Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,039 members, 7,838,601 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 06:21 AM

Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us - Romance (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us (6170 Views)

How I Ended Up Marrying The Lady I Met On Facebook / 10 Ways To Avoid Marrying The Wrong Person / Why Do Naija Girls Born And Raised In Naija Act Funny?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by acidrop(f): 5:21am On May 07, 2008
y not. he's meant 2 be d head. u remeber 4 primary school. . . .whos d head of the family? abi u skip primary school sef?
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by 4Him1(m): 5:24am On May 07, 2008
Cadet:

two can play a captain.

in your imagination i suppose? There are no 2 captains on a plane, ship, presidential palace.
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by Cadet(f): 5:25am On May 07, 2008
4 Him:

in your imagination i suppose? There are no 2 captains on a plane, ship, presidential palace.
In your imagination, men will always be captain. shior
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by Cadet(f): 5:27am On May 07, 2008
acidrop:

y not. he's meant 2 be d head. u remeber 4 primary school. . . .whos d head of the family? abi u skip primary school sef?
In primary school, we weren't thinking about who is the leader of the house.
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by acidrop(f): 5:28am On May 07, 2008
in primary scool we were not thinking @ all, but babe, look at it on d natural side, u should submit nahhh, dont go and shame us in ur husband house oooooooooo
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by Cadet(f): 5:29am On May 07, 2008
acidrop:

in primary scool we were not thinking @ all, but babe, look at it on d natural side, u should submit nahhh, don't go and shame us in your husband house oooooooooo
Not submitting is a wife being shameful?
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by acidrop(f): 5:32am On May 07, 2008
wat u dont wanna submit, u wanna be rude and all that, cos dat the opposite of submitiing, yes it is shameful, cos u wont have ur fairytale marriage
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by Cadet(f): 5:33am On May 07, 2008
acidrop:

what u don't want to submit, u want to be rude and all that, because that the opposite of submitiing, yes it is shameful, because u wont have your fairytale marriage
Not being submittive does not alway equal rudeness. just to let u know
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by acidrop(f): 5:35am On May 07, 2008
yes it does. . . . xceot u get example
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by wendymanda: 5:35am On May 07, 2008
acidrop:

what u don't want to submit, u want to be rude and all that, because that the opposite of submitiing, yes it is shameful, because u wont have your fairytale marriage

You are surely joking, right?
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by acidrop(f): 5:37am On May 07, 2008
gurls on a serious note, take away the whole womanism and feminism thing away. it is a general thing for a lady to submit to her husband, y u wanna chnage that
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by wendymanda: 5:38am On May 07, 2008
acidrop:

girls on a serious note, take away the whole womanism and feminism thing away. it is a general thing for a lady to submit to her husband, y u want to chnage that

No its not. In a culture where it is encouraged even punishable if not practiced maybe. Other wise no submitting is not a general thing.
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by acidrop(f): 5:41am On May 07, 2008
waaaaaaaaaaaaaat? u lost me here.
wendymanda:

No its not. In a culture where it is encouraged even punishable if not practiced maybe. Other wise no submitting is not a general thing.

ofcourse its not a general thing, we saying d same thing. submiting is a general thing in most married house hold
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by wendymanda: 5:43am On May 07, 2008
acidrop:

waaaaaaaaaaaaaat? u lost me here.
ofcourse its not a general thing, we saying d same thing. submiting is a general thing in most married house hold

You say its general as if practiced all over the world however its only practiced widely in Nigeria. I wonder if any female politician submits to their husband like a docile puppy.
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by StephenP(m): 5:43am On May 07, 2008
[size=13pt]I think women should be submissive but many men do not know where the line is. They think being submissive means her agreeing with everything he says and that is what pisses many modern women off.[/size]
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by tpia: 5:43am On May 07, 2008
while submitting to your husband,keep checking to make sure he doesnt have someone locked up in the basement oh. undecided

sometimes the gragra don't question my authority attitude is a cover up for some crime he could be committing. undecided
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by Cadet(f): 5:46am On May 07, 2008
acidrop:

yes it does. . . . xceot u get example
Your husband does not want you to go out, you find a way to pacify him gently, changing his mind, until he lets you. No rudeness.
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by wendymanda: 5:46am On May 07, 2008
tpia:

while submitting to your husband,keep checking to make sure he doesnt have someone locked up in the basement oh. undecided

sometimes the gragra don't question my authority attitude is a cover up for some crime he could be committing.

Thank you. The only way I will submit is if he will submit which will bring us back to do ooo. Which kind submission in a marriage where we are equals. That is rubbish or nonsense as my dad would say.
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by wendymanda: 5:47am On May 07, 2008
Cadet:

Your husband does not want you to go out, you find a way to pacify him gently, changing his mind, until he lets you. No rudeness.

Or your husband does not want you to go out and then when he wants to go out you say no. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander.
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by Cadet(f): 5:48am On May 07, 2008
wendymanda:

Or your husband does not want you to go out and then when he wants to go out you say no. Whats good for the goose is good for the gander.
abi o
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by Uche2nna(m): 5:50am On May 07, 2008
I guess the situation here is the definition of submission in the context of marriage. Nobody is asking U to be a slave. Matter of fact most women that I know that are submissive to thier husband are the ones who eventually control thier hubbies like a puppet. The ones that scream "equal rights" are the ones who end up end up taking a whole lot crap.
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by acidrop(f): 5:52am On May 07, 2008
wendymanda:

You say its general as if practiced all over the world however its only practiced widely in Nigeria. I wonder if any female politician submits to their husband like a docile puppy.

submitting 2 ur husband dont necesarily mean u wont have ur own say. . . . .u are not imprisioned. . . . . u are looking at it form a slavery perspective. these female politicians if they dont submit to their husband its shamefull as well cos they should be role models.
Cadet:

but he is the one that still authorized u to go out now, after enough begging, only God know how u take begg am oooooo. but u still submitted and he the authorized u. bt even that is too rude on a woman's side, no man should just say "no dont go out" they should say it in a respective way and give reasons y not. a suitable one
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by StephenP(m): 5:52am On May 07, 2008
Uche2nna:

I guess the situation here is the definition of submission in the context of marriage. Nobody is asking You to be a slave. Matter of fact most women that I know that are submissive to their husband are the ones who eventually control their hubbies like a puppet. The ones that scream "equal rights" are the ones who end up end up taking a whole lot crap.
[size=13pt]I'm calling BS. That's so not true.[/size]
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by acidrop(f): 5:54am On May 07, 2008
StephenP:

[size=13pt]I'm calling BS. That's so not true.[/size]

i will agree with uche, what is not true about that. remember he said in most cases not all cases in his illustration. but his definition of submissive is very correct it dont mean u are a slave, its like listening to a senior bro, or a father's perspective
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by wendymanda: 5:56am On May 07, 2008
Uche2nna:

I guess the situation here is the definition of submission in the context of marriage. Nobody is asking You to be a slave. Matter of fact most women that I know that are submissive to their husband are the ones who eventually control their hubbies like a puppet. The ones that scream "equal rights" are the ones who end up end up taking a whole lot crap.

O.K one woman I know or would consider submissive had a stroke because of overwork and worrying about her husband. Anyone screaming equal rights probably will end up taking crap because they are probably crazy. However someone that believes in and insists on equality in their marriage probably will have a good marriage where they are not controlled or subjected to demands they can't meet.

Also there is no form of submissiveness in context of marriage submissive is submissive. I think the role of women in sex is submissive enough if you want more then too bad.
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by acidrop(f): 6:00am On May 07, 2008
wendy if ur hubby really loves u, he will never submit u to a demand u can never meet. i mean that is humane. . . . . . what is the hardwork, cooking and raisning ur children is hardowrk? u are kinda doing it for urself. @ d end of the day the love grows stronger and the kids love their mom
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by wendymanda: 6:00am On May 07, 2008
acidrop:

submitting 2 your husband don't necesarily mean u wont have your own say. . . . .u are not imprisioned. . . . . u are looking at it form a slavery perspective. these female politicians if they don't submit to their husband its shamefull as well because they should be role models.but he is the one that still authorized u to go out now, after enough begging, only God know how u take begg am oooooo. but u still submitted and he the authorized u. bt even that is too rude on a woman's side, no man should just say "no don't go out" they should say it in a respective way and give reasons y not. a suitable one

If you want someone to submit then it is as if they are imprisoned. Thus far all those on the defense for submitting have made it a one sided venture where only women submit. Therefore if it is not a concerted effort it must be some type of slavery.
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by wendymanda: 6:03am On May 07, 2008
acidrop:

wendy if your hubby really loves u, he will never submit u to a demand u can never meet. i mean that is humane. . . . . . what is the hardwork, cooking and raisning your children is hardowrk? u are kind of doing it for yourself. @ d end of the day the love grows stronger and the kids love their mom

Well I guess my problem of not being objectified into submission by my husband lies in me not wanting my children to segregate and have favorites. I want them to love us both the same. I guess that is what makes me different from women lobotomized into submission
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by acidrop(f): 6:05am On May 07, 2008
waaaaaaaaaaaaat noo way, i seriously disagree with that. submitting dont make u imprisioned. thats like following God's commandemnet christains sure dont act like theyy are imprisoned. and ofcourse the men submits too. jst that its not called submitting its called woman wrapper. now thats something i cant figure out.

wendymanda:

Well I guess my problem of not being objectified into submission by my husband lies in me not wanting my children to segregate and have favorites. I want them to love us both the same. I guess that is what makes me different from women lobotomized into submission
and what example are u giving ur kids, da its ok not to listen to their husband?
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by Uche2nna(m): 6:08am On May 07, 2008
wendymanda:

If you want someone to submit then it is as if they are imprisoned. Thus far all those on the defense for submitting have made it a one sided venture where only women submit. Therefore if it is not a concerted effort it must be some type of slavery.

U can see it as slavery but I bet U it is not. One cannot enslave oneself.

However, as long as U expect certain things to be initiated by man , like ask ur hand in marriage (not the other way round), dowry payments and all that stuff, U have to also give him that room to lead during the course of the marriage. The idea of giving him a little bit of room and trusting that he would be there for U and take care of U and if it comes to that, even lay down his life to protect U and the kids is what is known as submissiveness. DONT GET IT TWISTED!!!!
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by wendymanda: 6:16am On May 07, 2008
Unless showing my kids that mother is not an idiot but believes everyone has rights or teaching the children they should be assertive is telling them not to listen to their husband then no.

Also we should submit but men are women wrapper. There are just too many inconsistencies in this whole belief system.
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by wendymanda: 6:21am On May 07, 2008
Uche2nna:

You can see it as slavery but I bet You it is not. One cannot enslave oneself.

However, as long as You expect certain things to be initiated by man , like ask your hand in marriage (not the other way round), dowry payments and all that stuff, You have to also give him that room to lead during the course of the marriage. The idea of giving him a little bit of room and trusting that he would be there for You and take care of You and if it comes to that, even lay down his life to protect You and the kids is what is known as submissiveness. DONT GET IT TWISTED!!!!

As my mom puts it she was not bought. Both my parents I guess are forward thinkers because they don't believe in the dowry system. In the case of waiting for a marriage proposal. . . am shy until I want something and if I want something really bad I go for it believe, if I ever think a man is worth spending a life for then am asking. And am also one of those contemplating keeping or extending my last name especially since I want to get a doctorate degree.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Do You Kiss A Guy/lady Taller Than You While Standing Up? / . / Confusion Bum Bum, When Big And Small Bum Bum Jam To Twerk, This is Too Much

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.