Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,991 members, 7,821,456 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:15 PM

Are We Underestimating Nairaland As A Means To Meet A Partner? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Are We Underestimating Nairaland As A Means To Meet A Partner? (14304 Views)

Why Do People Use Marriage As A Means To Insult Single Successful Women? / 10 Things Most Girls Do When Going To Meet Their Boyfriends / Help! He Used My Sextape As A Means To Sleep With Me. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are We Underestimating Nairaland As A Means To Meet A Partner? by Blackteeth(m): 11:07am On Jul 13, 2013
Am not really looking for a partner on Nairaland but I just decided to share this opinion of mine.
I think we are looking down on Nairaland as an online platform to meet a partner. It appears to be more powerful with some advantages over meeting a partner offline in public places if some guidlines are followed. let me list some advantages of meeting a partner online over an offline public encounter.

A site like Nairaland will prove to be more effective than the usual dating site cos of the ability to interact with many people and the availability of posting records. Usually when you meet someone offline in any public location, you have to begin the long processes of getting to know him/her better. This whole process can take months or more. But taking an online environment like Nairaland for example, Nairaland keeps records of posts. If there is anyone you are noticing, you can check his/her posting history to figure out more about her. You can get enough information about him/her from his/her posting history in few minutes such that if you had met him/her offline in a public place, it would have taken months to get all that information. In his/her posting history you can figure out his/her good and bad side and more all in minutes and decide if he/she is the kind of person you are looking for. The big advantage here is you have a chance to know alot about someone even before showing interest and eventually meeting the person. And of course the time frame of knowing the person has been cut to a minimum. ;-)

Secondly, in a site like Nairaland for instance, you can come across and interact with thousands of people at a given time. This means you can "watch" many people at the same time more than what you can achieve offline. Therefore spotting your kind of person can be faster. In the offline setting, you cant interact with and scan such large number of people in less time. This delays your chances of finding your kind of person.

The third reason is that everyone online is always in a mood to talk. Unlike trying to approach a girl or guy in a public place, you are always not sure if the person is the right mood to talk to you or not. You are always unsure of what his/her reaction will be like. So meeting someone online can always remove this uncertainty.

Another reason is that meeting someone online and then chatting for a while helps to reduce tension, boost confidence and make conversation smoother when you both see each other offline. Some of us are not good in maintaining conversations in offline public encounters. But talking online is quite easier for everyone and this can lay the foundation of a good discussion when you both see each other offline later on. All you have to do is simply continue topics you guys were discussing while chatting online. ;-)

In a more organized online setting assuming Nairaland has advanced search and filtering features, you can search for people having the exact age, location, height, skin color, occupation etc that you need in few minutes. But doing this kind of search offline in public places appears like an impossible task.

Now here comes the major thing that will make meeting a partner online an easy success over public encounters. This has to do with MANY PICTURES. One of the big factors that have made meeting a partner online appear ineffecient is that in most cases we only upload one or two pictures of ourselves. The truth remains that you cant figure out the real appearance of a person you saw online by only viewing 1 or 2 of his/her photos. The single picture you saw online can look very different from the person you will eventually see in reality. To solve this problem, we have to be talking about uploading as many as 50 pictures and above. Lets assume Nairaland supports up to 50 profile picture uploads. Lets say a guy is noticing a female poster called Amanda. He always likes Amanda's comments. So he decided to check out her profile page. He saw that Amanda has up to 50 different uploaded pictures in good quality. He took his time to view them all. Viewing all that 50 pictures of Amanda is enough to give a clear idea of how Amanda will look like in reality, and that would prevent any suprises when he meets her in person. Those 50 pictures are enough to tell him if Amanda has the physical attributes he is searching for. Viewing Amanda's 50 pictures would also give him a chance to see her in different forms, fashion and with or without makeup. ;-)

In addition to all I have said, some of us would say fraudsters are online. But the truth is that the same way we have good and bad people offline is also the same way we have good and bad people online of equal proportion. ;-) In other words, you can meet a good and bad guy online same way you can also meet a good and bad guy offline. ;-)

So what do you guys think? Are we underestimating the alternative of meeting people online like on Nairaland?

19 Likes

Re: Are We Underestimating Nairaland As A Means To Meet A Partner? by xynerise: 11:16am On Jul 13, 2013
We all have our different reasons to be here.

1.Some are here to advertise their products

2.Some are here to get an online partner

3.Some are here to have fun

4.Some are here to get information on Jobs and news around Africa and the world.

5.Some are here to get educated, get inspired and develop a good communication skills.

6.Some dont know why they are here. grin

So we all have a different view of what Nairaland is to us.

26 Likes

Re: Are We Underestimating Nairaland As A Means To Meet A Partner? by Cholls(m): 11:28am On Jul 13, 2013
^^^ So my brother where do u belong on your list?
Re: Are We Underestimating Nairaland As A Means To Meet A Partner? by xynerise: 11:45am On Jul 13, 2013
Cholls: ^^^ So my brother where do u belong on your list?
1&3
Re: Are We Underestimating Nairaland As A Means To Meet A Partner? by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jul 13, 2013
Brilliant analysis. A bit exaggerated, but brilliant allthesame.

1 Like

Re: Are We Underestimating Nairaland As A Means To Meet A Partner? by drnairalov: 12:58pm On Jul 13, 2013
lol, dunno but Nairaland, is so not it in looking 4 a partner or whatsoever u may call it, the atmosphere is bad, wellsome peeps might meet, but d settings of Nairaland aint it to me, some gals dnt even ve dia pics on here.. nairaland is preferable in learning how to argue, insult...and learn more about Tonto Dikeh

ok leme give u a suitable place, to find a partner, ve u heard of twitter? if yes that's a very suitable place... i mean dere re lot of beautiful chicks dere, infact lot of girls woo me dere, i've a pretty gf so i pass. the girls re free dere, unlike here, nd u ve more chance to interact, I don't ve my pics on dere, but still some gals re interested in me, nd beautiful ones..its just that easy over there if uknw how 2 use twitter, i ve more female followers also.. if u want some single chicks on twitter i cud hook u up, follow me @9jawhisperer.. or just check ma followers list for some gals ok
N.B am not a love-vendor tho

2 Likes

Re: Are We Underestimating Nairaland As A Means To Meet A Partner? by clemz85(m): 1:41pm On Jul 13, 2013
sure! i'm here for # 5

1 Like

Re: Are We Underestimating Nairaland As A Means To Meet A Partner? by Fkforyou(m): 1:59pm On Jul 13, 2013
Nice thread,it just that sometimes it's not easy to know d true colour of someone esp. on a faceless forum like this,e.g some people that are noisemakers online might actually be the shy and timid type,when you meet them personally or offline.

8 Likes

Re: Are We Underestimating Nairaland As A Means To Meet A Partner? by Fkforyou(m): 2:01pm On Jul 13, 2013
By the way am here for no 3 & 5....
Re: Are We Underestimating Nairaland As A Means To Meet A Partner? by SLIDEwaxie(m): 2:36pm On Jul 13, 2013
1 and 3 on point...
Re: Are We Underestimating Nairaland As A Means To Meet A Partner? by Nobody: 2:39pm On Jul 13, 2013
Nairaland has many good uses, but for hooking up with a partner undecided

I advice you to look elsewhere.
Re: Are We Underestimating Nairaland As A Means To Meet A Partner? by LOUDmedia(m): 2:43pm On Jul 13, 2013
@OP. Great observation. Thumbs up!
Re: Are We Underestimating Nairaland As A Means To Meet A Partner? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jul 13, 2013
Number 6 all the way. grin

4 Likes

Re: Are We Underestimating Nairaland As A Means To Meet A Partner? by AbuMikey(m): 3:07pm On Jul 13, 2013
BrB Asap!
Re: Are We Underestimating Nairaland As A Means To Meet A Partner? by opensecret: 3:28pm On Jul 13, 2013
Do you know who you are meeting, but if you want to take the risk, go ahead.

Somebody has to marry the people here, not so?

1 Like

Re: Are We Underestimating Nairaland As A Means To Meet A Partner? by omiobo: 3:46pm On Jul 13, 2013
All of the above!
Re: Are We Underestimating Nairaland As A Means To Meet A Partner? by Mynd44: 4:02pm On Jul 13, 2013
I have always and will always be for number 3. Every other reason can go to hell
Re: Are We Underestimating Nairaland As A Means To Meet A Partner? by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jul 13, 2013
op, you really took time to write all that to pass across your point WAOH! GOOD JOB! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
No 3 it is for me...always!
I think that antelope's list is enough thread on it's own!

1 Like

Re: Are We Underestimating Nairaland As A Means To Meet A Partner? by 190: 6:44pm On Jul 13, 2013
undecided undecided
Re: Are We Underestimating Nairaland As A Means To Meet A Partner? by xynerise: 6:55pm On Jul 13, 2013
sexkillz: Number 6 all the way. grin

But you have a testimony to share tongue

Once upon a time I met Ogugua on NL........ grin

7 Likes

Re: Are We Underestimating Nairaland As A Means To Meet A Partner? by dasparrow: 7:02pm On Jul 13, 2013
@Post

I will recommend Nairaland as a source of information to know what is happening in the country and such. However, I can never recommend Nairaland as a place to find a potential partner. There are too many 'kids', bigots, and mentally incompetent people on this forum. Anyone who intends to find a partner on Nairaland, I wish that person the best of luck.

1 Like

Re: Are We Underestimating Nairaland As A Means To Meet A Partner? by k2039: 8:02pm On Jul 13, 2013
xynerise: We all have our different reasons to be here.

1.Some are here to advertise their products

2.Some are here to get an online partner

3.Some are here to have fun

4.Some are here to get information on Jobs and news around Africa and the world.

5.Some are here to get educated, get inspired and develop a good communication skills.

6.Some dont know why they are here. grin

So we all have a different view of what Nairaland is to us.

7. Some are here to demonstrate their extreme stupidity.

@Op, I'll meet my wife outside of nairaland, afterwards ask her to join or I will meet her outside of nairaland and ask her for her user name. (I never found her here, I only located her here after finding her on the outside).

2 Likes

Re: Are We Underestimating Nairaland As A Means To Meet A Partner? by Smartiegurl(f): 8:10pm On Jul 13, 2013
3 & 5 all the way!!! Every other reason, gbakwa oku....nice piece though @OP.
Re: Are We Underestimating Nairaland As A Means To Meet A Partner? by Smartiegurl(f): 8:12pm On Jul 13, 2013
k2039:

7. Some are here to demonstrate their extreme stupidity.

@Op, I'll meet my wife outside of nairaland, afterwards ask her to join or I will meet her outside of nairaland and ask her for her user name. (I never found her here, I only located her here after finding her on the outside).
Akuko Uwa!!

2 Likes

Re: Are We Underestimating Nairaland As A Means To Meet A Partner? by k2039: 8:17pm On Jul 13, 2013
Smartie gurl: Akuko Uwa!!
Meaning??
Re: Are We Underestimating Nairaland As A Means To Meet A Partner? by Mynd44: 8:20pm On Jul 13, 2013
k2039: Meaning??
She likes you

2 Likes

Re: Are We Underestimating Nairaland As A Means To Meet A Partner? by Blackteeth(m): 8:47pm On Jul 13, 2013
dasparrow: @Post

I will recommend Nairaland as a source of information to know what is happening in the country and such. However, I can never recommend Nairaland as a place to find a potential partner. There are too many 'kids', bigots, and mentally incompetent people on this forum. Anyone who intends to find a partner on Nairaland, I wish that person the best of luck.

Dont you think we still have many 'kids', bigots and mentally incompetent people outside Nairaland too?

1 Like

Re: Are We Underestimating Nairaland As A Means To Meet A Partner? by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jul 13, 2013
Blackteeth: In addition to all I have said, some of us would say fraudsters are online. But the truth is that the same way we have good and bad people offline is also the same way we have good and bad people online of equal proportion. ;-) In other words, you can meet a good and bad guy online same way you can also meet a good and bad guy offline. ;-)

All was well said, but especially this.

1 Like

Re: Are We Underestimating Nairaland As A Means To Meet A Partner? by djeezy(m): 8:50pm On Jul 13, 2013
It could be a good start for many but to me, hell yes, I still underestimate it. Hi everyone.
Re: Are We Underestimating Nairaland As A Means To Meet A Partner? by jmoore(m): 8:59pm On Jul 13, 2013
Mynd_44:
She likes you
Who is teaching you Igbo?
Re: Are We Underestimating Nairaland As A Means To Meet A Partner? by MrsChima(f): 9:05pm On Jul 13, 2013
Meeting men online?

No thanks!
Re: Are We Underestimating Nairaland As A Means To Meet A Partner? by Mynd44: 9:10pm On Jul 13, 2013
Mrs.Chima:
Meeting men online?

No thanks!
Why? You don't know what you are missing

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Let's Create New Relationships: Romanceland Matchmaking Thread / Please Help!!! See What My Boyfriend Does Every Minute (graphic Details) / Unbelievable!see What Guy Was Caught Doing To Lady Inside Pool(pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.