Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,910 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:03 PM

OAU Ranked 8th In Africa And 1st In Nigeria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / OAU Ranked 8th In Africa And 1st In Nigeria (36719 Views)

University Of Ibadan Ranked Among World’s Top 800 Universities / University Of Ibadan Ranked Nigeria’s Best University, 8th In Africa / Date For Ndu 2nd Choice And 1st Choice Supplementary Post Ume Screening Exercise Is Out! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

OAU Ranked 8th In Africa And 1st In Nigeria by nirmy: 4:18am On Aug 06, 2013
In further confirmation of its academic excellence and intellectual supremacy over and above other Universities and Institutions of Higher Learning, the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, has, again, been rated the first and the best University in Nigeria and 8th in Africa.

The new webometric ranking released today, Monday, 5th August, 2013, by the Cybermetrics Lab of Spain (a world-renowned Research Council) and circulated round the world, moved Obafemi Awolowo University higher on the ladder from number 14 to number 8 in Africa. This is a development that academic analysts and managements of universities in Africa have hailed as a monumental leap for educational advancement in Nigeria. This is the first time that a Nigerian University would be so ranked consecutively.

It would be recalled that Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, was, early this year, rated by the Cybermetrics Lab of Spain as the first and the best University in Nigeria and 14th in Africa before the new webometric ranking that was released today.

Reacting, the Vice-Chancellor, Professor Bamitale Omole, attributed the giant strides recorded by his administration to the unparalleled research output, administrative acumen, technical know-how of the academic, administrative and technical staff of the University, adding that only a focused leadership, which is the hallmark of his management team, can produce such a spectacular feat.

Professor Bamitale Omole, then applauded the dedication to duty of all stakeholders in making sure that the ideals of the founding fathers of OAU become a reality in its entirety. He urged the Federal Government not to relent in its efforts to improve the funding of education, particularly for the universities, so that the increased penchant for travelling abroad to undergo academic programmes that could be taught better by our lecturers here in Nigeria would be a thing of the past.

http://www.oauife.edu.ng/2013/08/latest-webometric-ranking-again-oau-rated-the-best-in-nigeria-8th-in-africa/

12 Likes

Re: OAU Ranked 8th In Africa And 1st In Nigeria by nerodenero: 4:25am On Aug 06, 2013
Nice one for OAU but how reliable is the statistics?I would have loved to see the criteria used before they arrived at this conclusion.If the statistics are good enough,then congratulations to OAU.

4 Likes

Re: OAU Ranked 8th In Africa And 1st In Nigeria by seedord247(m): 4:49am On Aug 06, 2013
nerodenero: Nice one for OAU but how reliable is the statistics?I would have loved to see the criteria used before they arrived at this conclusion.If the statistics are good enough,then congratulations to OAU.

What criteria are you looking for?

Does OAU have computer library for students?

Does OAU have free wifi for student or any available internet for visitors ?

Doess OAU offer master degreee?

Does OAU gives scholarship or grant to students that score above 3.5 or probably 4.0.

Does OAU have any sport activity?

Tell me what OAU students or professors have produced or discover for the last 10 years...

Answer the question above......

Coming wih more question....

18 Likes

Re: OAU Ranked 8th In Africa And 1st In Nigeria by Acecube(m): 6:03am On Aug 06, 2013
seedord247:

Does OAU gives scholarship or grant to students that score above 3.5 or probably 4.0.

Tell me what OAU students or professors have produced or discover for the last 10 years...

unilorin has all the above plus fast {and non-striking} academic calendar

32 Likes

Re: OAU Ranked 8th In Africa And 1st In Nigeria by Temismith(f): 6:43am On Aug 06, 2013
Ok..... Noted
Re: OAU Ranked 8th In Africa And 1st In Nigeria by lanreni: 7:34am On Aug 06, 2013
With no beefs intended,I insist that d criteria for rankin needs to be known.they shuld be like 5 categories.Usin anoda major criteria,UNILAG,Convenant,UNILORIN or UNN may come first.dis is africa not Europe/USA.Besides,this blanket rankin doesn't help d universities know their specific deficiencies & areas they need to improve.sittin down in spain to rank universities thousands of kilometers away without considerin their diff peculiarities & realities on ground is sheer laziness as far as i am concerened.

12 Likes

Re: OAU Ranked 8th In Africa And 1st In Nigeria by seedord247(m): 7:43am On Aug 06, 2013
lanreni: With no beefs intended,I insist that d criteria for rankin needs to be known.they shuld be like 5 categories.Usin anoda major criteria,UNILAG,Convenant,UNILORIN or UNN may come first.dis is africa not Europe/USA.Besides,this blanket rankin doesn't help d universities know their specific deficiencies & areas they need to improve.sittin down in spain to rank universities thousands of kilometers away without considerin their diff peculiarities & realities on ground is sheer laziness as far as i am concerened.

GO TO SOUTH AFRICA AND SEE WHAT THEY CALL UNIVERSITY..

THEIR LECTURERS DONT GO ON STRIKE..

THEIR LECTURERS DONT ASK FOR BRIBE OR SLEEP WITH THEIR FEMALE STUDENTS.

THEIR ENVIRONMENT IS CONDUCIVE FOR LEARNING..

ITS A PITY THAT THEY STILL USE BLACKBOARD IN NIGERIA UNIVERSITY WHILE IN OTHER COUNTRIES THEY USE PROJECTOR TO TEACH STUDENT.

BRB

8 Likes

Re: OAU Ranked 8th In Africa And 1st In Nigeria by Nomski0(f): 8:43am On Aug 06, 2013
Finally! Nigeria's finally in top 10 african universities.
Re: OAU Ranked 8th In Africa And 1st In Nigeria by jmoore(m): 8:47am On Aug 06, 2013
Don't be deceived by webometrics, it has nothing to do with academic excellence.

"webometrics is a directory of world universities ranked according to their presence on the Web"

40 Likes

Re: OAU Ranked 8th In Africa And 1st In Nigeria by Ijawboi(m): 9:30am On Aug 06, 2013
Re: OAU Ranked 8th In Africa And 1st In Nigeria by Ijawboi(m): 9:37am On Aug 06, 2013
seedord247:

ITS A PITY THAT THEY STILL USE BLACKBOARD IN NIGERIA UNIVERSITY WHILE IN OTHER COUNTRIES THEY USE PROJECTOR TO TEACH STUDENT.

BRB
my school uses projector,
My environment is conducive for learning.. Wait wait y I dey even reply you, no be S.A wey person shot him wife for bathroom? Abeg relax joor. Idiat. Go buy land for deir na. Mumu

9 Likes

Re: OAU Ranked 8th In Africa And 1st In Nigeria by seedord247(m): 9:38am On Aug 06, 2013
Ijawboi: my school uses projector,
My environment is conducive for learning.. Wait wait y I dey even reply you, no be S.A wey person shot him wife for bathroom? Abeg relax joor. Idiat. Go buy land for deir na. Mumu

Lmmaooooo.... many are mad but few roam the street. grin

40 Likes

Re: OAU Ranked 8th In Africa And 1st In Nigeria by Akinsete19(m): 9:51am On Aug 06, 2013
Please if you don't have what to say, it is better for you to shout up your mouth, did you think that oau is just like advanced secondary school called university that most of you condemning the school attend, nothing founded in any university,polytechnic in africa that is not found in oau-ife, and am very sure that most of you condemning the school don't even know where the school is located talkless of knowing the school gate, the fact that you don't have the privileges of attending the school or you wrote post utme five times in the school without been admitted does not mean you to condemn the school, i am not a student of the school.

25 Likes

Re: OAU Ranked 8th In Africa And 1st In Nigeria by kzokul(m): 10:02am On Aug 06, 2013
Akinsete19: Please if you don't know what to it is better for you to shout up your mouth, did you think that oau is just like advanced secondary school called university that most of you criticism the school attend, nothing founded in any university,polytechnic in africa that is not found in oau-ife,get the fact right, and am very sure that most of you criticism the school don't even where the school is located talkless you knowing the school gate, the fact that you don't have the privilege or you wrote post utme five times in the school without being admitted does not mean you to criticise the school, i am not a student of the school.
What is he saying ooooo.......any interpreter in d ous plsssssss.....chaiiiiii

12 Likes

Re: OAU Ranked 8th In Africa And 1st In Nigeria by obalogy22(m): 10:11am On Aug 06, 2013
There are only 2 schools in d world,oau and others.i rep oba awon university,make u go hug transformer if u no dey satisfied.

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: OAU Ranked 8th In Africa And 1st In Nigeria by seedord247(m): 10:25am On Aug 06, 2013
kzokul:
What is he saying ooooo.......any interpreter in d ous plsssssss.....chaiiiiii

cheesy grin
Re: OAU Ranked 8th In Africa And 1st In Nigeria by Ijawboi(m): 10:26am On Aug 06, 2013
seedord247:

Lmmaooooo.... many are mad but few roam the street. grin
hahahaahahahaha F*CK YOU
Re: OAU Ranked 8th In Africa And 1st In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:02am On Aug 06, 2013
why not you think before you comment dont comment before you think,to avoid disgrace. A simple google searchwill sort out your palava
Peace Out.

[quote author=seedord247]

Coming wih more question.

1 Like

Re: OAU Ranked 8th In Africa And 1st In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:24pm On Aug 06, 2013
seedord247:

Beefing things.

1 Like

Re: OAU Ranked 8th In Africa And 1st In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:25pm On Aug 06, 2013
Cool
Re: OAU Ranked 8th In Africa And 1st In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:27pm On Aug 06, 2013
jmoore: Don't be deceived by webometrics, it has nothing to do with academic excellence.

"webometrics is a directory of world universities ranked according their presence on the Web"
Exxcatly,all this shows is that OAU-ites have a Propensity of whiling away Time online,probably on Facebook and Twiiter,Nairaland too

Don't bite me,na joke;but seriously sha,this List has nothing to do with Academic Standards

2 Likes

Re: OAU Ranked 8th In Africa And 1st In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:27pm On Aug 06, 2013
Congrats to OAU

4 Likes

Re: OAU Ranked 8th In Africa And 1st In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:30pm On Aug 06, 2013
Acecube: unilorin have all the above plus fast {and non-striking} academic calendar
Exactly,I think as of Today,Unilorin is a better Institution than OAU

15 Likes

Re: OAU Ranked 8th In Africa And 1st In Nigeria by oyinglory(f): 12:31pm On Aug 06, 2013
Kini kawa shey si!,as far as I'm concerned University of Ibadan is stil d 1st n d very BEST in Naija.
#hug transformer if u no gree#

8 Likes

Re: OAU Ranked 8th In Africa And 1st In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:31pm On Aug 06, 2013
seedord247:

BRB

Na wa which kind university still dey use blackboard? grin grin
Re: OAU Ranked 8th In Africa And 1st In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:32pm On Aug 06, 2013
Great Ife rules. We made: E. A. Adeboye, Fidelis Oyakhilome, Ama Pepple, Bisade Ologunde, Itse Sagay, Femi Falana, Abike Dabiri, O. C. J. Okocha, Rotimi Akeredolu, Ernest Ndukwe, Sam Ohuabunwa, Jimi Agbaje, Fred Agbaje, Segun Mimiko, Femi Mimiko, Victor Oladokun (Turning Point), Femi Ojudu, Olorunimbe Mamora, etc.

13 Likes

Re: OAU Ranked 8th In Africa And 1st In Nigeria by homesteady(m): 12:32pm On Aug 06, 2013
All this their fake fake ranking!
The criteria they use is - the number of students that graduate with 1st class. The fewer the 1st class students, the higher your chance of going high in the rating!

1 Like

Re: OAU Ranked 8th In Africa And 1st In Nigeria by Manlado: 12:33pm On Aug 06, 2013
Where is Covenant University?
114 first class from 1466 students.
School indeed.

Well done , OAU.
But there is much to be desired.

1 Like

Re: OAU Ranked 8th In Africa And 1st In Nigeria by yuzedo: 12:35pm On Aug 06, 2013
i attendeth Uncle Emeka Grammer School + Universeity. is a good school in abakalicki. more better dan dis oau school so dunno why is not leasted as d first. pls mod help and make my school to be first cos our motto is "up school oyege". tenk.

9 Likes

Re: OAU Ranked 8th In Africa And 1st In Nigeria by Tolexander: 12:38pm On Aug 06, 2013
See what webometric saw below with academic excellence that made them ranked OAU higher!

5 Likes

Re: OAU Ranked 8th In Africa And 1st In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:38pm On Aug 06, 2013
seedord247:

Nonsense
Re: OAU Ranked 8th In Africa And 1st In Nigeria by Maczeelly(m): 12:39pm On Aug 06, 2013
OAU NONII....Of the greatest ife.D Africa most beautiful campus.......HATERZ GO ;->;->;->

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Babcock University In Pictures / FUTA To Launch Satellite, NigeriaEdusat-1, Into Space On Thursday, 1st June 2017 / A Classroom In Abule Egba, Lagos Looks Like A Dustbin (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.