are not making any sense, I'm asking her definition because I don't want to show people who started writing before achebe and achieved more for her to come and say they are not into modern literature, also let's not forget that literature is not only about novels ...I rest my case.

Ps: if you are an achebe defender, can you answer the questions I posted ,thank u
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by TheBookWorm: 1:48am On May 30, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: you are not making any sense, I'm asking her definition because I don't want to show people who started writing before achebe and achieved more for her to come and say they are not into modern literature, also let's not forget that literature is not only about novels ...I rest my case.

Ps: if you are an achebe defender, can you answer the questions I posted ,thank u

There is no clear definition.

It is just a title that is given to those who have made a tremendous impact in a field.

Would you deny that Chinua Achebe did not bring recognition and prestige to modern African literature? I think we both know the answer to that question.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Crayola1: 1:54am On May 30, 2013
Why does it bother people so much what titles people want to give to others?

A South African gave him the title and the rest of the world ran with it, it wasn't Igbo people who gave it to him. Go fight with the NYT and the BBC if you are upset at the distinction.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 7:33am On May 30, 2013
Son-Of-El:

WS makes simple issues seem complex and ambigous, while CA does the opposite- simplifying complex issues.
That is WS' style, it can't be understood by the ordinary mind.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 7:36am On May 30, 2013
remark D: If you don't know what Modern African Literature is, at least you know that Chinua Achebe is the Father of Modern African Literature.

Here your self: You are asked what modern African literature is, you can't answer but are saying a person is its father. What an irony.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 7:40am On May 30, 2013
Crayola1: Why does it bother people so much what titles people want to give to others?

A South African gave him the title and the rest of the world ran with it, it wasn't Igbo people who gave it to him. Go fight with the NYT and the BBC if you are upset at the distinction.
I've said this, and I'm now saying it: if you can tell me one other person apart from the South African, I'll quit this thread.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 7:47am On May 30, 2013
Ola Johnson: Those that always cite Nadine Gordimer's statement, not even speech, that Chinua Achebe was the father of African literature when the latter won the Booker Prize in 2007, should ask themselves why didn't she make the same statement earlier in 1991 when she won the Nobel Prize in Literature. Is it not obvious it was a human error which we are all susceptible to as pointed out by Wole Soyinka? What was the basis of calling CA that when it was obvious that his last known book, Anthills Of The Savannah (1989), was published two years before Nadine Gordimer won the Nobel Prize in 1991? He later published There Was A Country in 2012, less than a year before he died.

Could it be that Nadine Gordimer was trying to compensate him because she knew CA would never win it. While the reason why a winner of the Prize is made public, the reason why other nominees lose is not. Gordimer, and by extension, Wole Soyinka, being past winners and possibly, possessing the power to nominate, probably knew why CA could not win it even more than twenty years before his death. It could be a thing which past winners keep secret to themselves. Of all his books only three are translated in Swedish. The number of his books which includes five novels, one list of short stories, one poetry and some children's book, could have also had an adverse effect on him not winning the Nobel Prize.
I've been posting this since yesterday, nobody has been able to refute it. I challenge any person that feels I'm wrong to debate it.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by PointB: 8:38am On May 30, 2013
babyosisi: Wole Soyinka should be careful not to destroy the legacy he has built by involving himself in unsavory affairs.
The first time the Prof disappointed me was when he spoke in support of Patience Jonathan's perm sec appointment,now this.

Chinua Achebe was called the father and grandfather of African literature by others
He did not label himself that
People recognized his immeasurable contribution to African literature and bestowed on him that honor in his lifetime so it is quite petty for WS whom I respect a great to utter such words.
It makes him sound jealous and he should be above such pettiness.

Michael Jackson was called the King of Pop
Elvis was the King of Rock and Roll
Donna Summer was the Queen of Disco While Aretha Franklin is and remains the Queen of soul
That label on Chinua is deserving.

Secondly why speak about Chinua's Book in his death what you couldn't say while he was alive?
I love Soyinka but his words here are beneath a man of his calibre

Maybe old age is setting in
Still respect you sir but you disappoint me here once again

This is the long and short of this thread.

Perfectly articulated!

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 11:27am On May 30, 2013
Ola Johnson:
That is WS' style, it can't be understood by the ordinary mind.

if i hear. That is wole soyinka trying hard to impress and please the imperialist europeans, anyway the nobel paid off...european way of saying, ''that's our boy, keep it up negro(nigger).''
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 11:38am On May 30, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: you are not making any sense, I'm asking her definition because I don't want to show people who started writing before achebe and achieved more for her to come and say they are not into modern literature, also let's not forget that literature is not only about novels ...I rest my case.

...and let's also not forget that CA was not only a writer of novels, but also of poems, essays, non-fiction books, and children's books...his essays and other works has remained relevant till today, he is also a recipient of the prestigious commonwealth poetry prize. My friend, you have to eat your words.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 11:43am On May 30, 2013
Son-Of-El:

if i hear. That is wole soyinka trying hard to impress and please the imperialist europeans, anyway the nobel paid off...european way of saying, ''that's our boy, keep it up negro(nigger).''
If being advanced in literary prowess is imperialism, then you can continue to wallow in your ignorance, and should have asked Chinua Achebe not to have written in the imperialist language, English. Igbo would have been better.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 11:47am On May 30, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: Finally free, okay waiting for my answers:

Was CA the first African writer?
Was he the first novelist?

Did he create a New style/was his style different from his predecessors?

Did he create a New ideology?

In short what makes him the father of Africa literature? Because some journalists said so?
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 11:48am On May 30, 2013
Son-Of-El:

...and let's also not forget that CA was not only a writer of novels, but also of poems, essays, non-fiction books, and children's books...his essays and other works has remained relevant till today, he is also a recipient of the prestigious commonwealth poetry prize. My friend, you have to eat your words.
but his "fame/success" came from his novel.
Eat which words?
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 11:50am On May 30, 2013
TheBookWorm:

There is no clear definition.

It is just a title that is given to those who have made a tremendous impact in a field.

Would you deny that Chinua Achebe did not bring recognition and prestige to modern African literature? I think we both know the answer to that question.

Would you deny that modern African literature was known and used/read all over the world before Achebe?
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 12:07pm On May 30, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: but his "fame/success" came from his novel.
Eat which words?

his essay on conrad which enjoys relevance globally made him a literary force to reckon with. He made africa and africans stand tall and proud. He is to the white imperialists, a nightmare, a threat or something of that sort. I sense uneasiness in your post.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by TheBookWorm: 12:12pm On May 30, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE:

Would you deny that modern African literature was known and used/read all over the world before Achebe?

Can you please name a modern African author whose literature has been used/read all over the world before Achebe?

I can wait for your answer.

No one gives themselves the title, "Father of..." anything. That title is bestowed on an individual by another person, and soon other people come to agree with the sentiment.

No need to get upset, that someone has given him that title that he rightfully deserve. Just celebrate his achievements.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 12:22pm On May 30, 2013
Leopold sedar Senghor need I say more?

Please we live in a free world, we are free to disagree..if tomorrow someone says yakubu is the best African footballer I guess you will disagree..so man up and learn how to take critics...also only one person called him this way and we know how it happened

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 12:23pm On May 30, 2013
Ola Johnson:
If being advanced in literary prowess is imperialism, then you can continue to wallow in your ignorance, and should have asked Chinua Achebe not to have written in the imperialist language, English. Igbo would have been better.

o boy think for once. Being english or european does not necessarily make one imperialist, however, we know how politically twisted the nobel club is, imperialism reigns supreme in european politics. I hope you've learnt something.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 12:32pm On May 30, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: Leopold sedar Senghor need I say more?

Please we live in a free world, we are free to disagree..if tomorrow someone says yakubu is the best African footballer I guess you will disagree..so man up and learn how to take critics...also only one person called him this way and we know how it happened

i can't help but laugh. Is soyinka more 'nobel' than gordimer? Mr man you smell of putrid jealousy.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 12:36pm On May 30, 2013
Son-Of-El:

i can't help but laugh. Is soyinka more 'nobel' than gordimer? Mr man you smell of putrid jealousy.
what does sonyinka have to do with this? Gordimer is the only one who called the dude ****** ....and why in the hell I will b jealous of CA? , refrain to quote me if you don't want to use your brain or are going to waste my time with bigotry, I asked several questions here that you and your crew are yet to answer
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by TheBookWorm: 12:43pm On May 30, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: Leopold sedar Senghor need I say more?

Leopold Senghor will always be known as an independence leader first and foremost and not as a poet.

Being the first president of Senegal is an achievement in itself.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 12:50pm On May 30, 2013
TheBookWorm:

Leopold Senghor will always be known as an independence leader first and foremost and not as a poet.

Being the first president of Senegal is an achievement in itself.

Your point is?

Maybe by you, anyway, did he start writing and getting his books published before CA? YES.

Did he create a new style? : Yes
Did he create a new/an ideology? Yes
Did he achieve more than CA? : yes

Do the maths and tell me how CA can b the father of modern African literature with the like of Senghor?
Can yakubu b the best African footballer with the like of Etoo and drogba? put your sentiments aside the claim is bogus and doesn't make any sense, CA is not the father of anything
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by TheBookWorm: 12:58pm On May 30, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE:

Your point is?

Maybe by you, anyway, did he start writing and getting his books published before CA? YES.

Did he create a new style? : Yes
Did he create a new/an ideology? Yes
Did he achieve more than CA? : yes

Do the maths and tell me how CA can b the father of modern African literature with the like of Senghor?
Can yakubu b the best African footballer with the like of Etoo and drogba? put your sentiments aside the claim is bogus and doesn't make any sense, CA is not the father of anything

I am not taking anything away from the great Leopold Senghor.

Nor am I the one who gave Chinua Achebe the title, "Father of Modern African Literature." Other people did and to be honest, and there is nothing that you nor I can do about it.

And being first means nothing. Mark Twain is known as the "Father of American Literature," but he was not the first American author.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by rhymz(m): 1:12pm On May 30, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE:

Let me engage you a bit.
Yes, I will. Prior to Chinua's TFA, can you mention any african novel that was internationally acclaimed? I mean, today it is easier fore an African writer to write and get the desired and universal audience that his/her work deserves. Many of the African books and authors that have gained world wide acclaim did so through the publishing reach of Henneman African Writers' Series which was a collaborative effort Chinua, Christopher Okigbo and the guyz at henneman to put African literature outside of the local confines of Africa. The impetus for such effort was in the evidence of Achebe's TFA. Ask anyone that is very familiar with African literature to mention the first 10 african books and aithors of note, 100% of them will be authors' whose works were published from the African writers' Series, that is how powerful and influential the man's effort and those of his other coleagues in the publishing firm was. This is not about citing list of french speaking African writers who are good in their own write but play in lower league.

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 1:19pm On May 30, 2013
I don't engage fool ^^ Senghor playing in a lower grade, are u all right? Someone who has been inducted in the French academy?

You are funny dude go read about senghor and his negritude movement , you are either too young or simply poorly educated
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 1:22pm On May 30, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: what does sonyinka have to do with this? Gordimer is the only one who called the dude ****** ....and why in the hell I will b jealous of CA? , refrain to quote me if you don't want to use your brain or are going to waste my time with bigotry, I asked several questions here that you and your crew are yet to answer

...which is.....
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 1:27pm On May 30, 2013
Lol @ bigots liking a dumb comment, a comment which says Senghor is playing in a lower league lmao....Nlders ignorance will never cease to amaze me
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 1:27pm On May 30, 2013
Son-Of-El:

...which is.....

Was CA the first African writer? Was he the first novelist?

In short what makes him the father of Africa literature? Because some journalists said so?
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 1:35pm On May 30, 2013
Son-Of-El:

his essay on conrad which enjoys relevance globally made him a literary force to reckon with. He made africa and africans stand tall and proud. He is to the white imperialists, a nightmare, a threat or something of that sort. I sense uneasiness in your post.
Inconsistency: So Things Fall Apart no longer made CA popular but his essay on Conrad?
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by TheBookWorm: 1:38pm On May 30, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE:

Was CA the first African writer? Was he the first novelist?

Did I not address the questions you posed?

Being the first means nothing, when it comes to literature.

It is about the widespread acclaim.

And before you say I know nothing about Leopold Senghor, you better think again, because I know all about Negritude, which includes authors like Aime Cesaire and Leon Damas from the Caribbean.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 1:38pm On May 30, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: I don't engage fool ^^ Senghor playing in a lower grade, are u all right? Someone who has been inducted in the French academy?

You are funny dude go read about senghor and his negritude movement , you are either too young or simply poorly educated

negritude is like begging to be appreciated. Achebe's works were unapologetic. He made the world see africa in an unbiased and transparent. Africans were organised and sophiscated in their culture and goverment. They had strengths, values, and flaws. In other words, they were like their white counterparts- progressively HUMAN. Senghor owes much of his african dignity to Achebe's works, take it or leave it.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 1:39pm On May 30, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: I don't engage fool ^^ Senghor playing in a lower grade, are u all right? Someone who has been inducted in the French academy?

junk, junk, junk. Junk words from a junkie.

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) ... (46) (Reply)

Throwback Video Of Bola Tinubu's First Day As Governor Of Lagos State / IBB Opens Up On Dele Giwa's Death & 159 Officers On Crashed Plane / Ihedioha Begins Demolition Of Monuments Built By Okorocha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.