Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,405 members, 7,815,892 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:25 PM

Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) (67033 Views)

Aregbesola Visits Ooni Ogunwusi, Squats In His Palace. See Photos / Emir Of Ibi Gave Melaye Fish At His Palace (Photos) / $12billion Taken Out Of Nigeria During Jonathan's Regime – EFCC Boss, Lamorde (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Nobody: 4:23pm On May 24, 2013
ROSSIKE:

Look at this little kid born yesterday. You think because you read one or two dodgy pamphlets you're now an authority in African history? Tell us the books you've read. Have you read Cheikh Anta Diop? Chancellor Williams? Basil Davidson? Olumide Lucas? Molefi Kete Ashante? Martin Bernal? WHO EXACTLY have you read in African history? Tell us.

Ade Obayemi, J. F. A. Ajayi, A. I. Akinjogbin, A. E. Afigbo, Jamil M. Abun-Nasr, Murray Last, R. A. Adeleye, Adu Boahen, B. O. Oloruntimehin, J. E. Flint, Michael Crowder, J. B. Wester, R. Cohen, E. J. Alagoa, A. F. C. Ryder, E. A. Ayandele, Sa'ad Abubakar, S. A. Balogun, Obaro Ikime, K. O. Dike, Saburi Biobaku, S. A. Akintoye, Tekena Tamuno, A. I. Asiwaju, Segun Osoba, A. Fajana, G. O. Olusanya, Robert Smith, and so on.

2 Likes

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Nobody: 4:27pm On May 24, 2013
ROSSIKE:

DUDE, you do not know the meaning of the now discredited Hamitic Hypothesis. That was a racist ideology which posited that developments in Africa were driven by non African influences. That is VERY different from the 'Afrocentric' consensus which posits that developments in Africa and beyond centered on interraction and relationships between settled AFRICAN communities in the Nile Valley/Levant with AFRICAN communities in Africa. Big big difference. The Hamitic Hypothesis posits that Egypt was a 'caucasoid/semitic' civilization. The Afrocentric thesis submits that Ancient Egypt was a BLACK AFRICAN civilization. So whatever we gained from or gave to Egypt, it was with regard to our fellow black Africans not foreigners.

Go back to your history.

1 Like

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Nobody: 4:31pm On May 24, 2013
omonuan:

The Igbo and the Bini use a lot of similar words....check it dude.
You've not shown me anything and said I should check. What is there to check?
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by hardbody: 5:00pm On May 24, 2013
oturugo: Oba Overanwen did not betray anyone nor was he betrayed. The Oba met a superior fire power and he surrendered. Apart from the Oba, the same superior fire power was responsible for the collapse of Aro confederacy, Ekwumekwu etc in Igboland.

Spot on. That was how they managed to decapitate the long juju of Arochukwu after a protracted war fare with the Aros in the 1800s

1 Like

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by teetee123: 5:08pm On May 24, 2013
Decency75: the book written by Ola Rotimi ( The gods are not to blame) explained it all. You people should go and read the book.

NO. Gods are not to be blamed is a greek mythology rewritten into African setting by Late Ola Rotimi. There is another book titled after the king.
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by bokohalal(m): 5:12pm On May 24, 2013
mamazita!:

A movie on this is currently being shot by Lancelot Oduwa Imasuen called 'Invasion 1897'. It is amazing. You guys should watch out for it. The British invade Benin, exiled the Oba and took away many priceless artefacts including the famous Ivory mask (of Queen Idia) used as Festac '77 mascot! You are right its about time we use film to tell our history but most times producers with these intentions face bottlenecks. Also the issue of sponsorship. A movie on this kind of topic should not be funded by an individual. What happened to the Ministry of Culture and Tourism? The Government of Edo state? Not to mention highly place sons and daughters of the Great Bini kingdom? It is not enough to blame Nollywood producers who use their hard earned personal cash to shoot commercial films they know will sell. They have to be supported.Anyway,Check out the trailer of the movie here http://www.nollywoodaccess.com/2096
Saw the trailer. Waiting for the full movie.
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by kooto(m): 5:24pm On May 24, 2013
nellaluv: Pictures they say speak a thousand words. This is a Photo of the Oba of Benin, Oba Ovonramwem, when he was arrested and taken out of his palace! this was later 18th centuries, right?
The story surrounds is that of power and betrayal. There is a great debate going on on how he was betrayed by his own people , the Obasekis. Please if you are of bini origin i urge you to enlighten us pls.

This does not look like an arrest to me, with the feets of those said to come and arrest standing in an alert position.
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by bamac(m): 5:56pm On May 24, 2013
Mad Cow: See as ehn humble.. grin

If to say na today Nigerian Police arrest am, this picture for look something like this;

[img]http://4.bp..com/-1qfBaAEUq4o/UUx4mSJ-AbI/AAAAAAAAPEM/qgJ7evejyPE/s400/nigerian+police+arrest+abuja.jpg[/img]

**Oba shouting OGHENE BIKO all the way**
laugh don tear my yansh oo
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by dayokanu(m): 5:59pm On May 24, 2013
Interesting
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by obaomoabu: 6:13pm On May 24, 2013
This was a true story: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi came to be the Oba of Benin in 1888.[1]
At the end of the 19th century, the Kingdom of Benin had managed to retain its independence and the Oba exercised a monopoly over trade which the British found irksome. The territory was coveted by an influential group of investors for its rich natural resources such as palm-oil, rubber and ivory.[2] The kingdom was largely independent of British control, and pressure continued from figures such as Vice-Consul James Robert Phillips and Captain Gallwey (the British vice-Consul of Oil Rivers Protectorate) who were pushing for British annexation of the Benin Empire and the removal of the Oba.
A British invasion force headed by Phillips set out to overthrow the Oba in 1896. The force's weapons were hidden in baggage, with troops disguised as bearers. Phillips plan was to gain access to Ovonramwen's palace by announcing that he intended to negotiate. Ovonramwen's messengers issued several warnings not to violate Benin territorial sovereignty, claiming he was unable to see Phillips due to ceremonial duties. Having been warned on several further occasions on the way, Phillips sent his stick to the Oba, a deliberate insult designed to provoke the conflict that would provide an excuse for British annexation.[3] Phillip's expedition was ambushed and all but two were killed. Subsequently a military operation against Benin in 1897 led by Harry Rawson resulted in the burning of Benin City and the deaths of untold numbers of its inhabitants. Although the British had orders to hang the Oba, Ovonramwen escaped, but later surrendered.
Ovonramwen was exiled to Calabar with his two wives, and died there in 1914. Note: Oba Ovonramwen happen to be the greatest of all Oba the Benin kingdom has ever have and by his exile he restore the culture of the Benins of which the British till today so respected among other tribe in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by sylve11: 6:19pm On May 24, 2013

If to say na today Nigerian Police arrest am, this picture for look something like this;

[img]http://4.bp..com/-1qfBaAEUq4o/UUx4mSJ-AbI/AAAAAAAAPEM/qgJ7evejyPE/s400/nigerian+police+arrest+abuja.jpg[/img]

Mad Malu @ it again. grin grin grin grin cool
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by cedrick: 6:21pm On May 24, 2013
Alfa Seltzer: From shoeless policemen in 18th century to shoeless president in the 21st century, I will say that nigeria is "advancing".

Walai we aint progressing chaaaa!!!!
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Nobody: 6:25pm On May 24, 2013

No wonder the comedian, Gandoki called our police men village boys.
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Deiok(m): 6:33pm On May 24, 2013
Edo have the best history in nigeria till date. Love reading about it.

1 Like

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:44pm On May 24, 2013
ROSSIKE:

Look at this little kid born yesterday. You think because you read one or two dodgy pamphlets you're now an authority in African history? Tell us the books you've read. Have you read Cheikh Anta Diop? Chancellor Williams? Basil Davidson? Olumide Lucas? Molefi Kete Ashante? Martin Bernal? WHO EXACTLY have you read in African history? Tell us.

BORN YESTERDAY YOUR FATHER! I saw the authors you quoted. ALL BLOODY GOD-DAMNED AKATAS! ALL OF THEM!

except that nincompoop martin benal who makes absurd claims that Greek civilziation depended on Africans and Phoenicians and Egyptians! WHAT A MONKEY! As though the Greeks were not capable of forging their own civilization. Its a great insult to the Ancient Greeks.

Ive never read more bogus and hoax works in my life. Ive stopped reading any theory by akatas concerning the origin of African Tribes. THey should stop poking themselves in our histories and distorting it. I HATE THEM.

IT IS HIGH TIME WE AFRICANS STARTED GOING INTO THE HISTORY/ARCHAEOLOGY/ETHNOGRAPHIC FIELDS and DO SOME RESEARCH OURSELVES AND WRITE OUR OWN TRUE HISTORY! angry angry angry angry

BEFORE SOMEONE ELSE WRITES THEM AND DISTORTS IT ACCORDING TO THEIR PREJUDICE.

these akatas have no identity so they are trying to falsely forge New Idenitities to make them seem great. bunch of drug addicts.
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:48pm On May 24, 2013
ROSSIKE:

DUDE, you do not know the meaning of the now discredited Hamitic Hypothesis. That was a racist ideology which posited that developments in Africa were driven by non African influences. That is VERY different from the 'Afrocentric' consensus which posits that developments in Africa and beyond centered on interraction and relationships between settled AFRICAN communities in the Nile Valley/Levant with AFRICAN communities in Africa. Big big difference. The Hamitic Hypothesis posits that Egypt was a 'caucasoid/semitic' civilization. The Afrocentric thesis submits that Ancient Egypt was a BLACK AFRICAN civilization. So whatever we gained from or gave to Egypt, it was with regard to our fellow black Africans not foreigners.

THERE WERE NO SETTLED AFRICAN COMMUNITIES IN THE LEVANT! DONT LIE! DONT FRIGGIN LIE WITH ME! angry angry angry angry

The NIle had African commuities, if my Africans you mean Egyptians and Nubians.

and STOP calling us black! WE ARE NOT SLAVES! CALL US AFRICANS OR BY OUR TRIBE! STOP YOUR RACISM! angry angry angry angry

I AM BROWN SKINNED AND I HAVE FLAT NOSE! WILL YOU CALL ME FLAT NOSE FROM NOW? angry
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:52pm On May 24, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Ade Obayemi, J. F. A. Ajayi, A. I. Akinjogbin, A. E. Afigbo, Jamil M. Abun-Nasr, Murray Last, R. A. Adeleye, Adu Boahen, B. O. Oloruntimehin, J. E. Flint, Michael Crowder, J. B. Wester, R. Cohen, E. J. Alagoa, A. F. C. Ryder, E. A. Ayandele, Sa'ad Abubakar, S. A. Balogun, Obaro Ikime, K. O. Dike, Saburi Biobaku, S. A. Akintoye, Tekena Tamuno, A. I. Asiwaju, Segun Osoba, A. Fajana, G. O. Olusanya, Robert Smith, and so on.

LOOK @ THIS MAN! KUDOS TO YOU BRO! SEE NAIRALANDERS?!!

your version of our history is not distorted because you read works done by AFRICAN authors. not akatas and oyinbos. THe GOds bless you my bro. You are on the right track. wink
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by johnie: 7:02pm On May 24, 2013
jonot: Found this on Wikipedia:

Ovonramwen Nogbaisi came to be the Oba of Benin in 1888.[1]
At the end of the 19th century, the Kingdom of Benin had managed to retain its independence and the Oba exercised a monopoly over trade which the British found irksome. The territory was coveted by an influential group of investors for its rich natural resources such as palm-oil, rubber and ivory.[2] The kingdom was largely independent of British control, and pressure continued from figures such as Vice-Consul James Robert Phillips and Captain Gallwey (the British vice-Consul of Oil Rivers Protectorate) who were pushing for British annexation of the Benin Empire and the removal of the Oba.
A British invasion force headed by Phillips set out to overthrow the Oba in 1896. The force's weapons were hidden in baggage, with troops disguised as bearers. Phillips plan was to gain access to Ovonramwen's palace by announcing that he intended to negotiate. Ovonramwen's messengers issued several warnings not to violate Benin territorial sovereignty, claiming he was unable to see Phillips due to ceremonial duties. Having been warned on several further occasions on the way, Phillips sent his stick to the Oba, a deliberate insult designed to provoke the conflict that would provide an excuse for British annexation.[3] Phillip's expedition was ambushed and all but two were killed. Subsequently a military operation against Benin in 1897 led by Harry Rawson resulted in the burning of Benin City and the deaths of untold numbers of its inhabitants. Although the British had orders to hang the Oba, Ovonramwen escaped, but later surrendered.
Ovonramwen was exiled to Calabar with his two wives, and died there in 1914.

Why does this remind of the Allied invasion of Iraq?
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:04pm On May 24, 2013
Nairalanders stop blaming our Kings and our Gods. India, CHina, Vietnam,Arabia etc., all were conquered by the whites. so its not just us so plz chill and have glass of garri.. cool
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by isalegan2: 7:08pm On May 24, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

LOOK @ THIS MAN! KUDOS TO YOU BRO! SEE NAIRALANDERS?!!

your version of our history is not distorted because you read works done by AFRICAN authors. not akatas and oyinbos. THe GOds bless you my bro. You are on the right track. wink

dude! i like you. cheesy but i've never met an african named "cohen." that "webster" sounds equally suspect, but unfortunately some of our people do have those slave names still.

btw, some akatas aren't so bad. some, no less than the percentage of nigerians (shame!), are very interested in our/their heritage and its survival.

Ola Johnson:
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:15pm On May 24, 2013
isale_gan2:

dude! i like you. cheesy but i've never met an african named "cohen." that "webster" sounds equally suspect, but unfortunately some of our people do have those slave names still.

btw, some akatas aren't so bad. some, no less than the percentage of nigerians (shame!), are very interested in our/their heritage and its survival.

R Cohen is a white man I think. but the majority of the authors he listed were Africans. yes a very few have sound views. but then again , you have black sheep everywhere (or is it white sheep? *smh)
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Nobody: 7:43pm On May 24, 2013
isale_gan2:

R. Cohen was was a European sociologist in ABU, Zaria, with strong interest in African history.
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by bokohalal(m): 7:49pm On May 24, 2013
R. Cohen is Jewish.
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Nobody: 7:53pm On May 24, 2013
bokohalal: R. Cohen is Jewish.
Serious. A Nigerian "Jew" or a Jew from Israel.
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:54pm On May 24, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Serious. A Nigerian "Jew" or a Jew from Israel.

European Jew i think.
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by tutu1: 8:42pm On May 24, 2013
Naija LOL

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by IleIfe2(m): 9:11pm On May 24, 2013
Ola Johnson:

Gbayi, database lomo. grin grin grin grin
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by redsun(m): 9:23pm On May 24, 2013
There was functional system that the british met.A system that was functional and harmonious.A system with morals and objectives.With human intellectuals and ingenuites.Unlike the present day nigeria.

The british came with high firepower and coward africans into surrendering,decimate the system and recolonize them.But at the end of the day,the power that wins is that of mental freedom.

3 Likes

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by badesco(m): 9:36pm On May 24, 2013
Freiburger:
grin grin grin
Haba.... Naija police with naija sense.
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by hero2947: 9:41pm On May 24, 2013
Olu'femi Abbey:

You shared my mind. There are lots of things we can learn from the old Benin Kingdom. The only link ¶'ve heard so far about 'em is that they're descendants from Oduduwa. More please.

Yes they are from Oduduwa, but when they starts to believe say na them get sense pass with their coded edo language, the Yorubas left them out of the Clan. so they joined the Ibos. During the civil war the ibo rejected them and left the at the mercies of the Fulanis, before their Oba Cried out in Yoruba language,then the Yorubas came to their rescue but Landuage don change so they are no where to be placed on the Geograpuical entity.

EDO, The Lost People.
Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by Nobody: 10:06pm On May 24, 2013
" Tell Moore that Oba Ovanremwen runs no more...if the ground runs away, where will it go except to pile up as mound, which makes the previous running useless"

Ola Rotimi- Ovanremwen Nogbaisi

1 Like

Re: Oba Ovonramwem Arrested And Taken-Out Of His Palace (Picture) by babanaba: 10:07pm On May 24, 2013
hero2947:

Yes they are from Oduduwa, but when they starts to believe say na them get sense pass with their coded edo language, the Yorubas left them out of the Clan. so they joined the Ibos. During the civil war the ibo rejected them and left the at the mercies of the Fulanis, before their Oba Cried out in Yoruba language,then the Yorubas came to their rescue but Landuage don change so they are no where to be placed on the Geograpuical entity.

EDO, The Lost People.
You are so big mouthed .You are actually a lost soul

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Several APC Members Killed In Lagos Campaign Crash (PHOTOS) / Seyi Makinde: I Used Carrots, Vitamin C, Blackseed Oil, Honey To Fight COVID-19 / Atiku Campaign Office In Katsina (Pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.