Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,988 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:49 AM

Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi (25953 Views)

Presidency Breaks Silence On Patience Jonathan's Whereabout / Presidency Silent On Patience Jonathans Whereabouts / Abacha's Daughter Lash-Out At Wole Soyinka On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by batteryempty(m): 7:30pm On Jul 22, 2013
He also said Romelu is a Kid....

slap1: LOL at Shepopotamus! Creative, I must say!

For those who think it's an insult, it's actually called a metaphor. The First Lady has carried herself, recently, in the manner of a hippo: bullish, uncordinated, destructive and over-zealous! So it's not actually a name-calling. If you recall during the days of Obasanjo's library, when Dangote, Adenuga and others were literally 'forced' to donate towards the library project (Adenuga was 'punished' for donating below the amount OBJ told him to donate), Soyinka termed the donation process 'executive extortion'. It's metaphor, people!

Last week, Jose Mourinho said his Chelsea players trained like animals. . .do you consider that an insult? NO!
Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by shineeye1: 7:33pm On Jul 22, 2013
When the masquerade abandons his dignified dance steps and begins to be carried away by the ovation from the crowd, he is very likely to demystify himself! Wole has overstepped dignity. Neither he nor any mortal is beyond error or correction. It is a shame that a supposed statesman would vacate issues and descend to mudslinging. Talking about HE and SHEpopotamus, are there none in Wole's family?

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jul 22, 2013
Why did this highly renowned Prof choose to be so childish? Many parents would feel ashamed if their teenage children spoke like he did.
Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by oloriooko(m): 7:58pm On Jul 22, 2013
[size=28pt]“A critic is a man who knows the way but can’t drive the car.” ~Kenneth Tynan[/size]
Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by chidexy(m): 8:03pm On Jul 22, 2013
Despicable of Wole Soyinka. I have nothing further to say
Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by talk2smat(m): 8:51pm On Jul 22, 2013
Ok. I will be right back
Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by OBAGADAFFI: 10:43pm On Jul 22, 2013
WildChild00: I'm

Checks and balance indeed! Was Wole Soyinka not in the country wen President Obasanjo's administartion was on? The wife of OBJ did same too, as to wat Mrs. Jonathan, why was WS so mute, why was he not granting/ abusing the late Stella? @ as den, or was he playing politics of region, as he is always known for. Or are u going to tell me that OBJ's administation too was a military regime.

WS was the biggest critic of OBJ, Infact I remember F.F.Kayode attacking WS on NTA. Today thesame Kayode is singing another tune.
Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by Nobody: 1:25am On Jul 23, 2013
WildChild00:

Checks and balance indeed! Was Wole Soyinka not in the country wen President Obasanjo's administartion was on? The wife of OBJ did same too, as to wat Mrs. Jonathan, why was WS so mute, why was he not granting/ abusing the late Stella? @ as den, or was he playing politics of region, as he is always known for. Or are u going to tell me that OBJ's administation too was a military regime.

Guy, instead of you to contribute constructively to the thread, you keep repeating the same thing all over. Why comparing a military regime with a civilian rule where there is freedom of speech, however Sir Wole has been an activist since the time of civil war till he was declared wanted during Abacha regime, and on more occasion.

Mr Soyinka criticised President Obasanjo's subsequent decision to impose emergency rule in Plateau State.

He said a national conference on human rights was needed to address relations between Nigeria's different groups.

He said the time was ripe for a conference of this kind, describing it as a "glaring imperative of survival".

He slammed a recent televised appeal for calm by President Obasanjo, describing it as "another one-man show, long on recriminations, short on perceptiveness".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3735857.stm
Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by Nobody: 5:44am On Jul 23, 2013
slap1: LOL at Shepopotamus! Creative, I must say!

For those who think it's an insult, it's actually called a metaphor. The First Lady has carried herself, recently, in the manner of a hippo: bullish, uncordinated, destructive and over-zealous! So it's not actually a name-calling. If you recall during the days of Obasanjo's library, when Dangote, Adenuga and others were literally 'forced' to donate towards the library project (Adenuga was 'punished' for donating below the amount OBJ told him to donate), Soyinka termed the donation process 'executive extortion'. It's metaphor, people!

Last week, Jose Mourinho said his Chelsea players trained like animals. . .do you consider that an insult? NO!
There are so many illiterates in Nigeria. Let them rant the more. What has Soyinka done wrong?

1 Like

Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by Nobody: 5:46am On Jul 23, 2013
alienvirus: Hey! What is the meaning of Shepopo pls?
It is a she that is popoing around without a competent he to tame it.
Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by Nobody: 5:49am On Jul 23, 2013
slap1: To PEJ's recent 'paroles': uncordinated, bullish, over-zealous and destructive. That's how a he or "sheppopotamus" actually behaves in reality.
Thanks!
Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by omar22(m): 6:31am On Jul 23, 2013
kingbang:

Good. Can you remember this statement? "If you want more unemployment and more job losses, then keep on striking. Don't blame me." ? (lashing out on strikers)
And this...

"I personally think it utterly disgraceful that any British person should put at risk the health of any sick person, old person or child merely because they want more money in their pockets when other people have settled for that same amount of increase they've been offered," she declared. (Addressing the The National Health Service dispute)

So whats the difference with PEJ reply to your shameless professor? Because she called his opinions of her a "disappointment"? Get real

That was directed at the Unions but in the she closed the the coal and mining industry and she was forced out of office, theirs a reason why they referred her to the Person with the eyes of CALIGULA
Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by Nobody: 9:17am On Jul 23, 2013
sad I respect Prof. Wole Soyinka alot but calling d first lady a shepoppotamus and other derogatory remarks is not a good example from an elder statesman. I believe there re other hard pressed ways to caution her actions even when its glaring dat she is derailing from her jurisdiction as d first lady. He is supposed to be an all role model. I believe a man of dat caliber shud not stoop so low because of d first lady's ignorance.
Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by Dee60: 9:19am On Jul 23, 2013
@seegobe:
new name for PEJ ......SHEPOPOTAMUS
cant laugh

Stop the name calling. Stop the abuses. You may criticize actions but dont abuse the actor. That is not civil. If the intention of WS is indeed to throw abuses (I tend to doubt that), then it is grossly wrong. The wife of the President also deserves respect!

1 Like

Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by Nobody: 10:15am On Jul 23, 2013
tpacalipse: There are so many illiterates in Nigeria. Let them rant the more. What has Soyinka done wrong?
it should not be mistaken dat inasmuch as METAPHORS is a part of the English language, it has a close relationship with derogatory remarks. And derogatory remarks are derogatory remarks whether be it a METAPHOR or not. Better put, he made a metaphorical but derogatory remark to d first lady, which is not acceptable from an elder statesman in addressing a common "woman" like d first lady. Men dnt exchange words with women, let alone an elder statesman.
Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by omar22(m): 12:16pm On Jul 23, 2013
Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by kingbang: 12:30pm On Jul 23, 2013
omar22:

That was directed at the Unions but in the she closed the the coal and mining industry and she was forced out of office, theirs a reason why they referred her to the Person with the eyes of CALIGULA

Whatever. I was just trying to let that kid know that people can disagree on issues without resorting to name calling. Soyinka has disappointed many people.
Re: Soyinka On Patience Jonathan & Link With Amaechi by sasho9ja(m): 10:46pm On Jul 23, 2013
Dee60:

Stop the name calling. Stop the abuses. You may criticize actions but dont abuse the actor. That is not civil. If the intention of WS is indeed to throw abuses (I tend to doubt that), then it is grossly wrong. The wife of the President also deserves respect!
I think you got it all wrong, the SHIPOPO has by her actions (directly/indirectly) declined ever being worthy of respect from corpse in the mortuary not to talk of "God's Own Country" filled with wonderful people like you and I.

Abeg make u park dat her mata 1 syd, she wey dey do lyk mumu wen she enta, now she heads an african commitiee on internet fraud or so. . . .wtf?
Person wey no sabi do anything than to jump protocols and cause chaos, wan do wetin?
Patience (hw many tyms i call u)?, beta go una village inquire if na u dem wan collect abi na Oga, cuz its almost obvious that only one person will live Aso-rock alive (like has been the trend).

9ja i Hail o.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Anisulowo After She Regained Her Freedom From Kidnappers (Photo) / Ex-Governor Mahmuda Shinkafi Joins APC / No Communion For Worshippers Without Pvcs - Father Matthew

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.