Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,378 members, 7,812,101 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:16 AM

Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe - Politics (43) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe (67910 Views)

Summary Of President Muhammadu Buhari Recent Al Jazeera Interview About Biafra / [must Read] Gov Amaechi’s Channels Tv Interview About Election Postponement / IBB Recent Interview About Life Without His Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 7:20pm On May 30, 2013
percipi1:

You are a liar. The idea of the African Writers series came from Heinemann executive Alan Hill. Chinua Achebe was appointed its first advisory editor . Okigbo had nothing to do with it. Founded in 1962. The books were designed for classroom use, issuing works solely in paperback to make them affordable for African students. They were published by Heinemann Educational Books (HEB) in London and various African cities. Soyinka rejected the idea of the series because of such classification. Have you heard anything called the “European writers series” Why Africa?

You are the real liar. The publishing outfit banked on achebe's vision, success, and editorial prowness to establish AWS. There was AWS because there was achebe. Recently at achebe's funeral, heinemann publishers in its tribute to achebe, highlighted why. Find that out for yourself if you are unbiasedly serious.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 7:23pm On May 30, 2013
ACM10:

Whenever you comment you expose your bias. You must tell me the criteria that makes a government acceptable within the civilized climes. I regret to say that you are arrogant. There is no difference between your ideology and that of the colonialists who thought they came to Africa to civilize them.

A culture that has the father as the head of the family; the eldest male as the head of the kindred; Ndi-ichies as the village representatives at the center. Every decisions must be debated by ndi-ichies and a concensus must be reached before it is considered binding. That proud republican culture is uncivilzed within the civilized climes of your world.

I don’t know why you are accusing me of bias. Am I supposed to agree with you if I do not share your opinion? Honestly, I think you are the one with prejudice.

If your claim is that a system where representatives of families are the trustees of the state power should be accepted as a sort of republican government; then you would have given the word ‘ republic’ another definition entirely because In a republic, officers of state are appointed or elected rather than inherited.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 7:39pm On May 30, 2013
Son-Of-El:

You are the real liar. The publishing outfit banked on achebe's vision, success, and editorial prowness to establish AWS. There was AWS because there was achebe. Recently at achebe's funeral, heinemann publishers in its tribute to achebe, highlighted why. Find that out for yourself if you are unbiasedly serious.

Are you really serious? You gave me a 'hearsay' and expect me to go find out whether its valid or not. Common you can do more than that. All you have to do to prove that your version of the story is correct is to direct me to your authority-it could be a newspaper, book or online report. Until you tell us where it is confirmed that "Henneman African Writers' Series was a collaborative effort of Chinua, Christopher Okigbo and the guyz at henneman" you remain the LIAR

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by ACM10: 7:40pm On May 30, 2013
percipi1:

I don’t know why you are accusing me of bias. Am I supposed to agree with you if I do not share your opinion? Honestly, I think you are the one with prejudice.

If your claim is that a system where representatives of families are the trustees of the state power should be accepted as a sort of republican government; then you would have given the word ‘ republic’ another definition entirely because In a republic, officers of state are appointed or elected rather than inherited.

Firstly, in Roman republic, were the senators appointed, elected or inherited?

Secondly, mention the criteria that makes a government acceptable within the civilized climes.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 7:40pm On May 30, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Okon, did you say an African oddity? You are wrong. If you don't understand Yoruba, whose culture WS uses a lot in his work ask for clarification. He may draw similarity between Yoruba and Greece, there is no problem. He has been a Professor of Comparative Literature for close to 50 years. On his being complex, that is his style, and as Professor Robert Fox points out in "From Tigritude To Transcendence: The Conscience And Conscientiousness of Wole Soyinka", 'an artist whose work is difficult need offer no appology.' His works are difficult just as the Yoruba Ifá literary corpus' Odu that is difficult because they are "oro ijinle" (deep words). Can you easily understand an onye ogwu or a dibia? Reason well.

an european wannabe, that is what soyinka is. Nobel prize has made him more european than the europeans. Serious inferiority complex. A godless, cult pioneering, nobelomaniac. God help his foolery. The bible says, ''a fool says in his heart that there is no God''. Oops! Have i said something disrespectful?
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by EASTSIDAZ: 7:47pm On May 30, 2013
Son-Of-El:

an european wannabe, that is what soyinka is. Nobel prize has made more european than the europeans. Serious inferiority complex. A godless, cult pioneering, nobelomaniac. God help his foolery. The bible says, ''a fool says in his heart that there is no God''. Oops! Have i said something disrespectful?

All their whinning and crying in bitterness does not change the fact that Achebe is the father of modern African literature. Others including their occultic 'hero'Soyika is under Achebe heels. Lol
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 7:48pm On May 30, 2013
ACM10:

In Roman republic, were the senators appointed, elected or inherited?

No, they were not elected, however, they were appointed by the consuls
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by ACM10: 7:52pm On May 30, 2013
ACM10:

Firstly, in Roman republic, were the senators appointed, elected or inherited?

Secondly, mention the criteria that makes a government acceptable within the civilized climes.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by ACM10: 7:53pm On May 30, 2013
percipi1:

No, they were not elected, however, they were appointed by the consuls

Your ignorance of the republican type of government is so obvious. Did you say that the Roman senators were appointed by the consuls in the republic era? hahaha grin

What's the origin of the word 'senator?
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by omonnakoda: 7:57pm On May 30, 2013
Awon Eboe guyns grin

Interesting chaps!!
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:01pm On May 30, 2013
[quote author=ACM10][/quote]

Maybe it will save us the bacon if you could give me the name of any country in the world that has practised or still practising the sort of government in practice in Alaigbo before the British invasion
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:05pm On May 30, 2013
ACM10:

Your ignorance of the republican type of government is so obvious. Did you say that the Roman senators were appointed by the consuls in the republic era? hahaha grin

What's the origin of the word 'senator?

I think you are the ignorant one here, if you dispute my fact, you should provide your own fact. You have not said anything to dispute what I said my friend. cool

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by ACM10: 8:10pm On May 30, 2013
percipi1:

Maybe it will save us the bacon if you could give me the name of any country in the world that have practised or still practising the sort of government in practice in Alaigbo before the British invasion

C'mon spare me the nonsense! Must we adopt a system of government from outsiders or should we chose a form of government that works for us?

I gave you a republican Roman example that closely mimmicks Igbo system of government during pre-colonial era.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:14pm On May 30, 2013
ACM10:

C'mon spare me the nonsense! Must we adopt a system of government from outsiders or should we chose a form of government that works for us?

I gave you a republican Roman example that closely mimmicks Igbo system of government during pre-colonial era.

Don't play that sort of game with me. The Roman republican system does not mimic of even share any close resemblance to the family representative system in Alaigbo in any shape or form. please lets be serious for once

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by ACM10: 8:15pm On May 30, 2013
percipi1:

I think you are the ignorant one here, if you dispute my fact, you should provide your own fact. You have not said anything to dispute what I said my friend. cool

You did not provide any fact my friend. Just ignorant claims. Anyway, I will tell you how senators gets their position during Roman republic when I gets hold of my laptop.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:20pm On May 30, 2013
ACM10:

You did not provide any fact my friend. Just ignorant claims. Anyway, I will tell you how senators gets their position during Roman republic when I gets hold of my laptop.

Good, i pray you get the laptop in time. Just remember that you are debating with someone who runs a private library. Be prepared. By the way, its nice chating with you. I have to go chill out now.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:52pm On May 30, 2013
EASTSIDAZ:

Nothing is can change the fact that Achebe single handedly brought Africa to the world stage.
Achebe is truly the father of modern Africa Literature. Soyika and his Yoruba people should deal with it or they take the path taken by awolowo- end it all(he committed suicide)
As far as I'm concerned, as you know, if you've started reasoning, Things Fall Apart, is not rich in literary prowess; it is widely used in the United States as more of an anthropology/sociology piece than as a literary text.
Before Chinua Achebe published the novel, people were publishing novels. For example, we have "Ogboju Ode Ninu Igbo Irumale" published in 1938 by D. O. Fagunwa. It was translated into English by Wole Soyinka as "Forest of Thousand Daemons" in 1963. Fagunwa who was the first Nigerian to employ folk philosophy in telling stories had the title of Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) conferred on him in 1959 by Queen Elizabeth. I know the "Jews" will play on this title, calling it a European title like that of the Nobel Laureate.

Amos Tutuola was another great novelist that published before Chinua Achebe. He wrote his first novel, "The Palm-Wine Drinkard" in 1946 and published it in 1952. It was translated to French by Raymond Queneau as "L'Ivrogne dans la brousse" in 1953. Tutuola wrote two other novels before 1956.
Get that into your head and not a none existing title.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:53pm On May 30, 2013
EASTSIDAZ:

Nothing is can change the fact that Achebe single handedly brought Africa to the world stage.
Achebe is truly the father of modern Africa Literature. Soyika and his Yoruba people should deal with it or they take the path taken by awolowo- end it all(he committed suicide)
As far as I'm concerned, as you know, if you've started reasoning, Things Fall Apart, is not rich in literary prowess; it is widely used in the United States as more of an anthropology/sociology piece than as a literary text.
Before Chinua Achebe published the novel, people were publishing novels. For example, we have "Ogboju Ode Ninu Igbo Irumale" published in 1938 by D. O. Fagunwa. It was translated into English by Wole Soyinka as "Forest of Thousand Daemons" in 1963. Fagunwa who was the first Nigerian to employ folk philosophy in telling stories had the title of Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) conferred on him in 1959 by Queen Elizabeth. I know the "Jews" will play on this title, calling it a European title like that of the Nobel Laureate.

Amos Tutuola was another great novelist that published before Chinua Achebe. He wrote his first novel, "The Palm-Wine Drinkard" in 1946 and published it in 1952. It was translated to French by Raymond Queneau as "L'Ivrogne dans la brousse" in 1953. Tutuola wrote two other novels before 1956.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 8:53pm On May 30, 2013
percipi1:

Good, i pray you get the laptop in time. Just remember that you are debating with someone who runs a private library. Be prepared. By the way, its nice chating with you. I have to go chill out now.

private library...so what? Is he supposed to get jittery over it? Private library indeed, or perhaps you mean a 2-column shelf in your oga's/daddy's office...
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:54pm On May 30, 2013
EASTSIDAZ:

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:58pm On May 30, 2013
EASTSIDAZ:

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 9:01pm On May 30, 2013
Ola Johnson:

if not yoruba, it can't be anything else. Eyaaaa..., insecured bigots.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by SonOfEl(m): 9:01pm On May 30, 2013
Ola Johnson:

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:16pm On May 30, 2013
Son-Of-El:

an european wannabe, that is what soyinka is. Nobel prize has made more european than the europeans. Serious inferiority complex. A godless, cult pioneering, nobelomaniac. God help his foolery. The bible says, ''a fool says in his heart that there is no God''. Oops! Have i said something disrespectful?
Your reasoning has been blocked. Yes, Wole Soyinka admits he is godless but far better than those that go to church but embezzle the treasury and those that go to mosque but kill for their religion's sake. If you have problem with understanding him, you may take the advice of his former student and dramatist, Femi Osofisan, "Soyinka is not for reading but for staging, for performance."
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:27pm On May 30, 2013
Son-Of-El:

But you can't dispute. You can call it whatever name you wish.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by omonnakoda: 9:28pm On May 30, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Your reasoning has been blocked. Yes, Wole Soyinka admits he is godless but far better than those that go to church but embezzle the treasury and those that go to mosque but kill for their religion's sake. If you have problem with understanding him, you may take the advice of his former student and dramatist, Femi Osofisan, "Soyinka is not for reading but for staging, for performance."
Soyinka does not admit to be "godless". He is known for his sacrifices to Ogun,and indeed his poetry e.g Idanre about Ogun both personal and his beautiful translations of traditional works.
Truth is 99.999999 % of contributors on this thread have not read any literature and have no clue what they are talking about
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:33pm On May 30, 2013
It is is a pity for any person to say Wole Soyinka is jealous of Chinua Achebe. Why would he? I won't say much, but that LONG LIVE THE LIVING LEGEND, WOLE SOYINK.
CONTINUE TO REST IN PEACE, CHINUA ACHEBE.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:51pm On May 30, 2013
omonnakoda:
Soyinka does not admit to be "godless". He is known for his sacrifices to Ogun,and indeed his poetry e.g Idanre about Ogun both personal and his beautiful translations of traditional works.
Truth is 99.999999 % of contributors on this thread have not read any literature and have no clue what they are talking about
I've been reading Wole Soyinka for years now. He admits that he is godless - animist - when Olusegun Obasanjo called him that. Ogun, is not in the true form, a god but an Orisha. There are other orisha like Sango, Obatala, etc. People are free to choose as many orisha as they wish. If you discover an orisha is not good for your ori (which could be your aspiration or destiny), you may drop it. Wole Soyinka has maintained that Ogun is his preferred orisha because he makes him muse on his literary prowess. He admits this even in his newest book, Harmattan Haze on an African Spring.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:59pm On May 30, 2013
Ola Johnson: Those that always cite Nadine Gordimer's statement, not even speech, that Chinua Achebe was the father of African literature when the latter won the Booker Prize in 2007, should ask themselves why didn't she make the same statement earlier in 1991 when she won the Nobel Prize in Literature. Is it not obvious it was a human error which we are all susceptible to as pointed out by Wole Soyinka? What was the basis of calling CA that when it was obvious that his last known book, Anthills Of The Savannah (1989), was published two years before Nadine Gordimer won the Nobel Prize in 1991? He later published There Was A Country in 2012, less than a year before he died.

Could it be that Nadine Gordimer was trying to compensate him because she knew CA would never win it. While the reason why a winner of the Prize is made public, the reason why other nominees lose is not. Gordimer, and by extension, Wole Soyinka, being past winners and possibly, possessing the power to nominate, probably knew why CA could not win it even more than twenty years before his death. It could be a thing which past winners keep secret to themselves. Of all his books only three are translated in Swedish. The number of his books which includes five novels, one list of short stories, one poetry and some children's book, could have also had an adverse effect on him not winning the Nobel Prize.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by ACM10: 10:02pm On May 30, 2013
percipi1:

Don't play that sort of game with me. The Roman republican system does not mimic of even share any close resemblance to the family representative system in Alaigbo in any shape or form. please lets be serious for once

The Senate had roughly 300 members. In the very early days of Roman history entry to the senate was by birth or rank. Later it was the consuls who nominated new members to the senate.
here

Nomination by consuls was during the dying days of the Roman republic. Does this form of government look similar to what is obtainable in ancient Igbo society?

By the way, do you want to intimidate me with your good-for-nothing library?
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 10:52pm On May 30, 2013
Son-Of-El:

private library...so what? Is he supposed to get jittery over it? Private library indeed, or perhaps you mean a 2-column shelf in your oga's/daddy's office...

Are you that thick? What does my running a private library got to do with you. If you have problem understanding people, its okay to ask question, it does not diminish your intelligence. But if you get annoy just because someone has something you don't , its a serious problem.
Re: Wole Soyinka's Interview About Chinua Achebe by omonnakoda: 10:58pm On May 30, 2013
Ola Johnson:
I've been reading Wole Soyinka for years now. He admits that he is godless - animist - when Olusegun Obasanjo called him that. Ogun, is not in the true form, a god but an Orisha. There are other orisha like Sango, Obatala, etc. People are free to choose as many orisha as they wish. If you discover an orisha is not good for your ori (which could be your aspiration or destiny), you may drop it. Wole Soyinka has maintained that Ogun is his preferred orisha because he makes him muse on his literary prowess. He admits this even in his newest book, Harmattan Haze on an African Spring.

Please do not argue like a child. Orishas are not gods

What does "godless" mean? You just make up meaningless categories like "in the true form" of a god . what is the "true form of a god,exactly?
Have you met a god before? for tea or lunch.

Even more ridiculous is your argument that an animist is godless.
Is there ONE animism in a "TRUE FORM" of animism too?
When you are in a hole,pause stop digging and think. In this case think before you type because you are sounding very glib and superficial

The fact that a man does not subscribe to a so called "true form " of god but chooses his own version of god or gods does not make him "godless" .
If I decide Chinua Achebe or Beyonce is god then so be it after all how is the case of Jesus Christ different? from Ogun?? is he too and his mother not Orishas

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (Reply)

Throwback Video Of Bola Tinubu's First Day As Governor Of Lagos State / IBB Opens Up On Dele Giwa's Death & 159 Officers On Crashed Plane / New Look Of Lekki Roundabouts (photos,video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.