Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,124 members, 7,811,159 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:52 AM

FAITH=DOUBT, RELIGIOUS FAITH= Extreme Form Of Atheism. We Are All Atheists(2) - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / FAITH=DOUBT, RELIGIOUS FAITH= Extreme Form Of Atheism. We Are All Atheists(2) (10769 Views)

To Athiests, What Are Your Reasons For Dumping Religious Faith To Athiesm / The Glamour Of Atheism / The Cowardice Of Atheism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FAITH=DOUBT, RELIGIOUS FAITH= Extreme Form Of Atheism. We Are All Atheists(2) by greatgenius: 3:53pm On Aug 31, 2013
BTW @ Plaeton I'm out and as such using my phone so bare with me if it takes a while for my responses for now..
Re: FAITH=DOUBT, RELIGIOUS FAITH= Extreme Form Of Atheism. We Are All Atheists(2) by plaetton: 3:54pm On Aug 31, 2013
greatgenius: ok now I sort of know your position on those three questions..
Now that we have established a foundation I ask that we take one topic at a time and expatiate on it before we move to the next.

Let's start with God.. what exactly do you mean by pantheist atheism ? Are saying you believe everything is a manifestation of God yet believes this God does not exist? ..

Everything is the manifestation of one: Energy.

Like I said, god has too many problems as a conscious purposeful being.

Energy is simple. Simple to understand, simple to appreciate, simple to manipulate. In my view, if everything is just the sum of self-existent energy , then the idea of a creator, with all its problems and contradictions fly out the window.
With god thrown out the window, then we , as units of energy, then focus on creating our own reality, our own universe.

To a small extent, this is what has been happening over the past 250 yrs or so with the gradual but steady emasculation of religion.
Re: FAITH=DOUBT, RELIGIOUS FAITH= Extreme Form Of Atheism. We Are All Atheists(2) by MrTroll(m): 4:41pm On Aug 31, 2013
I think this thread has lost its focus. Nothing spoil though, make una continue. . .
Re: FAITH=DOUBT, RELIGIOUS FAITH= Extreme Form Of Atheism. We Are All Atheists(2) by plaetton: 4:52pm On Aug 31, 2013
Oh. I still have more ammunition.
I have not even gotten to the history of faith, and also the Nigerian examples of faith.

I am kinda disappointed that that no rebuttals are coming forth from our resident champions of religious sophistry.
Re: FAITH=DOUBT, RELIGIOUS FAITH= Extreme Form Of Atheism. We Are All Atheists(2) by greatgenius: 5:06pm On Aug 31, 2013
Before I reply your above post let me state my position simply numerically
1. God is the Source
2. There is only one God and nothing else exist but God..
3. She is the creator of all things in existence or the totality of all things in existence.
4. Thus He exist in all things in existence both "seen" and " unseen", The everything and the no-thing ..
5. We are all individuated aspect or manifestation of this BEING- God..

6. God is spirit ( what you and scientist have termed energy )..
7. Etc

As you can see I have said the same thing in different ways.. so again simply put
God is the source and we are all manifestations of this infinite being..
Re: FAITH=DOUBT, RELIGIOUS FAITH= Extreme Form Of Atheism. We Are All Atheists(2) by plaetton: 5:14pm On Aug 31, 2013
greatgenius: Before I reply your above post let me state my position simply numerically
1. God is the Source
2. There is only one God and nothing else exist but God..
3. She is the creator of all things in existence or the totality of all things in existence.
4. Thus He exist in all things in existence both "seen" and " unseen", The everything and the no-thing ..
5. We are all individuated aspect or manifestation of this BEING- God..

6. God is spirit ( what you and scientist have termed energy )..
7. Etc

As you can see I have said the same thing in different ways.. so again simply put
God is the source and we are all manifestations of this infinite being..

Yes, but with a big difference.
Once you refer energy as a being, then your are giving conscious and purposeful attributes to it.
So, you idea and mine might sound similar, but are millions of miles apart.

Like I said before, the problem with the idea of god is that it is supposed to be conscious and purposeful, and that is what contradicts everything about god and creates a lot of philosophical, religious and moral contradictions and conundrums.
Re: FAITH=DOUBT, RELIGIOUS FAITH= Extreme Form Of Atheism. We Are All Atheists(2) by MrTroll(m): 5:26pm On Aug 31, 2013
She is the creator, He exists, is also a spirit. Lemme hazard a guess, god is a hermaphroditic spirit undecided
Re: FAITH=DOUBT, RELIGIOUS FAITH= Extreme Form Of Atheism. We Are All Atheists(2) by plaetton: 5:29pm On Aug 31, 2013
Mr Troll: She is the creator, He exists, is also a spirit. Lemme hazard a guess, god is a hermaphroditic spirit undecided

I think the correct word is Androgenous. lol
Just wonder how he begat a male son.
Re: FAITH=DOUBT, RELIGIOUS FAITH= Extreme Form Of Atheism. We Are All Atheists(2) by greatgenius: 5:32pm On Aug 31, 2013
plaetton:

Everything is the manifestation of one: Energy.
ok so we agree on that . Only difference is you have denoted as energy and I have as GOD..

Like I said, god has too many problems as a conscious purposeful being.
what problems are we talking here because I don't see any.. care to throw some light on this?

Energy is simple. Simple to understand, simple to appreciate, simple to manipulate. In my view, if everything is just the sum of self-existent energy , then the idea of a creator, with all its problems and contradictions fly out the window.
actually is really simple to understand.. God/energy/universal force/consciousness or what you choose to denote it is self-evident.. you/people/ humans lack of understanding of her does not change anything
With god thrown out the window, then we , as units of energy, then focus on creating our own reality, our own universe
I don't know if this is news to you but as a creature created in the image and likeness of God with freewill ,you have always created YOUR OWN REALITY even from the beginning of time..

To a small extent, this is what has been happening over the past 250 yrs or so with the gradual but steady emasculation of religion.
no this is what has been happening since the beginning .. you have always created your reality.."God" is the observer ready to assist if you ask but you have always created your "world".
Re: FAITH=DOUBT, RELIGIOUS FAITH= Extreme Form Of Atheism. We Are All Atheists(2) by greatgenius: 5:46pm On Aug 31, 2013
plaetton:

Yes, but with a big difference.
Once you refer energy as a being, then your are giving conscious and purposeful attributes to it.
wow.. what are you made of. are you not an energy being..and speaking of being. what is a being? deos energy have consciousness?
So, you idea and mine might sound similar, but are millions of miles apart.
no we are not. it is understanding you lack but we will get to that.. lets proceed slowly

Like I said before, the problem with the idea of god is that it is supposed to be conscious and purposeful, and that is what contradicts everything about god and creates a lot of philosophical, religious and moral contradictions and conundrums.
care to explain how God being a conscious being contradicts everything about him? what are the everything about God that it contradicts..
Re: FAITH=DOUBT, RELIGIOUS FAITH= Extreme Form Of Atheism. We Are All Atheists(2) by greatgenius: 5:55pm On Aug 31, 2013
Mr Troll: She is the creator, He exists, is also a spirit. Lemme hazard a guess, god is a hermaphroditic spirit undecided
read my post again..God is spirit/energy and is the creator of all things in existence.. he/she/it is therefore all things.. she is limitless, boundless and can take on any form..in fact he is all forms.. get it..to say God is a he and not a she implies that there is something that God is not.
Re: FAITH=DOUBT, RELIGIOUS FAITH= Extreme Form Of Atheism. We Are All Atheists(2) by plaetton: 5:55pm On Aug 31, 2013
^^^
The problems with a conscious and purposeful god is that many questions inevitably arise as to who, when, and why regarding his mind and his purpose.
Inevitably, as human history attests, every one and every group becomes a self appointed interpreter for god's will and purpose. The rest becomes history.

So once we go on that path, it's deja vu all over again.

Now, on the other hand, when we study the workings of the universe , we see the ceaseless impersonal, purposeless pulsations of energy. Nothing else.
Everything else is the just creations of our minds.
Reality is quite different from our interpretations of it.

As an example, the universe has virtually remained more or less the same over the past 10,000yrs. Yet, see how our perceptions of the universe have undergone so many changes over that period.
So our perceptions of reality are always changing, not the realities themselves.

I mean look how many religious gods now fill the graveyards of history.
There are still few left, and presently grasping for air.
In time to come, they too will succumb to changing perceptions of reality.
Re: FAITH=DOUBT, RELIGIOUS FAITH= Extreme Form Of Atheism. We Are All Atheists(2) by UyiIredia(m): 6:08pm On Aug 31, 2013
Mr Troll: She ias the creator, He exists, is also a spirit. Lemme hazard a guess, god is a hermaphroditic spirit undecided

Sex as usually known is an attribute of an organism, but consciousness in humans knows not sex, ergo, you have females who act like men and men who act effiminate.
Re: FAITH=DOUBT, RELIGIOUS FAITH= Extreme Form Of Atheism. We Are All Atheists(2) by plaetton: 6:18pm On Aug 31, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Sex as usually known is an attribute of an organism, but consciousness in humans knows not sex, ergo, you have females who act like men and men who act effiminate.

That is not consciousness but hormonal imbalances.

But even, as you are implying, everything, everyone has both male and female attributes, some having more and some having less.
The merger of male and female attributes to form a union of one is what is called a marriage.

Therefore, A ring, symbolising completeness and a perfect union is used to cement that merger.

Boys are tied to their mothers and girls are tied to their fathers until they go out seek same from outside to complete themselves.
So, marriage is completeness. You are now one with both your masculine and feminine attributes: Your former androgenous state early in evolution.
Re: FAITH=DOUBT, RELIGIOUS FAITH= Extreme Form Of Atheism. We Are All Atheists(2) by greatgenius: 6:22pm On Aug 31, 2013
plaetton: ^^^
The problems with a conscious and purposeful god is that many questions inevitable arise as to who, when, and why regarding his mind and his purpose.
Inevitably, as human history attests, every one and every group becomes a self appointed interpreter for god's will and purpose. The rest becomes history.

So once we go on that path, it's deja vu all over again.

Now, on the other hand, when we study the workings of the universe , we see the ceaseless impersonal, purposeless pulsations of energy. Nothing else.
Everything else is the just creations of our minds.
Reality is quite different from our interpretations of it.

As an example, the universe has virtually remained more or less the same over the past 10,000yrs. Yet, see how our perceptions of the universe have undergone so many changes over that period.
So our perceptions of reality are always changing, not the realities themselves.

I mean look how many religious gods now fill the graveyards of history.
There are still few left, and presently grasping for air.
In time to come, they too will succumb to changing perceptions of reality.
OK this is what i didn't want happening. going all over the place..i can asnwer your contentions quote by quote but it will only lead to arguments which is not my purpose for engaging you.. i want us to discuss with an open mind..

your problem is what i call living in The illusion of separation.. you think god and all things are separate from you.(sort of like cells in your feet "thinking" they are separate from you whole being or feet).so what i would like is to start from the beginning- the god concept and see if we can agree on something.. actually we do agree on something-( all things in existence =God/energy). you have denoted it as energy, and i have as God..

now you have a problem with seeing God as conscious. so my next question was do you think this energy(which i have called God) which is in all things conscious. Do you also agree that you are an amalgamation of this packets of energy?

p/s. speaking of everything is just creations of our minds, actually everything is creation of mind. including the universe. the universe is a mental universe. we are all projections of consciousness..everything is mental. form is an illusion..matter is an illusion..but like i said i dont want us to run in circles so we will get to that part later..
Re: FAITH=DOUBT, RELIGIOUS FAITH= Extreme Form Of Atheism. We Are All Atheists(2) by plaetton: 8:04pm On Aug 31, 2013
@greatgenius
Why don't you open a separate thread so we can continue with this particular line line of discussion.

On this thread, I want focus on my theme of proving that faith is actually extreme doubt.
Re: FAITH=DOUBT, RELIGIOUS FAITH= Extreme Form Of Atheism. We Are All Atheists(2) by MrTroll(m): 11:17pm On Aug 31, 2013
plaetton: @greatgenius
Why don't you open a separate thread so we can continue with this particular line line of discussion.

On this thread, I want focus on my theme of proving that faith is actually extreme doubt.
phew!
I just de look you since...
Re: FAITH=DOUBT, RELIGIOUS FAITH= Extreme Form Of Atheism. We Are All Atheists(2) by greatgenius: 11:42pm On Aug 31, 2013

On this thread, I want focus on my theme of proving that faith is actually extreme doubt
well that is a non issue really expect for those who do not understand..if faith/certainty is the opposite of doubt then of course they are one and the same..they are both extremes of the same thing.. just as saying black and white, light/darkness , love/hate are one and the same thing.. it is a dichotomy but true at the same time..

The Is and the Isnot. I spoke on this on a thread some time back and no one seemed to understand .For instance, God is both the everything and the nothing.. He is everywhere and nowhere in particular...

Once you step out of the illusion and begin to see the core or unity in all things then everything suddenly makes sense..
I purposefully make it a habit to not engage in the Is, Isnot arguments because it leads nowhere..

The prove to me that God exists/exists not arguments are futile and leads no where..
Because one thing is for sure you cannot prove or disprove a TRUTH. It simply IS..

what is needed is understanding. Understanding of any problem solves the problem..

P/s will try to open a thread about our discussion later on so we can continue. You are also more than welcome to open one..

1 Like

Re: FAITH=DOUBT, RELIGIOUS FAITH= Extreme Form Of Atheism. We Are All Atheists(2) by Nobody: 10:51am On Sep 01, 2013
texanomaly: why not the bolded?

musKeeto: All the unnecessary obfuscations... Well, it was to be expected.

let's assume we have 5 points

A B C D E

God being God, knows that given an option to pick 3, a man might decide to pick any in whatever permutation. But this isn't omniscient.

Being omniscient means God knows exactly what options he will pick, and in what order. e.g B A C or D B A.

Like I said on an earlier thread, omnisicient isn't just about probabilities. God knows FOR CERTAIN WHAT will happen else, he fails to be OMNISCIENT.

The problem is this knowledge isn't limited to the now. GOD, BEING OMNISCIENT KNOWS WHAT MY UNBORN DESCENDANT 3 GENERATIONS AWAY WOULD DO.

They've not been born, yet their actions have already been known. By knowing, God has made them set. If they deviate from what God already knows, then God seizes to be omniscient. Else, their 'freewill' is just an illusion. They're only acting according to God's foreknowledge, just like the characters in a story must bend to the will of the writer.

And with this, I end my case...
May the verbal gymnastics continue...

Re: FAITH=DOUBT, RELIGIOUS FAITH= Extreme Form Of Atheism. We Are All Atheists(2) by Nobody: 10:53am On Sep 01, 2013

Nice one. I may invite myself.
Re: FAITH=DOUBT, RELIGIOUS FAITH= Extreme Form Of Atheism. We Are All Atheists(2) by texanomaly(f): 3:51pm On Sep 01, 2013
aManFromMars:

This is supposition. This is not proof. You'll have to do better than this to convince me Babe. wink
Re: FAITH=DOUBT, RELIGIOUS FAITH= Extreme Form Of Atheism. We Are All Atheists(2) by truthislight: 6:28pm On Sep 01, 2013
Yeah ! Talking about 'freewill'

Logicboy03:
God who knows everything but gives
freewill can not (exist)

(Jeremiah 18:7-10).

"At the instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to pluck it up, and to pull it down, and to destroy it; If that nation, against whom I have pronounced, turn from their evil, I will repent of the evil that I thought to do unto them.
And at the instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to build it and to plant it; If it do evil in my sight, that it obey not my voice, then I will repent of the good, wherewith I said I would benefit them." (Jeremiah 18:7-10).

Dose not ones actions count ?
Re: FAITH=DOUBT, RELIGIOUS FAITH= Extreme Form Of Atheism. We Are All Atheists(2) by Nobody: 6:34pm On Sep 01, 2013
truthislight: Yeah ! Talking about 'freewill'

(Jeremiah 18:7-10).

"At the instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to pluck it up, and to pull it down, and to destroy it; If that nation, against whom I have pronounced, turn from their evil, I will repent of the evil that I thought to do unto them.
And at the instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to build it and to plant it; If it do evil in my sight, that it obey not my voice, then I will repent of the good, wherewith I said I would benefit them." (Jeremiah 18:7-10).

Dose not ones actions count ?

Your problem is that you are theologically/scripturally mature but not philosophically mature.

Quoting scripture does not. solve the contradiction between omniscience and freewill

1 Like

Re: FAITH=DOUBT, RELIGIOUS FAITH= Extreme Form Of Atheism. We Are All Atheists(2) by truthislight: 7:58pm On Sep 01, 2013
Logicboy03:

Your problem is that you are theologically/scripturally mature but not philosophically mature.

Quoting scripture does not. solve the contradiction between omniscience and freewill

you lost me there ^.

Is the word Omniscience in the bible ?
Re: FAITH=DOUBT, RELIGIOUS FAITH= Extreme Form Of Atheism. We Are All Atheists(2) by MrTroll(m): 1:03am On Sep 02, 2013
truthislight:

you lost me there ^.

Is the word Omniscience in the bible ?
is your god omniscient or not?
Re: FAITH=DOUBT, RELIGIOUS FAITH= Extreme Form Of Atheism. We Are All Atheists(2) by truthislight: 7:58am On Sep 02, 2013
Mr Troll: is your god omniscient or not?

The bible is my guide.

If the word is not in the bible, am not interested in words humans coin and gives definition they like.

Peace
Re: FAITH=DOUBT, RELIGIOUS FAITH= Extreme Form Of Atheism. We Are All Atheists(2) by Nobody: 8:46am On Sep 02, 2013
truthislight:

The bible is my guide.

If the word is not in the bible, am not interested in words humans coin and gives definition they like.

Peace

Mr. Troll......you must clap for this guy’s evasive tactics! Are you trolling or what?

Doesnt your bible say that God knows everything?
Re: FAITH=DOUBT, RELIGIOUS FAITH= Extreme Form Of Atheism. We Are All Atheists(2) by truthislight: 8:52am On Sep 02, 2013
Logicboy03:

Mr. Troll......you must clap for this guy’s evasive tactics! Are you trolling or what?

Doesnt your bible say that God knows everything?

What has that ^ to do with "freewill" ?
Re: FAITH=DOUBT, RELIGIOUS FAITH= Extreme Form Of Atheism. We Are All Atheists(2) by Nobody: 8:55am On Sep 02, 2013
1 JOhn 3:20
If our hearts condemn us, we know that God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything
Re: FAITH=DOUBT, RELIGIOUS FAITH= Extreme Form Of Atheism. We Are All Atheists(2) by Nobody: 9:46am On Sep 02, 2013
truthislight:

What has that ^ to do with "freewill" ?

If your future is already known, then you have no freewill. You are just on the path that God chose
Re: FAITH=DOUBT, RELIGIOUS FAITH= Extreme Form Of Atheism. We Are All Atheists(2) by truthislight: 9:48am On Sep 02, 2013
aManFromMars: 1 JOhn 3:20
If our hearts condemn us, we know that God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything

^

that is talking about God's forgiveness.

If someone that has repented or that made a mistake is regrating it and his heart still troubles him with guilt, that he should trust God that he is 'greater than the heart' of man and understand our weaknesses and will forgive.

Hence, that ^ should encourage the individual to keep on the good fight and continue doing what is good:

"Like as a father pitieth his children, so the LORD pitieth them that fear him. For he knoweth our frame; he remembereth that we are 'dust' ." (Psalm 103:13-14).
Re: FAITH=DOUBT, RELIGIOUS FAITH= Extreme Form Of Atheism. We Are All Atheists(2) by truthislight: 9:52am On Sep 02, 2013
Logicboy03:

If your future is already known, then you have no freewill. You are just on the path that God chose

How does God 'knowing everything that is happening' equate to his 'predestining all humans' ?

"At what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, and to pull down, and to destroy it; If that nation, against whom I have pronounced, turn from their evil, I will repent of the evil that I thought to do unto them. And at what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant it; If it do evil in my sight, that it obey not my voice, then I will repent of the good, wherewith I said I would benefit them." (Jeremiah 18:7-10).

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply)

Who's Your Best Bible Character? / *****the Dangers Of Premarital Sex ***** / 9 Reasons Why God Allows Trials And Tribulations.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.