Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,767 members, 7,851,621 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 01:24 AM

UK Launches Campaign Urging Illegal Immigrants Go Home - Travel (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / UK Launches Campaign Urging Illegal Immigrants Go Home (29340 Views)

We Pay Between 300 - 500 Naira To Enter Nigeria – Illegal Immigrants (Pictured) / Illegal Immigrants In The US Will Be Entitled Citizenship / UK Illegal Immigrants ‘May Get Amnesty To Stay’ – Sky News (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UK Launches Campaign Urging Illegal Immigrants Go Home by Nobody: 6:38pm On Jul 30, 2013
justwise: [/b] Running away from immigration i guess

Olodo. This is not the UK where they chase you people all over town ok.
Re: UK Launches Campaign Urging Illegal Immigrants Go Home by coogar: 6:38pm On Jul 30, 2013
50calibre:
And they get chics drool over them like crazy! They spend big like there is no tomorrow

so unfair!!!

Lol America may not be the ideal destination for everyone, but its pretty cool though.

ideal destination? if you visit america and you fall sick then you are in trouble. your fat pockets would cop anorexia!!! it's the least favourite country i have visited.
Re: UK Launches Campaign Urging Illegal Immigrants Go Home by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jul 30, 2013
erico2k2:
LIE, America is a piss off shyte Mehnnnnn grin grin grin

Guy take time oo. angry
Re: UK Launches Campaign Urging Illegal Immigrants Go Home by 50calibre(m): 6:39pm On Jul 30, 2013
jackbauersballs:

Not the girls though...trust me grin grin

Hahahaha very very true, and they seem more welcoming than the average British girls. They also like black guys like a fat kid loves cake, probably because in Poland there aren't many black people so they see black people as exotic.

That's why their guys are mad and racist. Polish guys despite their hunger, are as racist, Neo-nazi as anyone can get
Re: UK Launches Campaign Urging Illegal Immigrants Go Home by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jul 30, 2013
A-town:

Common son, if there were NO jobs, the economy would grind to a halt. The arguement is that currently, a naija grad has better chances in naija. The UK economy is shrinking. Yes there are Nigerian professionals all over but there are also thousands who are jobless and lurking around when they can find better things to do in naija

Bruv...I've found that in the UK, the Sky is only the beginning...

The thousands of Nigerians who are jobless either have no papers or no skills....

The UK rewards skills like no man's land

I did a job last year for a Client..The Client is the UK's largest investment platform and their IT workforce is almost exclusively Asian and African with an average age of 22...

One of the guys I met there was recruited straight from Uni and is on a 45k salary...his first job in his life

If you have the skills in this country, they will find you...and reward you handsomely!
Re: UK Launches Campaign Urging Illegal Immigrants Go Home by Nobody: 6:44pm On Jul 30, 2013
coogar:

she's lucky she had the means to come back - many are stuck in naija now and gnashing their teeth in regret. unless you and someone in the senate or in power are on first name terms, there's nothing in nigeria!!!!

How about you also quote the case of others that went home and got good jobs in naija.
I know a guy who got his job with an oil major via networking on the plane back home. Does this mean everyone has the same result? There are tonnes that went home and are doing well. There are also others that stayed behind and are doing well. What you cannot argue is that there is a HUGE population of naija grads in the UK hanging in between without any job offers and returning to school with 1,2,3 and sometimes 4 degrees hoping that ellusive offer will show up.
Re: UK Launches Campaign Urging Illegal Immigrants Go Home by 50calibre(m): 6:44pm On Jul 30, 2013
coogar:

so unfair!!!

ideal destination? if you visit america and you fall sick then you are in trouble. your fat pockets would cop anorexia!!! it's the least favourite country i have visited.

That's why I say " may not be the ideal destination " but if you are in good health, American way of life is just in sharp contrast to that of the British, their roads ( the only place I've seen 8 lanes on each side of a dual carriage ) big SUVs, big food, big houses ( way bigger than that of the UK ), spacious land, friendly people. The only thing is there aren't many freebies there like the UK
Re: UK Launches Campaign Urging Illegal Immigrants Go Home by erico2k2(m): 6:47pm On Jul 30, 2013
50calibre:

And the funniest thing is the polish are very racist towards black people, they are poor, hungry and racist.
well I dont think so, at least their girls go out with Blacks.
Re: UK Launches Campaign Urging Illegal Immigrants Go Home by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jul 30, 2013
jackbauersballs:

Bruv...I've found that in the UK, the Sky is only the beginning...

The thousands of Nigerians who are jobless either have no papers or no skills....

The UK rewards skills like no man's land

I did a job last year for a Client..The Client is the UK's largest investment platform and their IT workforce is almost exclusively Asian and African with an average age of 22...

One of the guys I met there was recruited straight from Uni and is on a 45k salary...his first job in his life

If you have the skills in this country, they will find you...and reward you handsomely!

Are all Nigerian students the best in their respective fields? We are talking about percentages here and you guys are misyarning. Of course the best of the best will be hired. What happens to the others? Don't you need the JOB to get the papers so what are you guys on about. British-Nigerians do not count because this discourse is about illegal immigration and i don't see how that applies to them. We are talking about nigerians who studied in the UK that are nigerian citizens. You guys like deceiving yourselves. Are all Nigerian students in the UK smart? The same ones that dubb in class? We are talking reality and you guys are talking sumthn else. The fact that one person is brilliant and is scooped up does not mean the remaining 98% will

1 Like

Re: UK Launches Campaign Urging Illegal Immigrants Go Home by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jul 30, 2013
A-town:

What you cannot argue is that there is a HUGE population of naija grads in the UK hanging in between without any job offers and returning to school with 1,2,3 and sometimes 4 degrees hoping that ellusive offer will show up.

And therein lies the problem...

A lot of Nigerian Graduates today put a heavy emphasis on Kpali acquisition and NOT skill acquisition....

Why should you keep doing numerous degrees when your boss didn't even go to Uni?

You seem to think that graduates should be offered jobs on their degrees alone....that's not the case here my man.

You get judged on EXPERIENCE...ask anybody who has been through a graduate job process here...you are constantly asked to prove where and when you have exhibited certain skills in your past.

The loitering graduates in the UK today would probably be no better off in Nigeria because they lack the skills the employers need...
Re: UK Launches Campaign Urging Illegal Immigrants Go Home by coogar: 6:52pm On Jul 30, 2013
A-town:

How about you also quote the case of others that went home and got good jobs in naija.
I know a guy who got his job with an oil major via networking on the plane back home. Does this mean everyone has the same result? There are tonnes that went home and are doing well. There are also others that stayed behind and are doing well. What you cannot argue is that there is a HUGE population of naija grads in the UK hanging in between without any job offers and returning to school with 1,2,3 and sometimes 4 degrees hoping that ellusive offer will show up.

and i am telling you they are hanging in because after their degree, majority have less than 18 months left on their students visa. most companies refuse to hire them because of that factor. those that cannot cope go back to nigeria and those that have other plans in the pipeline either stay to get low-skilled jobs or where the issue of visa screening is not often checked!

don't throw a blanket statement that there are no jobs for naija graduates in the UK without looking at the underlying issues. if we discount graduates with visa issues, you would be hard-pressed to find a jobless nigerian that carries a british passport or residency!
Re: UK Launches Campaign Urging Illegal Immigrants Go Home by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jul 30, 2013
justwise:

Let me spend some time here to educate you fish brain, using the term: 'number 6' is because every Nigerian will understand that, i can as well ask you to think 'outside the box'

All your rants are based on assumptions, can we start with facts? The UK unemployment figure is 7.8%, source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10604117

The UK graduate employment figure stands at 61.8% http://www.prospects.ac.uk/latest_news_graduate_employment_rate_remains_stable.htm

91% of students who completed courses in 2012 were either in employment, involved in further study or training six months after they graduated. Source: http://www.theguardian.com/education/2013/jul/01/graduate-recruitment-survey

Give me your figure and source from Nigeria.

Like i said before, where did you school?
Where in your write-up does it state employment rate for nigerians in the UK. Comprehension is a problem for a lot of people. We are not comparing the overall unemployment rate in the UK to the overall unemployment rate in Nigeria. There is a reason why we are talking about the fall-outs of illegal immigration. Your copy and paste does not apply at all
Re: UK Launches Campaign Urging Illegal Immigrants Go Home by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jul 30, 2013
A-town:

Are all Nigerian students the best in their respective fields? We are talking about percentages here and you guys are misyarning. Of course the best of the best will be hired. What happens to the others? Don't you need the JOB to get the papers so what are you guys on about. British-Nigerians do not count because this discourse is about illegal immigration and i don't see how that applies to them. We are talking about nigerians who studied in the UK that are nigerian citizens. You guys like deceiving yourselves. Are all Nigerian students in the UK smart? The same ones that dubb in class? We are talking reality and you guys are talking sumthn else. The fact that one person is brilliant and is scooped up does not mean the remaining 98% will

I'm talking skills, you're mentioning 'smart'.

I have an Msc in Networking....and it's not on my CV

Why?

Because My CV is tailored to showcase my skillset...the only academic references on my CV are my relevant certifications

Shoots your argument out of water, dont it?

I continue to insist....Skill acquisition is KEY...not your University Certificate...especially in the UK...and the Young Nigerian Grads that have grasped that truth are thriving big time...
Re: UK Launches Campaign Urging Illegal Immigrants Go Home by Nobody: 6:56pm On Jul 30, 2013
coogar:

and i am telling you they are hanging in because after their degree, majority have less than 18 months left on their students visa. most companies refuse to hire them because of that factor. those that cannot cope go back to nigeria and those that have other plans in the pipeline either stay to get low-skilled jobs or where the issue of visa screening is not often checked!

don't throw a blanket statement that there are no jobs for naija graduates in the UK without looking at the underlying issues. if we discount graduates with visa issues, you would be hard-pressed to find a jobless nigerian that carries a british passport or residency!
That is my point. You have to consider the "paper" issue because it is being used as a criterion. If they can not get jobs because of papers then there are no jobs for them. That principle does not apply to them in nigeria. They don't have that restriction in nigeria. That is why i maintain they have a better chance getting a job in nigeria. Not everyone can be the best of the best. The brightest will be selected but what happens to the others? They stand a better chance in Nigeria than doing menial jobs hoping that "offer" will some day show up.
Re: UK Launches Campaign Urging Illegal Immigrants Go Home by coogar: 6:57pm On Jul 30, 2013
A-town:

Where in your write-up does it state employment rate for nigerians in the UK. Comprehension is a problem for a lot of people. We are not comparing the overall unemployment rate in the UK to the overall unemployment rate in Nigeria. There is a reason why we are talking about the fall-outs of illegal immigration. Your copy and paste does not apply at all

his copy and paste job makes sense....
what his comment is saying is this - 6 out of 10 nigerian graduates that have the rights to work in the UK are in full employment.

A-town:

That is my point. You have to consider the "paper" issue because it is being used as a criterion. If they can not get jobs because of papers then there are no jobs for them. That principle does not apply to them in nigeria. They don't have that restriction in nigeria. That is why i maintain they have a better chance getting a job in nigeria. Not everyone can be the best of the best. The brightest will be selected but what happens to the others? They stand a better chance in Nigeria than doing menial jobs hoping that "offer" will some day show up.

even with the paper issue, it's still easier in the UK to find a job than in nigeria. there are millions of illegal immigrants in employment too. it's about common sense and determination. the rights to work is the only stumbling block for a nigerian graduate in the UK!

a nigerian graduate in nigeria, in spite of the right to work, has no hope. if they do, there wouldn't be an estimated 40 million jobless youths unemployed! hell, the employers actually think far majority of the nigerian grads in nigeria are unemployable plus there are no jobs to even go round for the staggering population.

1 Like

Re: UK Launches Campaign Urging Illegal Immigrants Go Home by kandiikane(m): 6:58pm On Jul 30, 2013
jackbauersballs:

And therein lies the problem...

A lot of Nigerian Graduates today put a heavy emphasis on Kpali acquisition and NOT skill acquisition....

Why should you keep doing numerous degrees when your boss didn't even go to Uni?

You seem to think that graduates should be offered jobs on their degrees alone....that's not the case here my man.

You get judged on EXPERIENCE...ask anybody who has been through a graduate job process here...you are constantly asked to prove where and when you have exhibited certain skills in your past.

The loitering graduates in the UK today would probably be no better off in Nigeria because they lack the skills the employers need...

I agree, that's why they put emphasis on looking for work experience before finishing university because then it's easier to get employed even by the company you did your work experience with.

What I've noticed though is that having a degree alone won't get you a job but add experience with that or having your masters(This still depends on the field you're going into) will help you even more. For eg. A friend of mine(Nigerian) finished his degree and started working in Aldi and went on to do his masters in international relations and he ended up getting a job in yemen through UN.
Re: UK Launches Campaign Urging Illegal Immigrants Go Home by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jul 30, 2013
jackbauersballs:

I'm talking skills, you're mentioning 'smart'.

I have an Msc in Networking....and it's not on my CV

Why?

Because My CV is tailored to showcase my skillset...the only academic references on my CV are my relevant certifications

Shoots your argument out of water, dont it?

I continue to insist....Skill acquisition is KEY...not your University Certificate...especially in the UK...and the Young Nigerian Grads that have grasped that truth are thriving big time...

Everyone can not get those skills. To get the much needed experience and skills in the UK, don't they need the job? To get the job, don't they need the papers? You are talking as if you don't know the reality of the situation. It's tough out there for naija grads jare. Lets stop sugar-coating things.
Re: UK Launches Campaign Urging Illegal Immigrants Go Home by ckkris: 7:00pm On Jul 30, 2013
justwise:

What is your definition of wealth creation?
Haa Haa Haa a a o o o o. Laughing under tropical African breeze.
Re: UK Launches Campaign Urging Illegal Immigrants Go Home by Nobody: 7:01pm On Jul 30, 2013
coogar:

his copy and paste job makes sense....
what his comment is saying is this - 6 out of 10 nigerian graduates that have the rights to work in the UK are in full employment.

Excuse you? Wrong my friend. Once again, this topic is not about those that have "rights" to work or citizens of the UK. The topic addresses illegal immigration. How do the peopl you talk about fall into this category?
Re: UK Launches Campaign Urging Illegal Immigrants Go Home by kandiikane(m): 7:01pm On Jul 30, 2013
A-town:

Everyone can not get those skills. To get the much needed experience and skills in the UK, don't they need the job? To get the job, don't they need the papers? You are talking as if you don't know the reality of the situation. It's tough out there for naija grads jare. Lets stop sugar-coating things.

You can get skills through work experience and it's normally best to seek work experience at the end of your first year or second year.
Re: UK Launches Campaign Urging Illegal Immigrants Go Home by olusola200: 7:05pm On Jul 30, 2013
NOTHING IN UK AGAIN OUR PEOPLE HAS RUIN THEM . THEY HAVE TRY PLEASE CHANGE BASE NIJA IS WORSE FOR NOW
Re: UK Launches Campaign Urging Illegal Immigrants Go Home by coogar: 7:06pm On Jul 30, 2013
A-town:

Excuse you? Wrong my friend. Once again, this topic is not about those that have "rights" to work or citizens of the UK. The topic addresses illegal immigration. How do the peopl you talk about fall into this category?

the topic does not address illegal immigration - the topic has been derailed since page 1 by afam. the topic of discussion as we speak is the chances of a nigerian graduate in the UK in comparison to nigeria.....

and i am saying the nigerian grad in the UK has about 50% chance to gain employment whilst his counterpart in nigeria has about 5% chance. many of the jobs the grads in nigeria do, if you consider the wages, cannot even be reckoned with!

1 Like

Re: UK Launches Campaign Urging Illegal Immigrants Go Home by Nobody: 7:06pm On Jul 30, 2013
A-town:

Mr Man, I'm telling you my own story and you're still saying rubbish...

Do you know how many African and Asian grads are sponsored yearly as a result of their skills EVEN with the crackdown on immigration?

A friend in Manchester got 2 Sponsorship offers from BT in Suffolk and HP in Warrington based on his Web Portfolio.

Another got sponsorship with Oracle in Reading...

My own younger sister was doing freelance design work while studying for her MA in Digital Design...She's working with Saatchi&Saatchi now

Your statement has already exposed your level of thinking:
Everyone can not get those skills.

You no wan know book, but you wan make dem pay you? grin
Re: UK Launches Campaign Urging Illegal Immigrants Go Home by justwise(m): 7:08pm On Jul 30, 2013
A-town:

You are complete waste of space, do they have to create a separate static for Nigerian graduate in the UK? You keep shifting from one pointless argument to another.

Show me the figure for graduate employment in Nigeria, do that and stop making a complete fool of yourself here.
Re: UK Launches Campaign Urging Illegal Immigrants Go Home by Nobody: 7:12pm On Jul 30, 2013
coogar:

the topic does not address illegal immigration - the topic has been derailed since page 1 by afam. the topic of discussion is the chances of a nigerian graduate in the UK in comparison to nigeria.....

and i am saying the nigerian grad in the UK has about 50% chance to gain employment whilst his counterpart in nigeria has about 5% chance. many of the jobs the grads in nigeria even do if you consider the wages cannot even be reckoned with!

There lies the problem. Don't you think it's better to work in a bank in nigeria and make 100-200k than wasting time in the UK? Of course if you're one of the lucky few that lands a white collar job in the UK sure, go for it.
One thing we also fail to acknowlege is that most of the opportunities we refer to are prevailent in STEM degrees. We have thousands of nigerian students in the UK studying other degrees in the arts as well that don't have as many opportunities. Maybe pre-2008, all the stuff you guys are yarning may have applied, but to say 50% chance in 2013 in the UK for a naija grad is "wishful" thinking. Even the US of morrrafaaackn A where employment chances are better (i hope we don't have to argue that), you can not say 50% chance.
Re: UK Launches Campaign Urging Illegal Immigrants Go Home by Nobody: 7:14pm On Jul 30, 2013
justwise:

You are complete waste of space, do they have to create a separate static for Nigerian graduate in the UK? You keep shifting from one pointless argument to another.

Show me the figure for graduate employment in Nigeria, do that and stop making a complete fool of yourself here.

I will continue debating with the others and ignore you because all you know how to do is curse. Come back when you've learnt how to write proper english
Re: UK Launches Campaign Urging Illegal Immigrants Go Home by Nobody: 7:17pm On Jul 30, 2013
jackbauersballs:

Mr Man, I'm telling you my own story and you're still saying rubbish...

Do you know how many African and Asian grads are sponsored yearly as a result of their skills EVEN with the crackdown on immigration?

A friend in Manchester got 2 Sponsorship offers from BT in Suffolk and HP in Warrington based on his Web Portfolio.

Another got sponsorship with Oracle in Reading...

My own younger sister was doing freelance design work while studying for her MA in Digital Design...She's working with Saatchi&Saatchi now

Your statement has already exposed your level of thinking:

You no wan know book, but you wan make dem pay you? grin

Guy, why are we going over the same thing over and over.
When looking at statistics you can not just use the top end of the scale to judge. You use an average. Good for you that you were able to make something for yourself. Not everyone will be like you. There will be poor, average, good, and the best students. We are talking about how the stats affect the good and average students. Of course the best of the best will be taken but does employment for the best of the best indicate that job opportunities abound? It actually butresses my point that jobs are dwindling because if there were surplus jobs, you wouldn't have to be exceptional to land one. Am i making sense?
Re: UK Launches Campaign Urging Illegal Immigrants Go Home by coogar: 7:20pm On Jul 30, 2013
A-town:

There lies the problem. Don't you think it's better to work in a bank in nigeria and make 100-200k than wasting time in the UK? Of course if you're one of the lucky few that lands a white collar job in the UK sure, go for it.

you are a fantasist - how many nigerian grads are earning 200k wages? the average starts with 50K for many years before getting upgraded whilst staying with their parents. the grads here have already understood the meaning of responsibility and £800/month wages in the UK is unthinkable!!!! who can survive on that in a month with rent, bills, transport and food in the UK?

One thing we also fail to acknowlege is that most of the opportunities we refer to are prevailent in STEM degrees. We have thousands of nigerian students in the UK studying other degrees in the arts as well that don't have as many opportunities. Maybe pre-2008, all the stuff you guys are yarning may have applied, but to say 50% chance in 2013 in the UK for a naija grad is "wishful" thinking

it's wishful thinking to you because you erroneously believe there are no nigerian graduates here that are british citizens. when you put them in your stats then things might become clearer to you!

Even the US of morrrafaaackn A where employment chances are better (i hope we don't have to argue that), you can not say 50% chance.

millions of low-paying jobs that barely support an individual. it's only in america i have seen nigerians working 3-5 jobs at a time to make ends meet and the total wages raked in per month is less than $3000.

na jobs be that?
Re: UK Launches Campaign Urging Illegal Immigrants Go Home by ckkris: 7:21pm On Jul 30, 2013
50calibre:

WTF! Which country isn't interested in attracting wealthy people? Do you know why the US fight so hard to ensure that the dollar remains the predominant trading currency?
Emphasis is on WEALTH CREATION. And one funny chap is asking me to define, as him be jamb. English men have perfected the culture of lies and deception, especially on how to live off OPM -other peoples' money. And Nigerians want to be like them, instead of learning how to CREATE WEALTH, which Nigeria has the manpower and the resources to do. Is South Korea in any way more endowed than Nigeria? Make you people go stay there, but those wey de here will keep inching forward.
Re: UK Launches Campaign Urging Illegal Immigrants Go Home by justwise(m): 7:23pm On Jul 30, 2013
A-town:

I will continue debating with the others and ignore you because all you know how to do is curse. Come back when you've learnt how to write proper english

Its funny when people who can not even spell correctly started acting like an English language professor, listen: Use spell check next time, odey.
Re: UK Launches Campaign Urging Illegal Immigrants Go Home by coogar: 7:27pm On Jul 30, 2013
ckkris: Emphasis is on WEALTH CREATION. And one funny chap is asking me to define, as him be jamb. English men have perfected the culture of lies and deception, especially on how to live off OPM -other peoples' money. And Nigerians want to be like them, instead of learning how to CREATE WEALTH, which Nigeria has the manpower and the resources to do. Is South Korea in any way more endowed than Nigeria? Make you people go stay there, but those wey de here will keep inching forward.

the fact that britain is the closest to nigeria amongst the developed world makes it attractive. add that to the language factor and you have a near-perfect scenario!

so what if they spend other people's money? the rich takes care of the poor and everyone is happy. wealth creation is vastly irrelevant! there's plenty of money generated in the system!

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (23) (Reply)

U.S Army Helicopter Crashes With 8 Soldiers On Board In Japan (Photos) / Terrible Accident At Oil Mill, Port-Harcourt As Young Man Was Crushed To Death / Four Boys Driving Recklessly, Survive A Freak Accident In Enugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.