Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,239 members, 7,953,905 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 08:37 AM

Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja (47137 Views)

"What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" / Virgin Mary Statue In St. Joseph Church In Iraq Crying, Tears Turned To Blood / Virgin Mary Image Seen On Hospital Window In Malaysia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jul 22, 2013
Afam4eva:
I quoted a part of the bible that says that jesus is the only intercessor which invariably means that no one else can assume that status. So, these questions don't make sense except you can tell me where the bible says we should sing low as opposed to singly loud or where the bible says we shoult not shout the blood of Jesus. These things were invented by humans without scriptural backings but that doesn't mean it's wrong to do these things. It's different from going against what the bible says.
lol hypocrites. if u must follow the bible do it to the fullest , going by your logic what's is not written in the bible is forbidden , no?
Re: Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jul 22, 2013
swaggzo: is that what your own mother Mary looks like?. as smallish and shorter than a single window pane?
haba guys.. you don't need a wolves nose to smell or sense the dead fouls play from that so called appiration image. I can even draw that with my pee!
Re: Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja by Nobody: 4:16pm On Jul 22, 2013
Beey: But Mary isn't the only woman in the Bible that received angelic visitation.What of Elizabeth & Samson's mother??What shall we say of Moses that saw God at the mountain?He's the only one in the Bible & that makes him very special.Should we know start asking him to pray for us?Come out of idolatry.
hum "Christians"(Catholic) don't follow the Old testament. the old testament is only used to show us how Jews were living prior Christ's arrival . they didn't respect God law etc ..that's why he sent his Son
Re: Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja by Afam4eva(m): 4:16pm On Jul 22, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: lol hypocrites. if u must follow the bible do it to the fullest , going by your logic what's is not written in the bible is forbidden , no?

Where did i make such an assertion. Stop running away from the truth. If jesus says we must pray in his name and we go and start praying in another person's name, it's wrong. But if Jesus doesn't say so, then if we decide to pray in the name of people we honour, God will not hold it against us because it was not explicitly written on whose name we should pray.
Re: Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jul 22, 2013
Afam4eva:
You're shifting goal post. The thread is about Mary's image been cited in Edo state and i said since we don't know what the real Mary looks like, we can't say it's Mary's image but we can say it's "Accepted Mary's image" or some thing else. I'm not in anyway against those images. I'm just saying that they should remain what they are "Representations".
well i'm the one who called it representation . so how am i shifting anything ?
Re: Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja by Afam4eva(m): 4:18pm On Jul 22, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: well i'm the one who called it representation . so how am i shifting anything ?
You're claiming that i'm against those representations whereas i was specifically referring to the way catholics carry Mary.
Re: Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja by Adamskuty(m): 4:19pm On Jul 22, 2013
agbalej: I was in d church when all of a sudden, d image started appearin on d wall. We were all amazed at d sight of it, as i was seated right there where d image is. I jst came back frm dia nw n d image is stil present. We r nt 2 judge, b b dt as it may, i ve 2 things in mind. Its is eida such is 2 prove dt dia s power in d Catholic church, or dt d people ve sinned. Until d air is cleared on ds by d church, i refuse 2 judge. Besides, in d days of Jesus Christ, dia ws Doubtin Thomas! I am a native of Ubiaja, i saw it myself.
dont be decieved,it's the devil image you guys saw
Re: Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja by DECOtech(m): 4:21pm On Jul 22, 2013
Lucifer just kak for one corner, de laf.
Re: Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja by Cemua(f): 4:21pm On Jul 22, 2013
Wat u don't knw is bigger than u! Learn to respect heavenly being so dat ya words may not bring condemnation unto u!
Re: Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jul 22, 2013
A saying that is well known among Catholics is, "To Jesus, through Mary." This does not mean, "To Mary, through Jesus." Nor does it mean, "To Jesus and to Mary." This saying affirms that Catholics do not pray "to" Mary as an equal to God. They pray "through" Mary as an intercessor who prays to God on behalf of mankind.

If Catholics were to pray to Mary, this would imply that they are worshipping her as a god. But Catholics do not perceive Mary as a god. (i) They honour the Blessed Virgin Mary. (ii) The view Mary as the holiest of all the Saints. (iii) The accept the fact that Mary is the most successful Saint at obtaining Divine favours through her intercession
Afam4eva:
Where did i make such an assertion. Stop running away from the truth. If jesus says we must pray in his name and we go and start praying in another person's name, it's wrong. But if Jesus doesn't say so, then if we decide to pray in the name of people we honour, God will not hold it against us because it was not explicitly written on whose name we should pray.

First of all, because Mary was the birth mother of the humanity of Jesus in who "the fullness of the deity (God) was pleased to dwell bodily," [Col. 1:19, 2:9] Catholics recognize the Virgin Mary as the Mother of God.

Secondly, because Mary was "favoured by God" [Lk. 1:30] when she was personally chosen by the Lord to become the mother of Jesus, God incarnated, Catholics believe that they have a greater chance of obtaining God's grace for their daily physical and spiritual needs by asking Mary to intercede on their behalf.

Thirdly, the above mentioned belief is partially based on the fact that Jesus is the King of kings and Mary, as the mother of the King, is the "queen mother." Then, when studying Jewish history, it is discovered that the institution of the "queen mother" was established during the reign of King Solomon.

In the Old Testament, we learn of the favoured position of the queen mother through the following words, "... then the king sat on his throne, and had a throne brought for the king's mother, and she sat on his right. Then she said, 'I have one small request to make of you, do not refuse me.' And the king said to her, 'Make your request, my mother, for I will not refuse you.'" [1 Kgs. 2:19-20]

Following the reign of King Solomon, many of the kings kept this practice. The mother of the king, through who the king received his throne, was trusted as a confident and advisor. So important was the function of the queen mothers in the days of the Old Testament that their names were listed in the succession records of the kings of Judah. [See 1 Kgs 14:21, 15:13; 2 Kgs. 12:1, 14:2, 15:2, etc...]

Similar to the intercession of the Queen Mother, when a child desires a favour and cannot obtain it from his/her parents, frequently the child will make the request to the grandparent to intercede on his/her behalf, therefore obtaining the favour that was being sought. This does not mean that the child is seeking the parental favour from the grandparent. Rather, the child is seeking the intercession of the grandparents before the parents.

Furthermore, Catholics do not differentiate between the living (in this world) and the dead (those who departed) members of the Body of Christ (the fullness of the Church.) The fullness of the mystical Body of Christ is found in the union of all the saints, past and present, here below and those above in Heaven.

In view of the aforementioned, it cannot be denied that those who were called to Heaven, including Mary, are still alive in spirit in the Kingdom of God that coexists with our world. As some non-Catholics pray through their deceased parents, grandparents or other biological relatives, asking these beloved departed persons to intercede before God on their behalf, Catholics pray through Mary to Jesus, taking advantage of her blessed position as the Mother of God.

This Catholic action affirms the prophetic and Divinely inspired passage that is found in the Holy Bible where it states, "Surely, from now on all generations will call me blessed." [Lk. 1:47] All generations could not call Mary blessed if she was not actively involved in the progressive Divine Plan that continues to develop before our eyes.

Indeed, all generations have called the Blessed Virgin Mary blessed, including this one, because she has never stopped interceding on behalf of the world, her intercession obtaining endless miraculous cures and other favours. The role of Mary in the area of obtaining physical miraculous cures is well known and documented in Lourdes, France, this being only one of the many holy places where the grace of God has been manifested through the Virgin Mary at apparition sites

3 Likes

Re: Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja by Beey(f): 4:23pm On Jul 22, 2013
Adamskuty: dont be decieved,it's the devil image you guys saw
Hahaha,you are something else.A piece of work shall I say.
Re: Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja by Afam4eva(m): 4:24pm On Jul 22, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: A saying that is well known among Catholics is, "To Jesus, through Mary." This does not mean, "To Mary, through Jesus." Nor does it mean, "To Jesus and to Mary." This saying affirms that Catholics do not pray "to" Mary as an equal to God. They pray "through" Mary as an intercessor who prays to God on behalf of mankind.

If Catholics were to pray to Mary, this would imply that they are worshipping her as a god. But Catholics do not perceive Mary as a god. (i) They honour the Blessed Virgin Mary. (ii) The view Mary as the holiest of all the Saints. (iii) The accept the fact that Mary is the most successful Saint at obtaining Divine favours through her intercession
But the question now is, did the bible say we can pray to Mary as an intercessor? Pls i need an answer

Did the bible specifically say that we have to pray to Jesus to intercede on our behalf. Yes or No?

Everything we need to know is in the bible. I don't know why we keep adding salt and pepper to Christianity.

2 Likes

Re: Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jul 22, 2013
Afam4eva:
You're claiming that i'm against those representations whereas i was specifically referring to the way catholics carry Mary.
Mary is important to Catholic and they honor her .what's wrong with and why does it bother u? mary interced for the people of Canaan . Jesus himself said his time was yet to come but Mary(that u called mere conduct to bring Jesus on earth) was the one who convinced him and made him accomplish his first miracle. if he wasn't for her Jesus wouldn't help them .
Re: Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja by sugardaddy1(m): 4:24pm On Jul 22, 2013
Afam4eva:
What does it mean to honour Mary? is she the only one that worth honoring? It sure sounds like you're worhiping her though you say you honour her and the bolded statement just shows that you guys kinda see her as a God .
No, we see her as the "Mother of God"
Re: Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jul 22, 2013
ALL I WANT TO SEE IS JESUS!

Re: Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja by Afam4eva(m): 4:26pm On Jul 22, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: Mary is important to Catholic and they honor her .what's wrong with and why does it bother u? mary interced for the people of Canaan . Jesus himself said his time was yet to come but Mary(that u called mere conduct to bring Jesus on earth) was the one who convinced him and made him accomplish his first miracle. if he wasn't for her Jesus wouldn't help them .
Honoring her is different from praying to her and also telling her to intercede on your behalf. It's the part where you guys pray to her and ask her to intercede that i have a grouse with. is it biblical?
Re: Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jul 22, 2013
Afam4eva:
But the question now is, did the bible say we can pray to Mary as an intercessor? Pls i need an answer

Did the bible specifically say that we have to pray to Jesus to intercede on our behalf. Yes or No?

Everything we need to know is in the bible. I don't know why we keep adding salt and pepper to Christianity.
scriptures . it doesn't have to b explicit or in full word, how do u call what happened in Canaan? undecided undecided
Mary interceding for Human is in the bible .so what's ur problem?
Re: Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja by Afam4eva(m): 4:28pm On Jul 22, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: scriptures . it doesn't have to b explicit or in full word, how do u call what happened in Canaan? undecided undecided
Mary interceding for Human is in the bible .so what's ur problem?
Thank you for admitting this. Now tell me what part of the bible that is.

1 Like

Re: Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja by Nobody: 4:28pm On Jul 22, 2013
Afam4eva:
Honoring her is different from praying to her and also telling her to intercede on your behalf. It's the part where you guys pray to her and ask her to intercede that i have a grouse with. is it biblical?
read the scripture about Canaan. that's all u need
Re: Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jul 22, 2013
Afam4eva:
Thank you for admitting this. Now tell me what part of the bible that is.
so u don't know?
Re: Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja by Afam4eva(m): 4:29pm On Jul 22, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: so u don't know?
No, i don't Direct me.

1 Like

Re: Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja by Beey(f): 4:33pm On Jul 22, 2013
Hey guys,it there's a long piece of writing & you don't wonna quote it all,how do you quote only the small portion that you are interested in?
Re: Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jul 22, 2013
Afam4eva:

The catholic church does not practice sola bible doctrine.The doctrine itself has no scriptural basis and was only a creation of martin luther in the sixteenth century.The catholic church had existed for more than 300 years before the bible was compiled in the late fourth century.

Once a practice and teaching have been verified by the church through the inspiration of the holy spirit.It would be applied in the church even though it is not in the bible provided it does not contradict any biblical teaching.

1 Like

Re: Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jul 22, 2013
Afam4eva:
No, i don't Direct me.

Though she enjoys the glory of heaven, the Virgin Mary is still lovingly concerned with the struggles of Christ's Body on earth. So she constantly prays for our needs with a mother's love.

Mary's intercession is entirely dependent on Jesus' role as the great Mediator (I Timothy 2:5). He is the One Way to the Father (John 14:6), all prayers to the Father must go through Him. Mary's prayers are no exception; she, too, prays to the Father in Jesus' Name.

We see a biblical example of Mary's intercession at the Wedding Feast in Cana (John 2:1-11). Mary notices that the couple has run out of wine, so she asks Jesus to help them (vs 2). Jesus agrees to do it, only He wants to keep it quiet because it is not yet time for Him to manifest Himself as Messiah (vs. 4). So she tells the servants to do whatever Jesus tells them to (vs 5), and He performs the miracle. Jesus helped that young couple because His Mother interceded for them! As she did on earth, she continues to do in heaven, and if He listened to her then, surely He will listen to her requests now.

Belief that the saints in heaven intercede for us is biblical! The Book of Revelation portrays the twenty-four elders as offering our prayers to God like incense (Revelation 5:cool. Those who sleep in Christ are still members of His Body, as are we. So we can ask them to pray for us the same way we would ask a fellow Christian on earth to pray for us.

Mary, of course, is a resurrected saint, as we saw in the article on the Assumption. She, too, is a member of the Body of Christ, so she, too, offers our prayers before the Throne of Grace

1 Like

Re: Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja by Afam4eva(m): 4:35pm On Jul 22, 2013
chukwudi44:

The catholic church does not practice sola bible doctrine.The doctrine itself has no scriptural basis and was only a creation of martin luther in the sixteenth century.The catholic church had existed for more than 300 years before the bible was compiled in the late fourth century.

Once a practice and teaching have been verified by the church through the inspiration of the holy spirit.It would be applied in the church even though it is not in the bible provided it does not contradict any biblical teaching.

But in this case it actually contradicts the bible.
Re: Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja by Afam4eva(m): 4:38pm On Jul 22, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE:

Though she enjoys the glory of heaven, the Virgin Mary is still lovingly concerned with the struggles of Christ's Body on earth. So she constantly prays for our needs with a mother's love.

Mary's intercession is entirely dependent on Jesus' role as the great Mediator (I Timothy 2:5). He is the One Way to the Father (John 14:6), all prayers to the Father must go through Him. Mary's prayers are no exception; she, too, prays to the Father in Jesus' Name.

We see a biblical example of Mary's intercession at the Wedding Feast in Cana (John 2:1-11). Mary notices that the couple has run out of wine, so she asks Jesus to help them (vs 2). Jesus agrees to do it, only He wants to keep it quiet because it is not yet time for Him to manifest Himself as Messiah (vs. 4). So she tells the servants to do whatever Jesus tells them to (vs 5), and He performs the miracle. Jesus helped that young couple because His Mother interceded for them! As she did on earth, she continues to do in heaven, and if He listened to her then, surely He will listen to her requests now.

Belief that the saints in heaven intercede for us is biblical! The Book of Revelation portrays the twenty-four elders as offering our prayers to God like incense (Revelation 5:cool. Those who sleep in Christ are still members of His Body, as are we. So we can ask them to pray for us the same way we would ask a fellow Christian on earth to pray for us.

Mary, of course, is a resurrected saint, as we saw in the article on the Assumption. She, too, is a member of the Body of Christ, so she, too, offers our prayers before the Throne of Grace

Mary interceding fo anyone is no different from Afam interceding for CAMEROONPRIDE. But you won't go down in prayer and say "Holy Afam, nwa Chineke(Son of God), intercede for me"

3 Likes

Re: Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja by Nobody: 4:38pm On Jul 22, 2013
Afam4eva:
But in this case it actually contradicts the bible.

it doesn't
Re: Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja by Phemmy99(m): 4:39pm On Jul 22, 2013
HARDEYLEKE:

What is this one saying?
don't mind him,,,he's such a dunce....
Re: Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja by Nobody: 4:41pm On Jul 22, 2013
Afam4eva:

Mary interceding fo anyone is no different from Afam interceding for CAMEROONPRIDE. But you won't go down in prayer and say "Holy Afam, nwa Chineke(Son of God), intercede for me"
so u are not comparing yourself with Mary? are u Virgin?
did an angel say to u that all generations should call u blessed? did u give birth to God? eh eh like i said you protestants don't know what u are doing or saying, i'm not even surprised .

1 Like

Re: Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja by kasheemawo(m): 4:43pm On Jul 22, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: sorry , I don't debate with protestants ..I look down on u , bunch of soulless people . u are clueless and clearly don't know how to defend your rebellion .

Catholic believe In holy trinity .

God the son God the Father and the holy spirit
Jesus is GOD in the Catholic church
Mary is the mother of JEsus so she is the mother of God

u are free to believe in it or say it doesn't make any sense ...Catholic don't care , u are entitled to your opinion , after all u believe in judgment day and that water can be turned to wine . so bug off and start questioning your Anglican church which foundations come from the selfish interests of a man who wanted to divorce. Mba
what a confusing religion,can u explain better how Jesus is/was God and remember that Jesus was also created d way Adam was created.attributing Jesus to be a God always piss me off. Is only jehovah witness i respect most among Christianity because they believe that Jesus was a mere a message and he was sent by most High
Re: Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja by Airhix(m): 4:45pm On Jul 22, 2013
Little wonder men do not understand the things of our God ! God choose to do what He wants to and How He wishes to reveal Himself to both the Righteous and the ungodly , friends , say what you know and leave what you know nothing about alone , go check out biblical references from the bible ! Please I employ anybody who cares to read this message , read the account of the TRANSFIGURATION of CHRIST ! Who told the apostles that the people who appeared were ABRAHAM,MOSES, and ELIJAH ! I pray that God have mercies and pardon some of you for your ignorance .
Re: Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja by free2ryhme: 4:46pm On Jul 22, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE::

A saying that is well known among Catholics is, "To Jesus, through Mary." This does not mean, "To Mary, through Jesus." Nor does it mean, "To Jesus and to Mary." This saying affirms that Catholics do not pray "to" Mary as an equal to God. They pray "through" Mary as an intercessor who prays to God on behalf of mankind.

If Catholics were to pray to Mary, this would imply that they are worshipping her as a god. But Catholics do not perceive Mary as a god. (i) They honour the Blessed Virgin Mary. (ii) The view Mary as the holiest of all the Saints. (iii) The accept the fact that Mary is the most successful Saint at obtaining Divine favours through her intercession.

show where it is in the bible that we should pray this way

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

What Can I Eat During White Fasting / Where Was God Coming From Before HE Started Creation? / Confession Of Sexual Sins At Bishop Obinim's Church By Members (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.