Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,943 members, 7,824,964 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 10:07 PM

How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? - Travel (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? (34322 Views)

Helping New Nigerians in Diaspora / Many Nigerians Living In Nigeria Hate Nigerians In Diaspora, Jealous Much? / Nigerians In Diaspora - Is It Really Still Rosy Out There? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by greatmen: 11:16am On May 26, 2013
playmode: I will come back to Nigeria permanently when our police officers are trained properly,armed with pistols instead of assault rifles,equipped with radios,equipped with tazers to subdue suspects without the use of lethal force while their assault rifles remain inside their car.This is how it is done in other civilized countries.Nigerian police are too militarized hence why they exchange gunfire with our soldiers and kill civilians at will.

be talking wen some crazy white kide with latest assualt rifle visits ur college were the bible has been abolished nonesense!
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by eksammy(m): 12:23pm On May 26, 2013
automaticcarzz: I have been living in the U.S since year 2001. I will be returning home when there is 24hr power supply. When there is good road network. When police are able to respond to calls within 5 minutes. When there is emergency health and fire response squad that respond to emergency within 5 minutes. When there is rule and order. When the police stop brutalizing the people they suppose to protect. When there is true democrcy. When the President stops harassing political opponents. When there is adequate security of lives and properties.

Thats to Say you will never return right?
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by 3RNEST(m): 1:28pm On May 26, 2013
Any Country u feel comfortable is your home, naija is where the soul originated! 'Home will always remain home' i miss naija so much sad

2 Likes

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Redman44(m): 1:29pm On May 26, 2013
Let me start by saying Nigerians need to start thinking like the Pakistani, Bangladeshi and Indian people. These Asians travel just like we do to Europe and North America just like we do. They however have a different mentality from us. They don't don't oppose themselves in a hostile manner like we do on Nairaland. Instead, they pool their resources together to fashion out a great lifestyle for themselves in the western world. I am currently in Birmingham ( UK ) and I am impressed with the mindset of some Asians I have come across. I am yet to see a very successful Nigerian business chain in the UK either in Retail, Engineering etc. Yesterday, I shopped at LATIFS in Birmingham. It was my first time of going there and I was shocked to discover that it is owned by a Pakistani family. The place is so big that you can't possibly cover the whole building on foot. And the facilities there are very modern. It has different floors and the things sold there are affordable and authentic. I saw a lot of White people buying things there. Instead of logging on to Nairaland to criticize ourselves and ask for Nigerians in diaspora to return home, why can't we emulate the Asians and seek to conquer Europe business wise? What is really wrong with us as Nigerians?

Harrods in London is owned by an Egyptian sad sad His name is Mohammed Al Fayed. He also owns Fulham Football Club. Nigerians have been immigrating to the UK for some time now. What have we achieved collectively cry cry cry cry? I'm not talking about us operating Barbing Salons or small restaurants ( Even our small African Restaurants have issues ). The white people prefer eating the Indian, Bengal, Pakistani and Bangladeshi cuisines than our own delicacies cry cry cry Why are we not marketing our food to Westerners ?. It is true that there is nowhere like home. However, what opportunities is Nigeria presenting to her citizens? I was in Nigeria recently and things haven't changed that much. Constant electricity has still not been achieved in Nigeria. I could not sleep well due to the noise of Generators. I stayed with our first born and all the flats in the compound had generators cry cry You can imagine the noise I had to endure every night as I battled to get some sleep. Yes, people do menial jobs in the UK and the USA, but they also move on to better jobs as the years go by. Nigerians migrate to the USA, Canada and the UK in different circumstances. I did not come to the UK as a student. I came on visiting and did not return to Nigeria because of my circumstances. People that came to the UK on student visas get a UK Degree that helped them get on the ladder of professional jobs. I did not have a chance to study in the UK. I am legal in the UK now and I am gradually learning the secrets of succeeding as an immigrant in Britain. There are some things I regret not learning before coming to the UK. Please, if you want to come and live in the UK, know how to DRIVE. Learn how to drive in Nigeria before travelling to the UK, USA or Canada. Also, it would be good if you are good with your hands. Acquire technical skills like Brick Laying, Welding or Rewiring. These skills will come in handy when you are here. If you can drive, you will be amazed at the kind of things you can do to earn money in the UK.

I love Nigeria a lot. However, I want to achieve some things here. London is not the only city in the UK. Move to a city where you can get cheaper housing. It will be hard at first to get jobs, but it pays in the long run. And please learn to drive as quickly as possible. Sell things online to augment your wages or open a business. I am interested in linking up with Nigerians in Birmingham and the West Midlands. Lets explore the opportunities of this place together. Email me at: tolukandi@yahoo.com Cheers.

6 Likes

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by jidewin(m): 3:17pm On May 26, 2013
rabosh: Been in the US since 1993 right after youth service at 23. I am at home in the US, home is not where you are born but where you are given opportunities to express your abilities, the sanctity of your human person is respected and guaranteed reward for your honest endeavors. NAIJA I'll always be but home is where I am now.
I agree 110%
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by jidewin(m): 3:18pm On May 26, 2013
By December Insha jesu!
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by jidewin(m): 3:22pm On May 26, 2013
justwise: @All

The topic is: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home?

Please stick to the topic.
Thanks for the notice Justwise.Some posting are completely irrelevant and out of order which some non-naijas would still come to use and insult us.
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Nobody: 4:27pm On May 26, 2013
[size=13pt]I wonder how and why this topic became so sensitive and personal.[/size]
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by lastpage: 5:18pm On May 26, 2013
GooseBaba:

So you had to take them to shanty towns in naija to see suffer abi..? This is ridiculous.. So suffer no dey that abroad..? Abi the things you give to charity are for people that don't need them...the fact that you had to show them suffer head in naija is absurd..suffe head no dey your backyard for yourda..?!! SMBA

GooseBaba, Dont blow your gasket over nothing. Nothing is absurd or ridiculous in it, if you understand what l intend to achieve in the long run.
I hate to say it but my children have never suffered or seen suffering, first hand.
I did it because l want them to "appreciate the other side of life".
Growing-up, l washed clothes with my hands but my own children have never washed clothes with their hands! They just throw-it inside machine and its done for them. They dont know what it is to live without electricity! I want to prepare them for "adverse life", God forbid, if it should happen.

I have a friend in Syria, who was a very successful 'local' businessman and his kids enjoyed every good thing of life.......well, until war broke-out! He lost everything and lives in turkey right now, ....but all the privileges are gone.
He does not mind but it is his children's disposition, to this adverse change of circumstances that is killing him gradually! They are just not used to suffering but now they are experiencing suffering (ration food, bath irregularly with with cold water, wash everything with hand, eat not the best of food, panic, fear, e.t.c).
I ask myself at times, "what if it was me"? What if l die suddenly? What if my circumstance change suddenly, what "survival skills" have l bequeathed to my children, to make the transition easier for them"

I try to learn from other people's situation and prepare my own children for the "worst case scenario" ...but still 'hope for the best', for them.
What we give to charity gets shipped down to Naija for those who are less privileged. Its just to give them a sense of learning to help others and not be too selfish or self-centered.

You may not agree with my principles but thats okay. Its my family, my children and its still my prerogative, on how to best prepare them for life.
How is your own children?

Lastpage
BTW: They also visited "chic areas" in Naija as l would not want them to think its all "doom and gloom" in our country ...and our house/area is not that "badt" as well.

1 Like

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by swtcharissa(f): 5:49pm On May 26, 2013
automaticcarzz: I have been living in the U.S since year 2001. I will be returning home when there is 24hr power supply. When there is good road network. When police are able to respond to calls within 5 minutes. When there is emergency health and fire response squad that respond to emergency within 5 minutes. When there is rule and order. When the police stop brutalizing the people they suppose to protect. When there is true democrcy. When the President stops harassing political opponents. When there is adequate security of lives and properties.
. Am sure that will be eternity then
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by jidewin(m): 6:27pm On May 26, 2013
Redman44: Let me start by saying Nigerians need to start thinking like the Pakistani, Bangladeshi and Indian people. These Asians travel just like we do to Europe and North America just like we do. They however have a different mentality from us. They don't don't oppose themselves in a hostile manner like we do on Nairaland. Instead, they pool their resources together to fashion out a great lifestyle for themselves in the western world. I am currently in Birmingham ( UK ) and I am impressed with the mindset of some Asians I have come across. I am yet to see a very successful Nigerian business chain in the UK either in Retail, Engineering etc. Yesterday, I shopped at LATIFS in Birmingham. It was my first time of going there and I was shocked to discover that it is owned by a Pakistani family. The place is so big that you can't possibly cover the whole building on foot. And the facilities there are very modern. It has different floors and the things sold there are affordable and authentic. I saw a lot of White people buying things there. Instead of logging on to Nairaland to criticize ourselves and ask for Nigerians in diaspora to return home, why can't we emulate the Asians and seek to conquer Europe business wise? What is really wrong with us as Nigerians?

Harrods in London is owned by an Egyptian sad sad His name is Mohammed Al Fayed. He also owns Fulham Football Club. Nigerians have been immigrating to the UK for some time now. What have we achieved collectively cry cry cry cry? I'm not talking about us operating Barbing Salons or small restaurants ( Even our small African Restaurants have issues ). The white people prefer eating the Indian, Bengal, Pakistani and Bangladeshi cuisines than our own delicacies cry cry cry Why are we not marketing our food to Westerners ?. It is true that there is nowhere like home. However, what opportunities is Nigeria presenting to her citizens? I was in Nigeria recently and things haven't changed that much. Constant electricity has still not been achieved in Nigeria. I could not sleep well due to the noise of Generators. I stayed with our first born and all the flats in the compound had generators cry cry You can imagine the noise I had to endure every night as I battled to get some sleep. Yes, people do menial jobs in the UK and the USA, but they also move on to better jobs as the years go by. Nigerians migrate to the USA, Canada and the UK in different circumstances. I did not come to the UK as a student. I came on visiting and did not return to Nigeria because of my circumstances. People that came to the UK on student visas get a UK Degree that helped them get on the ladder of professional jobs. I did not have a chance to study in the UK. I am legal in the UK now and I am gradually learning the secrets of succeeding as an immigrant in Britain. There are some things I regret not learning before coming to the UK. Please, if you want to come and live in the UK, know how to DRIVE. Learn how to drive in Nigeria before travelling to the UK, USA or Canada. Also, it would be good if you are good with your hands. Acquire technical skills like Brick Laying, Welding or Rewiring. These skills will come in handy when you are here. If you can drive, you will be amazed at the kind of things you can do to earn money in the UK.

I love Nigeria a lot. However, I want to achieve some things here. London is not the only city in the UK. Move to a city where you can get cheaper housing. It will be hard at first to get jobs, but it pays in the long run. And please learn to drive as quickly as possible. Sell things online to augment your wages or open a business. I am interested in linking up with Nigerians in Birmingham and the West Midlands. Lets explore the opportunities of this place together. Email me at: tolukandi@yahoo.com Cheers.

Respect!!!

1 Like

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Christmasdon(m): 8:26pm On May 26, 2013
Nigeria!!. The only country where people's head are up.
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Matthewbriggs(m): 9:16pm On May 26, 2013
Kai, looking at some of the post by Nigerians in diaspora I am not surprised.

Nigeria is a work in progress, it's either you choose to be a driver of this progress or run for shelter in the comfortable life the diaspora presents.

As for me I intend to be among those who will redefine her future. My personal motto as a young Nigerian is "never seek the easyway out, do the hardwork".

One of my key life's work is to make her a force to be reckoned with in the committee of nations in all ramifications. I once told my parents, if having a nice car, living in the best house, with a beautiful wife, lovely kids, and a well paying job is my purpose in life I better die.

I will be leaving soon for the US, but have no intention of building a life there, am just going there to build my knowledge base, get exposure and form relationships that will help me on my life's mission.

Nigeria needs me, I will pay the price to build a nation where the next generation will be proud off. I will not seek the easy way out by running off to another nation, whose parent's have already built in blood and sweat.

I know I'll face big challenges down the line, but by his grace I'll scale through

Nigeria is a work in progress, my work in progress.

As for the diasporans who never intend to come back, trust me you will not be missed.

3 Likes

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Nobody: 10:28pm On May 26, 2013
^^^ Interesting idealogy, and one to be applauded. Those who choose to stay away have their own reasons though, and should also be respected for their choices.

2 Likes

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Matthewbriggs(m): 10:38pm On May 26, 2013
Siena: ^^^ Interesting idealogy, and one to be applauded. Those who choose to stay away have their own reasons though, and should also be respected for their choices.

Very true... I quite agree.
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by mayblossom(f): 10:47pm On May 26, 2013
Na who no get money dey talk say stout dey bitter. tongue
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by justwise(m): 11:42pm On May 26, 2013
Matthew briggs:

Very true... I quite agree.

Really? You really do agree with him and you still have this to say here? https://www.nairaland.com/1303672/diasporans-never-missed

3 Likes

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by MMotimo: 3:36am On May 27, 2013
@ Post

Long enough to know where my real home is, long enough to know where our dreams for ourselves and our children can be achieved with the least amount of stress
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by jjman2322: 6:46am On May 27, 2013
I can offer a different view point on this subject because I lived in the states for the past 15 years, and recently just moved back to Nigeria (I'm 27 now)

Ok first of all guys, please stop comparing Nigeria to USA... Nigeria is not really safe, in the usa, i can leave my state by 11pm, and drive all night, and get to my destination at say 7am.. By driving all night, i mean im driving at 100km/h the WHOLE time.. zero potholes.. no police checkpoint.. no armed robbery, etc..

In the past 15 years in the usa, none of my friends have been robbed, car jacked, etc.. Of course there is crime in the usa, but it is MUCH lower than Nigeria... In the USA we dont use convoys, civilians dont have armed policemen.. heck even the governors drive around in a black SUV with maybe one guy with a gun in the front seat..

The security situation is MUCH better in usa than Nigeria, so please stop comparing the two of them...

I'll say this though, Nigeria has a lot of benefits over the USA... In Nigeria, you can get your way out of anything as long as you have some money... The food is great.. It's fun having maids, drivers, etc....

Basically i'll say this: If you're super rich, living in Nigeria is a much better option. You can always vacation in any country you want. However, if you're not rich and can't afford a luxury lifestyle in Nigeria, just stay back abroad, at least you will be making more than the $100/month that majority of workers make here..

One more thing, please stop bashing those abroad when they try to make comparisons.. It is the TRUTH whether you want to accept it or not.. In the past 15 years abroad, i lost electricity twice, both times for about 2-3hrs(Due to a storm).. In nigeria I've not had electricity for the past 2 days! Our generator is always running...

So in conclusion, the USA is MUCH MUCH safer, better facilities, internet works well, phone, tv, roads are great, i can leave my door unlocked, people dont have FENCES and GATES because you dont need them, etc...

But Nigeria is much more enjoyable once you have a little money to play around with.. No IRS to worry about, nobody can touch/harass you as long as you're important.

4 Likes

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by ksolo2013: 8:16am On May 27, 2013
yes really lol, abeg dont be angry sha how old are u cus u look young in ur pic@ adaobi123
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Nobody: 9:29am On May 27, 2013
k-solo2013:
yes really lol, abeg dont be angry sha how old are u cus u look young in ur pic@ adaobi123

I am young. tongue

Im 19 tongue
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Matthewbriggs(m): 9:47am On May 27, 2013
justwise:

Really? You really do agree with him and you still have this to say here? https://www.nairaland.com/1303672/diasporans-never-missed

I don't get what you are implying justwise. I agree we all should be respected for our choices as siena Pointed, But never to the continuous bashing of a nation that is still a work in progress... just because one is oppoturned to leave outside Nigeria and is exposed to the finer things of life.

And that is what the thread you are referring to stands for.
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by justwise(m): 9:55am On May 27, 2013
Matthew briggs:

I don't get what you are implying justwise. I agree we all should be respected for our choices as siena Pointed, But never to the continuous bashing of a nation that is still a work in progress... just because one is oppoturned to leave outside Nigeria and is exposed to the finer things of life.

And that is what the thread you are referring to stands for.

I think its hypocritical to agree that people choices should be respected then within minutes you started a thread titled: Nigerians in Diaspora, you Will Never Be Missed, all because they are living abroad and have the gut to criticize Nigeria ? And here you are preaching tolerant?
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Matthewbriggs(m): 10:04am On May 27, 2013
ogugua88: [size=13pt]I wonder how and why this topic became so sensitive and personal.[/size]

I am surprised as well. I think it started with people deviating from answering the simple question, To bashing Nigeria due to her many troubles in a Bid To give reasons why they intend not to return home.

Issues bothering around nationality, religion and race are very much personal and Sensitive because they define who we are.
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Daystar18: 10:08am On May 27, 2013

Man, this thread is not for you, then!! You will never come back.
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Matthewbriggs(m): 10:13am On May 27, 2013
justwise:

I think its hypocritical to agree that people choices should be respected then within minutes you started a thread titled: Nigerians in Diaspora, you Will Never Be Missed, all because they are living abroad and have the gut to criticize Nigeria ? And here you are preaching tolerant?

Did you even read or try to comprehend the content of the thread, aside the the title i gave it... I am not been hypocritical, I am been realistic.

I respect their choice. But that does not hide the fact that! Diasporans with no value for Nigeria will never be missed.

@Justwise.. are you implying you want us to miss you?
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by justwise(m): 10:22am On May 27, 2013
Matthew briggs:

Did you even read or try to comprehend the content of the thread, aside the the title i gave it... I am not been hypocritical, I am been realistic.

I respect their choice. But that does not hide the fact that! Diasporans with no value for Nigeria will never be missed.

@Justwise.. are you implying you want us to miss you?

Only God knows how you managed to come to that conclusion, miss me for what?

If somebody leaves Nigeria and refuses to come back its that person's choice, he or she owns Nigeria nothing, sometimes the name 'Nigeria' is even a burden.

1 Like

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Matthewbriggs(m): 10:27am On May 27, 2013
justwise: [/b]

Only God knows how you managed to come to that conclusion, miss me for what?

If somebody leaves Nigeria and refuses to come back its that person's choice, he or she owns Nigeria nothing, sometimes the name 'Nigeria' is even a burden.

So why the hell are you accusing me of being hypocritical? My thread is not in any way in conflict with my assertions here.
Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by justwise(m): 10:42am On May 27, 2013
Matthew briggs:

So why the hell are you accusing me of being hypocritical? My thread is not in any way in conflict with my assertions here.

Siena: ^^^ Interesting idealogy, and one to be applauded. Those who choose to stay away have their own reasons though, and should also be respected for their choices.

Since you agreed with Siena's view why then did you start a new thread slagging off those who chooses to stay away?

1 Like

Re: How Long Have You Lived In Diaspora & When Are You Returning Home? by Matthewbriggs(m): 11:38am On May 27, 2013
justwise:

[/b]

Since you agreed with Siena's view why then did you start a new thread slagging off those who chooses to stay away?

I am not slagging those who choose to stay away, but those who bash Nigeria... that's what that thread stand for If you read it very carefully.

For those who choose to stay over their I wish them well, Not everyone Will Find fulfillment here, But they should never in turn slag their contemporaries who are trying to build a nation they left behind, or think they will be missed.

That's what I am trying to achieve via my thread. Not what you are implying

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply)

SUV Collides With Sports Car In Ibadan, 2 Feared Dead (Photos) / Xenophobic Attacks : Air Peace Offers To Evacuate Stranded Nigerians In SA / Tanker Filled With Engine Oil Falls On 2 Women In Rivers State (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.