Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,013 members, 7,838,544 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 03:36 AM

Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us - Romance (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us (6169 Views)

How I Ended Up Marrying The Lady I Met On Facebook / 10 Ways To Avoid Marrying The Wrong Person / Why Do Naija Girls Born And Raised In Naija Act Funny?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by acidrop(f): 3:36am On May 13, 2008
Cadet:

Acidrop, wetin be yours? If I dey cheer nko?
no prob now, u fit cheer as far as dem go pay u good. and u fine like a real cheerleader then goodluck
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by adconline(m): 8:51pm On May 13, 2008
Miss poster,

Culturally- yes- compatibility no. Maybe I did  not understand what you meant by this assertion. I had used that relationship 101 rules that say you must be compatible in order to be friends. Ma bad i misread your statement.

I was not  talking about you when I said about sharing fiances, but was referring to Naija men who brought their wives over to US. I hope you are also not looking for like minded views because such platforms don't exist here. Maybe in RNC or DNC.

Good luck with your man.
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by Nobody: 1:16pm On May 16, 2008
mrs poster,
In my opinion,if the 2 'parties' can get their compatibilty and cultural issues sorted out just like you 'claim' to have done, there is noting wrong with it. but as for me,d last ting i'll do is to marry an American or a born,bred and brought up Nigerian-American!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by Infoseye(m): 1:25pm On May 16, 2008
@ poster grin grin grin grin grin First of all CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Now there is nothing new perhaps it may be to u about this cultural thing i believe if u guys really love each other and understand each other there is always a way to settle such issue infact its not an issue to be worried about really unless he is been different or thinks different about the issue in picture.
The only problem I think you will have in future which I dont pray to happen to u is your children, they will be confused about where there from if they are white or simply nigerian I guess that where u come in later,
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by Busta(f): 1:27pm On May 16, 2008
There is nothing wrong with them.
its not like if u don't marry them. . .no one will.
as long as u both understand each other and love each . . the rest is history!
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by ievbuomw(f): 2:45pm On May 16, 2008
newtontoyo:

mrs poster,
In my opinion,if the 2 'parties' can get their compatibilty and cultural issues sorted out just like you 'claim' to have done, there is noting wrong with it. but as for me,d last ting i'll do is to marry an American or a born,bred and brought up Nigerian-American!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes my 'claims' are true. if not, we would not be married and going on our 4th year right? It is all about upbringing. It can be done and I tell you if you would have met me 5 years ago, you prob would have married me ,  winkAnyway if you read through the forum, you would know that I made this forum to see were it would go, for my cultural diversity class I am taking,  Your input is valued  grin

Infoseye:

@ poster grin grin grin grin grin First of all CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Now there is nothing new perhaps it may be to u about this cultural thing i believe if u guys really love each other and understand each other there is always a way to settle such issue infact its not an issue to be worried about really unless he is been different or thinks different about the issue in picture.
The only problem I think you will have in future which I don't pray to happen to u is your children, they will be confused about where there from if they are white or simply nigerian I guess that where u come in later,

Thank you for your well wishes!!! grin
This is true because of American society. It happened to me in high school. I wanted to fit in so bad and I was ALWAYS in the middle. No complaints just saying that since I have been there, I will know how to talk to my children and what to tell them if certain situations were to come up that 'daddy" may not understand. Its all about compromise,  I know  grin

Thank you guys for your input. It has worked well for my project. I did very well presenting this and I thank you all for your honesty.
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by Nobody: 1:22pm On May 17, 2008
mrs poster,
i tink i agree with ur responses so far and ur motive behind this post in all totality.i put the word 'claim' in inverted commas to stress the fact that none of us stays with you so we wouldnt know if its tru or not but be that as with may,i just registered my opinion on the issue(non subject to change) and i wish u a continual(or continuous) happy married life!!!!!!!!! cool
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by kenuoyibo(m): 5:03pm On Dec 13, 2009
well, just be submissive and respectful as a well-trained African babe has to be. dont override his authority as the man. dont nag at him, and dont abuse him. see him as the head of the home.(this is the mistake that akatas make that cause divorce). be a help-meet and a team player, rather than an opponent. there will be arguments and challenges, since you are from different backgrounds. if both of you are going to live together in Yankee,he will have to adjust more to the environment;if both of you will live in naija, you will have to adjust more.
finally, make him ur best friend, and tell what you dont like. communication is key in any relationship
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by RecentPost: 7:31pm On Dec 13, 2009
@Poster, Mwah!!!!!
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by CILondon: 7:42pm On Dec 13, 2009
Nigerians marry Americans whose great great grandparents were born and bred in America and have good marriages,talk less of a first?second geberation immigrant?
It depends on what you want it to be.

I wonder why your parents never took you home to learn and appreciate your culture
If they did you would see yourself as Nigerian and not start a thread like this.
what a shame!

I was born and lived in UK, then went to Nigeria and lived there for many, many years before returning to UK, and I still DON'T LIKE OR APPRECIATE Nigerian culture. In fact, it grates on my nerves! angry
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by snow123: 12:50pm On Dec 20, 2009
CILondon:

I was born and lived in UK, then went to Nigeria and lived there for many, many years before returning to UK, and I still DON'T LIKE OR APPRECIATE Nigerian culture. In fact, it grates on my nerves! angry

it depends on the part of Nigeria you came from.
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by snow123: 1:27pm On Dec 20, 2009
To those who said that they can;t marry a new Nigerian guys b/c of cultural different.This is what you don;t know.
1. that Nigerian guys have married to the white ladies and there is no problem in terms of cultural differences.
2.they should travel to Nigeria and see that most of the guys are more Americanised that those that were born here.
3. that they should stop seeing Nigerian guys based on what they read in the book {things fall apart}
Re: Nigerians Marrying Nigerians Raised In The Us by H2O2: 9:44pm On Dec 20, 2009
lol @ the term "New Nigerian" - funny lots.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Most Of Our Parents Married Without Courtship But They Luv Themselves More That Us Today. Why? / Why do men keep pictures of their Ex-girlfriends? / Please Help Me, I Want To Stop Masturbation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.